Author Topic: Please share your triumph of the day  (Read 799702 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: Please share your triumph of the day
« Reply #4320 on: December 05, 2017, 07:31:25 PM »
Woke up to a plate full of new work, about to dive in.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #4321 on: December 05, 2017, 08:23:46 PM »
Over the past 11 months, I've been downgraded from "oh shit" type 2 diabetes, to "just" type 2 diabetes, to now "just" prediabetic.
yar

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4322 on: December 05, 2017, 08:26:53 PM »
Congrats

Tasty

« Reply #4323 on: December 05, 2017, 09:15:01 PM »
Didn't know that was possible. Congrats.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #4324 on: December 05, 2017, 09:16:47 PM »
Yeah, like Tasty Meat, I thought insulin sensitivity was impossible to restore. Super happy for you man.
每天生气

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #4326 on: December 06, 2017, 12:25:14 AM »
Yeah, type 2 diabetes is very manageable, it's just a pain in the ass and most people choose to take metformin or other drugs to manage it. I did it all via diet and exercise. Mostly diet. I don't drink beer, eat sugary stuff, or eat any high carb anything anymore. Which sucks, because bread and potatoes are the best. BUT NO.
yar

shosta

« Reply #4327 on: December 06, 2017, 01:05:05 AM »
My dad's diabetic now and doesn't take his meds because "there's a low risk of sudden death [lol] and you can get the same results via diet and exercise". But he doesn't do the diet and exercise. So it's just all talk and an excuse for him to not manage his disease.
每天生气

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4328 on: December 06, 2017, 01:44:23 AM »
My dad's diabetic now and doesn't take his meds because "there's a low risk of sudden death [lol] and you can get the same results via diet and exercise". But he doesn't do the diet and exercise. So it's just all talk and an excuse for him to not manage his disease.
I hate this. Might as well keep it secret. Screw the creeping dread routine.

The only way to make this complete is if he's in health care.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #4329 on: December 06, 2017, 02:12:41 AM »
That's for type 1.  http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/type-2-diabetes-can-be-reversed-say-canadian-researchers-1.3399207

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/dec/05/radical-diet-can-reverse-type-2-diabetes-new-study-shows

Well he's right and wrong. T2D is indeed a loss of sensitivity to insulin. But not impossible to restore, no.
T1D is a loss of insulin production, which is why it was always the "easier" one to manage.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:snob
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4330 on: December 06, 2017, 08:08:09 AM »
Yeah, type 2 diabetes is very manageable, it's just a pain in the ass and most people choose to take metformin or other drugs to manage it. I did it all via diet and exercise. Mostly diet. I don't drink beer, eat sugary stuff, or eat any high carb anything anymore. Which sucks, because bread and potatoes are the best. BUT NO.

You are amazing. I know it was the Sword of Damocles, but recognize that the decision to control it was YOU.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #4331 on: December 06, 2017, 09:12:19 AM »

Not only is Metformin good for treating diabetes,it's being seen as an anti aging drug.

https://www.wired.com/story/this-pill-promises-to-extend-life-for-a-nickel-a-pop/

https://www.nature.com/articles/npjamd201621
Metformin and acarbose are now considered to be possible anti-aging drugs which are ready for a clinical trial in the US.4 Researchers have already proven that the diabetes drug metformin extends the life span of animals,5 and the Food and Drug Administration in the US has now given a go for a trial to see if the same effects can be replicated in humans.

Now people can have diabetes forever.  :anhuld
©ZH

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #4332 on: December 06, 2017, 05:32:31 PM »

No beer!? Nah fuck that, id be on that metformin asap. Will of steel.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #4333 on: December 06, 2017, 06:01:54 PM »

No beer!? Nah fuck that, id be on that metformin asap. Will of steel.

You can have all the liquor you want as long as you don't mix it with fruity, sugary bullshit. Distillation basically kills the carb count, even if you're talking about vodka that was made from f'n potatoes.
yar

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4334 on: December 06, 2017, 06:38:57 PM »
Vodka sodas all night long

shosta

« Reply #4335 on: December 06, 2017, 10:42:23 PM »
Today I was uncommonly productive. I'm overwhelmed by motivation and my life burns with purpose. I'm better than happy; I'm insatiably alive.
每天生气

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #4336 on: December 07, 2017, 03:51:53 AM »
Got summoned into the dean’s office yesterday. He told me my immediate superiors decided I’m eligible for a bonus of 1.000 € for outstanding performance and that he and the university’s HR department approved of it  :leon

I’m puzzled frankly because I don’t really have a clue of why I earned this bonus. The dean didn’t go into details and just said I should speak with my immediate superiors about it. I think I mentioned here that I’m suffering from untreated ADHD, and that my performance at work suffered because of it, which is why I decided to seek treatment in the first place.

But therapy only started this summer and while things got better, I’ve still got a long way to go. So maybe I overestimated my issues at work. But then again, to alleviate my supposed performance issues I do a lot of work, particularly shit no one else wants to do, so maybe it’s that.

Anyway, it’s a nice surprise. Maybe I’ll stop being a cheapskate and just buy Watch Dogs 2 for 30 bucks instead of waiting until price drops to 20.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4337 on: December 07, 2017, 03:52:31 AM »
Today I was uncommonly productive. I'm overwhelmed by motivation and my life burns with purpose. I'm better than happy; I'm insatiably alive.
USER WAS WARNED FOR EMOTIONAL WHATABOUTISM

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4338 on: December 07, 2017, 03:59:10 AM »
The work which was dropped on me has continued and looks like will be in full force at least until the 15th. Pretty stoked.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #4339 on: December 07, 2017, 04:12:07 AM »
Beer sucks. It can be a nice hot day drink, but it’s far too ineffective as an alcohol delivery mechanism. I notice that most people I used to beer party with when younger have moved on to light beer, which is even more shameful. These people have forgotten the purpose of drinking.

Note that aside from heat, I’ll allow an exception for Belgian ales.  Otherwise, beer is a drink for children and women.
serge

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #4340 on: December 07, 2017, 04:55:50 AM »
Lol this isn’t directed against you, just speaking in general, but I like when nerds that don’t drink beer pretend that they’re some hardcore barfly, guzzling only the hard shit, or affecting to be a some cultured wine connoisseur or something. When the reality is that they get jittery after a can of soda.

Snark aside, I ain’t too hot on beer either mostly because it constantly puts my bladder on the verge of bursting. I do appreciate its social aspects tho, and that I’m still in control of myself even after a few bottles. If you wanna get shit-faced, why do you even bother with beer?

Raist

« Reply #4341 on: December 07, 2017, 05:41:10 AM »
Hold on, aren't you german?

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #4342 on: December 07, 2017, 05:53:40 AM »
LOL so? You know, we don't all sit around in lederhosen and a Maß in one hand  :doge

Tasty

« Reply #4343 on: December 07, 2017, 08:43:38 AM »
I called in basically every favor possible with my closest friends, and tomorrow I'll have enough to pay for my shiny new apartment. I'm so fucking happy and excited and despite borrowing quite a large sum overall, because of my new job (and January's rent being prorated) I'll be able to fully pay everyone back by December 28th. :)

Was pretty touch and go there for a while, up to and including yesterday. But things miraculously came together last night. <3

Tasty

« Reply #4344 on: December 07, 2017, 08:46:27 AM »
Beer sucks. It can be a nice hot day drink, but it’s far too ineffective as an alcohol delivery mechanism. I notice that most people I used to beer party with when younger have moved on to light beer, which is even more shameful. These people have forgotten the purpose of drinking.

Note that aside from heat, I’ll allow an exception for Belgian ales.  Otherwise, beer is a drink for children and women.

Belgian ales. <3 They're my fave. Love a good Blue Moon or Allagash.

I do agree they're an ineffective alcohol delivery method, but sometimes you don't want to get zonkered out.

PS- IPAs suck.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #4345 on: December 07, 2017, 02:30:07 PM »
Got summoned into the dean’s office yesterday. He told me my immediate superiors decided I’m eligible for a bonus of 1.000 € for outstanding performance and that he and the university’s HR department approved of it  :leon

I’m puzzled frankly because I don’t really have a clue of why I earned this bonus. The dean didn’t go into details and just said I should speak with my immediate superiors about it. I think I mentioned here that I’m suffering from untreated ADHD, and that my performance at work suffered because of it, which is why I decided to seek treatment in the first place.

But therapy only started this summer and while things got better, I’ve still got a long way to go. So maybe I overestimated my issues at work. But then again, to alleviate my supposed performance issues I do a lot of work, particularly shit no one else wants to do, so maybe it’s that.

Anyway, it’s a nice surprise. Maybe I’ll stop being a cheapskate and just buy Watch Dogs 2 for 30 bucks instead of waiting until price drops to 20.

I saw Watch Dogs 2 for $16 on xbone a few days ago at WalMart. Might be worth checking?
WDW

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #4346 on: December 07, 2017, 03:02:49 PM »
Thanks, but there ain't no Walmarts here in Germany anymore and I'm on PS4 anyway.

But like I said, I think I can afford to shell out 30 bucks for this game now. I could have afforded it before, but I'm wary of investing too much money into Ubi games...

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #4347 on: December 07, 2017, 03:08:11 PM »
There are no walmarts in Germany because they have to pay a livable wage there.  :doge
©ZH

TVC15

« Reply #4348 on: December 07, 2017, 03:20:11 PM »
Last night I dreamt I got in a fight with some mutie looking dude in a wheel chair. He called me ugly or an asshole or something, and I called him “hot wheels” and pushed him off a street curb. And then I immediately felt bad and profusely apologized.
serge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4349 on: December 07, 2017, 04:23:59 PM »
There are no walmarts in Germany because they have to pay a livable wage there.  :doge

This isn't the inconvenience thread.
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #4350 on: December 07, 2017, 05:14:58 PM »
LOL so? You know, we don't all sit around in lederhosen and a Maß in one hand  :doge

That'd be Bavarians.

But every time a german says they don't like beer I'm like "poor soul". Like vegetarian germans.

I'm just sympathizing brud.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4351 on: December 07, 2017, 05:17:03 PM »
Yup, you'll get an infinite amount of shit for it. And if you get annoyed, it means you can't take a joke.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #4352 on: December 07, 2017, 05:58:49 PM »
I'm just sympathizing brud.

Appreciate your concern bruder, but I didn't say I dislike beer. I do drink it because it gets me into a mellow mood without losing my wits.

I just don't share my fellow countrymen's soppy reverence for it. Beer discussions bore me to tears. Though as Rufus implied, that ain't something I'd be willing to share outside the internet  :P

Tasty

« Reply #4353 on: December 08, 2017, 08:56:31 PM »
Paid off all the fees associated with my bitchin' new apartment. :rock Thus ending one of the most stressful weeks of my life ever lol.

Moving next Saturday. 😨
[close]

shosta

« Reply #4354 on: December 08, 2017, 09:51:18 PM »
You're moving AGAIN?
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4355 on: December 11, 2017, 08:04:26 PM »
I just discovered Sheer Mag.

Raist

« Reply #4356 on: December 12, 2017, 06:57:58 AM »
butter, minced onions, eggs, cheese, bread

:aah

Is this just a general "things I like" list, or a recipe for the most disgusting sammich ever?

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #4357 on: December 12, 2017, 07:58:09 AM »
butter, minced onions, eggs, cheese, bread

:aah

Is this just a general "things I like" list, or a recipe for the most disgusting sammich ever?

Milkshake ingredients
rub

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #4358 on: December 12, 2017, 11:31:42 AM »
Wisdom tooth extraction took only a minute and no bone drilling etc. It's nice when your face does not balloon for five days, don't even feel a need for painkillers atm.

TVC15

« Reply #4359 on: December 13, 2017, 11:27:19 PM »
Watching a doc on Anders Breivik/Norwegian Etiolate and one of the witnesses/talking heads that keeps showing up is this atomically hot Norwegian dude that has the sexiest accent when speaking English. Would bang; can see why Breivik didn’t kill him.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #4360 on: December 13, 2017, 11:29:06 PM »
Wait, there’s a second impossibly hot witness dude with a sexy accent, PLUS he is talking about seeing children get shot.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #4361 on: December 13, 2017, 11:35:45 PM »
Fuck, a third. And these are just from the witnesses and survivors. What do they feed their boys in Norway? It’s a hotness factory.
serge

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #4362 on: December 13, 2017, 11:50:55 PM »

You should get double props for cutting carbs as a vegetarian.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4363 on: December 14, 2017, 01:01:49 AM »
Got paid.

First time my California partner company has managed to pay directly into my Japanese bank account. Very exciting.  This brings me off of US taxes, and allows my Japanese company to turn a profit, but still pay me the amount is supposed to on paper.

They'd also been late paying my previous four invoices, so having this one arrive early gains some trust back from me.

My iMac, which had been rebooting incessantly and randomly, has not rebooted once in the entire 2 weeks I’ve had it home. All they did was install a previous version of OS X, not the max can handle. No reboots. Not once.

You should get double props for cutting carbs as a vegetarian.
Yeah, absolutely. In college a number of vegan people I knew were all fat, and I could never figure out why. Years later I learned that the Atkins diet is astonishingly effective, and the main thing it cuts out is carbs. Mystery solved!

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #4364 on: December 14, 2017, 03:01:00 AM »
Sold something at work, which means maybe I am not fired?

Also applied for a job outside of sales and back in the gaming industry (but not QA yay). Sure I'd take a 30% paycut but it would be worth it for the lower stress.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4365 on: December 14, 2017, 04:13:34 AM »
Sold something at work, which means maybe I am not fired?

Also applied for a job outside of sales and back in the gaming industry (but not QA yay). Sure I'd take a 30% paycut but it would be worth it for the lower stress.

You have a weird job if the gaming industry is lower stress than what you're doing in sales.

Congrats on the not-being-fired part, though! Go, you!

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4366 on: December 14, 2017, 04:58:23 AM »
Haha it seems like a low bar I know.  :lol

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #4367 on: December 14, 2017, 06:42:44 AM »
drank a bunch of beer and liquor and now I'm drunk

Also fuck white man for whining about beer like a giant pussy. You don't """get""" beer but you ""get"" absinthe, one of the lowest bars for entry in alcoholism, and act like you love puking. Pathetic

Tasty

« Reply #4368 on: December 14, 2017, 12:35:51 PM »
Absinthe is pretty cool though.

TVC15

« Reply #4369 on: December 14, 2017, 12:58:43 PM »
drank a bunch of beer and liquor and now I'm drunk

Also fuck white man for whining about beer like a giant pussy. You don't """get""" beer but you ""get"" absinthe, one of the lowest bars for entry in alcoholism, and act like you love puking. Pathetic

Straw man. I've never even had absinthe. But yes, beer sucks. If I have to get a drink at a beer-y place, I'll see if they have cider.

I do enjoy puking though--I've explained why. I believe it was a response to severe anxiety in the past, and when it occurs now, I think I have the mental impression of it being a sort of "release" of pressure.
serge

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4370 on: December 14, 2017, 01:01:59 PM »
Ive had absinthe once, night was insane, ended up nsfw with a bbw.

shosta

« Reply #4371 on: December 14, 2017, 02:54:07 PM »
I like puking because I know it's my body telling me that it's made more room for alcohol and I'm good to keep going again.
每天生气

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4372 on: December 14, 2017, 10:41:17 PM »
A well timed puke can save you a lot trouble🤷‍♀️

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4373 on: December 14, 2017, 11:23:19 PM »
Solved a problem in Unity that my partner, who is more experienced in Unity than I am, had been unable to solve in a month.

In Unity, it's almost never a matter of solving a difficult problem, it's finding where to fix the problem.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #4374 on: December 15, 2017, 02:32:42 AM »
I have a problem where from a distance, people sometimes assume I'm somebody who has it easy in life and I'm especially concerned about that image when it comes to coordinating with the blue-collar/sorta conservative operations people. I just handle the project management and analysis part of the job and a lot of people in my position have been kinda cunts who are inconsiderate of the actual laborers workload.

So when the rental agency ran out of Corollas and I ended up driving a couple hundred miles in a BMW 430 convertible (free upgrade!), I worried that some people might assume I am some sort of overpaid twatburger 4chanimal consultant. In fact they were totally nice to me if a little bit shy and for some reason insisted that I would need to leave at 5:30 for security reasons. I am a very, very oblivious person and only later when my coworker let me know that she had to tell them all that I'm not a consultant, did I realize that if people think you're a rich prick, they won't be your friend but they will be polite.

So I got to have a fun, totally useless car for a few days and maintain my non-prick/twatburger/4chanimal reputation that I worked so hard for.

Solved a problem in Unity that my partner, who is more experienced in Unity than I am, had been unable to solve in a month.

In Unity, it's almost never a matter of solving a difficult problem, it's finding where to fix the problem.

Dang, I think you could apply that to any programming.

Clockwork5

« Reply #4375 on: December 16, 2017, 12:48:24 PM »
I saved a homeless woman from a burning building last night. Apparently there were a a few in an abandoned building next to the restaurant I manage who had started a small fire inside the building  to keep warm. At one point in the night I stepped out the back door to vape and the entire back alley was covered in smoke. A group of people ran up to me and said a lady was trapped on the roof. I ran inside the restaurant and wrestled with a 15 foot ladder, dragged it down the street and helped this woman get off the roof.

I even made it on the news with the label "Good Samaritan" lol.

I would link the news video but, well, I don't want benji to doxx me.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4376 on: December 16, 2017, 01:15:22 PM »
Good for you for owning a ladder.  I don't know what I would have done in that situation. 

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #4377 on: December 16, 2017, 01:37:35 PM »
Good for you for having the balls to scale a burning building to help another person. A rare-breed sir.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #4378 on: December 16, 2017, 01:38:25 PM »
Ate ass for about 20 minutes last night.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4379 on: December 16, 2017, 01:44:05 PM »
You get the itis after eating that much? 

Can a white dude use that term?
[close]