Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 557084 times)

Oblivion

Re: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!
« Reply #4980 on: January 15, 2020, 03:30:09 AM »
TLJ at least had that cool battle on Crait, and Luke saying goodbye to Leia and 3P0.

what did ROS have?

Boredfrom

« Reply #4981 on: January 16, 2020, 02:14:02 PM »
Why people think that the Trevor version of the IX film would have been any better? The concepts of the script sound like desperate attempts to give some sort of meaning to the Last Jedi rather than embracing that shit. Fuck, it sounds like the whole script still depends of acknowledgment that Kylo Ren is a dipshit.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #4982 on: January 16, 2020, 02:44:01 PM »
Anything would be better than what we got. Rey a Palpatine, Palpatine alive and behind the whole shenanigans is some of the most hackneyed bullshit ever.

I'm not being hyperbolic when I say I'd rather rewatch the prequels than any of the Disney movies.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 08:56:07 AM by chronovore »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4985 on: January 20, 2020, 06:39:40 PM »
#babbiejabba

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #4986 on: January 20, 2020, 07:03:27 PM »
I'm sure this would go really well.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4988 on: January 22, 2020, 07:22:30 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4989 on: January 22, 2020, 07:42:31 PM »
real starwars here we come
https://movieweb.com/dune-movie-2020-first-footage-description/

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm really not going to get hyped until scifi people say its good.
[close]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4990 on: January 22, 2020, 09:19:35 PM »
real starwars here we come
https://movieweb.com/dune-movie-2020-first-footage-description/

I'm really not going to get hyped until scifi people say its good.
[close]

ITS HAPPENING
dog

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #4991 on: January 22, 2020, 09:27:18 PM »
I'm on the fence until I hear what Jodorowski thinks  :hmph

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #4992 on: January 26, 2020, 08:05:19 AM »
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4993 on: January 26, 2020, 09:13:56 AM »

SNL should stick to pop culture things like this. They're way better than any of their recent political bits.
Except for maybe Sean Spicer. That was hilarious but sadly didn't last long.
🤴

Raist

« Reply #4994 on: January 26, 2020, 09:27:24 AM »
You know the new trilogy is a complete disaster when people involved keep shitting on it.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4995 on: January 26, 2020, 10:04:56 AM »
You know the new trilogy is a complete disaster when people involved keep shitting on it.
George got away with murder for years. He made a Samurai movie in Space and because it was something entirely new he could built a media empire on it.
Disney bought a fantasy IP that exists entirely inside George Lucas' head and he tried to fix over the years with prequels, re-releases and new cuts "MCLUNKEY!!".
On top of it all LucasFilm threw out the only thing that tried and succeeded to make sense and explain it all (the expanded universe), written by mostly good authors.
Because Lucas didn't consider it to be canon. 
:lucas

Disney's directors started to realize this as they were making these films.
Ackbar was supposed to be the captain on the ship in TLJ for example.
He would've performed: The sacrificial Ackbar Maneuver  :lol

Buying Star Wars when they did, is like if Microsoft had bought the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise right before the first Xbox launched.
The cracks were visible but it still seemed promising. Disney essentially bought the Sonic of movie franchises for $4 billion in cash and shares.
They also inherited the same type of insane fanbase.  :lol
🤴

Raist

« Reply #4996 on: January 26, 2020, 03:13:30 PM »
I think their biggest mistake was to get JJ "gotta love mystery boxes and big dumb one-upping everything" Abrams involved.

He just tried to cram so much shit in TFA, with basically zero world building, and a bunch of entirely open plots points with zero basis to work on.

Johnson got a lot of shit for "ruining" Star Wars, and in particular Luke, but what the fuck was he supposed to do exactly when Abrams left him with a world and characters that had so drastically changed since RotJ that the whole thing was barely believable.

And that's why I think VII-IX is vastly inferior to I-III (come at me Chrono).
Sure, the Prequels had their share of dumb shite, but at least they had some good character and world building, and didn't start retconning shit left and right.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4997 on: January 27, 2020, 03:55:42 PM »
Colin Trevorrow has confirmed his version of EP 9 was called Duel of the Fates and the leaked script is real.
🤴

Raist

« Reply #4998 on: January 27, 2020, 05:07:47 PM »
You expect us to google search for that script, and read it all?

Give some bullet points you jerk :bolo

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4999 on: January 27, 2020, 06:26:05 PM »
You expect us to google search for that script, and read it all?

Give some bullet points you jerk :bolo
It took place on Coruscant with Hux capturing the planet and Finn rallying a resistance
Rey had a blue double bladed lightsaber
Luke's ghost trains Rey
Luke's ghost haunts Kylo
Kylo goes to Vader's castle
etc.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 06:31:14 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5000 on: January 27, 2020, 06:39:58 PM »

more here

In ways it looks better developed and thought out as a sequel to TLJ but the question is how well they would've executed this vision.
It again shows how Disney should've A) planned this out from the start, B) delayed TROS instead of rushing it.

But I guess they had already thrown too much money at it and everyone on the cast was done with Star Wars so a delay wasn't possible.
🤴

Occam

« Reply #5001 on: January 27, 2020, 06:50:59 PM »

That was more fun than the new movies. The Stormtrooper uniforms/tie pilot helmet are wrong, though, they should be First Order style (everyone is wearing First Order insignias, too).

Raist

« Reply #5002 on: January 27, 2020, 07:07:27 PM »
Lightsaber guillotine :dead

:lol

Reminds me of that gem from whichever of the sequel trainwrecks that was:

"Execution by blaster is too kind. I want it to hurt"

*Troopers ready their goddamn laser axes for beheading*

bluemax

« Reply #5003 on: January 28, 2020, 01:13:47 AM »
I think their biggest mistake was to get JJ "gotta love mystery boxes and big dumb one-upping everything" Abrams involved.

He just tried to cram so much shit in TFA, with basically zero world building, and a bunch of entirely open plots points with zero basis to work on.

Johnson got a lot of shit for "ruining" Star Wars, and in particular Luke, but what the fuck was he supposed to do exactly when Abrams left him with a world and characters that had so drastically changed since RotJ that the whole thing was barely believable.

Sure, the Prequels had their share of dumb shite, but at least they had some good character and world building, and didn't start retconning shit left and right.

I mean they're professional writers with an entire fucking galaxy of possibilities. Saying they had nothing to work with seems ridiculous and lazy now.

How could they have had Coruscant in Trevorrow's movie? Isn't that the planet they blew up in TFA? Or did I just misremember the whole thing.
NO

Raist

« Reply #5004 on: January 28, 2020, 07:17:46 AM »
What I meant is that Johnson was left with very little wiggle room when it comes to "wtf happened to Luke?".
He went from being a galactic hero in Ep. VI to being a goddamn hermit on a random ass planet.

So Abrams dropped that bomb and passed it onto whoever would carry on with the sequels, with zero explanation as to how exactly Luke ended up like that. People were mad at Johnson because "how could Luke possibly do that?!" but he pretty much was forced into that position by Abrams.

Same for "wtf happened to the Republic!", "who the fuck is Snoke?!?", "how did Solo go from a war hero who cared about all this after initially being only interested in getting paid, to getting back to his shitty smuggler job?!?" etc, etc, etc...
Abrams dropped all this shit as established facts beginning the new trilogy, leaving whoever would come next to direct Ep.VIII to deal with explaining all that shit.

Coruscant was fine, the super-duper-mega death star blew up the "Hosnian system" which was apparently the new home of the galactic republic, with the main planet being Coruscant 2.0 (both in terms of function but also visually).
Because reasons, I guess.

Himu

« Reply #5005 on: January 28, 2020, 08:02:06 AM »
Remember when Disney freaked out because The Last Jedi only made $600 million domestically and $1.3 billion worldwide so they totally changed direction to appeal to people who didn't like TLJ? Well, looks like Rise of Skywalker might not even hit $500 million domestically and barely scrape by $1 billion worldwide.

Ahahaha

Fuck off Star Wars
IYKYK

Raist

« Reply #5006 on: January 28, 2020, 08:03:18 AM »
Hehhh... I think the plots of both the OT (for obvious reasons) and the Prequels were a lot more self-contained.

Didn't need to dig into additional materials to get a good picture of wtf is going on.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5007 on: January 28, 2020, 01:24:29 PM »
https://art19.com/shows/newcomers-star-wars

17 mins and its pretty decent - got to wait for the guest to come on and start explaining shit to them though. 

'Hans Olo', 'Do you think he's Danish?'
[close]
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 01:36:50 PM by Madrun Badrun »

Boredfrom

« Reply #5008 on: January 28, 2020, 01:52:45 PM »
What I meant is that Johnson was left with very little wiggle room when it comes to "wtf happened to Luke?".
He went from being a galactic hero in Ep. VI to being a goddamn hermit on a random ass planet.

So Abrams dropped that bomb and passed it onto whoever would carry on with the sequels, with zero explanation as to how exactly Luke ended up like that. People were mad at Johnson because "how could Luke possibly do that?!" but he pretty much was forced into that position by Abrams.

Same for "wtf happened to the Republic!", "who the fuck is Snoke?!?", "how did Solo go from a war hero who cared about all this after initially being only interested in getting paid, to getting back to his shitty smuggler job?!?" etc, etc, etc...
Abrams dropped all this shit as established facts beginning the new trilogy, leaving whoever would come next to direct Ep.VIII to deal with explaining all that shit.

Coruscant was fine, the super-duper-mega death star blew up the "Hosnian system" which was apparently the new home of the galactic republic, with the main planet being Coruscant 2.0 (both in terms of function but also visually).

Being perfectly fair with Abrams and his stupid Mistery Box stuff. all this plot points could have been explained with cliche tropes at second film. Of course, is still scummy because JJ Abrams leaves the job of explaining shit to another guy.

Rian Johnson cardinal sin was trying to subvert the expectations and not playing ball. I feel he did a Knights of the Old Republic II, making Star Wars media for people that dont like Star Wars media. This is fine when is not on the flagship stuff but in the main films it feels like he just wanted to see If could get away with some stuff, making a film he wanted to make but not what the fans or Disney wanted. (Disney mismagement is another can of worms)

Luke is hiding because is trying to fight Snoke in his own way (ancient Jedi artifact, hiding his biological son/daughter, meditation), Snoke is an ancient Sith Lord or another form of force users, Rey is someone important daughter or is a reincarnation of the force like Anakin, etc. All of this could have been better explinations. Cliche but better than: "lol no we were no setting anything. Pay me."

Abrams set up was lame and directionless, but RJ decision of "fuck it lets not even try to follow up" created the dissonance. 

Disney and Lucasfilm mismagement were, at the end, the ones that fucked up. Abrams going to Abrams and Rian Johnson decided to not even try to play ball, Disney and Lucasfilm were the ones that decided this was okay until Solo bombed hard. 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5010 on: January 28, 2020, 02:11:14 PM »
There’s no way Disney’s that desperate.
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #5011 on: January 28, 2020, 04:28:11 PM »

Being perfectly fair with Abrams and his stupid Mistery Box stuff. all this plot points could have been explained with cliche tropes at second film. Of course, is still scummy because JJ Abrams leaves the job of explaining shit to another guy.

Rian Johnson cardinal sin was trying to subvert the expectations and not playing ball. I feel he did a Knights of the Old Republic II, making Star Wars media for people that dont like Star Wars media. This is fine when is not on the flagship stuff but in the main films it feels like he just wanted to see If could get away with some stuff, making a film he wanted to make but not what the fans or Disney wanted. (Disney mismagement is another can of worms)

Luke is hiding because is trying to fight Snoke in his own way (ancient Jedi artifact, hiding his biological son/daughter, meditation), Snoke is an ancient Sith Lord or another form of force users, Rey is someone important daughter or is a reincarnation of the force like Anakin, etc. All of this could have been better explinations. Cliche but better than: "lol no we were no setting anything. Pay me."

Abrams set up was lame and directionless, but RJ decision of "fuck it lets not even try to follow up" created the dissonance. 

Disney and Lucasfilm mismagement were, at the end, the ones that fucked up. Abrams going to Abrams and Rian Johnson decided to not even try to play ball, Disney and Lucasfilm were the ones that decided this was okay until Solo bombed hard.

I mean sure, you could always find something here and there, but the sheer amount and scope of the stuff that was introduced, either with radical changes to the state of the galaxy, main characters, and out of nowhere "what in the fuck?" new things was just stupid.

Every single major character was unrecognizable. You have some serious 'splaining to do if you want to now tell people that Luke is a grumpy hobo hermit, Han said fuck it all and went back to his shady shitty job, Leia returned to being at the head of a small band of merry resistance folks fighting with scraps.

The Republic is basically non-existent, and it's like the Empire was never defeated. There's a new big bad guy who's quite clearly at the very least on par with Palpatine in terms of power and influence.
They somehow have a fucking goddamn PLANET turned into a mega death star-like weapon.

There's a new Luke 2.0 who's somehow super strong with force powers, lectures Solo about his own goddam ship, is the best goddamn pilot the galaxy has ever seen, etc.

Abrams came up with all this shit and went "there you go guys, you can deal with explaining all that crap yourselves I'm out lolz".
Like, where the fuck do you even start when you've been handed this.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #5012 on: January 28, 2020, 09:07:25 PM »
I think Rian did the exact same thing with the second movie leaving no where to go and nothing interesting himself with the movie having plenty of its own issues.

I do agree that Disney should have given the whole thing to one person or had a blueprint for the whole thing beforehand instead of allowing each director to do his own thing and make it up as they went along. I doubt I would have liked what Rian would have done based on the last jedi, but at least it would have had a coherent vision and feel which this trilogy didn't.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 03:42:36 AM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #5013 on: January 28, 2020, 09:10:12 PM »
twitter non-sense

Old person says he would do something if he wasn't old washed up person.

I like George but nobody is going to let him do anything of consequence with anything nowadays if he isn't financing it himself.

bluemax

« Reply #5014 on: January 29, 2020, 12:13:40 AM »

I mean sure, you could always find something here and there, but the sheer amount and scope of the stuff that was introduced, either with radical changes to the state of the galaxy, main characters, and out of nowhere "what in the fuck?" new things was just stupid.

Every single major character was unrecognizable. You have some serious 'splaining to do if you want to now tell people that Luke is a grumpy hobo hermit, Han said fuck it all and went back to his shady shitty job, Leia returned to being at the head of a small band of merry resistance folks fighting with scraps.

The Republic is basically non-existent, and it's like the Empire was never defeated. There's a new big bad guy who's quite clearly at the very least on par with Palpatine in terms of power and influence.
They somehow have a fucking goddamn PLANET turned into a mega death star-like weapon.

There's a new Luke 2.0 who's somehow super strong with force powers, lectures Solo about his own goddam ship, is the best goddamn pilot the galaxy has ever seen, etc.

Abrams came up with all this shit and went "there you go guys, you can deal with explaining all that crap yourselves I'm out lolz".
Like, where the fuck do you even start when you've been handed this.

I think we all just assume there is a New Republic because we spent 20 years reading books where there was. It's not like RotJ ends with some RotK epilogue where we seem them establish a democratic government and everything goes peachy keen. I think almost anyone over 30 who pays attention to world events knows that just because you kill one "big bad", doesn't mean everything is Star Trek land 20 years later.

Han explains some of why Luke gave up and went into hiding.

Han and Chewie going back to smuggling is kinda dumb though.

And I agree with Boredfrom. The setup for the second movie was pretty simple and cliche. Luke is an old and depressed Sylvester Stallone, who reconnects with his passion and gets his redemption by training a new Boxe- Jedi to fight the monster he created. Snoke is Kreia's grand nephew or some other sith bull shit.

Ez pz.
NO

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5015 on: January 30, 2020, 12:00:03 AM »

:iface

:doge
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5016 on: January 30, 2020, 06:29:49 PM »
George could sense the Dark Side in him  :lucas
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5017 on: January 31, 2020, 02:00:39 AM »
https://twitter.com/InsideTheMagic/status/1221783682081546243

daddy's back bois :lucas

He had FULL CREATIVE CONTROL with the Prequels.

They were garbage.

That is all.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #5018 on: January 31, 2020, 02:01:20 AM »
not episode 3  :miyamoto

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #5019 on: January 31, 2020, 02:56:14 AM »
What

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5020 on: February 01, 2020, 01:00:01 PM »
Episode 3 memes are the lifestream of this planet

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5021 on: February 01, 2020, 01:56:16 PM »
Yeah, if nothing else the PT gave us some GOAT memes. What memes did the ST give us?
dog

Raist

« Reply #5022 on: February 01, 2020, 02:20:29 PM »
Yeah, if nothing else the PT gave us some GOAT memes. What memes did the ST give us?

Can't think of any, really.

The PT has some meme-worthy dumb shit.

The ST just has dumb shit. Endless streams of it.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5023 on: February 01, 2020, 02:30:11 PM »
Wasn't the Blue Milk already a bit of a meme back then in the fandom ?

Ben Swollo was fun.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5024 on: February 01, 2020, 09:13:24 PM »
Save us and our merchandise sales daddy

"Did I ever tell you about the Whils?" :lucas

Anyway Lucasfilm was supposed to announce the next steps for Star Wars in January but whatever has been going on has postponed it.
🤴

Occam

« Reply #5026 on: February 04, 2020, 09:16:22 PM »
That's painful to listen to. Those are some very ignorant people. I switched it off after they talked about how hard it was for them to watch Empire (the hardest thing they ever did in their lives!) and how they kept using their phones throughout.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5027 on: February 04, 2020, 09:43:10 PM »
Ignorant about starwars  :ryker

Occam

« Reply #5028 on: February 04, 2020, 09:59:59 PM »
Nah, ignorant in general.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5029 on: February 05, 2020, 09:04:57 AM »
and how they kept using their phones throughout.

:oreilly
dog

bluemax

« Reply #5030 on: February 05, 2020, 11:22:17 PM »
Watching The Toys that Made us and... whew the stuff about Disney buying Star Wars did not age well.
NO

Raist

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5032 on: February 07, 2020, 05:37:13 AM »
I like my cannon like my men : No Beta. :nope
ὕβρις

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #5033 on: February 07, 2020, 02:35:01 PM »
It’s probably one of the handmaidens
WDW

Raist

« Reply #5034 on: February 07, 2020, 03:05:39 PM »
It would be absolutely hilarious if Anakin fell for it. Considering, you know, Padmé did that shit about 7 times in the PT.

Also, looking for the people who hid Luke from him?
How about the guy who sliced your legs off you dumb fuck.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 04:10:35 PM by Raist »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #5035 on: February 07, 2020, 07:33:25 PM »
Goddamnit ordered a poster frame to fit this beauty

And it's just a cm too big on each side.. since the poster is 68.5cm wide, and the frame is 70cm. Ofcourse there are no 68.5cm wide poster frames for sale. Now you see the white back paper on the sides -_-

Any ideas?

ffs why cant I do anything right
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 07:50:42 PM by MMaRsu »
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #5036 on: February 07, 2020, 07:58:55 PM »
I dont I was googling for it.. I might have to go seek out a drawing or painting shop, maybe they have a big 90x102cm piece of black paper

Probably not with my luck tho  :lol

Pretty bummed now since I paid about 40 euros for the frame and maybe 20 total for the poster including shipping..
And I was looking forward to this all week since I ordered the frame I was like yeah finally Ill be able to hang this baby up

Gonna have to call around where I can get some black back paper..
What

Coax

« Reply #5037 on: February 20, 2020, 11:03:36 PM »
Hacker News linked this insightful article by the American Society of Cinematographers that covers how The Mandalorian set backdrops were created and utilized with giant LED panels and incorporating Unreal Engine for real-time rendering. A good read with loads of photos.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5038 on: February 21, 2020, 02:09:58 AM »
I dont I was googling for it.. I might have to go seek out a drawing or painting shop, maybe they have a big 90x102cm piece of black paper

Pretty bummed now since I paid about 40 euros for the frame and maybe 20 total for the poster including shipping..
And I was looking forward to this all week since I ordered the frame I was like yeah finally Ill be able to hang this baby up

Use the existing white backing and just get some black strips for the sides
Spud

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #5039 on: February 21, 2020, 07:51:59 AM »

Use the existing white backing and just get some black strips for the sides

I fixed it will post pics later
What