Author Topic: Your fav games in 2014 - list wars -  (Read 8030 times)

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
Re: Your fav games in 2014 - list wars -
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2014, 10:40:49 AM »
GOTY is DOOM 2.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dat Double Barrel  :lawd :mouf  :aah :rejoice
[close]

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2014, 01:24:31 PM »
My GOTY would be Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

I played through Dragon's Dogma back when it initially came out but before Dark Arisen was added. Dark Arisen made it so much better. I still find myself plumbing the depths

Close behind would be A link between worlds All Zelda no filler. That was fantastic

Biggest disappointment was Bravely Default
Man, I loved this game so much in the beginning. It was like Final fantasy was back. Then it pulled that "Do this all over again and again and again" stuff. And that was it. I don't think a game has ever fallen off the cliff so quickly and drastically like this.

que

Bebpo

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2014, 04:43:10 PM »

About how long does it take to get to the end?  I just got the drill.

Just booted up the game and my cleartime for the whole thing is 4 hours 10 min. There's a trophy for beating it in less than 2 hours 30 minutes, so I definitely wasted some time!

So I ended up getting really into this last night and beat the game in my 3rd sitting at a little over 3 hours lol.  Was solid and once into the formula of getting loot -> upgrading -> getting loot -> upgrading was enjoyable.  The actual platforming parts were more enjoyable.  Now that I've beat it I actually kind of wish it was a little longer with more than 3 areas to dig ^^;

Tasty

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2014, 11:24:18 PM »
Also, I played through The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse - Capcom + Disney is usually quality and this game doesn't disappoint. It's a bit short, but was fairly challenging since I didn't know about all these secret shops where you can buy more life. Beat it with an audience of onlookers while we were all high, but the game definitely holds up even while sober. Nice graphics and solid level design.

I loooooooooove that game. Absolutely love. So much nostalgia for me.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2014, 10:51:09 PM »
So is this our GOTY thread? Either way, Diablo III: Reaper Of Souls is my GOTY for 2014.

It reminded me that Blizzard is in a class of their own when it comes to salvaging games with rocky, unsatisfactory launches. It took me back to the days of WoW's release and its myriad issues, and the way Blizzard transformed it into a record-breaking behemoth. They strike with lightning (or Heaven's Fury as it were) once again in this expansion and Loot 2.0, it's accompanying patch. Everything that was great about the original game is fermented into a lush bouquet of blood-exploding corpse chimeras, soul-sucking angels, intoxicating combat, and build customization options out the wazoo. And we can't forget the best part; the removal of the "Real-Money Auction House" and its complete dismantling of Diablo's core game mechanics.

I never considered myself a fan of the RPG genre until Diablo 3 made me its lover, for better or worse.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:55:11 PM by Raban »
SRY

archnemesis

« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2014, 02:39:19 PM »

1. Might & Magic X: Legacy - Despite being a fan of all types of RPGs, I could never get into western dungeon crawlers. Might & Magic X changed that. It has a user friendly interface and modern features without removing any of the complexity. Diving into a huge world with a customized party is a great experience.

2. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft - I have played loads of different collectible card games since I discovered magic 20+ years ago. Hearthstone is the first one I can see myself continuing playing for a longer period.

3. Destiny - I poured many hours into this shooter even though it has obvious flaws and an incomplete story. The core mechanics are solid enough to make it worthwhile anyway.

4. Legend of Grimrock 2 - I'm only a few hours into this and if I had more time it would probably rank higher. The first game was my GOTY 2012.

5. Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth - Highly addictive and satisfying until I noticed all the minor flaws. I hope we get an expansion soon that addresses its issues.

6. Shin Megami Tensei IV - Another solid dungeon crawler.

7. Blackwell Epiphany - The fifth and final entry in this great adventure game series managed to tie everything together and end on a high note.

8. The Banner Saga - I loved the setting and the difficult choices. The combat system never resonated with me though.

9. Threes! - A great puzzle game that everyone should have on their phone or tablet.

10. Monument Valley - An artsy puzzle game with Escher-inspired art that is pretty and interesting. It is rather easy and thankfully doesn't overstay its welcome.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2014, 02:50:53 PM »
Arch your list could have been mine

archnemesis

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2014, 02:59:04 PM »
Arch your list could have been mine
Did you play any of the three dungeon crawlers?

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2014, 03:31:01 PM »
Nope, I did play Grimrock 1. Dungeon Crawler is a genre I always like more on paper. Always want to like them.

Bebpo

« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2014, 04:16:25 PM »
Nice list Arch!

Bebpo

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2014, 05:08:01 PM »
That Blackwell game looks awesome. I wanna play it. Probably will seek it out now

It's a series.  5 games around a couple of hours each.  I'm on the 3rd one and my experience so far is that the 1st one is pretty uninteresting, the 2nd one is a little better, and the 3rd one has a nice production values bump.  I've heard the series gets better each game, though I'm sure Archnemesis will be able to chime in better here.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2014, 05:27:20 PM »
The Fall was pretty fantastic.
nat