Author Topic: Your fav games in 2014 - list wars -  (Read 7981 times)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Your fav games in 2014 - list wars -
« on: December 09, 2014, 04:56:38 AM »
Please share your fav games in 2014, not necessarily from 2014 since we're old and stuff.

1. Hearthstone - Over 1200 victories so far and still liking it, new expansion coming today which will add 120 cards. Great little game.

2. Brothers  -  Sad em up :'( Read these guys are working on a Xbox exclusive game now!

3. Elder Sign Omens - Can't stop playing this Cthulhu themed dice game from Fantasy Flight Games on my iPad.

3. Demon Souls - Great setting and atmosphere, would not have enjoyed it without a guide I'll admit since getting items is too random.

4. Heroes of the Storm - Leave it to Blizz to make a fun MOBA.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Your fav games in 2014 - list wars -
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 08:51:51 AM »
1. Divinity: Original Sin - Isometric goodness featuring one of the best turn-based combat systems ever. Story and characters aren't so strong, but the gameplay and questing more than makes up for any shortcomings there.

2. Dragon Age: Inquisition - Bioware did it, they actually revived the DA franchise after the abject failure that was DA2. There's a mountain of content here, more than justifying it's price tag, and they fixed the combat.

3. Wasteland 2 - Despite a mountain of bugs and awkward old-school design choices, W2 nailed being a post-apocalyptic RPG packed with freedom of player choice. Torment 2 can't come soon enough.

4. Might & Magic X - Legacy - Ubisoft? Making a first-person, party-based RPG on a square grid? Madness!

5. Dark Souls II - Not as good as the first Dark Souls, but still an incredible experience full of tough bosses and weird locations to explore. Onward to Bloodborne!
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 10:12:45 AM »
Can't believe all the positive feedback for DA:I, maybe I just need to give in to Bioware again.

This is probably the last month for a long time where I will have some time to play something like this too.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 10:15:34 AM »
I've got 50 hours in Inquisition and I'm still nowhere near the end, that should tell you all you need to know.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 11:03:56 AM »
Right now, I'd say:

1. Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
3. Danganronpa 1 & 2
4. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
5. Fantasy Life
©@©™

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 11:06:36 AM »
All the great games I played this year, from best to least best:

Dodonpachi Daioujou (White Label) - Borderline perfection. It's soul-crushingly punishing, though.
Crimzon Clover: World Ignition - One of the best STGs out there, and it was created by one of the most skilled players of all time. Raises the bar for one-man game development.
Metal Slug X - Nazca's magnum opus. Fixes the balance issues from MS1 and doesn't have the pacing (padding) issues of MS3, making it the best run & gun out there.
Bayonetta 2 - A complete improvement over the original. The lack of Kamiya's direction is appreciated.
Earth Defense Force 2025 - Went through Inferno and most of the DLC this year after they patched most of the major balance issues the game launched with. The one TPS I can always go back to, even if it's not as lean and superbly designed as something like Vanquish.
The Wonderful 101 - Full of flaws, but has a completely unique concept that's mostly well executed. Bogged down by unlockables, grinding, and awful genre shifts.
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - The best equipment grindfest I've ever played. Lots of bosses to fight, weapons to master, and missions to beat.
The Evil Within - Fantastic TPS that's hurt by bad tech and some occasionally questionable design.
Dark Souls II - Made lots of refinements and never drops in quality like the original did toward the end, but isn't as memorable due to the inferior art, world, story, etc. Still haven't played the DLC.
Cannon Dancer - A spiritual sequel to Strider from the original director. My only complaint are the short length and relatively low difficulty.
Strider 2 - Not as tightly designed as the original or Cannon Dancer, but the excellent mechanics, higher difficulty, and good scoring system give it a strong case for being the best of the bunch.
Metal Slug - Has some balance issues (the Slug is powerful, safe, and available often; most bosses are a pushover), but this is still one of the best run & guns out there with perfectly paced stage design.
New Super Mario Bros U - I was very surprised by how good this is. Mechanically, it's easily the best 2D Mario game out there and the level design is generally excellent. Could use better aesthetics, though.
Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze - Another great platformer, though I felt I spent too much time looking for collectibles. Great boss fights too, which is pretty rare for the genre.
Pikmin 3 - Dunno what to say here. Pikmin makes collecting shit fun, I guess. The boss battles are pretty good too.
Sunset Overdrive - Fun combat with a wide variety of weapons, fantastic visuals, and excellent traversal mechanics make up for the rest of the game's shortcomings.
Ys: Memories of Celceta - Still my favorite handheld game this gen. I'd rather have Falcom pull back on the RPG elements a bit, though.
Ys II - I did not like Ys 1, so I was surprised by how good this game is. It's a huge improvement in every single way.
Mario Kart 8 - Gives MKDS a run for its money as the best game in the series. Not as good as Sonic Transformed, though.
Strider (1989) - Short and easy, but still a very fun action/platformer full of memorable setpieces.

Mother 3 will go in there once I finish it.
BiSH

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 11:16:53 AM »

New Super Mario Bros U - I was very surprised by how good this is. Mechanically, it's easily the best 2D Mario game out there and the level design is generally excellent. Could use better aesthetics, though.

Finally tried this out the other day and agree that it's surprisingly good.  The two NSMB DS/3DS games really aren't that great, but the console versions have been pretty well-made with good level design. 
ど助平

cool breeze

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 11:21:42 AM »
from 2014
1. Legend of Grimrock 2
2. Hitman Go
3. Bayonetta 2
4. Velocity 2X
5. Infamous (haven't played that many 2014 games yet; probably doesn't stack up to others)

from before
1. Tearaway
2. Yakuza 4
3. Yakuza 3
4. Splinter Cell Blacklist (surprisingly decent compromise between conviction chaos theory)
5. LEGO Marvel

I ended up replaying more games this year, not a ton of new-new stuff. 

archie4208

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 11:36:12 AM »
Isaac Rebirth
Dark Souls 2
Maybe Bayonetta 2 if I ever get off my lazy ass and play it
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pushmo World  :-[
[close]

Everything else was pretty forgettable.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 12:15:10 PM »
Yeah I'm way behind on my 2014 gaming. DA3 is pretty great though- as is Persona Q (so far)
o_0

Tasty

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 12:16:10 PM »
1. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
2. Mario Kart 8
3. Castlevania
4. The Evil Within
5. Shovel Knight

Have only played 30 mins of Pokemon AlphaSapphire.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 12:43:02 PM »
there were games this year?
püp

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 12:50:16 PM »
Shadow of Mordor, spend loads of hours just fucking around with the nemesis stuff
Infamous First Light, was just the right length and price
GOAT Simulator, got my 5 bucks worth of laffs out of it
PvZ Garden Warfare, fun pick up and play shooter, plus they gave away a lot of free content for it
sup

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 12:53:28 PM »
in all seriousness mario kart 8 was very very good
püp

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 12:57:46 PM »
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Sen no Kiseki II
Ryu ga Gotoku Isshin!
Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Versus Full Boost
Super Robot Wars Z3-II
Mobile Suit Gundam Side Stories
Earth Defense Force 2025

2014 games I bought this year but haven't played yet:
Ar no Surge
Fairy Fencer F
Atelier Escha and Logy
Evil Within
Sengoku Basara 4
Tales of Xillia 2
Drakengard 3
Super Hero Generation
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:09:36 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 02:06:49 PM »
1. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls
2. Hearthstone
3. Dragon Age: Inquisition
4. Borderlands Pre-Sequel

There were several games that came out this year that I would like to play but haven't gotten around to it yet: Divinity, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, and even South Park Stick of Truth, which I own but have yet to play.
yar

sarslip

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 02:19:26 PM »
South Park: Stick of Truth
Jazzpunk
Never Alone
Child of Light
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Sunset Overdrive
Mario Kart 8
Far Cry 4
Drive Club
Wolfenstein: New Order

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:04:10 PM by sarslip »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 02:20:57 PM »
I don't think I played a 2014 title.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 02:29:28 PM »
Best games I played this year:

Ultra Street Fighter IV (PS3/PC)
Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare (PS4)
Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)
Super Smash Bros. (Wii U/3DS)
Samurai Warriors 4 (PS3/PS4/Vita)
Sengoku Basara 4 (PS3)
Senran Kagura 2 (3DS)
Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign- (PS4)
South Park: The Stick Of Truth (PC)

Biggest disappointments:

The Evil Within (PS4)
Bullet Girls (Vita)

Games I haven't played or spent enough time to put on the GOTY list yet:

Dragon Age Inquisition (PC)
Diablo III (PS4)
Shadow Of Mordor (PC)
Freedom Wars (Vita)
Hyper Dimension Neptunia Re;Birth (Vita)
Velocity 2X (PS4/Vita)
Lots of other stuff I'm forgetting

Most improved console library:

Wii U.  It actually has a few good games now! 

Weakest console library:

"Next-gen."  Literally every single PS4 game I bought or played this year is on PS3 and/or PC too.

Best new hardware:

The gaming laptop I bought in the summer.  :teehee
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 02:50:20 PM by bork laser »
ど助平

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 07:06:18 PM »
Best games I played this year in no particular order

South Park Stick of Truth (an actually funny videogame. How rare)
The Wolf Among Us (Not as good as the walking dead season 1 but I loved the tone and atmopshere)
The Evil Within (Actual survival horror in a genre that doesn't really exist anymore)
FTL: Advanced Edition (missed it on the original release. Loved it this go around)
TitanFall  (best of the shooters with any advanced movement system and the one that still feels the most different)
Forza Horizon 2 (complete all around package and worthy follow up to the first)
Sunset Overdrive (balls out fun from minute to minute)
Wasteland 2 (Game has issues. Plenty of them. But feels like a real old school hefty rpg which is insanely rare nowadays.)

The best game I played this year was Sunset Overdrive.

There are also a lot of probably great games I just haven't had time for. Dragon Age 3, Shadow of Mordor, Far Cry 4, etc

Biggest wastes of time this year

Master chief collection (if its ever fixed it will be worthwhile but its still fucked up)
Destiny (once I realized it wasn't actually an mmo all the mystique vanished)
Watchdogs (Average game that the general public seemed to get overly hyped for)
Walking Dead Season 2 (Completely missed the mark after a great season 1)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:16:49 PM by Stoney Mason »

Cheddahz

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 08:40:26 PM »
The top three games that I've played (so far and that came out this year) have to be South Park: The Stick of Truth, Bayonetta 2, and Sunset Overdrive (which I'm liking the most out of those)

Bebpo

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 08:42:48 PM »
Valiant Hearts - Great classic adventure game about WW1
Zelda ALBW - Zelda without the bullshit, lots of dungeons, and fun again!
Far Cry 4 - Best mountain climbing game.
Trails in the Sky SC - Good conclusion to FC, people should enjoy this in 2015 but too bad about the 30 hours it takes for anything to happen in the game before it gets good.
Trails in the Sky The 3rd- Nice dungeon crawler epilogue to the Sky trilogy.  Sucks it's not coming out in English.
The Evil Within - As much as I hate the frustrating bullshit at many numerous parts, this was a memorable lengthy action game with real satisfying crunch combat.
Pix the Cat - Awesome Pacman CE-like
Wolfenstein - Pretty satisfying SP FPS
South Park Stick of Truth - Great rpg!
The Yawhg - Really, really cool choose your own adventure book/game.  <3
MGS Ground Zeroes - Best MGS gameplay since MGS3, great graphics, tons of secrets.  TPP is gonna be amazing.
Guacamelee Championship Edition - Already super awesome game made even better.
Thomas was Alone - Liked this little story platformer quite a bit.
Specs Ops: The Line - Liked the story.  Thought I knew where it was going but was wrong and happy.
FFXIII-2 - Fun game.  Looking forward to playing LR at some point.
Shovel Knight/Persona Q/Super Mario 3d World - Fun games, nothing groundbreaking.

Games I didn't get around to playing yet:

Bayo 2, DA: I, GTAV SE, Tesla Effect, Five Nights at Freddys, Divinity OS, Wasteland 2, Dead State, Grimlock 2

South Park: The Stick of Truth
Sen no Kiseki II
Ryu ga Gotoku Isshin!
Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Versus Full Boost
Super Robot Wars Z3-II
Mobile Suit Gundam Side Stories
Earth Defense Force 2025

2014 games I bought this year but haven't played yet:
Ar no Surge
Fairy Fencer F
Atelier Escha and Logy
Evil Within
Sengoku Basara 4
Tales of Xillia 2
Drakengard 3
Super Hero Generation

So how's the new roster?  ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:47:12 PM by Bebpo »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 08:55:28 PM »
Skyrim.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 10:05:24 PM »
Games I played this year that were from this year:

Super Smash Bros 3DS / WiiU - The 3DS is little more than an appetizer for the WiiU game. Its got a few things I dislike about it (like, not being able to turn off the bosses, and a few missed opportunities with the stages/character roster) but its so much better than Brawl its not even funny. Also while other companies seem more than ever to cut content and release it as DLC/IAP, Sakurai keeps on packing the game with stuff. The soundtrack alone is enough to make this my game of the year.
*My game of the year*

Theatrhythm: Curtain Call - Its a bit grindy to unlock all the characters, but the amount of songs is enough to make an FF music fanboy like me swoon.
*The Himumu Final Fantasy Fan award*

Mario Kart 8 - I like it much better than the Wii one, it seems way more balanced. My girlfriend doesn't like it as much, since I am better at this than her (while she is better on the Wii one).
*The racing game of the year award*

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F2 - While it has some great songs (Luka Luka Night Fever!), the difficulty balance feels a bit off... the leap between Easy and Normal mode is far greater than in any of the other Diva games, and the linked star notes is a flawed gimmick, since the speed of the notes doesn't seem to match the tempo of the song.
*Waifu of the year award*

Shovel Knight - So many indie games try their best to mimic the games of yore, but so few get it right. Shovel Knight is probably the best indie since Cave Story. A lot of indies just use their retro graphics as a crutch because the artists couldn't afford shiny fancy shader-mapped polygonal graphics or whatnot, but Shovel Knight's environments and characters have lots of charm, in their detailed animations. The difficulty level is just right, without resorting to tons of cheap deaths masked by millions of checkpoints, or being babby difficulty.
*Indie of the year award*

Lightning Returns - OK, the soundtrack is fantastic, but the game itself was probably my least favorite of the XIII trilogy. I hate hate hate time limits in RPGs, even more so in open world RPGs with a lot of sidequests and a world I want to take my time exploring... of course, by the end of the game once you know what enemies to kill to give you lots of CP this is moot... but at the beginning, it was very nerve-wracking. Didn't care for the battle system, which felt like a half-baked Valkyrie Profile. And thought the graphics were very poor, especially considering how nice the original XIII looked.
*tri-Ace pays the bills award*

Bayonetta 2 - Only played half of it so far, but really liked what I've played... seems like more of the same, but with the fat trimmed... which isn't a bad thing at all. I wasn't at all a fan of W101 or Metal Gear Rising but this proves Platinum still has it in 'em.
*Platinum still has it award*

South Park: The Stick Of Truth - First off, I'm a big fan of the show... But when I started playing the game, it was kinda boring... the plot seemed like a pisstake of all those boring "Elves and Humans Race War" plots typical of western RPGs... but then the game finally started with the absolutely ridiculous and hysterical humor the show is known for and I really warmed up to it... a few parts in particular I had to put down the controller because I was laughing so hard. And I loved the Canada area. Gameplay balance is completely out of whack... most encounters were finished in one or two rounds and by just doing all the quests I maxed my level some 2/3 of the way through the game. Also, the fart controls are awkward and the "tutorals" for them don't even reflect how you do a fart in the game.
*Comedy game of the year award*

Bravely Default - Oh man, I was absolutely in love with this game... an oldskool turn-based RPG with the Job System and lots of side quests, how could you go wrong? Well, Chapters 5-8, that's what. Really bummed me out and made finishing the game a chore... but up until that point it was fucking great.
*Bipolar game of the year award*

Other games I've played this year, from previous years:

Suikoden III - I played this for about 10 hours years upon years ago, but couldn't get into it... this year I decided I wanted to play through all the Suikoden and Wild Arms games, so I picked it back up and played through it. It's a long-ass game but I feel it was worth it... really liked seeing the story unfold from 3 different perspectives, although I did not like the amount of backtracking you had to do through the same dungeons / fields over and over... not to mention you don't get the ability to quick-travel for a long while into the game. It has its flaws and I don't like it as much as 1 or 2 but its lightyears better than...

Suikoden IV - Just beat this game yesterday. The final boss (the only encounter that actually posed a challenge) was the only thing I liked about it, along with some of the music. Story feels inconsequential, graphics are sooooo bland and grey, nearly every battle could be won just by auto-battling. The theme - getting a ship and decking it out with 108 crew members, meeting pirates and stuff - has so much potential that ended up being squandered, and before you know it the game was over. Most "dungeons" were either a straight line that made FFXIII's areas look like Phantasy Star 2, and the islands you visit (of which there may be about 6 in the game) are small, few-screen affairs.

Gravity Rush - Only played about halfway through this game. The theme is awesome, love the art style, love moving through air... but the controls take some time to get used to, and the camera is nauseating at points. Would love to see a sequel that tightens up the camera and controls.

Guacamelee - One of the better indie Metroidvanias... A great theme, nice music, and even some challenging platforming segments! But I didn't like the reliance on changing your characters 'polarity' between light and dark, or having to do different attacks to break the enemies' shields... that got old quickly. Also, your character's hitstun seems to go on for a little too long.

Ys IV: Memories of Celceta - An awesome game, with a surprisingly huge and open world for a Ys game. But between this and Ys 7, I'm feeling that the series is becoming a tad bogged down in padding... while the earlier Ys games excelled at being stripped-down, almost 'arcadey' takes on the action RPG, this game is starting to get feature creep... multiple characters with their own equipment to manage, their own skills to grind... and grinding for loot drops / crafting makes an appearance. Loot and crafting seems to be infecting every single game with even the slightest relation to the RPG lately, its fine on occasion but not in every goddamn game. I do think I prefer the original Dawn of Ys on PC Engine CD to this one, though.

Ys V: The Sand City Of Kefin - Within the last year, this game finally got a long-awaited fan translation. And (aside from Memories of Celceta) remained the only Ys I've never played. Its considered a dark horse of the series, and I can see why. It feels much more like a generic SNES action RPG than a Ys game... in everything from the more muted color palette (game still has nice graphics), to being the first top-down Ys where you can swing your sword with a button press. The game is very short (like, 6-7 hours or so) and the story only starts to pick up way at the end. A decent game but pretty forgettable in terms of the Ys series.

Castlevania: Order of Eccelsia - For a long time, the only Metroidvania I never played. This one is a lot less Metroid, a lot more Vania, than any of the post-Rondo entries in the series. The areas are small with fewer secrets, but the enemy encounters are more tightly designed and you can't take a lot of damage before you die. The highlight of the game is one of the awesome bonus dungeons, which is chock-full of traps and requires a lot of platforming skill to complete. Probably the second-best Metroidvania behind SOTN.

Metal Gear Rising - I just couldn't grasp the parry system in any way, shape or form. So that hindered enjoyment of the game...

Gone Home - Yeah, indie walking simulators just aren't for me. Thankfully, the "game" didn't last very long. I'm liberal and I support gay rights and all that but the whole lesbian coming out storyline didn't do anything for me. I'm glad games like this exist, but I need gameplay in my games.

Neugier - Obscure SFAM action RPG made by Wolf Team. This being produced by Masaking of Star Ocean fame meant I had to play, when I read about in Hardcore Gaming 101. Haven't played too much but it seems like a quick, breezy 16-bit action RPG, divided up into stages instead of being more open-ended. With really poor music... imagine the most generic but most blatant SNES music and you have this game's soundtrack. There's an English translation I'm gonna play soon.

Faxanadu - I started playing this again, for the first time since I borrowed it from a friend in elementary school. Haven't beaten it yet, but yeah its an interesting Zelda 2-ish game. Made by Falcom and one of their billion Dragon Slayer spinoffs. Your sword range kinda sucks and the game is fairly punishing in the way old NES games can be, but I'm still compelled to finish.

GTA5 - Only put in a bit of time to this, seems much better than 4, but your character still feels like he's moving through water. Mirrorball radio station = the hotness, its nice to see an indie dance/nu-disco station in a game.

Last of Us - :zzz from what I've played.

Wild Arms XF - One of the hardest strategy RPGs I've ever played. The game relies almost all in the planning stages of battle, where you need to have the optimal class loadout to survive. And every battle has a different gimmick that makes use of different classes. Took me a long while to get the hang of it, but once I did I made progress pretty rapidly. The game is long as hell too... but the story kept me interested, music was classic WA.
*Favorite old game I've played this year*

Wild Arms 2 - The weakest of the WA games I've played so far (1, 2, 3, 4, and XF). The game moves from the gorgeous 2D of the original to Xenogears-style polygons with a rotating camera. The storyline is pretty generic, and the translation got progressively worse until it became illegible. Which sucks when a few of your puzzles rely on riddles (I had to look up the answers at gamefaqs because the clues made no sense whatsoever). Most battles were really easy, up until near the end of the game. Still, it was a long game with a lot of sidequests and it was competent enough.

Wild Arms 4 - While the first 3 WA games didn't really shuffle things up much, being more orthodox RPGs, this game throws all sorts of unique gameplay paradigms at you. It's an RPG with 2D and 3D platforming elements, the ability to slow down time, and a hex-based battle system that's very unique and presents several very interesting encounters (especially in the arena). Status ailments / buffs are on a hex-by-hex basis, and you can move several characters into one hex at a time. Unfortunately, the game is absolute cake (the character Raquel is mad OP), and you can no longer shut out random encounters like in WA 2 and 3, until you either solve a puzzle near the end of the dungeon, or defeat a strong enemy at the final save point in the dungeon. Story is silly with all the "Adults are so stubborn! I don't wanna be an adult! You're one of the good adults!", and I wish it had a traditional world map and wasn't so linear/lacking in sidequests (something the WA series was always good with). But yeah this was a very nice surprise, a game I feel deserves more love.
*Biggest surprise of the year award*
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:12:38 PM by tiesto »
^_^

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 05:15:53 AM »
isaac

shovel knight

i really don't remember anything else.
nat

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 05:44:48 AM »
South Park
Defense Grid 2
Endless Legend

The other 2014 stuff I played like Tropico 5 and Civ Beyond Earth were good but not great. Another year where Civ 5 Brave New World wins
itm

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 09:14:29 AM »
Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls
COD: AW Multiplayer
Shadows of Mordor with ultra texture pack
Civ V: Beyond Earf

PC gaming brehs :aah
©ZH

Beezy

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2014, 10:01:47 AM »
Titanfall
Gravity Rush
Child of Light
Defense Grid 2
Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U
Bayonetta 2
Sunset Overdrive

Games I really like but haven't put enough time into yet: Velocity 2X, Forza Horizon 2, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, COD:AW

I'm sure I'll have a lot to add over the upcoming Christmas break.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:36:35 AM by Beezy »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 11:16:32 AM »
Oh yeah, Zelda ALBW is fantastic and at least top 3 for me. Forgot that came out this year.

It came out last year.

Super Smash Bros 3DS / WiiU - The 3DS is little more than an appetizer for the WiiU game. Its got a few things I dislike about it (like, not being able to turn off the bosses, and a few missed opportunities with the stages/character roster) but its so much better than Brawl its not even funny. Also while other companies seem more than ever to cut content and release it as DLC/IAP, Sakurai keeps on packing the game with stuff. The soundtrack alone is enough to make this my game of the year.
*My game of the year*

Don't agree with this at all.  The 3DS version has some stages that are better than the Wii U version and I'll take Smash Run over that stupid board game thing any day.  Online is much better on Wii U though and eight player Smash is awesome idea, but it's restricted to local only.  Speaking of which, I was disappointed to find that 3DS controller play is also restricted to an offline mode.  WHY, Nintendo?  BTW, I sent you a friend request on Wii U like a week ago.  But it's typical for nobody to ever check their friends lists on Wii U.  Maybe Nintendo will get it right next time. 

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F2 - While it has some great songs (Luka Luka Night Fever!), the difficulty balance feels a bit off... the leap between Easy and Normal mode is far greater than in any of the other Diva games, and the linked star notes is a flawed gimmick, since the speed of the notes doesn't seem to match the tempo of the song.
*Waifu of the year award*

I keep trying to play these games, but feel like I'm missing something with them.  Don't know what it is, but I can't really get into the Miku games.  I tried the second 3DS game and found that I liked that game play more.  Might give that a chance.  I think maybe the biggest problem is that I don't care for a lot of the songs in these games.  I miss the days of games like Bust-A-Move and the older Beatmanias.

Castlevania: Order of Eccelsia - For a long time, the only Metroidvania I never played. This one is a lot less Metroid, a lot more Vania, than any of the post-Rondo entries in the series. The areas are small with fewer secrets, but the enemy encounters are more tightly designed and you can't take a lot of damage before you die. The highlight of the game is one of the awesome bonus dungeons, which is chock-full of traps and requires a lot of platforming skill to complete. Probably the second-best Metroidvania behind SOTN.

I need to go back and finish this.  Might as well just start over at this point.
ど助平

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 11:24:08 AM »
So how's the new roster?  ;)

Well that's a massive brain fart! Whoops!
野球

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2014, 05:31:57 PM »
I think Isaac is the only game I've played to any significant degree this year, so I'll go with that. Shit's even more absorbing than the original game.
zzzzz

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »
Danganronpa 1 was great, still need to play 2

Mario Golf: World Tour was flawed but good

I dont care to remember anymore

cool breeze

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 05:40:12 PM »
what is this danganronpa business all about? I keep seeing it brought up, and I think I might've asked before and was told it's like 999/VLR visual novel stuff.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2014, 10:57:18 PM »
Only Disc I bought this year was EDF 2025 I think. It's still playable MST3k fodder and thus fun times. Other than that a bunch of steam shit and PSO2. I dled the FFXIV char creator and made a person but haven't actually played the free 14 day trial at all yet.
Hi

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2014, 11:04:04 PM »
what is this danganronpa business all about? I keep seeing it brought up, and I think I might've asked before and was told it's like 999/VLR visual novel stuff.

A bit of 999/VLR and a bit of Phoenix Wright.
©@©™

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2014, 12:26:28 AM »
2014 Games I've Played That Are Awesome:
Defense Grid 2
Civilization V (Linux release)

2014 Games I've Played That Are Okay or Worse:
NBA 2K15
Titanfall (Origin Free Game Time)
The loading/updating screen of Warface
The logging in screen of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Phantoms Vegas Rainbow Cell Advanced Warfighter - NA

2014 Games I Haven't Played But Are In My Steam Account:
I don't wanna know.

2014 Games I Haven't Played But Are Beyond Awesome:
Driveclub (post weather patch)

:lol

:fbm

At least I played a bunch more 2012/2013 stuff this year. And a thousand plus hours of Brave New World.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2014, 12:31:35 AM »
this is the worst year for gaming from my perspective in a long ass time. so many zzz games that i play for like an hour and immediately lose interest in

nat

Bebpo

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2014, 02:38:46 PM »
I think 2014 was a pretty standard year.  Really depended on what you played.  Lots of crap, some great stuff, decent amount of janky interesting stuff. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2014, 02:40:57 PM »
I've probably played less games overall this year than in previous years, but the games I did play were almost all really long games that took up far more of my time than most games I play regularly. So, a good year for me.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2014, 02:53:34 PM »
Yeah, also year of the ridiculously long 80+ hour games with Wasteland 2/Divinity OS/Persona Q

Man, I wanna sink real time into W2/Dead Sate/Divinity OS but that's a lot of hours!  Will try for 2015.

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2014, 03:14:38 PM »
I think 2014 was a pretty standard year.  Really depended on what you played.  Lots of crap, some great stuff, decent amount of janky interesting stuff.

I don't play AAA games anymore for the most part, so 2014 was just like every year: plenty of games to keep me entertained.
野球

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2014, 03:18:47 PM »
I thought it was a fine year. Some years you have a game that crosses over in an insane mainstream way and is universally adored ala Skyrim, or something and perhaps that didn't occur this year but I think I played plenty of good games. My problem as I get older is always not being able to play everything I want versus thinking its a weak year. But that's just me.

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2014, 03:35:53 PM »
My GOTY is Final Fantasy XIV, because I'm still playing that every day since it launched last year.

Besides that though...

2014 Games -

Dark Souls II (PS3): I definitely didn't feel as great a connection with the world in this one than I did with Dark Souls or even Demon's Souls (which is my favorite of the three). Whether that's to blame on the kinda dull NPCs and the less interesting/well designed world is kinda 50 50. The gameplay itself is still ace though, and I appreciated the increased amount of boss fights, even if there's a few stinkers among them (looking at you, Royal Rat Authority).

inFamous Second Son (PS4): Dunno how I really feel about this one. I liked how much more streamlined and precise the game itself was, a step up from the messy way the first two games handled it, but feel that, outside of making the best looking game on the PS4 right now,  the first inFamous was still a much more ambitious title overall. I still like Seattle way more than 2's New Marais though, fuck fake New Orleans.

Rayman Legends (PS4): A way better game than Origins, but severely crippled by the utterly garbage Murphy levels that carried over it's WiiU conception, making the Back to Origins stages obligatory for total game completion (if I wanted to play those stages, I'd just play Origins again) and the really lazy online implementation for challenges. I'm only missing one trophy for the platinum but fuck if I want to play the game for two months to grind up enough points to reach the max rank.

MGS5 Ground Zeroes (PS4): Obviously lacking in content once you're over the new-ness of it, but I really liked the core gameplay shown as a preview for what Phantom Pain is gonna be like. I really hope that the full game carries over this idea of letting you execute the story in any order you want, cause infiltrating the base where the second hostage is being held without actually finding the first hostage first (which then tells you about the second one) was really great.

Demon Gaze (Vita): I'm generally not a fan of first person dungeon crawlers, but Demon Gaze was a good enough babbys first dungeon crawler that I managed to enjoy it. Do stay away if you aren't a fan of animu and vocaloid music though, cause the game is full of it.

God of War HD Collection Vita: Got this for free with the Full Game Trial glitch back when it launched. They did a really good job of making the controls work with less buttons, though neither game is really hot visually (with GoW1 being worse than 2). Still, they're serviceable ways of playing the game for the first time.

Drakengard 3 (PS3): :expert seal of approval

MIND≒0  (PSVita): This game is awful. It's a case where I feel like Aksys wasted their time with a localization, cause the only redeeming thing about it is the localization itself, it's that bad. Terrible visuals, hollow audio when in combat, incredibly lazy persona rip-off character design, terrible dungeon design to boot, and the game basically has no ending. The ending is a sequel cliffhanger to a game that'll never come out. GJ Aquire, even among your janky-ass games you managed to make something legitimately awful.

Dynasty Warriors 8 XL (PS4): Haven't played this nearly as much as I should. Too lazy to re-grind conquest mode though, even after transferring my PS3 save. Game looks great visually though, excited for future next gen musou.

BlazBlue Chronophantasma (PS3): I still haven't actually done story mode for this, though I'm told the story itself is pretty bad. I imported a digital japanese version to play it when it came out and rushed through the story there for character unlocks so I didn't understand a thing. Oh well, still waiting for the new update so I can play Nu again.

Earth Defense Force 2025 (PS3): I legit tried to give this a shot, but the framerate is so baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad with the visual upgrades everything got. I'll buy the 4.1 PS4 version and play it then, even Sandlot can bruteforce something on better hardware.... right?

Rogue Legacy (PS4/Vita): Great game. While not a fan of pure roguelikes like Mystery Dungeon, this one blends genres enough to where I felt a rush going through the castle and really enjoyed the whole descendant family dynamic.

Danganronpa 1&2 (Vita): Probably one of my new favorite series. Seriously had a blast going through both games this year, slightly preferred the first game to the second, but both are real solid. Anxiously waiting for NISA to announce plans for the shooter game.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call  (3DS): Eh. Better than the first game, but I don't know if  I LOVE it. Still runs into the typical lack of content issue, despite having like a billion songs (though the tracks selection for the new games in this one isn't great).

Destiny (PS4): Great gameplay stuck in a really boring game. I haven't even beaten the main story despite it being so short. After hearing how The Dark Below makes it so people stuck with just the core game get the shaft, I might just sell it once I do beat it.

Smash Bros. for 3DS: :trash Probably the least amount of time I've spent excited to play a smash game. A step-up from Brawl in terms of game, but with online like 1/4 of the content (and its not even that great). It'd be nice if Sakurai couple come up with new ideas that aren't just ripping pieces from his older games and frankesteining them together.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (PS3): I started doing the story for this, but kinda stopped and haven't gone back to it, dunno why. Yukari is my favorite of the new character though, I like her style of zoning way more than I did Yukiko's.

Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus (Vita):  :uguu Great game, if a little repetitive.

SteamWorld Dig (PS4): Beat it in one sitting. Not usually big into survival, digging, crafting type games, but this was petty nice.

Assassin's Creed Unity (PS4): About on par with the good ACs. Still waiting on someone to do co-op with.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (PS4/Vita): The true GOTY  :bow2 Competing with FFXIV for my time. Love being able to just sync my save and play it anywhere.

I'll type up the older games I played this year later.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2014, 06:23:05 PM »
I played a bunch of games from the early 2000s so my year was fucking awesome
pcp

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2014, 08:22:27 PM »
Game of the Year: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2014, 10:33:42 PM »
I hardly played any games this year.  Partly because of the crop of games and partly because I don't have much free time and the free time I do have I'd rather do something else.

From what I liked to what I didn't like:

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate - Still my favorite Musou game with a shitload of more content added in.  This game barely looks any better than the PS3 original (which looked better than the Wii U version lol) but there is no slowdown to speak of.  This may sound like something to be expected but DW8XL had slowdown out the ass.  My personal GOTY.

South Park Stick of Truth - Two miracles happened here: one, there was a video game that was actually funny and two, Obsidian managed to ship out a finished game.  I suspect Trey Parker and Matt Stone played a major role in achieving those two miracles.  Either way, the game was fun to play in a way few games are these days.

Mario Kart 8 - This game was pretty decent.  This game was a lot more ambitious than Mario Kart Wii.  Nintendo actually put in an effort with this game, which surprised the hell out of me.  I need to go back and finish the rest of the cups off.

Hyrule Warriors - I wasn't as impressed with this game as some were.

Dynasty Warriors 8 XL - I didn't care much for this game.  Everything seemed like a step back from DW7.  Inexcusable amounts of slowdown in the game.

Non-2014 games I played:

Ass Crud 4 - First and last asscrud game I will ever play.

Halo Spartan Assault - LOL.  The name of Halo has been sullied since 2009 when they started pinching out annual Halo detritus with OSTD and Halo Wars, as well as Reach, whenever that pile of shit came out.  The game wasn't half bad but it was lousy with IAP opportunities.

Dead Rising 3 - I liked it, then kind of got lost somewhere and lost interest to keep going.

Resogun - I liked this game a lot.  A perfect game to fuck around with for maybe a half hour at a time.

There were probably other games I played but they didn't make enough of an impact to me.
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2014, 04:58:41 PM »
I played lots of mobile games this year. That's it.

Everything else? Meh.

This game is bad

Saints Row IV - good writing, good humor as usual, but everything is a shell of what I liked about saints row. The gameplay is terrible and not fun to me.

Samurai Warriors 4 - Zero strategy required, bad and repetitive movesets due to hyper moves which takes away from the characters' individuality, horrible map and level design, a broken Chronicle Mode, lack of replay value due to weapons and just generally not fun. A mindless waste of time, and a waste of 50 dollars.

Avalon - Terrible beat em up meets roguelike game. The interface is shit, the menus are shit, the battle system is shit, everything is confusing. The only good thing about it is the art.

Okay

Bravely Default - Solid beginning, terrible middle, and okay end. This was supposed to save jrpgs? If so, jrpgs are dead.

The Evil Within - Solid groundwork for a decent horror title. Didn't finish it because it felt like a waste of time.

Pretty Good

Dynasty Warriors 8 XL - Pretty great fix on the horrifically average DW8. Characters are less broken now, the user has more control over their characters moves, modes a plenty, tons of replay value.

Those are the only traditional games I bought this year. I've pretty much washed my hands of the hobby, though I plan on getting Persona 5. I'll make a best of mobile post later.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 05:29:38 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2014, 06:23:53 PM »
So Himu "quits gaming" because Saint's Row IV and Samurai Warriors 4 are "bad" (lol) and plays mobile games instead.

OK, Himu.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2014, 06:36:20 PM »
I didn't quit because of that at all.

Try harder.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2014, 06:48:15 PM »
Oh, my bad- The Evil Within.    :P

I'm still calling you out on saying SR4 and SW4 are bad. 

:ufup
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:38:28 PM by bork laser »
ど助平

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2014, 06:58:05 PM »
woops, forgot some 2014 games

Watch_Dogs (PS4): Definitely not a bad game, but I'm not sure if I'd call it good either. The online implementation is really neat, but it's stuck on a really hohum title. The digital trips were you could play as a giant mecha spider, infiltrate a robot invasion ala Terminator, launch yourself on giant colorful flowers and ride a demonic car over creeps from hell were the best part of the game.

Octodad: Dadliest Catch (PS4): I really enjoyed my time with this, though it kinda sucks that it's so relatively short. Co-op play is a blast, specially if you set it so the limbs each player controls are randomly swapped after every objective.

Destiny of Spirits (Vita): Pretty ok attempt at F2P collecathon ala mobile titles. I actively played it for a while, but the constant maintenance periods and long load times ended up putting me off from it.

Sportsfriends (PS3/Ps4): Another great local party game. All the minigames are deeper than they appear, and 4 player pole riders/bari bari ball is still a staple whenever I get people together at my place.

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (PS4): I have the world's first platinum for this!  :hyper Just as great as the original game was, though I feel like the new content added could have been implemented better. Still the definitive version by far.

Older games I played this year:

Mutant Mudds Deluxe (Vita): I have no idea how people played this on 3DS, cause even on the Vita's better screen I had a hard time making stuff out whenever they make you play in the background. Pretty dull game overall, glad I played it for free.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception 3 (PS3): Has probably my favorite combat scenarios/mechanics in the whole series, but man is the story incredibly dull. The desert walking part was ass and I really didn't care about what happened at any part of the game. Hopefully 4 makes up for that.

Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi (PS3): I'd only played one route in the original PSP version, so I went out of my way to do everything in this one. Pretty decent, got some good laughs out of it. That in-game dictionary was really informative too.  :o

Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition (PS4): I'd already played bits and pieces of this before at social gatherings. Really impressive amount of content for a fighting game, but man Netherealm fighters really aren't for me.

Growlanser Wayfarer of Time  (PSP): I think I'm halfway through this? GJ on Atlus to localize it even if it likely sold like ass, it's a really solid RPG. Need to get back to it during this winter break.

Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2  (PS3):  :trash :trash :trash

One Piece Pirate Warriors 2  (PS3): I didn't play much of this cause I'm really into One Piece in the least, but I had a lot of fun with what I did go through. Easily one of the best Musou spinoffs.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies  (3DS): This is waaaay down there as my least favorite Ace Attorney. Even in a serious as ridiculous as this, expecting me to take THE DARK AGE OF THE LAW seriously in any manner was really cringe inducing. Blackquill is the worst prosecutor the series has had, making even Klavier's cameo seem like a great reunion. Athena herself wasn't bad, but that emotion nonsense used in court was not only really easy, but really added nothing to the game besides adding segments that couldn't be failed and look ridiculous (I SEE THAT YOU FELT SAD DURING THIS MOMENT, CLEARLY YOU DID IT!!!). Would have loved if Apollo had just fully taken upon Phoenix's mantle instead of dragging that old man back to the courtroom. Phoenix is done, let him rest.

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3): I'm gonna assume that the much beloved Genesis original was better than this, cause the HD remake was kinda vanilla. Fun enough to 100%, but I'll probably forget everything about it by this time next year.

Remember Me (PS3): This game sure is pretty. I did a 2 hour line at PAX East years ago to check this game out, left utterly disappointed. The full game is basically the same, I shoulda just played Dragon's Dogma instead.

Muramasa Rebirth (Vita): I already beat the game before (and got the world's first platinum!), but I revisited it to the the new DLC content. Arguably a lot more fun than the base game, with actual varied movesets, boss fights and short stories with really good writing. Well worth the asking price, and they're on sale all the time.

JoJo's Bizarre Aventure: All-Star Battle (PS3): Some of the appeal is lost having only seen the anime (so like 3/4 of the playable roster is completely unknown to me), but the base game is pretty fun, if a little too simple. Works great as a fanservice fighter for fans of the show though, at least they nailed that part.

That about covers my stuff! Only other new game I see myself playing this year is Suikoden 2, and I don't think I'll beat it until next year.

Himu

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2014, 07:45:43 PM »
Oh, my bad- The Evil Within.   :lol

It's complicated. When I was a kid, I had feminine interests (gymnastics, balet;etc) that I wasn't allowed to do. I was told I was a boy and couldn't do ____ thing, so I got into things that boys liked such as video games just to be able to connect with them. Video games was a pretty good way as any because games were big back then. I liked them, but I liked other stuff more that I couldn't do. Video games have always been a great cover for hiding my larger interests and a way to connect with boys. When I went through high school, this ballooned into a problem because I was starting to use games as an escape. This is why a lot of the games I liked were exploration or customization-based, because they allowed ample means for escaping life. At the point where I am, I no longer have to hide who I am, and my love for games has drained with it. I still like them, but I no longer have a need to play a game like Dragon Age or Mass Effect or Saints Row, and make a girl character, and pretend that person is me, and transition has helped me move past this and no longer have to put up a facade or trying to gain brotherhood. It helps that the games are in a horrible place now and just aren't very fun to begin with, and I have been met with disappointment after disappointment. But it's just gravy, and I ultimately find it to be a waste of my time and money. I can buy a pack of nude makeup instead of a video game. Why buy a video game?

I'd rather buy a game on my iphone for 2 bucks that doesn't feel like a commitment than spend 60 more dollars on dog shit that I use to escape the world.

But I wouldn't be able to reach this stage if not for the awfulness that was 2014. Thank you 2014 and Gamergate. :heart

IYKYK

SpeedStats

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2014, 12:07:26 AM »
I think I've played 70+ games so far this year, most of them old.

...Still gotta play a few more things before even bothering to compile a list.  Gotta wait until finals are over to play games.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2014, 01:04:09 AM »
Oh, my bad- The Evil Within.   :lol

It's complicated. When I was a kid, I had feminine interests (gymnastics, balet;etc) that I wasn't allowed to do. I was told I was a boy and couldn't do ____ thing, so I got into things that boys liked such as video games just to be able to connect with them. Video games was a pretty good way as any because games were big back then. I liked them, but I liked other stuff more that I couldn't do. Video games have always been a great cover for hiding my larger interests and a way to connect with boys. When I went through high school, this ballooned into a problem because I was starting to use games as an escape. This is why a lot of the games I liked were exploration or customization-based, because they allowed ample means for escaping life. At the point where I am, I no longer have to hide who I am, and my love for games has drained with it. I still like them, but I no longer have a need to play a game like Dragon Age or Mass Effect or Saints Row, and make a girl character, and pretend that person is me, and transition has helped me move past this and no longer have to put up a facade or trying to gain brotherhood. It helps that the games are in a horrible place now and just aren't very fun to begin with, and I have been met with disappointment after disappointment. But it's just gravy, and I ultimately find it to be a waste of my time and money. I can buy a pack of nude makeup instead of a video game. Why buy a video game?

I'd rather buy a game on my iphone for 2 bucks that doesn't feel like a commitment than spend 60 more dollars on dog shit that I use to escape the world.

But I wouldn't be able to reach this stage if not for the awfulness that was 2014. Thank you 2014 and Gamergate. :heart

Sometimes you just need a break from gaming, that's perfectly understandable. Back in the early 2000's after college my life was a bit on the blah side and I went through a dry spot with games. It happens to all of us who have played for a long while...
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2014, 01:14:22 AM »

SteamWorld Dig (PS4): Beat it in one sitting. Not usually big into survival, digging, crafting type games, but this was petty nice.

I tried playing this again tonight and I don't get it at all.  Like, a lot of people have said it's good but the whole game feels like a grind?  Dig further -> get powerup/sell loot/buy upgrade -> Dig further -> repeat over and over.  I'm about an hour in and it just seems kind of boring.  What makes it fun?  Does it get better?

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2014, 01:47:15 AM »
That's the basic gameplay loot, yeah. It gets better once you progress further and get the upgrades which let you keep digging for longer periods of time / get crazier with the digging, but the beginning is kind of a slog. You're rated at the end based on how quickly you beat the game/how much money you got/how many upgrades you got and stuff, so the end goal is speed running while also being super thorough to get four star ratings in everything. It;s kind of an action-y take on the normal digging games minecraft spawned, since the end goal is to dig and gather resources but not actually make anything.

SpeedStats

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2014, 01:53:40 AM »
I got one already even though I haven't beaten it.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Platform: Wii U
Dev: Big Red Button Entertainment
Publisher: SEGA
Release: November 11, 2014

:trash :trash :trash

Neither weed nor alcohol makes this game seem better than it is.  At least Sonic 2006 had the advantage of being so terrible that it was hilarious with a group of friends and/or a bottle of alcohol.  My friend bought this game, tried it while lucid and hated it.  Then he tried it after having some weed and it wasn't enjoyable even then.  He lent it to me and I tried it with some alcohol and it never took.  It’s terrible.

The framerate is garbage, and the game looks like garbage (some parts of it even look like .jpg assets).  Sonic and his friends’ endless quips a la the final battle in Sonic Generations are incredibly grating on the nerves, and the story/dialogue aren’t much better.  The whip mechanic is the dumbest thing and it’s recycled for almost every single boss fight so much that it feels monotonous.  Everything is so slow.  With Sonic and co constantly saying “I LOVE BOOST PADS” or “BOUNCE PAD” and preaching from the Bible of Speed, it’s amazing to see how slowly-paced the game is.  Sonic moves like he weighs 600 lbs, the game takes so damn long to progress because it’s a whole load of back-and-forth fetch quests, and some enemies feel like sponges that won’t go down (and combat feels so shallow even in comparison to Sonic Unleashed, even).  There was one part that played out like a shmup after you get a boat to go down-river, but the controls are so terrible and so slow that it’s difficult to even play the section like a proper shmup.  And even if a Sonic game sucked, you could say that the music was all right because Sega's sound team is usually pretty good.  Boom wasn't done by Sega's sound team, and the soundtrack doesn't have anything that stands out (and tbh, I can't tell you about any tracks since they all blend together).

I hate it when games don’t know what they want to be and suffer from identity crises, and that’s exactly what Sonic Boom really is.  It wants to be a PS2 platformer, but does a pretty inconsistent job at that.  It also wants to be a Sonic game, but it’s so slow.  It wants to be a precursor to a Saturday morning cartoon but the dialogue is devoid of any sort of consistent humour that would befit a Saturday morning cartoon.  It has some sections dedicated to other genres, but it doesn’t even do that right.  There isn’t any sort of polish here, and I don’t think this game had adequate QA (which doesn’t seem so surprising in this day and age where you can say that about many games).  I don’t know if they had any sort of design blueprint.  If they did, their blueprint sucked.  In the end, it's worth doing that Knuckles jump glitch so you can beat the game in under an hour.

For three years of development time, for this game to be so bad makes me feel like this game was either: 1) originally another project, and/or 2) a scrapped platform’s sloppy seconds.  Never mind that the studio had some turnover during the summer.  I’d love to read a post-mortem about this game because I knew it’d be bad, but I didn’t think it’d be this bad.

I do not look forward to even taking my Captain Toad disc out of the Wii U to see if I can take any more of it.  If I drop it permanently, it’s a damn bad game since I played the other bad Sonic games to the end with other people because we wanted to see how bad they’d get while having a laugh.

Anyone who says this game is remotely decent needs to get evaluated for Stockholm Syndrome. Or drop the console wars shtick permanently.  It’s one of the worst games of 2014.

MIND≒0  (PSVita): This game is awful.

I told you it was awful after I played my import copy but you never listened to me!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 01:58:11 AM by SpeedStats »

Bebpo

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2014, 02:00:56 AM »
That's the basic gameplay loot, yeah. It gets better once you progress further and get the upgrades which let you keep digging for longer periods of time / get crazier with the digging, but the beginning is kind of a slog. You're rated at the end based on how quickly you beat the game/how much money you got/how many upgrades you got and stuff, so the end goal is speed running while also being super thorough to get four star ratings in everything. It;s kind of an action-y take on the normal digging games minecraft spawned, since the end goal is to dig and gather resources but not actually make anything.

About how long does it take to get to the end?  I just got the drill.

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2014, 02:05:09 AM »

About how long does it take to get to the end?  I just got the drill.

Just booted up the game and my cleartime for the whole thing is 4 hours 10 min. There's a trophy for beating it in less than 2 hours 30 minutes, so I definitely wasted some time!

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2014, 10:04:58 AM »
Also, I played through The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse - Capcom + Disney is usually quality and this game doesn't disappoint. It's a bit short, but was fairly challenging since I didn't know about all these secret shops where you can buy more life. Beat it with an audience of onlookers while we were all high, but the game definitely holds up even while sober. Nice graphics and solid level design.
^_^