Author Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| Fucking alley  (Read 63301 times)

Himu

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| Fucking alley
« Reply #240 on: June 08, 2015, 04:48:34 PM »
sometimes things like that are just dressing. I'm not sure it'd actually improve the movie in any way. the movie literally opens up with max eating a two headed lizard and then going on a badass car chase, right from the beginning. The movie is even called Fury Road. It's a literal and figurative road, from beginning to end. Extra stuff like what you're asking for doesn't add to the plot, characters, or anything. It's just window dressing, and Mad Max Fury Road's minimalism is a part of the appeal and mystique. It gives the setting and timeline an air of mystery, just like the titular character in Mad Max.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #241 on: June 08, 2015, 09:39:12 PM »
Anyone else catch feelings when she goes under the wheels?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #242 on: June 08, 2015, 10:27:41 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
And it was Max's fault, too. The wound on her leg where he accidentally shot her was bleeding and that caused her to slip.
[close]
dog

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #243 on: June 08, 2015, 10:28:49 PM »
Saw it.  Liked it.

Not in love with it (although fuck yes flamethrower guitar).

Kind of think the plot works better with a much older Max, long long after the nebulous historical apocalypse.  That city and setup looked much too old, especially with Furiosa being a kid living in a "clan" in "the green place" when Max in his 20s was driving around an Australia full of grass and trees as a cop.  And they had hospitals, nightclubs, etc...

I mean the plot seems to demand a Fallout type of delay between the apocalypse and the events in the film, or at least many many decades.

Miller could have framed the movie as a story retold (like he did in Road Warrior). But that is just "Hollywood fat" if you think about it.  It doesn't really make the movie better, it just helps contextualize the movie for nerds that care about timelines and 'canon' and shit like that.

I am a nerd.

I do want a series to have a continuous story that makes sense if it's going to have the same protagonist.

When each story is throw away, then that is also, logically, how I am inclined to treat it.

who said it was the same protagonist
duc

helios

« Reply #244 on: June 08, 2015, 10:34:28 PM »

And it was Max's fault, too. The wound on her leg where he accidentally shot her was bleeding and that caused her to slip.
[close]

It's so easy to miss that, too. And it's only known to us, the audience.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #245 on: June 09, 2015, 05:40:06 AM »
No, but I caught feels when they cut the child out of her, like she was just a container for Joe's property.
[close]

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #246 on: June 09, 2015, 07:29:03 AM »
How come Cloud isn't in Final Fantasy XV? No sale

Himu

« Reply #247 on: June 09, 2015, 01:25:08 PM »
I don't see the problem though. Mad max movies have always been about the situation he's in more than its been about him.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #248 on: June 09, 2015, 01:40:05 PM »
How come Cloud isn't in Final Fantasy XV? No sale

He is.  All those characters are the same!  It's Cloud with black hair this time!   :o
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #249 on: June 09, 2015, 06:57:14 PM »
Took my mother to see it today. She didn't want to see it as she didn't care about the previous films. Yet, I kept urging her to see it since it really is a fantastic movie.

She really liked it. 

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #250 on: June 09, 2015, 08:17:53 PM »
Man, this movie just tossed exposition in the bushes.  I'm not sure whether it's showing faith in the audience to figure shit out, or counting on people being able to enjoy the action regardless of how much they understand, but either way I liked it.

cool breeze

« Reply #251 on: June 09, 2015, 08:34:53 PM »
Miller talked of wanting audiences who don't know the language to still understand and enjoy it without subtitles

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #252 on: June 09, 2015, 10:05:34 PM »
It frustrates the absolute shit out of me when people say this movie has no story.
zzzzz

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #253 on: June 09, 2015, 10:19:43 PM »
People are so used to having every single detail of the plot spelled out for them that they can't fathom a movie that tells its story almost entirely through the actions of its characters.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #254 on: June 09, 2015, 11:57:22 PM »
Man, this movie just tossed exposition in the bushes.  I'm not sure whether it's showing faith in the audience to figure shit out, or counting on people being able to enjoy the action regardless of how much they understand, but either way I liked it.

"Exposition" was actually the name of the first War Boy who kamikazes.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #255 on: June 13, 2015, 04:56:33 PM »
Just saw this a second time. :rejoice

I can't even begin to say how amazing it still is. :rejoice

:rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #256 on: June 13, 2015, 05:10:24 PM »
"Who killed the world?"

I love that line in the movie. It's one of the first times a character looks past their nose and asks a question bigger than their own immediate survival.

I wonder if future Mad Max movies will ever seek that answer? I almost don't want them to, because I know I'll probably end up disappointed with the answer. I think I prefer the idea of the world just slowly going mad.

From context, my assumption was the answer is simply "men." Men killed the world, as there simply were not enough women in positions of power; they were not allowed into positions which could have affected change.

More specifically, the world was killed by warmongers, corrupt capitalists, and religious zealots [represented in the post-apocalyptic world by the Bullet Farmer, the People Eater, and Immortan Joe].

You three are making me hot. :whew
Unzip

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #257 on: June 24, 2015, 04:07:32 PM »
Watched it last night. It was very good. I'm sure most of the stuff has already been said because of the length of this thread but I personally really liked the design of the world with all its little details and the job Charlize Theron does. She was more interesting and entertaining to me than Max himself.

I think I let some of the praise over-hype me on the movie but that's my fault. I'm not sure what I was expecting but it was probably too much. I wish I had seen it new without expectations. But that being said, I thought it was still very good with very few obvious flaws.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #258 on: June 28, 2015, 09:58:43 PM »
Watched it for the second time tonight. Loved it even more than the first time. I take back what I said. I think I like Fury Road better than Road Warrior.
zzzzz

thisismyusername

« Reply #259 on: June 28, 2015, 10:02:33 PM »
This beautiful movie is finally out on torrents, going to watch it again tonight :rejoice

Look at this plebe, not going to see it in theaters a fourth time.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #260 on: June 29, 2015, 02:30:32 AM »
Honestly, I'll probably flip flop on that next time I watch Road Warrior. They're both awesome for different reasons so maybe it's not even fair to compare them.

One thing I appreciated more on the second watch was Tom Hardy's performance as Max. He does a good job of selling the idea that Max has been alone for a really, really long time and that he's starting to fray around the edges a bit mentally speaking.
zzzzz

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #261 on: June 29, 2015, 03:35:30 AM »
Finally got my review copy

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #263 on: July 03, 2015, 01:01:51 AM »
Looks joke in MAD world but got true meaning of living at MAX. :rejoice
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #264 on: July 19, 2015, 11:48:32 PM »
Saw it at last, and overall very glad to have seen it in a theater even if the projection quality was a tad wee shit. Great to see a movie that feels not like a fac-simile of current trends, on top of being a very good action flick. Was bummed by a couple SFX, the inelegant fades to black and flashbacks and I find the passage with the Vulva tribe weak and heavy handed but that's minor complaints. Props to Miller, I was suspicious for a long time that this project would turn rotten, was proven wrong.
ὕβρις

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #265 on: August 17, 2015, 11:30:38 PM »
3 minutes of deleted scenes 

I would do things to get more of this movie in my body :lawd
___

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #266 on: August 17, 2015, 11:59:48 PM »
Aw hell yeah. Give me a LOTR style 5 hour cut.
zzzzz

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #267 on: September 05, 2015, 12:13:10 AM »
Great BR transfer, predictably. The extras ain't half bad either, more of a focus on stuntwork then I'd thought there'd be. My appreciation for this film just grows the more I see it and get to know it.

For example, Richard Norton is in it, in an almost sizable role (he's the guy that Furiosa fights at the end and is often seen alongside Joe), and he choreographed the fights, and I just now looked up what he's done lately and holy shit he's sixty five. Its cool as hell that a guy with such a long history in action cinema (B movies damn near all) got to get a good gig like this.

(he's on the left)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #268 on: September 05, 2015, 12:29:03 AM »
Fury Road joins such films like The Thing for prime advocate of how not wasting pre-production time helps. The Thing got delayed a year so Carpenter & crew basically spent all of it testing and planning stuff...and it shows.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #269 on: September 05, 2015, 01:11:05 AM »
George Miller has to be a lock for director Oscar, right?
zzzzz

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #270 on: September 05, 2015, 01:20:55 AM »
George Miller has to be a lock for director Oscar, right?

Steven Spielberg has some Cold War/Tom Hanks/Based on a True Story wankery coming out.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 01:25:49 AM by Great Rumbler »
©@©™

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #271 on: September 05, 2015, 01:24:11 AM »
If Fury Road doesn't win like 11 Oscars then fuck everything
zzzzz

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #272 on: September 05, 2015, 01:25:53 AM »
Does anybody even remember that War Horse and Lincoln existed? Because I sure don't.
dog

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #273 on: September 05, 2015, 02:27:02 AM »
Fury Road will win a bunch of technical Oscars and nothing else, despite the fact that it's the best movie of the past 25 years if not of all time ever, because the Academy are a bunch of fucking assclowns. It's cool though, everyone will know the truth.
yar

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #274 on: September 05, 2015, 02:30:11 AM »
Fury Road will win a bunch of technical Oscars and nothing else, despite the fact that it's the best movie of the past 25 years if not of all time ever, because the Academy are a bunch of fucking assclowns. It's cool though, everyone will know the truth.

I agree it won't get the Best Picture it deserves but... man. To just ignore the dedication, vision and just sheer fucking legwork that went into creating and directing this movie would be just insane.
zzzzz

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #275 on: September 05, 2015, 02:46:07 AM »
:yeshrug Complaining about the oscars is fun.
zzzzz

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #276 on: September 05, 2015, 03:02:36 AM »

I agree it won't get the Best Picture it deserves but... man. To just ignore the dedication, vision and just sheer fucking legwork that went into creating and directing this movie would be just insane.

I loved Fury Road, but it's not like Miller was the only one dedicated to his work and a lot of legwork that happen on an hundred films gets lost in the sand.  The praise is well earned but let's not put him on a pedestal.

Yeah rewards are biased, but that's kinda the whole point to express preference, isn't it ? The Academy, representing the establishment, will honor and support academic films. Oscars hold disproportionate influence only because we let them have it by discussing them as it matters that much.
ὕβρις

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #277 on: September 05, 2015, 03:31:19 AM »
smh @ u fuckin wingdings whining about this shit maybe not getting best director

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #278 on: September 05, 2015, 05:31:36 AM »
It would be terrific if Fury Road was the film that finally shames the Academy into creating a 'Best Stunt Coordination' Oscar. I would consider that legacy enough even if it didn't win awards that were so shiny, so chrome.

thisismyusername

« Reply #279 on: September 23, 2015, 01:11:11 AM »
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

WITNESSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

(hide-tagged just in case of DMCA  :doge)

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #280 on: September 23, 2015, 10:09:34 AM »
Finally got to watch this. Pretty good movie.

Love that guitar dude lol. He was awesome.
YMMV

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #281 on: September 23, 2015, 01:20:07 PM »

WITNESSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Just finished watching this (making it my fourth viewing of Fury Road)

Not bad :obama
bent

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #282 on: September 23, 2015, 06:17:23 PM »

WITNESSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Already gone :gloomy
Hi

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #283 on: September 23, 2015, 07:07:39 PM »
Watched this a few nights ago. Pretty good

thisismyusername

« Reply #284 on: October 05, 2015, 06:17:01 PM »
http://www.topgear.com/car-news/movies/two-more-mad-max-films-coming-says-fury-road-director

:gladbron :gladbron :gladbron :gladbron :gladbron :gladbron :gladbron :gladbron :gladbron :gladbron :gladbron

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

(Just a matter of "when." I also hope they don't focus on the backstory of Fury Road too much. It works on it's own BECAUSE it doesn't explain every little thing. Let that breathe and knock out another Fury-Road level self-contained story)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #285 on: October 05, 2015, 07:22:10 PM »
As long as it doesn't take as long as Fury Road to come out, I'll be happy.
dog

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #287 on: October 09, 2015, 05:34:01 AM »
looks awful

Not awful but fan art tends to be quite overrated. At least this one has a credit block, so it's slighty less impractical than most fan posters.
ὕβρις

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #288 on: January 15, 2016, 08:31:35 PM »
finally saw this in a proper cinema (missed the first run and refused to see it in a poxy art house or on TV). star wars can fuck off and do half a line of cut coke in the disney executive bathroom while this monster mainlines gasoline with satan at a naplam death gig.

sweep the oscars or fuck the industry.

how this exists in this day and age is beyond me. masterpiece. literally the best cinema experience i've had since fellowship.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:35:51 PM by headwalk »

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #289 on: January 16, 2016, 07:41:52 PM »
Finally watched this tonight. Contact high hasn't ended. Currently inventing a time machine to go punch myself in the face for not seeing this in the cinema last summer.

It needs all the oscars. All of them.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #290 on: January 16, 2016, 08:56:13 PM »
I hope George was just upset about the Oscars and didn't really mean he's done with the films.

EDIT: http://collider.com/george-miller-new-mad-max-movies/
But today brings news that this news from Page Six was, in one sense or another, complete bunk, as Miller is now saying that he was misquoted by the writer and that he is, indeed, ready with at least two more installments in the venerable series. Here’s what he had to say, via The Wrap:

“That was a completely garbled interview. I was in New York and it was so noisy and the journalist was asking me questions on a red carpet at the National Board of Review…She completely got the wrong fragments of information that were just not true. I said no, [another ‘Mad Max’ movie] will not be next, and she took that to mean I never wanted to make another ‘Mad Max.’ It won’t necessarily be next, but I have two more stories.”

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #291 on: January 16, 2016, 09:10:58 PM »
His next movie is Babe: Pig in the Wasteland.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #292 on: January 18, 2016, 06:10:59 PM »
brehs

BREHS

I watched this shit late last night. I was gonna start it around 9PM or so but delayed until 1AM, since I took the day off today. So I started the movie, kinda sleepy, thinking maybe I'll just watch half and watch the rest tomorrow. Nah niccas. This fucking movie.
:whoo

I don't even know how to explain it. Honestly the only thing that I didn't like was the framerate increase during some of the non-action scenes; it just felt unnecessary and weird at times. But during the action scenes? Holy shit. It's like you can literally see everything. There are no jump cuts or shaky cam editing moments. You're literally seeing everything, be it slowed down a bit or sped up.

Can we talk about how the guitar dude was the real MVP tho :whew

Another thing I didn't like: Max's delivery of lines was very ehh. Harrison Ford Blade Runner narration vibes in terms of the emotionless dead pan. But I thought the actor was impressive outside of that. The facial expressions throughout the movie lol. That shit was awesome.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #293 on: January 18, 2016, 11:32:28 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #294 on: January 18, 2016, 11:55:43 PM »
All of Kingsman: The Secret Service is center framed too.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #295 on: January 19, 2016, 12:04:38 AM »
I'm currently in the process of annoying everyone I know by rabbiting on like a cokehead about a film they all saw eight months ago.

I can't tell if it's the perfect action film, or just my perfect action film.

benjipwns

« Reply #296 on: January 19, 2016, 12:31:27 AM »
I hope Kingsman gets a sequel or two, I want to live in a world with a little more non flash-cut shaky cam blur action* series that are not so genre serious.

Though it did use more CG than Mad Max, it wouldn't need it.

*Set to stuff like "Free Bird."
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #297 on: January 19, 2016, 12:37:18 AM »
Actually, now that I think about it, Matthew Vaughn center frames a lot of his stuff:

Even with the teleporting the frame re-centers on it, and at the end it frames all four points of the turn in the center:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:44:58 AM by benjipwns »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #298 on: January 19, 2016, 02:20:03 AM »
Heres a longer bit on the center frame stuff Miller was doing:

hate this kinda channel usually but this is a solid breakdown. Skip to 1:30 or so.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #299 on: January 20, 2016, 11:57:29 AM »
just a heads up, but because it was nominated for best picture mad max is coming back to a lot of theaters next week.  So if you missed it and want to experience it you've got another chance.