Poll

Kimochi warui.
4 (7.8%)
I'm so fucked up.
6 (11.8%)
I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description, and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and this shit is art.
1 (2%)
17 (33.3%)
4 (7.8%)
Rei is mai waifu, Asuka a shit. And also, it is art.
3 (5.9%)
Art AF
1 (2%)
I'm more of a Thomas Kinkade fan, but sure.
3 (5.9%)
nah
12 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Is End of Evangelion art?  (Read 7196 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Is End of Evangelion art?
« on: June 12, 2015, 01:21:01 AM »
vote now, and allow your essence to be absorbed into The Bore collective consciencelessness
©@©™

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Re: Is End of Evangelion art?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 01:26:25 AM »
i approve. also how could i NOT vote for the spurting peen :mouf
duc

dkdk

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 01:30:13 AM »
Eva was a mistake. It is nothing but trash.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 01:30:32 AM »
I hadn't realized how fittingly 最低だ俺って and 気持ち悪い bookended the movie until recently. Anyway, obviously, 最低だ俺って。
QED

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 01:31:39 AM »

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 01:34:54 AM »
It's too bad we can't round up the people who think so, and then put them up against the same wall as the people who think ICO is a game, and then just shoot until there were no more bullets.
yar

Tasty

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 01:35:28 AM »

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 01:36:50 AM »
I haven't seen any of Evangelion, should I torrent the show or the movies?
OH!

Tasty

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 01:39:22 AM »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 01:39:43 AM »
Yes, I think it's time for a real nicca to watch Evangelion. Is there nudity?

I'll have to review each episode.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 01:40:16 AM »

Uhhhhhhhhh yes but it's CP.

Tasty

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 01:40:54 AM »
no, but this is

:mynicca Speaking my language.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 01:41:04 AM »
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 01:42:55 AM »
I haven't seen any of Evangelion, should I torrent the show or the movies?

If you skip the show, then the movies won't make any sense.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 01:44:00 AM »

Uhhhhhhhhh yes but it's CP.

welp...

sounds like I should watch Cowboy Bebop instead.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 01:44:30 AM »
Well pretty much everything I guess is art. So sure. That said Evangelion is pretty great and I think EoE stands as a pretty amazing end. I re-watched Eva not too long ago for special reasons and it still holds up, it was even better actually. It's just a good giant robot story.

Tasty

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 01:47:36 AM »

Kara

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 01:48:21 AM »
Real talk: if not for the montage of hate from :expert s at the end of the movie, I would be inclined to say it was merely entertainment (a useful categorization almost completely discarded in this era of reverse slumming where everything is art), but not only is that montage an actual proper use of the medium's specificity, but top shelf mic dropping.

mormapope

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 01:51:39 AM »
If you skip the show, then the movies won't make any sense.

[close]

I thought the movies were condensed anime bits, turns out the movies are reboots or some shit.

:shaq2

OH!

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 01:51:41 AM »
Confession: despite having watched eoe dozens upon dozens of times as a 15-year-old, i have never seen the TV series.
QED

Kara

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 01:52:10 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I've had my heart broken by multiple Eva fans, but that doesn't matter to me rn. :lawd

Be the colloquial definition of insane brehs. :goty2

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2015, 02:15:51 AM »
it is the only piece of art ever, in all time

Rahxephon91

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2015, 02:24:19 AM »
I feel like Gurren Laggan is a much better version of the same basic idea, except instead of the main character having a shitlord father who raises him to be a complete fucking ninbaby he has an awesome manly older brother who teaches him to be a complete baller, and the show and the character are much better as a result.
Gurren Laggan is nothing like Evangelion.

Evangelion is about broken people who can't connect mixed with a realistic spin on Go Nagi robot shows.

Gurren Laggan is a love letter to all mech anime and about making your dreams come true.

The tone, style, and themes are completly diffrent.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 02:37:19 AM by Rahxephon91 »

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 02:25:22 AM »
walrus's opinion is a really bad opinion to have fyi
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 02:35:21 AM by recursivelyenumerable »
QED

mormapope

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2015, 02:36:39 AM »
I watched six episodes of Gurren Laggan, didn't like it one bit. Always feel left out with how much people hype the show up.
OH!

Kara

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2015, 02:44:16 AM »
I watched six episodes of Gurren Laggan, didn't like it one bit. Always feel left out with how much people hype the show up.

It's super bad. Doesn't even have a penguin who lives in a refrigerator.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2015, 02:56:54 AM »
They're both about teenage dudes in superpowered mech suits who have to save humanity from an external threat bent on their extinction.
Yep, I guess everything is the same when you dumb it down to the bare minerals. Hey, who cares about tone, storytelling intent, visual direction, artistic intent, and so on. It's all the same because I can make a sentence that is a simplistic summary of both seem the same.

Sure, Evangelion forces you to watch a bunch of broken people failing at everything, but it's much worse for doing so. Do I want to see the main character in my mech show mope around about how no one loves him? Fuck no.
For you maybe not, but dosen't change the fact that Evangelion has very specific intentions with it's characters and story. Things that are very different then what GL was looking to do.

Simon is kind of like what Shinji would be if he wasn't a complete waste of life with some balls. But honestly, it's not his fault. The people around him were horrible failures as well.
So basicly there's no argument? They'd be the same show if the entire context and characters where the same. great logic.

I actually watched Evangelion after my father died. Half the reason I like the show is because I really relate to Shinji and his father issues. It's why the show speaks to me. Only later did I really appreicate what it does with the mech genre troupes. Anyway, I found Shinji very un-annoying. People really overplay his annoyance. He kind of reacts like a normal dumb nerdy teenager and he really dosen't cry that much. He's kind of a mellow 14 year old during the first half who get's very scared when he's tasked to fight giant monsters, which I don't find to be unresonable. It's only in the 2nd half where he really loses it, but seeing as how the 2nd half gets pretty depressing I'm not sure I can fault him. Either way, I've never found the character bad. No, he's not an awesome super fun character, but Evangelion is'nt that kind of show, nor am I wanting it to be.

Simmon is a pretty typical mech show troupe character and so is Kamina and since GL is a fun show about being an awesome Giant Robot show of course they're more fun. Seems stupid to compare the two when they aren't trying to do the same things. GL was trying to be fun and have it's characters be Super Heroes with at least some emotional draw so you care about them. Evangelion wasn't trying to be fun and was trying to tell a more grounded tell about a 14 year old piloting A giant robot in an apocalyptic senerio.

I love both shows, but it seems pretty dumb to compare them.

Himu

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2015, 02:57:05 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2015, 02:57:26 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2015, 02:57:43 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2015, 02:58:12 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS
IYKYK

BrokenVerses

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2015, 02:59:39 AM »
How disgusting.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2015, 03:17:05 AM »
Anime was the mistake and Eva is the abortion.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2015, 03:25:50 AM »

kingkitty

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2015, 03:28:25 AM »
I don't know if it qualifies as art, but it probably has the best "protagonist jerking off without permission" scene in all of anime.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2015, 04:18:54 AM »
Is it art ? I dunno. Is it good ? Is it the conclusion needed ? Yes. EoE is a bloated mess at points (real life montage) but it has the production values and the spectacle, it goes in places not too expected and it is packed with fascinating visions. I love the NERV assault, love the fight on the lake, love Kom Susser Tod, love the ending. It's a mess but it makes more sense (and does the mental montage better) than the terrible ending of the series. Watching episode 25 and 26 now just highlights how bad it is and Gainax were obviously at the very end of the rope financially when they did that, not to mention the overall fatigue of the series : Yeah NGE is interesting because of the weird tonal shift by the middle of it but the whole race to the bottom was losing its steam IMHO. EoE goes full throttle there but at least it is baroque and grandiose.

As for "Rebuild", I actually think 3.33 is the best to come out of the bunch, despite all its flaws. Yeah sure Khara has no fucking idea what they are doing with those fucking movies but at least 3.33 is actually surprising. The intro is so great and one of the best thing to come out of EVA in a long time (but I like Tsurumaki and Diebuster so...) and overall the visual direction went way up from the two former films and it's not random that they switched to a Scope format (the EVA cockpit designs are also crazy detailed and slick : I would agree it is a sign that Khara may be missing the forrest for the tree though). It's also action packed. B-tier Akira with dozens of decapitations ? Yeah, but at least it's not a bore like 1.11 (2.22 had good action scenes but apart for that it's still too close to the series in plot...).

Also can't wait to see how Khara and Anno will get out of the Mari-hole : there's no way they can do anything convincing with that and I am pretty sure an actual explanation will be a riot ("I'm your sister from an alternate future." or "It was all a dream and she was the nurse."). Also, silly me, but I would like some sort of happy ending too, as a final parting with the characters.

I really can't be upset about characterization or the terrible story and all that : I love NGE but it's not like it was a sanctified masterpiece in those parts either. By the way the little that filtered of production is pretty hilarious if you have the courage to dig through evageeks forum.

So pompous, so bombastic :rejoice
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 04:25:46 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2015, 04:32:52 AM »
Here's a copypasta of some quotes I fished on Evageeks a year ago :

---

Tsurumaki: Yeah. The appearance of a new character and Eva Unit-05 was requested by executive producer (Toshimichi) Ootsuki-san. I think the motive was a commercial one - to strengthen the appeal of the film.

(...)

When I requested an explanation of Mari's character before we began doing the storyboards for the pre-title sequence, Anno-san gave me a rather abstract, "thematic" explanation.

--- "Thematic?"

Tsurumaki: It was, "By introducing Mari, we will destroy the world of Eva." Concerning this idea of Mari as a character who represents the subtitle "Break," the explanation that we would directly project her "thematic" character traits onto the story was not sufficient, so I just smiled and nodded. However, we were about to draw the storyboards without something essential - Mari's concrete character was undetermined. The resulting stress would continue for a long time [after that]. (...) I felt like it changed each time the script was revised. Even if the theme of her character was "the destruction of Eva's story," there were numerous concrete ways you could conceive of doing that. In the extreme case, she could "steal" Shinji and destroy all his relationships up to that point, or act as a "nonsense" character who would destroy the "serious" worldview [of Eva]. As there was no trace of a [fixed] methodology according to which she would destroy [Eva], the arguments concerning her continued endlessly.

--- I'm going to bring the subject [of the conversation] back, once more, to Mari. I'd like to ask you about the selection of Maaya Sakamoto-san [for the role]. Around when was the casting [for Mari's role] discussed?

Tsurumaki: The decision was made almost at the last minute. As far as Mari was concerned, Anno-san was, on the whole, extremely circumspect. Maybe it was less circumspection, than the fact that, from a certain stage, [he thought] it would be better if he didn't decide [about Mari]. Perhaps he thought, "If I make the decisions, of course she won't end up being the character who destroys Eva" ...... I don't really know.

Even concerning the [voice] actor's selection - first of all, Mari's character had remained unsettled the whole way up to that point.

(...)

Tsurumaki: As far as the seventh Angel is concerned, the truth is that the original reason [for the change in design] was that the genga (my note : Design document) for that episode had been entirely lost, and we couldn't use the 'BANK.'

(...)

--- There's one thing that mystified me. Despite the fact that the original scenario for the climax was different, in "Prelude" Gendou mentions something like a "love love strategy" intended to bring Rei and Shinji closer together. Why does that appear to be consistent [with "Break"]?

Tsurumaki: Anno-san probably hasn't thought about that very deeply. (My note  :lol)

--- Eh? That wasn't foreshadowing?

Tsurumaki: We on the staff had a conversation about that dialogue from "Prelude," wondering if it was okay to have [Gendou] say that. Not to mention that I thought Rei II was going to die in "Break."

--- Then why, despite that, was there a consistency?

Tsurumaki: This is evidence that the story was developed, not with an "inductive" technique, but with a "deductive" one. "He already said it there, so we have no choice." It's something like a methodology where [the story] is adjusted, even forcibly, to be consistent with what has already been done.

(...)

Tsurumaki: And Gendou replies something like "A little while longer, and our project is complete." I had doubts storyboarding that conversation, and sent Anno-san a series of questions about it. "So Gendou knew this would happen to Unit-01? Or was Gendou also surprised and troubled? Or was Gendou surprised, but pleased with the outcome?" I didn't understand the specific meaning of the statement, so I struggled to interpret it. Anno-san replied that, "For now, we'll say he aimed at this and things went the way he expected."

(...)

About Zeruel design :

Tsurumaki: As for the Angel's final form, I wanted to do something resembling a female villain from the Sentai Series. I still feel that way. (...) Yeah. Similar to Riderman [from Kamen Rider]. From the mouth to the nose you would have the face of a woman, and the head from the eyes upwards would be covered by the Angel. (...) but when I showed the drawing to Anno-san, he naturally thought it was no good. If I was to say which I prefer, I'm someone who enjoys the Sentai Series even more than Kamen Rider, but probably Anno only enjoys the Sentai Series as a joke, and doesn't seriously like them. However, I think we ended up with an interesting design.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 04:44:58 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2015, 08:49:25 AM »
It's okay.
dog

studyguy

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2015, 10:45:15 AM »
Fuck Anno.
:pacspit
pause

Tasty

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2015, 11:19:36 AM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2015, 12:09:12 PM »
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2015, 02:21:05 PM »
Eva is trash, Anno has done far better:

Steampunk scifi anime :whew
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2015, 06:11:24 PM »
Island arc and Africa arc do not exist. :bolo

Also, Anno was not involved with them anyway.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2015, 08:29:42 PM »
With the jizzing penis gif safely in the lead, I think we can conclude that it is art.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2015, 09:55:34 PM »
I watched 'em.  They exist.  And they suuuuuuuuuck.

They're garbage filler that can be completely ignored. As far as I'm concerned, Nadia is 26 episodes long.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2015, 11:55:41 PM »
With the jizzing penis gif safely in the lead, I think we can conclude that it is art.

link

suppadoopa

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2015, 12:00:19 AM »
I don't know

but I bought an Asuka fig today and I felt dirty about it when I was walking out of the shop

then I looked at the back of the box to see the figure was made by SEGA

and now I feel like I'm responsible for funding the next sonic game

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2015, 01:02:36 AM »

link

4th option in the poll (it's white tho, sry).
©@©™

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2015, 01:40:04 AM »
I don't know

but I bought an Asuka fig today and I felt dirty about it when I was walking out of the shop

A. It is okay as long as it isn't one of those you know type figures. And you don't violate its plastic sanctity.
B. Rei figs give bad money to Sega, Asuka figs give good money to Sega. Buy the former to contribute to an abomination.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2015, 02:55:09 AM »
There will never be a Rebuild 4. :fbm
I don't know if it qualifies as art, but it probably has the best "protagonist jerking off without permission" scene in all of anime.
Comatose girls can't say no! :drool
Hi

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2015, 04:23:39 AM »
I don't know

A. It is okay as long as it isn't one of those you know type figures. And you don't violate its plastic sanctity.
B. Rei figs give bad money to Sega, Asuka figs give good money to Sega. Buy the former to contribute to an abomination.

Did you mean "latter," or are you making a joke I didn't get?

suppadoopa

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2015, 09:07:33 PM »

A. It is okay as long as it isn't one of those you know type figures.

nah it isn't

Kara

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2015, 09:21:46 PM »
Maradonna :dead

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2015, 11:20:10 PM »
Lel
So naturally I have some questions.
Is your Lightning merch count above or below 10? Don't need to give the exact number.
Is that before/after pic supposed to be motivational? Or?

suppadoopa

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2015, 12:17:02 AM »
Maradona is just my favorite athlete and I only have 3 light merch (that figure and two keychains I have somewhere)

suppadoopa

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2015, 12:55:41 AM »
BRBR Ronaldo? I'd get disowned by certain family members for displaying huehuhe paraphernalia.

I've been thinking about printing a poster of WC2014 Asuka. But it wouldn't feel right since I'm not fond of the german national team/not german

eh whatever I'll print one out anyway

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2015, 01:05:10 AM »
I have that picture on my computer too.
I never actually gave thought to the idea of printing it out.

But Asuka funposting during the WC was fun  :uguu

I was all about the Germans.
Just remember
 :brazilcry
[close]

suppadoopa

« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2015, 01:21:23 AM »
This one is pretty neat too.

Is there a Misato fanart with her in the JP kit? I'd print it out to balance Asuka with her German kit