Author Topic: Kotor 1 & 2  (Read 2834 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Kotor 1 & 2
« on: July 13, 2015, 05:04:22 PM »
Never actually played Kotor 2 very much so I decided to give it a go. Found a decent recent mod guide so went with that build and it seems to be working pretty decently. Just a heads-up for anybody who might want to try the same thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kotor/comments/3c2kvw/kotor_1_and_2_mod_builds_guaranteed_compatibility/

I'll give some thoughts after I finish it.

Himu

Re: Kotor 1 & 2
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 09:03:39 AM »
A lot of people call GTA the most overrated series of the ps2 generation. I feel that title belongs to KOTOR. The gameplay and battle system are absolutely awful. They take everything great from Baldur's Gate and make it watery boring dog shit. They both have some of the worst graphics of that era, with terrible art design and aesthetic. Comes out looking like a bad looking Dreamcast game. The second game is saved by its story writing; the first game barely has any redeeming qualities. The story especially, is on a level of special awful with the entire plot riding on a boring macguffin. I had the plot twist spoiled in a Game Informer once and it didn't really impact my enjoyment. I was sitting there like,"who CARES?" and went back to mashing their awful battle system with less depth than a Final Fantasy game - can you imagine it? The characters are awful. "My brother!" "I was betrayed by my teacher! Time to bitch and do that arm raving animation!" "Meatbag" the only redeeming characters are Bastilla and the asshole dark side merc dude. I gave it a shot three times. I owned it on PC and Xbox. The third time I finally beat it and it had one of the worst endings I've ever seen in a game for the amount of effort it takes to get there. Unequivocally one of the worst RPGs of all time and probably the most overrated RPG series of all time and they only have two games, three if you count the mmo.

Enjoy 2, but I refuse to ever play 1 ever again. It is :trash on every level and would be a forgotten C game if not for the Star Wars license.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 09:26:01 AM »
Hating HK-47. Why am I not surprised? :ufup

archnemesis

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 09:27:26 AM »
I could never get into the first game. Combat was really boring and the writing didn't make up for it.

Himu

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 09:42:52 AM »
Flurry -> flurry -> flurry -> flurry

KOTOR sports one of the most broken battle systems in a rpg. Flurry is really all you need. How they managed to take one of the best turn based battle systems in all of rpg gaming and turn it into a broken corridor slasher with turns I will never know. But it's awful.

Arch, 1 is putrid all around. 2 still has a lot of 1's awful gameplay but the story and characters can back it up this time. I suggest playing it for that reason alone.

The thing about KOTOR 1 is that it needs a remake more than a lot of other games that are demanded for that honor, especially FFVII. KOTOR has zero redeeming value in 2015, whereas VII still has beautiful artwork and  timeless art design that successfully brings you into its world and a fucking amazing premise.

Hating HK-47. Why am I not surprised? :ufup

HK-47 is a funny character, but little else. There's nothing interesting about him, and he's pretty one note. He's still not as bad as Carth or the T'wili.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 09:59:06 AM »
I liked the first. Haven't played it in years but I liked running around in the star wars universe and being a jedi. I can probably go back and nitpick it, but from what I remember I quite liked it back in the day.

Obviously I always heard 2 was a trainwreck of a game upon release but I always wanted to try the restored version of it. I'm early but enjoying it so far although its really slow in the early parts. That's kind of the way all rpg's use to be though. I remember going back and playing neverwinter a few years back and thinking how slow the pacing was.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 10:43:50 AM »
I adored KotOR back in the day and make a habit to replay it once a year.  The last three years however have really made the game show its age.  It has not aged particularly well at all, especially when you look at BioWare's later efforts.  Even comparing it to Neverwinter Nights.  The combat is repetitive and piss-easy to exploit and the writing is no where near the quality that Mass Effect provides.  It's still fun for the universe and story as a whole, but its definitely one of Bioware's weaker games, looking back.
püp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 02:44:45 PM »
I played Kotor 2 for the first time about two years ago, utilizing most of the major mods. It's obviously aged very poorly, but I still enjoyed it. :yeshrug
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 09:57:40 PM »
I bought KOTOR on iOS during the May the Forth sale; I've never tried it, but heard it was good.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 10:10:51 PM »
I bought KOTOR on iOS during the May the Forth sale; I've never tried it

So you're too busy for that, too?
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 08:26:37 AM »
I bought KOTOR on iOS during the May the Forth sale; I've never tried it

So you're too busy for that, too?

::looks around nervously::

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 12:31:03 AM »
The update just dropped on Steam for PC, Mac, and Linux. It’s a doozy—at least, for a game that’s more than ten years old.

New features include:

37 achievements to be earned through gameplay
Steam Cloud saves
Native widescreen resolution support
Resolution support up to 4K and 5K
Support for controllers, including Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, and Playstation 4, along with several others (check the system requirements for details)
Steam Workshop support! We proudly worked with the Restored Content Mod Team to have their famous TSLRCM up on launch day
Oh... and we added a “Force Speed Effects” option in the menu ;)

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 12:37:37 AM »
they worked with that mod team? cool  :leon
😈

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 12:57:11 AM »
 :ohhh :gladbron

:bow Disney :bow2

BrokenVerses

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 01:46:41 AM »
The update just dropped on Steam for PC, Mac, and Linux. It’s a doozy—at least, for a game that’s more than ten years old.

New features include:

37 achievements to be earned through gameplay
Steam Cloud saves
Native widescreen resolution support
Resolution support up to 4K and 5K
Support for controllers, including Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, and Playstation 4, along with several others (check the system requirements for details)
Steam Workshop support! We proudly worked with the Restored Content Mod Team to have their famous TSLRCM up on launch day
Oh... and we added a “Force Speed Effects” option in the menu ;)

Awesome. It's been a decade since I last played it, looking forward to doing a run with the restored content.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2020, 02:56:09 AM »
lol. So I never finished that original run I was trying and I'm on a completely different computer from back then but I decided to do it again with an updated version of the same build guide.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kotor/comments/ed8zxn/kotor_1_and_2_mod_builds_guaranteed_compatibility/

This time I'm starting with the original kotor.

Just like 5 hours in so far but having a blast. I'm on a retro kick at the moment. Playing this and also ff7 original.

Svejk

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2020, 08:35:21 AM »
KOTOR 1 is the shit.  Bioware at some of it's finest... Star War at some of it's finest... and Jeremy Soule at some of his finest..  The Stars aligned for that game.

Never played KOTOR 2 though... Would like it to drop for Android like the first (which was a great port).

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 08:43:40 AM »
The Xbox version automatically get upscaled to 1920p on the Xbox one X. Might be a cool place to play them as well.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 09:00:22 AM »
You don't want to play Kotor 2 without the fan patch.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2020, 01:16:51 AM »
I'm blowing through the game. Will probably finish it by early next week. Game has a great flow to it. Also does a good job of tantalizing you with stuff right around the corner that you can earn with powers and such. I was playing and enjoying greedfall also but this has kind of stole my singular focus away.

Cheddahz

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2020, 10:12:49 AM »
The Xbox version automatically get upscaled to 1920p on the Xbox one X. Might be a cool place to play them as well.
oh word? i tried playing it on my xbox one s when it came out and playing it in sd was not fun