Author Topic: DETROIT, the new cyberpunk game from visionary auteur David Cage  (Read 6150 times)

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
乱学者

Mods Help

Re: DETROIT, the new cyberpunk game from visionary auteur David Cage
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 04:04:46 PM »
Great premise, but whether or not it'll be good...eh. I'm all for more games that take place in our world and explore our world, though. So I hope it's a success. Much better than another fantasy rpg.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 04:07:14 PM »

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 04:12:55 PM »
Detroit but with robot racism? v inspired.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 04:15:14 PM »
No one can stop the cage.

nudemacusers

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 04:15:53 PM »
dude should just skip the whole hyper real cg aspect of his productions that do nothing but look weird and cost a lot of money and do some nice mobile games where his storytelling and writing skills can shine.

tee hee
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 04:26:24 PM »
Detroit but with robot racism? v inspired.
I liked it better when 80s anime did it.

Looking forward to the underground robot railroad run by homeless people, because David Cage loves noble homeless people.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 04:46:32 PM »
dog

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

bluemax

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 05:00:30 PM »
David Cage and Kojima should just fuck and start a movie studio already.
NO

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 05:12:53 PM »
I see Detroit and cyberpunk and I expect at least to get to hear some quality techno on the soundtrack.  :-\
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 05:51:05 PM »
Cool.  I liked Heavy Rain quite a bit, though I haven't played Beyond yet and heard that one's a bit of a miss.  But I'm always up for more high budget adventure games.  Fahrenheit/Indigo was terrible, but Heavy Rain made up for it imo.

Doesn't this apply to basically every Point n Click adventure game since the beginning of time?  The entire genre is interactive visual novels.  Cage's last 3 are just interactive visual novels with 30 million dollar budgets.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 06:37:06 PM »
I see Detroit and cyberpunk and I expect at least to get to hear some quality techno on the soundtrack.  :-\

Carl Craig or the Suburban Knight doing the music for a game would be rad as hell.
But Cage will probably be content ripping off Spielberg's IA and Deux Ex : Human Revolution. Wouldn't want that to get too real, I guess.
ὕβρις

Rahxephon91

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 06:45:05 PM »
I mean Kojima can actually do the game part if V is anything to go by.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 06:50:34 PM by Rahxephon91 »

bluemax

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 10:53:15 PM »
Cool.  I liked Heavy Rain quite a bit, though I haven't played Beyond yet and heard that one's a bit of a miss.  But I'm always up for more high budget adventure games.  Fahrenheit/Indigo was terrible, but Heavy Rain made up for it imo.

Doesn't this apply to basically every Point n Click adventure game since the beginning of time?  The entire genre is interactive visual novels.  Cage's last 3 are just interactive visual novels with 30 million dollar budgets.

I dunno, how many of those are 50 hours of badly directed cutscenes and 2 hours of crab walking or pressing X to Jaso?
NO

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 12:18:25 AM »

Difference is, at least Kojima remembers he has a game to do and makes game-elements. David Cage joints are basically "press this button to walk forward and do a few game elements while we pretend to be an interactive movie with REALLY bad writing."

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 02:42:32 AM »
Until Dawn is the best Quantic Dream game they never actually made. But if its up to that quality level, well I'll be a happy camper.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 03:15:12 AM »

Don't hold your breath, it'll be orchestrated choral hollywood garbage  :'(

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 07:25:37 AM »
I got suckered in by Cage twice (steam sale and second hand heavy rain) but not gonna let that happen again.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 09:18:32 AM »
I'm curious to see if De Gruttola will be able to keep his story plain or if he will once more inject a terrible supernatural element. I am pretty certain it will be the latter, as the whole "robot with a soul" offers an easy bridge to that.
ὕβρις

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 10:01:45 AM »

For me its more about the subjectively weak quality of the stuff he does. I don't have a problem with what are essentially visual novel style games. I think he generally makes weak ones and nobody is as pretentious as he is. That wouldn't bother me normally. But I feel like the pretentiousness also seeps into the game all over the place.

I liked Heavy Rain. Not perfect but a credible experience. Everything else he has done has either been average or below for me.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 10:41:39 AM »
making all the characters in this game robots would probably be better, since it would give a reason for the poor face and body animations and give it some distance from every other bland scifi racism allegory.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 11:03:04 AM »
Pretentious is a pretty empty term to use in art criticism but it does definitely applies to David De Gruttola. At the time of the Heavy Rain promo, he was spouting the most patronizing, reductive and condescending bullshit about game design as if he was really the first one to think about EMOTIONS and STORYTELLING in videogames. I am not a fan of the type of games he is making (and especially his way of doing it, bloated form compared to function), but surely I don't mind designers exploring that (Whatever you want to classify it : Visual novels, point & click, interactive FMV like). Just keep your ego in check when you're doing such a gameplay-light game, especially when you do it with dozens of millions handed by Sony.

All the more true when you are such a terrible writer. Cage's stuff is the worst and wouldn't even cut it as an average direct to video flick. It honestly reminds me of the shit children or teenagers write in school during recess, which becomes pretty hilarious when wrapped in pseudo-Hollywood production values.

I shouldn't complain, it makes for great video LP material. The "Grandma ! You can talk !?" in Beyond had me in tears.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 06:55:46 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 05:50:13 PM »

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2015, 06:32:49 PM »
fuck this game.

helios

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 07:22:35 PM »
One thing is for sure: the Super Best Friends LP of this will be glorious.

The Sadness Trilogy gets another installment.

I just wish Cage will do something as stupid as Matrix fighting against the Mayans and the internet.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2015, 07:26:29 PM »
It's too bad that this cool, amazing looking game world can't be used for a better game.

Oh well, there's always CD Projekt's Cyberpunk.
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2015, 08:14:39 PM »

I just wish Cage will do something as stupid as Matrix fighting against the Mayans and the internet.

Unfortunately, he's been slighty improving over the course of his Sadness trilogy. I don't think nothing will ever be as outrageous as the Indigo Prophecy. Still expect some bonkers zigzaging in the plot.
ὕβρις

helios

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 08:34:46 PM »

Unfortunately, he's been slighty improving over the course of his Sadness trilogy. I don't think nothing will ever be as outrageous as the Indigo Prophecy. Still expect some bonkers zigzaging in the plot.

Well, there was the underwater Chinese ghost base. And you can always expect rape.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2015, 09:00:50 PM »
What to expect:

Main female protagonist will take a shower.

Main female protagonist will lounge about in underwear.

Apartments will be gigantic, even if the character in question has a normal job.

An important event during childhood will influence the main character's entire arc.

Main female will be molested or attempted rape will happen.

Homeless people will have extensive knowledge behind the main conflict.

Villain will be someone close to the protagonist or a out of place heel turn will occur.

The science behind technology will be supernatural or spiritual.

Main character will either have supernatural powers or be a tech wizard.

Matrix battle scenes in the last third of the game.

Ending of the game will either be incredibly peachy or the entire world is fucked.

Expect the line "Technology is the gift and curse of our existence"
OH!

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2015, 09:57:23 AM »

Well, there was the underwater Chinese ghost base. And you can always expect rape.

Don't be mistaken, I find all of his writing in those equally atrocious. Beyond was probably almost as bad as Indigo Prophecy in the story department but the graphical polish and better standard of acting makes it a bit less zany. I doubt we will see something as goofy as the Simon-prompts fight against giant bedbugs ever again from Cage.
ὕβρις

helios

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2015, 10:50:46 PM »

Don't be mistaken, I find all of his writing in those equally atrocious. Beyond was probably almost as bad as Indigo Prophecy in the story department but the graphical polish and better standard of acting makes it a bit less zany. I doubt we will see something as goofy as the Simon-prompts fight against giant bedbugs ever again from Cage.

It'll be Bop It! fights against the US Founders (and they all talk with a French accent)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2019, 06:39:16 PM »
Necrobump but I've watched with an eye the SBFP (RIP) LP of this and to be fair I thought it was a huge improvement of the formula for David Quantic on writing and overall visual direction. The story is somewhat focused and doesn't go on those incredibly weird yet generic tangents that all the previous games had. The visual style (direction, acting, editing) also captures some of that cinema flair Cage has been chasing his whole career (Beyond almost had some of that in parts but was sunk by how terminally dumb it was) and is genuinely good at points like the pit where androids are discarded. It probably won't age well like the others but already at the time I thought Heavy Rain looked more like some cheapo thriller than Seven. None of the visuals of Detroit are very original (you can probably bingo all of the major references) but it's all very competent.

The writing has most of the other usual issues, it doesn't really survive examination, it's super on the nose, it suffers from Cage apparently having to retread again some very specific situations in his story and the last act is a bit of a mess... But well, you know, small victories. He's still too much of a slave to a certain bland US film universe but at least it never devolves into unintentional parody.

It seemed to me Quantic Dream put a lot more money and care in having some real branching and alternate sequences and having the recap tree of all decision forks at the end of each chapter address some of the issues with this sort of games. It's much less deceptive and frustrating for it to be open. Perhaps more artificial but less arbitrary as a player.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:16:53 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2019, 06:49:13 PM »
I shat on Cage mercilessly ever since i played Fahrenheit, back in the day (and then Heavy Rain and Beyond), but Detroit was legit good in most respects.
It's the best game in the genre by far (followed by Until Dawn).

The story is still schlock, with the heavy handed themes and stupid plot points, but there's some genuinely fun character interactions in there (especially between the robocop and the booze cop), and the whole branching structure is flat out impressively complex and handled very well.

I used to still enjoy his games on a "so bad it's good" comfy level, but this one, i just straight up had fun going through, despite having plenty of unintentionally hilarious moments.
Also graphics were fucking insane on the PS4 pro.  :whoo

kingv

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2019, 06:54:12 PM »
I have this in the backlog and am frankly looking forward to it.

I genuinely enjoyed Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit. The story is kind of dumb, and ends especially dumb, but a lot of the pieces going through both games were pretty enjoyable.

Fahrenheit I thought was really really close to being a classic (albeit one that would age really poorly) the last act in that game was extra bad though.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2019, 09:05:53 AM »
And despite being so on the nose it's also the first Cage story where some things are actually left to the imagination, if I am not mistaken.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's heavily implied that the human is about to be fucked by global warming, perhaps a short term war over the North Pole and that androids will maybe inherit the Earth by default. Maybe some alternative scenes comment on that more explicitly but otherwise it's just left there for optional context.
[close]

There's still a twist that seems to be there just to satisfy a fetish for plot mechanics and some weapon-grade lead loaded symbolic imagery™ by the end that really detract from the story but overall it really feels like they had an editor to mollify our very own French VideoGame Genius this time round.
ὕβρις