Author Topic: Nintendo NX thread  (Read 27428 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: Nintendo NX thread
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2016, 05:29:46 AM »
I'm gonna call BS on the no naked eye perception of the difference between SD and HD. If you were serious.
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2016, 07:59:15 AM »
Nintendo fans often make threads like "Is Zelda SS the best looking game ever?"

qq more

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2016, 08:56:51 AM »
Nintendo fans often make threads like "Is Zelda SS the best looking game ever?"
lmfao that was a thing? that game looked a bigger eyesore than any other Wii game I've tried playing on an HDTV :lol

I'm gonna call BS on the no naked eye perception of the difference between SD and HD. If you were serious.
The whole post is a parody of shit crazy Nintendo fans says. ofc it isn't serious
ok

Tasty

« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2016, 09:35:35 AM »
Handheld with a TV dock is what I'm hoping for. Basically a New 3DS with Wii U graphics. You can buy the handheld by itself for $170 or with the dock + Pro Controller + some game for $250.

There won't be any backwards compatibility.

Nintendo Account just launched in Japan but I haven't heard much about it since then. Hopefully online isn't shit. I don't think games will be tied to system starting with the NX.

Man I love being right (dunno about SKUs/prices though.)

Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers

Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers, a number of sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.

A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

For more on the console's power, Digital Foundry has a deep-dive look at the chip Nintendo has chosen as the centrepiece of NX, according to numerous well-placed sources: Nvidia's powerful Tegra mobile processor.

NX will use game cartridges as its choice of physical media, multiple sources have also told us.

Considering NX's basis as a handheld first and foremost, the choice may not come as too much of a surprise - although we have heard the suggestion Nintendo recommends a 32GB cartridge, which is small when considering the size of many modern games.

Naturally, we expect digital game downloads will also be available. We were told Nintendo considered but then decided against making a system which supported digital downloads only.

It's not the first time cartridge-based media has been mooted for NX. Back in May, eagle-eyed fans spotted The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's trademark included cartridge-based games. This was a change from Nintendo's usual wording for home console trademarks, which only refer to digital downloads and discs.

Due to the radical change in hardware design and internal technology, we've been told by one source that there are no plans for backwards compatibility.

Another source said the system would run on a new operating system from Nintendo. It won't, contrary to some earlier rumours, simply run on Android.

Inside the NX, as stated above, the system will harness Nvidia's powerful mobile processor Tegra. Graphical comparisons with current consoles are difficult due to the vastly different nature of the device - but once again we've heard Nintendo is not chasing graphical parity. Quite the opposite, it is sacrificing power to ensure it can squeeze all of this technology into a handheld, something which also tallies with earlier reports.

Finally, we've heard from one source that NX planning has recently moved up a gear within Nintendo ahead of the console's unveiling, which is currently slated for September.

After the confused PR fiasco of the Wii U launch, the company is already settling on a simple marketing message for NX - of being able to take your games with you on the go.

Nintendo always designs its hardware to show off specific game concepts - and it remains to be seen how the system will showcase the next Mario, or even how the NX version of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - the only first-party game confirmed so-far - may differ when played on the device.

Previously, however, we've heard reports of various Wii U games reappearing as updated NX ports - Splatoon and Smash Bros. have both been mooted. And then there's Pikmin 4, which Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed to Eurogamer just over a year ago.

"Nintendo has not made any new official announcements regarding NX which is due to launch in March 2017," a Nintendo spokesperson told Eurogamer when contacted about this story. "As such [we're] unable to comment on the various rumours and speculations circulating."

Nintendo NX is basically the Supaboy, right down to the cartridge-based media:

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2016, 09:36:47 AM »
Carts  ::)

Whats the point

Tasty

« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2016, 09:43:41 AM »
Carts  ::)

Whats the point

Same as it's always been: faster load times, smaller necessary form factor, fewer moving parts (my guess would be none), and less prone to damage.

This is still a handheld keep in mind.

Also, 32 GB is more than a single-layer Blu-ray, and considering the alleged power of this thing it's unlikely to need much more (though I expect 64 GB carts eventually, maybe even for Zelda.)

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2016, 09:46:02 AM »
R.I.P. in peace Nintendo.  :success

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2016, 09:54:30 AM »
Previously, however, we've heard reports of various Wii U games reappearing as updated NX ports - Splatoon
NX for babies confirmed.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2016, 10:20:50 AM »
So... this is going to be Nintendo's 3DS successor then? I mean it's a handheld.
nat

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2016, 10:22:45 AM »
gg, time to reskin more mobile games with nintendo chars because this shit is dead already.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2016, 10:40:55 AM »
This is what it obviously always was. Their hand held stuff would always crush it and get third party support too, so why not make it be the home console at the same time?
Hi

archie4208

« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2016, 10:54:33 AM »
I'll get it if it has fun games and is cheap enough.  :yeshrug

I'm still a Nintendo stan at heart.

Tasty

« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2016, 10:57:58 AM »
Cross-posted from the GAF thread (dunno why we're discussing it there.)

I'd rather buy one system than two.

If the 3DS and Wii U were one system it would have had a pretty stellar library overall. :yeshrug

I just hope they don't price themselves out of the market. 3DS showed $250 for a handheld is DOA. There might be a little more leeway here since it can also be sold as a home system, but if it was $200 I think it'd have a decent showing.

If it launches with Zelda, Smash 4 and Mario Kart that'd be cool.

Too much unknown shit to really say at this point. What I'm personally excited about is being able to play the next Monster Hunter and Pokemans both anywhere I want and also on my big screen, without having to buy two SKUs and do save transferring like MH3U. That part's gonna be pretty baller at least. :obama

So... this is going to be Nintendo's 3DS successor then? I mean it's a handheld.

Yup. Also their Wii U successor (should be just as powerful, and rumor is it'll have ports of Smash 4 and MK8 close to launch.)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2016, 11:03:21 AM »
no way this thing launches for under $300. i mean the wii u still costs $300. hoping it's no more than 350 but 400 wouldn't surprise me
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2016, 11:20:18 AM »
Wii U only costs $300 because Nintendo is trying to maximize profit on each system sold, they know they're not going to sell much more of them.

The most expensive part of this is the CPU/GPU. If it uses the NVIDIA X1 as rumored, that chip's biggest competitor is the Snapdragon 810, which can be found in the OnePlus 2 - a $300 phone.

Take out GPS, data network radios (2G/3G/4G), the fingerprint sensor, bump storage from 64 GB to 32, dump a GB or two of RAM, and swap the 1080p screen for 480p+ and $200 could be reasonable.

We'll see though. I was floored the 3DS retailed for $250 at launch. Considering they slashed it to $170 a couple months later, it was a painful lesson for Nintendo about inflating the price to chase profit too.

We'll see. :yeshrug
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:25:05 AM by Tasty Meat »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2016, 11:36:50 AM »
I still rep SEGA, and my PC bros are good with it  8)

Tasty

« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2016, 11:38:21 AM »
I also expect the dock will have USB ports. Mostly I want it for the GameCube adapter.

Speaking of, I really hope the "official" controller for the home mode is a rebranded Wii U Pro Controller, and old Pro Controllers are compatible (they're Bluetooth, so...)

Tasty

« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2016, 11:38:46 AM »

Sega is even more irrelevant than Nintendo doe

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2016, 11:49:46 AM »
I also expect the dock will have USB ports. Mostly I want it for the GameCube adapter.

Speaking of, I really hope the "official" controller for the home mode is a rebranded Wii U Pro Controller, and old Pro Controllers are compatible (they're Bluetooth, so...)

Lol you can hope, but they sure do love to sell accessories...

Tasty

« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2016, 11:56:30 AM »

Lol you can hope, but they sure do love to sell accessories...

:yeshrug Wii accessories still worked on Wii U, heck you can play with a GC controller on Wii U (...with an accessory... :lol)

qq more

« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2016, 12:26:48 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this, but neither are on the extreme of any side. Just "eh could be cool" and "eh sounds kinda dumb" simultaneously. Either way I'm not really excited right now.
ok

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2016, 12:44:21 PM »

for you

Tasty

« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2016, 12:46:13 PM »

for you

Did you like miss Pokemon Go

qq more

« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2016, 12:56:04 PM »
Am I in the 90s right now
ok

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2016, 01:03:24 PM »
"It's gonna be powerful guys, just watch"

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2016, 01:34:37 PM »
Thinking about it, if they released a PSTV version, ie you buy the home console part and skip the handheld aspect entirely, and its $100-$150 with a controller, I would be a lot more interested. The PSTV is incredibly limited in what it can do with media shit and not all games are compatible for it, but what it does is perfect for me. A micro console that plays old PS1 games, PSP games, and a large amount of Vita games.

Its shocking how inept Nintendo is with their library of older games. Everything from the NES to the Wii should be available digitally. Its a ginormous pain in the ass to play old Nintendo shit if you aren't emulating it.
OH!

Tasty

« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2016, 02:37:53 PM »
I wouldn't expect GC, Wii or Wii U for quite some time now that they're finally ditching that architecture for good.

Also the system is a PSTV on the face of it, not sure what else you want. Just ignore that you can take it out of the dock.

Hopefully it does come with a real controller though.

mormapope

« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2016, 02:48:20 PM »
I don't want to pay $350/$400 for the complete hybrid package, I want to buy the dock only with a controller. It would be daft to not offer both options.

I assumed both parts of the console are powerful enough to work by themselves without needing one another.
OH!

Dennis

« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2016, 02:53:30 PM »
This is terribly disappointing.

Even if powerful for a handheld it is pretty far from what I wanted.

Trent Dole

« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2016, 02:55:22 PM »
It's going to have the new Zelda on it and thus the machines specs should at least be close to on par with their current home console.
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2016, 02:56:19 PM »
I don't want to pay $350/$400 for the complete hybrid package, I want to buy the dock only with a controller. It would be daft to not offer both options.

I assumed both parts of the console are powerful enough to work by themselves without needing one another.

I'll eat my hat if this is more than $300.

It'd be daft to confuse consumers out of the gate again. Eurogamer says they're focusing on one message: "being able to take your games with you on the go."

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2016, 02:56:58 PM »
I hope the NX bombs and becomes the go-to system for pervy Japanese weeb games. :lawd
©@©™

mormapope

« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2016, 03:03:09 PM »

It'd be daft to confuse consumers out of the gate again. Eurogamer says they're focusing on one message: "being able to take your games with you on the go."

Microsoft and Sony have been offering up different SKUs for many years now. Nintendo has done all sorts of weird things with their handhelds. 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, New 3DS.

If Nintendo can't advertise or market "This is for home console owners, this is for people that want to take that experience with them", they somehow forgot how to sell videogames to people.

The Wii-U was a instant dud for a bunch of reasons. The tablet that you couldn't leave the home with, being named Wii, which was a deader than dead console when the Wii-U came out. Launching with another New Super Mario Bros game. The gimmick of the console being shown off with a mini game collection a lot less captivating than before.
OH!

Tasty

« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2016, 03:05:38 PM »

Microsoft and Sony have been offering up different SKUs for many years now. Nintendo has done all sorts of weird things with their handhelds. 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, New 3DS.

If Nintendo can't advertise or market "This is for home console owners, this is for people that want to take that experience with them", they somehow forgot how to sell videogames to people.

Different SKUs turned out terribly for the Wii U. Basic edition was killed after like a year, and the only thing different with it was color and storage space.

And you want them to make a SKU that doesn't even have the system's defining feature? And have it exist side-by-side with the hybrid SKU? Yeah, no. :ufup

mormapope

« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2016, 03:14:46 PM »

Different SKUs turned out terribly for the Wii U. Basic edition was killed after like a year, and the only thing different with it was color and storage space.

And you want them to make a SKU that doesn't even have the system's defining feature? And have it exist side-by-side with the hybrid SKU? Yeah, no. :ufup

There were two SKUs for Wii-U, that wasn't the issue. The issue with the Wii-U was the Wii-U, there being two different versions is like reason #99 why it was a dud. You ignored my point entirely, different SKUs aren't confusing for the videogame market and specific audiences.

If selling two different SKUs is a lot for Nintendo to handle, they deserve a third party fate ASAP. You also have to be a moleman to get flustered by seeing two SKUs, one that's advertised as "play at home" and "play everywhere".
OH!

Tasty

« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2016, 03:15:38 PM »
You're gonna buy this shit anyways lmao.

mormapope

« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2016, 03:18:04 PM »
The last Nintendo console I owned was a gamecube that someone sold to me for $40 :teehee :umad

Videogames are entering a period where consoles cater to specific people and needs. For the people that feel insecure about games running on low or medium settings, or want to watch a movie in 4K, there will be consoles for them. For people that want to play games and are fine with whatever the resolution and framerate is, those consoles are for those people.

If Nintendo's strategy is "we know Nintendo fans like to eat shit, give us $350 for the only experience we offer", this will be another dud off the bat.

Let me pay $150 for the home console to play the latest Zelda, Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest in HD at home.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:26:58 PM by mormapope »
OH!

Tasty

« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2016, 03:20:32 PM »
GameCube :larry
Wii :leon
Wii U :goty2

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2016, 03:50:45 PM »
It's going to have the new Zelda on it and thus the machines specs should at least be close to on par with their current home console.

The NX port could be weaker than the Wii U version
🍆🍆

Tasty

« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2016, 03:56:58 PM »
Wii U owners redeemed :rejoice

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2016, 04:36:06 PM »

The NX port could be weaker than the Wii U version

I may be wrong but I think it was mentioned around E3 that the game would feature graphical enhancements on NX compared to Wii U

anyhoo, this is dumb but I'm going to buy it because of course I fucking am because I have no concept of sense
püp

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2016, 05:52:36 PM »
I like Nintendo games so yes I will buy the Nintendo console. Also this looks like it could be pretty cool. Hybrid home/portable console has been something I've wanted for quite a while.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2016, 07:18:57 PM »
I've learned to keep my mouth shut about Nintendo in the last few year.

"You mean you waggle the controller? HA! No one is ever going to buy that thing!"
que

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2016, 08:43:32 PM »
This is gonna be a boon to people who like Japanese games but on the big screen, like me.
^_^

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2016, 08:44:34 PM »
They may have said "graphical enhancements" but that doesn't mean that it will look or play better than the Wii U version :doge  Nintendo is the master at using language like that.

It's not a big deal if it is weaker than the Wii U because it's just a place for Nintendo to dump the next round of NSMB, Mario Kart, 3D Mario, etc. games.  I'm sure there will be a Splatoon sequel.  I'm sure Mario Kart 9 will feature online play.  It's guaranteed that they will find a way to tie Pokemon Go to something on the NX.  No real surprises but that isn't a terrible thing.
🍆🍆

Tasty

« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2016, 09:45:43 PM »

DF thinks Zelda should have better performance, resolutions, and textures. :yeshrug

The GAF thread is filled with deluded loons but some of you guys are in the complete opposite direction. Meh.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2016, 10:14:20 PM »
It will have better performance thanks to better than ps3/360/wii u spec, no android supposedly, and Vulkan.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2016, 10:39:53 PM »
Vulkan will be interesting. But I can't see third parties developing for this thing.

qq more

« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2016, 12:23:08 AM »

DF thinks Zelda should have better performance, resolutions, and textures. :yeshrug

The GAF thread is filled with deluded loons but some of you guys are in the complete opposite direction. Meh.
I'm doing a wait and see approach right now. I can't say I'm very optimistic though. Wouldn't surprise me if this rumor is false, but wouldn't surprise me if it's true either. The whole wait for the NX reveal got tiring for me.
ok

Trent Dole

« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2016, 02:29:02 AM »
This is gonna be a boon to people who like Japanese games but on the big screen, like me.
There's this thing called PS4...
Hi

bluemax

« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2016, 02:39:39 AM »
Vulkan will be interesting. But I can't see third parties developing for this thing.

I'm sure Unity will get ported to it, so your third party games will consist of rush job indie ports and not much else.

I dunno what publisher attitudes are like these days, but back in the Wii days the only way to get something greenlight was if it was in a genre that Nintendo didn't make (ie if you wanted to make a platformer or racing game you were probably SOL) because the perception was that Ninthings would only buy Nintendo entrants in a genre.
NO

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2016, 07:02:22 AM »
Sure it will have some ports in the launch window then it will be dead

Maybe a port of Pokemon go

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2016, 09:49:29 AM »

The examples they were using with the Nvidia shield were using a Tegra X1 on Android as well. If they use The Tegra X2, it should get them around Xbone or better levels of performance once you remove Android from the equation. Like, it won't be out of pace with last gen and the PS4 and Xbone will still exist for a good while even with Scorpio and Neo. They will probably have benefits working with Nvidia like Nvidia's ported apps as well, maybe even Nvidia GRID for saying technically they have a way to play 3rd party games.

Same time, it's Nintendo. They could fuck this up rotten. 

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2016, 10:03:02 AM »
My money is on its battery life being absolutely shit.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2016, 11:00:56 AM »
shaped as Mario's water pack. 

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2016, 12:15:13 PM »
shaped as Mario's water pack. 

Which can spray lithium into a bully's eyes so you can escape being beat up for being a nerd.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2016, 12:37:32 PM »
Would rather have the Poltergust. :expert

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2016, 01:20:09 PM »
My money is on its battery life being absolutely shit.
Literally a backpack that has a giant battery* in it.**

*Sold separately
**Micro USB charging cable not included

©ZH

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2016, 10:49:27 PM »
Not sure why power matters all that much. 3rd parties arnt coming regardless. Whimsy looks decent on wiiu like tech

They just need to hit a price point of "fuck it. Why not I'll buy it"
dur

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2016, 11:59:02 PM »

I'm sure Unity will get ported to it, so your third party games will consist of rush job indie ports and not much else.

I dunno what publisher attitudes are like these days, but back in the Wii days the only way to get something greenlight was if it was in a genre that Nintendo didn't make (ie if you wanted to make a platformer or racing game you were probably SOL) because the perception was that Ninthings would only buy Nintendo entrants in a genre.

It was that and that Nintendo treats third parties like shit. It's notorious about that. Just see how they were in the 1980's/NES and Carmack's comments about them.