Author Topic: Generic RIP Thread  (Read 119833 times)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Re: Generic RIP Thread
« Reply #360 on: October 31, 2018, 12:15:52 PM »
Fucking liberal prisoners giving in to the african american rhetoric.

"Kill whitey!"

Well, here you have it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #361 on: November 12, 2018, 01:55:34 PM »
R.I.P. Stan Lee.   :(
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #362 on: November 12, 2018, 02:01:32 PM »
 :'( :stahp
🤴

Himu

« Reply #363 on: November 12, 2018, 04:27:51 PM »
STAN LEE :stahp :stop :tocry
IYKYK

Occam

« Reply #364 on: November 12, 2018, 04:39:24 PM »
Rest in peace.
Gonna miss his cameos.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #365 on: November 12, 2018, 04:45:03 PM »
Even disregarding everything else, he proved that you can still be cool even if you're super-old and a nerd.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #366 on: November 12, 2018, 06:02:29 PM »
R.I.P. Stan Lee.   :(
Pretty good write-up:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/stan-lee-dead-marvel-comics-real-life-superhero-was-95-721450

I wish Jack Kirby had lasted as long and been given more credit.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #367 on: November 12, 2018, 07:43:17 PM »
It was one of his catch phrases, meant it to be respectful so if you thought it was disrespectful it wasn't my intention.

Look at this DC avatar having motherfucker coming in here with his "sorry if you were offended" bullshit.  :maf
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #368 on: November 13, 2018, 01:41:10 AM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #369 on: November 13, 2018, 09:14:01 AM »
Even disregarding everything else, he proved that you can still be cool even if you're super-old and a nerd.

Loved him in Mallrats!
ど助平

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #370 on: November 27, 2018, 01:07:40 PM »
RIP to Stephen Hillenburg, creator of Spongebob  :(

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #372 on: December 14, 2018, 01:35:09 AM »
This is so late, and few people on this forum will know who this is, but I just found out Terry Davis died in a train accident in August. The man was a legend in computing circles. Schizophrenic, autistic, and deeply religious, this guy worked on building an entire operating system for twelve years because God told him it would be the Third Temple. Terry Davis frequently got himself banned from programming forums due to inexplicably hostile behavior, replete with (bizarrely out of place) racism and homophobia. His mental illness caused him numerous issues throughout his life and he was in and out of homelessness. He posted many, many videos online and had a small cult following, both out of mockery and admiration. Recently he took down his youtube videos to "stop littering the internet" and within hours he had been struck by a train while walking along the railroad. It is unclear whether it was a suicide or not.

Terry Davis' operating system Temple OS, despite being a product of insane delusions and an object of frequent mockery, was actually a technical feat and an inspired work. It resembles the homogeneous computing environments of Plan 9, Oberon, Genera, the various Smalltalk operating systems, etc. While not being the first to implement the ideas and principles those systems pioneered, it achieves them impressively well, and the fact that it was the work of just one person is amazing in its own right. For those interested, here is a more technical overview.

Terry Davis lived an eventful life and it is a tragedy that it ended so soon. RIP.
每天生气

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #373 on: December 14, 2018, 10:21:56 AM »
This is so late, and few people on this forum will know who this is, but I just found out Terry Davis died in a train accident in August. The man was a legend in computing circles. Schizophrenic, autistic, and deeply religious, this guy worked on building an entire operating system for twelve years because God told him it would be the Third Temple. Terry Davis frequently got himself banned from programming forums due to inexplicably hostile behavior, replete with (bizarrely out of place) racism and homophobia. His mental illness caused him numerous issues throughout his life and he was in and out of homelessness. He posted many, many videos online and had a small cult following, both out of mockery and admiration. Recently he took down his youtube videos to "stop littering the internet" and within hours he had been struck by a train while walking along the railroad. It is unclear whether it was a suicide or not.

Terry Davis' operating system Temple OS, despite being a product of insane delusions and an object of frequent mockery, was actually a technical feat and an inspired work. It resembles the homogeneous computing environments of Plan 9, Oberon, Genera, the various Smalltalk operating systems, etc. While not being the first to implement the ideas and principles those systems pioneered, it achieves them impressively well, and the fact that it was the work of just one person is amazing in its own right. For those interested, here is a more technical overview.

Terry Davis lived an eventful life and it is a tragedy that it ended so soon. RIP.

Oh, wow, I thought he just was going through one of his quiet spells. He'd disappear and reappear and get back to coding. What a mind that person had.

Had.  :( :( :(
rub

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #374 on: December 30, 2018, 12:46:54 AM »
Ringo Lam, one of the best director's from Hong Kong's golden age of film, has died at 63.

Yeah, he peaked twenty odd years ago, but to be fair pretty much all of his contemporaries did. He was back to making films again after a long absence and his semi-recent Wild City compares well to any of his non-classic films. Its a shame John Woo took the title Hard Boiled, because that was essentially the perfect title for any number of Lam's best films. Although Full Contact is pretty fucking succinct as self-advertising ever goes (its a remake of Point Blank that manages the seemingly impossible task of out masculine-ing a Lee Marvin film).

Lam also directed Jean Claude Van Damme in some of his better films (Maximum Risk, In Hell/The Savage), for which he has likely greater renown. If you care about the history of action cinema, or have ever liked tough, unsparing films the world took quite a loss today.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #375 on: December 30, 2018, 05:10:23 AM »
Very sad about Ringo Lam passing :fbm

Basically everything he did from 1987 to 1999 is great save a couple. I'd recommend Full Alert (his best film IMHO), The Suspect, Wild Search especially. Victim is ok, though a little samey to Full Alert. Burning Paradise is great, an even darker twist on the Film Workshop formula though it's unclear to me if it's really a film with his personal touch or if the finely tuned machine of Tsui Hark productions did most of the lifting. Not a lot of clear memories of Full Contact (except an ice warehouse and Chow Yun Fat as super cool biker enforcer) but it was good, less subdued and grimy therefore closer to a "classic" HK film John Woo style.

ὕβρις

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #376 on: December 30, 2018, 06:01:25 AM »
You are so right about Full Alert. I still have a lot of his films to see though (I refuse to see a dubbed version of City on Fire, thanks for nothing Miramax). That movie is so gritty I needed a spittoon to watch it, its perhaps the best ultra-bleak cop thriller I've ever seen. I even liked his hugely aberrant Looking for Mr. Perfect, wherein Simon Yam essentially re-does his particularly vile Full Contact villain in a decidedly more slapsticky setting.

63 is too damn young to go out. He's got a great body of work behind him of course, but he was still adding to it, and right now for the Cantonese film industry losing the guy who made Sky on Fire is still a significant loss.

Also he essentially gave Tony Leung (not the Wong Kar Wai Tony, the other one) his career, for which we should all be grateful.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #377 on: December 30, 2018, 09:07:59 AM »
I haven't bought DVDs in a long time but most films were available from HK with serviceable subs (though sometimes comically stilted) and with no zone restrictions. One major exception was School on Fire, which you could only buy as a VCD but I believe a DVD edition exists now (unsure... The film apparently didn't sit well with authorities and was a bomb.). That's how I saw most of them. Maybe I'll balk today at the transfers in this HD age but heh. City on Fire is good but it probably doesn't live up to the hype of being namedropped constantly for 20 years. As often with Lam it's a fairly subdued affair.

Not a big fan of Looking for Mr Perfect though there is definitely some WTF parts and Simon Yam is a pleasure as often.

I've seen the Other Side of Gentleman too and it's a boring run of the mill romcom. Haven't seen anything recent though, I'll try Wild City.

The other films I'll file under meh in the golden period are Undercover Wars (there's Vernon Wells) and Touch and Go, which are both mediocre though not insultingly so. There's a couple I haven't seen (Prison on Fire 2 IIRC). His Van Damme films are average, Replication is the most worthy for the weird sci fi hook. Triangle is very forgettable but the part he probably directed (the middle bit) was by far the best in the film.

Apart from CYF and Lau Ching Wan, Lam also had quite some good bad guy roles for Roy Cheung).
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #379 on: January 02, 2019, 02:02:17 PM »

R.I.P.

Himu

« Reply #380 on: January 02, 2019, 02:06:10 PM »
Mene Gene deserves his own thread.
IYKYK

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #381 on: January 02, 2019, 02:47:52 PM »
©ZH

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #382 on: January 02, 2019, 02:59:01 PM »
at least he is with his nephew now

f

edit: what had he done to his face

:kobeyuck
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 03:06:13 PM by Mr Gilhaney »

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #383 on: January 02, 2019, 03:13:07 PM »
2019 off to a shit start
rub

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #384 on: January 02, 2019, 03:24:17 PM »
Super Dave is dead too? Bummer. :(
©@©™

shosta

« Reply #385 on: January 02, 2019, 04:00:42 PM »
Bob Einstein was one of the most deeply funny people I've ever watched. When I first saw Curb Your Enthusiasm I really hated his obnoxious character, but when I finally understood what was going on, he actually became my favorite in the whole cast.

RIP
每天生气

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #386 on: January 02, 2019, 04:07:53 PM »
Mean Gene was one of those guys you didn't realize how good he was until you saw others try to do his job (poorly). The guy was almost Lou Costello-like, in terms of how good a straight man he was.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #387 on: January 02, 2019, 05:43:03 PM »
Mean Gene and Super Dave on the same day. 2019 already sucks so much. :fbm
dog

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #388 on: January 22, 2019, 03:36:31 PM »
rumors of The Roundtable of Gentlemen returning starts, and then Kevin Barnett has to go and fucking die. Rip bird luger.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #389 on: January 31, 2019, 12:59:54 AM »
actual footage of Dick Miller's death yesterday:

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #390 on: February 25, 2019, 07:56:56 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/feb/25/mark-hollis-lead-singer-of-talk-talk-dies-at-age-64-reports-say

RIP Mark Hollis.
Worst RIP news since Leslie Nielsen and Satoshi Kon died in the same fucking year.

I loved one of his last piece of music, he did for one of the outros of BOSS:

Also Spirit of Eden, Laughing Stock and his solo album are top tier.

Occam

« Reply #391 on: March 11, 2019, 03:12:03 AM »
Jan-Michael Vincent (Airwolf, The Winds of War) has died at 74 on 10 February (didn't hit the news until a few days ago).

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #392 on: March 11, 2019, 01:10:48 PM »

:salute
dog

shosta

« Reply #393 on: March 18, 2019, 07:48:44 PM »
Alan Krueger killed himself :notlikethis
每天生气

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #394 on: March 24, 2019, 10:44:11 PM »
B-movie LEGEND Larry Cohen has passed away.

The guy made artful trash, or trashy art. Never met a gimmick he didn't like and his work helped steer me towards the exact type of cinema nerd I am today. Specifically the kind that will enjoy social commentary if its delivered alongside awesome stuntwork (I heart Maniac Cop). The guy also had some periods of respectability and mainstream success (friggin Sidney Lumet directed one of his scripts), good for him. Never quite stuck though, always came back to junky thrillers and such. Good for us.

Thanks for The Stuff, Q:The Winged Serpent, God Told me To, and a multitude of other dang good films I've had the pleasure of seeing.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #395 on: April 05, 2019, 11:58:44 PM »
Shit, just found out Dolores O'Riordan passed away last January, at the meager age of 46.  :'(

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #396 on: April 06, 2019, 12:03:41 AM »
Shit, just found out Dolores O'Riordan passed away last January, at the meager age of 46.  :'(
Was it that recent? I remember the news, but i would've swore it was in, like, 2016.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #397 on: April 06, 2019, 03:14:12 AM »
Was it that recent? I remember the news, but i would've swore it was in, like, 2016.
Every month has felt like a year’s worth of bullshit since November 2016.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #398 on: April 06, 2019, 04:52:02 AM »

maybe she'll come back as a zom-bay bay bay bay

I laughed. I'll see you in hell.

Oh no.... Chronovore is turning senile. :'(   

RIP Chronovore brain

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #399 on: April 06, 2019, 10:10:05 PM »

maybe she'll come back as a zom-bay bay bay bay

I laughed. I'll see you in hell.

Oh no.... Chronovore is turning senile. :'(   

RIP Chronovore brain

Oh, SHIT. :lol

Yeah, it's been a bit of a year for me. I came home to Osaka this weekend and everyone asked if I've lost weight (negligible 2kg) and told me I've absolutely got more white hair.  >:(

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #400 on: April 16, 2019, 05:22:19 PM »
dog

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #401 on: April 22, 2019, 08:25:38 PM »
the maker of this amazing filmed died a few weeks back https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274518/ and was mourned greatly in my country. rip Mr. Fatman as he liked to be called. That movie title might be offensive, but it's dealing with a very real problem that we are facing these days. It's time for earth to go full homo imo

shosta

« Reply #402 on: April 23, 2019, 10:45:16 PM »
Fuck, Joe Armstrong, computer scientist and creator of Erlang, died? Guy was a legend, very personable, gonna be missed.
每天生气

jorma

« Reply #403 on: April 24, 2019, 04:28:53 PM »
Cliff Barnes/Ken Kercheval is dead at 83 yo :(

shosta

« Reply #404 on: April 25, 2019, 04:24:38 AM »
每天生气

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #405 on: April 25, 2019, 09:11:17 AM »
dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #406 on: April 29, 2019, 06:11:19 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #407 on: April 30, 2019, 06:54:18 AM »

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #408 on: May 02, 2019, 07:37:57 PM »
___

skullstorm

« Reply #409 on: May 02, 2019, 08:10:45 PM »
 :(

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #410 on: May 02, 2019, 09:06:47 PM »
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #412 on: May 12, 2019, 04:36:43 AM »
RIP Norma.   :'(

agrajag

« Reply #413 on: May 12, 2019, 03:06:31 PM »
She's serving up slices of Cherry Pie and mugs of damn good coffee in heaven

:goldberg

Occam

« Reply #414 on: May 13, 2019, 03:04:50 PM »
Doris Day has died at age 97.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #415 on: May 14, 2019, 02:00:42 PM »
Tim Conway just died. Dude was the reason I started looking into stand up :fbm
que

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #416 on: May 14, 2019, 02:07:14 PM »
Tim Conway just died. Dude was the reason I started looking into stand up :fbm

Two stars from the Star Wars Holiday Special dead within two weeks.  :'(
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #417 on: May 14, 2019, 04:45:11 PM »

One of the best.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #418 on: May 14, 2019, 07:25:29 PM »
Conway truly was one of the greatest comedians.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #419 on: May 17, 2019, 08:43:38 AM »
big f for grumpy cat