Author Topic: Milo Yiannopoulos Launches Violent Assault on the University of Pittsburgh  (Read 6071 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
http://pittnews.com/article/69187/news/students-speak-out-against-yiannopoulus/?platform=hootsuite
In the spirit of free speech, Pitt’s Student Government Board passed the microphone Tuesday to a line of students speaking out about a controversial speaker whose visit SGB partially funded.

At its public meeting in Nordy’s Place, students packed the William Pitt Union’s multipurpose room to speak their piece on Milo Yiannopoulos’ lecture Monday evening. The Board released a statement earlier in the day  defending its allocations decision and inviting students to “share their perspectives” at the meeting.

Yiannopoulos, a controversial conservative writer and activist who tours colleges to speak about the need for free speech, spoke at Pitt Monday evening to a crowd of about 350 students, some of whom protested the lecture. The Board had allocated funding to Pitt College Republicans, who had invited Yiannopoulos to campus.

During his talk, Yiannopoulos called students who believe in a gender wage gap “idiots,” declared the Black Lives Matter movement a “supremacy” group, while feminists are “man-haters.”

According to Board member Jack Heidecker, when SGB considers funding for allocations, it must take a neutral stance and cannot consider the content of the speaker. Despite its legal binding, the Board apologized to the students who were hurt from the speech.

“Just because we have to be neutral with our funding doesn’t mean we’re personally neutral — we feel strongly about these things,” Heidecker said. “I hurt yesterday, too.”
Marcus Robinson, president of Pitt’s Rainbow Alliance, said after leaving the lecture on Monday, he felt unsafe on campus for the first time.

“So many of us shared in our pain. I felt I was in danger, and I felt so many people in that room were in danger. This event erased the great things we’ve done,” Robinson said. “For the first time, I’m disappointed to be at Pitt.”

Robinson suggested that the University should have provided counselors in a neighboring room to help students who felt “invalidated” or “traumatized” by the event.
“This is more than hurt feelings, this is about real violence. We know that the violence against marginalized groups happens every day in this country. That so many people walked out of that [event] feeling in literal physical danger is not alright,” Claire Matway, a social work and urban studies major, said.

Tim Nerozzi, the president of College Republicans and a junior at Pitt, said SGB did not pay Yiannopoulos to speak at Pitt but did fund his hotel and part of his travel expenses.

“I’m not here to rain on your parade. We put a trigger warning on our fliers for the event. We never claimed it would be a family friendly or a politically correct lecture,” Nerozzi said.
In response to student comments, Harun said, with teary eyes, said the best way to make an impact on campus was to begin conversations like this with the Board.

“We’re very sorry people are feeling the way they are and it was not intended … and we’re sorry people are not proud to be at Pitt.”
Milo Yiannopoulos ✘
‏@Nero
Reminder: everyone who hates me is ugly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o14WLGp95R8

11:19 AM - 3 Mar 2016

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Robinson suggested that the University should have provided counselors in a neighboring room to help students who felt “invalidated” or “traumatized” by the event.

:picard

It's just words coming from some douche. Sack up. This behavior validates Milo since he is only saying his bullshit to get a rise out of people. If people just laughed at Milo instead of feeling bad for themselves, he would have no power.
©ZH

benjipwns

Yeah, that was my favorite line.

It's like some kind of perfect storm of the worst university stereotypes happening. College Republicans invite conservative who goes out of his way to be "anti-PC" and try to offend people, various social justice groups protesting, getting thrown out and then talking about how they felt they were in danger and organizing a "safe space" event. University condemns all bad things, student council says "not our fault!"

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
I remember first listening to Milo on the Joe Rogan Podcast.

Dude is such a trip/troll.  :doge

A troll I don't agree with on most things but entertaining nonetheless.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 11:12:50 AM by Pallando »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Is he really dyeing his hair white? :gurl

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Meh. Milo is just a high profile /pol/ poster polishing his pundit resume.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
P-p-p-pundit, pundit, pundit. It's a fun word.
[close]

I wonder if he's tipping his hat to Geert Wilders with that one.

nachobro

• Live Más
Yeah first time I heard him was on Rogan too. Dude is a nutcase but good on him for riling folks up I guess

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
Him talking about his gayness being a way to get back at his mother got a good chuckle out of me.

Take My Breh Away

I remember first listening to Milo on the Joe Rogan Podcast.

Dude is such a trip/troll.  :doge

A troll I don't agree with on most things but entertaining nonetheless.

Professional shitposter has become a valid occupation

What a time to be alive.

Syph

:miyamoto
XO

Vertigo

This is light work trolling how he even raises the lowest of hackles with his stuff is hilarious.

But these cry babies keep giving him ammo for his agenda.  :lol

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider

he dresses like shit too. an abomination of a gay man tbh

Mandark

• Icon

I'm not even reading those block quotes, just gonna re-link to the Twitter thread where people roast Milo for his appearance in the above picture.

Cause it's amazing.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
(Image removed from quote.)

I'm not even reading those block quotes, just gonna re-link to the Twitter thread where people roast Milo for his appearance in the above picture.

Cause it's amazing.

:heh

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Is he the gay one or the Jew?
©@©™

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

Cause it's amazing.

https://twitter.com/LOLY2K/status/671392254163091458

"Hot to trot ‏@LOLY2K  30 Nov 2015
@Mobute when u tell the seamstress "just fuck me up fam""

Howling.

Take My Breh Away

Cause it's amazing.

Can't breathe

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
I have no respect for grown adults who cry about requiring a safe place because someone they dislike is on campus giving a speech they don't have to attend.

I have no respect for grown adults who cry about requiring a safe place because someone they dislike is on campus giving a speech they don't have to attend.

Are college students really grown adults yet? I don't think I would've classified myself as one.
野球

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

What really bothers me are the people, both in this incident and others, when they automatically jump to 'feeling in literal physical danger' cause they got their feelings hurt.  When I hear that shit I want to slap people.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Back in my day when you were out of high school you were an adult. You had your bills and responsibility over your self and your big girl panties. Now at days college has become the new high school. Instead of toughness and responsibility we get "muh feelings!" :snob
que

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider

What really bothers me are the people, both in this incident and others, when they automatically jump to 'feeling in literal physical danger' cause they got their feelings hurt.  When I hear that shit I want to slap people.

As administration expands, tuition grows and grows, and universities becomes more interested in their portfolios than the education they provide, students (and faculty tbh) have very few ways of championing their interests. Campus Safety is one area where they have been able to make gains, so naturally they utilize that as a framework for more or less everything. Higher Ed is a laughable shitshow, but it's not because of anything students do.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Someone forward this thread to Eel so he can get his ass unhurt.

eleuin

• perennial loser
These students governments can fuck off, can't believe they get paid a salary to cry about nothing

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
What the fuck happened to that fabulous gay pride shit about flaunting your happiness in the face of homophobes that actually want to kill you? I don't believe that most members of any minority group would feel threatened by someone with the physical and mental stature of Milo.

I refuse to believe it. This story is just sensationalizing a few attention-whores.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
I refuse to believe it. This story is just sensationalizing a few attention-whores.
A lot of shock and horror stories are that, especially where politics is concerned. "They said that!?", "They want to do what!? and so on when it's either just some crackpot or a rumour that bypasses poe's law, because it's them and they would do that, wouldn't they.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
And then Trump happened.  :doge
[close]

benjipwns

This is more than hurt feelings, this is about real violence. We know that the violence against marginalized groups happens every day in this country. That so many people walked out of that [event] feeling in literal physical danger is not alright.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
TBF, if any of my profs made attendance mandatory, I'd be protesting too.
©@©™

benjipwns

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Come get your boy(s), benji.   :ufup
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Yiannopoulos confirmed in an interview with BuzzFeed News that he has “about 44” interns — “a mix of paid and unpaid” — writing and conducting research for him.

:neogaf
dog

Syph

while that's embarrassing, his public appearances are all him, so I don't see it as that big of a problem
I guess my point is if he were completely a "figurehead" or something it would be plainly evident during his speeches, which it isn't
XO

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
while that's embarrassing, his public appearances are all him, so I don't see it as that big of a problem
I guess my point is if he were completely a "figurehead" or something it would be plainly evident during his speeches, which it isn't

From the article:

He also asks several workers to write a speech about feminism: “include (1) feminism attention seeking for ugly people (2) wage gap (3) campus rape culture… a load of mean jokes.”
dog

is there any way the government can unban my twitter account?

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
Yiannopoulos confirmed in an interview with BuzzFeed News that he has “about 44” interns — “a mix of paid and unpaid” — writing and conducting research for him.

:neogaf

WDW

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Keep in mind what day it is/close to.
Hi

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
Hump day!
dur

benjipwns