Author Topic: Xbox to allow Cross-Platform play  (Read 2774 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Xbox to allow Cross-Platform play
« on: March 14, 2016, 11:19:32 AM »
http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/14/letter-chris-charla-idxbox-updates-gdc/

Cross-Network Play
First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

Of course, it’s up to game developers to support this feature, and Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players. We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.
fat

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Re: Xbox to allow Cross-Platform play
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 11:20:48 AM »
Certainly a bold move after years of them not allowing it.

FF14 port soon? :lol

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 11:25:28 AM »
I am happy they have finally came out of their cave. Kudos Microsoft
YMMV

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 12:37:34 PM »
SQL support for Linux and XBL complete cross platform play as a policy in two weeks

:lawd

archnemesis

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 12:39:00 PM »
Great! More players online is a good thing.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 01:18:37 PM »
Have there been other games that have allows players from different consoles to play together?

And I wonder how this will work. Can an Xbox person directly invite a person from a PS4 or I assume it just means that if a person on a PS4 happens to be in a game it will work?
nat

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 01:19:10 PM »
Nice specifically for rocket league and multiplayer games between console versions. Should open up larger populations for mp games.

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 01:53:05 PM »
Have there been other games that have allows players from different consoles to play together?

And I wonder how this will work. Can an Xbox person directly invite a person from a PS4 or I assume it just means that if a person on a PS4 happens to be in a game it will work?

For MMOs at least, its all sever-side. You log in, pick your server of choice and take off, with the console/pc just being the interface to play the game. Once you're inside the game, it treats everyone equally no matter the platform. This is how FF XI and XIV work, though XIV is much more controller friendly.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 02:14:43 PM »
I think this is the start of MS transitioning away from consoles and into becoming a service platform due to their big defeat at the hands of Sony this gen.
^_^

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 02:20:32 PM »
I think this is the start of MS transitioning away from consoles and into becoming a service platform due to their big defeat at the hands of Sony this gen.

Nah, even with the L they are going to take this Gen they are still printing money bro.
YMMV

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 04:23:02 PM »
Is the Xbone factually taking an L to the PS4? Xbone has been awesome for me, and I'll never play on a console that uses the dual shock in any form again

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 04:24:24 PM »
Is the Xbone factually taking an L to the PS4? Xbone has been awesome for me, and I'll never play on a console that uses the dual shock in any form again

Yeah last I read it's nearly 2 to 1 active online users in PS4's favor.
YMMV

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 04:37:45 PM »
Cool, can't wait to play against Xbox One players on all those games I buy on the Windows Store

:comeon

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 04:58:00 PM »
This will be good for fighting games, I'm down. Well MK and Tekken anyway. Killer Instinct already had PC crossplay and I don't know of any other fighters coming out for X1.

thisismyusername

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 04:59:30 PM »

Yes. The X-box has been taking an L since the console reveal.

Cool, can't wait to play against Xbox One players on all those games I buy on the Windows Store

:comeon

We'll see. Rocket League is the true test of what they're going to do in regards to merging the three platforms together. There's no way they're going to get people to buy the PC version to just play PC players on the Windows store when nearly everyone has a Steam copy already.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 07:35:39 PM »
Hold on a sec i might have been too snarky, apparently you can cross play with PS4!?

thisismyusername

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 08:48:13 PM »
Nah, I got your snark. I'm just saying it doesn't apply in Rocket Leagues case because it's out there on Steam already. There's no way that's gonna be a "Windows Store" required. :lol

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 09:00:47 PM »
Nah, I got your snark. I'm just saying it doesn't apply in Rocket Leagues case because it's out there on Steam already. There's no way that's gonna be a "Windows Store" required. :lol

They clarified it all day you will never need a Windows store version and it's open to every title released or coming out on PC (Not just RL). Only XBL needed is on Xbone and they use Steam on PC. Valves on board already and Steam works with it. Ball's in Sony and Nintendo's court now.

archie4208

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 10:39:49 PM »

They clarified it all day you will never need a Windows store version and it's open to every title released or coming out on PC (Not just RL). Only XBL needed is on Xbone and they use Steam on PC. Valves on board already and Steam works with it. Ball's in Sony and Nintendo's court now.

Wouldn't Nintendo need multiplatform games in the first place?  :doge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 11:18:40 PM »
More players playing is a great thing, but what about cheaters? Doesn't this open up console players to the cheaterrific experience of PC master race aimbotting, etc.?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 11:27:27 PM »
More players playing is a great thing, but what about cheaters? Doesn't this open up console players to the cheaterrific experience of PC master race aimbotting, etc.?

For shooters it honestly doesn't even make sense to have PC versus consoles. So yeah I think you make a good point but I don't think most shooters will open it up like this. I guess there might be some version of cheating in Rocket League that I'm not aware of but I've never run across it yet.

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 03:27:50 AM »
The reality is that, unless it's a selling point for the game, we aren't gonna see very many devs actually making use of this. It's extra work and logistics that most bigger devs and pubs can just shrug off due to it not being like, a central default console feature. Great for cross-plat fighting games and MMOS, though I feel that even Elder Scrolls Online wouldn't have had Xbox / PS4 /PC cross play if it had been a thing back then.

...Plus there's still that bit about Xbone requiring Gold to even play F2P games and subscription MMOs. They should look into removing that first.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 06:43:44 AM »
The reality is that, unless it's a selling point for the game, we aren't gonna see very many devs actually making use of this. It's extra work and logistics that most bigger devs and pubs can just shrug off due to it not being like, a central default console feature. Great for cross-plat fighting games and MMOS, though I feel that even Elder Scrolls Online wouldn't have had Xbox / PS4 /PC cross play if it had been a thing back then.

...Plus there's still that bit about Xbone requiring Gold to even play F2P games and subscription MMOs. They should look into removing that first.

The Psyonix developers were posting on Reddit saying that it was fairly trivial and they had xbone/steam up fairly easily because of the tools MS gave them being decent. It's just a matter of Sony and Nintendo opening their networks. It's good news for any game that requires a solid player base online.

The catch really is that Microsoft's going to go hard in on making money off Sony and Nintendo over the next few years on top of their own platform as part of the company strategy like they did on Apple and Google (Hell they kicked Google in the dick in the Tablet market. Samsung's switching their flagship tablets to W10 and everyone else is following). They already own Minecraft and Havok Physics. Now they most likely want to start grafting money off other consoles online with the Azure virtual servers since to publishers, they would be cheaper than 24/7 physical dedicated servers as the charge is based on usage and Microsoft gets paid. Getting rid of cross play barriers would entice big publishers like EA and Ubi-Soft to start hosting games because "On Demand Virtual Dedicated Servers" are hella cheap compared to24/7 physical dedicated servers like EA uses for Battlefield because MS charges by usage. They only pay by the demand for the game. Say if Rainbow 6 Siege used them. Ubi would only be paying by the amount of players using the servers than a static cost for game servers. 

If Sony and Nintendo agree to cross play on the PS4 and NX for a game hosted on MS servers, most likely Titanfall 2 for example. MS makes money. If they refuse because MS is hosting the servers. They look like dicks and idiots going against their own PR turning down good servers because the opposition is making money off of them. MS is taking an L this generation, but it's a profitable L if only for the fact they are setting up for future generations.   

Oh and you are right. MS needs to drop gold for F2P and MMO's. That is still stupid but then they said they were going to talk more about the "Future" tomorrow at GDC and then at Build at the end of the month so god knows at this point.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 06:45:59 AM »
Hopefully this will mean cross platform play for PS4 and Xbox in many MP games.

A huge win for gaming in general if this could happen.

This artificial divide between Xbox and PS4 is hurting gaming a lot, especially people buying two platforms, all that money locked up in hardware instead of being available for software sales is stupid.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 06:56:54 AM »
Maybe there will be a community for NBA2k17 on PC now
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 09:35:16 AM »
Maybe there will be a community for NBA2k17 on PC now

Yeah that is a game that would really be helped by cross platform play.