Author Topic: New Kindle on the horizon  (Read 3050 times)

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
New Kindle on the horizon
« on: April 11, 2016, 11:24:00 AM »
It's that time of year everyone. Amazon is about to announce their new Kindles. Should be sometime this week officially however it appears to have leaked already:

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Click to reveal pics.

If it's authentic, they are completely revamping the design of the hardware. Now the device will have a slightly wider bezel on one side. It also seems that the width of the device is focused on that side as well, creating a completely different weight distribution.  The device can be flipped so the bigger bezel can be on either side, based on which hand you prefer.

It's interesting and I get why they're doing it. Holding a Kindle right now bu the bezel can sometimes feel unbalanced since you don't have a lot of space to hold on to on the bezel. Giving it a little more bezel and having the weight be focused on one side means the device don't pull against your hand as much.

I just got a Voyage recently so I probably won't get this.... probably. But if that's the direction the design is going I'm pretty exciting to give it a try.
nat

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
Re: New Kindle on the horizon
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 11:30:36 AM »

:kobeyuck
 :kobeyuck  :kobeyuck  :kobeyuck  :kobeyuck
YMMV

Fifstar

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 11:45:53 AM »
Wake me up when i can get books from my library with a kindle.
Gulp

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 11:59:53 AM »
Wake me up when i can get books from my library with a kindle.

That's already a thing:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=200747550
nat

Fifstar

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 01:15:11 PM »
Not in germany though, and  it would not be a problem if they offered other formats, as libraries here have been supporting epub for a long time (fwiw, I already have a paperwhite and it's collecting dust because the german bookmarket is regulated in such a way that digital books are basically the same as price as normal books).
Gulp

Yulwei

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 02:51:21 PM »
I bought the newest paper white but it's gone unused since I started reading on my phone...

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 02:52:24 PM »
I bought the newest paper white but it's gone unused since I started reading on my phone...

Same. It sure seems like Kindle had it's window and now it's in that blackberry mode of cling to our 500,000 remaining clueless users.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 02:55:13 PM »
e-readers are clumsy compared to smartphones but the fact is the e-ink is pretty damn nice and worthwhile for extended reading

just admit you're not a real reader brehs

I just read the steve jobs autobiography on my I-Phone 6 breh   :umad
YMMV

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 03:05:16 PM »
Reading on a phone.  :doge :doge :doge :doge

We're finding out who the real plebs are in this thread.
©@©™

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 03:12:22 PM »
lol reading on a phone or tablet  :trash

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 03:43:48 PM »
Haha yeah I would say the struggle ranking goes:

Book = Kindle > Tablet > Phone >>>>>>> Laptop

nat

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 03:52:54 PM »
I still see no need of getting rid of mine which is the keyboard one that's like the 3rd revision or whatever.

It does the job  :yeshrug

Tasty

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 04:05:19 PM »
I might actually get this. I hate Amazon's ecosystem but they're the only ones trying.

My reservation up until now has been there's like a billion Kindle models with 3G or Wi-Fi or offers or no offers or 300 ppi or 180 ppi or a light up screen or no light up screen or 8" or 10.1" or...

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 04:14:56 PM »
I might actually get this. I hate Amazon's ecosystem but they're the only ones trying.

My reservation up until now has been there's like a billion Kindle models with 3G or Wi-Fi or offers or no offers or 300 ppi or 180 ppi or a light up screen or no light up screen or 8" or 10.1" or...

This will probably replace the Voyage as the high-end model which will run you 200 bucks. The Paperwhite rev from 2013 is still the go-to for most, being only 120.
nat

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 04:44:03 PM »

Yeah, any asshole who spends 200 bucks on a device that is only used to read books. Good call.
YMMV

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 06:20:51 PM »
still using a nook simple touch here

ill probably upgrade once someone figures out color e-ink
萌え~

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 07:08:40 PM »
Gonna actually side with AiA on this one, I read basically everything on my phone. I'm posting from my phone right now.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 10:53:44 PM »
What are the ideal conditions where an e-reader can shine? Paperbacks are more enjoyable to read, just as portable (if not moreso), and you don't have to worry as much about them getting damaged. The only time I can think where I would choose an e-reader over a paperback is if there were a power outage late at night, I would prefer to read the lit up screen of an e-reader over reading a paperback with a flashlight.
WDW

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 12:35:32 AM »
At least there's a flux type night viewing setting on iOS now for late night reading.

Still can't see why I'd update my paperwhite tho
itm

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 12:55:55 AM »
At least there's a flux type night viewing setting on iOS now for late night reading.

Still can't see why I'd update my paperwhite tho

Didn’t know about this! I need to update my phone.

Fifstar

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 02:50:50 AM »
What are the ideal conditions where an e-reader can shine? Paperbacks are more enjoyable to read, just as portable (if not moreso), and you don't have to worry as much about them getting damaged. The only time I can think where I would choose an e-reader over a paperback is if there were a power outage late at night, I would prefer to read the lit up screen of an e-reader over reading a paperback with a flashlight.

Disagree on portability. Any paperback with more than 500 pages is larger than a kindle. When you go on vacation and want to read a couple books, they take up a lot more space. Also depending on your reading position, an E-Reader can be more comfortable, for example when you're laying on your side. Also, power outage aside, a backlit e-reader is nice when you're laying next to your partner who wants to sleep, as the e-reader luminates the room very little (much less than a Smartphone as well).

Still prefer a paperback in most situations, might be purely psychological though.
Gulp

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 09:42:17 AM »

I love reading but dislike the actual act of reading a book. I've always found books to be awkward and annoying to hold. Like, when you're reading and one side of the book is angled weird because the other side still has all the pages so you have to bend the spine or tilt you head awkwardly to see words on the inside. Plus paper dries out my fingers and I always wind up licking my fingers a lot when I read.

So having a compact little square with a screen that is perfectly flat, always easy to read, holds all my books, has a built in light, allows me to connect to social media sites (GoodReads has found me a few books to read) and I can buy books instantly from the device. It's a no-brainer. I'll opt for the e-book every time. Plus I just like technology and I find the device to be a great piece of technology.

But that's just me. I know not everyone cares about the things as much. :yeshrug
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 09:47:58 AM by fistfulofmetal »
nat

Tasty

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 10:22:56 AM »
Or you could do Audio Books.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 10:09:47 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010EK1GOE/ref=fs_row_wy

It's legit.

And it's 300 bucks.

wtf. Yeah, no thanks. I expected it was going to at least replace the Voyage as the 200 model, but that's too much.
nat

Tasty

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 10:34:34 AM »
What the fuuuuck :lol

Tasty

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 10:58:47 AM »
Butt storage :noah :letsfukk

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2016, 10:59:32 AM »
300 dollar underpowered tablets :hitler
YMMV

Tasty

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 11:21:54 AM »
this new Kindle is so bad it makes AiA look like he has a good point

think about that

:dead

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 11:22:48 AM »
From everything I'm reading it's great device. Just too expensive.
nat

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2016, 11:49:07 AM »
this new Kindle is so bad it makes AiA look like he has a good point

think about that

:heh

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2016, 11:50:34 AM »
Not in germany though, and  it would not be a problem if they offered other formats, as libraries here have been supporting epub for a long time (fwiw, I already have a paperwhite and it's collecting dust because the german bookmarket is regulated in such a way that digital books are basically the same as price as normal books).

Hell, you now can't put their .mobi file format into the Windows reading app. Which pisses me off because it worked until they removed the Windows 7 application to make Windows 8-10's metro-like app the only way to read Kindle books on PC.

Butt storage :noah :letsfukk

This cloud-to-butt extension really gets me into Andy's mind.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2016, 01:48:36 PM »
Is this supposed to make the Voyage look like a good deal?

Cuz it's working :lawd
©@©™

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2016, 02:40:24 PM »
Jesus what are they thinking?
rub

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2016, 05:51:49 PM »

Yeah, any asshole who spends 200 bucks on a device that is only used to read books. Good call.
What about $100 or so on a device which holds hundreds of books with the physical space of less than one book?

Tasty

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2016, 11:57:30 AM »
http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/22/11993868/amazon-kindle-e-reader-redesign-white-paperwhite

New Kindle is $80 and comes in white.

The $120 Kindle Paperwhite is available in white now too.

I guess the line is:

Kindle - $80
Kindle Paperwhite - $120
Kindle Voyage - $200
Kindle Oasis - $290

Maybe? ??? Amazon's product lineup is confusing af.

Tasty

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2016, 11:59:14 AM »

Seems like the Paperwhite is still by far the best option. Same screen size and PPI as the the Voyage and Oasis, plus LEDs for reading in the dark which the base model lacks.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2021, 03:39:01 PM »
Amazon is giving the Kindle Paperwhite its first major update since 2018, the company announced today. The new Paperwhite lineup includes two different hardware models, plus a separate Paperwhite Kids edition that comes with its own case, has ads turned off by default, and includes a one-year subscription to the Amazon Kids+ service and a two-year "worry-free guarantee" warranty. The new Kindles can be preordered starting today and ship on October 27.

The basic Paperwhite is still probably the best combination of features and price. For $140 ($10 more than the last-generation version), you get a larger 6.8-inch screen with slimmer bezels than the old Paperwhite, plus a faster processor that delivers "20% faster page turns" than the old model. The number of LEDs used for the Paperwhite's front light has increased from five to 17, which should make the lighting look smoother and more uniform. Like the Kindle Oasis, the new Paperwhite has a "warm light" option that can make the Kindle's backlight warmer if you don't like the default bluish light.

Amazon also promises improved battery life for the new Paperwhite, but when you do need to charge it, you can finally do it using a USB-C charger rather than the increasingly outdated micro-USB port on older Kindles. Like the previous Paperwhite, the new model has an IPx8 waterproofing rating, 8GB of storage, an antiglare coating, and buttonless bezels that sit flush with the device's screen.

The 2018 Paperwhite also came in a $160 32GB version with no other upgrades, but this year that model is being replaced by the Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition. At $190, the Signature Edition is more pricey, but it adds an auto-brightness sensor and Qi wireless charging, making it an interesting alternative to the $250 Kindle Oasis if you don't care about that model's more streamlined design and physical buttons.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/09/amazon-announces-new-kindle-paperwhite-lineup-with-6-8-inch-screens-usb-c/

USB C
 :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice
:O

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2021, 03:44:12 PM »
Nice. I still have my Kindle 3G, but the battery is almost dead. Have been considering updating for a while now.

Edit: There are some extremely distinguished mentally-challenged takes in this thread from 2016.
 :shaq2
Spud

archnemesis

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2021, 01:51:25 AM »
I've been postponing a purchase for at least a decade. I'll pick up one of the new models.

NekoFever

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2021, 03:04:04 AM »
There are some extremely distinguished mentally-challenged takes in this thread from 2016.
 :shaq2
The biggest is Amazon claiming the Oasis has the best battery life. That’s a complete lie  :lol