Author Topic: Civilization VI - Districts and Dictators  (Read 31368 times)

Eschaton

Civilization VI - Districts and Dictators
« on: May 11, 2016, 11:07:09 AM »
Release date: October 21

About This Game
Originally created by legendary game designer Sid Meier, Civilization is a turn-based strategy game in which you attempt to build an empire to stand the test of time. Become Ruler of the World by establishing and leading a civilization from the Stone Age to the Information Age. Wage war, conduct diplomacy, advance your culture, and go head-to-head with history’s greatest leaders as you attempt to build the greatest civilization the world has ever known.

Civilization VI offers new ways to engage with your world: cities now physically expand across the map, active research in technology and culture unlocks new potential, and competing leaders will pursue their own agendas based on their historical traits as you race for one of five ways to achieve victory in the game.

EXPANSIVE EMPIRES:
See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain.

ACTIVE RESEARCH:
Unlock boosts that speed your civilization’s progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures.

DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY:
Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations.

COMBINED ARMS:
Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.

ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER:
In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session.

A CIV FOR ALL PLAYERS:
Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems introduce new players to the underlying concepts so they can easily get started.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 09:30:16 AM by Esch »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Civilization VI
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 11:07:58 AM »
endorsing this thread over mine

archie4208

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 11:24:00 AM »

archie4208

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 11:28:24 AM »
I bought BE day 1 and got halfway through a game before I was bored.  :fbm

I hear the expansion helped things, but it's still not that great.  I don't want to risk $30 to find out though lel.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 11:31:03 AM »
Firaxis kind of fell off with me with Civ Rev 2 :(

Tasty

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 11:43:05 AM »
Wake me up when the second expansion is out, game will be barebones shite until then.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I still plat BE every couple weeks and haven't even bought the Rising Tide yet.  :-[
[close]

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 11:51:50 AM »
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/05/11/civilization-vi-coming-october-21-big-changes-to-core-gameplay.aspx
“We want players to adjust and think on their feet in Civ VI. We didn’t want there to be a standard playbook or recipe on how to get through it, from tech tree to policy,” Beach adds. “We always saw discussions about dominant strategies, like, 'Get the Great Library and go into these policy trees and build this way.' We built a game with so many options, but so much of the community is playing it this same way with the same pattern, and we want to shake that up and adjust to the map and leaders they are faced with to come up with other solutions, to rethink their strategic approaches every time they play the game.”

The team laid out the plan for three key core mechanics changes that will drive more dynamic gameplay in Civilization VI.

The first is “unstacking the cities. With cities getting filled with all kinds of buildings, wonders, and other things over time, the gameplay is changing by moving some of these buildings out onto the map. This concept is called districts, and these are pieces of your city that would traditionally be nested inside your city being pushed out up to three tiles away.

“For instance, let’s take the science district,” Beach says. “This is a prerequisite to building science buildings. What’s going to happen is that the exact tile you choose to place that district will be an important decision, as scientists will work better in different tiles. So tiles with more lifeforms like rain forests or something on a mountain to observe the stars would be more valuable. We have 12 different kinds of districts you can place around your city. They require a certain amount of population, so you are going to have to make choices about what kind of districts to build based on what resources you have available.”

The second is the active research system. This will change up the way players approach the tech tree by offering massive bonuses toward specific research based on other variables in the game, pushing players away from going into a game with a set path of tech that they always progress down for the optimal game build. Players can still research whatever they like, but a new boost system will likely change your progression path from game to game.

“Let’s take masonry. In order to do masonry well you need the type of materials to put together for walls or pyramids or whatever,” Beach says. “So if you’re in the middle of a grassland and there’s no stone around, it’s going to be tough for you to be really good at masonry. So if you can find a resource like that, like a quarry, as soon as it’s up and operational, we unlock a boost toward masonry, which will give you 50 percent of the cost for that technology. Similarly, this will work for say maritime technology for setting up on the coast. If you’re on the coast putting in the time on those areas, you’re now getting bonuses for those technologies. That part of the tech tree will naturally unlock for you as a result of the boost.”

“A lot of it is based on the map and what’s around you,” Darney says. “So it changes each game.”

Third is diplomacy, a constant hot topic in the Civilization series. A big focus here is how the A.I. will react and relate to the player. The leaders in Civilization VI will play differently based on their own personalities and not just based on how the player interacts with them – they have their own specific agendas.

“Every leader is assigned one historical agenda based on something they did while ruling their nation in actual history,” Beach explains. “Let’s take a leader who built a whole bunch of wonders. In our universe, that leader is going to feel like he’s better than anyone else in world history at building wonders, and that should be reflected every time they are in a Civilization game. Wonder obsessed. So that civilization will get a bonus toward building wonders, but they also get an obsessive personality where he will get angry if anyone else is building more wonders than they are. So you might have a strategy where you always go for Stonehenge and Hanging Gardens so you grab those right away. If this guy is next to you and he sees you doing this, he’s going to be up in arms and invading your borders."

Leaders will also have a hidden agenda that will be assigned to them that will change from game to game, so even if you know the opposing leader's core personality, you have to discover additional, dynamic traits if you want your political agendas to progress smoothly.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 12:01:12 PM by benjipwns »

Tasty

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 12:04:48 PM »
Really sucks that I vastly prefer scifi settings to boring old history in my strategy games. :'(

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 12:23:52 PM »
Oh god no.
This must be what recovering meth addicts feel like when their dealer comes back to town.
que

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 12:28:54 PM »
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/05/11/civilization-vi-coming-october-21-big-changes-to-core-gameplay.aspx
“We want players to adjust and think on their feet in Civ VI. We didn’t want there to be a standard playbook or recipe on how to get through it, from tech tree to policy,” Beach adds. “We always saw discussions about dominant strategies, like, 'Get the Great Library and go into these policy trees and build this way.' We built a game with so many options, but so much of the community is playing it this same way with the same pattern, and we want to shake that up and adjust to the map and leaders they are faced with to come up with other solutions, to rethink their strategic approaches every time they play the game.”

The team laid out the plan for three key core mechanics changes that will drive more dynamic gameplay in Civilization VI.

The first is “unstacking the cities. With cities getting filled with all kinds of buildings, wonders, and other things over time, the gameplay is changing by moving some of these buildings out onto the map. This concept is called districts, and these are pieces of your city that would traditionally be nested inside your city being pushed out up to three tiles away.

“For instance, let’s take the science district,” Beach says. “This is a prerequisite to building science buildings. What’s going to happen is that the exact tile you choose to place that district will be an important decision, as scientists will work better in different tiles. So tiles with more lifeforms like rain forests or something on a mountain to observe the stars would be more valuable. We have 12 different kinds of districts you can place around your city. They require a certain amount of population, so you are going to have to make choices about what kind of districts to build based on what resources you have available.”

The second is the active research system. This will change up the way players approach the tech tree by offering massive bonuses toward specific research based on other variables in the game, pushing players away from going into a game with a set path of tech that they always progress down for the optimal game build. Players can still research whatever they like, but a new boost system will likely change your progression path from game to game.

“Let’s take masonry. In order to do masonry well you need the type of materials to put together for walls or pyramids or whatever,” Beach says. “So if you’re in the middle of a grassland and there’s no stone around, it’s going to be tough for you to be really good at masonry. So if you can find a resource like that, like a quarry, as soon as it’s up and operational, we unlock a boost toward masonry, which will give you 50 percent of the cost for that technology. Similarly, this will work for say maritime technology for setting up on the coast. If you’re on the coast putting in the time on those areas, you’re now getting bonuses for those technologies. That part of the tech tree will naturally unlock for you as a result of the boost.”

“A lot of it is based on the map and what’s around you,” Darney says. “So it changes each game.”

Third is diplomacy, a constant hot topic in the Civilization series. A big focus here is how the A.I. will react and relate to the player. The leaders in Civilization VI will play differently based on their own personalities and not just based on how the player interacts with them – they have their own specific agendas.

“Every leader is assigned one historical agenda based on something they did while ruling their nation in actual history,” Beach explains. “Let’s take a leader who built a whole bunch of wonders. In our universe, that leader is going to feel like he’s better than anyone else in world history at building wonders, and that should be reflected every time they are in a Civilization game. Wonder obsessed. So that civilization will get a bonus toward building wonders, but they also get an obsessive personality where he will get angry if anyone else is building more wonders than they are. So you might have a strategy where you always go for Stonehenge and Hanging Gardens so you grab those right away. If this guy is next to you and he sees you doing this, he’s going to be up in arms and invading your borders."

Leaders will also have a hidden agenda that will be assigned to them that will change from game to game, so even if you know the opposing leader's core personality, you have to discover additional, dynamic traits if you want your political agendas to progress smoothly.
This sounds awesome. 

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 12:50:40 PM »
©ZH

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 01:02:30 PM »
OMG OMG OMG hyped

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 01:20:14 PM »
The most exciting thing to me is that this will most likely be built for good multi-core support.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 01:52:07 PM »
Visual style is kinda off-putting. It looks like Civ Revolution.
serge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 01:53:06 PM »
Meh, I care about civ graphics for all of 2 seconds

TVC15

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 01:57:48 PM »
They need to invest in the Aesthetics technology. There's no excuse for having bad art.
serge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 02:16:38 PM »
They need to invest in the Aesthetics technology. There's no excuse for having bad art.

Aesthetics is a policy 

TVC15

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 02:20:27 PM »
Clearly not in this version. It looks terrible. It looks like a Tiny Toons episode with sub-Asian animation.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 02:21:08 PM »
I'd rather watch Patch Adams than look at this game.
serge

Rahxephon91

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 03:11:24 PM »
I just hope it runs on my crappy computer. Super excited about the diplomacy stuff.

Tasty

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 03:51:10 PM »
Second BE expansion when...? :'(

TVC15

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 03:55:43 PM »
Second BE expansion when...? :'( (Image removed from quote.)

waste of resources and everyone's time

It never shaped up?
serge

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 05:45:51 PM »
This is the best sort of surprise
itm

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 08:10:21 PM »
have to say my initial reaction to the screenshots mirrored tvc's

who cares about aesthetics when the sex feels this good tho
AMC

TVC15

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 12:25:29 AM »
who cares about aesthetics when the sex feels this good tho

Have fun fucking Edith Massey's video game equivalent.
serge

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 01:25:10 AM »

...This is a bad thing? Civ Rev 1 was great. Sure, it wasn't as deep as the PC Civilizations but as far as what they were going for it worked amazingly. You're not coming to Civ for melt-your-PC graphics, anyway.

TVC15

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 10:47:11 AM »

...This is a bad thing? Civ Rev 1 was great. Sure, it wasn't as deep as the PC Civilizations but as far as what they were going for it worked amazingly. You're not coming to Civ for melt-your-PC graphics, anyway.

I liked Civ Rev, but it had an awful art style, like this. I'm not expecting melt-your-PC graphics. I'm expecting an appealing art style. This looks vaguely like something they've tried in the past, and I didn't particularly like it then, although I understood that they needed something with more "personality" than usual because they were targeting console mouth-breathers.
serge

Fifstar

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2016, 10:50:09 AM »
Looks like a cross between Warcraft 3 (Barf) and Age of Empires.
Gulp

TVC15

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2016, 10:53:21 AM »
Looks like a cross between Warcraft 3 (Barf) and Age of Empires.

Yeah, I thought of that f2p (right) AoE game.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 01:42:41 PM »
Based on my recent readings of various anti-civilization writers, I think someone should make a game called Anti-Civilization.

It's loosely based on a premise I read in an old issue of Fifth Estate. Basically, some anarcho-primitivist writer said that for whatever variety of hunter-gather society he advocated for, the US (or maybe the North American continent) continent could only support a population of ~1/3rd of what it was currently at.

So, my premise for Anti-Civilization is that it is the modern day, with the political climate being roughly what it is today. You have just been elected president. How do you use your 8 years in office to reduce the US population by roughly 200 million? Of course, your anti-civilization agenda needs to be kept as secret as possible. Because this needs to be a strategy game on par with Civilization, you have to take into account things like body disposal and the ecological viability of your depopulation strategies (for example, you can only dump so many dead bodies into the ocean before you affect the ecosystem in negative ways, and using poison gas to kill hundreds of millions isn't going to score you points for mother Earth).

I think there's also the possibility to introduce an international element, but I'd have to rethink parts of the basic premise. I like the idea of the US and China teaming up to kill off large portions of their own populations under the guise of a false war, but that would end up involving far more conspirators, and I'd have to conceive of ways to incorporate national and international obfuscation into the game.

You could invest in various population control technologies, like converting cattle slaughterhouses to handle humans. ~30 million cattle a year are killed in the US for food. How many of those cattle killing resources can you use while still keeping the rate of cow slaughter high enough to feed the docile, clueless, surviving populace? You can invest in advanced nuclear weapons technologies (like that 100 megaton bomb the Soviets never built) to level cities in false flag operations designed to convince the public into acceptance of martial law, thus allowing you access to more overt actions that would normally appear suspicious.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:58:00 PM by TVC 15 »
serge

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2016, 01:59:05 PM »
Oh god no.
This must be what recovering meth addicts feel like when their dealer comes back to town.

I told my wife I was done :'(

archie4208

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2016, 05:15:43 PM »
:bow Builders and traders :bow2

:piss workers :piss2

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2016, 08:06:27 AM »
http://www.pcgamer.com/new-looks-and-classic-gameplay-60-turns-of-civilization-6/

i found this interesting

"One thing I think is the best for people who love to min-max, is as a culture player you no longer have to worry about that small [city]. With local happiness you can go as wide as you want. You can build that crappy little city up in the tundra just to get that iron, and they're going to be kind of unhappy, they're going to be displeased, but you can do that because it's not going to affect your entire empire, it's just going to be that city that's unhappy."

:ohhh
Finally!  I'll have my own fucking Alaska!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2016, 08:20:07 AM »
Ummm I think you mean I can own fucking Alaska and you can have death.  The world will be mine come the fall.   

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2016, 07:58:59 AM »
YOU AND NAMI ARE GOING DOWN

TVC15

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2016, 08:39:03 PM »
I really liked my idea for an anti-civilization/depopulation game :( I'm bummed no one else did. I've been thinking about it a lot, and have come up with more potential mechanics ideas. I think it could actually be a neat game, and it would be pretty original, too.
serge

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2016, 01:30:56 AM »

idk how i feel about what we've seen visually

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2016, 11:40:32 AM »
Looks great gameplay wise.  Don't care about graphics stuff though that fog of war is hot hot hot. 

archnemesis

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2016, 01:33:39 PM »
I really like the new art style. It's really clean and everything is easy to identify.

Tasty

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2016, 02:55:53 PM »
So we can kill the narrator?

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2016, 03:46:51 PM »
alright I'm back in

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2016, 12:59:20 AM »
Amazing 10/10

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2016, 06:36:17 PM »

interesting religious makeup of Washington

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2016, 11:52:47 PM »
kinda disappointed we haven't seen any new civs yet. 

pilonv1

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2016, 05:59:30 AM »
New Civ!

Also Quill plays 100 turns

itm

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2016, 05:36:00 PM »
damn she sounds OP.  Nerf plz.   

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2016, 06:02:51 PM »
OMG those river deltas, so sexy

archie4208

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2016, 06:04:00 PM »

Can't wait for that Abraham Lincoln DLC.  :lawd

pilonv1

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2016, 03:51:38 AM »
Abe v Teddy nuke fight to the death in Civ 6 :heart

Would be great if they re-released old leaders and Civs as DLC.
itm

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2016, 09:59:35 AM »
Every time I see an update to this thread it's like I hear an omininous boom and voice saying "Remember, very shortly 6 weeks of your life are going to disappear"
que

archie4208

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2016, 10:55:14 AM »
>Start playing at 9 PM
>Look at clock
>3 AM

Happened to me in Civ 5 more times than I care to admit. 

pilonv1

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2016, 05:08:08 AM »
>Start playing at 9 PM
>Look at clock
>3 AM

Happened to me in Civ 5 more times than I care to admit. 

>Work at 8:30am :fbm
itm

pilonv1

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2016, 09:04:53 AM »

Norway sounds super OP
itm

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2016, 09:22:57 AM »
Boom. Six weeks gonna be gone.
que

Tasty

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2016, 01:42:20 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2016, 04:45:59 PM »
When I saw Norway that was the first thing I thought.  Then again with my Norwegian heritage and given how much the danes sucked in 5 I'm OK with this.

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2016, 02:05:46 PM »
Norway looks fun af. I love naval Civ.

archie4208

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2016, 01:55:48 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2016, 12:38:38 PM »

rome sounds really fun