Author Topic: Civilization VI - Districts and Dictators  (Read 31365 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Civilization VI - Districts and Dictators
« Reply #180 on: January 03, 2017, 09:48:22 AM »
man, there is such a fine line between having enough cities/districts and no chance at any victory you can see what feels like a hundred turns in advance compared to earlier civ games

especially if you get landblocked early on

wouldn't mind a little tweaking with the wonders/districts and where you could place them being slightly more flexible, don't really need more neighborhoods but ruhr valley would fit real nicely there

benjipwns

« Reply #181 on: January 03, 2017, 09:53:09 AM »
also, i'm pretty sure there's only one correct path of governments just like in civ ii and civ iv unless you're really doing something specific

pls don't fix, it'd be even numbered civ tradition!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
odd numbered civ tradition is that you always go for communism cuz it op :usacry
[close]

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #182 on: January 03, 2017, 08:31:40 PM »
man, there is such a fine line between having enough cities/districts and no chance at any victory you can see what feels like a hundred turns in advance compared to earlier civ games

especially if you get landblocked early on

I've found in each of my games I've been missing at least one key resource if not two in my immediate surroundings. Once they start forward settling on you it's very difficult to not piss everyone off.

also, i'm pretty sure there's only one correct path of governments just like in civ ii and civ iv unless you're really doing something specific

Do you mean Merchant Republic? I've never changed out of it once I unlock it yet.
itm

benjipwns

« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2017, 10:35:43 PM »
Merchant Republic :rejoice

Though I often do move on to Democracy for the extra slots. Classical Republic -> Merchant Republic -> Democracy.

pilonv1

« Reply #184 on: January 05, 2017, 07:11:12 AM »
I don't find the extra slots makes up for the +2 traders. Just seems sub-optimal since most of the cards by that point are situational
itm

benjipwns

« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2017, 08:36:34 AM »
"Are you such a coward, to avoid bloodshed? To yield so easily? Where is your honor?"

Lady, like five turns ago you asked me for a peace treaty (regarding a surprise war you started) because I chewed up half your territory, probably all of your army and had ships bombarding your last two cities. Then every fucker in the world denounced me for being a warmonger!!!!

benjipwns

« Reply #186 on: January 21, 2017, 12:28:46 AM »
Aztecs now available to everyone, they were a temporary preorder exclusive IIRC.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #187 on: January 23, 2017, 01:55:17 PM »
Religion as a weapon.  :ohhh

I'm doing more spiritual warfare than actual warfare.
©ZH

benjipwns

« Reply #188 on: January 23, 2017, 10:28:33 PM »
There needs to be a real overhaul of those leader trait-goals and how they change their opinion of you. One dude gets mad I don't have enough wonders, while two others get mad that I'm building wonders. Then somebody praises me for having lots of gold, and another admonishes me for having any gold at all. Almost all of it is either getting mad or happy over you doing things essential to playing the game. And it seems like it's constantly swinging to the extremes instead of subtly decaying/improving your relations. (Maybe I should install the mod that shows the number values to see. I remember V had some really weird ones that seemed to be just to stop you from charming everyone easily.)

The only one that somewhat makes sense are the religious ones.

Or at least put some kind of cap or slow what leads to them denouncing me. I swear you can't get through the late game without at least half of them denouncing you. DENOUNCES YOU FOR HAVING MORE CULTURE! Like, sorry, that's on you buddy. How about being in awe instead?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2017, 10:24:01 PM »
Sooooo I'm in the mood for a Civ game and I'm trying to decide between V complete and VI.  Which should I get for the best experience and most balanced gampelay right now?

benjipwns

« Reply #190 on: February 04, 2017, 02:02:37 AM »
V Complete, if only because you can get it for like $12 pretty often: http://www.dlgamer.us/download-civilization_5_the_complete-pc_games-p-22569.html

Plus V has Workshop support for the mods.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #191 on: February 04, 2017, 09:27:37 AM »
Holy shit. Bought. I'd seen past deals on slick deals for $12.50 but they were dead and CAG showed the lowest price as $40.

Thanks! Flights are going to be so much better now

benjipwns

« Reply #192 on: February 23, 2017, 09:40:54 PM »
Update! WORKSHOP!

Multiplayer teams and mod tools have been two of the community’s most-requested features, and we’re happy to bring them to Civilization VI. Steam Workshop will allow you to browse, add, and subscribe to mods more easily, and the other tools will make it easier for artists and modders to change the game. And in multiplayer you can team up with your friends to conquer the world together against AI or human opponents.

There are also balance changes and bug fixes in this update, ranging from trade routes to ice caps, obsolete units to AI upgrades. Please check out the complete list of changes below:

[NEW]
TEAMS:
Multiplayer Teams have been added to Civilization VI and this feature builds on updates to the Alliance agreement. Players on teams gain additional benefits (beyond those of an alliance), as follows:
When one teammate finishes research on a tech or civic, their teammate(s) receive a boost for that tech or civic.
Teammates share war status against opponents not on their team.
Teammates share allied status with opponents not on their team.
Teammates work together to win or lose the game as a single entity.  The Religion and Culture Victories have been reworked so they are more cooperative.
The Religion Victory requires you to convert all civs to ONE of the religions started by your team.
The Culture Victory requires ONE member of your team to be culturally dominant over all players NOT on your team.
MODDING TOOLS
Updated lobby and in-game UI to better show Additional Content details.
Added Sid Meier’s Civilization VI Development Tools, which includes ModBuddy, Tools, FireTuner, and the Steam Workshop Uploader.
ModBuddy: A packaging and development tool.
Art/Asset Tools: Import FBX files into a format usable by the game, as well as customize existing art.
FireTuner: In-game debugging and editing tool.
Added Sid Meier’s Civiliation VI Development Assets, which includes the game art assets. This is a large download (approximately 7GB compressed download and 27GB on disk) which contains game assets, including models, textures, and interface elements.
STEAM WORKSHOP
Access mods created by the Steam community via Steam Workshop
Share your mods with the Steam community with the Steam Workshop uploader.

ModBuddy will also receive additional updates in the future, as part of a modding SDK update later. These tools do not include DLL source for Civilization VI at this time.

[MISC]
Added True Start Location feature, where civs start on the world map at their geographic origin.
Added a City-State slider to game setup.

[BALANCE CHANGES]
Start position and map generation has been tuned.
Updated ice generation to allow more for circumnavigation.
Commercial Hub and Harbor both provide +1 Trade Route capacity, but only the first one applies (used to stack for +2 capacity total).
Units that are embarked now use an era-based strength value instead of their base combat value.
Many of the techs that reveal strategic resources have been changed to reveal the resource before it is needed to build a resource-dependent unit.
Players can now build obsoleted units if they do not have access to the strategic resource required by the upgrade unit.
Tech Tree balance. Adding several prerequisites to address paths through the tree that were too quick and led to era transitions too early.
Horseback Riding now requires Archery. Archery is no longer a leaf tech.
Stirrups is now in the late Medieval era and costs 390 (was early Medieval and cost 300).
Industrialization now requires Square Rigging.
Scientific Theory now requires Banking.
Steel now requires Rifling.
Computers now requires Radio.
Updated the cost and strength of some Air units.
Change movement rules after disembarkation.  Cannot land on shore with more movement than your Land Movement allowance.
Updated Vikings Scenario to 60 turns.

[AI TUNING]
Increased desire and ability to use nukes and aircraft, and maintain a standing military. General AI attack improvements.
Increased desire to declare friendship.
Reduced frequency of “your troops are on my border“ warning.
Updated settlement preferences.
Barbarians now rampage when their camp is destroyed.
Will now liberate minor civs and cities of current allies.
Tuned strategic and luxury resource trading.
Will now be more aware of gold income, and work to bring in more.
Support units will recognize that they are not under threat if they share a hex with a friendly unit.
Added a grace period of 2 turns after the end of open borders before the AI starts complaining you're too close to their territory.
Barbarians may now pillage tiles to heal.
AI will now continue to research repeatable techs and civics.

[BUG FIXES]
Kongo relics no longer get multiplied Faith yields if more than one is in the same building
Fixed some bugs with Great People not interacting correctly with Vikings natural wonders.
Sumeria will no longer share joint war experience with a player when killing barbarians.
Corrected tourism calculation from National Parks to ensure correct awarding.
Fixed an issue where you could sometimes not offer Joint War.
Spies will not have the Steal Tech mission available when you have already completed all techs.
City States gain territory for influence even if they get the influence before founding their city.
When a player is destroyed, his captured spies die with him.
All of your active spy missions stop in a city that you or an ally has just captured.
Fixed problem in tactical combat that was preventing units from capturing builders
You are no longer allowed to declare war on declared friends (or in an enforced peace period) from the "troops near me" warning.
Increased Jet Fighter and Jet Bomber sight range (up from 2 to 5).
Additional bug fixes.

[VISUALS]
Added snow environmental VFX.
Added sand environmental VFX.

[MULTIPLAYER]
Added “Turn Unready” button.

[UI]
Added more bindable keys (Toggle Resource Icons, Toggle Tourism Lens, Alert action).
Added a notification for when a player loses territory to a culture bomb.

[AUDIO]
Adding some missing UI sounds.
VIKINGS DLC:
Added VO, and updated quotes, for three Natural Wonders.
Added VO to Natural Wonders while in the scenario.

[MISC]
Credits updated.
Fixed some missing ARX images.
Updating game concepts for City-States, Trade Routes, and Great People. Explained some things that were not there before (ex. Patronage, gold income for foreign routes passing through city), as well as some clarifications.

pilonv1

« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2017, 01:56:30 AM »
Australia Civ is live

Eat it Canada :cancry
itm

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #194 on: February 24, 2017, 09:23:55 AM »
:hyper
©ZH

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #195 on: February 24, 2017, 10:05:01 PM »
WTF Australia before Canada?  Fuck this game * uninstall   

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #196 on: February 24, 2017, 10:45:34 PM »
[AI TUNING]
Increased desire and ability to use nukes and aircraft, and maintain a standing military. General AI attack improvements.

shit

Reduced frequency of “your troops are on my border“ warning.

shit

Increased desire to declare friendship.

...shit

Game's super good.
rub

benjipwns

« Reply #197 on: March 28, 2017, 12:09:14 PM »
patchy patch patch to go with persia/macedon dlc:
This update for Civilization VI, available now for PC players and coming soon for Mac and Linux, includes a number of balance changes, AI adjustments, multiplayer changes, and bug fixes.

The Harbor balance change, included in this patch, will bring the strength of the various districts in line with each other. In addition, there are now added nuances to the warmonger penalties so they only hit with their full strength if you are truly wresting valuable cities from your opponents.
A complete list of changes in the Spring 2017 Update is below:

[BALANCE CHANGES]

•   Harbors now give a major adjacency bonus with the City Center, +1 Food to all Coast tiles when the Lighthouse is built, and +2 Gold to all Coast tiles when the Seaport is built.
•   Australia now gets +1 for Charming/+3 for Breathtaking on the four affected districts (had been +2/+4) to compensate for the Harbor boost above
•   Royal Navy Dockyard now always provides +1 Trade Route capacity, even if the city already has a Commercial Hub. This makes it more useful, even when England builds it on its home continent.
•   Added “Future Civic” to the end of the Civics Tree, a repeatable Civic to research and add to the player score.
•   Bomber units are now more effective against cities.
•   Swordsman are now reduced to 36 combat strength.
•   Damages now remain on City and Encampments when a city is traded.
•   Siege units with bonus movement (e.g. from Great Generals or Persian surprise war) can still shoot after moving as long as they still have 2 MP.
•   Adjusted Warmonger penalties for Diplomatic status:
o   When applying a warmonger diplomatic penalty for EITHER declaring war or capturing a city, reduce that penalty if you are enemies with the target of that warmongering as follows:
-20% warmongering if this is against a player you have denounced
-40% warmongering if this is against a player you are at war with
o   NOTE: This is not used in situations where you are fighting a Joint War against the target power or when Sumeria joins as ally in war (in both those cases the penalty is still zero).
o   EXAMPLE: Macedon is at war with Persia. If India goes to war with Persia sometime in the middle of this Macedonian/Persian War and captures a Persian city, Macedon will reduce its warmonger penalty against India by 40%.
•   Adjusted Warmonger penalties for City Population:
o   When applying a warmonger diplomatic penalty for capturing a city, reduce that penalty if the city is smaller than the average city in the game as follows:
If the city’s population after conquest is below the average population of all the cities in the game, reduce the warmonger penalty by the percentage that city’s population is below the average.
o   EXAMPLE: Persepolis is conquered and its population after conquest is 6. But the average size of a city in the game is 8. So this city is 2 / 8 = 25% below the size of the average city in the game. Therefore the warmonger penalty is reduced by 25%.

[AI TUNING]

•   Improved coordination for multiple attacking units.
•   Ranged units better understand how to capture civilian units.
•   AI should now generally accept embassies when neutral, and reject when unfriendly.
•   When asking an AI to equalize a deal that has elements on both sides of the deal, it will consider a gold-only change before looking at other possibilities.
•   Increased AI’s desire to repair pillaged Districts and Buildings.
•   Minor civs will no longer go after policies that give them extra influence they can never use.
•   Made it easier to meet the positive side of the environmentalist agenda
•   AI will now build multiple Neighborhoods.

[BUG FIXES]

•   The Great Works tooltip in the deal now shows extended information.
•   Melee units can no longer attack embarked units.
•   Pillaged improvements no longer provide Pantheon bonuses.
•   Fixed double-counting of Appeal from Improvements.
•   Fixed broken gossip message about Seaside Resorts that made them always mention a "lost city".
•   John Curtin is now referred to as “Prime Minister” and not “President” in the Outback Tycoon scenario.
•   Fixed an issue where previously constructed buildings were not showing up properly on the Production Chooser.
•   The World Tracker now keeps its open/closed state between turns.
•   Additional bug fixes.

[MULTIPLAYER]

•   Updating Global Thermonuclear War scenario's Proxy War victory condition to support team play.
•   Expanded internet games list to show results from additional regions
•   Games list was frequently not showing all available games due to UI bug.

[MISC]

•   Added more civs to the True Start Location Earth map.
•   Separated war/peace notifications into major civs vs. city-state.
•   Added additional information to Defeat/Victory screens, so players will be clearer on why they have lost the game.
•   Added "special ability" stars to techs and civics that unlock new functionality.
•   Added invasion warnings to Poland scenario
•   Added new Capabilities data base table to disable select game systems for scenarios and mods.
•   ARX functionality updates for scenarios.
•   Added text labels differentiating Official and Community content in the Lobby screen.

[ADDITONAL CONTENT]

•   In Game
o   Fixed issues in the Additional Content menu with mods that contained very long strings.
o   The "ImportFiles" modding action now works as a Frontend action.
o   The "UpdateIcons" action now supports SQL files in addition to XML files.
o   Multiple files can now be specified in the "AddGameplayScripts" Ingame action.
o   Added a "DoNothing" Frontend action and Ingame action. This action is useful as a placeholder or as a container that includes other actions.
o   The localization database is now written out to the cache folder.
•   Development Tools
o   The SDK launcher will now close after the user has clicked on an application to launch.
o   ModBuddy will no longer display a 'Parameter "escapedValue" cannot be null.' error when the Development Assets are not installed.
o   Added SQL syntax coloring to ModBuddy.

benjipwns

« Reply #198 on: March 28, 2017, 12:12:18 PM »
Increased AI’s desire to repair pillaged Districts and Buildings.
i noticed this a couple weeks ago, one civ had like all their districts around their two largest cities pillaged after some war it had and it stayed that way until the game was over :lol

Brehvolution

« Reply #199 on: March 28, 2017, 02:11:24 PM »
:bow
©ZH

benjipwns

« Reply #200 on: April 20, 2017, 02:22:46 AM »
So that tweak to make the AI's stop being total assholes 100% of the time has improved things, but it's almost too far in the other direction, everyone wants to be your friend immediately and I've gotten more alliance offers in two games than I ever received in all of Civ V.

But it's hasn't stopped the weird surprise and disastrous wars early on for the AI if you fall back and turtle with city defenses plus archers or whatever because they only have like six units in total. Even if they've just declared your friendship.

Greece did this, I wiped out like practically all their military before they set foot inside my borders as they just smashed into a wall of crossbowman plus the nearest city. Then they asked for peace. Then their neighbors the Romans declared war and conquered like half of Greece with a handful of horsemen because they were in shambles. :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #201 on: April 20, 2017, 02:24:01 AM »
Also the bug where the notification for someone else building Alhambra and only building Alhambra never goes away is still there, what a weird bug.

pilonv1

« Reply #202 on: April 21, 2017, 01:20:07 AM »
So that tweak to make the AI's stop being total assholes 100% of the time has improved things, but it's almost too far in the other direction, everyone wants to be your friend immediately and I've gotten more alliance offers in two games than I ever received in all of Civ V.

This sounds good.

But it's hasn't stopped the weird surprise and disastrous wars early on for the AI if you fall back and turtle with city defenses plus archers or whatever because they only have like six units in total. Even if they've just declared your friendship.

This does not.

After learning how to play EU4 at a reasonable level I haven't been able to go back to Civ 6 :(
itm

benjipwns

« Reply #203 on: April 22, 2017, 02:55:33 AM »
Was playing a game on the true start Earth map for kicks after reading a world war one book.

Rome is the most indefensible city in world history. The Italian peninsula is basically one tile wide (because we aren't allowed to have actual "huge maps" anymore without mods) and so you can surround the city on the sea for an easy landing of troops and if you control either route around the alps it's even more of a slaughter.

I have a city on the northern (Germany irl) side of the Alps so I've watched it changed hands about four times. The AI clearly knows how to attack it because they actually are doing this I assume related to how they smartly siege cities, but they clearly aren't putting any thought into defending it by say, just sitting some ships outside it to pick off embarked units. So the next power just comes along and takes it fifty turns later. I can't imagine what an easy slaughter that would be if embarked units still had their full power before the patch a while back.

Meanwhile the actual Roman Empire is hanging out down in South Africa now.

Also France collapsed immediately because I put Germany, Spain and England in the game. Whoops. :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #204 on: April 22, 2017, 03:38:23 AM »
somebody made a mod for the mod screen so you can just checkbox things instead of having to click on each one and click enable  :lol

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=905702111

benjipwns

« Reply #205 on: October 19, 2017, 03:03:59 PM »
The Fall 2017 update for Civilization VI is available now for PC players and coming soon for Mac and Linux. Just one of the big changes here: Religion has been overhauled. Religion gets fleshed out with new beliefs, new religious units, two new Pantheons, along with new Founder, Follower, Enhancer, and Worship Beliefs. These beliefs unlock the ability to build two new buildings as well as a new combat unit, the Warrior Monk. Finally, the Religion Lens has been overhauled to improve overall usability and readability. Beyond religion, there’s a number of other changes in store. For more details, see the complete list below:

[RELIGION UPDATE]
Overhauled “Religion Lens”
All religious units move on their own layer (similar to Trade Units and Spies)
Switched to unique unit flag backing for religious units
Display religion (if applicable) for a unit to be purchased with Faith
Added the ‘Condemn Heretic’ unit action to allow military units to eliminate religious units in their tile, similar to pillaging a trade route
Added Religion indicators to unit flags
Religious units now exert Zone of Control and receive Flank and Support bonuses in religious combat
Added two new Pantheons, two new Founder Beliefs, two new Follower Beliefs, two new Enhancer Beliefs, and two new Worship Beliefs (with new buildings)
Follower Belief “Warrior Monks” unlocks the new Warrior Monk unit, a medieval land combat unit with its own promotion tree that is purchased with Faith
Added the Guru religious support unit, which can heal nearby religious units
Improved long-term usefulness of Missionaries by giving their spread religion ability 10% eviction of all other religions
Gave nine existing leaders the LOW_RELIGIOUS_PREFERENCE trait so they are unlikely to push hard for a religion, making it easier for players to get one on high difficulties
Added Unit Action tooltip to show you how many followers you’ll have in a city after you spread religion there
Adding religious pressure to both ends of a trade route:
      Destination city gets 1 pressure per turn of the origin city's majority religion (if it has one). This is the same amount as if that city was close by.
      Origin city gets 0.5 pressure per turn of the destination city's majority religion (if it has one)
Added 8 new Relics

[UI ENHANCEMENTS]
Updated Diplomacy screens to improve readability and usability
Trade Overview: Available Routes tab will now show all possible routes between two cities regardless if the origin city has a trader located at it
New medallion style art for Great People
Capital icons now appear on city banners in espionage chooser menu
Rest & Repair actions inform you if you can’t heal due to a missing Strategic Resource
Changed sort order for gossip so most recent messages are shown first
Ensure plot tooltips show up after mousing over 2D icons in same plot
Trade route chooser now sorts routes when filtered by a yield
Lots of changes to make assorted UI screens more moddable/extensible

[AI TUNING]
Improved AI’s naval gameplay, including protection and healing of naval units, building a proper navy, and assaulting coastal cities
AI will attempt to re-convert its holy cities
AI will no longer commit to battles they cannot win
Improve AI city and district placement
Improved AI’s valuation of great works
Improved Scout’s drive to explore Tribal Villages
Improved siege attacks
Adjusted religious strategies, preventing large hordes of units going to the same, distant city
New AI support for Religious Heal and Condemn Heretic actions
Improve AI use of Inquisitors
Money Grubber agenda is no longer as sensitive to fluctuations in income

[MULTIPLAYER]
Ongoing stability improvements

[BALANCE CHANGES]
Removed some of the least useful Gossip messages to improve signal to noise:
      Buildings constructed if from 2 eras earlier than the constructing player's current era
      Civic cultivated if from 1 era earlier than developing player's current era
      Influenced city-state if not tied or higher than all other players
      Land unit promoted if only to Level 2
      Naval unit promoted if only to Level 2
      Policy slotted if unlocked from a Civic that is 2 eras earlier than slotting player's current era
      Tech researched if from 1 era earlier than researching player's current era
Move +1 embark speed from Cartography to Square Rigging
Allow friendly or allied spies to escape just before a nuke is detonated on a city they are in. All other spies are still killed.
Add Guilds as a prereq for Humanism so you have Theater Square before Museums
Change the Civic prereqs between Industrial and Modern so Zoo is required before Stadiums
Religious Idols Pantheon belief is now +2 Faith per mine instead of +1
Persian Immortal unit now behaves primarily as a melee unit with a ranged attack ability

[BUG FIXES]
AI will now recruit Great People when they take control of a human's game in MP
Fixed an issue where AI would trade invalid items
Fixed issues where AI appears to refuse their own deal proposals
Corrected an error that made the AI very unlikely to agree to alliances
Added missing description text for Broadway (+20% Culture for the city)
Fixed Colonial Taxes to be the listed 25% boost
Fix player being able to make peace with city states while at war with the suzerain
Pillaged districts no longer provide adjacency yields and they drop adjacent Appeal
Fixed the Hanging Gardens not granting Appeal
Archery tech boost earned by a Slinger on defense
Unique districts don’t count twice for Mathematics tech boost
Fix Housing from Monarchy to properly be +1 for each level of Wall
Culture Bombs can no longer steal National Park tiles
Conquering a city with a spaceport under sabotage no longer redirects that mission at yourself
Captured spies are immediately returned when a player is defeated
Gold costs of delegations is correct at all game speeds
Properly compute foreign followers of a religion for beliefs that use this stat. Followers from cities that didn’t have this religion as a majority were not counted previously
Embarked combat units can no longer capture enemy embarked civilians
Additional bug fixes

[MISC]
Changed Jakarta City-State to Bandar Brunei
Added Motion Blur to leaders

Brehvolution

« Reply #206 on: October 20, 2017, 03:39:54 PM »
I still play this game for at least an hour every day.

When I start a new game, I've been setting it up like this:

Difficulty: Mostly Immortal or Deity for teh lulz
Speed: Online
World: Huge
Resources: Abundant
City States: I set it to what I'm feeling.... sometimes all or none and everything in between
AI Players: All or sometimes just 3
Landscapes I usually just shuffle, but I'm liking Islands recently
No Barbarians because fuck barbarians on high difficulty
Everything else on default

Be ready to battle because everyone you meet will be coming.
©ZH

benjipwns

« Reply #207 on: October 20, 2017, 11:32:03 PM »
i actually haven't played this in a while, games were getting too similar

and that race to found cities early on because otherwise the AI will eat up the entire map before you even want to send some ships out was getting annoying, especially the way they'd just walk over city states

don't know if i'm glad or not to see this in the patch notes:
AI will no longer commit to battles they cannot win
because setting up a hermit defense gauntlet that they would just endlessly smash into one or two units at a time like idiots until they ran out of units and then buying myself an actual army to sweep through half their territory until they'd give me all their great works in exchange for peace was my go-to war strategy :lol

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #208 on: October 21, 2017, 12:13:26 AM »
I haven't played this since the Australia update and I haven't done any of the DLC scenarios or used any of the DLC leaders...

I own the Digital Deluxe edition

:doge

benjipwns

« Reply #209 on: October 21, 2017, 12:33:01 AM »
that made me look, at this point in the three past games we already had an expansion released

i wonder if they're just going to go the dlc route for civs plus these seasonal updates for longer before bundling them up, Civ V sorta seemed like they were going to do that but I think they started to want more people to upgrade to the latest expansion to where they kinda hid Gods and Kings after BNW came out...i noticed X-COM II also has way more relevant DLC than X-COM which had some weapons and stuff around release and then did a big expansion...so might be the 2K Model

they sent out a digital deluxe coupon for us regular folk, but there's no upgrade option for $15-20 or whatever like every other game that's not Call of Duty does, it's just 50% off the $80 package, which would still be more expensive than buying all the DLC at full price :lol

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #210 on: November 30, 2017, 07:26:21 AM »
rub

Brehvolution

« Reply #211 on: November 30, 2017, 09:33:25 AM »
More Civ! :rejoice

:hyper
©ZH

benjipwns

« Reply #212 on: December 08, 2017, 03:54:11 AM »
It better come with all the DLC. :bolo

He says trying to create reasons to hold off until a sale at least.

benjipwns

« Reply #213 on: December 08, 2017, 04:17:39 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #214 on: February 17, 2018, 07:42:45 PM »
totally haven't won a game in the expansion so far, even on settler :lol

Brehvolution

« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2018, 09:53:53 AM »
The bug I have now is that every time I leave it on random leader, I always end up as Germany.  :doge

I am loving the governors. It's a nice addition to the early game.
©ZH

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #216 on: May 01, 2018, 11:48:23 PM »
I have a pirated version so maybe this was fixed in the patch but every time I try to capture a city it crashes. Was going for a domination victory for fascist Rome >:( totally unplayable!
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #217 on: May 01, 2018, 11:50:11 PM »
maybe it's an anti-pirate "bug" like how Batman couldn't climb anything in the Arkham games

shosta

« Reply #218 on: May 01, 2018, 11:53:48 PM »
A lot of people had this bug actually, seems like it has something to do with spies in transition between cities causing a taken city to totally crash everything. I tried deleting all my spies ( I even traded for captured Rosenbergs :doge ) but other civs probably have spies in transit, too. Or it could be a different bug entirely, god knows I had so may random crashes in civ 5.

Btw benji I agree with your old old post in this thread about how good strategic view looks, I'm using that exclusively now.
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #219 on: November 20, 2018, 05:59:40 PM »

In Gathering Storm, the second expansion to Civilization VI, the world around you is more alive than ever before.

Chart a path to victory for your people by developing new advanced technologies and engineering projects and negotiating with the global community in the World Congress on critical issues.

The choices you make in the game will influence the world ecosystem and could impact the future of the entire planet. Natural disasters like floods, storms, and volcanoes can pillage or destroy your Improvements and Districts – but they may also refresh and enrich the lands after they pass.

In addition to these new systems, Civilization VI: Gathering Storm introduces eight new civilizations and nine new leaders. Seven new world wonders can be constructed, as well as a variety of new units, districts, buildings, and improvements.

ENVIRONMENTAL EFFECTS
Volcanoes, storms (blizzards, sand storms, tornados, hurricanes), climate change, floods, and droughts.

POWER AND CONSUMABLE RESOURCES
Strategic resources play an additional role in Gathering Storm. These resources are now consumed in power plants to generate electricity for your cities. Initially you’ll be powering your most advanced buildings by burning carbon-based resources like Coal and Oil, but renewable energy sources also unlock as you progress to current-day technologies. Your choices about resource usage will directly affect the world’s temperature and can cause melting ice caps and rising sea levels.

ENGINEERING PROJECTS
Shape the world around your empire to overcome unfavorable land conditions by making improvements like canals, dams, tunnels and railroads. When settling cities, consider the flood risk to coastal lowland areas, but keep in mind that in the late-game, new technologies like Flood Barriers can be used to protect these tiles.

WORLD CONGRESS
Make your voice heard among the other leaders of the world. Earn Diplomatic Favor through Alliances, influencing city-states, competing in World Games, and more. Use Diplomatic Favor to extract promises from other leaders, vote on Resolutions, call a Special Session to address an emergency, and increase the weight of your votes in your quest to achieve the new Diplomatic Victory.

21st CENTURY TECHNOLOGIES & CIVICS
A new era has been added to the Technology and Civics trees. Combat new environmental effects with speculative ideas such as relocating your population out to seasteads and developing technologies to recapture carbon emissions.

NEW LEADERS AND CIVS
Nine new leaders from eight new civilizations are introduced. Each brings unique bonuses and gameplay, as well as a total of nine unique units, four unique buildings, three unique improvements, two unique districts and one unique governor.

NEW SCENARIOS
The Black Death: The Black Death ravaged Europe and western Asia in the mid-14th century, killing a greater share of the population than any other event in world history. The pandemic killed millions, ruined economies, upended political dynasties and transformed the face of the Western world. Your task is to lead your nation through the calamity: keep your population alive, your economy strong, and your faith unshaken amidst a world of terror and desperation.

War Machine: At the outset of WWI, the German Imperial Army had a daring plan: invade neutral Belgium and then rush the French heartland before they could mobilize to resist. If successful, the German forces would capture Paris within a month and end their resistance forever. In counter, the French command prepared Plan 17, an all-out onslaught designed to meet and stop a German offensive. When war was declared, both armies swung into motion and set up one of the most incredible and shocking military campaigns in world history. In this multiplayer scenario, players take the side of one of these two great powers at this same precipice. As Germany, your task is to capture Paris. As France, your task is to prevent its capture. The clock is ticking, and the enemy is moving. Advance!

MORE NEW CONTENT
Seven new world wonders, seven natural wonders, 18 new units, 15 new improvements, 9 new buildings, 5 new districts, 2 new city sets, 9 new techs and 10 new civics have been added.

IMPROVED GAMEPLAY SYSTEMS
The Espionage system has been enhanced with new options, the Culture and Science Victories have been updated, new Historic Moments have been added, and additional improvements have been made to other existing systems.

Himu

« Reply #220 on: November 20, 2018, 06:09:09 PM »
Is Civ VI good yet?
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #221 on: November 20, 2018, 06:16:21 PM »
Is Civ VI good yet?

It's on Switch now so yes

Borealis

« Reply #222 on: November 20, 2018, 06:19:57 PM »
On the other side, we’ve replaced the Warmonger score with Grievances. This acts as a tug-of-war between a pair of players – if you’ve ever been at the receiving end of a surprise attack and retaliated by taking a few cities, I think you’ll appreciate how this system has been updated. The other leaders are now likely to feel that such a countermove was entirely appropriate.

Most important change, thank fuck.

Freyj

« Reply #223 on: November 20, 2018, 06:23:27 PM »
So do I wait to buy VI, Rise and Fall and this until it’s out or buy VI and Rise and Fall for $35 on the Humble Store before their Fall Sale ends?

benjipwns

« Reply #224 on: November 20, 2018, 07:07:33 PM »
Is Civ VI good yet?
It's been good since release and only gotten better? :huh

So do I wait to buy VI, Rise and Fall and this until it’s out or buy VI and Rise and Fall for $35 on the Humble Store before their Fall Sale ends?
Even if you didn't want to play it until Gathering Storm, it'd still be cheaper to buy VI+RAF at their cheapest, then GS at full price when it comes out than pay full price for everything later.

benjipwns

« Reply #225 on: November 20, 2018, 07:12:17 PM »
https://civilization.com/news/entries/civilization-vi-gathering-storm-new-expansion-release-date-pc-february-14-2019/

pretty pictars and more description like Borealis quoted

Which brings us to something we know many fans are excited about - the addition of the Canal district. This is something we’ve seen asked for again and again, and we are excited to bring it to fruition in this expansion. There are actually three parts to this. First, we have taken our player’s existing use of cities on one-tile wide isthmuses (what our fans call “canal cities”) and officially recognized these features with the art on the map (which shows a navigable channel through these cities). The second part is the introduction of the Canal district. It’s another tile that provides navigation and since it can connect into cities you can actually use two of them around a city center to create a 3-tile wide path between bodies of water. But why stop there? Here on the Civilization VI team we have heard about “a man, a plan, a canal, Panama” so we felt it was pretty imperative to have a Panama Canal wonder. There’s an achievement in Gathering Storm for creating a full 7-tile navigable path using Canal districts, cities, and this wonder together.
The design team was able to do something a little bit different in Gathering Storm, and added a new era of techs and civics including some speculative technologies. As we cannot predict the future, we decided that there would be no single path through this era, but instead these new branches of the trees would have a bit of randomization to them. I’m not ready to provide specifics just yet, but I can confirm that yes, we do have some new items unlocking in these late eras that spice up the present Science, Culture, and Domination Victories in fun new directions.
We’ve always had Floodplains in the game, but I always found it disappointing that they were completely static. No longer! We’ve enlarged the floodable areas to include flat Grasslands and Plains tiles next to Rivers so these valleys can offer the potential of incredibly high yields. So you’ll still want to settle there -- but now doing so comes with real risk. Periodically each of these rivers will flood, damaging structures throughout the floodable tiles. But don’t worry, there’s an upside!  First, you can mitigate the effects with our new Dam district. And once you’ve rebuilt, the flood will have enhanced a number of those tiles with rich, fertile soil. I love the way this works out: throughout history civilizations have risen and flourished in dangerous places, like near volcanoes and in river valleys.

Himu

« Reply #226 on: November 20, 2018, 07:34:55 PM »
Is Civ VI good yet?
It's been good since release and only gotten better? :huh

Even if you didn't want to play it until Gathering Storm, it'd still be cheaper to buy VI+RAF at their cheapest, then GS at full price when it comes out than pay full price for everything later.

People complained at release saying it was missing features or am I thinking of V
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #227 on: November 20, 2018, 07:55:19 PM »
People always complain about Civ regressing from the fully expanded version of the prior game or performance issues or whatever. But the series has always been good if not excellent.

Series should be thought of as different focuses or approaches to the same concept, a new "spin" each time, rather than an unbroken line of development marching towards an eventual singular perfection.

There's no reason not to go back to BNW or BTS or II when that's the version you're feeling you want, rather than thinking them outmoded because there's a NEW one.

Himu

« Reply #228 on: November 20, 2018, 10:07:50 PM »
Ahhh

Thanks!
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #229 on: November 20, 2018, 11:47:46 PM »
My biggest complaint with the game, and I still had this about V actually, is that they've never touched up the UI enough. Just steal some of the stuff in the Workshop already!

pilonv1

« Reply #230 on: November 21, 2018, 04:03:38 AM »
Hows the AI now? That was always the downfall for me.
itm

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #231 on: November 21, 2018, 05:49:15 AM »
Turn 300 on Switch

America is wholly islamic

Goddamit how do I turn agnostic

Brehvolution

« Reply #232 on: November 21, 2018, 08:45:45 AM »
:lawd Take my money!
©ZH

shosta

« Reply #233 on: November 27, 2018, 11:21:51 PM »
I've only ever played five and six so my perspective here is limited and I don't know if it was any different in previous games. But while I enjoy the games I've played, I've started wishing for some things:
- causa belli for a simple frontier war. Or trading boundary tiles in general. Sometimes my opponents beat me at getting a resource and I want a way to get it without having to take over their city and raze it to the ground (although that's always fun). Peace agreements should let you nudge the line, or even force your opponent to make huge territorial concessions without necessarily ceding whole cities. I know this is supposed to be done with cities but taking on the tile granularity might be met with less warmonger penalty etc.
- Allow wars for influence on a city state. Sometimes I go to war with a civ and don't want to take them off the map but just get their capital, peel off their encroaching cities, etc. That ends up fine but at the end, they still have all their envoys to city states that I've been wasting all my envoys on! And that gets extremely annoying. So this is a two parter. The first is that you should be able to trade influence on the deal screen. This actually incentivizes you to gain influence in city states whose focus you're not interested (faith, culture?) because that becomes a commodity you can trade to people who might actually want that influence. the second is straight up that I want to go to war with city states and upon defeat, remove all other foreign envoys. That kind of sphere of influence stuff is definitely the predominant kind of military action anyway once you get past the Renaissance era in history.
- speaking of influence, rethink economics in general. food, productivity, and currency aren't totally independent things. Food is exportable! Trade routes to other civilizations should also bring with them food surpluses. Trade routes within a civilization should produce just as much wealth as trade routes outside of them. The principle benefit of trading between civs should be in increasing friendliness, religious pressure, and mutual science and culture boosts, but the material advantages should be the same. As it stands, while I *can* make cities in, say, agriculturally desolated but minerally rich areas (Arctic continents and islands come to mind specially), and just send trade routes with food, in practice I always use my trade route capacity for coinage. If this trade-off was intentional it wasn't thought out. Making food exportable would also create really interesting situations like on civ being dependent on another breadbasket civ, being able to starve civs as a war strategy (blockades, so on... although I remember that civ 5 had blockades as a ramification of its capital city connection mechanic...
- pls bring back Venice  :doge

still love the game though  :-*
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:26:25 PM by shosta »
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #234 on: November 28, 2018, 02:56:38 PM »
i just did 18 hours straight. uninstalled.
每天生气

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #235 on: December 11, 2018, 11:09:07 AM »
___

benjipwns

« Reply #236 on: December 11, 2018, 11:16:39 AM »
Canada? Preorder cancelled.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #237 on: January 07, 2019, 10:37:01 AM »
Civ VI on Switch is such a good fit. No expansions... yet. But they may be released.
rub

benjipwns

« Reply #238 on: February 14, 2019, 01:22:50 AM »
bad reviews from some Gamer outlets, don't care, lets do this :punch

pilonv1

« Reply #239 on: February 14, 2019, 04:50:45 AM »
I've read one review from someone I know who loves Civ. I still can't see enough to drag me back from the randomness of EU4
itm