Author Topic: Your first gaming console.  (Read 6561 times)

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
Your first gaming console.
« on: May 30, 2016, 04:17:53 AM »
This might get moved but I was just bullshitting about Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, and the like with a buddy and it made me think. Wonder what the bore grew up on?

For me.... with first system and favorite game, I think it was and stress think it was;

Atari 2600: Star Raiders
Intellivision: The baseball game
Commodore 64: Gorf
NES: Super Tecmo Bowl.

I may have played a Colecovision but I didn't own one.
YMMV

archnemesis

Re: Your first gaming console.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 04:39:48 AM »
Commodore 64, Atari ST, and Nintendo Game & Watch were my first systems. I inherited a lot of games from my older cousins. My favorites where probably the old Sierra adventure series.

I've also had PCs since the 8086 days. In the beginning they weren't that useful for gaming.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:23:09 AM by archnemesis »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 05:14:16 AM »
I inherited an NES, and probably Zelda was what I most played. Or Mario 3 or Mega Man 3 or something.

SNES was my first "near-release" and new console, I think the spring after it came out. Chrono Trigger being the greatest game of all time probably has to be named as my favorite. And too much else to name as runner-ups.

I actually played way more on DOS/equivalent like Kroz or whatever until the late SNES/early PS1 era probably. And then moved back into PC as primary around Sim City 2000/Civ II. Been PC primary ever since. Though I did have PS2/GCN/Xbox, last time I had all the consoles during their generation. (Though I probably played more PC/GBA.  :lol)

Actually, I probably had a Game Boy either slightly before or after the SNES.

EGA Trek :lawd

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 05:19:06 AM »
NES with Mario 3 bundle when I was five years old.
🍆🍆

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 06:10:05 AM »
x
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 07:10:51 AM by seagrams hotsauce »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 06:51:37 AM »
Great thread, AiA!

We never had a console, but friends did. I still remember sitting on shag carpet and playing Atari 2600 and Intellivision, and Pong way before that.

My first gaming setup at home was an Apple //e, and I played mostly text adventures. I grew up on Zork, and later Wishbringer, Hitchhiker's Guide, Planetary, etc.

Later I had a PC clone with a Hercules graphics adaptor, and I played the hell out of Jet.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 07:01:11 AM »
C64 (though I used it more to mess around with BASIC programming than to play games) and NES
QED

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 08:06:30 AM »
:bow C64 :bow2
itm

Yulwei

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 08:12:33 AM »
N64

Games we had were Super Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Golden Eye and Mortal Kombat Trilogy. SM64 was great and everything but me and my brothers spent 99% of the time playing the other games. Gaming has always been synonymous with multiplayer to me and to this day MP games are still my favorite.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 08:15:29 AM »
N64? How old are you people?
serge

Yulwei

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 08:18:53 AM »
I'm 25   ???

I have vague recollections of playing duck hunt on the NES but yeah

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 08:49:51 AM »
SNES was the first I owned. I had access to a NES, Master System and C64, but only the SNES was mine. Never finished any of my games, but I did play them a lot. Almost lost interest in video games when the PS came around and got me back into games for good.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 09:49:53 AM »
There were video game consoles before the NES?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
lol, old people
[close]

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 09:57:56 AM »
First games I remember playing are Atari Star Wars the arcade machine and River Raid on my cousins C64

First console I owned was the NES

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 10:16:27 AM »
First games I remember playing are Atari Star Wars the arcade machine and River Raid on my cousins C64

First console I owned was the NES

That leap from River Raid 2600 to River Raid 5200 :lawd
YMMV

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 10:17:17 AM »
NES and Mario/Duck Hunt
SNES and Super Mario Allstars

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 10:41:02 AM »
NES with Mario/Duck Hunt
^_^

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 10:58:47 AM »
The family had an intellivision or Atari or something that I only have vague memories of playing some tank game that was pretty fun. I more vividly remember the NES with Duck Hunt, Zelda 2, Megaman 2, the Mario games, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Excite Bike, Silent Service, Urban Champion, etc

Also had an old ass dos computer with the Hugo games on floppy, and like pac man on something called the big blue disk of games -- also spent a bunch of time with some like Disney alphabet game?

Edit: it was Donald's Alphabet Chase :lol
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:07:10 AM by CatsCatsCats »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 12:27:32 PM »
NES mario duck hunt is the pack I got as well  :)

Dont knotw about the two versions of River Raid

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 12:46:01 PM »
Atari 2600 from my babysitter at the time when she got an NES. Dodging that Nintendo bullet early. :preach

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 01:01:05 PM »
my parents got a Colecovision when i was real young and i loved the shit out of it. helped that the few games they had were classics: donkey Kong, Zaxxon, and Venture. venture was definitely my favorite. for those that don't know it was a action game game that had a horror bent (well as much as you could have horror in those simple ass games back then). you would go into different rooms on floors of a mansion and you'd have to kill off all the enemies quick or else this invincible monster would come in and hunt you down. scared the shit out of me.

eventually they gave it away and i didn't care about games for a few years til they bought that NES triple pack that had Mario, duck hunt, and track n field with a zapper and power pad. i got hooked on Mario Bros and never looked back.
pcp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 01:01:45 PM »
My parents had an Atari 2600 clone that was made by Sears when I was really little. :lol

My first real console was when I was 5 (1988) and my grandpa bought me an NES. Legend of Zelda and Rygar were my jams. Then SMB 3 came out and I thought I was in Heaven.  :aah
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:45:52 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 01:31:20 PM »
Friends had an Atari 2600 and an Intellivision. First console for me was an NES, though.

My mom bought the "deluxe" version with Duck Hunt and fucking Gyromite with ROB the robot instead of the Super Mario Bros version, though, so fucking Duck Hunt and Gyromite were my first games. Sigh.
yar

Tasty

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 02:07:02 PM »
My grandpa had a SNES. Eventually my older sister bought a SNES for our house too.

My older sister had a GameBoy, but I probably played it more than her.

We both got N64s when they came out. So my first actual system that I owned was either an N64 or this style GameBoy Color:

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2016, 02:07:23 PM »
lolz gyromite wasnt thaaaat bad, provided you had never seen or heard about Mario Bros
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2016, 02:08:48 PM »
why does it not surprise me that tasty came from a house that had separate consoles for each kid
pcp

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2016, 02:09:24 PM »
NES bundle with two controllers, Super Mario Bros, and my dad bought us Karate Champ for some reason.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
He also bought us a Toshiba TV that lasted for like 35+ years Glorious Nippon Tech.  :aah
[close]
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:22:24 PM by D3RANG3D »

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2016, 02:17:35 PM »
N64 with the extreme green controller. Helped cultivate an aversion to RPGs and 2D graphics.

Almost all my time with it was spent playing 4p multiplayer. Smash, GoldenEye, PD, the AKI wrestling games, Mario Kart/Tennis.

Was too young (dumb?) to grasp the mechanics of Ocarina, but I watched my friend's older brother go through it and it blew my mind.

Tasty

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2016, 02:18:07 PM »
why does it not surprise me that tasty came from a house that had separate consoles for each kid

Eh, not really.

We had one SNES.

We had to share a GameBoy for a while.

There was only one GameCube (mine) for about two years until the price dropped enough for my younger sister to get one.

We only had one Wii.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2016, 03:59:32 PM »
I'm just ribbing you dude
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2016, 04:45:10 PM »
Earliest memory is banging the NES Toasterbox getting Metroid to work
fat

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2016, 04:45:12 PM »
Seriously two N64s though? On release day? Shit's pretty baller tbh

Tasty

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2016, 04:55:22 PM »

Might not have been release day, think they were Xmas gifts.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2016, 04:58:44 PM »
NES with XEXYZ

nudemacusers

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2016, 05:03:48 PM »
NES

But my first gaming was on PC (Sierra adventure games uber alles)
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2016, 05:11:39 PM »
Sierra adventure games always Nazis?   

nudemacusers

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2016, 05:17:58 PM »

Look at this aryan excellence
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2016, 05:20:37 PM »
To become a hero with a score of 504 out of 500, how many Jews did you need to kill?

nudemacusers

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2016, 05:37:43 PM »
There are no Jews in quest for glory.

Just a few gypsies and a money grubbing ogre with oily skin, a large nose and beard.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2016, 06:52:05 PM »
If you stuck both of them together, you'd have enough graphics memory for one console.

El Babua

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2016, 07:12:37 PM »
Played NES

Owned SNES

qq more

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2016, 07:27:20 PM »
Sega Genesis. We had Sonic 1, Altered Beast and one of the Golden Axe games the first day we got the system. I think I was 3 at the time. I had a NES eventually but we only had very few games, so I was hardly nostalgic for the 8bit era. (didn't stop me from digging into its library decades later  :lawd )
ok

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2016, 08:01:15 PM »
Had two NES systems passed down to me from cousins. Distinctly remember a racing game and "golda" (Zelda).

Also had a computer that played commander keen and duke. Not sure what kind or the timeline
dur

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2016, 09:18:48 PM »
The first console we had was an Atari 5200.  One of my earliest memories is of playing River Raid on it...must have been 1984?  Then we got an Apple IIgs in 1986.  I spent the 80s desperately wanting an NES, but we didn't get one until the end of 1990.

This might get moved

Why would you even post this on the The Diversity Lounge when we have a gaming forum?  :P

:cmonson
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:33:14 PM by bork pls »
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2016, 09:26:18 PM »
my parents got a Colecovision when i was real young and i loved the shit out of it. helped that the few games they had were classics: donkey Kong, Zaxxon, and Venture. venture was definitely my favorite. for those that don't know it was a action game game that had a horror bent (well as much as you could have horror in those simple ass games back then). you would go into different rooms on floors of a mansion and you'd have to kill off all the enemies quick or else this invincible monster would come in and hunt you down. scared the shit out of me.

eventually they gave it away and i didn't care about games for a few years til they bought that NES triple pack that had Mario, duck hunt, and track n field with a zapper and power pad. i got hooked on Mario Bros and never looked back.

I'm not terribly versed in the pre-NES era, but the Colecovision is definitely a console that impressed me when I played one for the first time a few years ago. Nearly holds its own with the early NES, and drastically better than the 2600 or Intellivision (the latter something I played a few months ago for the first time).

lolz gyromite wasnt thaaaat bad, provided you had never seen or heard about Mario Bros

Music was awesome though, I love Tanaka's chiptunes from that era...
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2016, 09:35:31 PM »
I also vividly remember the first time I saw the NES and Super Mario Bros. in 1986.  I was blown away by Super Mario Bros...the game's scrolling levels were mind-blowing back then. 
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2016, 10:23:23 PM »
NES with the original Contra. Later moved from Nintendo after their hardware broke like 2-3 times and got a Genesis and didn't look back toward Nintendo outside of Handhelds (where someone got me into Pokemon) ever. :lol Okay, that's a lie. I got a Gamecube for RE4.  :lol But still, I don't look toward Nintendo for that shit. Childhood trauma. :doge :doge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2016, 11:13:02 PM »
I had some Atari knock-off, then later a NES [my most played game was probably Dragon Warrior, followed by Super Mario Bros. 1 or 2], when I was really young. But the first system that I actually remember getting and playing for the first time was the Genesis. My grandpa just randomly decided to buy it and gave it to us, wasn't even a birthday or Christmas either! Sonic 1 was incredibly hard, I remember. Not long after that, we sold the NES and all the games, and used the money to get Sonic 2. Also, my brother and I each got a Gameboy [with Tetris] on Christmas, but I don't remember if that was before or after we got the Genesis.
dog

larrydavid

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2016, 12:53:01 AM »
one of the ataris, the one that could play old and new atari games. we played a lot of shitty games like jungle hunt.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2016, 01:16:14 AM »
Brother had an Atari (2600, I think) that gave me the bug, and I also had a couple runs with an Atari ST, which was a NES.
ὕβρις

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2016, 03:02:48 AM »
I also vividly remember the first time I saw the NES and Super Mario Bros. in 1986.  I was blown away by Super Mario Bros...the game's scrolling levels were mind-blowing back then. 

i remember being blown away at the princess is in another castle bit. like how can a game even be this big?? then my cousin told me there's wasn't just two worlds, but a total of eight each with four levels. i flipped the fuck out :lol
pcp

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2016, 06:17:34 AM »
Bought a SNES a week before the N64 came out, which might have seemed lol at the time BUT HISTORY PROVED ME RIGHT

also given the price difference between a used cart w/ no box or manual ($5) vs a new game ($70) I bought most of my games based on the little art work on the carts themselves. luckily this got me stuff like SF2, magic sword, super metroid n act raiser, again putting me on the right side of history.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2016, 09:02:09 AM »
 In 1993 my brother decided to sell the NES and all our games (more than 50) to one of those used game trade places listed in the back of gaming mags.  There were no local shops that did this at the time.  I don't remember how much we got, but it was a laughable amount for that much stuff.  We got like two new SNES games with the money and I was pissed that the NES was gone.  My dad was happy to sell the console off and I had no say in the matter.  :cry  The mentality then was that one console was enough, plus we had a Mac (lol games but hey Monkey Island).  Of course when the following gen rolled around, I had started working and bought multiple consoles myself.  :smug

i remember being blown away at the princess is in another castle bit. like how can a game even be this big?? then my cousin told me there's wasn't just two worlds, but a total of eight each with four levels. i flipped the fuck out :lol

Mind blowing stuff!  :lol
ど助平

Fifstar

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2016, 10:10:30 AM »
Got a NES with Ice Climber in 89. Kind of a shitty packin but I used to eschange games with friends from school. Also started to game on a 386 with Monkey Island and shareware games from a bookshop (?).
Gulp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2016, 11:03:18 AM »
Writing in to the Nintendo Power Counselor's Corner for tips and then waiting 4-6 weeks for a response because your parents wouldn't let you call the Hotline for $0.99 a minute. :lawd
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2016, 11:26:41 AM »
Lol I called the hotline to get unstuck in Wario Land 2 and my parents were pretty annoyed, lol.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2016, 01:29:43 PM »
i had a friend who hated his shitty parents so we made a call from his house. they told us about how you could electrocute the underwater boss in super metroid so we knew the call was worth it.
pcp

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2016, 01:40:35 PM »
First thing I co-owned was a NES with my older brother. But people had a 2600, Vic 20, Commodore 64, hell even a home version of Pong that hooked up to the TV.
Hi

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2016, 08:36:36 PM »
My first console was a hand-me-down 2600 followed by a Sega Master System and a 486 IBM compatible. I put waayyyyyy too much time into the notoroiusly bad 2600 version of Pac Man  :'( At least Adventure and Jungle Hunt were straight fire :lawd

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2016, 09:45:05 PM »
lmao sceneman getting his trash gaming fix in early
pcp