Author Topic: MIRROR'S EDGE ][  (Read 5170 times)

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
MIRROR'S EDGE ][
« on: June 07, 2016, 08:00:11 PM »

The first one is a straight-up GOAT and deeply resonated with me because it's basically the story of my life back when I was free running around Tokyo and head-stomping cops and uncovering a megacorporation's evil plans, all the while with really chill Swedish music playing, you see that picture up there, THAT'S TOTALLY ME, EA MADE A GAME ABOUT MY LIFE BUT CHANGED IT TO A GIRL OH WELL

Anyhoo, the new one just came out and I'm not so sure about this, it's waiting for me back at the apartment and I'm really really afraid that they fucked it up because the budget's probably 10x the original game's, and the opportunities for corporate douchebaggery just kinda compound with that kinda thing.

Reviews are all over the place so I haven't really bothered reading them or watching anything other than the initial debut trailer

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm probably gonna be real disappointed aren't I
[close]

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: MIRROR'S EDGE ][
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 08:21:11 PM »
Even if it lets you down, you still have that banging bikini bod. :ryker

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 08:40:43 PM »
i haven't seen any of the coverage since last year's e3 i think, but i'm a bit worried about it being shit (open world? unlocking moves? story stuff? help me??)

still love the first one tho n ea can't take that away from me  :preach

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 08:42:17 PM »
I heard it's better than most episodes of The Jamie Kennedy Experiment.
serge

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 09:16:53 PM »
TIL: Sho-nuff is white, if he (and Kara) aren't trollin'. I thought you were completely black, man. :lol :lol :lol

i haven't seen any of the coverage since last year's e3 i think, but i'm a bit worried about it being shit (open world? unlocking moves? story stuff? help me??)

still love the first one tho n ea can't take that away from me  :preach

I'm about 50-80% through the main story now. You'll get your abilities really fast if you just pick up collectibles and burn through the main stories until the last one that unlocks like 99% of abilities. People crying murder about that during the pre-release stuff blew it completely out of proportion. The sandbox is still straight-up Mirror's Edge. You can't go down to street level outside of certain moments and you'll be on the rooftop or underground the majority of the time.

Story seems hit and miss, but I'm enjoying it because I enjoy dystopias.

If you enjoyed the first and essentially want that without guns, this will supply you with that gameplay. The only hang-up for some is the sandbox. But frankly the sandbox is just an even bigger Mirror's Edge that lets you choose how you want to reach areas. For that, it's what I wanted.

My biggest disappointment is that the social stuff is time-trails. So no practicing runs with friends in-game at all.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 10:16:12 PM »
why is there a sandbox tho   >:( are there sidemissions and pigeons to collect  :-\ is it just busy work moving from stage to stage  ???

Beezy

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 10:16:32 PM »
Only did the intro mission so far, but Mirror's Edge! I've waited so long for this! :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

Tasty

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 10:17:52 PM »
Wait weren't you a redhead when I met you at PAX?  :dunno

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 10:54:05 PM »
Sho Nuff looks nothing like I imagined from the sound of his voice.

Anyway, the GB quick look didn't make this look especially good. The spaces really don't read well. Lot's of confusing or ambiguous lines, as if judging distances in first person wasn't difficult enough. Not surprised they felt the need ton include a red wisp guiding you along, on top of runner vision's red highlight.

thisismyusername

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 10:54:57 PM »
why is there a sandbox tho   >:( are there sidemissions and pigeons to collect  :-\ is it just busy work moving from stage to stage  ???

There are sidemissions, yes. Pigeons, no. There's time-trials (which are pretty good but people glitch the hell out of them for the leaderboards), social ones (that people create. Good idea, but this isn't the "social multiplayer" I wanted). It's not really "busywork" since most of the stuff will be in the way for missions. The only thing I've noticed (and am annoyed by) since the closed beta to final is that they removed these pick-ups during main-story missions. So you have to retread ground to find these, but most of the time you're gonna be taking those routes over and over and over if you're going to other areas instead of fast-traveling (I haven't taken antennas out besides the one for the "tutorial", which unlocks fast travel).

Anyway, the GB quick look didn't make this look especially good. The spaces really don't read well. Lot's of confusing or ambiguous lines, as if judging distances in first person wasn't difficult enough. Not surprised they felt the need ton include a red wisp guiding you along, on top of runner vision's red highlight.

GB (and this isn't singling them out. Game journalists in general) suck at games. I haven't had issues with judging distances in this or the first one. The "spaces really don't read well" only the first time you run though, just like... Mirror's Edge 1.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 11:07:54 PM »
i'll hopefully get to play it myself over the weekend, but i'm still mad about it not being exactly the same but better

The "spaces really don't read well" only the first time you run though, just like... Mirror's Edge 1.

this was only true for the puzzle rooms ime, and i turned off the red highlight nonsense at first opportunity. the general level design in me1 is v good with this stuff

thisismyusername

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 11:10:30 PM »
You can turn off Runner's Vision here and have no issues. Like the more veteran playerbase either has classic runners vision (to have red highlights) or have it completely off. I haven't ran into anyone using the "new" one and even then classic runner's vision will throw that red "ghost-trail" if you click R3 when you're really lost, but for the most part you're not gonna be lost if you have the icons popping up showing you the general direction you want to go in.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 10:11:47 AM »
I somehow missed that Green Man Gaming wouldn't be releasing codes until tomorrow. But oh well, not gonna get a refund since I got it with a nice discount. 

The PC version also supports 21:9.  :drool
ど助平

Sho Nuff

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 02:56:31 PM »
I'm in about 4 hours, and I'm okay with it so far. I like being able to chain combat moves off free-running and build up the combo, though I'm not sure what that actually means. Music seems about the same, which is good. There are some annoying voice samples that play over and over (cameras saying "SCANNING FOR THREATS," billboards spouting the same thing continuously) that is kind of a pain in the ass.

New Runner Vision is horrible; it has the stink of idiot focus testers all over it. I turned off ALL runner vision at first, but then I was getting totally stuck during story missions where I had to go somewhere quickly but couldn't read the environment. I think Classic is probably the way to go.

The game is buggy. I had music drop out in the first 20 minutes, and there was a collision bug where I couldn't swing on a pipe; I'd just clip right through it during the opening tutorial mission, which had me ready to smash my controller (eventually I just reloaded the checkpoint after 15 tries, and it worked fine, good job idiots).

Also, I am just messing with yall, that is not me in the first picture. Here's me and Papa Nuff:

[close]

thisismyusername

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 04:51:01 PM »
I was technically still right. I didn't know you were white.

Oh how I wish you were the OP picture though. :phil :tauntaun
[close]

Sho Nuff

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 07:30:11 PM »
I was technically still right. I didn't know you were white.

Oh how I wish you were the OP picture though. :phil :tauntaun
[close]

It's okay, I'm working on my guns  :bolo

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 09:10:52 PM »
Guy in OP might not grow up to be a DILF, Sho on the other hand. :phil

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 06:20:29 PM »
The Anasi building mission was pretty cool.
nat

Bebpo

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 06:45:44 PM »
I didn't even realize this came out.  I guess that's what happens when they don't sell PC games on Steam.  Man, ME2 was one of my most awaited games back in the day, loved the shit out of time trials 3D platforming. 

Sounds like an alright sequel.  Will give it a shot after a sale. 

Bebpo

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2016, 07:05:44 PM »
Oh shit I just read some of the official reviews.  Pretty damning & way lower than I expected.  Sounds like the open world platformer stuff was a pointless idea like it sounded on paper.  Hmmm, I love Mirror's Edge, so I'll probably still give this a try, but now I'm thinking $20.

thisismyusername

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2016, 11:21:23 PM »
Oh shit I just read some of the official reviews.  Pretty damning & way lower than I expected.  Sounds like the open world platformer stuff was a pointless idea like it sounded on paper.  Hmmm, I love Mirror's Edge, so I'll probably still give this a try, but now I'm thinking $20.

Reviews are wrong and once again playing it wrong. The sandbox is fine. If you enjoyed the first, you'll more than likely enjoy this one.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2016, 04:10:10 AM »
I am totally down with the sandbox. The only problems are:

1. Combat is dogshit; they will lock you in enemy rooms and they're easily the crappiest part of the game.
2. Music. Just doesn't give me the same feels as the first one.

So far 7/10, about 85% done with the story

thisismyusername

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2016, 11:31:07 AM »

1. Combat is dogshit; they will lock you in enemy rooms and they're easily the crappiest part of the game.

There's only two instances of that, otherwise you can run from the other encounters IIRC.

Same composer from the first one? :confused

Sho Nuff

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2016, 05:10:49 PM »

There's only two instances of that, otherwise you can run from the other encounters IIRC.

Same composer from the first one? :confused

I think I counted three or four enemy rooms that I couldn't escape, but I'm not sure if there was secretly an exit that I wasn't seeing.

And yeah, the composer is the same, but I'm just not getting into it as much.

Just finished the story. Wow, what a garbage ending. Will probably keep playing until I max out the tech trees. Hacking the billboard missions are really fun.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2016, 03:34:15 PM »
Fuck I'm loving this.
vin

Beezy

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 12:16:29 AM »
This game is amazing. I don't understand the complaints from reviewers. Fuck em.

thisismyusername

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 10:20:20 AM »
This game is amazing. I don't understand the complaints from reviewers. Fuck em.

It's because most reviewers suck at it.

DoomPolygon.gifv

Beezy

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 02:31:48 PM »
Sucks that people like Bebpo are passing on it because of them. :/

Bebpo

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 02:43:58 PM »

Hey I'll play it when it hits $20!

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 02:44:20 PM »
I loved ME and passing on this until its 5 euro (next year psn ea sale) because the idea that they increased the shooting and made it open world doesnt seem to make sense

Beezy

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2016, 02:56:06 PM »
There's no shooting. You can't pick up a gun in this game. There's combat, but it's much better than the first game.

It's "open world", but you can fast travel to each main area. Not an issue at all. If you enjoyed the first game, you'll enjoy this one too. Everything has been improved except the story which doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:00:17 PM by Beezy »

thisismyusername

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2016, 04:50:47 PM »

Hey I'll play it when it hits $20!

When I don't get Mirror's Edge 3: Parkour Harder, you'll be the first against the wall. :maf

I loved ME and passing on this until its 5 euro (next year psn ea sale) because the idea that they increased the shooting and made it open world doesnt seem to make sense

Also you, too. Because you're dumb and won't look up basic information such as "Mirror's Edge 2 doesn't have guns in it for you to pick-up at all, you dumbass."

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2016, 09:59:12 AM »
Well that sounds ok but as all EA games it will be on a mega sale sometime soon and there is no rush playing this now

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2016, 11:02:03 AM »
individual consumer behavior as radical praxis  :aah

Kara

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2016, 04:39:58 PM »
individual consumer behavior as radical praxis  :aah

:dead

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2016, 09:01:23 AM »
Got this from Gamefly. The tutorial had me doing hand to hand combat. Already scared.
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2016, 10:50:49 PM »
I was enjoing the shit out of this game, then got put into some combat arena where I got two game overs and I gave up. Haven't touched it since.

I probably will get to it and try to beat it before I justify getting Deus Ex. But combat waves of enemies  :-\

Get the back turn ability and then basically just back turn the heavies while flow-chaining the smaller ones. Easy.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2016, 10:19:58 AM »
Played a bunch this weekend. The story is there? I think I'm half way through? IDK. Is there ever a point in the story?

Combat - Not an issue. The "focus shield" lets you tank some hits. There's only been maybe a few instances where you are "locked" in an arena. All you do is just run around in a circle and do bitch hits on them, the enemy AI is dumb as bricks.

Level layout - supremely confusing. Constant times where I thought I was taking a shortcut, only to hit a deadend. Annoying. I've stopped doing most side deliveries because they're stupidly "on the buzzer" - will just look up 3 star runs on youtube and emulate them (much like the original).

Collectables - What the fuck? There's almost 600 collectables in this game. Suck my cock.

Music - No Still Alive, who cares?
fat

Sho Nuff

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2016, 01:36:03 PM »
Music - No Still Alive, who cares?

:(

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2016, 07:25:50 PM »
This game is now up on EA Origin Access (PC) Game Vault.
nat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2016, 09:21:32 PM »
Wait, Sho Nuff is white?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2018, 02:54:50 AM »
"Faith Fighter 2" by Berduu, on Flickr

I'm assuming this is from some of those peeps who mod their game to take photo mode during paused scenes. There are some more outrageously gorgeous shots of this game on this user's account.

Tasty

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2018, 11:57:46 AM »
Wait, Sho Nuff is white?

Yes.

Shit did I just light-dox him :omg

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2018, 12:36:02 PM »
You could put Sho Nuff and Frank Cifaldi in the same room and you wouldn't know the difference
fat

Tasty

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2018, 12:43:14 PM »
I would.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2018, 12:50:38 PM »
Nobody asked you, by the way
fat

Tasty

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2018, 03:45:02 PM »
You're just jealous I'm a better friend to Sho than you'll ever be.

thisismyusername

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2018, 05:01:39 PM »
Berduu, on Flickr

I'm assuming this is from some of those peeps who mod their game to take photo mode during paused scenes. There are some more outrageously gorgeous shots of this game on this user's account.

Yes. He's one of the ones behind the "Cinematic Tools" for Frostbite. Got hired by DICE themselves. So it's no wonder he's taking DICE-game shots.

Boredfrom

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2018, 12:17:56 PM »
May as well...

I played Catalyst last week, was a good game and the setting has potential (except the Cat stuff, is annoying not dramatic or poignant) but thank good I just pay 5 dollars for the game.