Author Topic: The New Star Wars 7 Plinkett Review is Out  (Read 5380 times)

213372bu

The New Star Wars 7 Plinkett Review is Out
« on: October 02, 2016, 04:11:25 PM »

Dennis

Re: The New Star Wars 7 Plinkett Review is Out
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 04:45:26 PM »
Watching now. Still the best content coming out of Red Letter Media.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 04:45:35 PM »
Anything that makes Star Wars fans unhappy, I'm for.

helios

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 05:08:51 PM »
Just finished. Some hilarious parts in it, but it's mostly shitting on people who thought the prequels were great, the unoriginality of TFA, and the Hollywood Machine.

Oh and WHITE SLAVERS.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 05:16:53 PM »
Yeah honestly its probably the worse one of these that they have done. It's like fighting an enemy that doesn't exist. There are not large swaths of people in the critic community who think the prequels were genius and that's what a large portion of the video is about. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:09:54 AM by Stoney Mason »

helios

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 05:21:40 PM »
I initially thought the entire video would be about everything except TFA.

Tasty

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 05:37:01 PM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 05:41:41 PM »
It's not bad, though they don't talk about the movie itself a great deal. I guess that's to be expected, since it's a largely competent movie, especially compared to the prequels. I really do think it's worth hammering the recent prequel revisionism though, that's something that has driven me up the wall since the Disney acquisition. It's fine to like bad things, but anyone acting like the prequels aren't objectively terrible is either being contrarian, disingenuous, or is just a flat out distinguished mentally-challenged fellow. Those things suck.

archie4208

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 05:42:07 PM »
Didn't like it.  :fbm

To be fair TFA isn't as easy to mock as the prequels so they had less material to work with.

Tasty

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 05:45:08 PM »
Yeah honestly its probably the worse one these that they have done. It's like fighting an enemy that doesn't exist. There are not large swaths of people in the critic community who think the prequels were genius and that's what a large portion of the video is about.

There's a limit to how funny it can be since TFA is a legit decent movie.

The TNG movies and prequels were solidly terrible but TFA is a different movie.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 06:22:42 PM »
I'll watch it, but I never saw the point since the movie was solid. Except I guess for the criticism that it's A New Hope again which I always found pretty lame considering that maybe thats the point? I mean its a reboot and a restarting of the saga it kind of makes since that it would riff hard on that movie. Of course everytime someone tells me this they act like they are so clever for coming up with this jab against this popular movie.

Though I guess there's also the "Rey is too great" argument.

Though I have seen some "the prequels are ok sentiments" which usually add "if they weren't Star Wars people would like them" nonsense. Those need to be curbed out of existence.

helios

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 07:19:59 PM »
They could have done more with Finn, especially since he's an ex-Stormtrooper, but they just let him crack-wise like a good negro.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 12:02:25 AM »
This is good!  The initial audience for this review is WAY bigger than for the first plinkett stuff, so you have all kinds of different expectations this time around.  I find the disappointment kind of baffling.  Anyone super let down by this probably takes this shit too seriously (or prequel loving weirdos)

There absolutely has been this weird wave of prequel nostalgia/"They're are just misunderstood" type shit going around. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 12:26:24 AM by Let's Cyber »

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 02:06:36 AM »
I thought it was pretty good, but I'd rather have a more focused Plinkett review with "deep anal-sys" on some of the faults of the film.  :yeshrug

Like, deep deconstructions of scenes are some of my favorite parts of the Plinkett reviews, would've been nice to have a few of those rather than talk about the   :hans1 prequel apologist resurgence since his last review.
I would too, but this gets to the heart of it...
There's a limit to how funny it can be since TFA is a legit decent movie.

The TNG movies and prequels were solidly terrible but TFA is a different movie.
This was never going to be a movie deconstruction on the level of the prequel movies.  You can see in the HitB that Mike really enjoyed the movie overall.  The bullshit surrounding Star Wars fandom, the sale of LucasFilm, Disney milking the franchise and the prequel apologists are much more ripe for criticism. 

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 03:16:42 AM »
Not gonna watch it cause I only like to reaffirm my views that TFA is great.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 04:35:55 AM »
Not gonna watch it cause I only like to reaffirm my views that TFA is great.

I'm only 40 minutes in so far, but it's mainly poking fun at Prequel alchemists who are retroactively trying to turn shit into gold, and some not-entirely-ironic grandstanding about how RLM created a new type of criticism that has spread, which I could do without. I like those guys, I want them to make a living doing what they do, but Mr. Plinkett's appeal is limited and pretty much nothing has ever topped the continental ass-ripping they gave the Prequels.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 07:04:50 AM »
It was okay, but not as good as the old ones.

I did really like their alternate story pitch idea for Ep 7.  That would have been great, I think.
MMA

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 01:06:04 PM »
Those names for other movie review channels had me crying. Each one kept getting more outlandish. (@ around 14:30)

Tasty

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 01:11:54 PM »
Thought the review was great except for the ring theory segment which I couldn't care less about and went on for way too long (plus it already covered ground he had in the Episode II review.)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 07:40:01 PM »
Thought the review was great except for the ring theory segment which I couldn't care less about and went on for way too long (plus it already covered ground he had in the Episode II review.)

Actually, it went on so long that I assumed it would just be the totality of the review. I'm relieved to hear it will end when I get back to watching this 84-minute opus.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 09:31:36 PM »
Can someone please explain to me the appeal of these videos

I watched a little bit of the Episode I review and thought it was terribly unfunny.  Should I stick it out and watch them all and see if I end up liking it?
püp

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 09:40:17 PM »
Can someone please explain to me the appeal of these videos

I watched a little bit of the Episode I review and thought it was terribly unfunny.  Should I stick it out and watch them all and see if I end up liking it?

The thing is watching them now doesn't have the same impact because its a given. Like they won the war. And by such a large margin that its now pretty much taken for fact that everybody always felt this way. But it wasn't always that way. And when they dropped it was this passionate, exhaustive, well thought out destruction of those prequels. The funny partly came from the plinkett character but mainly from how utterly and totally devastating they were to the prequels and the pompousness of George Lucas. So funny is always going to be subjective but they are still good videos to articulate specifically why those prequels were really bad. I've watched them dozens of time at this point.

It's partly why I didn't like the new video so much. The old ones did the job so well, that a new one rehashing alot of the same topic just isn't necessary.

Tasty

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2016, 10:04:13 PM »
The Plinkett reviews are meant to be comedy but outside a couple moments I can't remember them really being that funny.

They're long-form video essays deconstructing various movies and discussing actual plot and character isssues with little if any nitpicking (unlike most YouTube "reviews.") It's difficult to imagine a time before his Phantom Menace review, which solidified so much of what everyone thought of the prequels but couldn't adequately explain. The segment asking various people to describe original trilogy characters vs. prequel trilogy characters was genius.

Personally I wouldn't suggest watching Plinkett reviews for comedy or humor. They're entertaining but more useful as film critiques than anything.

El Babua

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2016, 12:25:52 AM »
Plinkett's Titanic review is great great example of the above.

Cop Dog and Baby's Day Out review are still funny af.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2016, 12:39:41 AM »
45 minutes in. Still talking about the prequels.
que

Tasty

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2016, 01:13:32 AM »
Plinkett's Titanic review is great great example of the above.

Cop Dog and Baby's Day Out review are still funny af.

Titanic review is great because you can tell Mike likes the film a lot but it's still a great teardown of the ways it sometimes doesn't work.

Also yeah, Cop Dog and Baby's Day Out are pure comedy. They still have some good critiques, but it's not too useful considering the kind of movies they are.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2016, 01:41:21 AM »
Finished it.

Maybe it was a large lunch, or possibly just Old Guy Afternoon Syndrome, but I fell asleep for the last 20 minutes of it, so I technically haven't seen it all, but there it is.

RLM managed to show EVEN MORE re-used themes and scenes than I'd been aware of. They're right: Disney did play it a little too safe. Lucas /did/ try and make new movies with technology that was pretty stunning in that time.

Too bad he stole it from Kerry Conran and then didn't even give him a nod, the same way he stole all of Naboo's exteriors from Dinotopia books he'd been reading to his kids.

I also enjoyed RLM's salient  points about how Star Wars was this amazing, groundbreaking thing, and then was nearly immediately overshadowed by Empire Strikes Back. It must have been a bitter pill for Lucas, and an intimidating obstacle that he never really overcame.