Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 944804 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #11580 on: August 05, 2022, 07:31:15 PM »
Strange, what's type or model? I remember I had to tinker with my settings to get hem right but once I did everything looked glorious.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #11581 on: August 05, 2022, 07:49:25 PM »
C1

The more I play, I guess it does look a little better with mClassic on. It takes some getting used to the smoothing.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11582 on: August 05, 2022, 07:58:39 PM »
C1

The more I play, I guess it does look a little better with mClassic on. It takes some getting used to the smoothing.
Remember to set the RGB range on the TV and in the Switch settings to limited.
For some reason it looks washed out otherwise.

The HDTV test guy also had some good settings for PS5 that you can try.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11583 on: August 05, 2022, 09:09:23 PM »
C1

Like I said before, it depends on the game for how well the effect works and whether or not you're running the Switch at 720P. 

I use a C1 too.  Hopefully it will be more noticeable to you with further tweeking.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #11584 on: August 05, 2022, 11:02:03 PM »
C1

Like I said before, it depends on the game for how well the effect works and whether or not you're running the Switch at 720P. 

I use a C1 too.  Hopefully it will be more noticeable to you with further tweeking.

I actually ended up settling on switch outputting 1080p. So it's not doing anything besides throwing some AA and sharpening on the picture.

Going from 720p using its own upscaling was too blurry, especially in the text fonts. Too much smoothing. The texts just looked bad whereas with switch outputting 1080p going through mClassic the text was sharper. And since jrpgs are like 90% text reading...

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #11585 on: August 11, 2022, 09:06:16 PM »
Everyone knows I love Splatoon, but Im a bit underwhelmed with the Splatoon 3 direct.

To be fair, I felt that was with S2, that at launch felt like Splatoon 1.5.

Also, Marina is still GOAT
:O

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11586 on: August 13, 2022, 01:04:11 PM »

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11587 on: August 13, 2022, 01:04:32 PM »

:heh
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11588 on: August 15, 2022, 01:43:43 PM »
http://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1556738868421939200

Somehow didn’t even know Bayonetta 3 was a thing.

archnemesis

« Reply #11589 on: August 15, 2022, 02:24:20 PM »
Somehow didn’t even know Bayonetta 3 was a thing.
It was announced back in 2017. It's easy to forget about it.

I barely touched Bayonetta 2 so I'm not excited about it, or the other two games in that trailer. The next game I pick up will probably be Live A Live.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11590 on: August 18, 2022, 11:40:32 PM »

These look nice- definitely going to get a set.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Tuckers Law

« Reply #11592 on: August 24, 2022, 02:38:24 PM »
I was prepared to say that Advance Wars being delayed indefinitely was the worst thing to happen in 2022, but then comes this.

Occam

« Reply #11593 on: August 24, 2022, 10:19:07 PM »

These look nice- definitely going to get a set.

This product is mainly designed for women and children with smaller hands, making their gaming experiences easier and more comfortable even after playing for extended periods of time.

The grips on the back make the Nintendo Switch feel like a normal gamepad in handheld mode. There are also two customizable buttons on the left and right back. Unfortunately, the controller lacks wireless, gyroscope, accelerometer, motion IR camera, HD vibration and wireless communication.

https://www.superpixel.com/article/180724/hori-announced-grip-controller-fit-nintendo-switch-small-handed-gamers

No reason for this if you have a Split Pad Pro.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11594 on: August 24, 2022, 10:22:45 PM »
All the stuff you highlighted is the same as the split pad pro.  It's just a slightly smaller design.
ど助平

Occam

« Reply #11595 on: August 25, 2022, 02:18:39 AM »
Yes, exactly. If Split Pad Pro already feels perfect for you (as it does for me), this has no advantage over it.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11596 on: August 25, 2022, 09:45:14 AM »
Unless you have tiny baby hands. :uguu
©@©™

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #11597 on: August 25, 2022, 10:16:27 PM »
Margs

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11598 on: August 25, 2022, 10:46:19 PM »
Yes, exactly. If Split Pad Pro already feels perfect for you (as it does for me), this has no advantage over it.

I'm hoping it might be just small enough to fit in a regular case.  Also might be more comfortable.  Dunno- will give it a try!
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #11599 on: August 26, 2022, 04:02:26 AM »
Unless you have tiny baby hands. :uguu

I have big hands

What

Tasty

« Reply #11600 on: August 28, 2022, 06:29:33 PM »
The completely unreliable 4chan rumor mill is abuzz with possible GC game announcements (F-Zero, WW, TP, Prime). Supposedly gonna happen in October. On the off chance it's true, fucking Mega64 called it again.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #11601 on: August 29, 2022, 04:41:49 AM »
I hope the news ticker is right. I still got a copy of Devil's Third.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11602 on: August 29, 2022, 06:17:35 AM »
The completely unreliable 4chan rumor mill is abuzz with possible GC game announcements (F-Zero, WW, TP, Prime). Supposedly gonna happen in October. On the off chance it's true, fucking Mega64 called it again.
Could be, it was always a matter of time before they ported over WW and TP.

Prime I have my doubts about. On a podcast one of the former Retro Studios devs explained that it was easy to port Prime 1 -3 over to the Wii because the architecture was nearly the same as the GameCube.
He said that he had doubts that the work to bring over those games to the Switch would be doable let alone worth it without a big loss in visual effects (some effects were already missing from the Trilogy re-release).

F-Zero GX seems like another difficult game to remaster with the FMV's and all but Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio did release a Monkey Ball remaster so maybe they were able to expand on that as I recall Monkey Ball 2 and F-Zero GX used the same engine back in the day.

As for release dates, Splatoon 3 is coming out in September, Mario + Rabbits drops October along with Bayonetta 3. That leaves Pokemon in November and Advance Wars 1+2 still without a release date.
I expect 1 or 2 additional games to drop this year and new Switch games to drop at a regular pace well into 2023. The follow-up to the Switch probably won't release until 2024 at this point.

2023 is probably going to be a big year if Nintendo drops a new Fire Emblem (Q2), Metroid Prime 4 (Q3), Mario Odyssey 2 and Zelda BOTW2 (Q4).
In between those releases there could be anything from an F-Zero GX remaster to Splatoon 3 and Xenoblade 3 DLC.
🤴

james

« Reply #11603 on: August 29, 2022, 10:59:30 AM »
LOL gamecube games, we're going to get 10 GameBoy games from 1989-1994 and you will enjoy them

Svejk

« Reply #11604 on: August 29, 2022, 11:08:36 AM »
I would not put it past Nintender to give us the GC versions of TP and WW instead of the HD versions.   :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11605 on: August 29, 2022, 01:47:50 PM »
GC emulation is also a possibility.

That's basically what Super Mario Sunshine was.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11606 on: August 29, 2022, 05:07:17 PM »
I would not put it past Nintender to give us the GC versions of TP and WW instead of the HD versions.   :doge

I can't see them doing this when they can very easily just port up the two Wii U games and sell a trillion copies for $60 each.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 07:40:53 PM by bork »
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #11607 on: August 29, 2022, 05:36:05 PM »

I can't see them doing this when they can very easily just poured up the two Wii U games and sell a trillion copies for $60 each.
Been waiting years for them to do this... It's baffling they haven't yet.

Tasty

« Reply #11608 on: August 29, 2022, 06:04:55 PM »

Hmm, tough choice between the Swift Sail and quicker Triforce quest, vs. the original non-bloomed artistic style... hmm...

TP HD included the GC version so Lazy Nintendo™ will probably just port the Wii U version anyways if that's the goal lol. They have Weeooo to Switch conversions down to a science these days.

Tasty

« Reply #11609 on: August 29, 2022, 06:08:35 PM »

I can't see them doing this when they can very easily just poured up the two Wii U games and sell a trillion copies for $60 each.

Nintendo has had an unspoken Disney Vault-like approach to their classic titles ever since the perceived failure of the Wii and Wii U Virtual Consoles.

Typically if there's some kind of anniversary of Mario or Zelda you'll see some ports. Honestly celebrating a game series' anniversart with a smattering of ports makes way more sense than forcing a (single) new game out before it's ready (looking at you, Sega).

Tuckers Law

« Reply #11610 on: August 29, 2022, 06:28:47 PM »
I will never not be angry that I spent money (quite a lot!) on Virtual Console games only for Nintendo to deliberately disallow me to carry them over to my Switch.  Motherfuckers

Tasty

« Reply #11611 on: August 29, 2022, 06:38:37 PM »
I was pissed too, mostly back around the Wii U transition when the system transfer failed for me and there was no account system. :maf I said never again will I pay per single ROMs from Nintendo

NSO got around that. Damn them and their smartness :aah

Svejk

« Reply #11612 on: August 29, 2022, 07:54:00 PM »

Nintendo has had an unspoken Disney Vault-like approach to their classic titles ever since the perceived failure of the Wii and Wii U Virtual Consoles.

Typically if there's some kind of anniversary of Mario or Zelda you'll see some ports. Honestly celebrating a game series' anniversart with a smattering of ports makes way more sense than forcing a (single) new game out before it's ready (looking at you, Sega).
Seems they really dropped the ball this past Zelda 35th Anniversary.. Just seemed perfect timing to drop TP/WW ports.  Soooo ready to pack up my WiiUuuu.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #11613 on: August 29, 2022, 08:35:52 PM »
Real OGs keep their Wii U hooked up for Devil’s Third  :snob
Margs

Tasty

« Reply #11614 on: August 29, 2022, 09:21:53 PM »
The Legend of Zelda

<1 year>

The Adventure of Link

<4 years>

A Link to the Past

<7 years>

Ocarina of Time

<2 years>

Majora's Mask

<2 years>

The Wind Waker

<4 years>

Twilight Princess

<5 years>

Skyward Sword

<4.5 years>

Breath of the Wild

<6+ years?>

Breath of the Wild 2

:thinking This game has gotta be fucking massive or something brehs.

Tasty

« Reply #11615 on: August 29, 2022, 09:22:45 PM »
Also Christ contextualizing it that way no wonder literally everyone went fuckin nutso for OoT

james

« Reply #11616 on: August 29, 2022, 10:14:40 PM »
That list is missing quite a few Zelda games like Links Awakening and 4 Swords and such

I just hope at least 50% of the BOTW2 map is Koroks.

Rock? Korok. Tree? Korok? Horse? Fucking korok

Svejk

« Reply #11617 on: August 29, 2022, 11:32:08 PM »
With all this time, there better be a shit ton of actual dungeons.

Tasty

« Reply #11618 on: August 29, 2022, 11:52:48 PM »
That list is missing quite a few Zelda games like Links Awakening and 4 Swords and such

I just hope at least 50% of the BOTW2 map is Koroks.

Rock? Korok. Tree? Korok? Horse? Fucking korok

Handheld Zeldas have always been the B team or outsourced (Oracle Games, Minish Cap), with the exception of possible GDC-evidence-backed examples Spirit Tracks and Link Between Worlds.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11619 on: August 30, 2022, 08:16:47 AM »

Seems they really dropped the ball this past Zelda 35th Anniversary.. Just seemed perfect timing to drop TP/WW ports.  Soooo ready to pack up my WiiUuuu.

I don't get it either.  You would have thought we'd have gotten those two games ported up and maybe some kind of compilation like the recent Mario one, too.  Instead we got a Wii port-up of Skyward Sword and a Game & Watch. 

Would really like to see A Link Between Worlds get a Switch port too.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11620 on: August 30, 2022, 08:20:19 AM »
Did anyone check out the Splatoon 3 demo?  I didn't have much time to, but it looked pretty nice and has possibly some of the best visuals on the console to date.

Saw lots of creepy furry fetish shit in the player comment balloons.  Like way too much of it.
:jeanluc

Also saw a character named "RGT85" with a comment balloon saying to check out his channel.  Reported it as spam.  :cop
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #11621 on: August 30, 2022, 09:25:36 AM »

I don't get it either.  You would have thought we'd have gotten those two games ported up and maybe some kind of compilation like the recent Mario one, too.  Instead we got a Wii port-up of Skyward Sword and a Game & Watch. 

Would really like to see A Link Between Worlds get a Switch port too.
I would be so down for that.  I never got a chance to play A Link Between Worlds since I never had a 3DS.  If they ported that, and gave The Oracle series and Minish Cap the LA treatment, I would be proud to call the Switch a solid Zelda system.  And of course the TP/WW combo included.  ...oh man, I'd finally LOVE the Switch then.  I had so much more fun with LA than I thought I would.  It's still the best Switch game I've played.

Nintendo.. please stop being bitches and do something...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 09:29:41 AM by Svejk »

paprikastaude

« Reply #11622 on: August 30, 2022, 11:07:48 AM »
If they ported that, and gave The Oracle series and Minish Cap the LA treatment, I would be proud to call the Switch a solid Zelda system. 

:gaas

The Minish Cap spritework is so much better than whatever they did with LA. And unlike LA, MC doesn't need QOL improvements.

Svejk

« Reply #11623 on: August 30, 2022, 11:58:48 AM »
If they ported that, and gave The Oracle series and Minish Cap the LA treatment, I would be proud to call the Switch a solid Zelda system. 

The Minish Cap spritework is so much better than whatever they did with LA. And unlike LA, MC doesn't need QOL improvements.
I don't dissagree about the awesome Capcom spritework, but I totally think the scaling effect would be tits with that LA 2.5D art direction.  I'd rather they do that than attempt to "re-draw" it like SOR4 style...  :-\

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11624 on: August 30, 2022, 12:26:51 PM »

I don't dissagree about the awesome Capcom spritework, but I totally think the scaling effect would be tits with that LA 2.5D art direction.  I'd rather they do that than attempt to "re-draw" it like SOR4 style...  :-\

Naw, I'm right there with you- they should absolutely give the Oracle games and Minish cap that LA remake treatment.  Bring them all on with that engine- make it a new collection.
:lawd
ど助平

Tuckers Law

« Reply #11625 on: August 30, 2022, 04:06:44 PM »

Nonsense, you enjoy being reminded how much each rupee is worth?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11626 on: August 30, 2022, 05:13:51 PM »
Breath of the Wild

<6+ years?>

Breath of the Wild 2

:thinking This game has gotta be fucking massive or something brehs.
They didn't start development on the sequel to BOTW until after March 2017 when the DLC of BOTW was released.
So that's 5 years now. But they also worked on Age of Calamity, Skyward Sword, Link's Awakening, Zelda G&W and the cancelled Netflix TV show.

So if you remove a year of COVID and count from 2017, BOTW2 has been in development for about 4 years.

Don't forget that in between A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time they also did a bunch of other stuff like Sattelaview Zelda games and Link's Awakening.
Star Fox 64, Mario 64 and Zelda 64 were sort of being worked on at the same time between 1994 and 1998 but at some point they decided to finish up Mario 64 and the Nintendo 64 hardware first and paused the other projects.
So OOT's development was about 2.5 years and I suppose about 18 months of that was spend on the game we now know as OOT.

Twilight Princess also wasn't in development for that long, the game was finished about 9 months before the Wii launched and they spend a year working on The Wind Waker 2 before scrapping it but they also made Four Swords GC and Tetra's Trackers between TWW and TP.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #11627 on: August 30, 2022, 05:21:16 PM »
I wasn't talking development time necessarily, those years are based on releases. Ideas and concepts are known to be tossed around as soon as the prior game is released. Coding for BotW2 didn't start until the DLC was done but there's certainly prepro stuff they did before that.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11628 on: August 31, 2022, 03:16:31 PM »
I wasn't talking development time necessarily, those years are based on releases. Ideas and concepts are known to be tossed around as soon as the prior game is released. Coding for BotW2 didn't start until the DLC was done but there's certainly prepro stuff they did before that.
You underestimate Nintendo's ability to twiddle their thumbs and do nothing while they are pre-occupied elsewhere in the company.
It's one of the reasons Factor 5 and Monster Games broke up with them. Nintendo simply couldn't decide on what they had to do next.

Most people think that once Nintendo finishes Mario Kart 8 or BOTW or whatever, they start working on Mario Kart 9 or BOTW2 right away but that's not how the company works.

That's the biggest difference between Nintendo and subsidiaries like Intelligent Systems, The Pokemon Company and HAL Labs.
They do have that continuous development cycle.
🤴

james

« Reply #11629 on: August 31, 2022, 03:28:43 PM »
 The Pokemon Company releases a game, takes a 7 month vacation, copies and pastes some stuff, and then releases the sequel, at least from what I see in their trailers.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11630 on: August 31, 2022, 03:44:16 PM »
The Pokemon Company releases a game, takes a 7 month vacation, copies and pastes some stuff, and then releases the sequel, at least from what I see in their trailers.
Nah, they're just way behind on tech. They did a presentation on how they moved their assets to AWS which allowed them to quickly develop Arceus, Shining Pearl/Diamond and Scarlet/Violet as well as store over 1000 assets.

Apparently they were using local servers before that or something.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 03:49:21 PM by Nintex »
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11631 on: August 31, 2022, 08:31:18 PM »
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/a-nintendo-direct-featuring-wind-waker-and-twilight-princess-is-reportedly-coming-in-september/

A Nintendo Direct presentation focused on Zelda announcements will reportedly be held in September.

That’s according to GamesBeat managing editor Mike Minotti and Giant Bomb reporter Jeff Grubb, who were speaking on a podcast this week.

“To be clear guys, the one thing we are very, very sure is being announced at this Direct are the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess ports for Switch,” Minotti said.

And yet we have heard that, and we’ve heard other things, again Metroid Prime remaster, that sounds like it’s got to be announced at something like this.

:putin
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #11632 on: August 31, 2022, 11:03:42 PM »
 :social2

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #11633 on: September 01, 2022, 07:24:39 AM »
At some point the stopped clock has got to be right
Spud

Svejk

« Reply #11634 on: September 01, 2022, 12:08:24 PM »
Question is, are they gonna drop the two seperately for $60 a pop, or bundle the 2 into a $60 pack; physical only, limited time only digi horseshit thing like they did Mario 3Deeznutz All-stars? 
Personally I can suck it up and do the $60 each shit for the children, but the limited time "we think we're disney vaulting cool to create scarcity" dick move, I think I could currently handle this round.  The thirst for Zelda on the Switch piece is trill.  Damn you Nintendo.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11635 on: September 01, 2022, 04:28:44 PM »
People are coming up with all sorts of theories with coupons, cheaper digital versions etc.

We already know the answer.
Zelda TWW $60
Zelda TP $60

But retailers will drop it to $50 or $45 or so, like they did with Skyward Sword.
What I can see however, is Nintendo 'sweetening' the deal by including something else like they did with Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, so TP + Link's Crossbow Training or reprinting the Wolf Link Amiibo.
I still haven't started Skyward Sword Switch so I'm not sure if I would buy these. I did 100% runs of TWW and TP in the twilight years of the Wii U.

Anyhow, Grubb's track record on these things is pretty good but he never has the most exciting rumors.

$60 for the TWW remake is definitely worth it if you didn't get it on Wii U. The TP remaster was just an upressed port they outsourced.
🤴

james

« Reply #11636 on: September 01, 2022, 08:54:40 PM »
You imbeciles don't understand Nintendo at all.

With Sony just raising the price of the PS5 Nintendo can charge 70 and blame inflation

Tasty

« Reply #11637 on: September 01, 2022, 09:34:04 PM »
If Switch 2 is 4K capable, games will have a $69.99 MSRP. Straight up.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #11638 on: September 01, 2022, 10:31:27 PM »
Are you ready for Xenoblade Chronicles X port for $69.99.

Add $14 more for the ammibo that unlocks fast travel.

Tasty

« Reply #11639 on: September 01, 2022, 10:52:41 PM »
Are you ready for Xenoblade Chronicles X port for $69.99.

Add $14 more for the ammibo that unlocks fast travel.

Kinda sucks Sony and Microsoft went and raised the MSRP for current generation games based on wafer-thin justifications. Oh well, $70's the standard now/again, guess we gotta live with it. :idont