Author Topic: GPD-WIN Pocket PC Series  (Read 10721 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
GPD-WIN Pocket PC Series
« on: November 03, 2016, 02:07:53 PM »
I recently ordered the GPD-WIN, which is a pocket PC made for gaming.  It can run a wide range of emulators from the NES to the Game Cube and Wii, as well as PC games.  There are even some modern titles, like Fallout 4, that run at playable framerates!  The GPD Win has an Intel Atom x7-Z8700 quadcore Cherry Trail processor, 4GB of RAM, and 64GB of eMMC 4.5.1 storage on board.  Memory can be expanded using micro SD or using a flash drive in the USB 3.0 port.  It also has a fan with a physical switch for varying speeds.  The fan noise is pretty low.

Here's a good review/breakdown of the unit.  This reviewer ended up overheating his unit, doing some benchmark tests, and fried the keyboard.  GPD offered to replace it for him.

My impressions:

-Could not get over how small this thing is.  I've used a GPD XD before and watched lots of videos, but I was still floored that I had such a small, fully-functional PC in my hand.  Just so cool!

-Very surprised by the build quality of this thing and even the packaging that it came in.  It doesn't feel like something that cheap and reminds me of a product that a big gaming company would release.

-The d-pad is a little mushy but seems OK enough for most games. The should buttons feel pretty good and controlling the mouse using the analog stick and the shoulder buttons works really, really well.  It's also nice to have touchscreen functionality, too.  The keyboard is fine for what it is, but forget about doing any real typing on it or playing games via kb/m.  Should be obvious that if you want to do that you'd want to plug some in, though.  :) 

-Where the d-pad falters is with fighters.  I'm having trouble pulling off special moves consistently and you have to press hard to make sure motions are registered.  Maybe it just needs to be broken in.  But the good news is that the left analog nub works amazingly well.  I usually detest using analog sticks to control fighters, but I had no trouble with this one.  It almost reminds me of a NeoGeo CD pad, just without the clickiness.

-This unit is roughly the size of a 3DS XL but is much more comfortable to hold and use.  The 3DS XL always tended to cramp my hands...this does not.

-Had the Intel HD graphics crash on me, several times in a row, when Steam was running and I tried using Windows search.  I restarted explorer.exe and it was fine again.  I spent a good 30+ minutes messing with SFV and it never crashed.  Played with the fan on.  Also noting that I disabled the touch service before playing it.  That's an issue on the Surface and it is possible that it may crash some other games if it's not turned off.

I'm also nerding out so hard realizing that you could hook this up to a TV or monitor, plug in or pair it with controllers, and use it as a micro-console.  Who needs the NES Classic Mini now?

Hardware pics:
(Note that the units that are shipping now have the Intel Z-8700, not the 8750 -only initial units had it- but from testing, people are actually finding that the 8700 works better!)

The USB port is now 3.0.  "TF Card" is micro SD.  And it also now uses USB Type C for charging.

Games I've tested so far:

ULTRA Street Fighter IV: Will run above 60 FPS at 1280x720 if you turn the background detail to low, which means no backgrounds.  If you use a lower resolution, you can turn it on high and it will run great.  At 640x400, the game gave me a benchmark well above 60 fps and I could run the game with more settings on high.  The lower resolution isn't so noticeable when you're playing.  Looks 1000 times better than SSF4 on 3DS. :)

Street Fighter V: Doesn't run well enough on this to be really playable.  Kind of amazing that it DOES run, though.  Even at the lowest possible resolution -200xsomething- couldn't even tell because the text was too 

Skullgirls: Turn backgrounds to 2D and the game will run perfectly at 1280x720.  Looks absolutely gorgeous on the screen!  Much, much better-looking than the Vita version and the load times are insanely fast.  A standout game on the GPD WIN to me, so far.

DOA5 Last Round: Looks gorgeous, but...nope.  Couldn't get it to run at 60 FPS and the game won't let you go lower than 1024x768 for some reason, nor can you run that setting in full screen.

Saint's Row The Third: Wouldn't launch.  Have read there's problems with it on Windows 10.  It works just fine on my Surface, though...

Melty Blood Actress Again: Current Code: Runs perfectly at 1280x720.

Mercenary Kings: Runs perfectly at 1280x720.

Shantae: Risky's Revenge: Runs perfectly at 1280x720.

The King Of Fighters XIII: Runs perfectly at 1280x720.  Just want to add that I couldn't run this game this well on my older ASUS tablets from just a few years ago.  Pretty awesome seeing it on the small screen in such a perfect state!

Pac-Man Championship Edition 2: Runs poorly.  Unless I missed something, there are no configuration options.  WTF?

Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition: Runs perfectly at 1280x720.  Like Skullgirls, this is a standout title visually.  Pops off the screen.

Trine: Seemed to run well with v-sync off and with graphic detail at medium at 1280x720.  I want to try it again with lower detail settings and see if I can get it a bit smoother.

Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast: Runs great at 1280x720.  Noticed a little bit of stutter here and there, but otherwise seems to be running at 60 FPS.  (I really need to put FRAPS or something similar on here!)

Resident Evil 5: Runs at 25-30 FPS (avg 30 fps) with settings on low at 1280x720, per the benchmark test.  At 800x600, it runs well above 30 FPS and gets framerates in the 30s-50s.  It looks great this way but is 4:3, so will stick with 1280x720 instead.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 09:56:03 AM by bork »
ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
Re: GPD-WIN: A 3DS XL-Sized Gaming Pocket PC
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 02:09:58 PM »
Gabe Boy  :lawd :gaben :rejoice

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 02:12:27 PM »
Is the location of the power button an issue?
©ZH

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 02:13:06 PM »
Is the location of the power button an issue?

Nope, doesn't get in the way.  Plus you have to hold it down for a moment to turn it off.  IIRC one of the controller settings disables it, too.
ど助平

Shuri

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 02:36:35 PM »
Looks neat, but those overheating and constant crashing problems...  :-\

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 02:56:27 PM »
Looks neat, but those overheating and constant crashing problems...  :-\

Gotta find out how widespread it really is.  Only a few people have units right now.

I had the Intel HD driver crash several times when I initially started using the unit...and that was it.  No other issues.  The people experiencing overheating and crashing seem to be the people trying to mess with the bios settings and overclocking it.
ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 03:12:55 PM »
mods to help, i think shill account

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 08:40:53 AM »
Do you mind giving some high-level details on emulation performance? Specifically curious about N64/PS1 or higher. Also what's the price? Thanks!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 12:13:38 PM »
Do you mind giving some high-level details on emulation performance? Specifically curious about N64/PS1 or higher. Also what's the price? Thanks!

Sure, will post impressions when I get there- Haven't tried any PS1 or N64 emulation stuff yet.  Been years since I tried anything apart from arcade roms.  I paid $330 from mine from Geekbuying.  Not sure if anyone in the U.S. has them for sale yet.

Here's some videos of emulation on other (more powerful) platforms in action.  I believe these were tested on an 8750 unit and performance should be better on the 8700 models.

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 05:14:46 PM »

:leon
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 09:31:58 PM »
Superhot runs great on this thing at lower resolutions.
:phil
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 09:57:17 PM by bork pls »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 09:57:04 PM »
Haydee runs pretty much perfectly at native res.  There's your system seller.  :doge
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 10:32:40 PM »
Bumping this to note that the GPD folks released a controller firmware update that greatly improves the d-pad response times.  I can play fighting games with the d-pad now.  Huge deal for this thing.

But if anyone is interested in one, I'd wait until next month when an improved batch gets released, that is supposed to be using better quality parts.
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 11:26:08 PM »
Bumping this to note that the GPD folks released a controller firmware update that greatly improves the d-pad response times.  I can play fighting games with the d-pad now.  Huge deal for this thing.

But if anyone is interested in one, I'd wait until next month when an improved batch gets released, that is supposed to be using better quality parts.

How is the heating? What is the "newest" titles it can run? The resolution a huge problem (like the 3DS's) or is it able to be looked past?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 07:41:48 AM »

How is the heating? What is the "newest" titles it can run? The resolution a huge problem (like the 3DS's) or is it able to be looked past?

It can get hot, but nothing too bad.  Some tweaks are available to help with this. 

As for what it runs, check Youtube.  There's tons of videos available, like these:

ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 10:03:35 PM »
 :o
ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 12:18:43 AM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 03:09:53 PM »
Although if anything reminds of the Vita...it's the Switch.  :doge
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 08:01:09 PM »
How's Unity authoring tool look on that screen?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 11:21:50 PM »
No idea.

There's a larger model coming out this year, however it doesn't have game controls built in and is essentially a small laptop with a much better keyboard.
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 11:07:03 AM »
No idea.

There's a larger model coming out this year, however it doesn't have game controls built in and is essentially a small laptop with a much better keyboard.

You got a link for that bigger one? I could just hook up my DS3 or Steam controller to that depending on how large and how powerful and heating/cooling is.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 11:49:50 AM »
Found it...they're calling it the GPD Pocket.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-pocket-7-0-umpc-laptop-ubuntu-or-win-10-os-laptop--2#/

I was all over the WIN because it functions as a handheld.  Don't want to have to plug in or pair up a controller or I'd be all over this.  (I have a Surface Pro 4 for that anyway)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:55:49 AM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 11:50:30 AM »
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-pocket-7-0-umpc-laptop-ubuntu-or-win-10-os-laptop--2#/

edit: lol beat to it

edit 2: Skidmark who occasionally posts on the forum just got one. He seems to like it so far. I mean the original not the laptop one.

thisismyusername

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 11:52:38 AM »

That's hot. If it fixes the heating issues (which is why I wouldn't consider a Win even if it does have an integrated controller), I'd be all over it. I don't want to burn my hands off running something like Doom on a mini-laptop.

Skidmark

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 12:51:46 PM »
Yup, just got mine last night. Perfect for Steam In-Home Streaming and emulation. It took only a couple off days for it to get here with DHL. The company even bullshited the commercial invoice even though i didn't ask them to. They wrote that it didn't cost more than $50, otherwise customs and taxes would add at least a $100 to the total cost. The only thing that i struggled with was the screen protector film, it came with no instructions so i ended up throwing them away after a failed attempt.

10/10 with rise.

http://i.imgur.com/rlsBBYF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hICOXVc.png

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 12:56:07 PM »

That's hot. If it fixes the heating issues (which is why I wouldn't consider a Win even if it does have an integrated controller), I'd be all over it. I don't want to burn my hands off running something like Doom on a mini-laptop.

It's fine and the newer revisions are supposed to be better.  It gets too hot for the people who fucked around in the bios and overlclocked it and all that shit.
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2017, 05:50:13 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2017, 10:25:05 PM »
Some people have been sent prototype GPD WIN 2 units to test, including The Phawx.  He's been testing various emulators and games and has a bunch of stuff up his channel.

Tekken 7

He didn't hit 60 FPS, BUT he also ran this at 720P and didn't turn down resolution scaling more and enable dynamic resolution.  Am confident this will run at 60 FPS with those on.  Especially at a lower resolution.  That pretty much means that Street Fighter V should also be able to run at 60 FPS on here, AKA I will absolutely buy one of these now.

Overwatch:

On the GPD WIN 1, this runs up to 30 FPS.  He hits over 60 FPS at points while playing!

Vanquish

Super Mario Galaxy 2:

Super-impressive.  GPD WIN 2 seems to be able to handle PS2 and Game Cube/Wii emulation really, really well.  He also has a video of Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World for PS3 running at around 40 FPS.  Crazy.

The final units should also be improved on from these protos.  There's no release date yet but people are speculating fall 2018.  GPD is also set to release an updated GPD XD unit (The Android version of this) early next year.  I may see about selling my WIN off and picking up an XD+ for emu stuff, then will get the WIN 2 later on.  It's probably gonna be pretty pricey at $600-$700- Pretty big price hike over the WIN 1, which is around $400.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 10:29:52 PM by Dos Locos Tacos »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2017, 10:57:55 PM »
ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2017, 08:27:04 AM »
I kinda want one, but my aversion to handhelds will kick in.  :larry

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2018, 10:27:43 AM »
Impressive!

ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2018, 10:41:02 AM »
 :o

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2018, 10:05:23 AM »
Had a GPD WIN 2 pre-ordered from Geekbuying for a few months and they've been giving me the run-around in regards to when they're getting stock.  Monday I got an email saying it would be shipped within the week, then Tuesday night I got a message saying they have no idea when, that there's manufacturing issues, etc.  Right.  So I canceled that order and went to Aliexpress...and got a unit shipped from GPD directly that is already coming tomorrow.   :doge

So if you're interested in a WIN 2, make sure to get it from this link:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/New-GPD-WIN-2-6-Inch-Handheld-Gaming-Laptop-Intel-Core-m3-7Y30-Windows-10-System/1281164_32884328950.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.11.535d7029ZBgUYs

There are some units for sale on Amazon right now, but those are with jacked-up prices for $899 each.  And then one on Newegg for $1700+.  :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2018, 10:09:50 AM »
Time for some portable DB Fighterz (with a GOOD dpad), Tekken 7, and mutha-fuckin' STREET FIGHTER V. :hyper

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2018, 10:19:45 AM »

ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2018, 11:07:08 AM »
SWITCH ANNIHILATED.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2018, 02:55:34 PM »
I got my GPD Win 2 last week and have been enjoying it so far.

The most demanding game I've tried is dark souls 2 and that runs great, 30-40 fps at 720p with maxed settings or 60 fps at 544p with the lowest settings. Lasts around 2.5-3.5 hours on full brightness.

PS2 emulation depends on the game; nocturne and king's field 4 run great, but ratchet 3 wasn't playable.

Probably going to be using it for indie games and jrpgs on my train ride into work and it works great for that. Overall I like it better than a switch, only complaint is it can get hot during demanding stuff but nothing extreme; it'll be a nice hand warmer in the future.

I can answer any questions about it if anyone has them.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2018, 02:24:09 PM »
Mine arrived today.  I installed SFV and immediately marked out.   :lol  It's kinda ugly with everything turned down, but don't care- PORTABLE SFV MUTHAFUCKA.

Dragonball FighterZ is definitely more impressive on this thing and it takes up way less space to boot.  Been messing around with various games and haven't delved into settings and performance tweaks yet.

Skullfuckers Anonymous, have you done anything to boost performance?
ど助平

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2018, 12:27:04 PM »
So far the only thing I've changed it's maxing out the battery settings within Windows and disabling a setting in the bios so the performance is the same when it's charging.

Haven't put to much time into it since I've been playing strange journey on 3ds, but still no complaints; Slay the Spire is a perfect game for it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2018, 12:24:03 AM »
Learned something new last week: Do not use any old USB-C charger with this thing.  Tried using the same Anker brand AC plug and USB C cable that I often use for my phone and Switch with this, since it was already plugged in, and downloaded a Windows update last weekend.  The next day, the Win 2 battery was 0%.  Thought maybe something weird happened after the update and shrugged it off.  Went to install a game the next night and left it running- it was dead the next morning and using the official charger would not make it start.

Fortunately, this issue can be resolved by just unplugging the battery cable.  Opened it up, removed the SSD and the screws (this part was pretty easy but getting the shell to come off kind of sucks), then unscrewed two tiny little screws holding the battery cable down, removed it and turned it on with a cable plugged in, and got power.  Put everything back together and it was find again, except I think something happened with the update and it running out of juice, plus the game install was kind of fucked, so I just wiped everything and started over again.  Not really a big deal when all that was on it were Steam games. 

Now I need to see about getting emulation set up.  Dunno if I'm going to use Retroarch again since I had issues getting libraries recognized on the Win 1.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2018, 09:51:33 PM »

:hulk

Runs better than I thought it would with some tweaking. 
ど助平

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2018, 05:42:04 PM »
 :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

Can't wait to play it on my work commute!

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2018, 02:18:59 PM »
Runs around 25-30 fps with the 45% resolution at 720p. I also enabled basic shadows and have the default texture settings. Just wish I could disable the grass since it looks like ass at low res with a low draw distance.

Played it for 45 minutes and that took up 25% of the battery with brightness on high.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2018, 02:45:20 PM »
Runs around 25-30 fps with the 45% resolution at 720p. I also enabled basic shadows and have the default texture settings. Just wish I could disable the grass since it looks like ass at low res with a low draw distance.

Played it for 45 minutes and that took up 25% of the battery with brightness on high.

:lawd

So tempted to get this for portable play now.
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2019, 10:12:13 AM »
:batman NANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANA... BORK-MAN :batman :

https://www.notebookcheck.net/GPD-P2-Max-Pricing-for-the-8-9-inch-UMPC-announced.421166.0.html

$500-700 is still too price-y for me, but they released a video showing them running DMC4 (not sure if Special Edition) on this. Pretty impressive for a netbook.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2019, 12:33:41 PM »
Don't care about that.  Waiting for the next GPD WIN model.  It's supposed to have a huge performance bump and way better GPU. :drool
ど助平

thisismyusername

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2020, 09:27:05 AM »
GPD's upcoming Win Max has some prototype units out there now- performance is looking really good!

(Skip to 9:00 in the RE3 video for better results after he changes resolution scaling)

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2020, 10:55:27 AM »
People with proto units are absolutely loving this thing.

ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2020, 07:26:19 PM »
So has it fixed the heat issue? :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2020, 09:48:13 AM »
So has it fixed the heat issue? :doge

Seems to be- he shows that it has better venting in this video:

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2020, 09:48:55 AM »
The Phawx really likes it, too.  Says it has become his "go-to device" and he uses it all the time, whereas with the Win 2 he only really used it on commutes.  I can this replacing my laptop entirely if it runs the games I like to play well enough.  Certainly looks like it has zero trouble running fighting games.

ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2020, 11:12:20 AM »
$800 though... :lucas

I could build another desktop for nearly that much money. :doge

Might wait until there's a used one on sale in a year or two. The fact they're using an i5 now gives me confidence it'll hold for most anything for a while.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2020, 11:21:34 AM »
$800 though... :lucas

I could build another desktop for nearly that much money. :doge

Might wait until there's a used one on sale in a year or two. The fact they're using an i5 now gives me confidence it'll hold for most anything for a while.

Well, yeah- it's a really small "gaming" laptop.  The price is to be expected.  I'm gonna likely sell off my Win 2 and maybe a rare game or two to help fund it.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2020, 12:58:24 AM »
Got the GPD Win MAX last week.  Haven't had too much time to spend with it, but got some stuff loaded and ready to go.   This thing is a beast and I can't wait to mess around with it more.  Was able to get Control running on it at a pretty stable framerate (like 30 fps-ish) on low settings/lower scaling and I just got THPS1+2, which I've already seen runs at 50-60 FPS from other videos. 

Fighting games like Tekken 7, Samurai Shodown 2019, and Street Fighter V run perfectly, although Soul Calibur VI keeps crashing.  Was told to try rolling back the Intel graphics driver but I dunno if I'm gonna bother just for that one game when it needs to be updated for others.  DOA6, which didn't work on the GPD Win 2, works now on the MAX, but had some weird stuttering issues.  So uninstalled that for now.

While this is no longer a 3DS/XL-sized PC, it's still small and is a bit bigger than a Switch (when closed).  The keyboard (backlit!) and controls have been much-improved and it now has a Vita-like d-pad.  Nice to have a touchpad too- now you can just leave the analog sticks set to joypad mode instead of having to flip back and forth to use them in place of a mouse.  It's also still got a touchscreen and now has Thunderbolt 3 in addition to more USB ports and full-sized HDMI out on the back- external GPUs work!  Seems to run much cooler than the last model, too, thankfully.

Am very happy with this so far.  They've improved things enough that this could probably be a laptop replacement or even a full-on PC replacement for some folks.  I don't plan on getting rid of my regular laptop, but this is what's going to be going places with me- have a travel mouse and small folding keyboard that I can use with it, and with its small power brick and an 8bitdo controller thrown in with it, it all still takes up much less space in a bag than a regular size laptop, plus it's much easier to mess around with or use for browsing when sitting on the couch.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 01:19:20 AM by bork »
ど助平

Coax

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2021, 03:43:14 AM »
Saw Phawx's video on the Win 3. It's probably mostly due to id's optimization but it was impressive seeing it handle Doom 2016 on Ultra at decent framerates for something smaller than a Switch, or the ~6 hour estimated battery life with a game like Dead Cells.

Keyboard seemed shit though compared to the physical of the other models.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2021, 09:03:12 AM »
He has another video up already of it running emulated Switch- Mario Odyssey going as high as 60 fps. 

The keyboard looks like shit and I wonder about issues with it if you need to CTRL+ALT+DEL out of something and it doesn't respond, plus issues with the slider.  But I'm also not really concerned with needing the keyboard for productivity- that's not what these devices are made for.  You can always plug in a keyboard or use a bluetooth one if needed anyway.  I don't use the keyboards on my Win devices much since I got them for gaming.  They're also going to be offering a dock for an extra $50 if you did want to use it with a proper setup.

That said, the Win Max has a large enough keyboard to make it comfortable enough to use and plenty of ports, all of which are lacking on the Win 3.

Knowing GPD, a Win Max 2 will likely end up coming out with the same or better internals, so might be worth waiting on that.  I'm probably going to end up getting the Win 3 since I just want it for gaming and the smaller size (compared to the Max) is more appealing.  Depends on how more preview/testing impressions go- QA is the biggest concern for sure.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 09:25:46 AM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: GPD-WIN Pocket PC Series
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2021, 09:56:12 AM »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: GPD-WIN Pocket PC Series