Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5446893 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Bring Obama Back Already #boba
« Reply #10800 on: November 12, 2017, 09:08:29 AM »

not to pick on andy but am i the only one seeing these blank posts all over? and i mean from people i don't expect to screw up tags

also the img width tag isn't working for me either, at least in chrome

why am i asking this in this thread? because i suspect seth rich's killer is behind this to stop us from getting to the bottom of the investigation? possibly it seems like something she'd do

benjipwns

« Reply #10801 on: November 12, 2017, 10:29:28 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/11/us/brett-talley-judge-senate.html

A 36-year-old lawyer who has never tried a case and who was unanimously deemed “not qualified” by the American Bar Association has been approved for a lifetime federal district judgeship by the Senate Judiciary Committee.
Mr. Talley, who graduated from Harvard Law School in 2007 and is a deputy assistant attorney general at the Justice Department
If confirmed, he would serve as a trial judge in his home state of Alabama.
Jeez, if only my timing had been different. Thanks Obama.

Mr. Talley’s lack of experience drew searing questions from Democratic members of the committee. Senator Richard J. Durbin of Illinois, the minority whip, asked Mr. Talley in a written questionnaire, “Do you think it is advisable to put people with literally no trial experience on the federal district court bench?”

Mr. Talley demurred. “It would be inappropriate for me as a nominee to comment on the advisability of any nomination,” he wrote.
And they said he's not qualified, that's Chief Justice material!

Ms. Feinstein also pointed to Mr. Talley’s prolific social media presence before his nomination. He once referred to Hillary Clinton as “Hillary Rotten Clinton” on his public Twitter account, which is now private.
#lockherup #justiceforseth #justiceforharvey

kingv

« Reply #10802 on: November 12, 2017, 11:38:04 AM »
Fuck anyone that votes for this incompetent.

benjipwns

« Reply #10803 on: November 12, 2017, 11:47:53 AM »
They voted on party lines to send him to the full Senate:
fell along party lines; Republican members outnumber Democrats on the committee 11 to nine. Mr. Talley will now face a full vote in the Senate.

This may be the last judicial candidate to have never sat as a judge before or apparently even tried a case, they did alright with the full Senate:
In 2010, Jeff Sessions, then a senator from Alabama, asked Nancy Freudenthal, who had been nominated to Wyoming District Court by President Barack Obama, about her having never tried a case before a jury. Ms. Freudenthal was eventually approved by the Senate, 96 to 1.
But then they were also the Governor of Wyoming's wife, so I don't know how that transfers in Senate custom.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10804 on: November 12, 2017, 01:58:44 PM »
At least this means conservatives will stop accusing every minority appointee of being an unqualified affirmative-action hire, right?

...right?

Optimus

• Lieutenant colonel, 26th Hate Machine battalion

benjipwns

« Reply #10806 on: November 12, 2017, 03:00:25 PM »
Is Noam Chomsky on the payroll of the Kremlin
Dick Nixon told me yeah.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10807 on: November 12, 2017, 04:23:57 PM »
This whole Russia thing just brings out the dumbest takes.

etiolate

« Reply #10808 on: November 12, 2017, 04:52:29 PM »
I don't think you want Russia's opinion or help on Ukraine.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #10810 on: November 12, 2017, 06:32:18 PM »
That Greenwald tweet is satirising the expected lib establishment fan responses though right?
◕‿◕

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10811 on: November 12, 2017, 06:35:05 PM »
Yes it is.

kingv

« Reply #10812 on: November 12, 2017, 07:40:53 PM »
I lost basically infinite respect of Glenn Greenwald over the last 10 years.

It’s like his schtick is that America is always wrong and is never right. When America is fucking up a lot, he seems like he’s speaking truth, but the reality is he’s a broken clock that is sometimes right. Apparently Noam Chomsky is in the same boat now.

I get that having decent relationship with Russia is not necessarily a terrible idea, in the long term, but these fools ah e interpreted that as letting Putin have his way with your butthole. ....Which actually makes sense for Glenn.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10813 on: November 12, 2017, 08:25:30 PM »
Chomsky being deeply critical of US foreign policy isn't new.

But the idea that Dems are so focused on Russia that they forgot to oppose the rest of Trump's agenda is dumb and wrong.

« Reply #10814 on: November 12, 2017, 08:41:28 PM »
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/929703988219564032

Why do some of you keep downplaying this while it keeps escalating?

Like seriously...are you gonna start shilling for Moore now too  :doge

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #10815 on: November 12, 2017, 08:57:16 PM »
I'll give a shit when Jared's in prison or the pee tape gets released

Not a second earlier

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #10817 on: November 12, 2017, 09:31:57 PM »
So now some of the social media right are destroying their Keurigs because the company dropped ads from Hannity.

Over his support of Roy Moore.

"We're destroying our property because you stopped advertising on a show where the host selectively dismisses pedophilia."
rub

kingv

« Reply #10818 on: November 12, 2017, 09:46:38 PM »
Re: Noam.

I too am critical of us foreign policy. We do a lot of shitty things. This doesn’t mean I think it’s a good thing to lose give up our sovereignty to Russia, or to let them freely meddle in our elections, or freely let our Presidential candidates break laws.

It’s nuts. I used to respect Noam chomsky, but he can eat a fat dick.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10819 on: November 12, 2017, 10:01:19 PM »
I think the main issue is how effectively they meddled in your election not that they did it.  My gut feeling is that a healthy democracy shouldn't be very affected by a misinformation attack.   Twitter bots should not decide elections. 

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #10820 on: November 12, 2017, 10:02:42 PM »
What about a healthy idiot
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10821 on: November 12, 2017, 10:19:48 PM »
Juan Gonzalez was one of my favorite players as a kid; it's sad that he never even got a sniff at the Hall. Probably because he was implicated in Canseco's book and his stats were only borderline, but still, two MVPs.
©@©™

Clockwork5

« Reply #10822 on: November 12, 2017, 10:42:13 PM »
Bill wouldn't make it out of the primary today, unless his only opponent was Bernie or some shit.

Hillary was embarrassed by a pussy grabber. Did you forget?

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #10823 on: November 12, 2017, 11:28:44 PM »
so the most shocking thing about this Roy Moore dealio, to me at least, is that his support didn't take a nosedive when these revelations came out. I read this today and it was like a lightbulb went off over my head.

Roy Moore's alleged pursuit of a young girl is the symptom of a larger problem in evangelical circles

“Duck Dynasty” star Phil Robertson advocated for adult men to marry 15- and 16-year-old girls and deemed age 20 too old because “you wait until they get to be 20 years old, the only picking that’s going to take place is your pocket.” Home-school leader Kevin Swanson, whose 2015 convention was attended by several Republican presidential candidates, defended Robertson on his radio show after the story broke. Advocating for child marriage hasn’t slowed down Robertson’s career. He just got a new show on the conservative digital network CRTV.

The allegations against Roy Moore are merely a symptom of a larger problem. It’s not a Southern problem or an Alabama problem. It’s a Christian fundamentalist problem. Billy Graham’s grandson, Boz Tchividjian, who leads the organization GRACE (Godly Response to Abuse in a Christian Environment), believes that the sexual abuse problem in Protestant communities is on par with that in the Catholic Church.

TLDR - Male dominion as part of a religion leads to very shitty places.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #10824 on: November 13, 2017, 02:33:27 AM »
Female subjugation is very much a part of alt folks beliefs too. 'We're gonna remove 40% of the populace and then make half of the remaining our property, by uh... yelling stupid shit at statues whilst holding tiki torches.' :doge
Hi

Valhelm

« Reply #10825 on: November 13, 2017, 02:40:41 PM »
Chomsky is 100% correct up there.

The latest episode of Intercepted opens with a really eloquent summation of why a lot of Russia dialogue is disingenuous. While Russian interference in our electoral system is awful and scary, this is something the US has been doing for a century. It's not acceptable to give ourselves some moral high-ground over the Russians on this issue, and it's really worrisome to see Democrats use the threat of Russian to downplay inequalities in our society. While this issue needs to be investigated, it can't be an excuse to ignore the factors that made Trump president, or casus belli for aggressive policies against Russia and her allies.

etiolate

« Reply #10826 on: November 13, 2017, 02:55:28 PM »
It's just a distraction amidst a massive political hangover.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10827 on: November 13, 2017, 02:59:31 PM »

"this one topic is the primary locus of concern and critique" "the one issue that seems to inflame the Democratic opposition"

You don't need to lie to kick it.

benjipwns

« Reply #10828 on: November 13, 2017, 03:00:18 PM »
but these fools ah e interpreted that as letting Putin have his way with your butthole. ....Which actually makes sense for Glenn.
:what

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10829 on: November 13, 2017, 03:03:03 PM »

kingv

« Reply #10830 on: November 13, 2017, 03:10:32 PM »

The latest episode of Intercepted opens with a really eloquent summation of why a lot of Russia dialogue is disingenuous. While Russian interference in our electoral system is awful and scary, this is something the US has been doing for a century. It's not acceptable to give ourselves some moral high-ground over the Russians on this issue, and it's really worrisome to see Democrats use the threat of Russian to downplay inequalities in our society. While this issue needs to be investigated, it can't be an excuse to ignore the factors that made Trump president, or casus belli for aggressive policies against Russia and her allies.

3rd way/Hill-bots/conservadems, etc will try to use the Russian narrative to ignore the progressive left’s concerns. I 100% believe this is true and will remain true. And in fact in 2020 they will be trying to push some consetvadem candidate (probably a minority) down the throats of the Democratic electorate using scare tactics. Trumps election has probably enabled a more conservative Democratic nominee than would otherwise be possible.

However, Noam Chomsky needs to stop being a cuck that makes whataboutism arguments. Yes, the USA does need to stop interfering in others elections, I don’t think that ceding our sovereignty to fucking Russia, of all people, is a way to do achieve any traction on that goal. In all likelihood, it will make it worse. Fuck Noam, Putin, the Horse he rode in on, the bear he wrestled, and any other red fuck that sympathesizes with him. I too think that the USA should fuck around in world affairs less, but also stand ready to slap the taste out of anyone’s mouth that fucks with us domestically.

If that means we sanction Russia until the whole country is back to standing in toilet paper lines like it’s 1994 then so be it.

etiolate

« Reply #10831 on: November 13, 2017, 03:12:11 PM »
Nobody ceding their sovereignty to Russia, only their sanity.

benjipwns

« Reply #10832 on: November 13, 2017, 03:13:02 PM »
I don't read twitters so I can't speak to whatever fights Glenn gets into on there probably a hundred times a day as his hair trigger is Peter Daou level, but in his Intercept articles at least that touch on this Russia hysteria narrative, they're mostly about calling BS on media factual inaccuracies, narratives and sometimes Democrats who are pushing these. Rarely does he even have any kind of narrative except "they're fucking up yet again" to it.

His last one, for example, is mostly about Donna Brazille, but has the same form as the articles re: Russia he's been publishing all year. In one instance, the Washington Post misquoted something, "progressive/Democratic" twitter spread it endlessly and it got picked up further from there and jabbered about, all while the Washington Post quietly appended a correction and edited their article which completely destroys the story but none of the people who helped push the story out there bothered to walk it back or discuss it further that he could see. (Despite me putting this link here, don't take it as me having read it again since skimming a week ago: https://theintercept.com/2017/11/05/four-viral-claims-spread-by-journalists-on-twitter-in-the-last-week-alone-that-are-false/)

Similar to that whole hysteria earlier about Russia hacking a power plant which the WaPo didn't bother to contact the company, and almost none of the story was true except that there was a laptop that may have been compromised by spyware that may have come within fifty miles of a power plant. Yet MSNBC experts and such were just retweeting the original headline and going AHA! PROOF!

Matt Taibbi (quiet Mandark) definitely has taken the "this is distracting Democrats from doing XYZ against Trump" line in his more friendly versions of these articles, but again from the articles only, Glenn's been mostly just shitting on the media/twitterati for falling for this crap over and over. And then spreading it. Which sure you can talk about glass houses and all, but that doesn't erase their stupidity.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10833 on: November 13, 2017, 03:15:32 PM »
lol greenwald "new mccarthyism"

lol taibbi everythang

benjipwns

« Reply #10834 on: November 13, 2017, 03:18:56 PM »
However, Noam Chomsky needs to stop being a cuck that makes whataboutism arguments.
Dude is 88* man, they probably cut out the other half of the interview where he complained about his doctor's office practices, his neighbors lawncare practices and how a few years ago he went to the store and they told him a coupon was no good but the date wasn't for another week.

*:thinking

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #10835 on: November 13, 2017, 03:20:29 PM »
Holy shit at the latest accusation against Roy Moore:

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/new-accuser-steps-forward-in-roy-moore-case-live-updates/

Nelson describes her first encounter when she was 15-years-old working as a waitress at a local restaurant after school.

She said Moore, DA of Etowah County, was a regular customer where he would often pull the ends of her hair as she passed by and complimented the young girl's looks.

"I did nothing to encourage this behavior," said Nelson, adding "I did not respond to any of Mr. Moore's flirtatious behavior."

She said that at the time of the encounters she had a boyfriend and was "not interested in having a dating or sexual relationship with a man twice my age."

Nelson went on, describing another incident in which Moore signed a school yearbook of hers when she was 16.

"He wrote in my yearbook as follows: 'To a sweeter more beautiful girl, I could not say Merry Christmas, Christmas, 1977, Love, Roy Moore, Old Hickory House. Roy Moore, DA.'"

She said after the incident, Moore had offered to drive Nelson home after work, during which she alleges he forced himself on Nelson and groped her in a locked car.

"I trusted Mr. Moore because he was district attorney, I thought he was doing something nice to offer to drive me home," said Nelson.

She detailed her fighting off Moore in the car as he squeezed her neck, forcing her head onto his crotch.

Even show his signature in her yearbook calling her beautiful. What the fuck is wrong with voters, you can just try to do a write in rather than back up this pedophile piece of shit.

Valhelm

« Reply #10836 on: November 13, 2017, 03:20:32 PM »
Taibbi is a scumbag rapist POS who took advantage of dozens of destitute Russian women in the early 90s, some of them underage

His Roger Ailes piece is great though

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10837 on: November 13, 2017, 03:22:22 PM »
no val, he explained that it was "satire" when he talked about that stuff

satire! get it? ha ha ha

Valhelm

« Reply #10838 on: November 13, 2017, 03:28:18 PM »
https://twitter.com/AlexSilverman/status/930159374781370368

"You are a child. I am the District Attorney of Etiwah County. If you tell anyone about this, no one will believe you."

holy shit

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #10839 on: November 13, 2017, 03:37:25 PM »
sounds like a winning candidate in alabama
püp

benjipwns

« Reply #10840 on: November 13, 2017, 03:39:48 PM »
remember, in Southern politics it's a dead girl or a live boy, all these "girls" are still alive to smear this great Christian patriot

Valhelm

« Reply #10841 on: November 13, 2017, 03:48:17 PM »
say what you will about Edwin Edwards... he did wonders to help us understand and explain Southern politics

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #10842 on: November 13, 2017, 03:54:01 PM »
rub

Valhelm

« Reply #10843 on: November 13, 2017, 04:00:44 PM »
Americans are literally stupid enough to elect Roy Moore senator. do not laugh him off

Syph

« Reply #10844 on: November 13, 2017, 04:01:22 PM »
Roy Moore is done for

I guess Luther Strange is back in?
not allowed
would have to be a write-in campaign (hence him taking calls from alaskan governor the day after the allegations came out)
XO

etiolate

« Reply #10845 on: November 13, 2017, 04:08:07 PM »
"Hope you have a fun summer! In my backyard shack! xoxo Senator"

Valhelm

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #10847 on: November 13, 2017, 04:17:51 PM »
He's not alpha. He's mentally disturbed enough to think that God speaks to him and the bible holds more authority than the US Constitution.
©ZH

agrajag

« Reply #10848 on: November 13, 2017, 04:19:43 PM »
man, if this ruins Roy Moore and somehow takes Hannity down with him

:lawd

Valhelm

« Reply #10849 on: November 13, 2017, 04:21:53 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #10850 on: November 13, 2017, 04:22:01 PM »
the bible holds more authority than the US Constitution.
well, hold on here, first i need to know which kind of court i'm in

an ecclesiastical court? or an American legal one Roy Moore's presiding over as Chief Justice?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #10851 on: November 13, 2017, 04:24:54 PM »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #10852 on: November 13, 2017, 04:29:10 PM »
the bible holds more authority than the US Constitution.
well, hold on here, first i need to know which kind of court i'm in

an ecclesiastical court? or an American legal one Roy Moore's presiding over as Chief Justice?

According to moore, it doesn't matter.
©ZH

FStop7

« Reply #10853 on: November 13, 2017, 04:33:50 PM »
man, if this ruins Roy Moore and somehow takes Hannity down with him

:lawd

Hannity and O'Reilly gone within months?

One man stands alone to defend America from the mongol hordes.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #10854 on: November 13, 2017, 04:38:18 PM »
Hannity and his guests on his radio show seem to be demanding evidence before they make any rash decisions regarding the lies and smears against Judge Roy Moore that are all coming from mainstream media sources and the Left.

Also, the Democrats are hypocrites for blaming Russia for Hillary's loss and then believing stuff like this about Moore without any evidence.

agrajag

« Reply #10855 on: November 13, 2017, 04:41:18 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

every time I see this guy's "incredulous dog" face

benjipwns

« Reply #10856 on: November 13, 2017, 04:45:15 PM »
I need to confess something to you guys. Hearing people on major cable networks or with millions of radio listeners use the term "deep state" has been very stressful these last few months.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10857 on: November 13, 2017, 04:48:23 PM »
benji, I have some data to help you revise your model.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/23/bill-gates-could-become-the-worlds-first-trillionaire.html
He can't even give it away fast enough. :lol
It's like the rate of return on capital is too high!

benjipwns

« Reply #10858 on: November 13, 2017, 04:48:29 PM »
oh god Hannity is complaining about the NSA collecting metadata on Carter Page and potentially the now sitting President by abusing the FISA court methods and he started the conversation by saying "first we learned that the Obama Administration was abusing the IRS against Americans, now we learn about this misuse of the NSA"

:dead

he's amazing

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #10859 on: November 13, 2017, 05:31:31 PM »
I hope it's discovered that refrigerators are powered by feminism

Who knows what major appliances could be smashed next on social media
rub