Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5546063 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| America: A Yum! Brands affiliate
« Reply #30480 on: January 26, 2019, 09:52:50 PM »
pretty good campaign ad, I rate it  9 out of 11 :-[

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Tripon

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #30484 on: January 26, 2019, 11:06:26 PM »
I think a lot of liberals, especially younger ones, had a vaguely negative impression of her because she'd been in leadership forever and has been at the head of the party as they've lost a bunch of elections. Getting a couple wins in a row where Trump backs down without getting anything changes that.

There are no wins for the next 2 years and in a best case scenario for 2020 the Democratic Party would still be facing a judicial branch that's been stacked for years and controlling a minority of state governments.

When people don't like the leadership who brought us to this point it's entirely warranted unless you think losing that severely is just something that happens no matter what.

agrajag

« Reply #30485 on: January 26, 2019, 11:09:04 PM »
judges get confirmed in the senate

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #30486 on: January 26, 2019, 11:10:52 PM »
That's why I used leadership and not speaker.

agrajag

« Reply #30487 on: January 26, 2019, 11:11:56 PM »
but the discussion was about Queen Nancy breh

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #30488 on: January 26, 2019, 11:17:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1088414772163461120

He has another tweet calling them out by name too. :doge
wait, are we supposed to continue not buying gas from Citgo or start up again?

benjipwns

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #30490 on: January 27, 2019, 12:13:28 AM »
I think a lot of liberals, especially younger ones, had a vaguely negative impression of her because she'd been in leadership forever and has been at the head of the party as they've lost a bunch of elections. Getting a couple wins in a row where Trump backs down without getting anything changes that.

There are no wins for the next 2 years and in a best case scenario for 2020 the Democratic Party would still be facing a judicial branch that's been stacked for years and controlling a minority of state governments.

When people don't like the leadership who brought us to this point it's entirely warranted unless you think losing that severely is just something that happens no matter what.

Two things here.

First, my point to Cindi was largely about differentiating between those of us who rabidly consume political media, and the vast majority of people who don't*. On the Dem side, Pelosi's approval rating has jumped 20ish points from where it was just three months ago, thanks to a good election and being seen as Trump's main adversary. I think most people have some general impressions of whether a politician is Good or Bad, and it bounces around based on how favorable the recent news seems. Not a ton of people are stanning Nancy Pelosi cause she pushed the ACA through after Ted Kennedy died, or hold a grudge cause of the Stupak Amendment.

Second, I do think party leadership is usually a very minor factor in how people vote. I don't think Pelosi and Hoyer were smarter or better politicians last year in 2006 and 2018 than they were in 2010 and 2014.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
*"Low information voters" feels stuffy and condescending. "Normies" is cute but a bit too 4chanish.
[close]

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #30491 on: January 27, 2019, 12:16:08 AM »

Two things here.

First, my point to Cindi was largely about differentiating between those of us who rabidly consume political media, and the vast majority of people who don't*. On the Dem side, Pelosi's approval rating has jumped 20ish points from where it was just three months ago, thanks to a good election and being seen as Trump's main adversary. I think most people have some general impressions of whether a politician is Good or Bad, and it bounces around based on how favorable the recent news seems. Not a ton of people are stanning Nancy Pelosi cause she pushed the ACA through after Ted Kennedy died, or hold a grudge cause of the Stupak Amendment.

Second, I do think party leadership is usually a very minor factor in how people vote. I don't think Pelosi and Hoyer were smarter or better politicians last year in 2006 and 2018 than they were in 2010 and 2014.

*"Low information voters" feels stuffy and condescending. "Normies" is cute but a bit too 4chanish.
[close]

*Casuals
___

benjipwns

« Reply #30492 on: January 27, 2019, 02:57:27 AM »
It's obvious, but I didn't see it mentioned in the above conversation. But Pelosi is not a national campaign figure for the Democrats, so when she's in the minority she effectively disappears. Same for Hoyer. This isn't really Pelosi's fault as much as it is a combination of factors. She's in a safe seat, that's in a "far left" seat for the D's, and her organizational prowess is distinct from her personal politics in a way that many leadership politicians refuse to learn. Pelosi learned it from the pre-Gingrich Revolution Democrats who had to be able to wrangle multiple wings, including the Southern Conservatives. The Hastert Rule is the Republicans attempt to avoid this and as a result, their leadership is not ever to Pelosi's personal level. Pelosi also realized probably a while ago that power in the House is her limit, she can't ever run for President, and Senate leadership power is less so than the Speaker.

As Chris Murphy repeated the old joke about every Senator is running for President. Pelosi has the advantage of locking herself into the House, whereas lots of other House members are at least eyeing the Senate, maybe a Governorship, and maybe someday a Presidential bid. Either that or they've landed in safe seats and will soon realize their career is the House.

Pelosi and Hoyer have such a stranglehold because the incumbents in the House know the leadership skills that don't escape the House. But the newbies probably have the same view of the casuals when Pelosi is in the minority she seems like a nobody, they NEED A NAME, A BIG TIME PRESIDENTIAL CONTENDER, etc. Who almost never last or make it in leadership in either party, in either house anymore.

One advantage the Democrats have had that the GOP has not entirely had, is that Pelosi and Reid both understood their leadership power within their body. Obama didn't take over the show outside the media. McConnell seems to understand this, and Frist somewhat did, but others that have been in leadership kinda just said "fuck it" when Trump and earlier when W. was in the White House. Hastert again being a great example. I think even Trump recognized this, especially in the House, when he suggested that he might be able to work better on certain issues with a D Congress, and I think if he can somehow get past this wall obsession, he still has a good chance of that compared to his first two years. Pelosi is not going to let every little subcommittee chairman act like they're the Speaker like Ryan was allowing. McConnell is the type of wrangler to make sure the Senate doesn't block both the House AND Trump if they come to an agreement. He's not the worst person to have in that majority leadership to let the D's + a few R's vote things through that Trump/House are for, while the rest of the R take a "principled stand."

The real problem will remain Trump.

benjipwns

« Reply #30493 on: January 27, 2019, 03:04:53 AM »
It's obvious, but I didn't see it mentioned in the above conversation. But Pelosi is not a national campaign figure for the Democrats, so when she's in the minority she effectively disappears. Same for Hoyer. This isn't really Pelosi's fault as much as it is a combination of factors. She's in a safe seat, that's in a "far left" seat for the D's, and her organizational prowess is distinct from her personal politics in a way that many leadership politicians refuse to learn. Pelosi learned it from the pre-Gingrich Revolution Democrats who had to be able to wrangle multiple wings, including the Southern Conservatives. The Hastert Rule is the Republicans attempt to avoid this and as a result, their leadership is not ever to Pelosi's personal level. Pelosi also realized probably a while ago that power in the House is her limit, she can't ever run for President, and Senate leadership power is less so than the Speaker.

As Chris Murphy repeated the old joke about every Senator is running for President. Pelosi has the advantage of locking herself into the House, whereas lots of other House members are at least eyeing the Senate, maybe a Governorship, and maybe someday a Presidential bid. Either that or they've landed in safe seats and will soon realize their career is the House.

Pelosi and Hoyer have such a stranglehold because the incumbents in the House know the leadership skills that don't escape the House. But the newbies probably have the same view of the casuals when Pelosi is in the minority she seems like a nobody, they NEED A NAME, A BIG TIME PRESIDENTIAL CONTENDER, etc. Who almost never last or make it in leadership in either party, in either house anymore.

One advantage the Democrats have had that the GOP has not entirely had, is that Pelosi and Reid both understood their leadership power within their body. Obama didn't take over the show outside the media. McConnell seems to understand this, and Frist somewhat did, but others that have been in leadership kinda just said "fuck it" when Trump and earlier when W. was in the White House. Hastert again being a great example. I think even Trump recognized this, especially in the House, when he suggested that he might be able to work better on certain issues with a D Congress, and I think if he can somehow get past this wall obsession, he still has a good chance of that compared to his first two years. Pelosi is not going to let every little subcommittee chairman act like they're the Speaker like Ryan was allowing. McConnell is the type of wrangler to make sure the Senate doesn't block both the House AND Trump if they come to an agreement. He's not the worst person to have in that majority leadership to let the D's + a few R's vote things through that Trump/House are for, while the rest of the R take a "principled stand."

The real problem will remain Trump.
u read this on vox or what

benjipwns

« Reply #30494 on: January 27, 2019, 03:20:52 AM »
with Odeja out of the race, who will the valuable Krystal Ball endorsement go to now? :thinking

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #30495 on: January 27, 2019, 03:27:43 AM »
I like that you wrote paragraphs about the power structures in Congress and how the various leaders' view of their own roles in the process could shape things going forward, then end with an implied "lol jk trump's still president nothing's getting done."

Which is the correct conclusion.

benjipwns

« Reply #30496 on: January 27, 2019, 03:51:04 AM »
I initially wanted to just touch on Pelosi's national profile or lack thereof, and how her relevance is due to her organizational skill within the House, and how House members, even minority leaders, disappear. But then I got kinda off track comparing her to other recent Congressional leaders, and fell even more off track.

I thought it interesting juxtaposed with the link from earlier about Trump blaming Ryan for not getting the wall done. Which in some ways is true but also tied into the fact that Ryan basically gave up at being Speaker as soon as he became it. Even had Trump not been a complete tard of a President, the Ryan House was not even close to being as organized as a Pelosi House is traditionally. Even when she was a similar situation in 2007-2008.

On that note of blaming Ryan, I'd also like to mention that Lou Dobbs has been blaming Ryan personally for the last six months to openly accusing him of trying to bring down Trump. It felt like every House member he had on the show he would ask them if they were going to do anything to take out Ryan. :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #30497 on: January 27, 2019, 03:53:52 AM »
You'll never guess the lone House member who wouldn't shoot the idea down but instead more or less announce they were going to lead the overthrow.

Of course you will, it was Jim Jordan.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #30498 on: January 27, 2019, 04:34:01 AM »
I think the recent GOP dysfunction has broader causes (hard to be the party of austerity and of retirees), but Ryan replacing Boehner felt like a bunch of kids getting to choose their substitute teacher.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #30499 on: January 27, 2019, 08:54:11 AM »
It's kind of hilarious that Nancy Pelosi is America's Leon Blum, all things considered.

Not able to accelerate rearmement quickly enough ?

Occupying power so the far-right can't but not actually doing anything because occupying power isn't wielding it, but good dunk!

:fbm
ὕβρις

Tripon

« Reply #30501 on: January 27, 2019, 12:17:50 PM »
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1089162227645669378

Good thing we're about to have another shutdown in 3 weeks.

Himu

« Reply #30502 on: January 27, 2019, 02:39:53 PM »
The shutdown cost America 6 billion dollars. Ggs.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30503 on: January 27, 2019, 04:31:04 PM »
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/427156-clinton-not-ruling-out-running-in-2020-report
"I’m told by three people that as recently as this week, she was telling people that look, given all this news from the indictments, particularly the Roger Stone indictment, she talked to several people, saying 'look, I'm not closing the doors to this,' " Zeleny said.
Not only Bernie returns.
🤴

Tripon

« Reply #30504 on: January 27, 2019, 05:12:47 PM »

White guy in Iowa: I have black friends, I can't be a racist.
CNN reporter: Uh, when you use that language, some people think that's just code for racism or allowing racism.
White guy in Iowa: I think you're racist for questioning me.
CNN reporter: Uh.......

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #30505 on: January 27, 2019, 05:21:37 PM »
I think there's maybe only like 10 chins total among white racists in this country
püp

kingv

« Reply #30506 on: January 27, 2019, 06:04:20 PM »
https://twitter.com/ajdukakis/status/1089527235198009344

https://twitter.com/ajdukakis/status/1089530559469105152

8)

Roger Stone emoji.

Lol :doge

After all that shit about how he would never cooperate or testify.

“Yeah, I’ll testify”

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30507 on: January 27, 2019, 06:11:55 PM »
Roger Stone gladly wants to testify in public and share his wealth of InfoWars knowledge.
I don't think Mueller will fall for that trick though.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tripon

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 09:20:31 PM by Tripon »

Boredfrom

« Reply #30510 on: January 27, 2019, 07:16:46 PM »
Roger Stone gladly wants to testify in public and share his wealth of InfoWars knowledge.
I don't think Mueller will fall for that trick though.

Dude...

That’s why we keep saying your hot takes are terrible... you said with a casual sincerity that is impressive.

Tripon

« Reply #30511 on: January 27, 2019, 08:03:43 PM »
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1089689185030758400

He mad.

Edit: Trump went and deleted the tweet.

Never thought I’d say this but I think @johnrobertsFox and @JillianTurner @FoxNews have even less understanding of the Wall negotiations than the folks at FAKE NEWS CNN & NBC! Look to final results! Don’t know how my poll numbers are so good, especially up 19% with Hispanics?

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 28, 2019
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 10:25:37 PM by Tripon »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #30512 on: January 27, 2019, 08:43:52 PM »
his poll numbers are terrible wtf
püp

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #30513 on: January 27, 2019, 08:59:38 PM »
He does this a lot. Doesn't just cherry-pick a poll, but cherry-picks a subcategory within that poll. So he'll brag about his approval rating among Republicans according to Rasmussen or whatever. Obviously someone else points it out on Fox News or in a tweet, because nothing is less likely than Donald Trump downloading a pdf so he can pore through the numbers in greater detail.

I googled "Trump latino 19" and got a Voxsplainer on the poll he's citing.

kingv

« Reply #30514 on: January 27, 2019, 09:58:22 PM »
It’s actually sort of worse than that and the explainer is really inadequate to explain the situation.

So the poll has approx 1K people, and 15% are Latino. So he’s really talking about a change of like 25 people or so.

The margin of error for a sample size of 150 is about +/- 12% at 95% confidence.

But here is the other thing, there are so many surveys taken, and so many sub-populations that one can slice and ice that into, that 95% sampling error really isn’t adequate if you are going to cherry pick one number from one survey. Roughly 1/20 result is skewed. And just because the randomness holds at the total population doesn’t necessarily mean that some sub population is also a representative sample.

This is one of those things that’s hard for people that don’t work with this stuff a lot to grasp, and even harder if that person is trump.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #30515 on: January 27, 2019, 10:02:13 PM »
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

kingv

« Reply #30517 on: January 27, 2019, 10:44:52 PM »

Tripon

« Reply #30519 on: January 27, 2019, 11:52:33 PM »
The best thing Schultz did was make all Starbucks into pokestops.  :doge

Somebody help me, I can't stop playing Pokemon Go.
[close]

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #30520 on: January 28, 2019, 12:18:52 AM »
The best thing Schultz did was make all Starbucks into pokestops.  :doge

Somebody help me, I can't stop playing Pokemon Go.
[close]

I finally dropped it last month.

Ironically, the introduction of PvP is what killed it for me. THAT is what took them 2 years?
:O

benjipwns

« Reply #30521 on: January 28, 2019, 05:28:40 AM »

dictated but not read

benjipwns

« Reply #30522 on: January 28, 2019, 06:00:55 AM »
based on the responses he's getting Eli just leveled up in the trolling twitter game
https://twitter.com/EliLake/status/1089583526465495041

benjipwns

« Reply #30523 on: January 28, 2019, 06:05:33 AM »
because nothing is less likely than Donald Trump downloading a pdf so he can pore through the numbers in greater detail.
Based on what he does with columns/news articles/etc. though, there's probably a good chance some staffer is looking it up, printing it out and bringing it to him to scribble all over.

benjipwns

« Reply #30525 on: January 28, 2019, 09:06:56 AM »
sounds like Obama had to rip out all the Russian gear installed by Hillary on the quick :thinking

Nola

« Reply #30526 on: January 28, 2019, 11:48:42 AM »
Is there a more worthless and empty construct in modern American politics than claiming to be a third party bi-partisan centrist?

- "So what do you believe in?"

- "Whatever is in the middle of the two dominant political positions of the moment."

-........" oh really?" :sheik

benjipwns

« Reply #30527 on: January 28, 2019, 11:54:30 AM »
No, no, no, he's going to share his truth, then listen to your truth, and then we'll all trust each other and focus on what objectively will make us better.

The worst part is he doesn't even have a site up full of the Unity08/AmericansElect type crap trying to appease everyone platform, it's just shilling his book.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #30528 on: January 28, 2019, 11:55:10 AM »
These polls show 40% of Americans self-indentify as independents, I can't lose! :rollsafe

*loses* 

Why did I only get 2% of the vote?   :mjcry
©@©™

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #30530 on: January 28, 2019, 12:03:27 PM »
Who We Are 

Unity08 is a group of citizens deeply concerned that the wheels have come off our political system, that the American Dream is slipping away, and that time is short to get things back on track.

We are of all ages, backgrounds, colors and beliefs and from both parties:

Some of us have been involved in political campaigns at the state and national levels and served in high government positions.
Others of our leadership group have never been active in political life but have been highly successful in the private sector, active in the non-profit world and in other walks of American life.
Still others of our leadership group are students, who are concerned that the agenda of special interests is coming before the national interest.

What We Believe 

Unity08 believes that neither of today’s major parties reflects the aspirations, fears or will of the majority of Americans. Both have polarized and alienated the people. Both are unduly influenced by single-issue groups. Both are excessively dominated by money.

For most of the 20th Century, the contest for the U.S. presidency was waged over those “in the middle.” Recent Presidential elections, however, have not been focused on the middle but on the turnout of each party’s special interest groups – with each party’s “base” representing barely ten percent of the American people.

We believe that, while the leaders of both major parties are well intentioned people, they are trapped in a flawed system – and that the two major parties are today simply neither relevant to the issues and challenges of the 21st Century nor effective in addressing them.

As a result, most Americans have not been enthusiastic about the choices for President in recent elections, the key issues they ran on, or the manner in which the campaigns were conducted.

Therefore Unity08 will act to assure that an alternative ticket is presented to the American voters in 2008.
rest of the "What We Believe" page
Our Goals

We have set three specific goals, and are exploring how best to achieve them.

Goal One is the election of a Unity Ticket for President and Vice-President of the United States in 2008 – headed by a woman and/or man from each major party or by an independent who presents a Unity Team from both parties.

Goal Two is for the people themselves to pick that Unity Ticket in the first half of 2008 – via a virtual and secure online convention in which all American voters will be qualified to vote.

Goal Three, our minimum goal, is to effect major change and reform in the 2008 national elections by influencing the major parties to adopt the core features of our national agenda. With a group of voters who comprise at least 20% of the national electorate, we feel confident that our voters will decide the 2008 election.

The new ground broken in meeting our goals will include new choices for voters, new opportunities for candidates, and new uses of modern technology as well. In pursuing our goals, we will both follow the law in every instance and seek the opinion of the Federal Elections Commission to interpret the law where we are breaking new ground. (In fact we are currently seeking an FEC advisory opinion to guide our early decisions.)

We are not looking to build a new and permanent party. That might happen, but our objective is to fix the old parties. A Unity Ticket in office for one term or even taking part in just one election can bring new ideas, new integrity and new leaders to the fore.

We will not waste time assessing blame. Both parties and all of us who have been active in them share responsibility for the current political morass. We hope instead to return the focus of our politics and policy to the common good – those ideas and traditions which unite and empower us as individuals and as a people.

Unity08 on Lobbying and Corruption

Unity08 strongly believes the corrupting influence of special interest money is a major cause of today’s fundamentally broken political system. Lobbyist money plus pandering to the intense ideological bases by both parties yields the blame-game partisan bickering that has destroyed voter confidence. No other issue will get solved until this one does.

Unity08 intends to fix this broken system by electing a bipartisan “Unity Ticket” to the White House in ‘08 funded solely by small-dollar donations from everyday Americans. As a result the Unity08 President and Vice President will enter office not with favors owed to lobbyists and special interests but with a clear mandate from the American people to cooperate and provide courageous leadership on the most crucial, complex issues facing our country.

Want to better understand why Unity08 feels so strongly about this subject? Click here…

Unity08 on the Issues 

Unity08 divides issues facing the country into two categories: Crucial Issues – on which America’s future safety and welfare depend; and Important Issues – which, while vital to some, will not, in our judgment, determine the fate or future of the United States.

In our opinion, Crucial Issues include: Global terrorism, our national debt, our dependence on foreign oil, the emergence of India and China as strategic competitors and/or allies, nuclear proliferation, global climate change, the corruption of Washington’s lobbying system, the education of our young, the health care of all, and the disappearance of the American Dream for so many of our people.

By contrast, we consider gun control, abortion and gay marriage important issues, worthy of debate and discussion in a free society, but not issues that should dominate or even crowd our national agenda.

In our opinion – since the disintegration of the Soviet Union – our political system seems to have focused more attention on the “important issues” than the “crucial issues.” One result: The political parties have been built to address the interests of their “base” but have failed to address the realities that impact most Americans.

Why Unity08 Will Succeed

Here are four reasons we believe the Unity08 movement will succeed:

The American people know that the current political system is broken and that the time is short to fix it.
A solidly-funded movement of up to 20,000,000 Americans can be built online in order to nominate a Unity Ticket of their choice for 2008.
Seeing the numbers, leaders in both parties will see that a Unity Ticket in 2008 represents the jolt the political system needs to get back on track.
The tens of millions of Americans who have not been voting out of cynicism toward the current system are likely to rally to new leadership with a new approach.

The genius of America is that every generation redefines freedom in its own terms for its own times. Unity08, in a tradition as old as our country itself, is committed to still another rebirth of freedom.
[close]
Goal Three, our minimum goal, is to effect major change and reform in the 2008 national elections by influencing the major parties to adopt the core features of our national agenda.
In our opinion – since the disintegration of the Soviet Union – our political system seems to have focused more attention on the “important issues” than the “crucial issues.”
come on howard this is the kind of stuff we need in our veins :lawd

benjipwns

« Reply #30531 on: January 28, 2019, 12:08:43 PM »
just think about the dream ballot we could have coming :american

Donald J. Trump / Mike Pence (Republican)
Kamala Harris / Robert Francis O'Rourke (Democrat)
Bernard Sanders / David Duke (Independent)
Howard Schultz / Hillary Clinton (Independent)
John McAfee / Sam Seder (Libertarian)

james

« Reply #30532 on: January 28, 2019, 12:10:52 PM »
Is there a more worthless and empty construct in modern American politics than claiming to be a third party bi-partisan centrist?

- "Whatever is in the middle of the two dominant political positions of the moment."

One side wants to jail separate families and jail children.

The other does not.

Why can't we get along and agree to only separate some families and jail only some children? To avoid racial bias, we will randomly select them using a code generated within the Starbucks app.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #30533 on: January 28, 2019, 12:11:44 PM »
That reminds me of in World War Z (the book) Colin Powell and Bernie Sanders were elected President and VP on a  bi-partisan Unity ticket. Pretty sure if zombies actually attacked you'd just have people talking about how Bernie Bros are worse than the zombies (what's the difference? har har) and Build That Wall Zombies Will Fall.
©@©™

agrajag

« Reply #30534 on: January 28, 2019, 12:14:21 PM »
he should provide free coffee for everyone attending his rallies.

I say the CEO of Wawa should run. Dollar coffees for the proles!

james

« Reply #30535 on: January 28, 2019, 12:18:29 PM »
That reminds me of in World War Z (the book) Colin Powell and Bernie Sanders were elected President and VP on a  bi-partisan Unity ticket. Pretty sure if zombies actually attacked you'd just have people talking about how Bernie Bros are worse than the zombies (what's the difference? har har) and Build That Wall Zombies Will Fall.

That reminds me of the thread the other day about how World War Z is RIGHT WING MEDIA because it shows a wall protecting people from the zombies.

benjipwns

« Reply #30536 on: January 28, 2019, 12:18:33 PM »

One side wants to jail separate families and jail children.

The other does not.

Why can't we get along and agree to only separate some families and jail only some children? To avoid racial bias, we will randomly select them using a code generated within the Starbucks app.
Howard Schultz will not simply take the halfway point between two positions, no, all of his positions will be extensively focus tested to vaguely apply to 50%+1 of surveyed voters. Then "further clarified" to ensure increased vagueness.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #30537 on: January 28, 2019, 12:19:04 PM »
Listen, if there were zombies I might be pro wall, not saying Trump should release the T virus in Venezuela for a win-win-win, but just saying he could

benjipwns

« Reply #30538 on: January 28, 2019, 12:34:19 PM »
David Frum: Howard Schultz May Save the Democratic Party From Itself
Starbucks founder Howard Schultz is the Twitter villain of the hour. If hot takes actually generated heat, Schultz would already have been vaporized under the onrush of magma. His offense: contemplating a run for president as a self-funded independent centrist.

There are many people who could raise a legitimate complaint against this expensive plan, starting with Schultz’s heirs.  But the Twitter complaints arise from concern, not that Schultz is about to waste his money, but that he might spend it effectively. He might weaken the Democratic candidate in 2020, and thereby help re-elect President Trump.

Actually, this complaint reveals why Schultz’s exploration is just the help America needs. Schultz seems to intend to run as a compassionate businessman concerned that the Democratic Party is veering too far to the left. In an interview on CBS’s 60 Minutes, he complained of promises of free health care and free college tuition.

These complaints have been mocked as the selfish preoccupations of the super-rich. If that were true, however, Democratic activists would have no reason to fear Schultz’s candidacy. America’s new progressive majority could roll right over Schultz’s plutocratic message.

The early Democratic presidential contest has been an exercise of lefter-than-thou politics, culminating in the earnest consideration of 70 percent tax rates and wealth confiscation for émigrés.

You can understand the temptation: Trump seems weak, perhaps already doomed. Why compromise with the faint of heart? Give the American people a choice, not an echo!

This is the logic of factional politics. You want the smallest possible majority, most easily dominated by its most mobilized minority. That’s how the Tea Party thought during the Obama years, that’s how the Trump campaign evolved in 2016. Sometimes it can work, at least if you catch a lucky bounce. 

But if you seriously believe that the Trump presidency presents a unique threat to American democracy, you want the safer choice, not the risky one. You want the candidate with the broadest possible appeal, not the most sectarian. Trump will be beaten not by his fiercest enemies, but by his softest supporters. You want to appeal to them, detach them—not chatter on social media about how you’d like to punch their kids in the face.

I have no idea whether Schultz can accomplish that mission. Probably not. But if Schultz at least delivers a timely reminder that somebody must accomplish that mission—and that Democratic self-indulgence will be Trump’s most indispensable resource in 2020—then he will have served his country well.

benjipwns