Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5450646 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| America: A Yum! Brands affiliate
« Reply #30360 on: January 25, 2019, 06:29:11 PM »
The show is more fun if you think the writers have thought about their plot lines and they aren't just winging it with filler episodes.
🤴

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #30361 on: January 25, 2019, 06:30:00 PM »
Real talk, the flight controllers getting flights grounded at Reagan on a Friday was a super shrewd move from the union. Hats off.
vin

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #30362 on: January 25, 2019, 06:31:07 PM »
Excuse me, there's only one regular shitty poster here that supports Trump.

Cindi does, but it depends on their moods
:O

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #30363 on: January 25, 2019, 06:31:11 PM »
See, Nintex likes Trump cause he wants to ban Muslims from coming to his own country (or continent really).

It's the need to maintain some facade of ironic detachment that's the interesting part. Especially on a forum of like thirteen people where nobody's buying it. Why not just be yourself?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #30364 on: January 25, 2019, 06:31:43 PM »
Real talk, the flight controllers getting flights grounded at Reagan on a Friday was a super shrewd move from the union. Hats off.

I agree, but we call it "National" dammit.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30365 on: January 25, 2019, 06:31:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1088599057981943809

Far right?

What's she smoking. It's Venezuela. Mao would be considered 'far right' by their standards.  :doge
🤴

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #30366 on: January 25, 2019, 06:35:00 PM »
Anyone here notice that none of the Bore's shitty posters ever come out and say they support Trump, no matter how blatantly they're rooting for him or see his success as validating their views? Kinda interesting.

Nintex pretends to be a Trump fan on the internet; he does it on Dutch language forums too. When Trump wins he gets to make people on the internet hot and bothered and when Trump loses he gets to laugh at those same people for trying to dunk on him and / or meet the dunking with incoherent ripostes that get those people hot and bothered. His entire existence is the philosophical question no one asked but he was happy to answer anyway: what if my good friend and ideological enemy benji possessed all of his current nihilism but lacked the faintest shred of his humanity.

If our mods weren't wracked by incorrect lolbertarian thought his account would be thrown in the garbage where it belongs but alas. (You're doing better, team, Rome wasn't built in a day!)

For the record I personally don't believe that he's pretending but for the purposes of this post I am taking his statements at face value.

Leper Nintex 2019. Semper games.

Boredfrom

« Reply #30367 on: January 25, 2019, 06:35:59 PM »
Many on Mexico are not exactly thrilled about the government trying to pretend that Maduro did nothing wrong, specially since Maduro “mysteriously” name droped Mexico some weeks ago.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #30368 on: January 25, 2019, 06:36:47 PM »

Actually, air traffic controllers kneecapping a Republican president by getting flights cancelled at an airport named Reagan is pretty sweet, so today it's Reagan.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

agrajag

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #30371 on: January 25, 2019, 07:00:56 PM »

Actually, air traffic controllers kneecapping a Republican president by getting flights cancelled at an airport named Reagan is pretty sweet, so today it's Reagan.

It's cool but they had to do it on the down low because of well... That whole ATC / Reagan story. People say the TSA could have blown the whole thing off by walking out but I would be weary of becoming a casualty of a mass firing by an asshole Republican president desperate to score points. I would imagine TSA people are much less expendable and skilled than an air traffic controller and that didn't save the latter last time.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30372 on: January 25, 2019, 07:18:23 PM »
Anyone here notice that none of the Bore's shitty posters ever come out and say they support Trump, no matter how blatantly they're rooting for him or see his success as validating their views? Kinda interesting.

Nintex pretends to be a Trump fan on the internet; he does it on Dutch language forums too.
Not really. All I need to do there to derail their garbage carcass of a message board is to drop in and post a tweet with a smiley.
I barely show up there anymore.

You can blame one of my friends who was a regular on that board and asked if I wanted to join. It was mostly useful to keep track of the situation in Ukraine which was red hot at that time.
Suddenly the whole Trump circus came to town and I noticed that people (both the foreign policy wonks and journalists I followed on Twitter and various posters) who supported the actual Ukrainian Nazi's were much the same as the Hillary supporters.
However, you couldn't *not* support the Nazi's in Ukraine and not be seen as a friend of Putin. Luckily that worked itself out when corruption won over the Nazi's in Ukraine like it always does.
But with Trump again you couldn't not support Hillary Clinton without being considered a Trump supporter.

When tensions between the left/right boiled over as it did everywhere on the internet their moderation team kinda gave up and it was a free for all for trolls, Pro-Russians, Erdogan fans and conspiracy theorists.
But as always once that happens someone steps in to restore "ORDER" to the board and goes full ResetEra with moderation instantly killing it. :idont

On this board I actually enjoy the discussions and conversations. I also feel I've moderated my trolling and sarcasm as of late. We all need to be best.

I just can't pretend to be super serial about politics when:
A) The EU and US have apparently lost their memory and the riots in Greece/Egypt/Kiev and other places are apparently erased from history because suddenly all money can be spend on Walls(USA!) and trying to change the climate by 0.000007 degrees(EU)
B) The Trump circus is in town and serves Hamburgers at the White House
C) Our public broadcast calls memes "Images with racist messages intended to be funny"

I'm not half as crazy as the world we're living in today and because I've got no way of influencing events in the slightest and we gave up all our privacy, control and power to corporations, NGO's and governments who do not have our best interests in mind.
All we can do at this point is to strap in and enjoy the ride. But as I said. I'm sorta hopeful that this is the final stage of maximum crazy before things readjust themselves.

And if they don't.

McAfee 2020 baby  :birb
🤴

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #30373 on: January 25, 2019, 07:22:58 PM »
I have so many questions like "when did Kara learn Dutch?" and "how does Kara know where Nintex posts?"
每天生气

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #30374 on: January 25, 2019, 07:23:00 PM »
 :goldberg. Bernie is set to announce his election bid
püp

Boredfrom

« Reply #30375 on: January 25, 2019, 07:42:50 PM »

It's cool but they had to do it on the down low because of well... That whole ATC / Reagan story. People say the TSA could have blown the whole thing off by walking out but I would be weary of becoming a casualty of a mass firing by an asshole Republican president desperate to score points. I would imagine TSA people are much less expendable and skilled than an air traffic controller and that didn't save the latter last time.

Probably it helped that this is the post  9/11 world so a stunt like that wouldn’t be feasible anymore.

Occam

« Reply #30376 on: January 25, 2019, 08:00:40 PM »
Nazi's

I's thi's intentional or caused by a lack of brain's?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #30377 on: January 25, 2019, 08:03:47 PM »
I have so many questions like "when did Kara learn Dutch?" and "how does Kara know where Nintex posts?"
We've got Kermit the Strangler to thank for that. He called him out on it some time back.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #30378 on: January 25, 2019, 08:05:52 PM »

e: Rufus smh, I bet you tell small children there's no Santa Claus too.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #30379 on: January 25, 2019, 08:10:44 PM »
извините товарищ

FStop7

« Reply #30380 on: January 25, 2019, 10:31:39 PM »
People are talking general strike in the airline industry (even America's voice of the revolutionary vanguard Teen Vogue is writing about them).

So is this what really played out today?  We suddenly had ATC disruptions in New York and DC, and Trump abruptly caved.  I haven’t seen it reported that there’s a connection, but...

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #30381 on: January 25, 2019, 10:46:24 PM »
People are talking general strike in the airline industry (even America's voice of the revolutionary vanguard Teen Vogue is writing about them).

So is this what really played out today?  We suddenly had ATC disruptions in New York and DC, and Trump abruptly caved.  I haven’t seen it reported that there’s a connection, but...

Probably a combination of stuff (realization that Pelosi was serious about not budging, consistently bad polling, Republican senators yelling at each other), but sure feels like that was the tipping point. We'll get a bunch of behind-the-scenes stories about how it went down soon enough.

P.S. Mandark suggesting other people are shitty posters breaks the irony meter.

:ohyou

Kara

« Reply #30382 on: January 25, 2019, 11:51:33 PM »

General strikes are when large segments of the entire labor force in a geographic area go on strike. All the service and hospitality workers west of the Mississippi, for example.

This was (possibly) workers in a strategic industry going on strike across a geographic area / geographic areas. If it was a strike it may or may not have been a wildcat strike which is a strike in which unionized employees do so without the agreement of their union's top level.

I'm glad you asked, genosse, but you should really read more Teen Vogue!

kingv

« Reply #30383 on: January 25, 2019, 11:52:43 PM »
We’re all toxic here, that’s why we wer banned from GAF.

Kara

« Reply #30384 on: January 25, 2019, 11:53:46 PM »
BTW, I just noticed that https://www.nlrb.gov/strikes is a dead link at the moment. I'm sure that's just an honest mistake.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #30385 on: January 26, 2019, 12:57:37 AM »

https://twitter.com/redandriogrande/status/1088677613399408640

doxxed Nintex's twitter

That reeee-dneck doesn't understand that "Negotiator" inherently involves negotiation, and therefore compromise. Donald proclaims, mandates, threatens, cajoles, and offers ultimatums. That's not actually negotiating. At a base level, that's just shouting.

Also, science:
https://twitter.com/Kristin_Hook/status/1088833209687777280

james

« Reply #30386 on: January 26, 2019, 01:02:32 AM »

I see we have a man of the district here with us today.

What quadrant are you sir?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #30387 on: January 26, 2019, 01:59:03 AM »

Kara

« Reply #30388 on: January 26, 2019, 02:13:43 AM »
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1088414772163461120

He has another tweet calling them out by name too. :doge

Himu

« Reply #30389 on: January 26, 2019, 02:14:33 AM »
the reaction to Trump ending the shutdown temporarily on r/conservative is amazing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Conservative/comments/ajsmon/trump_announces_temporary_deal_to_reopen/

People living without pay and they just care about Trump "caving".
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #30390 on: January 26, 2019, 02:25:52 AM »
If Republicans want a chance at all to keep the presidency in 2020, they need to put forth a new candidate and distance themselves completely from Trump. If Trump headlines the GOP race again, look for the most overwhelming landslide in American history.

The GOP is finished in 2020.

Trump is basically Pelosi's bitch.

Its insane that he'd just cave in like this. What does it even accomplish? Democrats are never going to vote for a wall, if he wants to build it via national emergency now'd have been as good as any a time to do it.

Are you paying attention China and North Korea? We have a weakling in the White House. No need to concede or compromise on anything.

Obama had 60 Senators and didn't spend 2 years wasting time.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #30391 on: January 26, 2019, 02:49:42 AM »
I am increasingly liking ACO. I like some of her ideas and she's so darn cute and it's making the Republicans go insane when she does the most innocuous stuff. They truly see her as a threat and it's fun to watch. Good political theater.

I read a report that said majority of Americans also support her tax on those who make above 10 million. That's good news, but the bad news is that Americans can support anything they want at any percentage and that won't mean it'll come true.

Mandark, what do you think about the Democratic candidates who have thrown their hat into the race so far? What do you think of Kamala Harris.
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #30392 on: January 26, 2019, 02:50:44 AM »
P.S. Mandark suggesting other people are shitty posters breaks the irony meter.
Please don't characterize the strength that Mandark brings to this thread as the leader of anti-Nintex posters, who score big victories on him daily.
每天生气

kingv

« Reply #30393 on: January 26, 2019, 02:54:11 AM »

He’s from Spotsy but claims Nova.
 :doge

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #30394 on: January 26, 2019, 11:41:43 AM »
At a meeting Wednesday with conservative groups, the president accused former House speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) of having “screwed him” by not securing border wall money when Republicans had the majority, according to one attendee, Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies. He said Ryan should have gotten him money before he left but he had no juice and had “gone fishing,” according to two attendees.

Ryan had warned the president against a shutdown and told him it would be politically disastrous, according to a person familiar with their conversations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/prisoner-of-his-own-impulse-inside-trumps-cave-to-end-shutdown-without-wall/2019/01/25/e4a4789a-20d5-11e9-8b59-0a28f2191131_story.html?utm_term=.8b3a9ceed3cb

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30395 on: January 26, 2019, 12:03:11 PM »
Last week: "Mueller is totally right, Cohen is a liar! Lock him up!  8)"

This week: "Mueller the fascist shadow dictator of the US is going after a defenseless elderly man who cannot afford his healthcare  :'("

🤴

Boredfrom

« Reply #30397 on: January 26, 2019, 12:15:44 PM »
I guess Jaydubs just isn’t a regular?

It’s virtually impossible to not be better than Hilldawg, so that’s the faintest of faint praise.

I don’t even like her but holy hell...

james

« Reply #30398 on: January 26, 2019, 01:51:57 PM »

He’s from Spotsy but claims Nova.

Ew that's the deep south wtf

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #30399 on: January 26, 2019, 02:00:19 PM »
#fakenews

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30402 on: January 26, 2019, 02:09:23 PM »
The billoinaires and CEO's were asked about her comments at Davos and they laughed.
I'm not sure why she thinks tax increases for the rich will ever be policy.

The only reason AOC and her justice democrats were supported by the party and the donors was that they could gain more seats to deny the GOP the house.
They would've ran turds for seats if it were possible (same applies to the GOP obviously).
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #30403 on: January 26, 2019, 02:12:57 PM »
 :gurl

shosta

« Reply #30404 on: January 26, 2019, 02:15:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/1088864666061701120

are we starting this cernovich cycle again where he says something decent and then four months later he's orchestrating a disingenuous character assassination of some mid tier left wing celebrity
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #30405 on: January 26, 2019, 02:17:11 PM »
hey MAGA

Tripon

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #30407 on: January 26, 2019, 02:22:11 PM »
Mandark, what do you think about the Democratic candidates who have thrown their hat into the race so far? What do you think of Kamala Harris.

The big thing's going to be her history as a prosecutor and attorney general in CA. She's describing herself as a "progressive prosecutor" but there are instances of her office being harsher or more aggressive than they needed to be on sentencing, parole, etc. I haven't taken the time to read up on her yet so I'm just going by shit I've seen mentioned in passing on Twitter.

Honestly, out of the major potential I think Biden's the only one that would make me think "how did we get stuck with this asshole?" if he got the nomination. I put more stock in the general political climate and the expectations of the Democratic coalition than who the president is. Not that it doesn't matter, it's just secondary. And everyone who's announced seems to have read the room pretty well. Nobody's arguing the Democrats need to get tougher on crime, more "friendly to business," etc. the way you would have heard back in the day.

What worries me a bit right now is that the presidential primaries will soak up so much resources that it will be harder to duplicate the recruiting, volunteering, fundraising etc. that we saw for downballot offices last year which really helped.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #30408 on: January 26, 2019, 02:24:59 PM »

The last two Democratic presidents both signed tax increases on the rich.

edit: Then again, what are the odds the Democrats will nominate someone as radically left-wing as Bill Clinton again?

Himu

« Reply #30409 on: January 26, 2019, 02:26:43 PM »
How much do you forecast last years midterm turnout being a continual thing with the primaries and general stacked with more voters? At least in comparison to 2016?
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30410 on: January 26, 2019, 02:32:35 PM »

The last two Democratic presidents both signed tax increases on the rich.

edit: Then again, what are the odds the Democrats will nominate someone as radically left-wing as Bill Clinton again?
A tax increase was a token gesture by Bill. That was paid back in full by deregulating basically everything related to finance and abolishing the welfare state.
In Obama's term the increase was again mostly optics compared to the magic of QE and bailouts. Which made sure that more money than ever before went to the top 1%.
Also, Obama's tax increases were more or less a reversal of the Bush tax cuts.

Trump did the looting of the treasury (how Bernie aptly put it) more publicly than other Presidents but in the end all he mostly did was make sure that they kept their newfound riches.
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #30411 on: January 26, 2019, 02:40:41 PM »
How much do you forecast last years midterm turnout being a continual thing with the primaries and general stacked with more voters? At least in comparison to 2016?

2020's going to be a high turnout year for sure.

Dems still have room to max out their coalition, too. Even with the higher turnout last year compared to other midterms, the electorate was older and whiter than you'd expect for a presidential cycle. So there's at least the potential for them to do very well two elections in a row, like in 2006/2008. Also a lot more Republican Senate seats up for grabs than Democratic ones this time, but the map is pretty daunting.

shosta

« Reply #30412 on: January 26, 2019, 02:41:52 PM »
The big thing's going to be her history as a prosecutor and attorney general in CA. She's describing herself as a "progressive prosecutor" but there are instances of her office being harsher or more aggressive than they needed to be on sentencing, parole, etc. I haven't taken the time to read up on her yet so I'm just going by shit I've seen mentioned in passing on Twitter.
This is just one of many contentions people have with her, but it is the only one that is and will be raised among bien pensant liberals. Personally, I cannot stomach a vote for any person on this list:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-resolution/6/cosponsors?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22workforce+democracy+and+fairness+act%22%5D%2C%22party%22%3A%22Democratic%22%7D
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #30413 on: January 26, 2019, 02:41:59 PM »
Ilhan Omar (D-MN) speaks out against the Venezuelan coup, she is immediately smeared as a Russian.

:-[

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #30414 on: January 26, 2019, 02:42:27 PM »
nintex, if you don't know about something it's fine to just not post

Himu

« Reply #30415 on: January 26, 2019, 02:45:19 PM »

2020's going to be a high turnout year for sure.

Dems still have room to max out their coalition, too. Even with the higher turnout last year compared to other midterms, the electorate was older and whiter than you'd expect for a presidential cycle. So there's at least the potential for them to do very well two elections in a row, like in 2006/2008. Also a lot more Republican Senate seats up for grabs than Democratic ones this time, but the map is pretty daunting.

2020 will be high turnout but how much do you think it'll fare compared to 2008? What are other years of record high voter turnout and what was their context?
IYKYK

Tripon

Kara

« Reply #30417 on: January 26, 2019, 02:49:47 PM »
The billoinaires and CEO's were asked about her comments at Davos and they laughed.

To this day the U.S. still hasn't honored its reciprocity commitments under FATCA. The participating countries still participate because they can't do anything about it.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #30418 on: January 26, 2019, 02:52:59 PM »
2020 will be high turnout but how much do you think it'll fare compared to 2008? What are other years of record high voter turnout and what was their context?

Stop treating me like Google! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_turnout_in_the_United_States_presidential_elections (voting age was lowered from 21 to 18 in 1971, hence the drop-off)

Rule of thumb is that if people are generally content and the stakes seem not as high, turnout will be lower. So during the boom years of the mid-late 90's it dips, then spikes back up as the Iraq War and the global financial collapse get people fired up.

Himu

« Reply #30419 on: January 26, 2019, 02:55:27 PM »
Ilhan Omar (D-MN) speaks out against the Venezuelan coup, she is immediately smeared as a Russian.

:-[

Ultimately a blue check doesn't mean much. He doesn't have actual power. He's a journalist who is probably dirt poor. She (Omar) however is an actual elected official. She matters; he doesn't.
IYKYK