Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5450220 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: US Politics Thread |OT| Unemployed...in GREENLAND!
« Reply #43141 on: September 11, 2019, 10:43:25 PM »

to make sure he's dead?

benjipwns

« Reply #43142 on: September 11, 2019, 10:45:19 PM »
Regular readers know that we withhold Pinocchios when a politician admits error. Biden was on his way to Four Pinocchios until his staff acknowledged that he misspoke. So we will leave this unrated and let readers make their own decision.

kingv

« Reply #43143 on: September 11, 2019, 10:48:36 PM »
I really thought it was going to be “for scamming pussy”.

Edit: really hate the way that article is written, it reminds me of wine moms pretending to be black.

benjipwns

« Reply #43144 on: September 11, 2019, 11:02:46 PM »
Edit: really hate the way that article is written, it reminds me of wine moms pretending to be black.
FACT CHECK:
ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Michael Harriot
World-renowned wypipologist. Getter and doer of "it." Never reneged, never will. Last real negus alive.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #43146 on: September 11, 2019, 11:20:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/BuddJenn/status/1171808316378378241

Remember Jade Helm?

Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnn...

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #43148 on: September 11, 2019, 11:33:48 PM »
Putting aside the last time there was a big Nate Silver/Ryan Grim argument, Grim promised to just shut up and defer to Silver in the future, where did this belief that the American public is staunchly left-wing* come from?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
*relative to the status quo, still succdem left wing of fascism don't yell at me Esch
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #43149 on: September 11, 2019, 11:51:20 PM »
the true, silent, American public have always agreed with me

that's why they voted for Trump, to signal their displeasure with both the Democratic and Republican Party's refusal to eliminate the state

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #43150 on: September 11, 2019, 11:51:46 PM »
Tbh I don't see a need to give Silver's position in an argument any respect when he's not talking about polling or some similar topic where data can make a clear judgement.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #43151 on: September 12, 2019, 12:13:22 AM »
Fair enough, though I'd say the same applies to Grim minus any area of expertise.

Also I think Silver's making a pretty bland point and people are losing their shit over it.

bluemax

« Reply #43152 on: September 12, 2019, 12:16:39 AM »
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1171954220418981890

What does this even mean? He's the son of apartheid miners who has a legion of Bazinga fanboys that credit him with literally everything? Is this the main stream journalism of comparing everything that is bad and attempts to be hard with Dark Souls?
NO

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #43153 on: September 12, 2019, 12:24:56 AM »
Fair enough, though I'd say the same applies to Grim minus any area of expertise.

Also I think Silver's making a pretty bland point and people are losing their shit over it.

I think attempts to quantify where the public falls ideologically are suspect in general. Yes you can get some clues but the subject's so complex and the tools so unsophisticated. The American body politic is mainly an inert mass that can be prodded and cajoled into certain behaviors but for the most part lies dormant. Of course this cuts both ways in the Grim/Silver argument and the wider succdem/centrist neoliberal whatever one.

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1171954220418981890

What does this even mean? He's the son of apartheid miners who has a legion of Bazinga fanboys that credit him with literally everything? Is this the main stream journalism of comparing everything that is bad and attempts to be hard with Dark Souls?

They're both epic memers beloved by lames with bad senses of humor.

kingv

« Reply #43154 on: September 12, 2019, 12:26:00 AM »
An obvious counterpoint to Nate’s “Biden is the voice of America” is that many elements of Bernie and Warrens platforms poll really well when divorced from the candidate.

Yet, even that is not really sufficient to explain anything. I think that Nate has a good grasp of the statistics, but has never written a survey and never worked as any kind of market researcher. So anybody that’s ever worked professionally in market research will tell you that you can get irrational results all the damn time, even in carefully constructed surveys.

When somebody says “Biden’s policies align most closely with my own”, that doesn’t mean they are evaluating him exactly along those metrics, but are comparing him with their idea of what Biden’s policies are. 1) who knows how accurate that is 2) it probably varies a lot from candidate to candidate because some talk policy a lot and some platitudes 3) it’s probably more of a popularity contest than a true reading of their policy platform.

It doesn’t make sense to me that Biden is the candidate for the average Democrat, because there is no room to his right in the party. So who’s he in the center of? Bernie and Steve Bullock? Well why is Bullock polling at 0% then?

benjipwns

« Reply #43155 on: September 12, 2019, 12:51:19 AM »
The Democrats are going to send Joe Biden ten years into the past to replace his younger self who can come forward and be the nominee. But Joe's going to screw it up and accidentally kill his younger self destroying reality.

god damn it
[close]

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #43156 on: September 12, 2019, 09:09:11 AM »
Not Tusli? = (

There's no point in watching now.

:hmph
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 09:43:24 AM by Cauliflower Of Love »

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #43157 on: September 12, 2019, 09:26:01 AM »
Yang promised something big

Im hoping he called Trump the hard n word
:O

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #43158 on: September 12, 2019, 09:27:17 AM »
Yang promised something big

Im hoping he called Trump the hard n word

Nazi-r ?
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #43159 on: September 12, 2019, 09:30:31 AM »
I'm hoping he takes Biddy hostage. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #43160 on: September 12, 2019, 09:35:39 AM »
lol gabbard didn't qualify for tonight's debate, thank god (filler annihilated)

delaney isn't there either :rejoice

meme candidate yang made it though... i guess the clown car still has some gas in it
I fucking hate you and hope bad things happen to you you fucking dolt

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

kingv

« Reply #43162 on: September 12, 2019, 10:04:40 AM »
I definitely like Tulsia better after she went from “I’m a chick with terrible foreign policy” to “vote for me I’m hot”

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43163 on: September 12, 2019, 10:06:37 AM »
What if Yang kills his opponents live on stage? Could have a pretty big impact on his chances.
dog

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #43164 on: September 12, 2019, 10:10:23 AM »
What if Yang kills his opponents live on stage? Could have a pretty big impact on his chances.

Debate practice footage leaked from inside Yang HQ:

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #43165 on: September 12, 2019, 10:38:45 AM »
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/12/israel-white-house-spying-devices-1491351

The U.S. government concluded within the last two years that Israel was most likely behind the placement of cell-phone surveillance devices that were found near the White House and other sensitive locations around Washington, D.C., according to three former senior U.S. officials with knowledge of the matter.

But unlike most other occasions when flagrant incidents of foreign spying have been discovered on American soil, the Trump administration did not rebuke the Israeli government, and there were no consequences for Israel’s behavior, one of the former officials said.

“There were suspicions that they were listening in,” the former official said, based on his Israeli counterparts flaunting a level of detailed knowledge “that was hard to explain otherwise.”

“Sometimes it was sort of knowledge of our thinking. Occasionally there were some turns of phrase like language that as far as we knew had only appeared in drafts of speeches and never been actually used publicly, and then some Israeli official would repeat it back to us and say, ‘This would be really problematic if you were to say X,’” said the former official.

:trumps
©ZH

james

« Reply #43167 on: September 12, 2019, 10:51:35 AM »
Tulsi at 6%

:juche

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43169 on: September 12, 2019, 10:54:07 AM »
dog

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #43170 on: September 12, 2019, 11:14:57 AM »
Taxi companies are pretty shady to begin with in most cities. In Amsterdam and other Dutch cities they started protesting because Uber was putting an end to their grift of fixed fares.
As an expert on America, you know this was already the case in big cities like New York (where the city limited medallions had reached a value of $17 billion before dropping since Uber) and Chicago ($2.5 billion) not to mention the cause of strikes in podunk backwards villages like Toronto.

I don't know why governments allow medallions and other licenses to become commodities. Governments should give anyone that meets the necessary qualifications and pays the appropriate dues to regulate the field (even this is debatable) a license, and the license should be non-transferable. These artificial restrictions on who can enter a market only serve to protect existing license holders, both from competition and from losing the artificial value of their licenses.

I am representing a seller of a independent health facilities license, and he is getting bids in the seven figures for it, and one of the bidders just buys and resells licenses for a living. Why do governments create these artificial markets? How are the medical professionals who must buy this to gain access to the market served? And they will just pass on the costs to patients (which means the government and/or insurance companies). And what's the downside of giving this license to any qualified professional? Too much access to health care?

It could be argued that any licensure regime is simply protectionist, leading to less competition and higher prices for consumers. I still think they should exist, but only where there is a strong need to protect health and safety. This would probably mean that professional licensure for lawyers is unwarranted. If anything, it probably hurts the health and safety of the poor by making access to justice completely unaffordable.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #43171 on: September 12, 2019, 11:16:17 AM »
I swear I remember a story sometime in the past 2 years where Trump talked about how much money he was saving the American people by letting Fox News/news in general vet people for him

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/455998-trump-says-media-is-part-of-vetting-his-nominees-we-save-a-lot-of

"I get a name, I give it out to the press and you vet for me. A lot of time you do a very good job. Not always," Trump told reporters. "If you look at the vetting process for the White House, it is very good, but you are part of the vetting process. I give out a name to the press and you vet for me, we save a lot of money that way."

"But in the case of John, I really believe that he was being treated very harshly and very unfairly," he added.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #43173 on: September 12, 2019, 11:28:14 AM »
To my knowledge, a lot of (most ?) major cities have a licence system for taxis, with the issues being similar, so the system must have its uses at some level.
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #43174 on: September 12, 2019, 11:31:17 AM »

:rejoice

« Reply #43175 on: September 12, 2019, 11:33:25 AM »
Taxi companies are pretty shady to begin with in most cities. In Amsterdam and other Dutch cities they started protesting because Uber was putting an end to their grift of fixed fares.
As an expert on America, you know this was already the case in big cities like New York (where the city limited medallions had reached a value of $17 billion before dropping since Uber) and Chicago ($2.5 billion) not to mention the cause of strikes in podunk backwards villages like Toronto.

I don't know why governments allow medallions and other licenses to become commodities. Governments should give anyone that meets the necessary qualifications and pays the appropriate dues to regulate the field (even this is debatable) a license, and the license should be non-transferable. These artificial restrictions on who can enter a market only serve to protect existing license holders, both from competition and from losing the artificial value of their licenses.

I am representing a seller of a independent health facilities license, and he is getting bids in the seven figures for it, and one of the bidders just buys and resells licenses for a living. Why do governments create these artificial markets? How are the medical professionals who must buy this to gain access to the market served? And they will just pass on the costs to patients (which means the government and/or insurance companies). And what's the downside of giving this license to any qualified professional? Too much access to health care?

It could be argued that any licensure regime is simply protectionist, leading to less competition and higher prices for consumers. I still think they should exist, but only where there is a strong need to protect health and safety. This would probably mean that professional licensure for lawyers is unwarranted. If anything, it probably hurts the health and safety of the poor by making access to justice completely unaffordable.

The taxi medallions kind of made sense though as a way to control traffic at major intersections in big cities, before it taxis would congest and clog up all the popular spots from what I've read. Apparently Uber using technicality to get around it fucked the whole scheme up and the value of the taxi medallions have pretty much almost crashed.

james

« Reply #43176 on: September 12, 2019, 11:51:23 AM »
To my knowledge, a lot of (most ?) major cities have a licence system for taxis, with the issues being similar, so the system must have its uses at some level.

The issue with US cities is that they sold a fixed number of "medallions" as a commodity. Something you could buy, hoard, sell, etc.

The right way to do it is with annual licenses distributed via a dutch auction system.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #43177 on: September 12, 2019, 11:58:30 AM »
Ironically, places like Cali and other municipalities that are fighting off ridesharing, are just protecting the corrupt medallion systems, wittingly.

james

« Reply #43178 on: September 12, 2019, 12:03:01 PM »
Ironically, places like Cali and other municipalities that are fighting off ridesharing, are just protecting the corrupt medallion systems, wittingly.

The whole reason a limit was put in place in the first place is because in a market with near-zero barriers to entry, competition becomes perfect and no one can profit.

The result are tons of drivers going in circle with empty cars creating massive congestion while they battle for a fixed demand.

Cap is good. Medallions are bad.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #43179 on: September 12, 2019, 12:06:59 PM »
A licensure regime for taxis is fine. My main problem with Toronto's is that they limit the amount of medallions handed out and allow for a secondary market: To get a medallion, a person must a) be added to a wait list (and there are restrictions on who may be added to this list) b) buy an existing medallion (without the added restrictions). This artificially drove the value of a license to $360,000 (before Uber).

"At least 30 per cent of the industry's revenues went to people who did nothing but milk income from their licenses."
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/adventure/red-line/how-uber-is-ending-the-dirty-dealings-behind-torontos-cab-business/article25515301/

There should be no limit to the amount given out or the medallions should be non-transferable (if you don't limit the number given out there should be no resale market anyway). The only real barriers to entry should be put in place to protect the public's health and safety (such as requirements to pass the right driving tests and to get sufficient insurance). If a city thinks an unlimited number of licenses will hurt health and safety, then licenses should be randomly given out to qualified drivers.

The taxi medallions kind of made sense though as a way to control traffic at major intersections in big cities, before it taxis would congest and clog up all the popular spots from what I've read. Apparently Uber using technicality to get around it fucked the whole scheme up and the value of the taxi medallions have pretty much almost crashed.
Single-driver cars also clog up streets. Should we use a medallion system for all licenses?

Cities could use parking enforcement to prevent idling etc. To help control taxi traffic, and traffic in general, they could use tolls, congestion pricing, or, I don't know--build fucking decent public transit. I'm looking at you, Toronto.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #43180 on: September 12, 2019, 12:10:04 PM »

The whole reason a limit was put in place in the first place is because in a market with near-zero barriers to entry, competition becomes perfect and no one can profit.

The result are tons of drivers going in circle with empty cars creating massive congestion while they battle for a fixed demand.

Just because there aren't regulatory barriers doesn't mean there aren't barriers.
Capital costs (car), insurance costs, marketing, etc.

james

« Reply #43181 on: September 12, 2019, 12:15:37 PM »
Single-driver cars also clog up streets. Should we use a medallion system for all licenses?

Cities could use parking enforcement to prevent idling etc. To help control taxi traffic, and traffic in general, they could use tolls, congestion pricing, or, I don't know--build fucking decent public transit. I'm looking at you, Toronto.

The difference is that when a private car reaches its destination, it leaves the road network by entering a parking space. At that point, it no longer contributes to congestion.

A taxi/uber spends about 50% of the time insie the road network without a passenger.

Additionally, some places DO have a "medallion" system for private licenses. You are only allowed to purchase a car with proof that you have a private parking space available. I think this is true in Singapore and some other asian cities.

Just because there aren't regulatory barriers doesn't mean there aren't barriers.

Except that many (most) people already own a car and thus those are sunk costs. The only barrier to enter the Uber market is a very quick background check.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #43182 on: September 12, 2019, 12:16:00 PM »

The issue with US cities is that they sold a fixed number of "medallions" as a commodity. Something you could buy, hoard, sell, etc.

The right way to do it is with annual licenses distributed via a dutch auction system.

It was the same in France until 5 years ago (the norm is the same everywhere though local authorities are in charge of managing them, at least in Paris it's the prefect). Per Wiki up to 1973 the licences returned to authorities once the holder no longer used it but between 1973 and 2014 the holders could sell and transfer them. Now apparently it's a five year, non transferable, renewable certification.

I mean yeah there's systemic issues with that scheme but it's obviously an easy way to impose much higher "quality control" on drivers, minimizing the amount of customers getting defrauded by clandestine taxis and to keep the wages above acceptable levels. Not to cover it with laurels, I had my fair share of Uber rides because of prices but I'm sure you all soon got a hint in the chit chat that Uber drivers are not making a boatload of cash / that they work long shifts (which in itself could already amount to a safety hazard).
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #43184 on: September 12, 2019, 01:08:17 PM »
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/12/israel-white-house-spying-devices-1491351

The U.S. government concluded within the last two years that Israel was most likely behind the placement of cell-phone surveillance devices that were found near the White House and other sensitive locations around Washington, D.C., according to three former senior U.S. officials with knowledge of the matter.

But unlike most other occasions when flagrant incidents of foreign spying have been discovered on American soil, the Trump administration did not rebuke the Israeli government, and there were no consequences for Israel’s behavior, one of the former officials said.

“There were suspicions that they were listening in,” the former official said, based on his Israeli counterparts flaunting a level of detailed knowledge “that was hard to explain otherwise.”

“Sometimes it was sort of knowledge of our thinking. Occasionally there were some turns of phrase like language that as far as we knew had only appeared in drafts of speeches and never been actually used publicly, and then some Israeli official would repeat it back to us and say, ‘This would be really problematic if you were to say X,’” said the former official.

:trumps
They should've just asked Kushner to put his phone on speaker or follow @realDonaldTrump like the rest of the planet does :idont
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #43186 on: September 12, 2019, 01:41:22 PM »
That's quite the ball fondle he's giving to trump there without actually saying anything.

:rofl

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #43187 on: September 12, 2019, 01:52:04 PM »

The difference is that when a private car reaches its destination, it leaves the road network by entering a parking space. At that point, it no longer contributes to congestion.

A taxi/uber spends about 50% of the time insie the road network without a passenger.

Additionally, some places DO have a "medallion" system for private licenses. You are only allowed to purchase a car with proof that you have a private parking space available. I think this is true in Singapore and some other asian cities.

Except that many (most) people already own a car and thus those are sunk costs. The only barrier to enter the Uber market is a very quick background check.

I didn't ask whether a private medallion systems existed (I already knew about Singapore). My point was that if you support a medallion system for taxis and ride-shares to reduce traffic, why don’t you support one for private cars? They idle less?

Private cars, which usually have no additional passengers, need two parking spots (home and destination), which helps lead to urban sprawl (parking for work, shopping, restaurants, etc.). And in most cities, there are just a ton more private cars on the road than taxis or ride-shares--so they're usually a bigger problem, even if they are not a bigger problem per car.

Edit:

Taxis and ride sharing services (though mostly ride sharing) are bad for city congestion, and they should be discouraged. I offered some suggestions: tolls and congestion pricing. These can be applied to private cars, which also lead to congestion. I could also add a taxi tax or a rush-hour tax specifically for taxis and ride sharing services.

Uber drivers are employees/contractors. They are not entering a market--they are getting a shitty job with no protections. They would face barrier if they were starting their own taxi or ride-share companies.

kingv

« Reply #43188 on: September 12, 2019, 01:53:59 PM »
Medallions should be physical objects you wear.

And they should be made by Jacob the Jeweler.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #43189 on: September 12, 2019, 01:54:30 PM »
I think Yang is going to chain himself to the stage
I'm going with video calling Trump so he can show why an Asian who likes math is the best bet against Donald Trump.
🤴

james

« Reply #43190 on: September 12, 2019, 02:08:36 PM »

I didn't ask whether a private medallion systems existed (I already knew about Singapore). My point was that if you support a medallion system for taxis and ride-shares to reduce traffic, why don’t you support one for private cars? They idle less?

????

When did I say that I didnt?

Stop making shit up.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #43191 on: September 12, 2019, 02:34:15 PM »
I didn't ask whether a private medallion systems existed (I already knew about Singapore). My point was that if you support a medallion system for taxis and ride-shares to reduce traffic, why don't you support one for private cars? They idle less?

????

Stop making shit up.

If you support a licensing cap for taxis and ride-shares to reduce traffic, why don't you support one for private cars?

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #43192 on: September 12, 2019, 02:35:14 PM »
I'm still rocking my Motherland Medallion.
©ZH

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #43193 on: September 12, 2019, 02:50:38 PM »
Want to watch the debate tonight but I don’t think I have any access to abc or Univision

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #43194 on: September 12, 2019, 02:52:20 PM »
🤴

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #43195 on: September 12, 2019, 02:53:21 PM »
Want to watch the debate tonight but I don’t think I have any access to abc or Univision
https://abc.go.com/watch-live should have it if you don't have an antenna

or just watch football instead like everyone else :D

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #43196 on: September 12, 2019, 02:54:21 PM »
The ABC live stream is not available in your area. We are working to add more cities and TV providers. :’(

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #43197 on: September 12, 2019, 02:55:59 PM »
The ABC live stream is not available in your area. We are working to add more cities and TV providers. :’(
Once it starts just search: "Debate live" on YouTube or something. It's bound be on there.
🤴

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #43198 on: September 12, 2019, 02:57:14 PM »
i used to use puffer a lot at one point, not sure if it's still any good

https://puffer.stanford.edu/

james

« Reply #43199 on: September 12, 2019, 03:07:58 PM »
I didn't ask whether a private medallion systems existed (I already knew about Singapore). My point was that if you support a medallion system for taxis and ride-shares to reduce traffic, why don't you support one for private cars? They idle less?

????

Stop making shit up.

If you support a licensing cap for taxis and ride-shares to reduce traffic, why don't you support one for private cars?

????

Stop making shit up.