Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5448250 times)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: US Politics Thread |OT| Getting a little fashy up in here
« Reply #64680 on: July 27, 2020, 02:01:25 PM »
agreed but that only kicks in 60 days later, so for the moment they're still getting boosted benefits
每天生气

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #64682 on: July 27, 2020, 02:05:25 PM »
agreed but that only kicks in 60 days later, so for the moment they're still getting boosted benefits

60 days from now is.... September 27th. So right after Fall and Flu season starts. 

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #64683 on: July 27, 2020, 02:07:10 PM »
$400 a week is still a severe cut, especially for those at the low end.

Normally I'd say the Dems have some decent leverage here, but that's undercut by the whole GOP insane death cult thing.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #64684 on: July 27, 2020, 02:12:05 PM »
I don't get why Trump doesn't call for a $1000 a week until January 1st.
He'd coast to reelection claiming all the credit.
🤴

Tripon

« Reply #64685 on: July 27, 2020, 02:12:47 PM »
GOP could have had 70% of wages if they just pushed it at the start of the pandemic in March, and tie it to payroll. There, no issue with millions of people filing for unemployment, they'll save more money in the long run and follow Europe and Asia's model on how to get people though a couple of months of pain.

Instead, we got... this.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #64686 on: July 27, 2020, 02:13:51 PM »
He'd coast to reelection claiming all the credit.

It's almost like he's a boss first and a president second.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #64687 on: July 27, 2020, 02:14:13 PM »

a true fuckin' mystery

shosta

« Reply #64688 on: July 27, 2020, 02:15:07 PM »
Do we even have a federal disbursement system in this country besides social security?
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #64689 on: July 27, 2020, 02:18:20 PM »
GOP could have had 70% of wages if they just pushed it at the start of the pandemic in March, and tie it to payroll. There, no issue with millions of people filing for unemployment, they'll save more money in the long run and follow Europe and Asia's model on how to get people though a couple of months of pain.

That would have had its own administrative bottlenecks, and 70% wage replacement isn't so great in a country where you don't have strong sector-level unions and/or a robust tax & transfer system.

Do we even have a federal disbursement system in this country besides social security?

The IRS, which is why those two were the main routes to send out the $1,200 checks.

Tripon

« Reply #64690 on: July 27, 2020, 02:19:22 PM »

Even as wonky and broken as the Small business PPP loans were, they were able to distribute some of that money. There's a number of payroll companies that people use, the federal government could have contract with them, and have the IRS or another government agency audit them when needed.

Yes, there would be fraud, but that's a smaller number than the fuckery we're going though now with unemployment system done state by state, I think.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #64691 on: July 27, 2020, 02:25:23 PM »
The VBA.

e: RRB too depending on how distinct you think it is from the SSA.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 02:32:05 PM by Kara »

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #64692 on: July 27, 2020, 02:33:24 PM »
What if they draft everyone into the military and then use the enormous military budget to pay everyone 2000 a month
:O

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #64693 on: July 27, 2020, 02:49:12 PM »
we cannot open ourselves up to Canadian aggression

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #64694 on: July 27, 2020, 02:51:33 PM »
That should be the liberal plan. Mandatory draft at 18, then you get health care, free schooling and a living wage for the rest of your life.  If the conservatives try to cut spending, you can paint them as freedom-hating, defense- weakening ninnies.

Kara

« Reply #64695 on: July 27, 2020, 02:52:02 PM »
What if they draft everyone into the military and then use the enormous military budget to pay everyone 2000 a month

Service guarantees citizenship!

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #64696 on: July 27, 2020, 02:52:33 PM »
That should be the liberal plan. Mandatory draft at 18, then you get health care, free schooling and a living wage for the rest of your life.  If the conservatives try to cut spending, you can paint them as freedom-hating, defense- weakening ninnies.

Tricare4All

shosta

« Reply #64697 on: July 27, 2020, 03:26:57 PM »
Attacking the foundational mythology of the United States has serious ideological consequences. If the United States is more wrong than right then the whole basis of nationalism is at risk.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #64698 on: July 27, 2020, 03:32:39 PM »
But like...you don't lose anything but being aware of that or admitting it. In fact a lot of white people seem to benefit from admitting it.

I feel a wrasslin' connoisseur should appreciate the power and depth of nationalism, among other tribal affiliations.

Kara

« Reply #64699 on: July 27, 2020, 03:41:34 PM »
Attacking the foundational mythology of the United States has serious ideological consequences. If the United States is more wrong than right then the whole basis of nationalism is at risk.

Hard not to draw a through line from Trump discarding the Iran and Cuba deals, to DAPL, to the opposition to the Panama Canal Treaty, to (ultimately) the litany of broken treaties with the tribal nations of North America way back when. The rule of law is very important, except as it pertains to the peoples of the Americas.

I believe 1619 posits that the final grievance in the grievance studies Declaration of Independence refers in part to the Crown making treaties to prevent westward expansion into tribal nations.

shosta

« Reply #64700 on: July 27, 2020, 03:45:04 PM »
edit: ok maybe I remembered incorrectly
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 03:49:08 PM by shosta »
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #64701 on: July 27, 2020, 03:48:05 PM »
He once held an opponent's wife's hand in a jar of acid at a party.
©@©™

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #64702 on: July 27, 2020, 03:49:11 PM »
he'll save the children

spoiler (click to show/hide)
not the British children
[close]

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #64703 on: July 27, 2020, 03:52:17 PM »
linked in another article, bit older but I hadn't seen this one.  :doge

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-the-victim-president-complains-in-private-about-the-pandemic-hurting-himself/2020/07/09/187142c6-c089-11ea-864a-0dd31b9d6917_story.html

“We had the greatest economy in the world,” Trump said in an Oval Office meeting last month, talking about how good the statistics were before the coronavirus, said one adviser. An outside adviser in frequent touch with the White House offered a similar recollection, saying that Trump simply keeps on repeating, “I had this great economy and they made me shut it down.”

Another adviser who chatted with Trump about a month ago said the president opened with a lengthy rant expressing animus toward reporters — with Trump citing individual names of journalists and specific stories, particularly those about the coronavirus recovery. This person added that Trump also railed about pollsters being out to get him and deliberately sampling the wrong voters, and complained he was being blamed for protests that he had nothing to do with.

A third outside adviser in frequent touch with the White House said that in a recent conversation, the president seemed almost “inconsolable” and summed up Trump’s riff: Gripes about the great economy he built, now felled by the virus, and also how “some stupid cop in Minneapolis kneels on someone’s neck and now everyone is protesting.”

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #64704 on: July 27, 2020, 03:57:33 PM »
Who knew that being president would mean actually having to deal with difficult stuff, and not just throwing out first pitches at Yankees games and sitting in big trucks all day
©@©™

shosta

« Reply #64705 on: July 27, 2020, 04:00:00 PM »
Hard not to draw a through line from Trump discarding the Iran and Cuba deals, to DAPL, to the opposition to the Panama Canal Treaty, to (ultimately) the litany of broken treaties with the tribal nations of North America way back when. The rule of law is very important, except as it pertains to the peoples of the Americas.

I believe 1619 posits that the final grievance in the grievance studies Declaration of Independence refers in part to the Crown making treaties to prevent westward expansion into tribal nations.
good points about rule of law. I was thinking more about American Exceptionalism and natural rights. If you think that your country represents a world historic revolution and the first ever pure born child of the Enlightenment, then focusing "too much" on the true economic foundation of the United States is both misguided and part of a subversive liberal project to destroy America. Of course people are mad about it.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #64706 on: July 27, 2020, 04:18:12 PM »
linked in another article, bit older but I hadn't seen this one.  :doge

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-the-victim-president-complains-in-private-about-the-pandemic-hurting-himself/2020/07/09/187142c6-c089-11ea-864a-0dd31b9d6917_story.html

If he loses the election, consider how completely checked out he'll be during the lame duck period.

Imagine another virus spike in November. He'd give even less of a shit.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #64707 on: July 27, 2020, 04:21:48 PM »
Who knew that being president would mean actually having to deal with difficult stuff, and not just throwing out first pitches at Yankees games and sitting in big trucks all day

The Vice President was suppose to deal with domestic and foreign policy :(

shosta

« Reply #64709 on: July 27, 2020, 06:05:22 PM »
Just realized... contrary to what some pundits have said about the optics of law enforcement on the left, I bet Biden picks former police officer Val Demings in order to signal to certain voters that his ticket isn't anti-police. :beli
每天生气

Tripon

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #64712 on: July 27, 2020, 06:43:16 PM »
chuck schumer

more like chuck boomer

amirite

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #64713 on: July 27, 2020, 06:44:59 PM »
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1287851341726048257
They will have a good old politics to make it look like it was a hard decision to type 3 trillion into a computer.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1287880377797763074

These absolute clowns  :lol
🤴

shosta

« Reply #64714 on: July 27, 2020, 06:47:44 PM »
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1287851341726048257
Chuck has to know that Republicans are more desperate than them. If they can't come to an agreement the public will punish Republicans, not Democrats. Same thing with the government shutdown.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #64716 on: July 27, 2020, 06:54:50 PM »
Chuck has to know that Republicans are more desperate than them. If they can't come to an agreement the public will punish Republicans, not Democrats. Same thing with the government shutdown.

Normally I'd say the Dems have some decent leverage here, but that's undercut by the whole GOP insane death cult thing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #64717 on: July 27, 2020, 07:14:48 PM »
The FBI building was a demand from the White House, it is to be constructed for $1.75 billion across the street from the Trump Washington Hotel  :lol

Even Mitch knows this shit is dead in the water with that building as a demand.  :dead
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1287883957732745217

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1287870332074725376

:trumps

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1287880895051907072

The President is still very much LASER FOCUSED
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:22:23 PM by Nintex »
🤴

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #64718 on: July 27, 2020, 07:28:13 PM »
Have more hopes for the lottery ticket I bought today than for something good to come out of these negotiations

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #64719 on: July 27, 2020, 07:35:35 PM »
Last time McConnell brought the Republican-only bill up for a vote with the idea it would put pressure on Dems to accept it or be seen as obstructing in the midst of a crisis. They're not bringing this one up for a vote, which should mean they realize the weakness of their hand?

But I honestly don't know what to expect. The GOP's just so dysfunctional, they seem to really resent the bonus UI from the phase 3 bill, and a good chunk of their caucus is fine letting everything go to hell even though they're the incumbent party with an election in a few months.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #64720 on: July 27, 2020, 07:40:17 PM »
So the FBI building plot thickens. Apparently the FBI wanted to move, but Trump is afraid that if they do a competitor might take over their old building and compete with his hotel in the same area.
The wording is very specific about a new building being constructed at the current site to prevent someone else from taking over the lease.

Essentially this 'relief package' contains a $1.75 billion bribe for the President that protects his hotel business along with a deduction for hotels, entertainment and restaurants that benefit his hotel and golf businesses :doge
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64721 on: July 27, 2020, 07:49:16 PM »
Twitter trending is illegal because the trends are mean to him

How is this man the most powerful person in the world

Because America
dog

Tripon

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #64723 on: July 27, 2020, 09:11:56 PM »
You know it’s bad when Lou Dobbs has a meltdown with Ed Rollins about reality.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1287867991514742784 :-\

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #64724 on: July 27, 2020, 10:13:55 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #64725 on: July 28, 2020, 01:10:03 AM »
The University of Notre Dame has become the second university to withdraw as the host of one of this fall’s three scheduled presidential debates amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The university was set to host the inaugural face-off between President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden on Sept. 29. The first debate will now be hosted by Case Western Reserve University and Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, the nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates announced Monday.

The commission has selected Cleveland Clinic as its health adviser for all three presidential debates and the one scheduled vice presidential debate.
UNFAIR! ILLEGAL!

benjipwns

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #64728 on: July 28, 2020, 04:25:53 AM »
S P A C E  H O R S E  :rejoice
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #64730 on: July 28, 2020, 10:31:06 AM »
This is all stupid and embarrassing and leading indirectly to many more people dying, but as a longtime forums poster it is a bit gratifying to see the culture of my people (posting & complaining about the mods) accepted by the mainstream.

Kara

« Reply #64731 on: July 28, 2020, 01:57:46 PM »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:drudge

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1288132122109079552

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #64732 on: July 28, 2020, 02:02:58 PM »
The poors. :success
©@©™

shosta

« Reply #64733 on: July 28, 2020, 02:03:03 PM »
:beli
每天生气

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #64734 on: July 28, 2020, 02:05:09 PM »
guys don't get mad, VOTE!!
pcp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #64735 on: July 28, 2020, 02:09:18 PM »
Thank God no one voted for Bernie Sanders, he's not even a real Democrat.
©@©™

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #64736 on: July 28, 2020, 02:11:46 PM »
maybe if the poors donated as much to the party as the rich and the corps they'd act in their interests too :trumps
(ice)

Tripon

« Reply #64737 on: July 28, 2020, 02:16:06 PM »
Hoyer won his primary already, btw.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #64738 on: July 28, 2020, 02:22:17 PM »
https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/1288169306900045825

Justice Infrastructure Reform Week coming soon !
ὕβρις

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #64739 on: July 28, 2020, 02:27:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/1288169306900045825

Justice Infrastructure Reform Week coming soon !

lol

dude's like " i can get 7 to 9 years?"