Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5527781 times)

Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Okay friend let me explain something...
« Reply #11160 on: November 19, 2017, 05:10:39 PM »
"Flat earthers can be safely ignored"

"Creationists can be safely ignored"

"Objectivists can be safely ignored"

Nazis and those overly concerned about ethics in video game journalism, as well

:doge

I really wish you post this in the Resetera thread.

Haha, fuck that cesspool. I'm not sure why the truly shitbin tier posters aren't just turfed.

You just sounded worse than Etiolate.

eleuin

• perennial loser
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Okay friend let me explain something...
« Reply #11161 on: November 20, 2017, 12:16:10 AM »
Shaun King using the nword  :cac

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #11162 on: November 20, 2017, 12:25:09 AM »

Haha, fuck that cesspool. I'm not sure why the truly shitbin tier posters aren't just turfed.

Sounds like we got a shitbin poster.

:jawalrus
yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11163 on: November 20, 2017, 12:30:16 AM »
Dammit, don't encourage those quote pyramids.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11164 on: November 20, 2017, 01:02:14 AM »

Untrue. Nazis need to be punched.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #11165 on: November 20, 2017, 01:06:41 AM »
Dammit, don't encourage those quote pyramids.

Careful or I'll start fisking
yar

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #11166 on: November 20, 2017, 01:53:29 AM »
In all the excitement I forgot one reason I came in this thread the other day, the best disaster of a called press conference since the BUTT CHUGGING one from those frat boys:

I really liked the woman in dark blue who starts just before the 24 minute mark. She saved the thing after a couple of crappy downer speakers and turned it into one that made me proud to be an American.

Not the best moment, but is from Roy Moore's wife and a good example of some of the great that's within:

LIEBERAL MEDIA AMBUSHES INNOCENT PATRIOTIC CHRISTIAN LADY WHO KNOWS WHO IS BEHIND THE LIES BUT DOESN'T WANT TO SAY*:

*as it would be rude to say something like that on TV...BUT IT WAS PROBABLY LUTHER STRANGE WHO DID IT

benjipwns

« Reply #11167 on: November 20, 2017, 01:58:53 AM »
Speaking of MSNBC and Roy Moore, I think someone is deliberately booking and holding these people for the hour while Velshi and Ruhle host:

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11168 on: November 20, 2017, 03:48:38 AM »
Listening to commentary here in France, the Asian trip of Trump didn't impress. Basically everyone agrees the US is running circles like an headless chicken, Trump only further confusing the issue by swinging between the idea of a G2 between the USA and China and mentioning an "Indo Pacific zone" where India would counter balance China. The lack of any lip service to human rights was duly noted.

With no clear policy, Trump is paving the way of of the whole region accepting Chinese leadership.
ὕβρις

Trurl

« Reply #11169 on: November 20, 2017, 10:01:39 AM »
Benji, is that Khalid Abdul Muhammad video that you posted up thread from the speech that got him removed from the Nation of Islam?

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #11170 on: November 20, 2017, 10:16:28 AM »
I'm getting real tired of people on the right who preach personal responsibility and accountability  from one side of their mouth and then try to tell you how they are being oppressed as a white male from the other side of their mouth.

It's weird to see them engage in these politics of victimhood when they know how toxic it can be (when they point it out on the left). It must resonate with younger people who are at the bottom of the social/fiscal ladder and are trying to find a place in their world.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #11171 on: November 20, 2017, 11:12:58 AM »
I'm getting real tired of people on the right who preach personal responsibility and accountability  from one side of their mouth and then try to tell you how they are being oppressed as a white male from the other side of their mouth.

It's weird to see them engage in these politics of victimhood when they know how toxic it can be (when they point it out on the left). It must resonate with younger people who are at the bottom of the social/fiscal ladder and are trying to find a place in their world.

Haha, it's cute that you ascribe a milligram of self-awareness to these turds
yar

Boredfrom

« Reply #11172 on: November 20, 2017, 11:51:38 AM »

You?

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #11173 on: November 20, 2017, 12:17:22 PM »
Haha, it's cute that you ascribe a milligram of self-awareness to these turds

It just illustrates that when you resign yourself to a certain political dogma, you set yourself up for these kinds of hypocrisies or 'blind spots'

agrajag

« Reply #11174 on: November 20, 2017, 12:23:30 PM »

You?

enough with the pyramid quoting :stop

ok

oh no baby what is you doing

agrajag

« Reply #11175 on: November 20, 2017, 12:34:36 PM »
there's serious allegations of harassment and all you can think of is how hot she is you shitlord  ::)

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #11176 on: November 20, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »

You?

I'm sorry I besmirched the honor and reputation of all the good posters that just stick to the shitburger other forum thread

:badass
yar

kingv

« Reply #11177 on: November 20, 2017, 01:05:48 PM »
Franken keeps up on that milf genre.

I respect his taste.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11178 on: November 20, 2017, 01:16:18 PM »
Menz said she was encouraged to come forward after Tweeden came forward last week. Although she and her husband voted for Donald Trump in November, Menz said neither is registered with a political party and have voted for both Democrats and Republicans in the past. Menz could not remember if she voted for Franken.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/20/second-woman-comes-forward-to-say-al-franken-inappropriately-touched-her

Trurl

« Reply #11179 on: November 20, 2017, 01:17:35 PM »
Fuck, another Franken accusation.

I'm changing my mind and think that he needs to go.  Hopefully soon to send a powerful message.  It's the most good that he can do now.

Nola

« Reply #11180 on: November 20, 2017, 02:21:35 PM »
Fuck, another Franken accusation.

I'm changing my mind and think that he needs to go.  Hopefully soon to send a powerful message.  It's the most good that he can do now.

Here’s where I’m struggling with this.

Franken has two incidents right now, objectively, neither really cross over into much more than kinda sleazy creep. To which he is apologetic about and the more pertinent context, the first victim and him have had closure and she forgives him. After Franken reached out and publicly apologized, acted proactive toward the situation in calling for an investigation. Has been an ally of systemic changes his whole career. Granted this apology was after the fact, not before, which is a problem in and of itself. But that too may be complicated depending on how Franken and others are handled IMO.

First off I struggle putting George H W Bush and the Al Franken’s on the moral equivalency plane of the Roy Moore’s, Roger Ailes, or even Bill Clinton’s. Not that people here are doing it necessarily. But the sought after sentencing for all seem to be the same: publicly shame, career ruined, legacy actions removed from public consciousness, walk away from your occupation and passions and never come back.

It’s more a question of concern about correction vs over-correction and potential self-defeating behavior/unintended consequences.

Should improprieties like this come with social pillorying? I definitely think so. As it speaks to and aides in improving social norms and customs still steeped in patriarchal behavior. But should we be reflecting out that genuine remorse, redemption, reconciliation, and willing rehabilitation are not enough? Blood must be demanded every time? That the victimizer’s context and post incident behavior and actions barely, if at all, register into the social sentencing? And what are the consequences of arranging a social structure where doing the right thing is treated that way? That coming forward yourself, even in a state of remorse and rehabilitation, may be the same sentence as being exposed for indefinite deception or apathy? Crimes big and small. All while contrasted with a counterforce from the Trump’s and Moore’s who signal that the best and most successful defense is a good offense and a strong lie.

I don’t know if I have the answers there but it is something I’ve been mulling about. And well before Franken.

Boredfrom

« Reply #11181 on: November 20, 2017, 02:47:01 PM »
I think you guys are going to be in that crossroads until the general public gets why making equivalences of what they did like Al Franken with Trump is kind of desingenious. Is more disturbing that the best defense the WH has about being called out of this shit is "because Trump will not admit it".

That said, I think politicians should have standards, specially when is about what they preach. The risk of stuff like dismissing stuff like this is a greater decline in the political discourse (already in a low place because Trump).

kingv

« Reply #11182 on: November 20, 2017, 05:10:34 PM »
Franken is fine. What he did was perhaps sleazy, but are we really going to call it bad enough to resign from?

At worst, he took some tamely inappropriate photographs and convinced that chick to kiss him on stage, when his official job was comedian

And some rando comes out and accuses him of grabbing her ass at the Minnesota state fair? Like if this is the level we are holding all of ourselves too, hold on to your seats, because a whole lot of people have done sketchy shit at some point in their lives. At some point you have to weigh how serious each accusation is. Was it illegal? Was it an abuse of power? Is it possible that this was a situation that was misconstrued?

I think the answer is both of the above cases is no, no, and yes. Anyone SEE his hand on her ass? Is it in the photo? Did she even see his hand on her ass or was she busy taking the photo? Was maybe something else touching her ass that she thought was his hand?

I just can’t be bothered to care about how some dude takes a sloppy pass at some chick and say he should get anything more than side eye for it.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #11184 on: November 20, 2017, 07:08:47 PM »
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #11185 on: November 20, 2017, 07:16:58 PM »
Holy shit I did not mean to quadruple post spam. I was getting status code 500 over and over again.
每天生气

« Reply #11186 on: November 20, 2017, 07:21:07 PM »
Ultra Combo. :doge

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11187 on: November 20, 2017, 08:00:59 PM »
Holy shit I did not mean to quadruple post spam. I was getting status code 500 over and over again.

It's worth checking in if the message went through yeah. Also when disconnected on a phone. Most often than not, it did.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 06:15:36 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #11188 on: November 21, 2017, 01:34:32 AM »
Surprised there's been no mention of this here
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/20/politics/president-donald-trump-north-korea-terrorism/index.html
bang that war drum :trumps
Hi

benjipwns

« Reply #11189 on: November 21, 2017, 02:39:31 AM »
The Bore is funny unique in my experience with forums about this, usually your post still goes through. If you can pop open a duplicate tab or whatever and check the thread, like 95% of the time your post went through still and will be there. Only time it was failing more than not was when we got GAF flooded.

I think part of it is that the 500 error that randomly will pop up like that is actually for the attempt to return you to the page after your post, I think the page in the url is the postredirect one.

agrajag

« Reply #11190 on: November 21, 2017, 03:00:40 AM »
I've noticed that and haven't had a duplicate post since  :D

I've always considered it good etiquette to check if your post went through, I used to do it back on GAF even.

benjipwns

« Reply #11191 on: November 21, 2017, 06:03:28 AM »
Was Trump's accusing Cruz of being the Zodiac Killer part of a cover op?
http://www.newsweek.com/how-murderer-charles-manson-and-donald-trump-used-language-gain-followers-717399

benjipwns

« Reply #11192 on: November 21, 2017, 04:50:11 PM »
President Donald Trump on Tuesday said Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore "totally denies" recent allegations that he years ago pursued inappropriate relationships with younger women and said Republicans "don't need a liberal person" to win the seat.

Trump noted that the allegations involved years-old incidents and said Democrat Doug Jones' record was "terrible on crime. It's terrible on the border. It's terrible on the military."
:trumps

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11193 on: November 21, 2017, 05:01:30 PM »
Soft on crime unless you're a member of the KKK, but I'm sure Trump just meant black people crime and MS-13 flooding the Alabama border.
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #11194 on: November 21, 2017, 05:02:20 PM »
*the alabama-mexico border

benjipwns

« Reply #11195 on: November 21, 2017, 05:02:50 PM »
He didn't say soft on crime, he said terrible on crime! :bolo

Boredfrom

« Reply #11196 on: November 21, 2017, 05:07:41 PM »
President Donald Trump on Tuesday said Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore "totally denies" recent allegations that he years ago pursued inappropriate relationships with younger women and said Republicans "don't need a liberal person" to win the seat.

Trump noted that the allegations involved years-old incidents and said Democrat Doug Jones' record was "terrible on crime. It's terrible on the border. It's terrible on the military."

Like said before, to Trump there is no problem unless they admit wrong doing.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #11197 on: November 21, 2017, 07:56:50 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-11-20/gop-surrenders-cherished-irs-scandal-at-last

What’s more, none of the groups actually needed IRS approval to operate. “These organizations didn’t have to wait for the IRS to tell them anything to go into business,” Koskinen said in a telephone interview last week.

Yet the IRS clearly applied extra scrutiny to groups that it thought might be engaged in too much politics to warrant the preferential tax designation. One way IRS personnel did that was to look for key words, such as “Tea Party.” Other words that triggered IRS scrutiny included: “Occupy,” “green energy,” “medical marijuana” and “progressive.”

Contrary to the Republican story, the IRS never targeted conservatives. The IRS targeted politics, which was pretty much what it was supposed to do.

In September, the Trump Justice Department reaffirmed the decision of the Obama Justice Department not to prosecute Lois Lerner, the IRS bureaucrat whom Republicans settled on as a criminal mastermind after they had failed to find an exploitable connection to Obama.

“The great thing about it for the Freedom Caucus and Capitol Hill,” Koskinen said of the GOP’s investigative shtick, “was that it could keep going. You start with the substance of the issue and, when that runs out, you go to the process. And when that runs out, you go after the messenger.”
End of a fake news era.  :'(
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:01:34 PM by Brehvolution »
©ZH

shosta

« Reply #11198 on: November 21, 2017, 08:24:11 PM »
Was there even an actual Obama scandal besides Fast and Furious?
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11199 on: November 21, 2017, 08:51:19 PM »
There was some nasty shit done in terms of surveillance/military operations/foreign policy with a sketchy legal basis but that wouldn't really count as a "scandal" since it's largely accepted/ignored.

And, uh, there was the Tom Daschle nomination.

agrajag

« Reply #11200 on: November 21, 2017, 09:15:32 PM »
The Snowden NSA spying stuff I guess?

shosta

« Reply #11201 on: November 21, 2017, 09:22:29 PM »
You know what's crazy to me about the Snowden info dump released by The Guardian is not the metadata spying stuff which I can barely muster the energy to care about but the PRISM program which purported that the US and British intelligence agencies had already compromised most of the widely used SSL implementations and thus backdoored themselves in major tech firms across the internet. To me that was a far more damning breach of public trust but I didn't hear much about it in the typical news circles (probably because it's harder to explain).
每天生气

« Reply #11202 on: November 21, 2017, 09:46:08 PM »

Nothing personal or morally evil beyond reproach.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #11203 on: November 21, 2017, 10:04:42 PM »

Benghazi.

benjipwns

« Reply #11204 on: November 21, 2017, 10:26:34 PM »
You know what's crazy to me about the Snowden info dump released by The Guardian is not the metadata spying stuff which I can barely muster the energy to care about but the PRISM program which purported that the US and British intelligence agencies had already compromised most of the widely used SSL implementations and thus backdoored themselves in major tech firms across the internet. To me that was a far more damning breach of public trust but I didn't hear much about it in the typical news circles (probably because it's harder to explain).
Because they don't even understand what it means probably. This has happened before too, there was an instance someone got caught submitting revisions to a bunch of linux packages that would have effectively put a bunch of backdoors into them and it got traced back to some intelligence agency. (Not saying it was the US...might have been China.)

There was a NeoGAF.com thread I remember where it felt like me and Stump were the only ones arguing against letting the government be given a backdoor into some technology or something because it would violate basic security design, not even because it was the government doing it. :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #11205 on: November 21, 2017, 10:27:56 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #11206 on: November 21, 2017, 10:47:50 PM »
I always forget normal people didn't care about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipper_chip
Or the government's whole desire to indict the guy who created PGP.

Or probably confuse it with the V-Chip which was THE REAL CONTROVERSY at the same time:
[President Clinton] said, "If every parent uses this chip wisely, it can become a powerful voice against teen violence, teen pregnancy, teen drug use, and for both learning and entertainment," as he signed the law on February 8, 1996. "We're handing the TV remote control back to America's parents so that they can pass on their values and protect their children."
:american

shosta

« Reply #11207 on: November 21, 2017, 11:14:16 PM »
Because they don't even understand what it means probably. This has happened before too, there was an instance someone got caught submitting revisions to a bunch of linux packages that would have effectively put a bunch of backdoors into them and it got traced back to some intelligence agency. (Not saying it was the US...might have been China.)

There was a NeoGAF.com thread I remember where it felt like me and Stump were the only ones arguing against letting the government be given a backdoor into some technology or something because it would violate basic security design, not even because it was the government doing it. :lol
Yup, sounds like a NeoGAF thread. I think my favorite example of this Three Stooges style plotting has to be when the NSA purposefully submitted a faulty encryption algorithm with a backdoor for standardization and then pretended it was an accident. Actually now that I'm looking it up again it turns out it was a Snowden leak, too. This is the kind of shit that turns people into libertarians.
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #11208 on: November 21, 2017, 11:25:05 PM »
In 2004-2005, several participants on the ANSI X9 tools committee pointed out the potential danger of this backdoor. One of them even went so far as to file a patent on using the idea to implement key escrow for SSL/TLS connections. (It doesn’t get more passive aggressive than that.)

In response to the discovery of such an obvious flaw, the ANSI X9 committee immediately stopped recommending the NSA’s points — and relegated them to be simply an option, one to be used by the niche set of government users who required them.

I’m only kidding! Actually the committee did no such thing.

Instead, at the NSA’s urging, the ANSI committee retained the original NSA points as the recommended parameters for the standard. It then added an optional procedure for generating alternative points. When NIST later adopted the generator in its SP800-90A standard, it mirrored the ANSI decision. But even worse, NIST didn’t even bother to publish the alternative point generation algorithm. To actually implement it, you’d need to go buy the (expensive) non-public-domain ANSI standard and figure it out to implement it yourself

To the best of our knowledge, nobody has ever used ANSI’s alternative generation procedure in a single one of the many implementations of Dual EC DRBG in commercial software.  It’s not even clear how you could have used that procedure in a FIPS-certified product, since the FIPS evaluation process (conducted by CMVP) still requires you to test against the NSA-generated points.
I'm not seeing the problem.

benjipwns

« Reply #11209 on: November 21, 2017, 11:28:43 PM »
Oh, that FBI-Apple dust up was a stupid clusterfuck that was like this. Not even just NeoGAF.com that I think had the argument, but on other sites that I thought were more tech saavy and/or libertarian had plenty of people like "this is a terrorists phone, just tell them how to unlock it already."

Maybe it was just anti-Apple people.

edit: remember another instance like that, even though i wasn't one of the people who worship/ed him, when Aaron Swartz was indicted and facing up to 35 years plus for downloading too many JSTOR articles, even though nobody else but the government wanted to press charges...and people thought this wasn't crazy
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:32:48 PM by benjipwns »

Coax

« Reply #11210 on: November 21, 2017, 11:42:53 PM »
RIP Swartz :goty2

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11211 on: November 22, 2017, 12:35:46 AM »
Oh, that FBI-Apple dust up was a stupid clusterfuck that was like this. Not even just NeoGAF.com that I think had the argument, but on other sites that I thought were more tech saavy and/or libertarian had plenty of people like "this is a terrorists phone, just tell them how to unlock it already."

Maybe it was just anti-Apple people.

edit: remember another instance like that, even though i wasn't one of the people who worship/ed him, when Aaron Swartz was indicted and facing up to 35 years plus for downloading too many JSTOR articles, even though nobody else but the government wanted to press charges...and people thought this wasn't crazy

Yeah, that Swartz thing is pretty clearly a case of systematic harassment by those in power, providing a cooling effect on anyone else who really wants to upset the status quo.  :-\

bluemax

« Reply #11212 on: November 22, 2017, 01:00:46 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/11/the-nationalists-delusion/546356/?utm_source=fbb

tl;dr: Trump isn't the result of economic disenfranchisement, he's the result of racists and racists of all economic levels.
NO

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #11213 on: November 22, 2017, 01:43:02 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/11/the-nationalists-delusion/546356/?utm_source=fbb

tl;dr: Trump isn't the result of economic disenfranchisement, he's the result of racists and racists of all economic levels.

I'm sorry, can you give that tl;dr to me in etoilet speak?
yar

shosta

« Reply #11214 on: November 22, 2017, 01:49:57 AM »
Thinkpieces are stupid.
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #11215 on: November 22, 2017, 02:03:59 AM »
During the final few weeks of the campaign, I asked dozens of Trump supporters about their candidate’s remarks regarding Muslims and people of color. I wanted to understand how these average Republicans—those who would never read the neo-Nazi website The Daily Stormer or go to a Klan rally at a Confederate statue—had nevertheless embraced someone who demonized religious and ethnic minorities.
ADAM SERWER is a senior editor at The Atlantic, covering politics.
:huh

benjipwns

« Reply #11216 on: November 22, 2017, 02:14:00 AM »
This is really poorly written. I'm not being benji-contrarian about the argument or anything as I don't even have much of one to start with it just for discussion sake, it's just...bad. (Maybe it's me anyway.)

When did this trend of writing an article where sections stop. An effectively new article begins with an entirely unrelated premise starts. And repeat. Then don't even bother to tie it together in the end. When did that come back into vogue? I thought that had died off during the 1990s.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Actually, I'm probably just butthurt he doesn't cite my Bore posts about immigration and related ethnic "tensions" (black lives matter's war on cops came too late for my first version of this thesis( deciding the entire GOP Primary from like 2014, nor my later noting that the weird cycle of the Wallace/Reagan/Perot voter was coming into play again. And he calls himself senior editor of The Atlantic yet he isn't reading the premier place for vile analysis and L distribution, the Bore political thread.
[close]

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11217 on: November 22, 2017, 02:16:05 AM »
Wasn't your take that the south switching was more about religion than race?

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #11218 on: November 22, 2017, 02:52:55 AM »

tl;dr: Drumpf isn't the result of economic disenfranchisement, he's the result of racists and racists of all economic levels.

I'm sorry, can you give that tl;dr to me in etoilet speak?

This, basically.
Hi

benjipwns

« Reply #11219 on: November 22, 2017, 02:54:20 AM »
I don't think so? I've argued that part of what Republicans exploited to gain Southern power was also the culture wars to add an additional wedge against the national Democratic Party in the 1980s...I have no problem with the Nixon Southern Strategy being characterized as about race as I'm not sure how else to characterize it, I just think that the Republicans broadened the wedge they were driving by embracing the Evangelical movement and strength of groups like the Moral Majority in the South, especially since the South was not a hotbed of "Reaganomics" interest at the time or really since.

I'll cop to that being validly described as downplaying the factor of race. But I can't see it being a strong enough factor to begin flipping local races when the Democratic Party in the Southern states did not greatly shift on racial issues until the Republicans became enough of a threat that they needed black votes. Southern Democrats were opposed to the rise of the religious groups that the Republicans welcomed with open arms. But not because they were any less socially conservative generally, it was a developing opposing power structure to the old Southern machines. The escape hatch turned out to be jumping over to the Republicans like Helms and Thurmond and so many others.