Poll

Call it:

Worth the wait, worth the hype. Final Fantasy is saved.
6 (13.6%)
Flawed and hobbled together but a great game nonetheless.
5 (11.4%)
MGS V syndrome. Great gameplay, barely any story, barren open world, repetitive game design.
4 (9.1%)
Incoherent mess of gameplay, storytelling, and design. The most expensive turd the Japanese can squeeze out.
18 (40.9%)
Worse than FFXIII.
11 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Final Fantasy XV Official Thread of HD Towns and Bromantic Adventures  (Read 93160 times)

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
Re: FFXV comes out in two weeks, how will the final game turn out?
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2016, 02:27:59 AM »
It references that it was teased in 2006, started production in 2009/2010, was about to be cancelled, and with the director being replaced and all the scraps gathered, a playable game is made ready 10 years after the initial announcement.

:hitler

It would be pretty funny if there was a poster or something from 2006 in the game as a joke. 
OH!

mormapope

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2016, 02:31:14 AM »

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

:gurl

You're expecting me to keep up with a side anime, watch it exclusively in Japanese, to be able to speak about how weird and alien the english voice acting and characters are in the FFXV videogame?

:heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh  :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh :heh
OH!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2016, 02:33:26 AM »

And yeah, the storytelling in Bethesda and Bioware games is generally shit, didn't say otherwise. Glad to know we're on the same page of FFXV matching that mediocrity or being worse.
We're not on the same page, because every FF is better than any of those companies games.

You're being delusional if you think FFXV doesn't take itself super duper seriously. They released a fucking movie that shows banal story shit that takes place before the game. But FFXV definitely doesn't take itself seriously  :rofl
I'm not sure how it was banal. I don't see any other JRRPG or even WRPG mixing reality with fantasy. All western rpgs are mostly generic Tolkien fantasy or lame "humans save the day" Star Trek rifts. Few mix present day and fantasy. So I'm not sure how it was banal.

Kingsglaive was probably the most straight forward story ever to grace FF. It was not at all incoherent, it's also clearly not at all a reflection of the main game's tone. Will FF have anime drama? Sure, it will also have characters camping, goofing off, fishing, having dumb bro banter, taking selfies, and in general going on a road trip. This is a game that completely takes itself seriously? A game where one of it's characters takes millions of trip pictures? Please, the game hardly looks like it takes itself as some forward pushing movie experince or epoch making tale. It seems to only want to tell a story about some dude and his friends.
The "but it will have great combat and that's what matters!" mentality sucks a lot of ass because there's other genres of games where combat mechanics are much better. Why play FFXV just for the combat when I can do that with Bayonetta or Devil May Cry? RPGs need a great world, story, storytelling, characters, or writing to justify their existence. The Witcher 3 fulfills all those needs, while having fun but simple combat at best and simply serviceable combat at worst.
Well Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, and so on aren't games with a party and world exploration. This exuse is shit. Why play any rpg then because there is a non rpg with better combat all the time. Why play mass Effect when Gears is a thing? Why play Skyrim when Dishonerd exist? Because none of those games offer the combat+what a good rpg offers. FFXV looks like it will have a great world, a good enough story, and likable characters plus having actual rpg systems to mess with on top of good combat. The Witcher 3 hardly had all of that. On top of having the worst combat of which you spend over 80% of the game doing. Oh boy 80% of the game is piss easy roll or press counter garbage with some of the most boring rpg subsystems ever. Such a good game!

Characters look like weird and completely unrelatable people, even by Final Fantasy standards.
How these are the most down to earth looking FF characters? No one looks as crazy or strange as the cast of X. There's no rabbit girls. They all wear and can wear actual normal outfits. They all have real world hobbies and live in basically Tokyo. They all have clearly recognizable archtypes. This is the most restrained FF ever.

World building seems to be shit as well. We're going into FFXV with all of these elements looking like shit, I'm sure excited to be stuck with all this shit while fighting cool looking monsters!!!
For you I guess, but it doesn't seem like you like FF at all. So enjoy your garbage WRPGS then.

If I'm proven wrong, I'll happily admit it. But the mindset that people are being over pessimistic is some bullshit. Games looking really iffy before they launch is considered endearing now I guess.
You clearly don't like the game, the series, or the genre so I don't know why you're even here to talk about it.

Himu

« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2016, 02:33:43 AM »
Who plays japanese games in english? put that shit in japanese for the love of god. the mediocre dub is really low quality for se standards and I've made my peace with that a long time ago.

I highly suggest watching all of the brotherhood anime. It may or may not sell you on the game and wanting to know more of the game world, but I think it's great and I think the character interaction is the best the series has had since X.

anyways, game looks great. most anticipated game of the year.

IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2016, 02:36:12 AM »
Who plays japanese games in english?
People outside of Japan?

mormapope

« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2016, 02:41:42 AM »
Incoherent rambling.

Queen Weeaboo

I'll let you two know, I'm gonna get the game at launch. I am being pretty critical, but that's because there hasn't been a great single player Final Fantasy game since FFX-2.

Rahxephon, when MGSV came out, I caught you red handed lying about how much of the game you've played. If we're gonna talk about someone being full of shit and not knowing what they're talking about...

:ufup

You clearly don't like the game, the series, or the genre so I don't know why you're even here to talk about it.

I used to enjoy the genre and Final Fantasy. If you want a echo chamber of hype, FFXV threads on neogaf are filled to the brim with self victimizing babies.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2016, 02:42:51 AM »
Who plays japanese games in english?
People outside of Japan?

i meant voice acting. if english bothers you so much, there's a japanese options. who cares.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2016, 02:45:15 AM »
how much of ffxv have you seen, morma
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2016, 02:46:02 AM »
i meant voice acting. if english bothers you so much, there's a japanese options. who cares.

Japanese developed games have had good writing, voice acting, and localization before. I don't know why hand waving an entire language option that the majority of people will use is a good argument at all.

:dunno

Random videos of gameplay for the past year, story cutscene and trailers for the past two or three.

How much of FFXV have you seen? A true fan's and connoisseur's amount I guess?
 :snob
OH!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2016, 02:53:54 AM »
I'll let you two know, I'm gonna get the game at launch. I am being pretty critical, but that's because there hasn't been a great single player Final Fantasy game since FFX-2.
There's been XII, XIII, World of FF, LR, and so on.

Rahxephon, when MGSV came out, I caught you red handed lying about how much of the game you've played. If we're gonna talk about someone being full of shit and not knowing what they're talking about...
I don't know what you're talking about nor do I care. That game was garbage than and it's garbage now.

I used to enjoy the genre and Final Fantasy. If you want a echo chamber of hype, FFXV threads on neogaf are filled to the brim with self victimizing babies.
No, because there you have to deal with try hard cynicism just like here. How about you just don't play the game if you've already made up your mind?

mormapope

« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2016, 02:57:47 AM »
There's been XII, XIII, World of FF, LR, and so on.

I don't know what you're talking about nor do I care. That game was garbage than and it's garbage now.

No, because there you have to deal with try hard cynicism just like here. How about you just don't play the game if you've already made up your mind?

Your posts and counter arguments are mirroring FFXV's development and marketing, the more that's said or shown, it keeps getting worse.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2016, 03:00:14 AM »

Japanese developed games have had good writing, voice acting, and localization before. I don't know why hand waving an entire language option that the majority of people will use is a good argument at all.

:dunno

Random videos of gameplay for the past year, story cutscene and trailers for the past two or three.

How much of FFXV have you seen? A true fan's and connoisseur's amount I guess?
 :snob

Uhhhh...I've been highly critical of ffxv the past year. The latest batch of previews are fantastic. Watch the video I linked above and read the US Gamer preview. They played 15 hours and say it's a return to form for the series. Unless the game goes to complete shit in the second half it's a winner probably.

A while there's a lot of japanese games with good dubs, the game has a japanese dub if it bothers you so much. It seems like a total nitpick.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2016, 03:08:19 AM »
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-xv-travel-diary-day-one-against-all-odds

choice quotes from the very great final part:

4. Story exists, just not the way it does in other Final Fantasy games 

I've seen some concern online over speculation that FFXV (relatively) lacks story compared to other Final Fantasy games. And it's true that, so far, I've encountered very few cut scenes — there's the intro, where Noctis takes leave of his father and heads out on his road trip; there was one elaborate scene involving the presumed villains of the piece toward the end of Chapter Two; and there have been a handful of short contextual bits upon reaching a plot destination (such as the introduction of Gladiolus's sister Iris at the hotel in Lestallum). Otherwise, though, this game couldn't be further from, say, Final Fantasy XIII and its stop-start procession of walking a short distance from point A to point B followed by a few minutes of forced dialogue. 

That doesn't mean the game lacks story, though. Plot, yeah — that's relatively sparse. But story is not just big events unfolding and mysterious bad guys in impossible armor chuckling about their mad schemes. Story is characterization and interaction and, in an interactive game, how you choose to experience those things. And FFXV has plenty of that. 

Most of the game's dialogue draws on the Grand Theft Auto style: Your party members banter while in transit, or while strolling around. In fact, I'd say FFXV has fewer fixed cutscenes than Grand Theft Auto V and focuses even more on telling story through diegetic conversations. Typically this seems to happen while driving Regalia around, but I find that on the few occasions I've cut to the chase and used fast-travel shortcuts, those same conversations will happen while mounted on chocobos or even while walking around. As an example, a small earthquake shakes Lestrallum upon your arrival, and Noctis experiences a brief headache at the same time. For the next while, he'll complain about his pain from time to time, or else his companions will check in with him to see how he feels. 

There's definitely a big plot here, what with a heavily militarized empire conquering the protagonist's home, but ultimately FFXV feels more like Noctis's story than the story of the Crown City or the Empire. The focus of its narrative rests firmly in character-to-character dialogue, on Noctis's relationships, and on how other characters regard him both as a person and as royalty. It's different from the typical Final Fantasy fare, but the smaller, more humble approach really helps sell this game — which itself is different from the typical Final Fantasy fare as well. In fact, the most discordant parts of the plot have to do with the bad guys, who feel like holdovers from a different era: Final Fantasy XIII actors who wandered into the wrong production. 

14. The world is full of seemingly useless areas to explore, and that's fine 

If you choose to slog your way around FFXV's world by going offroad, you'll spend a lot of time traveling through the scenery. As I've mentioned before, the lay of the land does not work like most other open-world games; rather than consisting of dense scenery packed with things to do and places to go, its settlements and dungeons require some effort to reach. Supposedly the Just Cause 3 team came in to help out with FFXV's world design, and it definitely shows — it's a convincing, natural-feeling environment that unfolds at its own pace. 

Even so, the land contains plenty of unique sights. Even if they don't have any gameplay purpose, they lend some variety to the scenery. There's a farm far to the south of Lestallum, for example, that doesn't contain anything besides some cooking ingredients to forage and possibly some hostile semi-feral livestock to battle. You have no reason to venture there at all, unless some later quest takes place there. Honestly, it's fine. Not every square inch of a video game has to serve some essential gameplay purpose, and in FFXV in particular the pointless bits fit the rambling, road trip feel of the adventure. Part of the fun of the game is simply venturing forth to see what's out there, and to get a better sense of its lived-in world. 

15. 15 hours barely scratches the surface of the game 

I could honestly go on for quite a while longer about FFXV. I haven't been this hooked on a game in years. Like everyone else who has played these first few chapters of the game, I have no idea how the final product will turn out, or if it will maintain my interest all the way through to the end. Still, that I've enjoyed it as much as I have for as long as I have already comes as a huge (and quite pleasant) surprise. This project has experience so much tumult over the past decade that I never really expected it to see the light of day — let alone to turn out so well. 

It's hard to believe we're just four weeks away from its launch, but the proof is in the playing. There's a tough month ahead for me, waiting to get my hands on the final release of the game, but I'm happy to be going into this long-awaited RPG knowing that I'll enjoy what lies ahead for me. 
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2016, 03:08:40 AM »

Your posts and counter arguments are mirroring FFXV's development and marketing, the more that's said or shown, it keeps getting worse.
Don't care, the game will be GOTY and better than the Witcher Bullshit that people only like because of it's faux grittyness. "Oh you can have sex, it must be well written". Event though the actual game part is shit in those games.

And I looked up the MGS5 stuff. It's funny who none of my opinions changed. The game was garbage exactly for those reasons and I was right. Chief among them the game's awful "boss" battles

mormapope

« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2016, 03:16:12 AM »
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-xv-travel-diary-day-one-against-all-odds

choice quotes from the very great final part:

4. Story exists, just not the way it does in other Final Fantasy games 

I've seen some concern online over speculation that FFXV (relatively) lacks story compared to other Final Fantasy games. And it's true that, so far, I've encountered very few cut scenes — there's the intro, where Noctis takes leave of his father and heads out on his road trip; there was one elaborate scene involving the presumed villains of the piece toward the end of Chapter Two; and there have been a handful of short contextual bits upon reaching a plot destination (such as the introduction of Gladiolus's sister Iris at the hotel in Lestallum). Otherwise, though, this game couldn't be further from, say, Final Fantasy XIII and its stop-start procession of walking a short distance from point A to point B followed by a few minutes of forced dialogue. 

That doesn't mean the game lacks story, though. Plot, yeah — that's relatively sparse. But story is not just big events unfolding and mysterious bad guys in impossible armor chuckling about their mad schemes. Story is characterization and interaction and, in an interactive game, how you choose to experience those things. And FFXV has plenty of that. 

Most of the game's dialogue draws on the Grand Theft Auto style: Your party members banter while in transit, or while strolling around. In fact, I'd say FFXV has fewer fixed cutscenes than Grand Theft Auto V and focuses even more on telling story through diegetic conversations. Typically this seems to happen while driving Regalia around, but I find that on the few occasions I've cut to the chase and used fast-travel shortcuts, those same conversations will happen while mounted on chocobos or even while walking around. As an example, a small earthquake shakes Lestrallum upon your arrival, and Noctis experiences a brief headache at the same time. For the next while, he'll complain about his pain from time to time, or else his companions will check in with him to see how he feels. 

There's definitely a big plot here, what with a heavily militarized empire conquering the protagonist's home, but ultimately FFXV feels more like Noctis's story than the story of the Crown City or the Empire. The focus of its narrative rests firmly in character-to-character dialogue, on Noctis's relationships, and on how other characters regard him both as a person and as royalty. It's different from the typical Final Fantasy fare, but the smaller, more humble approach really helps sell this game — which itself is different from the typical Final Fantasy fare as well. In fact, the most discordant parts of the plot have to do with the bad guys, who feel like holdovers from a different era: Final Fantasy XIII actors who wandered into the wrong production. 

14. The world is full of seemingly useless areas to explore, and that's fine 

If you choose to slog your way around FFXV's world by going offroad, you'll spend a lot of time traveling through the scenery. As I've mentioned before, the lay of the land does not work like most other open-world games; rather than consisting of dense scenery packed with things to do and places to go, its settlements and dungeons require some effort to reach. Supposedly the Just Cause 3 team came in to help out with FFXV's world design, and it definitely shows — it's a convincing, natural-feeling environment that unfolds at its own pace. 

Even so, the land contains plenty of unique sights. Even if they don't have any gameplay purpose, they lend some variety to the scenery. There's a farm far to the south of Lestallum, for example, that doesn't contain anything besides some cooking ingredients to forage and possibly some hostile semi-feral livestock to battle. You have no reason to venture there at all, unless some later quest takes place there. Honestly, it's fine. Not every square inch of a video game has to serve some essential gameplay purpose, and in FFXV in particular the pointless bits fit the rambling, road trip feel of the adventure. Part of the fun of the game is simply venturing forth to see what's out there, and to get a better sense of its lived-in world. 

15. 15 hours barely scratches the surface of the game 

I could honestly go on for quite a while longer about FFXV. I haven't been this hooked on a game in years. Like everyone else who has played these first few chapters of the game, I have no idea how the final product will turn out, or if it will maintain my interest all the way through to the end. Still, that I've enjoyed it as much as I have for as long as I have already comes as a huge (and quite pleasant) surprise. This project has experience so much tumult over the past decade that I never really expected it to see the light of day — let alone to turn out so well. 

It's hard to believe we're just four weeks away from its launch, but the proof is in the playing. There's a tough month ahead for me, waiting to get my hands on the final release of the game, but I'm happy to be going into this long-awaited RPG knowing that I'll enjoy what lies ahead for me. 

Hmmmm.

Sounds like another MGSV scenario. Reviewers were also way too soft on MGS V's second half and how little the story mattered or the lack of plot. All those bullet points were MGS V's biggest issues:

Tons of area to explore but no reason to/areas be used except for grindy side op missions.

Very little storytelling or plot for something that was supposed to the franchise's finale. In FFXV's case, it seems like it'll be very oddly paced for all story bits. 

*Unpredictable or surprising second half compared to the first, probably due to budgeting.

* http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1310275
OH!

Himu

« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2016, 03:33:38 AM »
I wouldn't say that there's no reason to explore.

The day/night cycle has a much greater impact on exploration and travel within FFXV than you tend to find in other games of this type. When night falls, "daemons" emerge — more powerful monsters than the critters that roam during the day. While I haven't encountered the Magitek patrols that made night exploration in Episode Duscae so dangerous, that will presumably change: Chapter One of FFXV takes place during the final moments of peace in the world, and I have to assume that the imperial actions that transpire near the chapter's end change everything for the worse. 

And, incidentally, I could have finished the game's first chapter in far fewer than six hours. But FFXV really sets you loose once the introduction has rolled, and I've spent most of my time wandering the wastes in search of hidden quests (there are a few!), secret fishing spots (I found a doozy tucked away in some ruins), completing monster hunts (and there are still quite a few in this region that are well beyond my team's current capabilities), and generally just seeing where I can go (basically anywhere that isn't walled off). Square Enix has a lot riding on this game, and despite all odds, FFXV just might be able to shoulder those impossible expectations. 

And Parish has said that it doesn't have very little storytelling at all. It has sparse plot. But the story is told mostly through character dialogue GTA style. Nothing really indicates poor pace for story at all. When I think of poorly paced story I think of FF12 where there's an entire section without a single cutscene that lasts 5-10 hours depending on your approach.

The second half is more linear and has more plot.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2016, 03:39:19 AM »
I figured I'd be able to dash through the first five chapters of the game (roughly one-third to one-half of the final version, I speculate entirely through inference and deduction) in fairly short order and would be happy to be done with it. In practice, though, FFXV has proven to be a much larger — and far more enjoyable — RPG than I would have expected. Comparisons to The Witcher III probably wouldn't be out of line here: You traverse a huge land, accept optional bounties to take down roaming monsters, and fight by means of an RPG-inflected real-time combat system. Still, this game nevertheless retains its own personality, combining familiar open-world conventions with familiar Final Fantasy standards... as well as a healthy dose of unique elements to keep things lively. 

My play time with the game has passed the 15-hour mark, which appears to be the point at which others playing this build had powered through to the end of the five-part demo. I... didn't quite get that far; I'm still just a little ways into Chapter Three, in fact. I spent about three hours with the game following my third write-up and barely made a dent on progressing the plot... and that was only by accident. I didn't realize I had set my waypoint for the city where the next story event took place (having turned off that particular quest marker straightaway) and ended up triggering the next key cut scene quite by mistake. 

And that was OK, because the next plot sequence didn't involve a dungeon or a pitched battle; it consisted of Prince Noctis sightseeing his way through the streets of a European-style city with his friend's sister. From there I'm meant to head to a dungeon and find another of the prince's mystical weapons; which is fine, but much less interesting to me than the prospect of wandering around the remainder of the Duscae province, which incidentally turns out to be quite a bit larger than the desolate Liede and contains many more points of interest to uncover. 

While I've really enjoyed the authentic detail with which the first few areas of Final Fantasy XV capture the experience of traveling by car around the U.S., the overall feel of the world changes once you get out of the low lands and into the upper regions of Duscae around the city of Lestallum. Here, the world begins to feel more European in a lot of respects: The scenery, the road that consists of a tunnel cut into the side of a mountain, and above all the city of Lestallum itself. With its tall stone buildings, bustling open markets, and lived-in feel, Lestallum seems most heavily inspired by the cities of Italy and the south of France. 

This doesn't cause the game to feel incoherent or patchwork. On the contrary, it simply makes FFXV's world feel larger and more varied. There's that trick in open-world games where traveling the equivalent of a real-world trip to the mall can feel like a huge, rambling journey, and Lestallum is separated from the lowlands by winding, indirect roads that add more transit time to your drive. You can't simply cut cross-country to get there, even by chocobo: A massive chasm separates Lestallum from the southern reaches of Duscae, forcing you to take the long route. Again, like the limitations on fast-travel, this is one of those design decisions that seems potentially counterintuitive or even annoying on the face of it, but which in practice helps to better define the game world's sense of place.

IYKYK

Freyj

« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2016, 01:41:59 PM »
The combat in that highlights video just does not look fun to me. When Noctis isn't falling down, he's floating around with attacks that don't seem to carry any kind of weight whatsoever. Boss fight against the Mech thing is just a mess of pausing to use pots over and over.

I wish I didn't feel like this, but everytime I see the combat I dislike it more.

mormapope

« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2016, 02:45:48 AM »
Read about the ending of the game.....

It actually sounds pretty badass and a really cool ending in general.
 :obama

A lot of people in the neogaf spoiler thread consider it weak, but they seem like people that were obsessed with Versus back when it was announced.
OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2016, 10:42:44 AM »
PLEASE NO SPOILERINO

Game comes out in ONE WEEK omg
fat

SantaC

« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2016, 10:45:00 AM »
PLEASE NO SPOILERINO

Game comes out in ONE WEEK omg

Been playing crisis core up until ffxv release. Game is pretty fun.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2016, 10:48:05 AM »
god i wish they'd just ship the damn game early so i can play it on break
pcp

SantaC

« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2016, 10:50:30 AM »
Day 1 patch has wait mode. Doesnt that make the game much easier as enemies has to wait until you input your command.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2016, 11:03:16 AM »
yes that's the idea

also fuck gamestop for being the only way to get that shitty looking 2d prequel. i want it
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2016, 12:45:22 PM »
dont even care if the game is crap i need a jrpg to play

Get Pokemon. :doge

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2016, 11:21:42 AM »

You have a 3DS? Get DQ7.
^_^

archie4208

« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2016, 11:46:00 AM »
Get SMT 4A.  It's Pokemon for distinguished gentlemen.  :snob

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2016, 12:15:29 PM »
esch doesn't have a 3ds
pcp

Himu

« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2016, 12:17:16 PM »
Pokemon sun has a higher chance of being a better game than ffxv. Game is great
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2016, 12:26:53 PM »
does it still only have one save slot like other recent pokemon games?
pcp

Himu

« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2016, 12:28:29 PM »
Pokemon has ONLY ever had one save slot.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2016, 12:33:41 PM »
i swear the original had 3 but oh well looks like i won't be playing it then. never could get into pokemon anyways bc of how slow the battles are.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2016, 12:37:25 PM »
No the original only had one
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2016, 02:44:51 PM »
The latest games keep two, with one as a backup just in case the original gets corrupted. Probably why they don't allow more save files. 

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2016, 09:52:26 PM »
And I still have yet to play a mainline Pokemon for more than 20 minutes of Red/Blue back when my brother first got it, and I proceeded to waste all his pokeballs on Pidgeys. I want to get Yellow and start from the beginning, I own a few of the games here and there (and will probably get the Switch version). Only Pokemon related game I put any time into is :bow Snap :bow2
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2016, 10:58:18 PM »
The latest games keep two, with one as a backup just in case the original gets corrupted. Probably why they don't allow more save files. 

Every portable game that only has a single save file does that because the developer doesn't want you sharing your copy with someone else.
dog

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2016, 11:13:55 PM »
And I still have yet to play a mainline Pokemon for more than 20 minutes of Red/Blue back when my brother first got it, and I proceeded to waste all his pokeballs on Pidgeys. I want to get Yellow and start from the beginning, I own a few of the games here and there (and will probably get the Switch version). Only Pokemon related game I put any time into is :bow Snap :bow2

i played a bunch of yellow and gold when they came out and they weren't bad at all, just extremely repetitive. just a ton of endless slow moving battles
pcp

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2016, 11:43:10 PM »
Played the platinum demo and I really have little faith in this game, I play Final Fantasy for the battle systems not the stories or whatever else and I have little interest in playing Kingdom Hearts.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 01:00:01 AM by Momo »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2016, 11:52:25 PM »
Expecting worse than FFXIII

From what /v/ is saying: Yeah. It's a reverse FFXIII. Open-world for like 80% of the game, then throws you into a "tube" to the ending.

Which, is fine... outside of the fact that the world map they show, only like 20% of the main area is used for 5 areas. 3 of which account for the sandbox/open-world. The last 2 are for the ending and a certain story trigger to hit the ending. I'm not highly sure if it's /v/ typical trolling, but that really killed any interest I had in this. Having a huge map and only using like 20% of it is just "what?"

Get Pokemon. :doge

i'm willing to accept crap, but not dogshit :doge

Triggered because Sun/Moon is legit. The only major complaint I have with it is the amount of handholding it's doing. But it's a kids game, so I mean... :yeshrug
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 12:04:06 AM by thisismyusername »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2016, 12:46:25 AM »
From what /v/ is saying: Yeah. It's a reverse FFXIII. Open-world for like 80% of the game, then throws you into a "tube" to the ending.

Sounds like most JRPG's to be honest. Don't see the problem with that.

Like I said, that's not necessarily the problem. The problem becomes...

(Not sure if I need to spoil it?  Story spoilers for those that care)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The fight with Levithan is one area out of the 5. Then Insomnia or whatever it's called that the characters are from is the last one of the 5.
[close]

Two areas are used to funnel. Then you have 3 that are the "sandbox." 5 areas. Just found the images that made me WTF. Take it with a grain of salt, but generally /v/ has a nugget of truth within their trolls or calling things shit:

[close]

The normal map.

[close]

The map with the overlaid/carved out zones that you actually visit in the game.

(The actual in-game world map that shows the 3-5 areas behind this one)

[close]

Story spoilers for Himu and Rah and whoever actually cares about that at this point, so avoid this one:

(to me as a reply) Other way around, the first half is in 3 open areas, then you go to Altissa where Leviathan fucks things up, then the second half is linear and it ends in the ruins of Insomnia where you fight the final boss.
[close]

Whiskey TANGO FOXTROT.

Spoiler free review:

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 01:15:12 AM by thisismyusername »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2016, 01:31:46 AM »

Sounds like most JRPG's to be honest. Don't see the problem with that.

I've found the reverse, like most Japanese RPGs are fairly linear in a large world with lots of direction, then like 3/4 through the game things become much more open and nonlinear. Western RPGs usually start you in some open world with tons of side missions but once you get into the main mission it becomes super linear up till the end.

I usually prefer a more linear game to an open world one, with some sidequests here and there. Once you get too many missions or have too many places to go it just becomes a bit too overwhelming; open-world is pretty overrated and not every game needs it (*cough*MGS5*cough). But a game like FF13, where there was nothing to do but walk in straight lines and fight the same monsters over and over until you get to Pulse where you were walking in a giant open world and fighting monsters, that's not what I want either.
^_^

Rahxephon91

« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2016, 02:03:05 AM »
Why did you post the most trolly and shallow 4chan review? You might as well have posted the fake Veredus review as they basically say the same thing, but with a different angle. Never mind that there are plenty of postive impressions from people, but I guess those don't fit a certain narrative..

And quite honestly, I don't see what the problem is with the structure. It's been said that even when it becomes more linear it isn't tubes. Just smaller areas. Which doesn't bother me at all. I would have been fine with better looking and detailed FFXII esque zones. Open world games are nice and all, but I also become bored of them easily when they lack focus and having a huge map doesnt mean much.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 02:08:18 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2016, 02:09:12 AM »
It's a reverse ff6 who cares. And people keep jacking off over that fucking game.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2016, 10:20:26 AM »
Just received the email from SE that my ridiculously overpriced collector's edition has shipped :hyper :hyper :hyper
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2016, 10:22:06 AM »
Why would you post all of that in here - to what, persuade people to not play it? You've probably spent more time on the game and NONE of us have even played it.

You're mental
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2016, 12:04:48 PM »
Just received the email from SE that my ridiculously overpriced collector's edition has shipped :hyper :hyper :hyper

i didn't get that email yet :( but I'm gonna be checking every half hour till i do

also lol ppl want final Fantasy to fail so bad. "but my 4chans!" FOH
pcp

Himu

« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2016, 12:35:59 PM »
For real. I really want this to succeed. The future of jrpgs depends on it.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2016, 12:48:03 PM »

We still have DQ11, Persona 5, KH3, FF7 Remake, whatever Monolith is making for Switch (Xenoblade NX?). Not to mention I highly doubt Falcom and Gust will stop cranking out their mid budget affairs. Still want FF15 to do well though, and I'm curious to see what will become of 16 (there was a rumor it might go back to being turn based :rock).
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2016, 01:41:14 PM »
We'll always have Gust. :rejoice
dog

SantaC

« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2016, 02:24:39 PM »

Tales of Bersesia and Persona 5, both are confirmed very good by importers  :rejoice

Himu

« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2016, 02:28:32 PM »
You don't seem to understand. Those other games will not make new jrpg fans.

Final Fantasy has acted as the gateway to jrpg fandom in the west pretty much since its inception. A new FF means a new potential jrpg fanbase.

FFXV's success will be healthy for the entire genre. Wishing for XV to fail is like wishing for the genre to fail. Jrpg fanbase needs new blood and old players like me are getting older with less time. We need a new generation. Fucking DQ11 is not going to create a new generation of jrpg players in the west.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2016, 02:44:41 PM »
I'm at November 7th hillary Clinton levels of confidence in this game. don't see why it wouldn't do massive numbers. 
pcp

SantaC

« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2016, 02:49:00 PM »

Final Fantasy has acted as the gateway to jrpg fandom in the west pretty much since its inception. A new FF means a new potential jrpg fanbase.

FFXV's success will be healthy for the entire genre. Wishing for XV to fail is like wishing for the genre to fail. Jrpg fanbase needs new blood and old players like me are getting older with less time. We need a new generation. Fucking DQ11 is not going to create a new generation of jrpg players in the west.

I got news Himuru. Final Fantasy does not have that pull anymore even if FFXV is good. Squeenix screwed  it up beyond repair with their FF13 games.

Himu

« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2016, 02:49:23 PM »
massive numbers doesn't mean shit. it needs to be good or great. FF13 did sold well too and we saw what happened after.

I got news Himuru. Final Fantasy does not have that pull anymore even if FFXV is good. Squeenix screwed  it up beyond repair with their FF13 games.

I think it still has that pull. I haven't seen other jrpgs get the same treatment as this one. This is getting a lot of attention. Even Conan had it on his show.
IYKYK

SantaC

« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2016, 03:11:04 PM »
massive numbers doesn't mean shit. it needs to be good or great. FF13 did sold well too and we saw what happened after.

I think it still has that pull. I haven't seen other jrpgs get the same treatment as this one. This is getting a lot of attention. Even Conan had it on his show.

I hope it does good. I am buying it regardless. I think they should had skipped FF13-2 and FF13-3; neither are worthy mainline games and sold like poo.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2016, 05:36:39 PM »

I hope it does good. I am buying it regardless. I think they should had skipped FF13-2 and FF13-3; neither are worthy mainline games and sold like poo.
Actually XIII-2 sold well and XIV has done great. I don't know where this idea that XIII has killed the series. Plenty of long running series have survived a supposedly bad installment. Ghost didn't lead to Black Ops 3 doing bad. MGS2 didn't kill MGS. XV will do what it will regardless of XIII.

Himu

« Reply #117 on: November 23, 2016, 05:49:05 PM »
I remember X HD selling more than LR.
IYKYK

SantaC

« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2016, 06:31:36 PM »
FFVIII is the best selling Final Fantasy game though. It peaked already in the PS1 era.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #119 on: November 24, 2016, 01:36:33 PM »
I'm at November 7th hillary Clinton levels of confidence in this game. don't see why it wouldn't do massive numbers.

:rofl :rofl :rofl