Author Topic: Podcasts? Podcasts!  (Read 11572 times)

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
Re: Podcasts? Podcasts!
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2017, 06:57:28 PM »
The Borecast is on archive.org I still have all of The Cruncheons I think, maybe I'll upload it.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2017, 04:06:39 AM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2017, 07:01:00 AM »
http://www.lorepodcast.com/

This got made into a show and it's up on Amazon Prime video.

studyguy

« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2017, 11:02:19 AM »
Gonna give a s/o to The Magnus Archives, a fiction/horror podcast where the producers read one off stories in the form of statements made by the people who witnessed paranormal shit. It's all pretty self contained but there's a larger narrative to it all and the narration stacks up to even some of the best audiobooks I've read. Really good shit, they've got like 80 episodes out so far and the 3rd season is dropping real soon.

Spoopy shit.
pause

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2017, 09:27:59 AM »
If you are interested in music and the industry, one of the best podcasts I've heard is this one:

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/hit_parade/2017/09/the_story_of_how_the_recording_industry_made_you_pay_a_premium_for_90s_hit.html

Charts the evolution of the "single" and how the greed of the 90's led to explosion of Napster and Itunes. I don't think I've ever come across a work that lays it out as well.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2017, 03:26:05 AM »
For Japanese listeners:
每天生气

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2017, 02:19:51 AM »
Gonna give a s/o to The Magnus Archives, a fiction/horror podcast where the producers read one off stories in the form of statements made by the people who witnessed paranormal shit. It's all pretty self contained but there's a larger narrative to it all and the narration stacks up to even some of the best audiobooks I've read. Really good shit, they've got like 80 episodes out so far and the 3rd season is dropping real soon.

Spoopy shit.
Wow Study, I gotta hand it to you. The first couple of episodes I was like  :snore but I was like, "Eh, study said it was good. I'll stick with it." then after a few  episodes :larry I just got to the end of season 1 tho  :gladbron :ohhh :anhuld :dead :rejoice

Great recommendation.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:34:15 AM by I'm a Puppy! »
que

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2017, 02:55:13 AM »
Magnus Archives is great in S1 and most of S2, but as S2 goes on, it becomes more closely tied to the continuity between the various stories and it became much less interesting to me. I dropped it after the S2 finale. It was great when it was great. I’ll never understand the ambition for serialization that some anthology-type projects seem to have.

(...but don’t let my opinion keep you from listening. The VA and writing are still great when it gets more serialized. It’s just not a direction I like.)
serge

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2018, 06:10:30 PM »
S-town was pretty decent. Certainly had me hooked a few days listening through it.

Just listened to it on a long car drive. Yeah it was enjoyable. Apparently they are making a movie out of it.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2018, 04:06:48 PM »
 :preach New Hardcore History

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2018, 04:11:45 PM »
Two young 20 somethings, Tad and Aleks, shooting the shit about nerd and internet/4chan shit. http://www.lmtya.com/

Basically I listen to this podcast when I don't want to think about anything serious or important.  :doge

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2018, 04:17:12 PM »
the last thing anyone needs in their life is more 4chan dude

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2018, 04:18:38 PM »
We're not good enough for him so he has to get his fix elsewhere. :goty2

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2018, 04:19:56 PM »
They mention it in passing from time to time. :yeshrug

Also, 4chan is like cigarettes to myself and others. You don't need them in your system but after using them for so long they have a stranglehold on your body.  :doge

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2018, 04:22:00 PM »
i smoked for a decade and a half and i never once listened to a podcast about smoking

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2018, 04:24:53 PM »
But I bet you talk to smokers whenever you're outside taking a smoke break eh?

Sure you all don't talk about smoking itself but you probably talk about your nuanced/unique life experiences and what not.  :mynicca

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2018, 04:30:15 PM »
i get your point, but real talk, conversations with fellow drunks smoking outside of bars was on the list of reasons i stopped. hell is being trapped in a corner with a northeastern townie  :yuck

now i just juul because i am a Cool Teen®

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2018, 05:16:30 PM »
I tried listening to a cigar podcast once (out of curiosity) and it was a bunch of uncouth New England guys who stopped regularly for advertisements. Awful stuff, never again.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2018, 06:39:58 PM »
Ads are so ubiquitous now in podcasts and often for the same hipster / niche services & brands; you wonder just how miserable the revenue must be for Hareeee's Razors or the likes to be showering so many podcasts with it (and why podcasts crams at least two or three of them in an hour or less).

I was gonna say I don't get the hard on for having the hosts say the copy text but it just struck me, speaking about cost, that it's probably because it's cheaper than producing an actual ad and sending the files.

The Cycling Podcast started this year to do this. They always had ads and sponsors but it was actual recordings. The production is OK and they flow decently (as much a commercial can), the advertisers are tangentially related to the sports -if only because they sponsor teams-, the style of music matches the ones used for intro and it involves some people (riders sometimes) speaking in heavy accents. It's not nearly as painful as the one where the hosts must play some terrible skit for a product they obviously don't know or use.

Lance Armstrong at least is advertising other brands than the usual suspects but it's still terrible. Can't take another shilling of some Aspen made cold brew coffee in cans.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 06:44:21 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2019, 12:43:00 PM »
Started listening to Last Podcast on the Left (the paranormal and cult stuff). It's fast and loose sometimes and thin on the skepticism but they're fun, decently researched and well paced.
ὕβρις

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2019, 12:43:34 PM »
have you guys heard of cum town
每天生气

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2019, 01:01:25 PM »
Just finished that Dr Death podcast on Chris Duntsch . That guy sure is something. Decent podcast.

Started listening to Last Podcast on the Left (the paranormal and cult stuff). It's fast and loose sometimes and thin on the skepticism but they're fun, decently researched and well paced.

Those are fun (some very much so, like hollow moon), but where they really shine is the ones about murderers.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2019, 07:58:45 PM »
Chip Chipperson

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2019, 08:02:24 PM »
Heil Gein
serge

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2019, 12:07:46 AM »
heil yourself

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2019, 12:27:00 AM »
have you guys heard of cum town
of course  8)

Nola

« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2019, 12:32:07 AM »
megustalations

Rahxephon91

« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2019, 12:34:21 AM »
Last Podcast on the Left is awesome. I listen to it with my mom on car rides. Even she’s into it.

hampster

« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2019, 05:06:04 PM »
https://twitter.com/hardcorehistory/status/1084169524209844224

I know what I'm doing the rest of the weekend :hyper
Zzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2020, 08:39:54 PM »
Listened to the first season of NPR's SERIAL, a companion piece to This American Life.

It was fascinating and well-produced, but I was not satisfied by the ending.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2020, 12:17:11 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2020, 06:00:44 PM »
Big Grande Teachers' Lounge is amazing.

"I eventually don't want to be a female ostrich."  "As a child soldier, I understand that."

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2020, 06:40:49 PM »
Now replace your friends with podcasts. 

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2020, 07:02:01 PM »
The End of the World with Josh Clark. Ep on Biotechnology. Quite a sobering episode. They even have a brief section where they talk about the most common prediction for a flu-like pandemic that combines being both deadly and contagious will be a corona virus  :doge Makes what's happening now sound like a dress rehearsal for what's likely to come.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3OsJABmfmeDwoItwYAdrda?si=s0MGBMSiTbyEZXWUC4iL8w
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 09:23:47 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Tasty

« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2021, 09:17:25 PM »
~ Early 2021 Update ~

Recently resubscribed to Scriptnotes by John August (writer: Go, Big Fish, Charlie's Angels 1&2, Frankenweenie, that awuful Wonka remake) and Craig Mazin (The Hangover Trilogy, Scary Movies 3&4, Huntsman 2.)

I used to be subscribed about 4-5 years ago, but... This is shitty to say but I wasn't a super huge fan of their work (outside Go and maybe Scary Movie 3), so I didn't really consider their advice that strongly -- about on the level of various "how to" screenwriting blog posts and YouTube vids you'd find out there doing quick searches.

That all changed two years back when Mazin's Chernobyl became one of my favorite series ever, with impeccable writing I noticed from the start.

So now I'm subscribed to Scriptnotes Premium for the 400+ back episodes and extra bonus segments on new episodes. Not that you should blindly follow any advice you find, but I definitely feel like Scriptnotes has more than proven its worth to working (and prospective) screenwriters by this point. And several back episodes have already proven very insightful and useful.

I've also been going through Script Apart, which is a podcast that interviews famous screenwriters using both the first draft and the final production draft of a movie they're famous for, and comparing and contrasting the two drafts. Sometimes useful, sometimes not, but overall it's always fascinating getting such different voices to talk about their processes.

I don't listen to every episode of the A24 Podcast but the recent episode with Tim Heideker and John C. Reilly about getting Moon Base 8 produced was fantastic. I'm not what you would call a fan of either man, or their typical styles of comedy, and I haven't even seen the show (it was just on my radar because of Mike Stoklassa), but yeah, A24 is good stuff and that episode was great.

Sardonicast has become my primary "entertainment" podcast. Love those laughable idiots.

Last Podcast on the Left is still Spotify-exclusive to the detriment of the overall podcast ecosystem -- bye boys. :nope Don't even remember what they sound like anymore.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 09:23:38 PM by Tasty »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2022, 01:23:25 PM »
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/maintenance-phase/id1535408667

Maintenance Phase is really interesting.  Recommend the Fen Phen, school lunches, and Opera episodes. 

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2022, 08:19:34 PM »
https://twitter.com/julianfeeld/status/1547676360239239174

She's gonna kill Herself? #hilldawgforever #tasty2016isback

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Maybe if I post these hashtags enough I can resurrect timu...
[close]

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2022, 08:41:47 AM »
https://twitter.com/julianfeeld/status/1547676360239239174

She's gonna kill Herself? #hilldawgforever #tasty2016isback

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Maybe if I post these hashtags enough I can resurrect timu...
[close]
I'd settle for resurrecting himu
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2023, 01:07:11 PM »
https://www.maintenancephase.com/

The episode on Workplace Wellness is really interesting.