Author Topic: Walking Dead Season 3 Telltale  (Read 2959 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Walking Dead Season 3 Telltale
« on: December 21, 2016, 12:12:00 AM »

The first two episodes are out now.

I skipped Minecraft, Micheone, and Batman but decided to get back on here.

Without spoilers the first two episodes are decent enough. It seems better than Season 2 but that's not a large hurdle to climb since that season kinda sucked. Clementine is back although she isn't the main character which is actually a good approach.

There is a formula to the Walking Dead whether its these games or the tv show and that formula tends to wear itself out the longer you stick with it, but we'll see I guess.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
Re: Walking Dead Season 3 Telltale
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 07:58:29 AM »
I've only played main TWD from Telltale, never touched any of the other series or michonne.

I loved season 1. Season 2 was definitely weak in comparison. I hated most of the new characters.  It also felt like a side story in a lot of ways, nothing had any impact on me. Pulling Kenny out of the hat and shoving him in felt like a desperate attempt to connect it to season 1.

Season 3 is better so far.  They've given us a lot more reason to care about the core group of Javier and his family as opposed to the disposable cast from season 2.  Starting with a mostly new cast was a good way to begin the story and the way they've slowly revealed Javier's background has kept me interested.  Everything feels a lot more natural and less cheap/forced compared the stuff they pulled in S2.  I'm eager to see where everything goes.

From a story perspective, I am kind of worried about how Telltale will handle things moving forward with...*SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 1 AND 2 OF SEASON 3*
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Javier and his brother David.  I could be jumping to conclusions, but it appears they're setting it up to make Javier ultimately choose between siding with his brother or Clementine...which is weird.  We the player have a ton of investment in Clementine, Javier doesn't.  As a player, I kind of still carry Lee around with me in my head while I'm playing these games and he would do anything and everything to keep her safe.  It tends to conflict with how Javier would react, which already popped up in this 2 part episode.  Example: I stayed back with Clem at the junkyard to fight.  I can't imagine why Javier would do that and split with this family to protect some random person he just met the day before.  Same thing with killing the guy in the subway.  As the spirit of Lee, fuck yes I blew his head off.  Would Javier do that?  It's hard to tell.  It could make some of the later choices feel cheap or out of character with the way they're pitting experienced walking dead players against themselves, in a round about way. We'll see how it goes.

Still a lot of unknowns.  We still don't know what split up Javier and kids from David, I'm sure that will play into the where the story goes from here.  Maybe Javier ran away with David's family and he's super pissed.  Maybe David cast them off.  Maybe they thought David was dead.  A lot of different potential directions for the backstory to play out.
[close]

TL;DR-I think it is better than S2 so far.  I also like the new characters. Cautiously optimistic about future episodes but I have some reservations as well. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 10:21:27 AM by Let's Cyber »

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 05:29:51 PM »
Would be nice if Telltale changed their formula up once every couple of years.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 06:04:29 PM »
I know Telltale gets a lot of shit but honestly I like what they do.

The novelty of these visual novel style games they make is over but I think as long as you don't end up playing all of them you can have a good time without burning out.

Walking Dead Season 1, The Wolf Among Us, and Tales from the Borderlands, I all consider good shit. I hope they land the guardians of the galaxy game as I think that could be really fun too.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 03:50:21 AM »
I'd be down for GotG, I didn't even know that was upcoming. 

I'm not burned out on the formula but I've skipped a majority of their releases.  I have wanted to get around to The Wolf Among Us for a while now.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 05:42:51 AM »
I didn't play through Michonne because season 2 was a big letdown. Is it worth getting back into it?
PS4

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 11:55:15 PM »
I have problems playing Telltale games since they are such huge fuckups that my choices are negated in the following episode because SAVING BINARY CHOICES IS REALLY HARD APPARENTLY

Walking Dead forgot PRETTY FUCKING SUBSTANTIAL CHOICES between episodes 3-4 (Xbox 360)
Totally ruined the ending of Tales from the Borderlands since my favorite characters were dead/unavailable come episode 5 (Android)

So yeah someone is real bad at QA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 10:13:16 PM »
I have problems playing Telltale games since they are such huge fuckups that my choices are negated in the following episode because SAVING BINARY CHOICES IS REALLY HARD APPARENTLY

Walking Dead forgot PRETTY FUCKING SUBSTANTIAL CHOICES between episodes 3-4 (Xbox 360)
Totally ruined the ending of Tales from the Borderlands since my favorite characters were dead/unavailable come episode 5 (Android)

So yeah someone is real bad at QA

If only the choices were being stored on some kind of device which is good at binary.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 11:22:00 PM »
Eh, even on PC people have problems with saves being ate. It's just Telltale being shit at programming and their engine blowing thousands of ass.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 04:03:13 AM »
Finished Ep. 3.

This season is good. I hope people don't overlook it after season 2 and Michonne. 

archnemesis

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 05:16:56 AM »
How would you compare it with S1?

Let's Cyber

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 06:28:46 AM »
I don't think it is quite as good as S1 but the story isn't finished yet. It is definitely better than S2. It feels like they took the criticisms of S2 to heart because this is very much a streamlined, more personal story. The main character Javier is really well done IMO.

The way S1 was about Lee and Clem, this season is very much about Javier and his core group. S2 didn't really have that. Clementine had to hold the entire structure of the story up by herself. It just really didn't work IMO. I as a player really didn't care about the S2 cast.  Many didn't stick around very long and most of them felt disposable as a result. The ones that did make it several episodes were generally unlikeable. Thankfully I do care about the core characters in S3.

These games really need to be about the characters and tough choices (as superficial as they are a lot of the time) and in that sense this season is much closer to season 1 than season 2.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:26:12 PM by Let's Cyber »

archnemesis

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 06:43:59 AM »
Sounds like I should pick it up then. I have enjoyed most of Telltale's games, but I do get tired of the meaningless choices and the repetitive action sequences.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 09:36:48 AM »
Do people yell at you for doing every small thing like in Season 2? It was so silly ROFL
fat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 10:07:45 AM »
I still like Telltale games, but I only mainline them when the full season is out.
©@©™

Let's Cyber

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 07:41:46 PM »
Do people yell at you for doing every small thing like in Season 2? It was so silly ROFL
hahaha not to the same degree, no. Everyone hated Clem in S2.  :lol

Many of the big choices do make you pick sides. If you're making one person happy (or doing what you feel is the right thing), someone else is going to feel slighted in a lot of cases. It feels more like Lee vs. Kenny type stuff as opposed to the constant "FUCK YOU CLEMENTINE" in S2.
I still like Telltale games, but I only mainline them when the full season is out.
This is a wise choice.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 03:42:44 PM »
Finished Episode 3. It was good. The episodes feel shorter to me for whatever reason this season but I think this is a good thing as it encourages them to do less. The more time they have in the past the more wacky things get so keep it short and simple is probably better.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 09:08:21 PM »
Ep. 4 is out btw.

Going to try and finish it tonight.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 11:55:38 PM »
Well this episode made me feel like shit.  :lol

Let's Cyber

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 01:18:15 AM »
Ep. 5 is out. Will check it out tomorrow.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 09:57:16 AM »
Finished. Eh, my ending was pretty wonky. I'm guessing there are a lot more possible endings compared to the other entries but as a result some of the characters are less fleshed out. How one of the major characters ended up dying in my game was really unsatisfying. (and it occurred off screen because of a choice I made  :-\)

I rate the 3 seasons as...

Season 1- 9/10
Season 2- 6/10
New Frontier- 7.5/10

Better than 2 but no where close to season 1.

thisismyusername

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2017, 01:19:45 AM »
Finally picked it up since it was like $12 for the season on Steam.

Finished the first episode. I liked how they made it feel like "yay, you survived the suicide mission with your entire party" only to swerve on that. :lol I was expecting it to happen, but still when
the daughter of your brother gets shot in the face
[close]
you're like "OMG."

Also, why the hell did Jane (from Season 2):
Kill herself? The baby's fate isn't even explained (guess I'll get this later in the season) but her hanging herself was truly WTF. I guess because she saw what happened during the child labor in season 2? But still... you could've told Clem, Jane... WTF.
[close]

thisismyusername

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2017, 03:28:18 PM »
Finished. I didn't like how

we aren't really told AJ's fate. It's "oh he was sick so they separated him from Clem because reasons."
[close]

At least in my game (where Clem becomes a "renewed soul") she finds out where they are located. So... :idont I guess a plot thread for the 4th season.

I did like that Clem was a bystander this season, giving advice but the player character was the one that was the one making the decisions. I hope in the 4th season she's still in the backseat like that.  I do think this season is better than season 2, but kinda weaker than season 1 because it seemed (at least to me) that
Kate clearly was gonna die after that gutshot. For someone that had internal bleeding she certainly lived longer/went missing after saving Richmond.
[close]

Gabe wasn't a complete dick like /v/ made me think he was gonna be. Probably because I treated him like a uncle would, IDK. :idont

If that DLC rumor is true, I'll get it in the winter sale, should be interesting to see that loose plot-thread finished.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:36:00 PM by thisismyusername »

Let's Cyber

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2017, 08:05:07 PM »
Gabe definitely got on my nerves, especially when
he threw me under the bus and blurted out that I killed Conrad.

Stupid motherfucker
[close]

thisismyusername

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2017, 10:36:43 PM »
Oh, yeah. That pissed me off. Like "really, dude? I save your ass and that's what you're going to do for me?" :lol

Stoney Mason

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2020, 10:06:33 PM »
Corona is helping me clear out my backlog.

Finished off this season of Walking Dead.

I liked it. I mean anything is an improvement over Season 2 but I genuinely was compelled through most of this. I didn't get the ending I wanted so I was a little salty about that but it is what it is in these kind of games. The ending felt a little rushed both in the resolution of the main plot line and the resolution of some of the main players in this season post the main events. But the main story beat were executed well enough. Honestly I think the main problem with the Walking Dead is that the dourness of the franchise makes it a little too predictable but whatever.

I'm curious to try the Final Season 4 since I know the company went under at that point and even ended up cutting an episode. Is it a trainwreck or surprisingly decent considering the turmoil. We will see I guess.

Bebpo

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2020, 10:08:27 PM »
Stoney, since I saw you were catching up on Telltale stuff, would you recommend this over Batman or vice-versa?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2020, 10:18:06 PM »
Stoney, since I saw you were catching up on Telltale stuff, would you recommend this over Batman or vice-versa?

I mean I think Batman is the better game if you are only gonna play one. Both seasons are in that regard.  I think its both more fun and ambitious in a way than the walking dead. But I can say I didn't hate this season. I didn't like Season 2 at all as a reference point so maybe my low expectations in that regard also helped honestly.

Part of the reason I hated season 2 is because every character felt like a douchebag. Like they went overboard on trying to be bleak and miserable. And while there are certainly a fair share of awful people in Season 3, at least not everybody is a complete dickbag.

thisismyusername

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2020, 10:49:43 PM »
Season 4/The Final Season is good if you're invested into Clementine. It's a Clem focused season and you basically raise AJ through it like a mirror of Season 1.

YMMV.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2020, 10:55:47 PM »
Season 4/The Final Season is good if you're invested into Clementine. It's a Clem focused season and you basically raise AJ through it like a mirror of Season 1.

YMMV.

I am. I mean Lee and Clementine are the most compelling characters in the franchise imo so clem is the only reason to be playing at this point. Not that the lead character of season 3 was awful or anything.

thisismyusername

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2020, 11:14:17 PM »
It's funny to me, because Season 3 was alright... but in retrospective: The family they introduced doesn't even show up in Season 4. So it's like "why did you make it/folks consider it season 3?" At this point, it's just a one-off that features Clem like Michonne, to me.

At the very least, Javier and Jesus having a moment [at least for me] in Season 4 would've been nice.
[close]