Author Topic: Dead Cells: A Rogue-Like Castlevania! (PC/Console)  (Read 3942 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Dead Cells: A Rogue-Like Castlevania! (PC/Console)
« on: January 20, 2017, 08:04:25 AM »
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=669872308

Yoooo this looks hype!  :drool

Dead Cells is a roguelike, Castlevania-inspired action-platformer, allowing you to explore a sprawling, ever-changing castle… assuming you’re able to fight your way past its keepers. To beat the game you’ll have to master 2D souls-like combat with the ever present threat of permadeath looming. No checkpoints. Kill, die, learn, repeat.
We’re huge fans of Roguelikes and Castlevania… So it was only natural for us to give birth to their illegitimate son, the Roguevania.

We especially love the threat, adrenaline and that addictive feeling of having no checkpoints to save you from your screw ups. Procedural generation is a great way to provide a solid amount of diversity, while we make sure the level design always stays fun. We’re aiming to offer a different experience in each and every run and still give the world a meticulously handcrafted feel.

Roguelike, Rogue-lite, roguelike-like, rogueschmike! The world needs more of these and we'd like to present for your consideration, the RogueVANIA. This means an interconnected world that you unlock progressively through exploration and battling bosses, with death replacing backtracking. Each death will unlock more of the world and you’ll begin to understand the scale of the choices in front of you. Sick of the stinking sewers? Why not go over the ramparts? It’s your skill, playstyle and of course the loot you find that will determine your choice your path.

But don’t think this will be a walk in the park. Pattern based monsters, and demanding boss fights will force you to fight cautiously and build your strength. Every weapon has its own unique feel and rolling and dodging will become second nature as you learn to manage the mobs of monsters that will overwhelm the unprepared. Tough, but fair.

Tired of the violence and death? Explore a bit, take a stroll, enjoy the view from the ramparts, find a secret room. Thomas and Gwen, our graphic artists, never miss an opportunity to impress with their pixelart and shape a world that you’ll want to explore. You might even learn a little more about the lore of the place, who knows?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 10:53:18 AM by bork »
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Re: Dead Cells: A Rogue-Like Castlevania! (Steam)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 09:09:12 AM »
I think I had my filling of roguelikes

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 09:25:34 AM »
That's crazy. The same dudes who made this, made Die2night. That web-based, multiplayer Zombie survival game everyone went crazy for in 2010.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 10:16:52 AM »
Mad curious.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 10:45:40 AM »
I like intricately designed castles in my Castlevania. I'm not sure procedural generation will be too compelling in a Castlevania-like.
zzzzz

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 12:56:58 PM »
I like intricately designed castles in my Castlevania. I'm not sure procedural generation will be too compelling in a Castlevania-like.

From the developer:

We will talk a little bit more about the procedural content soon, but here are 3 sample maps we currently use ingame. They are all generated, but we use many hand-crafted elements to ensure the overall level design quality is not "too random", if you see what I mean ;)

First map: a typical sewer
Second one: a small dungeon that feature large rooms
Third one: a level that takes place on roofs

Looks good to me!
ど助平

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 04:36:12 PM »
I'm not normally one to grouse about indie games being indie games, but this one's pretty egregious in it's indie-ness.  Still, if they get it right i'll play it - Rogue Legacy sure didn't, and it promised much the same.
ǚ

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 06:06:47 AM »
Been playing this game for a few weeks in early access, but it comes out next week on the 7th of August. So y' all console players will finally be able to buy/play it.

Although I would recommend playing it on PC so you can use the Castlevania OST mod ;).

This game is the fucking tits

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 06:10:53 AM by MMaRsu »
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Dead Cells: A Rogue-Like Castlevania! (PC/Console)
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 10:54:00 AM »
I've been waiting for it to get out of early access and can't wait to get back to playing it.  Really cool little game.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 12:21:52 PM »
Preordered on Switch already

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 03:55:07 AM »
Looks gorgeous but a little too frantic.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 11:02:04 AM »
Looks gorgeous but a little too frantic.

Ehh it's really not
What

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 12:39:17 PM »
Even the early access version of this game was fun.

Can't wait to try the full blown game now.  8)

Freyj

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 03:29:48 PM »
So this isn't going to be one of those special Switch titles that unlocks at midnight is it?

kingv

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 01:36:53 AM »
Started it... and it’s pretty good, maybe not amazing? It seems pretty good, but the controls seem sort of floaty, like those old rotoscope games.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 07:40:36 AM »
I think it feels tight af why do u think its floaty?
What

kingv

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 08:39:35 AM »
I’m not exactly sure how to explain it. But I think it’s mostly the jump, particularly the double jump. It just feels off to me. It’s pnly about 30 minutes worth of play time though, so my opinion might change as I put a little more into it, I do like the attitude of the game and main character though. It’s got a nice sense of humor.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 10:22:07 AM »
Hmm well that's the first time I've seen someone say it's floaty :P. I use the roll a shitload though, even during double jumps etc.
What

Switters

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 11:12:11 AM »
This game is my new jam. It probably won't get near The Binding of Isaac number of hours spent playing, but I'm getting that ole tingle in the booty hole that only a rogue lite can provide.

troll

Freyj

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 11:26:57 AM »
Remap the controls immediately. Dodge on B/O is dumb as dogshit.

Freyj

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 02:45:56 PM »
Turrets feel broken as fuck leveling Purple and taking Purple mutations. I got sloppy on the first boss or I would've beaten him just throwing down new turrets and dodge rolling.

:dead

kingv

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 01:17:24 PM »
Agreed on turrets, but to be honest, I think the game would be too hard for me otherwise.

I felt like I was really just grinding the prison until I managed to just start going nuts on turrets and traps. Now I’ve cleared like three or four different areas on the first go, beat the first boss on the first go, and am getting pretty close to the second boss. The combination of the traps that stick an enemy in one place and the turrets is pretty godly.

eleuin

• perennial loser

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 01:51:06 PM »
Is Baguette literal, or are they being self-depricating about French cuisine?

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 02:03:04 PM »
seems to be the latter

Freyj

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 02:07:54 PM »
Agreed on turrets, but to be honest, I think the game would be too hard for me otherwise.

I felt like I was really just grinding the prison until I managed to just start going nuts on turrets and traps. Now I’ve cleared like three or four different areas on the first go, beat the first boss on the first go, and am getting pretty close to the second boss. The combination of the traps that stick an enemy in one place and the turrets is pretty godly.

Yeah past the first boss when enemies start hitting me for 40% of my bar I don’t think I could be slash and hacking. Maybe that’ll change.

Freyj

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 12:16:23 PM »
Got to High Castle last night with an incredible loadout and got 100 to dead in 1 second by a wandering sword guy’s tornado ability.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 03:14:42 PM »
Some equipment and weapons have -10 damage or -20 damage so make sure to grab those :)

and have a very high dps weapon
What

xabaras

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 01:25:46 AM »
Love the game , but i guess i’m getting a bit burned out on it, i used to consistently get to the high castle but now i usually fuck up on the way there cause i’m rushing through the levels. Also trying to find a balance of picking up just the right amount of powerups, since the final boss seems to be scaling up aggressively with your level and hp and using all of them makes the fight much harder.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2018, 08:59:46 PM »

Great game though i think i might have spent too much time dicking around without really trying to progress.

:doge

Freyj

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2018, 09:27:16 PM »
First time I've gotten to Hand and I died (without using any healing  :-\) within 20s.

Way too much health.

Feels like Legendary Infantry Bow + Turrets is pretty much the only foolproof way I'm getting there.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2018, 09:30:31 PM »
just hit clocktower first time

Bebpo

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2018, 10:07:58 PM »
Anyone know how the Switch version of this holds up?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2018, 10:45:04 PM »
Anyone know how the Switch version of this holds up?

It has some very noticeable framerate issues that the devs are claiming will be fixed by November.  I got last it Friday and did a quick little run-through. 

Started off the game undocked and ran through the first area.  Felt pretty smooth.  Went to an outdoor area and docked the game.  It then started getting more and more framerate dips, to the point where the game started looking kind of 'jerky.'  This continued after I died and went back to the initial area.  I undocked it again and it seemed to run a bit better, but might be that it's just less noticeable.

I don't think that the game in its current state is bad on Switch, but you definitely would want to get this on another platform over this one as it's nice and smooth elsewhere.  Don't think anyone would regret it on Switch, though- just keep in mind that there's gonna be potentially major framerate issues depending on where you are.
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2018, 10:46:37 PM »
Again if ur playing this on pc I highly recommend the steam workshop mod Castlevania Soundtrack
What

Freyj

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2018, 11:09:53 PM »
November? Christ.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 10:43:49 AM »
November? Christ.

It's only two months, most Switch ports are 3-6 years old.
©@©™

Freyj

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2018, 02:26:21 PM »
The worst areas for me are the fishing village and clock tower. Anything with hazy visual effects just dumpsters the frame rate. Wish there was a setting to turn those off.

Freyj

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2018, 09:39:46 PM »
Finally beat Hand for the first time. Turns out that Survival (5 - 5 - 20) completely beats the hell out of Tactics for not getting exploded by bosses.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2019, 04:35:51 PM »
Playing this on gamepass. It's dope.