Author Topic: Likely Rumor: Ben Affleck Wants To Sabotage the DCEU By Leaving  (Read 3518 times)

213372bu

Likely Rumor: Ben Affleck Wants To Sabotage the DCEU By Leaving
« on: February 13, 2017, 07:57:51 PM »
 The hero we deserve but not the hero we'll get: http://screenrant.com/batman-ben-affleck-leaving-role/

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Likely Rumor: Ben Affleck Wants To Sabotage the DCEU By Leaving
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 08:04:03 PM »
Can't blame him, I'd want out of that mess as quickly as possible, too.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 08:09:25 PM »
I liked him in the role, but BvS was a shit sandwich, and Suicide Squad was the best looking chocolate mousse follow-up which turned out to be a well-whipped turd. Affleck was good in each, but they were just bad, bad movies.

Clooney distanced himself from Batman to save himself, no reason Affleck can't do the same.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 08:24:41 PM »
The amount of directors coming and leaving projects, the message from the ex-employee to the execs... something must be genuinely wrong over there.

Probably boils down to WB being desperate to get the DCEU up and running and putting too much pressure on each movie to be "The One" that gets them on the same playing field as Marvel.
dog

Boredfrom

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 08:33:03 PM »
Meh, they killed any hype after he decided to not direct the Batman film.

I will not mind another Suicide Squad film.

Probably boils down to WB being desperate to get the DCEU up and running and putting too much pressure on each movie to be "The One" that gets them on the same playing field as Marvel.

lol not with Zack Snyder at helm. The guys want a Cinematic universe but they are not willing to keep talent. Marvel at least started keeping some people before also fire them.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 08:37:39 PM by Boredfrom »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 11:23:16 PM »
The amount of directors coming and leaving projects, the message from the ex-employee to the execs... something must be genuinely wrong over there.

There is no way they are going to get an Avengers 1 while they're trying to Incredible Hulk right now. They need Affleck and make him Charming/Batman-y in a Batman solo-film with an aftercredits that slowly leads to Justice League instead.

But they aren't doing that, so fuck them. Let them flounder until they realize what Marvel did.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 11:26:27 PM »
Does it really need further sabotaging?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 12:10:18 AM »

There is no way they are going to get an Avengers 1 while they're trying to Incredible Hulk right now. They need Affleck and make him Charming/Batman-y in a Batman solo-film with an aftercredits that slowly leads to Justice League instead.

But they aren't doing that, so fuck them. Let them flounder until they realize what Marvel did.

DC will continue to chase Marvel endlessly, it's what they've done in comics, it's what they'll do in movies.

Personally, I like The Flash and Arrow better on TV than Agents of SHIELD; I'm baffled how DC got their TV so right while messing up the movies so badly.

Boredfrom

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 01:33:16 AM »

DC will continue to chase Marvel endlessly, it's what they've done in comics, it's what they'll do in movies.

Personally, I like The Flash and Arrow better on TV than Agents of SHIELD; I'm baffled how DC got their TV so right while messing up the movies so badly.

LOL Control your inner fanboy, dude.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 01:58:45 AM »
DC will continue to chase Marvel endlessly, it's what they've done in comics
:bolo

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 05:14:25 AM »
oh no maybe he can direct some movies for adults now

thisismyusername

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 05:58:47 AM »
oh no maybe he can direct some movies for adults now

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/hidden-figures-monster-trucks-live-by-night-ben-affleck-1201960810/

:girlaff

People aren't going to Ben Affleck films for his directing.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 07:11:19 AM »

Same here.  "Arrowverse" with Arrow/Flash/Legends Of Tomorrow (Supergirl sorta-kinda counts now, but I haven't watched it) has their ups and downs, but generally makes for some pretty damn fun TV.   SHIELD suffered after Marvel decided to separate it from the movies, which I really don't understand.  Ditto for the Netflix shows being basically cut off from the rest, too.  All this shit should be connected.
ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 09:32:17 AM »
Y u mad like dc isn't perpetual second fiddle

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 10:06:47 AM »
Josh Gad for next batman using his character from The Internship.  :doge
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:29:35 PM by Brehvolution »
©ZH

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 11:16:30 AM »
 :woody

They'd probably kill for one more Nolan/Bale Batman movie at this point. This shitty marriage with Snyder is just getting worse and worse. 

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »
Affleck is the only good thing about the the DC movies, but I can't really blame him.
野球

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 01:26:33 PM »
10 years ago I said DC should go completely towards animated films. They were good at doing it (on television and straight to DVD) and there was little competition (save for the random Pixar or Dreamworks film). Chasing the live action route is too costly and hard to pick the right talent to guide it.  Marvel has been extremely lucky, but still have had many missteps.

I totally would watch an animated WW movie. Live action? Hell no.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 01:30:30 PM »
The animated movies still continue to be good at least 4 out of every 5. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 02:57:11 PM »
10 years ago I said DC should go completely towards animated films. They were good at doing it (on television and straight to DVD) and there was little competition (save for the random Pixar or Dreamworks film). Chasing the live action route is too costly and hard to pick the right talent to guide it.  Marvel has been extremely lucky, but still have had many missteps.

I would love to see them go the big-budget animated route.  They would be able to do stuff that Marvel would be able to do as easily with live action film.  But that's not gonna happen.

I totally would watch an animated WW movie. Live action? Hell no.

They made one in 2009.  It wasn't bad.

(LOL at the smug face  :lol)

Speaking of which, I still need to watch the Justice League Dark movie and the Teen Titans Judas Contract movie (is that out yet?).
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 08:25:01 PM »
DC will continue to chase Marvel endlessly, it's what they've done in comics
:bolo
LOL Control your inner fanboy, dude.

"To put it bluntly, The Problem is that DC wants to be Marvel, and they have for the past 50 years." - from Ask Chris

Read that, tell me he doesn't have a point. It's long, but it's well-informed and worth it. FWIW, Batman is hands-down my favorite superhero, some of my absolute favorite comics are DC published, and I've got a comic book collection dating back to books I bought new before you were born (yeah, I went there). I've seen 40 years of comic book culture firsthand, and that Ask Chris article has got it right.

Affleck is the only good thing about the the DC movies, but I can't really blame him.
Affleck was very good. I couldn't get over the presentation of Batman as a careless, unrepentant killer in BvS, and moreso the confrontation with Deadshot in Suicide Squad. If anyone's going to avoid traumatizing a child via confronting their parent in an alleyway, it's Bruce Wayne.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 08:43:27 PM »
I still haven't seen any of the DC universe movies. Except Man of Steel. but I might have been really drunk for that since i don't actually remember much
dur

Rahxephon91

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 09:04:10 PM »
Eh is'nt this extremely fake? Like the guy who said it said to take it with a grain of salt.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 12:01:05 AM »
Warner Bros. has been a strange disaster area for years now. Look at what happened to their gaming fiasco from top to bottom.

The animated branch was basically ignored by management from what I understand until they recently got roped into the whole "ONE BRAND" movement. (Which Marvel/Disney doesn't even really do.)

Zach Snyder is willing to play the game to get stuff he wants to do done fan wise (Watchmen being shot for shot from the comic basically, the TDKR lines, the fact that he's importing The Fourth World mythos writ large into the DCEU as the main "true" villains WITHOUT using Darkseid yet, etc.), Affleck probably isn't interested in studio politics to where he'd tow the lion enough. WB probably wants Harley Quinn and The Joker in the movie or whatever and less about everything that worked in BvS for Batman, just like they've been doing with Superman like cutting him out of his own movie.

benjipwns

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 12:06:14 AM »
WB might want to realize this kind of thing could be a blessing considering that Disney is about to blow their wad with Infinity War and lose half or more of their Avengers cast along with finally getting to Thanos. There's going to be a gap for them to slide into as Marvel rebuilds with a new cast around Spidey, but they want to get it out there NOW.

DC's got a weird age disparity among their League that wasn't going to hold up.

thisismyusername

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 01:04:37 AM »
I dunno. Marvel will lose Downey as he's getting up there in age (but Jackman did Wolverine for 20 years, so I guess we could see Downey for a bit longer, especially as he doesn't do most of his own stunts). The Chris' will stay. ScarJo is a toss-up (but probably would stay?), Renner would probably stay. As would Chedale.

I dunno about Ruffalo, but I could maybe see him sticking around.

In fact, in an ideal world, Downey as Stark would be like Sam L. Jackson's Fury, behind the scenes and doing like 1-2 scenes per movie. This would allow them to keep the older cast/characters while bouncing off their Phase 5(?)+ new characters like Starlord, Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers, etc.

benjipwns

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2017, 01:18:39 AM »
The Chris' contracts are already up with Infinity War though both have indicated they'll do RDJ type deals (aka helicopter that cash in) on a per movie basis. I'm assuming the rest will do the same. Even RDJ.

Marvel has pointed to the Avengers comic lineup changing when pushed on it, so I have to imagine that's their plan. Carol Danvers was the character I was forgetting who is expected to be the other tent pole for the new team. Depending on how the Inhumans and Black Panther does gives them lots of leeway as well. They've barely scraped their lineup, in part because until recently they didn't even have their biggest star (Spidey) nor have they had their biggest team (X-Men).

I'm not saying Marvel is going to be fucked, Fox has done just fine swapping the X-Men ffs, I'm just saying WB probably should have been targeting the change over period that RDJ is going to trigger. Instead they set themselves up to take on Marvel's biggest films and bookend of this era. Civil War and Infinity War. I figure that's why they instantly have rushed to Batman fighting Superman, THE JOKER, and Justice League against Darkseid which are your three biggest bullets in the DC Arsenal.

They really should have bide their time with that Superman-only sequel that had planned for after Returns, with Luthor and Braniac. Then you've got better setups for both the Justice League and Batman being pissed. It took them four fucking years anyway.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 01:24:41 AM by benjipwns »