Author Topic: New Drew Scanlon Joint and thread title that enrages people  (Read 3409 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
New Drew Scanlon Joint and thread title that enrages people
« on: March 13, 2017, 01:09:45 PM »
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 04:01:56 PM by Stoney Mason »

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
Re: New Drew Scanlon Joint
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 03:51:33 PM »
Looks Cool

Good luck to him.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 04:10:17 PM »
I chipped in. First time I've done it because I like the concept and he does good work. Looks like the Patreon is going well for him so far.
nat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »
Who is this guy? A decent idea though it's definitely not the first time something like this has been attempted. (Pete Dorr's videos about gaming in India were fantastic)
^_^

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 04:45:25 PM »
He used to be Giant Bomb's video producer. One of the community favourites.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 07:29:40 PM »
 This looks like it could be a really interesting video series!

When I first saw the title, "cloth map,"  I assumed this was going to be some sort of tabletop simulator thing, where we could all play in a number of games in a multipurpose environment. I thought he was going to turn out to be a developer.  Am I a petty little bitch for feeling that claiming 10 years in "games journalism" doesn't count as 10 years in Games?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 10:16:46 PM »
Thread titled enrages me

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 09:02:37 AM »
Am I a petty little bitch for feeling that claiming 10 years in "games journalism" doesn't count as 10 years in Games?

No, they are completely different industries. Being a journalist has no applicable skills or gained insight that can be transferred to making games, however they sure like pretending that it does.

Drew did QA for EA but it's still not making gaemz.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:09:15 AM by a slime appears »

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 03:36:21 PM »
I can't shed the feeling that he's asking us to pay for his exotic travels.

I love Drew, but this just rubbed me the wrong way when it started.
rub

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 04:00:14 PM »

Well... he is. He is literally having us pay for his ability to travel to exotic locations.
nat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: New Drew Scanlon Joint and thread title that enrages people
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 04:14:34 PM »
imagine being so invested in someone you willingly fund their overseas trips while you sit at home and have exisential crisises by the day
fat

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 04:16:33 PM »

Drew: "I'm burned out on my job, man.  I just want to travel for a few years. See the world"

Jeff: "How are you going to pay for all that?"

Drew:  :rollsafe

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 05:43:55 PM »
imagine being so invested in someone you willingly fund their overseas trips while you sit at home and have exisential crisises by the day

©@©™

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 10:42:09 PM »
I'm all for drew scamming the morons that fund this. I appreciate a good con
dur

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 11:51:56 PM »
Am I a petty little bitch for feeling that claiming 10 years in "games journalism" doesn't count as 10 years in Games?

No, they are completely different industries. Being a journalist has no applicable skills or gained insight that can be transferred to making games, however they sure like pretending that it does.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Thank you~!

Even now that I'm out of games ("on sabbatical"), my favorite beverage remains the salty tears of "games journalists" who make the transition to development, and cry repeatedly, "THIS IS HARD. WHY DOES IT HURT?" Charming, try TWENTY YEARS of it, then talk to me about it.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 08:23:58 AM »
$20,412 per month

LMAO

Good for him I guess.  I support nerds getting ripped off on general principle.
🍆🍆

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 08:49:53 AM »
$20,412 per month

LMAO

Good for him I guess.  I support nerds getting ripped off on general principle.

:o :( :lol

Laugh's on me, I guess I chose the wrong career. HO. LEE. SHIT.

Fifstar

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 09:10:19 AM »
 :trigger
Gulp

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 04:22:21 PM »
Drew's done a bunch of travelogue stuff previously, he's good at it. So there's an established ability to deliver here and it isn't quite just 'pay for my vacation, suckers!', but there is definitely an element of that to this.
Hi

Freyj

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 05:09:49 PM »
Drew's done a bunch of travelogue stuff previously, he's good at it. So there's an established ability to deliver here and it isn't quite just 'pay for my vacation, suckers!', but there is definitely an element of that to this.

don't pay for it

watch anyway if it's good

:rollsafe

Trent Dole

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2017, 06:38:52 PM »
That is the plan my droog.
Hi

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 01:39:12 PM »
Much like most internet businesses I'd love to see the financials and projections on this. 240,000 is not that much per year to do this and have a support staff. And also have an office in San Francisco.

:nerds
[close]
rub

PlayDat

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 11:53:59 PM »
If the episodes are free then I'll watch, but I won't be subscribing regardless.  Although I've never used Patreon, I do like how its providing income for the hungry artists out there.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 09:33:59 AM »

[close]

Thank you~!

Even now that I'm out of games ("on sabbatical"), my favorite beverage remains the salty tears of "games journalists" who make the transition to development, and cry repeatedly, "THIS IS HARD. WHY DOES IT HURT?" Charming, try TWENTY YEARS of it, then talk to me about it.
I think in this specific instance there's a pass you could make for Drew in that Drew's not really a "games journalist" other than the fact he's been with GiantBomb and they put everyone on the air especially after the split and they needed even more bodies for the podcast, etc. If you watch any of their behind the scenes stuff he (and Vinny and Jason) could be video producing (and have IIRC) for many forms of content at CBS probably. They just happen to like games and get the benefit to do so. (Although I think Vinny got drafted a number of times, especially during the early days for ComicVine and etc.)

There's a technical skill set that's distinctly different from Jeff or Brad's for example. Some of it would be definitely applicable to development like recently they described Drew figuring how to store all their raw data and work through the transitions to copying 720p and then 1080p level gameplay video along with their studio footage.

Plus everyone knows you just copy/paste everything into UnrealScript and hit compile until it has that "Unreal look" to it and ship. Or at least you could for the last decade before Nintendo went outside the box and shamed everyone again the bastards.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 01:16:24 AM »
Nintendo gets more right than they're credited for, and a lot of that is choosing not to run the same bullshit spec arms race and commensurate production costs that came with it.

Drew gets his big monthly check and that's cool, that's fine. My problem isn't with people in games-journalism who are good at self promotion, it's that as much as game development and publishing wants to pretend they're like movies, they want to do it without drawing any attention to creators or having some form of celebrity attached to them.

When they /have/ "recently" tried it, it's been with artificial creations like American McGee (who didn't want it), or David Jaffe (who wanted it but couldn't actually handle it), or Cliffy B (who bailed). Yes, I'm intentionally leaving off Lord British, Roberta Williams, Shigeru Miyamoto, Sid Meier, et al who existed in the time when games were much closer to one-person productions. There needs to be a space where contribution is celebrated, and allow for organically generated recognition.

PlayDat

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2017, 12:04:15 PM »
Hooked on IKEA - VLOG 01

Trent Dole

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 10:00:57 PM »
Just decided to check YouTube and saw this unwatchable 360 vid on CAX, but that reminded me, why is this channel so...dead?

Is there another site where he posts his travel vlogs or something? :doge
Hi

G The Resurrected

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 11:18:04 PM »
He has been holding back videos to pad his trips out. I'm not a fan of that and not being transparent about it is even more of a sin in the patreon world. I have given him 3 months since his ukraine trip to see the Chernobyl video and it hasn't been put up. So yeah sorry Drew adios.  :maf

Moved my backing to Easy Allies

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 07:27:25 AM »
Not sure what you mean, he's been very open about his video schedule. Did you expect a trip and video suite every month? Because he was very specific in saying he would do a few trips a year. The videos being staggered aren't because he's holding them back, rather he's still working on it. He talks about the Chernobyl video in his last vlog.
nat

G The Resurrected

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2017, 12:44:49 PM »
I didn't see Vlog 3 so thanks for the heads up. I'm still a bit skeptical, but I'll at least give him a second chance.