Author Topic: Metal Thread  (Read 4820 times)

seagrams hotsauce

Metal Thread
« on: June 07, 2017, 03:13:22 AM »
Dufus just found out about Reign In Blood and i'm on a huge slayer kick now. Kerry King sucks ass

seagrams hotsauce

Re: Metal Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 03:48:04 AM »
Everything up and to including Reign in Blood :bow

South of Heaven and beyond  :holeup

spoiler (click to show/hide)
King Diamond  :neogaf
[close]

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 03:58:15 AM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 04:48:55 AM »
I'm really into 'occult crimes' on netflix cuz everytime they say "thrash metal" they pronounce it "trash metal"

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 05:51:12 AM »
Thrash metal is Mike Tyson's favorite

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 02:32:31 PM »
Seasons def has its moments. I'm on record saying it's better than RiB but on further reflection, that's not true. I think SoH is boring as sin

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 05:18:44 PM »
Kaffir Tha Gawd gonna hate on me but

:noah

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 06:25:09 PM »
Going to Copenhell in a few weeks, really good lineup this year I think. Of course especially Dillinger and Architects.

Then going to Leipzig and Cologne in August to watch the two last Dillinger shows in Europe. Already went and saw them in Olso, 3 times in Denmark, and twice in the UK this year. What a time to be alive.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 06:31:50 PM by Mr Gilhaney »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 06:28:53 PM »
Did you discover this song while LARPing? Or is this the song that got you into LARPing?

It's weird. I used to listen to a lot of music on mp3.com or something like that, in high school. Being a LOTR stan as a kid, the Nightfall In Middle Earth album cover intrigued me so I gave it a shot. Great album.
:noah

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 08:45:12 PM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 06:51:17 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 08:48:20 AM »
Going to Copenhell in a few weeks, really good lineup this year I think. Of course especially Dillinger and Architects.

(Image removed from quote.)

Then going to Leipzig and Cologne in August to watch the two last Dillinger shows in Europe. Already went and saw them in Olso, 3 times in Denmark, and twice in the UK this year. What a time to be alive.

Rob Zombie's playing?! I'm jealous!

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 10:24:21 AM »
The number twelve looks like you, reunited last year. Now announced for two of the dates I am going to watch Dillinger in Germany. What a time to be alive.

Mastodon  :zzz

Mastodon are weird. I really do like some of their stuff, but it feels like they should release maybe half the albums they do, and just collect the best for an album instead. Too many tracks that just feels like such meh.

(Image removed from quote.)

Rob Zombie's playing?! I'm jealous!

My friend is a huge Opeth(Playing at the same time) fan, and tbh, I much prefer to see them as well. Rob Zombie never really did anything to me.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 12:35:00 PM »

yes, that's a whole album. sit there and take it.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 12:50:13 PM »
Power Metal is slightly closer to actual metal than Hair Metal, but not by much.

I like the first two Mastodon albums (shout out to Drop A tuning lol) but the proggier they got the less interested I was. And holy shit @ #12 reunion, I revisited that first EP not long ago and still liked it

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 06:20:33 PM »
On the poppier side of things, I've been going back to Raunchy a lot lately. Confusion Bay remains one of my all time favorite albums, before they got a new singer in.

I like the first two Mastodon albums (shout out to Drop A tuning lol) but the proggier they got the less interested I was. And holy shit @ #12 reunion, I revisited that first EP not long ago and still liked it

Yeah, I've only gone through Remission so far. I did listen to Crack the Skye and Blood Mountain years ago, but I don't remember them much (so I must have not been enthralled with them at the time).

Re: power metal, I don't see how anyone can hate on Blind Guardian.

What can I say, can't fucking stand the cheese of something like Blind Guardian. Absolutely hate it and can't get past the vocals, and don't find the actual music itself that interesting either. :larry

yes, that's a whole album. sit there and take it.

Good man. Absolutely fantastic album.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 06:29:09 PM »
In other news, The Armed are supposed to release something new soon. Please appreciate this.

So good.  :holeup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 07:14:44 PM »
My friend is a huge Opeth(Playing at the same time) fan, and tbh, I much prefer to see them as well. Rob Zombie never really did anything to me.

Ah, there are many people who feel Rob has gone a bit too mainstream. I love his gimmick, and was even a big fan of the remix albums he put out. But I recognize that he's not considered hardcore by most metalheads.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 07:49:56 PM »
He's an easy highlight from that corner of the genre. I even bought that Powerman 5000 record back in the day for that mater

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 07:58:21 PM »
I don't listen to much metal anymore but when I do i tend to go back and spin a couple Behemoth and Arsis tracks:

love that first arsis album and the ep right after a lot

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 10:26:58 AM »

Ah, there are many people who feel Rob has gone a bit too mainstream. I love his gimmick, and was even a big fan of the remix albums he put out. But I recognize that he's not considered hardcore by most metalheads.

I know far too little about him, to know how his career has gone (and if he has gone mainstream), but I have seen him live once which left me a bit... Well just not all that impressed. Would watch again if I got an opportunity, but OPEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTH.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2017, 12:28:35 PM »

edit: Only meant to post that one song, not the whole album. :doge
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 12:44:06 PM by Rufus »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 10:22:06 AM »
I like metal.
©ZH

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2017, 03:15:42 PM »

etiolate

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 03:16:45 PM »
Stoned Meadow of Doom is a good chap

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2017, 03:19:13 PM »
This kinda swings more punk than I think ppl in this thread are looking for but i discovered this album recently and it was the first piece of metal in a long time that just immediately grabbed me

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 07:08:23 PM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2017, 03:15:24 AM »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2017, 01:27:22 PM »
Never seen Architects before, but excited to, even if Tom Searle died not long after the last album. Listening to it again now, it's pretty fucking heavy knowing the back story (that he had been fighting cancer for 3 years was kept a secret until he died).

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2017, 06:41:00 PM »
so I’ve been listening to metal for the first time in a while over the past couple weeks and after sifting through some recent black metal releases I found one that’s stuck with me.

I can already see the objections to Obsequiae’s Aria of Vernal Tombs: it’s immaculately produced, running counter to the low fi aesthetic you wanna target in a bm release; its overly focused on saccharine melody; there aren’t enough genuine bm tropes to justify itself as a part of the genre. All of that shit is true. The point of the record is to put the lead guitars into the foreground and let them move without any resistance from the other instrumentation. There’s little (though still definitely some) creativity with the percussion, few opportunities for the kind of blastbeating that cvlt fans of second wave bm like so much. The only thing paradigmatically bm about the record are the vocals, which feel more like an afterthought than a constitutive part of the listening experience. In spite of all that, the album works because of its commitment to the neo-medieval aesthetic, making it a smart iteration from earlier melodic bm stuff in dissection and sacramentum, and the strength of the songwriting. For what it’s worth, I keep coming back to this tape before all the other recent stuff I’ve listened to in part because it’s unlike anything else I’ve heard from a bm band.

Black metal fans should check it out and I’d suggest it even to some of you guys who are more into folk/power metal or even just more atmospheric music in general. There are thrashy portions of the record, principally to help break up the pace, but these guys aren’t overly dedicated to that bathory-strain of bm that wants to play a mile a minute.

e: sample track

https://m.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 06:50:48 PM by jakefromstatefarm »

agrajag

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2017, 05:31:02 AM »
wow, didn't know The Bore had an active metal thread.

Yeah, metal is pretty great.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2017, 11:30:10 AM »
Last night I went to a party
It was a heavy metal party
Everybody had poofy hairdos
Sporting big white Adidas sneakers
But everybody was having a good time
Everybody was gettin' wasted
And this this guy came in the room
Looking like the ghost of Cliff Burton

He was a headbanger
He whipped his head around so fast
He gave himself a concussion
Dude you better slow down
Before you break your neck
You know that shit can't be good for your brain

Holy shit man I can't take it
Just the sight of it was making me dizzy
Someone asked if I was in the KISS Army
And I sad, "What the fuck are you talking about?"
But everybody was having a good time
They were riding the Banzai pipeline
And then this guy took off his denim jacket
And his shirt said 'Bark at the Moon'

He was a headbanger
He whipped his head around so fast
He gave himself a concussion
Dude you better slow down
You're gonna give me a fucking headache.
You know that shit can't be good for your brain
Headbanger

Syph

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2017, 04:19:29 AM »
i thought this was a new thread and saw an Esch post and thought it was therefore recent
but alas
XO

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 12:23:24 AM »
He's an easy highlight from that corner of the genre. I even bought that Powerman 5000 record back in the day for that mater

I've got pretty much the entire Rob/White Zombie catalog, and I think Powerman 5000 only did the one album? I've also got The Electric Hellfire Club.

I guess I find something I like and then stick with it. I enjoyed the fuck out of Evanescence first album, Fallen, but didn't enjoy Amy Lee's drama or the follow-up album. The members who took off and formed We Are the Fallen produced a very polished follow up to Fallen, but also seemed infected with the same drama problems.

If anyone has suggestions of where to look next, I'd be obliged.

agrajag

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2017, 04:52:27 AM »
astro creep 2000  :lawd

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2018, 10:53:46 AM »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2018, 11:30:30 AM »
My favourite metal is oxidized copper, since green is my favourite colour.

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2018, 01:40:26 PM »
Since this forum is filled with Weebs, there's a pretty good metal band with songs about Berserk. It's called Beast In Black(very original, i know).

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2018, 01:47:50 PM »
©ZH

agrajag

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2018, 12:33:31 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2021, 08:15:31 AM »