Author Topic: Bayonetta has some fucked pacing  (Read 2010 times)

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
Bayonetta has some fucked pacing
« on: June 19, 2017, 11:45:38 PM »
The amount of cutscenes you gotta skip resembles MGS2. The amount of times you gotta hit pause to skip some eccentric but dull cutscene interrupts gameplay a lot, way too much.

Tons of small transition scenes that dont matter, scenes where Bayonetta just runs, stops, stares, and then more dull exposition shit. All the lore booklets spread throughout the game too. Its really weird how much backstory there is.

Like, theres a lot of effort put into the story, backstory, but it all falls flat. Only character action game that has ever had a fun and followable story is Metal Gear Rising. Bayonetta's story is convulted and dour.

OH!

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: Bayonetta has some fucked pacing
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 11:57:28 PM »
dislike

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 12:25:04 AM »
i only skipped the story in two games ever: sonic adventure 2 bc it was shit and Bayonetta bc good god shut up
pcp

mormapope

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 12:25:15 AM »
I judge action games on their pacing.

:yeshrug :miyamoto

I guess its intantly agreeable that Bayonetta has shitty pacing, since nothing i said was addressed. DMC3's story is corny and also dull. It does have better pacing than Bayonetta though. There werent backstory logs every 20 feet.

Dante also didnt have dementia flashbacks, and enemies sorta popped in, there wouldnt be a cutscene introduction.
OH!

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 12:45:21 AM »
why can't capcom top making bad fighting games and make a decent DMC3 pc port

mormapope

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 12:50:35 AM »
Bayonetta has a fuck ton of hiccups, tiny cutscenes that last 5 seconds. They stack up. Theres a cutscene everytime you go into the shop.  :lol

How long or much i need to use menus for game dictates how much i enjoy a game. Just running over a story log in Bayonetta interrupts the entire game, pauses it.

Bayonetta is the only character action game ive played that treats story shit that seriously.
OH!

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 06:08:47 AM »
bayonetta has horrific problems with pacing. (vanquish does too, while we're on the subject of platinum). cut scenes everywhere. some are animated, some are stills, some are these fucked up diorama things where the character models are posed and their hair and clothes animate, idk. there are too many characters that are just useless, the story has some kind of time travel nonsense in addition to amnesia, the central conflict is a mess, there is no sensible escalation to any stakes nor any character progression, etc, etc, etc.

dmc3 on the other hand is great with all of this. brisk cut scenes to start missions off, and a cut scene at the end of the mission. bosses get a intro cut scene. later in the game this structure is broken for effect, like the opening of mission 14 not having a cut scene. the story has a simple conflict with every character having a function in the story and a motivation for why they are there to begin with. it's real writers workshop 101, but it's far better than the garbled shit in bayonetta or the insipid attempt at satire in vanquish.

much better to execute something simple well, than to try real hard and fuck up at some too-clever shit that no one wanted in the first place. 

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 07:45:08 AM »
Bayonetta has a fuck ton of hiccups, tiny cutscenes that last 5 seconds. They stack up. Theres a cutscene everytime you go into the shop.  :lol

That's the mask load times on consoles. PC doesn't have a loading issue, so yeah...

I gotta agree that the story is pretty bad and the angel enemies only appear after certain bits because they forgot "oh, we're making a game! We have to include gameplay!"

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 10:14:14 AM »
Look at all this blasphemy.
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 10:41:20 AM »
Bayonetta is a fantastic game and the best of its genre. the story still sucks ass tho.
pcp

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »

Whatever, weeb

Stories in games (fucking ESPECIALLY action games) can do one of two things:

1) Step all over their dick getting in the way of the game, or
2) Get out of the way and let you enjoy the game

Bayonetta, despite it being pretty awesome, is definitely guilty of 1)
yar

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 10:46:51 AM »
Bayonetta is a fantastic game and the best of its genre. the story still sucks ass tho.
Bayo had a story?

:mynicca

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 10:51:45 AM »

Whatever, weeb

Stories in games (fucking ESPECIALLY action games) can do one of two things:

1) Step all over their dick getting in the way of the game, or
2) Get out of the way and let you enjoy the game

Bayonetta, despite it being pretty awesome, is definitely guilty of 1)

It's OK, I forgive you.  Bayonetta died went to Nintendo for your sins.
:rejoice
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 10:56:14 AM »
Bayonetta stepping on your dick. :noah
©@©™