Author Topic: Warhammer Thread  (Read 7208 times)

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
Warhammer Thread
« on: June 29, 2017, 08:44:51 PM »
This is where you talk about all things grimdark and grimderp
Or not

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Re: Warhammer Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 08:59:04 PM »
Bump it when Kara shows up again.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 08:59:43 PM »
is this your only regret?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 09:25:05 PM »

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 09:32:09 PM »
Bump it when Kara shows up again.

Eh, just splash about some BLOOD and a few SKULLS and he'll turn up before long.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 04:52:58 PM »
I hope Vermintide will be on ps plus one day

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 06:46:36 PM »
 I bought Mordheim on sale over a month ago, and haven't played it at all past the tutorial.  :-\

I own several of the 40K books as paperbacks, haven't read a dead tree book in over a year. Wait, no: I have read an RPG book in paper format, but it wasn't WH, so we don't count that here.

Before I moved to Japan, I sold all my lead figures and scenery to an enthusiast who never paints. I had an undead army for WHFB, an Eldar army for 40K, and a Necromunda gang. The high tech one, can't remember their name.

I love thinking about WH more than experiencing it, apparently.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 04:02:43 AM »
New posters, lets bump the important threads up

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 11:20:18 AM »
I am interested in that total war sandbox trilogy, but not full-price interested.  :doge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 11:46:03 AM »

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 05:54:07 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 08:22:57 PM »
A new "Warhammer" Games Workshop store opened downtown. It's right in the sweet spot of my usual Osaka run-around area. Jesus, help me avoid getting back into this expensive hobby again.  :doge

FatalT

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 10:54:11 PM »
Vermintide is on sale for like $12 on PSN. I picked it up and it’s definitrly scratching that Left 4 Dead itch. I always preferred the 40K universe more (I enjoyed that cancelled MMO of regular Warhammer that got cancelled though) but from everything I’ve seen about the Left 4 Dead-like 40K game, it’s garbage and super janky. Vermintide is pretty cool though and I didn’t know I wanted a leveling system, multiple classes, or loot in my Left 4 Dead until now.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 12:10:14 AM »
A new "Warhammer" Games Workshop store opened downtown. It's right in the sweet spot of my usual Osaka run-around area. Jesus, help me avoid getting back into this expensive hobby again.  :doge

Ṡ͚̘̺͓ͥ̈͑ͪ́͊́͟uͪͮͫ̿͏̧͎̖̺b̢͈̫̼͚̲̻̩̥̈́̇͛̏́͜m̞̬͆̈̇̊͠i̍̅͗ͯͨ̑͏̡̘̙͎͈͍̩͔ͅtͪͦ̌̆͏̫͉̺̬̹̟͞ ̧̝̱̞̤̤̫͚̏̆̈́̃̔̈͌͟

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 01:59:55 AM »
Vermintide is on sale for like $12 on PSN. I picked it up and it’s definitrly scratching that Left 4 Dead itch. I always preferred the 40K universe more (I enjoyed that cancelled MMO of regular Warhammer that got cancelled though) but from everything I’ve seen about the Left 4 Dead-like 40K game, it’s garbage and super janky. Vermintide is pretty cool though and I didn’t know I wanted a leveling system, multiple classes, or loot in my Left 4 Dead until now.

You owe me US$12.

I mean, not really, but holy fucking shit is this game a buggy slog. It crashed out of the tutorial to the XMB twice. I'm going to try playing Private matches with bots. That worked for the first mission.

There sure are a lot of Skaven onscreen.

warcock

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 02:51:57 AM »
https://goo.gl/images/CE6YmK

The emperor of all mankind. Demonstrated psychic abilities by mind controlling half of humanity. Feeling sorry for the orcs in the east for what is about to come.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 02:57:49 AM »
https://goo.gl/images/CE6YmK

The emperor of all mankind. Demonstrated psychic abilities by mind controlling half of humanity. Feeling sorry for the orcs in the east for what is about to come.

HERESY!

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 01:44:13 AM »
It came out in 2018 but I'm finally reading the latest Ciaphas Cain book.

With the caveat that it's been awhile since I read one: I've got to say that this one is particularly disappointing; I know that part of the "charm" to the series is that it's metafictive and uses the writing of characters who are not great at writing to accomplish that, but that stylistic choice feels overbearing in this entry. The footnoting also seems unusually excessive (I think I'm on the 25th one and it's only chapter 3) and the "I'm an aging commissar" bits fall a little flat after Cain's Last Stand.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 01:54:37 AM »
I prefer D&D  :hmph

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 12:50:03 AM »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2019, 01:30:32 AM »
Eisenhorn is getting adapted to television. :wow

https://deadline.com/2019/07/frank-spotnitz-warhammer-40000-games-workshop-1202647623/

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pontius Glaw's mechanical body built by Magos Bure on the moving screen. :lawd

Dat sad boy ending doe. :goty2

[close]
[close]

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 01:40:18 AM »
Eisenhorn is getting adapted to television. :wow

https://deadline.com/2019/07/frank-spotnitz-warhammer-40000-games-workshop-1202647623/

Pontius Glaw's mechanical body built by Magos Bure on the moving screen. :lawd

Dat sad boy ending doe. :goty2

[close]
[close]

Exciting, Games Workshop has been on a tear lately. Financials have been on a strong upswing over the past few years, so it's fitting they continue their expansion.
Thank god it isn't an Ultramarines thing.

kingv

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2019, 08:07:37 AM »
I’ve started playing kill team a few months ago.

Pretty cool game. Though I keep buying kits to plus up my kill team and have almost 1000 pts of space marines now

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2019, 05:49:12 PM »
I’ve started playing kill team a few months ago.

Pretty cool game. Though I keep buying kits to plus up my kill team and have almost 1000 pts of space marines now

Working as intended then

kingv

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 02:09:18 AM »
Yes, I realized that at some point.

I’m now thinking about whether I should *invest* in building out a full army or into the new skirmish game coming out based on AOS.

Sort of thinking about the skirmish game, as I like that size for a match.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 02:13:10 AM »
Yes, I realized that at some point.

I’m now thinking about whether I should *invest* in building out a full army or into the new skirmish game coming out based on AOS.

Sort of thinking about the skirmish game, as I like that size for a match.

Warcry looks to meet a similar role.
Going zero-2k in army building is a point of intimidation for starting.

The warbands for it really show how far they've come in terms of design.

kingv

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 06:38:07 AM »
I’m not super familiar with AOS overall, but am I right thst the initial chaos war bands don’t fit into the existing rules currently? I don’t think I’ve seen any of those models on the shelf.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2019, 02:24:02 PM »
They'll throw out the requisite sheets to run them in regular games too. They're new so you wouldn't have seen them around yet.

Merch

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2019, 06:25:01 PM »
I got the smallest of the Age of Sigmar boxes to try out painting. I’m kind of struggling with where to go next if I were to make an actual army, and even which game to get into.

Kara

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2019, 07:01:49 PM »
Games Workshop is pretty invested in Age of Sigmar taking off, but Warhammer Fantasy never quite hit the same success 40K did (hence the reboot). I guess the biggest concern with that game is that the factions are very... Balkanized? and that makes it look like a recipe for factions getting Squatted to me. If you stick with something they're invested in (e.g. Seraphon, Sigmarines, Chaos) you should be OK on that.

@ kingv - Saw you were exposing your daughter to Kill Team in the Dungeons & Dragons thread (iirc). Don't have a lot of practical advice there but I got into the hobby as a kid via the streamlined large scale battle boardgames like Battle Masters. My first proper 40K fight was relatively small, though. The question I have about the tactical games now is are they just 40K with fewer units (good) or pandering to Necromunda dorks (good too, but maybe not for kids).

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2019, 07:28:58 PM »
The disparate microfactions are being cleaned up, they've pivoted design philosophy considerably from launch.

Muck around a bit with Warcry or one of the smaller scale game schemes (Skirmish, Path to Glory). Or just drop by a games store, check things out, and decide what you care about

kingv

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2019, 08:24:38 PM »
Games Workshop is pretty invested in Age of Sigmar taking off, but Warhammer Fantasy never quite hit the same success 40K did (hence the reboot). I guess the biggest concern with that game is that the factions are very... Balkanized? and that makes it look like a recipe for factions getting Squatted to me. If you stick with something they're invested in (e.g. Seraphon, Sigmarines, Chaos) you should be OK on that.

@ kingv - Saw you were exposing your daughter to Kill Team in the Dungeons & Dragons thread (iirc). Don't have a lot of practical advice there but I got into the hobby as a kid via the streamlined large scale battle boardgames like Battle Masters. My first proper 40K fight was relatively small, though. The question I have about the tactical games now is are they just 40K with fewer units (good) or pandering to Necromunda dorks (good too, but maybe not for kids).

I’m not really familiar with how necromancy actually plays, so can’t compare kill team to it easily.

I also don’t pay full 40k.... however, I have some familiarity with the rules (I.e. I own the rule book and have talked to people that play it).

With this things in mind, from what I can tell, killteam was a is somewhat similar to the full fat Warhammer rules, but brought down to an individual unit level.  Charge rules are basically the same, the phases of the round are basically the same, how you resolve hits are basically the same, and unit costs are basically the same.

My biggest criticism of Kill Team is that it plays somewhat slowly. Sometimes it feels like you roll
20 dice to determine that nothing happened. If I were to design it from scratch I would streamline the hit/wound/save/injury dynamic.

Other problem is that a lot of people get confused with how the rules work. This is drawn from the way the the rules are written for shooting. The rules are written so that if you shoot 4 times, each shot is resolved individually but everybody rolls 4 dice at a time because it would take too long. Then there is a mechanic to reroll dice, and it can be very confusing for people to understand when you reroll one die vs when you reroll all of them. The injury roll, for example, is one roll even when it is 3 dice so you would reroll all 3, but the roll to hit is 3 individual rolls that you are rolling at once to save time.

Other problem is dealing with people that are super annoying about the obscurity rules.

I wouldn’t really say it’s “for kids” when I play with my kid, I basically trim it to move and shoot and streamline the modes so there aren’t many options.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2019, 08:49:42 PM »
Glad this thread exists. I've read the eisenhorn series. What would be a good book to reintroduce myself to 40k?
que

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2019, 09:09:15 PM »
If you haven't read the Ravenor series (the follow-up to Eisenhorn) I'd highly recommend those.

First an Only is really good (also by Dan Abnett) - more grounded. Follows the Imperial Guard.

Talon of Horus/Black Legion - really effective at telling a fleshed out story with 3 dimensional characters from the Chaos perspective.
___

Kara

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2019, 09:12:08 PM »
Glad this thread exists. I've read the eisenhorn series. What would be a good book to reintroduce myself to 40k?

If you want one book, probably Talon of Horus. It's a Chaos Space Marine story though, fair warning.

If you liked Eisenhorn there's a sequel series about Ravenor (his Interrogator who got mutilated in the parade). It's close to the spirit of the Eisenhorn series but also fucking weird too.

If you want series there's a couple I could think of.

e: lol, great minds think alike.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2019, 09:14:52 PM »
Ravenor is great if only because the main protagonist is a mini Zamboni machine
___

kingv

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2019, 09:45:59 PM »
I might have to check out Eisenhorn.

I’ve read the first few hours heresy and am reading talons of Horus now.

I like the black Library but you can sort of feel the limits of the stories because they have to fit into the preexisting lore so it’s hard for me to read too many too quickly.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2019, 01:47:25 PM »
lots of books to pick from
the Heresy series is the biggest and probably most popular

kingv

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2019, 09:10:50 PM »
Ended up picking up the warcry starter set. Might pick up another faction or two if I end up liking it.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

kingv

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2019, 09:37:54 AM »
Kevin Rountree beloved by all.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2019, 02:41:04 AM »
also, make sure you value the actual hobbying aspect (build and paint)

kingv

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2019, 02:25:16 PM »
If you don’t like the hobby part, imo Warhammer is not worth getting into. The kits are too expensive for it to be a boring chore for you.

kingv

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2019, 09:14:43 PM »
Anyone else test out some warcry yet?

I played a game or two at my Local shop, and here are my thoughts.

Pros:
-relatively short games, so nice if you don’t have time for something longer
- I like the streamlined mechanics. The initiative roll is a good change of pace, and I like the streamlined attack mechanics. In kill team you roll to hit, then roll to wound, then roll to see if you save, then roll to see the outcome of the injury. A lot of times you roll like 10 dice just to find out nothing happened. In this you just roll to hit and then deal out the damage.
- easier to prep for in some ways. There are less options for loadouts, so it’s more straightforward
- less rules to keep track of, and this probably the most straightforward set of rules I’ve seen from games workshop. A lot of times there is ambiguous language that makes it hard to understand how a rule is supposed to work. Not really so here. They have made things like line of sight really straight forward. One of the worst things in kill team is arguing with “that guy” about whether or not a mode is visible or obscured. They set this up in a way where those types of arguments don’t really occur.
- new warbands look cool.
- starter set is a good value. The box is heavy as hell and comes with a ton of plastic.

Cons:
- less options means a simpler meta. I feel like the game might get sort of stale as a result.
- if you aren’t already a Sigmar player, I feel  the premade  Warbands are the only ones that make sense to invest in. The thin equipment options make it so you really would want to buy as $50 box of models to get one model. Like in kill team, it does make some sense (and I have done it!) to buy a box of models to get different load out options for your command roster even if you only plan on playing one at a time. I don’t think it would here. The models are too samey  in performance.
- the runes seem like they were added to simplify away from keywords, but there’s too many of them and they all look the same. Would rather just have keywords.
- meta seems simple and I fear there will be obviously best and worst warbands with no hard counters.

Overall, the game is pretty good but definitely very “beer and pretzels”. Imo, it won’t replace your deeper strategic options but might be good as a change of pace. I’m kind of curious what kind of stuff they will do to expand it over time.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2019, 09:34:00 PM »
Not yet, but yeah, fills a similar niche as Killteam for their other system.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2019, 03:43:15 AM »
___

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2019, 03:10:48 PM »
me on the left

kingv

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2019, 03:37:44 PM »
As a primaris I feel like I’m not represented here.

Merch

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2019, 07:14:35 PM »

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2019, 08:21:46 PM »
probably older than me

kingv

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2019, 08:14:52 AM »
I traded my warcry starter set for Shadowspear the other day.

I’m also thinking about actually trying to paint my army in a consistent way from this point forward. I’m thinking crimson fists, because they look cool, but they don’t have their own codex supplement.

I think the successor chapters can use their parent chapters rules apart from a few things though (like the chapter master). So they could use imperial fists.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2019, 07:13:22 PM »
it'll be rolled up in the IF Supplement book

kingv

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2019, 12:57:26 AM »
There are so many special rules in the supplements it feels like you might be missing out on a lot by rolling with st least a successor chapter.

I considered rolling my army up as ultramarines, but didn’t want o go with what seems to be like the default choice for everybody.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2019, 03:08:28 PM »
it really is as vanilla a starting point as you can get

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2019, 01:50:11 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
probably older than me

https://bluerememberedtrolls.home.blog/2018/08/04/bloodbath-at-orcs-drift/
"If you are reading this, you likely know all about the thing anyway, but just in case:- Originally released in 1985, Bloodbath at Orc’s Drift was a reasonably priced boxed supplement for Warhammer 2nd edition, coming in at a smidgen under 6 GBP."

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2019, 02:00:27 PM »
OK, wait. after this thread and talking to some friends it came out that I should read heresy of Horus, and then I looked it up and it's 54 books? WTF? OK, Do i need to read anything before the Talon of Horus?
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2019, 11:08:49 PM »
OK, wait. after this thread and talking to some friends it came out that I should read heresy of Horus, and then I looked it up and it's 54 books? WTF? OK, Do i need to read anything before the Talon of Horus?

GW lore is all just grimdark fluff. Just read what you want, follow the authors who get your motor going.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2019, 12:18:02 AM »

not every bit is vital, take your pick

kingv

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2019, 09:33:54 AM »
I like black library, but have to take it in doses. Warhammer lore is ultimately limited by what it is. You pretty much know where the story is going and they have to be extremely careful about adding new elements lest they are inconsistent with later facts in the timeline.

Merch

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2019, 04:10:19 PM »
I’ve been building up armys of stormcasts and ghosts.