Author Topic: Smartphone 2017 : bow to your master  (Read 6775 times)

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
Re: Smartphone 2017 : bow to your master
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2017, 09:48:03 AM »
Is anyone here using tempered glass screen protectors?

Does it help preventing scratches or fissures if dropping? And more importantly, can you still use the touchscreen as before?

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2017, 09:51:58 AM »

Does it help preventing scratches or fissures if dropping? And more importantly, can you still use the touchscreen as before?

Yes and Yes. It's a good investment imo. It guards against scratching by getting scratched instead of the phone screen. The bad part is when it cracks, it tends to fall apart pretty quickly. Most phone carrier stores that sell them will apply it for you.
©ZH

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2017, 10:01:33 AM »

Yes and Yes. It's a good investment imo. It guards against scratching by getting scratched instead of the phone screen. The bad part is when it cracks, it tends to fall apart pretty quickly. Most phone carrier stores that sell them will apply it for you.

Good to know, thx. I need my display repaired (screen still works but I'm too neurotic to put up with the ugly fissures) so I'll ask the repair guys if they can apply one of these things afterwards.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2017, 09:34:17 AM »
I also have an iPhone 6 and I haven't noticed iOS11 performance issues, with the exception for annoying bugs. Text messages often fail to load the last message.
Maybe I’ll try a scrape-n-restore to be sure.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2017, 09:55:52 PM »
Picked up a Pixel 2 XL. Tired of Apple. So far so good!
rub

Tasty

« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2017, 10:28:25 PM »
I've never been more pleased with a piece of technology. Maybe my Chromecast (for the price.)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2017, 07:36:10 PM »
I've never been more pleased with a piece of technology. Maybe my Chromecast (for the price.)
How does Chromecast handle reasonable-but-imperfect wifi networks now? I recall users really had to have optimized home wifi for it to work, when the hardware premiered.

Tasty

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2017, 10:11:20 PM »
Not sure, but all Chromecasts have ethernet ports, and the Chromecast Ultra even comes with a cable for it.

Never had problems myself, but I get 135 Mbps down.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

Tasty

« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2017, 10:46:37 PM »
Angela's probably the biggest badass turnaround of any char ever  :trumps

thisismyusername

« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2017, 10:50:59 PM »
Speaking of Android: My Moto G4 is having battery issues. I'm not sure how common that is, but since I'm nearly in the end month of my warranty period, I'm going to send it to Motorola. Is there anything I need to do to protect the SD card so when I move my stuff over it's all there (outside of copying it to my harddrive on my PC) post-formatting-by-Android (why the fuck does it need to do that?) and moving things back?

Apparently Fire Emblem Heroes won't load now so I'm probably gonna quickly delete and reinstall that but my data probably won't be there which'll piss me off if true because I didn't link it to a Nintendo account just yet. I was actually going to do that Friday.

Tasty

« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2017, 10:57:46 PM »
:thinking Not sure, I only fuck with Pixels. :trumps

thisismyusername

« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2017, 11:06:38 PM »
Christ, what good are you!? Some Googie super fan you are. ::)

Edit: Saves ate. There goes my 6 teams of 20-40 leveled. Fuuuuuuck.

On the bright side, I can just reroll for a five star until I get one and then work my way back up I guess. :trumps
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:42:05 AM by thisismyusername »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2019, 06:34:09 AM »
Oh how things change. I have currently a OnePlus 5T, no SD slot, arguably a large phone, took Bluetooth headphones (and my next phone will have no jack I suppose), I sold out for convenience and haven't had much to complain about really. Except the battery life starting to fatigue, of course...

I'm thinking of changing it. OnePlus is now carried by my operator but I'd like to stay out of their scheme. And their prices ballooned up to the point it's only a short rebate short of the bigger flagships now... I'm currently hesitating between a Samsung Note if I go all out (the whole pen thing is very enticing, a shame there's no alternative) or more realistically a Xiaomi M9T (Plain or Pro) which is basically the new "discount flagship" at 350-450€. They opened stores over here so that's a plus too.

Any other recommendations ?
ὕβρις

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2019, 07:33:53 AM »
http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=46462.msg2666241#msg2666241

I said 2 months ago that if my S7 Edge ever broke i'd buy another one. It did, and I did buy another one. I think we've reached the point where there's no point in upgrading your phone once it's past a certain generation. Upgrades are marginal and offer very little added convenience or entertainment value. Save your money so that if there's ever some new feature or technology added that you can't live without, you can afford it because you didn't drop $1000 on a new phone every 2 years like a Day 1 chump

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2019, 07:54:57 AM »
I've looked at older Samsung flagships but the price they force (Samsung or the big retailers) on S9 and S8 still is pretty insane though I guess their reason to do so is transparent. Not too big on chasing deals on the Internet to be honest.
ὕβρις