Author Topic: Anyone here just don't like games anymore?  (Read 8381 times)

Himu

Anyone here just don't like games anymore?
« on: August 16, 2017, 03:14:27 AM »
Been struggling with this for years.

I've accepted I don't like games for the most part anymore but there's exceptions. I love fighting games. They're the main genre I play now and honestly I'd be fine if I never bought a new game any other genre the rest of my life. Besides that, I really like other games that are mentally stimulating. Stuff like Civilization which Benji gifted me for free the other week (thanks Benji!). Irl I've also gotten into chess so that probably factors.

But I keep buying and trying and hating. I didn't even know persona 5 was coming when it did. I didn't even have a pre order because games aren't on blip anymore. I try it as an SMT fan and I hated it. Tales of Zestiria, hated it. Saints Row IV, hated it. Samurai Warriors 4, hated it. Just got Sonic Mania, hate that too. This problem has been plaguing me for years. Surprisingly I liked FFXV. I like the DQ remakes. Almost any non-fighting game that I like these days is on Nintendo hardware and I don't know why. Jrpgs, the genre used to be my main genre is now poop to me unless it's old.

The weird thing is this mostly only happens with anything new. Ive been playing Paper Mario for the first time. Love it.

I'm really struggling with the habit of buying games and ending up hating them and repeating the cycle. Thankfully it's rare that I ever give a non-fighter the opportunity of potentially wasting my time. I have played a bit of Life Is Strange and I really like what I've played.

TLDR: games are shit except fighting games, strategy games, and games made before 2010. Help.
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Anyone here just don't like games anymore?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 03:56:51 AM »
you just listed a bunch of games you do like

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 04:47:44 AM »
Nah I do like them, but I find myself just more picky than before since I don't have as much time to play as I used to.

Just sounds like you know what you like, and what you don't like.

archnemesis

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 05:20:24 AM »
Video games are more awesome than ever. My only issue with them is my lack of time.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 06:19:22 AM »
I lack the time but truly I struggle keeping attention with any game I tried in the last few years, even titles I enjoyed. Turn based strategy games are the only ones not to have bored me and still I only play them very infrequently.
ὕβρις

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 06:24:39 AM »
I like what I like, and I know what I like. I don't feel the need to play what I know I don't like anymore.

So, I basically play ARPGs, some retro CRPGs, and the occasional new weebtastic JRPG. And new mainline Zeldas that don't look they're gonna suck.
yar

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 07:19:33 AM »
I remember when you stopped playing fighting games and were just playing one of the Final Fantasy games for a while there.  Was it XIV?  This was last year.  And then you were insanely, overly-hyped and positive for the Switch before you left this forum for a while.  You've come back and have been acting the opposite of that.

If you're happy playing fighting games...stick with fighting games.  Nothing wrong with that.  I know plenty of people who don't play anything else or much else besides them.  If I weren't somewhat of a collector, I'd probably just go digital and wouldn't be getting more than mostly fighting games, beat-em-ups, and maybe an FPS or two myself.

What I just can't seem to get into anymore are most of the so-called "AAA" games.  To long and drawn out for my liking.  Uncharted 4 was a recent exception (and I look forward to Chloe Raider next week).  I'd rather play arcade and arcade-style games.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:07:34 AM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 07:25:43 AM »
Video games are more awesome than ever. My only issue with them is my lack of time.

Yeah.  And as an old man of 36, I'm also just tired some afternoons/evenings to want to play games whereas in my teens and 20s I could stay up all night playing that stuff.
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 07:39:18 AM »

Yeah.  And as an old man of 36, I'm also just tired some afternoons/evenings to want to play games whereas in my teens and 20s I could stay up all night playing that stuff.

lmao this. i don't even have kids but i still need afternoon naps that keep me from gaming. and other shit too, I guess.
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 07:44:15 AM »
Can I have your games you wont be playing?
fat

Tasty

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 11:07:43 AM »
I don't have enough time or interest to play games outside of series I know I already like, so my tastes these days are kinda stale. It is what it is. :yeshrug

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 11:47:21 AM »
Sometimes I feel like playing vidyas and sometimes I don't, I just go with the flow and play whatever feels right.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 11:51:28 AM »
I'm playing a bunch of Saturn JRPGs in a language I can't understand, so clearly I'm not the person to be asking about this issue.
dog

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 12:03:14 PM »
I was gonna come in here and be like I only fuck with so and so but really i still love games my problem is i keep siding with games that have tiny communities (titanfall 2...lawbreakers).

Himu

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 12:11:37 PM »
you just listed a bunch of games you do like

My problem is that any time I branch out of that I hate games. Another thing is that I have expectations I might like something because it's something I would have liked maybe ten years ago and I get it out of habit and think it sucks.

I remember when you stopped playing fighting games and were just playing one of the Final Fantasy games for a while there.  Was it XIV?  This was last year.  And then you were insanely, overly-hyped and positive for the Switch before you left this forum for a while.  You've come back and have been acting the opposite of that.

If you're happy playing fighting games...stick with fighting games.  Nothing wrong with that.  I know plenty of people who don't play anything else or much else besides them.  If I weren't somewhat of a collector, I'd probably just go digital and wouldn't be getting more than mostly fighting games, beat-em-ups, and maybe an FPS or two myself.

What I just can't seem to get into anymore are most of the so-called "AAA" games.  To long and drawn out for my liking.  Uncharted 4 was a recent exception (and I look forward to Chloe Raider next week).  I'd rather play arcade and arcade-style games.

I'm very positive for Switch. I don't have one yet though. I never really stopped playing fighters. You just assumed I guess.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 12:21:15 PM »
Yeah absolutely, childish group of shut ins littered with MRAs and fuccbois

Fake edit: Oh, I thought you said gamers

Himu

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 12:23:55 PM »
Yeah absolutely, childish group of shut ins littered with MRAs and fuccbois

Fake edit: Oh, I thought you said gamers

Well that too haha
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 01:09:16 PM »
Here's the thing: it seems like you're just reconciling yourself from being a GAMER to just someone that enjoys some games.

Gaming as a hobby is booty. I mean, I guess if you're demi, whatever, sure. But I prefer to just be a chill dude that enjoys some games at this point in my life. Who wants to keep up with fucking EVERYTHING? Not me. Ain't nobody got time for that. Play what you enjoy and let that be enough. Every time I've branched out and played shit I wasn't crazy about in the past 5 or so years (BioShock Infinite, Evil Within) I felt the same and was like, "ugh, games, man." But if you just stick with what you enjoy it's ok. It should be a hobby and not a way of life is what I guess I'm trying to say.
yar

Himu

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 01:16:44 PM »
Yeah I don't identify as a gamer anymore.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 01:19:22 PM »
Another problem is I don't like games I would have liked before.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 01:29:18 PM »
I'm very positive for Switch. I don't have one yet though.

You may very well end up finding a lot to like whenever you get one.  Both with the games like BoTW, Mario Kart, ARMS, Splatoon, etc. and also in the stripped-down user-interface.  There's actually something kind of nice about being disconnected from all the online info that pops up on PSN, XBL, and the like and just getting right into the games.  Sure it sucks when you want to do some matchmaking with friends, but there's ways around it.

I never really stopped playing fighters. You just assumed I guess.

You posted here that you were done with fighters because you had no time or whatever it was.   :doge
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 01:31:05 PM »
It should be a hobby and not a way of life is what I guess I'm trying to say.

I thought that was how everyone here already looked at it?  This isn't some shithole like GAF.  It's a different kind of shithole!
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 01:31:17 PM »
I took a break from fighters. I didn't quit them. Either way...:yeshrug
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 01:39:00 PM »
Reminds me of some folks at the local FGC here. They make jokes about "I don't play video games, I play Street Fighter". Nothing wrong with that, imo.

Himu

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 01:43:49 PM »
Reminds me of some folks at the local FGC here. They make jokes about "I don't play video games, I play Street Fighter". Nothing wrong with that, imo.

So they only play fighting games? They aren't ever tempted to try soemthing else out; getting burned in the process?
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 01:45:59 PM »

I'd try to find the post, but beats me if you posted it under this account or your alt. 

But I did find this...

I haven't played the Witcher 3. I'm slowly coming out of being a lapsed game fan the last three years and catching up on games I've missed. I have the goty edition for ps4 tho. TBH this year was the best year for games for me in a long time. Nice to actually enjoy games again. Last generation sucked but I don't wanna get into that here lol.

So what happened in the last eight months?  Maybe you just need a break from games for a while.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 01:47:36 PM »
It's a mix, but I'd say there's more people here that just play fighters, or just fighters and Overwatch. Until Tekken hit, OW almost killed the FGC here. :lol A lot used to just play Capcom games but these days that doesn't equate to much. I mix it up with games here and there but lately its just been Splatoon and Tekken, heh.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 01:47:42 PM »

I wish I could do this.  Would save a hell of a lot of money.  :)
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 01:50:38 PM »
Working on a budget for myself is a big part of the reason my game purchases have dropped overall. Nice to have some more cash saved though I'll still buy most Nintendo releases (not ARMS :lol) day one

Also helps that game prices drop like a rock on X1 and Steam now. Got MVCi for like $28 on preorder for PC :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:56:03 PM by nachobro »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2017, 02:03:55 PM »
Gaming hasn't turned to shit.

there's still a million musicians that know what they're doing, great films, television shows, manga (one piece is as good as ever), etc etc

You can say the same thing about video games.  There's plenty of good stuff being released out there.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 02:24:09 PM »

I'd try to find the post, but beats me if you posted it under this account or your alt. 

But I did find this...

I haven't played the Witcher 3. I'm slowly coming out of being a lapsed game fan the last three years and catching up on games I've missed. I have the goty edition for ps4 tho. TBH this year was the best year for games for me in a long time. Nice to actually enjoy games again. Last generation sucked but I don't wanna get into that here lol.

So what happened in the last eight months?  Maybe you just need a break from games for a while.

Nah. It's me trying to be positive. I didn't buy a game at retail for about two years until I randomly picked up Ultra SFIV on a whim. I legitimately quit games. I took up other hobbies in its place. Got into fitness and martial arts. Games used to be my main hobby. I have over 100 ps2 games. But I'm not that person anymore. Combined with transition and I just drifted away from games naturally because I no longer needed an outlet.

I tried to be positive about games earlier but I was wrong. After Persona 5 I realized that I still don't like anything besides fighters and platformers and some strategy games.

A break will do nothing. It'll be the same result.

I've been struggling with the fact that games aren't my thing anymore. I know it seems obvious and yeah I got to get used to it, but I played games for over 25 years and the adjustment from - as Creepy says - gamer to person who plays games has been really rough for me.

Also, I have to admit. I don't want to play another time sink rpg. Been there, played that:
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2017, 02:46:07 PM »
there's more games being released around the world by far than ever before. i can't think of a single genre that hasn't had some games released in the last few years. if you're still mad that big studios aren't making the same games they were 20 years ago then I dunno what to tell you.

edit: posted this late so it wasn't directed at you himu
pcp

Himu

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 02:49:22 PM »
Nvm
IYKYK

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2017, 02:54:55 PM »
I'm at a point in my life where I need a game to be easy to put down after 10 or 30 minutes.

Gone are the days of dumping hours of my life into competitive multiplayer, mmorpgs, and super grindy loot games.

If I could go back in time I would tell my younger self to put down Halo, CoD, WoW, etc. and focus on my social skills and my art ability since I'm making up for that lost time now.  :'(

Himu

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2017, 03:06:52 PM »
I actually play competitive multiplayer. I used to be all about single player. Now I make friends, go to events, play with people irl via competitive fg scene. You can spend an hour playing a fighting game and learn something to improve on. I really like that it can be as time consuming as you want to make it. It's highly social a doesn't feel like a waste of time like RPGs (my previous go to) tend to feel like now.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2017, 03:16:14 PM »
i like multiplayer and enemies games now more than ever bc it's really easy to pop in, have fun, and quit for however long I feel like.

endless not enemies jesus fucking christ i hate swype
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:25:46 PM by Positive Touch »
pcp

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2017, 03:21:10 PM »
I've never been that good at multiplayer and I don't need the added stress of losing/letting my team down  in my life.  :doge

edit: fighting games frustrate the hell out of me, too.  :doge

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2017, 03:26:51 PM »
man fuck my team. as long as its not one of those durations where I can't stay alive for more than 10 seconds I'm good. plus trolling asshole teammates is one of life's greatest pleasures. 
pcp

Himu

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2017, 03:27:24 PM »
i like multiplayer and enemies games now more than ever bc it's really easy to pop in, have fun, and quit for however long I feel like.

Yup
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »
I get that "pick up and play for however long I like" fix from D3. I can run a couple rifts or cat ass if I want.

But always solo. Because fuck other human beings.
yar

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2017, 03:48:52 PM »
The older I got, the more my tastes narrowed.

I can appreciate the work that goes into a wide variety of games, but what I actually want to play is pretty narrow compared to when I was younger.

For example I use to LOVE fighting games when I younger. I have zero interest in the genre now. Just don't have the time or interest to dedicate to those games. It's not like the games changed. I changed.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2017, 03:50:20 PM »
It's a mix, but I'd say there's more people here that just play fighters, or just fighters and Overwatch. Until Tekken hit, OW almost killed the FGC here. :lol A lot used to just play Capcom games but these days that doesn't equate to much. I mix it up with games here and there but lately its just been Splatoon and Tekken, heh.

This is what happened to me and a close friend after SFV came out. Loved SF4, SF5 not for us, picked up Overwatch and only played that.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2017, 05:34:41 PM »
The older I got, the more my tastes narrowed.

I can appreciate the work that goes into a wide variety of games, but what I actually want to play is pretty narrow compared to when I was younger.

For example I use to LOVE fighting games when I younger. I have zero interest in the genre now. Just don't have the time or interest to dedicate to those games. It's not like the games changed. I changed.

Makes sense but makes me sad. Oh well. :(
IYKYK

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2017, 07:41:00 PM »
For me it is a cycle. I'll be like "I'm done with gaming." Then some game comes out and I try it on a lark and I get reminded why I play games in the first place.

"ehhh...I think I'm done with gaming in general."
<plays Wipeout HD>
"Oooh, this is why I play games."
<plays Valkyria Chronicles>
<plays Doom>

I've gone through this cycle enough times to know it's just a few games away from restarting.
que

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2017, 08:12:57 PM »
lol gamershame

just fucking get over it and have some fun
pcp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »
I'm playing a bunch of Saturn JRPGs in a language I can't understand, so clearly I'm not the person to be asking about this issue.

Sounds like my typical Friday night.

Honestly, I had a time last gen when I was starting to get fed up with gaming, due to the whole 'dudebro era' and the fact so few of the games I like were getting made anymore (or when they actually did get made, they weren't that great). But between getting involved with a group of people who are big into classic gaming and obscure gaming hardware, amassing a massive retro gaming backlog, and a lot of fantastic new games in my favorite genres getting released, I feel more in love with games than I've been in a long while. Hell, I spent last weekend at a retro gaming convention and had an absolute blast, not to mention bought a ridiculous amount of shit I'm dying to get to (I posted in 'random gaming talk' with what I got). Only problem is that there are so many games both new and old that I want to play through, and my time feels increasingly limited.

I'll admit that my tastes are more or less set in stone, and I still prefer the exact same genres I did in the mid 90's (RPG, 2D action/platormer, shmup, fighting). The only genres I've added since then have been rhythm and VN. Oh, and I've gotten a bit more into mechanical pinball due to my friends being big affectionados. And while in the past I would be more willing to go out of my comfort zone, nowadays there is so much good shit in my favorite genres, I'd rather stick to that.
^_^

Rahxephon91

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2017, 12:49:25 AM »
Not really. There's been a lot of good games. Too me this feels like the PS2 generation, only I'm old enough to actually afford the shit.

There's been a lot of cool stuff and a lot of it appeals to my sensibilities.

Himu

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2017, 01:17:30 AM »
I can recognize there's good games these days. Certainly better than last gen. I just don't have fun with them or don't want to play them.

Played two hours of fgs tonight and I just can't get enough of the genre and the speed chess. I love them. After playing Sonic it just feels so good.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2017, 09:29:35 AM »
Have you played Nier: Automata? That game was dope af.
©@©™

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2017, 09:56:10 AM »
Nope, games are still awesome. If there is a dip in quality for new releases, I play older stuff.

:idont

I mean, pick up a new hobby if you've grown dispassionate about your old one. This doesn't need to be some existential crisis, just try something new. I'm going to a pottery class this weekend, should be fun? Or it will be boring as fuck and I'll never do it again but it is something different from my usual routine.

Himu

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2017, 10:02:36 AM »
Have you played Nier: Automata? That game was dope af.

Nope. Played the demo and it was really bad though.

Nope, games are still awesome. If there is a dip in quality for new releases, I play older stuff.

:idont

I mean, pick up a new hobby if you've grown dispassionate about your old one. This doesn't need to be some existential crisis, just try something new. I'm going to a pottery class this weekend, should be fun? Or it will be boring as fuck and I'll never do it again but it is something different from my usual routine.

I already have other hobbies. It isn't an existential crisis either.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2017, 10:20:48 AM »
You makin it seem like one

Go take a walk in the park
fat

Himu

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2017, 10:27:52 AM »
Nier Automata's demo combined with Persona 5 made come to the conclusion that this generation is definitely like the ps2 era but with none of the gameplay substance. Persons 5 has the pacing of a dying turtle. "Please go to bed. You're not allowed to make choices." Nier Automata I literally sat there holding the shoot button during a boss without moving. It was an hp sink, I occasionally did some move that let me not get hit, then resorted to shooting again. Maybe the full game is better.

Man, I'd really like a good arcade racer. Shame Ridge Racer is dead. "Every genre has had good games" my ass. lol I might pick up Dirt Rally later. And if you want a single player action game with substance, lol good luck. Hope you like Bayo (I don't). RIP Ninja Gaiden.

I am full on Tsubaki. I should see what he's up to these days.
IYKYK

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »
I already have other hobbies. It isn't an existential crisis either.
Based on your posts it sure sounds like you wish you could have that same passion for games that you used to. You want to have those same feelings again for something. I didn't insinuate you didn't have other hobbies, just that it doesn't sound like gaming as a hobby can/will fill the same space in your life.

If you're at the point where you're hate-playing Sonic Mania just so you can discuss how much you dislike it, that time would probably be better spent on something new yeah?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2017, 11:12:08 AM »
I can recognize there's good games these days. Certainly better than last gen. I just don't have fun with them or don't want to play them.

Played two hours of fgs tonight and I just can't get enough of the genre and the speed chess. I love them. After playing Sonic it just feels so good.

Seems like you still have plenty of passion for games.  Forget about the other stuff and play fighters.  I don't see what the problem is...your interests have changed is all.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2017, 11:38:29 AM »
I'm trying to find a connection to make enjoying games easier. Before, I decided to stick to fighters, platformers, and RPGs. RPGs are a wash, though. I don't think there's anything that genre could offer me anymore. So I'll have to scratch it out.

So right now it comes down to:

- Competitive fighting game play - tournaments and increasing skill make playing other genres kind of a waste of my time literally because I could have been using my game time to play a fighting game and learn something new to work on.

- Nintendo games. Nintendo is one of the few developers these days that makes games that aren't shallow. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, New Super Mario Bros U;etc. look like they have substance going for them. Nintendo also makes the best platformers so I get my platformer quota whenever I get the craving.

- Occasional strategy game, usually on PC. I have X-Com: Enemy Unknown on Steam but haven't played it.

- Old games. Been really enjoying Paper Mario. Even if it's not much in the way of substance or depth, it's a fun game with solid pacing, doesn't overstay its welcome, and doesn't waste my fucking time like a modern game with endless cutscenes and hand holding.

If you have suggestions of games that have substance and aren't flashy and terrible. I guess I could take suggestions. When I say substance, I don't only mean gameplay. I like Life Is Strange a lot and its gameplay is a fucking rail road. But it has story-depth going for it and is a high end experimental concept. That's up my alley.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2017, 11:44:07 AM »
If you're at the point where you're hate-playing Sonic Mania just so you can discuss how much you dislike it, that time would probably be better spent on something new yeah?

I didn't waste my 20 dollars literally just to say Sonic is shit - although, let's be honest, it is. I got it because Sonic The Hedgehog was the first game I ever owned. I have a long relationship with that furry blue fuck. It was my most played series in the 16-bit era that wasn't Street Fighter. They were my favorite games as a kid and people said the new one was good. People said to give it a try, so I did. I mean, maybe there's a possibility that old Genesis Sonic's aren't my thing anymore because I know the games like I know my hand? So I decided to give it an honest chance, and see if my gut was wrong. Nope. I still hate it.

I should be following my gut more often.
IYKYK

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2017, 11:49:07 AM »
I explained how things worked for me the other night, My Queen, I'm just the pattern I've established out there for the others.

Fall to Spring: Big Gaming Season for me. I play all the high profile games and generally keep playing until I feel burnout. This year, that happened in April with P5.

Spring to Fall: If I play much of anything, it's portable. Switch came out at the right time this year and probably made me play more than usual this year. If (and a big if) I play a console game in this period, it's generally something I can play in satisfying bit-sized chunks since I won't be playing every day.

I feel like there aren't many big games interesting to me this fall, so I'll likely be playing less this year. Uncharted, Yakuza, new Assassin's Creed, Mario, and Mario + Rabbids seem to kinda be it. And I guess Xenoblade if you still believe that is coming out this year.
serge

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2017, 11:52:48 AM »
Oh god, Sonic Mania. I played the first world yesterday and, uh. . .I haven't been following this super closely, but I thought these were all fan-made levels? You could've told me that the first world was Green Hills Zone from the OG Genesis game and I would've believed you. It isn't the actual OG Genesis level, right? It has different bosses. I go to the first part of the second world, and again, if it's new content, it looks exactly like content from the original games? Why? I thought this was going to be new shit made by fans. Did they make them use the old tiles and graphics? Doing so just highlights how shallow the gameplay in Sonic is. They may be new levels, but they feel exactly the same.

In short, Sonic has always been terrible. There just came a point where it became even more terrible.
serge

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2017, 12:08:18 PM »
some of the levels are pulled from old sonic games but expanded on
pcp