Author Topic: Divinity: Original Sin II  (Read 1375 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Divinity: Original Sin II
« on: September 16, 2017, 12:06:44 AM »
This is the crowdfunded sequel to that crowdfunded RPG from a few years ago. I dunno if many people here play it, but it was pretty dang good, easily one of the best games to come out of Kickstarter and it had a level of strategy and environmental manipulation in combat that most old-school turn-based RPGs don't really have. Anyway, the sequels out now and you can play it without having played the first game, so go ahead and buy it now.

Larian's really upped their game here. Production values and presentation are far ahead of the first game [which certainly didn't look bad at all] and the writing it a lot sharper [DOS 1 tended to be a bit too whimsical and verbose in it's writing]. Combat's largely the same, but with an expanded set of skills and abilities. As far as playable characters go, you can pick from several premade characters or make your own, but even if you make your own you can still recruit the various premade characters in your party. They've got a lot more depth than the two custom characters from the first game.
dog

nudemacusers

Re: Divinity: Original Sin II
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 07:42:43 AM »
Still need to finish the first one ... looks awesome.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 12:31:38 PM »
 :bow :bow An entire skill tree just for Summoning now :bow2 :bow2  I like the idea of a Geomancer/Summoner.

The first one had some of the best coop ever. I hope to eventually get a 4 player game going but I might beat it solo first.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 12:21:09 AM »
First one was great but the story seemed to fall off a cliff about 2/3 in. Will get this eventually
itm

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 01:25:41 AM »
9.75 from GameInformer

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/divinity_original_sin_2/b/pc/archive/2017/09/18/a-godly-ascension.aspx

Another GotY candidate in an already dynamite year.

:whew :whoo :checkit

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 11:17:37 AM »
Co-worker told me this one blows the first game away, and I already thought the first game was one of the greatest co-op games ever made. So stoked to dig into this one.
zzzzz

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 12:18:20 AM »
This game is just absolutely consuming my time, already got nearly 30 hours since Friday of last week. I wish I could be playing it even more. Everything about it is just so good, and the combat feels somewhat more balance towards being tough but winnable against opponents of a similar level or just slightly above [the first game felt ridiculously hard at times, even against enemies of the same level]. Quests are so much better, too, with tons of them scattered all around and lots of good loot as reward. Really like what they're doing with the story, it still has some of the whimsy of the first game, especially with the writing, but it's a darker story and more engaging story, especially with the pre-built characters.

One thing that's a bit of a mess is that fire is totally out of control and most battles end with the entire area ablaze. :lol
dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 12:39:05 AM »
Loved the first. Will eventually get around to this one although it may take me a few years.

archie4208

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 06:22:07 AM »
I told myself I wouldn't buy it cause I didn't want to invest 60 hours in an RPG right now.

I went ahead and bought it.  :fbm

I'm enjoying it so far (just started a few quests at Fort Joy).  Controller support is honestly the best feature for me so far.

archie4208

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 09:52:13 AM »
I restarted my game because the geniuses at Larian decided you shouldn't be able to lower the difficulty if you pick tactician.  It took about 2 hours to get where I was from when I bailed my prior game.  Otherwise this is pretty freaking good.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 10:34:53 PM »
If you're having trouble with a particular fight, there's usually something else [or a few other things] that you can do instead to get better equipment and experience to level-up. That's been my experience through 30+ hours, the game gives you a ton of stuff to do [some of which is easy to miss] that can help give you an edge for some of the tougher battles. I'm just playing on the normal difficulty, though, so I don't come across too many battles where I feel like I'm completely outmatched.

And make sure you get somebody with teleport, there are so many uses for that ability. Throw in some teleport pyramids and you can move your party around obstacles in the environment and reach remote treasure spots with ease.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 04:59:16 PM »
Best RPG of 2017 is finally coming to console at the end of this month:

dog

Snoopycat_

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 08:51:41 PM »
I pre-order it so I can get the squirrel dlc and play the first part. I been a fan of Larian since I played Divinity on the 360. It was a budget game but it had a lot going for it. I wish they would remake it, or do another one.