Author Topic: Maybe the real NeoGAF was the friends we made along the way...  (Read 2281242 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Re: NeoGAF Gaming-Side Laff-A-Lympics Megathread - We all like 343 here.
« Reply #900 on: October 02, 2017, 10:49:08 AM »
Please, help me ignore this terrible tragedy: can I get a Bobby update?
serge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #901 on: October 02, 2017, 10:56:53 AM »
©@©™

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

wsippel

« Reply #903 on: October 02, 2017, 11:19:37 AM »
This is bannable, really?!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=250586402&postcount=201

Dunno if it should be bannable, but it's clearly low-effort trolling/ flamebait.

Yeah, 20 bucks is too much. Sells for 5$ at most these days.

So I guess all those "HD Remasters" should be free then? Those are even more low effort ports of even older games after all...

That's just not how business works. Porting a year old game to a completely new platform is time consuming and expensive, especially if it requires touched up assets. Nobody is going to put that kind of effort into a project to pretty much give it away for free. Hell, the material and logistics costs of a physical copy exceed $5. So it's pretty much either this or nothing. "I'd prefer nothing then"? Then don't buy it. I know I won't, I got the PC version for $20, but I'm not going to decide what other people should be able to purchase if they so desire.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #904 on: October 02, 2017, 11:22:07 AM »
So because of some of the people I know, I have a weird glimpse into the world of someone who deals with groups of weirdos commenting and making videos about them every day. In this context it's all very creepy and sexist and they deal with trolls and harassment on a constant basis.

Obviously I'm not necessarily comparing that to the stuff happening here - but it's still weirds me out seeing us just post this dudes twitter posts without comment. To him I bet we look like the same kind of weird creeps and it kinda bothers me a little?

Just my two cents.
nat

benjipwns

« Reply #905 on: October 02, 2017, 11:27:12 AM »
I suppose you're right, we should probably make a separate enthusiast thread like for YUM! Brands.

agrajag

« Reply #906 on: October 02, 2017, 11:48:33 AM »

Dunno if it should be bannable, but it's clearly low-effort trolling/ flamebait.

So I guess all those "HD Remasters" should be free then? Those are even more low effort ports of even older games after all...

That's just not how business works. Porting a year old game to a completely new platform is time consuming and expensive, especially if it requires touched up assets. Nobody is going to put that kind of effort into a project to pretty much give it away for free. Hell, the material and logistics costs of a physical copy exceed $5. So it's pretty much either this or nothing. "I'd prefer nothing then"? Then don't buy it. I know I won't, I got the PC version for $20, but I'm not going to decide what other people should be able to purchase if they so desire.

I bet most people bitching about the price are ones that had no intention to buy it in the first place.

TVC15

serge

jorma

« Reply #908 on: October 02, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »

I bet most people bitching about the price are ones that had no intention to buy it in the first place.

Well they will obviously have no intentions to buy it at that price.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #909 on: October 02, 2017, 12:18:08 PM »
GAF's biggest worry and issue after 60 people were killed and 500 more were injured is that...the shooter isn't being called a terrorist because he's not brown. 

Priorities, brehs  :doge

you're being a little disingenuous. how this story is covered dictates the narrative surrounding it.  framing it has just a rando allows people to put it in the back of their minds, framing it as terrorism gives it weight.

that's not even getting into the societal ramifications of why we don't frame it as terrorism
nat

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #910 on: October 02, 2017, 12:26:22 PM »

Look man, i don't give a crap. I just love to annoy people.

The whole idea of buying games like these on a Nintendo device is just hilarious. Either you only own a Switch or you choose to use it instead of a PC(or PS4 and Xbone) for those games. Anyway, it's some bizarre shit.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 12:32:36 PM by Nabbis »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #911 on: October 02, 2017, 12:43:18 PM »
https://twitter.com/bobbyrobertspdx/status/914867911205908480

Moderated by Bobby Roberts

oxymoron
ˌɒksɪˈmɔːrɒn/
noun
noun: oxymoron; plural noun: oxymorons
a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g. faith unfaithful kept him falsely true ).

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #912 on: October 02, 2017, 12:45:24 PM »
It's pretty telling that when I turned on the TV this morning for the news and heard the host ask, "Is there any history of mental illness?" I was like "Oh, so the shooter was white."
que

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #913 on: October 02, 2017, 01:07:02 PM »
Can you guys agree that you kinda should do something about those moronic gun laws and permits?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #914 on: October 02, 2017, 01:26:23 PM »
Can you guys agree that you kinda should do something about those moronic gun laws and permits?
Not gonna happen.

Bananas

« Reply #915 on: October 02, 2017, 01:28:40 PM »

My point is GAF is more concerned about THE OPTICS than, you know, the biggest mass shooting in American history.
There is a shooting in America every week, you want people to get shocked about it?

benjipwns

« Reply #916 on: October 02, 2017, 01:29:23 PM »
We didn't beat the Nazi's the last time by giving them our guns. Just bullets.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #917 on: October 02, 2017, 01:53:56 PM »

If innocent childen getting gunned down couldn't spark a change, nothing will.

Boredfrom

« Reply #918 on: October 02, 2017, 01:58:04 PM »

To busy in trying to see if calling it terrorism or mental illness will make people and  politicians care either way.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #919 on: October 02, 2017, 02:03:23 PM »
hey guys what have I missed

benjipwns

« Reply #920 on: October 02, 2017, 02:04:17 PM »
wow wouldn't expect such an ignorant mistake like this from GOG, this will probably be as disastrous as when they fake shut down:

Boredfrom

« Reply #921 on: October 02, 2017, 02:13:47 PM »
GAF's biggest worry and issue after 60 people were killed and 500 more were injured is that...the shooter isn't being called a terrorist because he's not brown. 

Priorities, brehs  :doge

you're being a little disingenuous. how this story is covered dictates the narrative surrounding it.  framing it has just a rando allows people to put it in the back of their minds, framing it as terrorism gives it weight.

that's not even getting into the societal ramifications of why we don't frame it as terrorism

I think that my issue with this is that people start to "normalize" terrorism as a throwaway term than give it weight to the tragedy. Some of you guys seem to forget the Bush years very fast.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #922 on: October 02, 2017, 02:17:00 PM »
ITS FUCKING LUCASFILM NOT DISNEY, HOLY FUCK YOU STUPID ASSHOLES GET IT RIGHT DISNEY BASICALLY HAS ZERO SAY IN STAR WARS!!!!  IT IS ALL LUCASFILM!!!11111

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #923 on: October 02, 2017, 02:19:31 PM »
The Vegas thing will go exactly like every shooting/bombing/etc. It'll become a semantics game where instead of coming up with solutions, people will argue about what the shooter should be defined as and the right call him a lone wolf, blame mental illness and downplay the need for gun control and the left will use this to demonize "white people" in the same way the right demonizes muslims and mexicans as if that solves anything. Nothing will be solved and political chess pieces will continue to get moved ad finitum.

Boredfrom

« Reply #924 on: October 02, 2017, 02:20:34 PM »
ITS FUCKING LUCASFILM NOT DISNEY, HOLY FUCK YOU STUPID ASSHOLES GET IT RIGHT DISNEY BASICALLY HAS ZERO SAY IN STAR WARS!!!!  IT IS ALL LUCASFILM!!!11111

You are a hero!

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #925 on: October 02, 2017, 02:51:22 PM »
To him I bet we look like the same kind of weird creeps and it kinda bothers me a little?

But that's the whole gag!

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #926 on: October 02, 2017, 03:49:32 PM »
The Vegas thing will go exactly like every shooting/bombing/etc. It'll become a semantics game where instead of coming up with solutions, people will argue about what the shooter should be defined as and the right call him a lone wolf, blame mental illness and downplay the need for gun control and the left will use this to demonize "white people" in the same way the right demonizes muslims and mexicans as if that solves anything. Nothing will be solved and political chess pieces will continue to get moved ad finitum.

Stop talking like a sensible person. This isn't NeoGAF, damnit.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #927 on: October 02, 2017, 04:05:49 PM »

Stop talking like a sensible person. This isn't NeoGAF, damnit.

Exactly, I'd get banned for saying that on GAF.  :lol

« Reply #928 on: October 02, 2017, 04:10:34 PM »
My favorite semantic game being played is people arguing that he's not a sniper cause he fired a lot and didn't have military training.

daemon

« Reply #929 on: October 02, 2017, 05:18:04 PM »
My favorite semantic game being played is people arguing that he's not a sniper cause he fired a lot and didn't have military training.

"as seen on TV"

Jansen

« Reply #930 on: October 02, 2017, 05:31:43 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=250715621&postcount=4502

Quote from: UberTag
Americans need to arm themselves and put out a hitlist on gun lobbyists and the NRA.
Shoot them all dead.  And their families dead.  Then, maybe they'll think free access to firearms is a bad idea.  But probably not.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #931 on: October 02, 2017, 05:47:27 PM »

Americans need to arm themselves and put out a hitlist on gun lobbyists and the NRA.
Shoot them all dead.  And their families dead.  Then, maybe they'll think free access to firearms is a bad idea.  But probably not.
dude was banned with the quickness
每天生气

Nola

« Reply #932 on: October 02, 2017, 05:52:45 PM »
It's hard to get the ball rolling when there are more guns than people in the country

Here’s the thing I keep going back to, survey after survey will show that a majority of the public supports a number of incremental gun control measures.

Is it my ideal, no, but because of political tribalism, and I would argue structural deficiencies in how our government processes function, from redistricting, to campaign finance, to the unbalanced scale of political access, to special interest media influence, there is basically zero possibility for those consensus items to move from public consensus to actual policy(in fact we continue to move further away from those items).

I used to try and make this point on GAF, but the best long-term answer the left has at making in-roads on this topic, and many others, is by putting their manpower and grassroots organizing into efforts that address those underlying issues. Which, ironically, talking shit and organizing around institutional corruption and moneyed influence, is actually something that you can find rare unity throughout the Democratic support network.

So my critique of the GAF narrative is that while I think there is a legitimate complaint about how we cover incidents like this in the media, especially in the right-wing hemisphere, ultimately those discussions, and frankly even the gun control debates, are just pointless exercises. Because at the end of the day, even if you win those battles rhetorically - which when you think about it they have sort of already been won - those combined forces are still making the meaningful policy changes insurmountable.

Jansen

« Reply #933 on: October 02, 2017, 05:54:22 PM »

dude was banned with the quickness

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=250716617&postcount=4537

guess his facetiousness wasn't that obvious

zepblackstar

« Reply #934 on: October 02, 2017, 06:01:32 PM »
Gaf is getting better at banning these fools. I wonder what happened to prompt it..

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #935 on: October 02, 2017, 06:06:36 PM »
Gaf is getting better at banning these fools. I wonder what happened to prompt it..

Sagging ad revenue.
dog

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #936 on: October 02, 2017, 06:23:19 PM »
RUSSIAN INFILTRATION INTO THE MODS JUST LIKE IN MY SPY NOVELS

stufte

« Reply #937 on: October 02, 2017, 06:36:02 PM »

Bananas

« Reply #938 on: October 02, 2017, 06:55:14 PM »

"Solutions" have already been found (Sensible gun control and laws, like in every fucking country), it's just that the people in charge have no interest in pursuing these solutions.

I'm not sure what the people on the net can do, they are going to talk regardless.

railGUN

• If my bones are breaking would you tell me that I'm weak?
« Reply #939 on: October 02, 2017, 09:45:46 PM »
You say that as if you should be hunting. You shouldn't be.

Ban guns.
Fish<

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #940 on: October 02, 2017, 10:30:09 PM »
Another issue is that the left is pretty hardcore on all or nothing, so incremental changes they won't fight for and people on the left that DO fight for incremental changes that can eventually lead to bigger changes often get ostracized for "half measures" or not caring enough. This goes for everything from health care to guns, and it's part of why shit rarely gets done about any of these issues since Dems can't unite enough around incremental changes that can change things 20 years from now in favor of immediate change.

No one wants to believe things take time to change, so in the mean time they eat their own trying to lay the ground work for change because it isn't fast enough. Meanwhile, the right stays united on all their dumb shit. America, y'all.

Incremental change does get shit on as being "both sides" "moderate darling" "MLK quote" on GAF.  I hope in the real world the left doesn't go for that nonsense.
sigh

daemon

« Reply #941 on: October 03, 2017, 05:08:42 AM »
I think the problem with gun control (because in this case gun control wouldn't have helped since there are no mental records afaik), is that it's a very specific city-centric debate. I don't think taking guns is a good idea when you have one sheriff department for a huge surface and you might actually need to defend yourself to stop dying before they reach the scene. In the city-centric areas, there are more than enough cops, so that's why they don't get the need for guns.

So imo it's a case of what you allow in the cities. It seems to be where they manage to make the mass murders because civillians don't actually carry firearms.

wsippel

« Reply #942 on: October 03, 2017, 06:15:31 AM »
Looking at GAF, some people seem to think guns are banned in Europe or something. They're not. If you want one, you can get one. Some countries limit what kind of guns or how many you're allowed to buy, some countries put tight restriction on who's allowed to carry guns, but it's not like they're banned outright. Most European countries have stricter gun control, but I think the mindset is far more important. In Europe, you typically buy guns for sports, hunting and collecting. Not for self defense. You never intend to point it at another human. Guns are not viewed as pieces of self expression or glorified means of power projection, they're sports equipment, tools, pieces of art or historic documents. The wild west mentality and lack of confidence in the police force in the US are probably bigger issues than the legal situation.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #943 on: October 03, 2017, 11:56:07 AM »
Lime thread? Lime thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1442189

I thought you were white, lime. Now I'm confused.

This month he might be an aboriginal australian living in Macau, who knows.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #944 on: October 03, 2017, 01:02:02 PM »
Lime is transracial, shitlord.

Himu

« Reply #945 on: October 03, 2017, 01:03:52 PM »
Someone squeeze a lime on Lime's face to melt their mask so we can finally know who they are.

I bet it's Obesesada.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #946 on: October 03, 2017, 01:06:13 PM »
I think the problem with gun control (because in this case gun control wouldn't have helped since there are no mental records afaik), is that it's a very specific city-centric debate. I don't think taking guns is a good idea when you have one sheriff department for a huge surface and you might actually need to defend yourself to stop dying before they reach the scene. In the city-centric areas, there are more than enough cops, so that's why they don't get the need for guns.

So imo it's a case of what you allow in the cities. It seems to be where they manage to make the mass murders because civillians don't actually carry firearms.

:lol

Even in cities it takes cops minutes to reach the scene of a crime and depending on the makeup of that person (gender, race, lgbt?) they'll take their sweet time.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #947 on: October 03, 2017, 01:18:33 PM »
Can wait for the next time a gaffot makes a thread:

"TRANS WOMAN MURDERED!!!" "BLACK MAN KILLED AS GROUP KILL HIM FOR SPORT"

I can see it now.

"STOP KILLING US!!!!!" "Stop killing them!!" "I am a demisexual agender polyamorous trans woman and this makes me sad that this world doesn't want people like us!"

Ignoring that the best means of self protection for the marginalized are guns.

Then a few weeks later....

"US SHOOTING. TRAGIC BUSINESS."

"BAN GUNS. NO ONE SHOULD HAVE GUNS IN TODAY'S SOCIETY." etc etc etc

librul cognitive dissonance in action. bring them tissues, it's laughin' time.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 01:24:16 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #948 on: October 03, 2017, 02:32:37 PM »

It's a much simpler explanation that also explains your noticing of a city-related pattern.

Most people don't buy guns with the intention of shooting other people, because in general most people don't have the intention to murder other people. Even in situations like Chicago, etc. where it's borderline illegal to own a gun, people participating in illegal activities generally carry because they're engaged in illegal activities and it's for self-defense as normal methods are taken off the table for them. Criminal organizations have long ago recognized that large scale violence tends to bring unwanted attention to where gang wars and gang violence dropped with crime rates, in some areas, even faster. Even The Wire wrapped an entire season and a half of plotlines around this cost-benefit analysis within a criminal organization, but it was taken like most of the show from the real world.

So even in those instances where we have people already committing illegal acts on the regular, and generally acquiring weapons illegally, there's social pressures that discourage them within their world beyond their own desire to kill or not kill fellow humans.

When someone chooses to murder especially on a mass scale, they have an extreme advantage over everyone else who operates under the standard presumption that others do not desire to murder them. Thus the general patterns of planning, stockpiling of weapons, targeting certain dates, even doing test runs, etc. A person who has thrown out the intention to not mass murder has thrown out the playbook and circumvented nearly every tripwire so they can walk into a movie theater, school, sit in a hotel, park a truck they've loaded up with a homemade bomb, etc. knowing what they intend to do which no one else does and knowing what they have access to which no one else does and knowing that they aren't participating in any sort of traditional norms. And this applies even if they're just going to kill their partner with a nail gun to the back of the head for referring to "Disney's Star Wars" or whatever.

Consider the societal mass murder of our age, 9/11, and why it worked. Prior conditioning for decades suggested that hijackings were generally used for hostage taking and the hijackers were not suicidal (and often not even overly violent) to that scale. The 9/11 hijackers had every advantage because they knew this was not the case and nobody else did. (Our air defense systems which did have planning for this did not have actual operations for anything like the immediacy needed as they couldn't know the intentions.)

Except Flight 93. Which changed the situational calculus of at least enough passengers on board to foil the hijackers plan. Arguably not because the passengers were any better armed or prepared or smarter but because it evened the playfield in terms of the knowledge of the no-win scenario they had been placed in. (Even if we go down the Alex Jones path of it being shot down or blah blah blah, it was the only of the planes that could be, because only by that time did the defense systems in place know the intentions and have the capability to react to those.) It was the hijackers who then became at a situational disadvantage.

daemon

« Reply #949 on: October 03, 2017, 03:29:21 PM »
Yeah, you're completely right Benji

benjipwns

« Reply #950 on: October 03, 2017, 03:34:24 PM »
Still trying to roll my eyes back properly from some of QOI's posts.
This is why we need eye control.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #951 on: October 03, 2017, 03:52:29 PM »
Disneys Star Wars  :maf

agrajag

« Reply #952 on: October 03, 2017, 03:56:20 PM »
Why would you think that Disney has any say on the Star Wars franchise when any and all decisions regarding Star Wars are in purview of LucasArts, kiddo?

benjipwns

« Reply #953 on: October 03, 2017, 04:15:32 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1422806

Thread devolves insanely because JonTron cameos in the smallest of ways which means the developers are literal nazis for not taking it out.

It sucks that it took dude espousing some insanely awful views for people to realize he's ass who never deserved attention, but I'd still buy the game because he has literally no part of the actual game outside of a sentence or two.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=250758824&postcount=103
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=250759922&postcount=113
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=250812638&postcount=152

:rofl

stufte

« Reply #954 on: October 03, 2017, 04:26:08 PM »
Red hats and youtubers are literally the worst thing that happened on this vile earth.

TVC15

« Reply #955 on: October 03, 2017, 04:28:42 PM »
Bobby Roberts hasn’t tweeted in almost a day. Do you think he’s okay? Should we file a missing persons report or something?
serge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #956 on: October 03, 2017, 04:29:08 PM »
I wonder if Bobby Roberts would boycott the new Star Wars movie if it came out that some guy who appeared in it for three seconds and had one line was a racist? :thinking
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #957 on: October 03, 2017, 04:29:51 PM »
Red hats and youtubers are literally the worst thing that happened on this vile earth.
wow shots fired at Mario out of nowhere, you'd think this was a Queen post

benjipwns

« Reply #958 on: October 03, 2017, 04:33:12 PM »
Bobby Roberts hasn’t tweeted in almost a day. Do you think he’s okay? Should we file a missing persons report or something?
he deleted the tweet Joe linked here, but not the one i did :smug

clearly Bobby knows a real brand enthusiast and someone just faking it to try and become one of the cool kids :snob

benjipwns

« Reply #959 on: October 03, 2017, 04:39:40 PM »
missed this one :lol
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=250802303&postcount=126
I looked at youtube trending and was grossed out to see that he's making videos again like nothing happened and people are lapping it up