Author Topic: WOLFENSTEIN II: THE NEW COLOSSUS  (Read 7727 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: WOLFENSTEIN II: THE NEW COLOSSUS
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2017, 04:02:30 PM »
Cancelling my Mario preorder.
©@©™

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2017, 04:26:34 PM »
Holy shit @ that one scene that's making rounds  :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
9 months pregnant chick topless, stradling the dude while blowing away nazi bots and getting covered in blood.

[close]

:whew

might just get this

anime tits

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2017, 04:32:34 PM »

9 months pregnant chick topless, stradling the dude while blowing away nazi bots and getting covered in blood.

[close]
link?
http://i.4cdn.org/v/1508957057508.webm

:nsfw

archie4208

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2017, 04:32:35 PM »

[close]
link?

:nsfw :nsfw :nsfw https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/LastingPerfectDogwoodclubgall  :nsfw :nsfw :nsfw

Borealis

« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2017, 11:58:24 PM »
Spent three hours on it so far, its fantastic: the characters, cinematic work + dialogue, emotions, environments, gunplay improvements, hub world, humour, PC options :lawd

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2017, 12:51:44 AM »
Hi

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2017, 09:26:53 AM »
So uh... this game seems to have some technical issues so far. Seems for NVIDIA users the game triggers a BSOD when you change some of the visual settings. I happened to me when I tried to alt+tab out, and also when I changed the VSync setting. In latter case, now its actually broken completely. Game launches and it displays the initial gamma setting config with an error "Message Type Not Defined" and then the main menu is completely blank.

I guess my save games are corrupted and I need to delete them locally... but I can't find my local saves, so I'm reinstalling the game.
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2017, 10:54:31 AM »
Managed to find where my save games are - deleted them. Then disabled Cloud saves and the game launches normally. Then I enabled Cloud saves again and launched the game again and it gave me the same error "Message Type Not Defined" but the main menu popped up and my progress is still there.

So when I get home I'll see if the game is working I guess?
nat

kingv

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2017, 11:33:39 AM »
Try to disable a sync computer. This seems to have worked for some people. (Saw on Gafetera)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2017, 01:36:12 PM »
Anyone know if Wyatt/Fergus changes cutscenes again, or just the guns? I did Fergus but I missed out on J

So uh... this game seems to have some technical issues so far. Seems for NVIDIA users the game triggers a BSOD when you change some of the visual settings. I happened to me when I tried to alt+tab out, and also when I changed the VSync setting. In latter case, now its actually broken completely. Game launches and it displays the initial gamma setting config with an error "Message Type Not Defined" and then the main menu is completely blank.

I guess my save games are corrupted and I need to delete them locally... but I can't find my local saves, so I'm reinstalling the game.

Time to buy XBOX ONE X, the most powerful console ever

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2017, 02:36:14 PM »
cinematic work

I feel like the first game should've gotten more praise for that as well. Some of the best cinematography I've seen in a game.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2017, 07:57:10 PM »
Blew through the first few missions pretty quick, although it would have gone quicker except I have a tendency to over-extend myself constantly and get killed. It's a very fun game so far, quick and solid gunplay with some really great graphics. Love the story, too, setting it in America with Nazis really adds a little kick to it.
dog

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2017, 08:35:20 PM »
too many damned cutscenes... took like 15 minutes just to get to actual gameplay... :(

playing on I am Death Incarnate, got to the first time you can walk freely around the sub

Borealis

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2017, 10:33:09 PM »
Anyone know if Wyatt/Fergus changes cutscenes again, or just the guns? I did Fergus but I missed out on J

Both.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2017, 11:09:49 AM »
The part after you arrive in USA and have to "Stall the Nazis" is probably one of the most frustrating combat encounters I've seen. Small space + lots of enemies + take a lot of damage. So damn hard. I had to bump the difficulty down.
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2017, 11:46:01 AM »
I think the game is bugged for me because perks aren't unlocking or going up even when I do the thing they want. Also I still getting the weird Message Type Not Define when I load my game. It still lets me play but I feel like something's not quite right.
nat

ParanoidRED

« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2017, 04:49:54 AM »
God this runs so damn good on my 970, motherfuckin idt5 was such a shit engine

Game is rather entertaining so far, quite a bit of cutscenes but they are pretty well made and the v.o. is incredible...and that Mick Gordon's soundtrack, goddamn

FatalT

« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2017, 11:22:15 AM »
8 hours in and from what I can tell I’ve almost beaten it. Good game for a rental! I think I preferred The Evil Within 2 more though. This game just feels like it had more political hype surrounding it that overshadowed the fact that it’s just...Wolfenstein.

Happy with my purchase of Assassin’s Creed: Origins though because they really changed up the formula and it feels more like The Witcher 3 with better combat whereas this just feels like Wolfenstein with 3-4 “shock value” sequences.

kingv

« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2017, 11:45:53 AM »
That description actually makes me want to play the new AC.

Tucah

« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2017, 11:57:50 AM »
The first couple hours of this game are fucking excellent.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2017, 09:01:20 PM »
Other than occasionally getting annoyed at dying all the time [generally it's my own fault for being too aggressive], I'm really having a lot of fun. It's got a lot of great action, buttery smooth gameplay, amazing graphics, bumping soundtrack, and I even like the cutscenes/story. I've made it to a pretty incredible part of the game, won't post any spoilers but I'll just say that you end up in a pretty unexpected location. That whole part is amazing and hilarious, and I'm still just getting started on that level.

One thing that kind of annoys me is having to press a button to pick up armor and ammo on the ground. Just feels like an extra step that doesn't need to be there and the prompt is a bit finicky, so occasionally it's hard to get in the right place to pick stuff up.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 11:17:07 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2017, 11:43:59 PM »
I feel like you're right and the game is wrong. The game should reward aggression, or at least make it a viable alternative to stealth killing the commanders. I don't generally play games on easy mode but I just do not want to play this as they want me to, just like the last game.

It's still a lot of fun though and I love the presentation.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2017, 12:04:23 AM »
I'd say that's the game's biggest fault: it feels like it's giving me the tools to play very aggressively, but I'm constantly dying due to getting stuck in the open away from cover or being flanked by an enemy I didn't see coming. It's kinda somewhere between the constant aggressive combat of Doom and the more standard cover FPS of CoD and the like. Still having a lot of fun, though, and it does just about everything else right, but I wish they could have struck that balance a little bitter.
dog

FatalT

« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2017, 01:55:06 AM »
I finished it in 13 hours and 38 minutes on the second Normal difficulty mode, "Bring it On" or whatever it's called. There's two of them, one is "Normal for people used to FPS games" and the other was "Normal for people experienced with FPS games." You don't get a(n) trophy/achievement for the first one. I enjoyed it but I still feel like it mostly relied on shock value and I didn't enjoy the perks as much as the first game/side-game. I would actually go out of my way to re-load games to farm those perks but in this one I just didn't care because they didn't seem to make much of a difference. I also didn't do any of the side-quests after finishing the game, which there are a lot of because of the assassination missions and the millions of collectible items in it. I just couldn't be bothered. I returned it to Red Box earlier. I feel like it was an enjoyable experience but it was just same ole', same ole' Wolfenstein, just this time with more attention to it because "OMG GUYS KILLING NAZIS!" The two KKK members you see in the Firefighter video are the ONLY KKK members in the entire game. Great marketing on that front to get the outrage brigade to get the game but eh, it's a rental at best.

Also the leaning mechanics just didn't feel right. The A.I. seemed too iffy, unlike the first games. You could lean around a corner and they'd spot you somehow (wouldn't happen in the first games), then they'd just stand and stare at where you were at. In the other two, they wouldn't notice you and would walk past you, letting you stealth kill them. That was frustrating as hell because of the stealth way I was trying to play and contraption I chose (yes I know you can get them all in one play through).
Other than occasionally getting annoyed at dying all the time [generally it's my own fault for being too aggressive], I'm really having a lot of fun. It's got a lot of great action, buttery smooth gameplay, amazing graphics, bumping soundtrack, and I even like the cutscenes/story. I've made it to a pretty incredible part of the game, won't post any spoilers but I'll just say that you end up in a pretty unexpected location. That whole part is amazing and hilarious, and I'm still just getting started on that level.

One thing that kind of annoys me is having to press a button to pick up armor and ammo on the ground. Just feels like an extra step that doesn't need to be there and the prompt is a bit finicky, so occasionally it's hard to get in the right place to pick stuff up.

I noticed that if I just walked over ammo sometimes it'd automatically pick it up but armor and health items, I'd have to actually look at them and press the button to pick them up. Super annoying. Don't even get me started on that last final battle. I was both disappointed with this one and pleased with the "shock value" moments but I guess I could've just YouTubed those but eh, for $6.40 and 13.5 hours of my time it's whatever.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2017, 09:40:04 PM »
Beat it today. Pretty happy with how the end played out, still a few little things here and there that are probably for if they do another Wolfenstein in a few years but nothing really major that makes the ending feel incomplete.
dog

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2017, 08:52:24 PM »
Post New Orleans spoilers:

Ok so I'm going down the Wyatt timeline. And he goes on this acid-fueled rant about the Nazi's having their base on Venus and that we need to take a helicopter to Venus and I'm like "Damn this dude is crazy". Then Anya butts in with a real plan and I'm like, ok girl give us the real actual plan. And she says "Oh we need to have you pose as this actor and that's how we'll get you to Venus"

and I'm like. WAIT SO THE VENUS THING WAS ACTUALLY REAL? LIKE FOR REAL FOR REAL? and yup, off we go to fucking VENUS.
[close]
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2017, 10:53:58 PM »
Near the final battle maybe?

On the top of this flying base and two giant mechs show up and destroy me.
[close]

Super hard.
nat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2017, 11:35:33 PM »
That's the final battle.

They got me a few times, but I managed to get the upper hand by bringing one of the heavy weapons [the one that shoots the giant ball of energy] up the elevator with me and used that to get in some major damage at a distance.
[close]
dog

kingv

« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2017, 12:10:21 PM »
Started playing this yesterday and so far it seems...not amazing?

It’s competent, but I’m really not enjoying the gunplay or how weak my dude is. In fact I put it down on the lowest difficulty (which is way TOO easy, but the next one up I would die quite often). I feel like the movement options aren’t enough to make run and gun really viable, and too many of the levels are complicated to navigate. Especially in bombed out NYC and Section F of the sub.

I do like that most of the levels are short though. It’s a nice touch. Default health should be 100 however and not 50.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2017, 12:25:37 PM »
Default is 50 because your character is dying. It goes back to 100 later in the game for a reason.

I played most of the game on the middle difficulty. The key is to not approach it like Doom or even a typical cover. It fits in between where you always need to be moving at all times. Staying in place behind cover will get you killed. Always dual wield if you can and just dump. Always be looking out for health and armor pickups.

I've found most people don't enjoy the combat because they're playing like other shooters and the pace is different.
nat

kingv

« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2017, 02:02:41 PM »
Yeah, it’s just a weird flow to me. Like I just don’t exactly understand what the game wants me to do to be good at it.

Doom 2016 was FPS bliss for me.That game really nailed combat. Wolfenstein it just seems like too often an enemy gets the jump on me for whatever reason and I’m dead in a split second. Like no time to respond or even figure out what killed me.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2017, 02:24:49 PM »
Man this fucking game rules so hard

The cutscene with the fuhrer.. jesus christ
What

Freyj

« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2017, 11:01:16 PM »
Just finished The New Order for the first time.

I'd heard a lot of people recommend it after loving the fuck outta Doom and honestly? That game is dogshit compared to Doom. I despise the stealth aspects, commander mechanic and survival horror resource management bits.

Hoping 2 improves on my issues with the first, but I'll just lower the difficulty and see the story if I have to.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2017, 12:38:04 PM »
Yep that was my problem with TNO. You die so quickly, like waiting one sec to turn around and shoot a guy can result in your death. Which then means your running around scurrying for health and armor which means you spend a lot of time looking at the floor because I guess hovering on stuff to get it is a bad idea. In your hectic FPS game. Stealth isn't fun and since the game moves so fast it feels like it's supposed to be a twitch shooter, but that seems at odds with how the game actually plays out.

I'm not sure 2 actually solves this.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2017, 07:19:09 PM »
It doesn't.

I wish they had stolen the Doom glory kill system and scrapped the commandant mechanic.

Freyj

« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2017, 10:02:17 AM »
At this point if they just released a new Wolfenstein skin of Doom 2016 gameplay every year I’d be there wallet open every time.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2017, 12:24:12 PM »
I finished this yesterday and what a mixed bag it is. The story and art direction are some of the best I've seen in ages. The U-Boat feels really lived in in the same way the hideout of the first one did but bigger and more detailed. The level design has some confusing decisions in terms of flow, but the arena areas are sick - the problem is, the gunplay is so weak that you never get to really traverse them in any kind of interesting way. DOOM had a great balance of push and pull in combat, and really pushed you to move around the various areas in order to stay alive and keep your streak going. In this, you're constantly getting mowed down in two seconds without realizing it until you're dead, and when you're fighting, you're constantly flicking the mouse down while hammering E so you can stave off death. The weapons are pretty cool, especially upgraded, and when the opportunity to use them in a relatively open area arises, the shooting can be fun, but for the most part it just feels weak.

That said, the story is so bonkers that I can basically put all that aside. The first one was over the top at points, but TNC is ready to just jump off the rails, then jump off whatever it lands of from there into outer space. I'm pleasantly surprised to see a game this big that's allowed to be this weird.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2017, 02:50:14 AM »
So I turned down the difficulty(to normal and even then) and just never used aim down the sights. Also upgrading the shotgun and assault rifle(with the scope) and basically those are the only guns you need. Made the gameplay more enjoyable, but nowhere near Doom levels. But I could play more ham though and less stealth. In the end the gunplay is ok, it still is frustruating though because you feel so week and have to scurry around way too much. Still fun, but I sure did die a lot.

But I think the overall art, presentation, writing, story, and characters made up for it. I didn't think BJ was amazing in New Order, but I found him far more likable here. There are so many great character moments in this game it's almost touching. Also the voice acting was great.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2017, 10:41:44 AM »
This game sounds very much like something worth playing when it's $20 or less...like the first two.  :doge

If I can grab it for $20-$25 during Black Friday sales, I'll pick it up.  But I still haven't played the other games in this series yet anyway.  Don't know if I'll ever play Return To Castle Wolfenstein, but I would like to play the 2009 Activision-published Wolfenstein first before going through the Bethesda games.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2017, 12:18:36 AM »
Just beat it. This game really picks up in the last 40% or so.

I ended up putting the difficulty way down to the easiest level, and played it as a run and gun. IMO, it’s much better that way as the gunplay is just... not amazing in general.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2017, 11:48:50 AM »
ど助平

Vertigo

« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2017, 05:58:12 PM »
Game is awesome. Not ashamed to admit I turned down the difficulty so I could play it like a madman.

Stabbing nazi after nazi and generally being reckless.

Will do a rock hard playthrough afterwards.

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2017, 08:35:19 AM »
holy shit at people shitting on the game in here

fucking alt righters CONFIRMED

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2017, 09:38:27 AM »
I've heard a lot of takes that the shooting is bad in this game which I don't agree with at all. The only aspect that I don't love is that hit detection, but other than that I think it's super fun.

nat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2017, 02:09:22 PM »
just copped on gmg with the code "GMG17"

https://greenmangaming.mention-me.com/m/ol/te7in-tokubetsu

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #106 on: December 24, 2017, 05:44:30 AM »
that makes it ~$25 which is one of the lowest prices on a big site, fanatical has it for $26 (code: WINTER10)

gamebillet which i've never used and is yet another terrible name for a website which makes me question it but is probably fine has it for $23 (code: gb5off)

something called voidu which is Yurop centric has it for ~$24/20 euros

should note, this game has some kinda wild key activation restrictions especially depending on the site, fanatical says their version only activates in US and Canada, GameBillet says theirs will not activate in "Austria | Bahrain | Germany | Israel | Japan | Kuwait | Lebanon | Oman | Qatar | Saudi Arabia", Voidu says will not activate in Germany

it seems that although Germany is the only country that it's totally forbidden in for most places, Zenimax may not have any keys that activate in Austria either

so definitely check the details on the keys for this game if you live outside trump's america

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #107 on: December 24, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »
So im like an hour and this is very much a toku game, glad machinegames still shining. It's actually reminds me more of Riddick and Darkness 1 than TNO did which is a good thing. I saw a lot of mixed or negative reactions to all the cutscenes and storytelling but that's what makes machinegames games for me. They're the only ones still doing FPS storytelling on this level.