Author Topic: internet nerd realizes actions have consequences; loses dream job  (Read 3276 times)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
internet nerd realizes actions have consequences; loses dream job
« on: September 26, 2017, 10:45:20 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/72lv5x/343_industries_has_revoked_multilockons_job_offer/

Hey guys, I wanted to update you all on my situation with 343.
This is a little embarrassing and I've struggled back and forth about posting this publicly but I think it's best if I explain this once to everyone, and not a hundred times individually. As of yesterday 343 revoked their offer to me as a level designer. It seems that they weren't pleased with the way I've criticized them in the past between my posts on Forgehub and Beyond. So whoever made the anonymous account on r/halo and posted screenshots of old posts, well...congrats! You won. In fact you won to the extent so that I already quit my prior job, sold my place in California, placed a $2500 payment on an apartment in Bellevue Washington (among other expenses), and began transporting my belongings up there. Only to find out from the agency I was working under that my offer was withdrawn. Which puts me in a tricky position where I am both unemployed (no Treyarch or 343) and scrambling to find some place to live - as I had briefly moved my belongings to my parents during this weird transition phase. So life has definitely thrown me a curve ball here.
Now hear me, I'm not looking for pity. I believe I'm currently reaping what I've sowed; and it's not that I regret criticizing 343 publicly in the past because they are not above reproach - they know this as well. But rather the way I've gone about it could always have been more...professional. At least considering that my goal has always been to be in the industry I should've held myself to a higher standard (if that's not your goal then flame on). I suppose a little patience over the years could have gone a long way in this moment. I just wish communication would have been a bit clearer going either way to have avoided the pickle I'm currently in.
The expenses isn't the bad part; I can deal with that. I have no doubt I can find another level design job in the industry given time. The aspect of this that really drives home is that this was Halo. After all these years of forging, I thought what I wanted was 1: a proper editor without boundaries, 2:to be a professional. It wasn't until I was sitting at Treyarch working on the highest grossing video game franchise in the world with every ounce of dev power at my disposal did I realize that it wasn't about the editor, or the money, or the prestige. In fact after a 12 hour work day at Treyarch I would commute 3 hours home, sit down in front of my xbox, and start forging. And I think it was in that moment that everything really clicked - nothing really matters unless you're building for the game you love. And for as long as I can remember it's been Halo, it's always been Halo. All the dev tools in the world couldn't drive me away from clunking blocks together in forge just to have a single good 2v2 match before I knocked out for the night. People always ask me why I play so much Halo 5 (Level 142) if all I do is bitch about it. Well, I'd rather play a Halo game I hate than the greatest Battlefield game out there. Or the best Call of Duty. Or the best such and such. Even with all the frivolous mechanics that have entered the franchise in the past decade that I don't agree with, the simple ebb and flow of a good pistol battle is something that you're not going to find elsewhere.
I was excited to leave my cushy Southern California to go to rainy Washington, I was excited to take a ~$10,000 paycut. I was excited because I had finally made it to the place I felt like I was born to be in; Halo. And honestly that's all that mattered to me - working on the franchise that I loved. So to essentially already be in the door and then pushed back out is....difficult. And even more difficult knowing that this is essentially a forever no, a "you insulted our franchise and employees and will probably never get a chance to work here" no. It's disheartening to the point where I'm not even sure if I want to pursue another position in the game industry at this point. In the back of my head no matter where I worked I always knew I wanted to end at Halo. That's what I love, that's where my strongest talents lie, and that's what I know. So to have the reality spelled out for me where that position will likely never happen is a hard pill to swallow right now.
The few conversations I had with Tom French were delightful. The man was incredibly friendly, welcoming, understanding. I have no doubt that he would be a pleasure to work with and a great man to work under. But I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm sorry this didn't end up playing out. I was as excited as any of you were to contribute to the franchise and hopefully really design maps that would stand the test of time, I wanted to really make this franchise the juggernaut we all know it can be. So, sorry to let everyone down.

tldr: guy leaves treyarch for 343, but his job offer is rescinded before he can start because someone dug up his old posts where he ripped into 343.

i really can't feel bad for the guy; if you want to work on the series, maybe don't completely trash the people who could potentially be your future coworkers, and who love the series just as much as you do? like not saying you shouldn't criticize, but maybe that whole "omg how dare they i trusted youuuu!" approach that gamers take when they don't like a new game is a bit much?
pcp

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
Re: internet nerd realizes actions have consequences; loses dream job
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 11:04:07 PM »
Its sorta nice seeing a forum dwelling know it all get smacked with their own vitriol.

He probably had a dream in his mind too that he'd be the one Halo fan to fix Halo or some shit.
OH!

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 11:07:25 PM »
his second to last sentence should like exactly that lol
pcp

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 11:37:00 PM »
What maps has he made under Treyarch? Forge isn't really "map making" per-se. You throw boxes together to "make a map" but it's kinda different when you're actually having to build in QTKradiant and the like level-builders.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 07:59:26 AM »
343 is trash and scam artists tho
dur

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 08:11:56 AM »

I don't blame them for not hiring someone who wrote this, however:
ど助平

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 08:36:26 AM »
This guy sounds way too self important but he's taking it well, learned as lesson, and seems like he's being a professional about it.

thisismyusername

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 08:39:10 AM »
Incredibly disappointed in Bungie's actions however.

:confused

Bungie hasn't had anything to do with Halo in over ten years. You're thinking of 343, which is part of Microsoft.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 08:40:22 AM »
Bungie hasn't had anything to do with Halo in over ten years. You're thinking of 343, which is part of Microsoft.

:what

No idea what you're talking about. It's only been 8 years since ODST came out.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bungie = Halo

[close]
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 09:45:38 AM by a slime appears »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 09:13:41 AM »
So the franchise can't be a juggernaut now? Damn, 343 just shot themselves in the foot.
©ZH

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 09:51:45 AM »
This reminds me of that time when Gary Whitta went through all his old Star Wars posts and edited them after he got the writing gig for Rogue One. It’s not the same thing but that was pretty funny.

http://furiousfanboys.com/2014/05/22/gary-whitta-attempts-to-delete-his-special-edition-prequel-bashing-online/

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 10:08:02 AM »
I knew of a similar situation in France.
Basically as Mary Tyler Wilde Ecce Ommo says : everything you write on the net may be permanent and public.
ὕβρις

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
This reminds me of that time when Gary Whitta went through all his old Star Wars posts and edited them after he got the writing gig for Rogue One. It’s not the same thing but that was pretty funny.

http://furiousfanboys.com/2014/05/22/gary-whitta-attempts-to-delete-his-special-edition-prequel-bashing-online/

He might still have a gig if only he could have deleted every copy of Book of Eli and After Earth in existence

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 01:25:24 PM »

I don't blame them for not hiring someone who wrote this, however:
(Image removed from quote.)

People should have lost jobs after the MCC disaster
dur

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 02:37:23 PM »
Who says nobody did?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 10:24:10 PM »
This guy sounds way too self important but he's taking it well, learned as lesson, and seems like he's being a professional about it.

Mostly professional. Honestly, he's taken a big hit and I'm sure he's stumbling, but it's pretty stunning to think he can be this passionate about game design ONLY about a specific franchise. The sad part is, 343 was likely less interested in vendetta and more about heading off a PR disaster which could have occurred once the posts were unearthed.

Now I'm wondering if I've badmouthed any particular company on this forum at which I'd have any interest in working…

bluemax

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 12:54:54 AM »
I dunno, I've met a decent number of people in my time in games who only care about one game, or one type of game, or one company. It's very myopic but they exist.

A classmate in college of mine, all he wanted was to work for Blizzard. He actually got a job there eventually as a QA guy and ended up with an NPC named after himself in WoW.
NO

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 01:08:37 AM »
Badmouth figures in your industry under a name that can be traced back to you brehs

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 01:13:04 AM »
Badmouth figures in your industry under a name that can be traced back to you brehs

Yeah… (cough) About that…  :-\

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 01:14:31 AM »
that's the problem here. 343 is at fault for letting it get this far. We're not talking about insults and words, we're now talking about a man who left his state, house and uprooted everything to move after an offer was extended.

These corporations aint dying for you :heh

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 03:10:34 AM »
Back in 2001 I had fanboys saying I didn't deserve to work at Company X, which just hired me, because I wrote a nasty review of one of their games, and were unearthing old quotes trying to get me fired

War. War never changes

thisismyusername

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 06:06:18 AM »
that's the problem here. 343 is at fault for letting it get this far. We're not talking about insults and words, we're now talking about a man who left his state, house and uprooted everything to move after an offer was extended.

These corporations aint dying for you :heh

I mean, sure. But at the same time it's a huge dick move to go "oh, yeah, sorry. We aren't gonna hire you after all." When they already moved up there. At least give them relocation services or something.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 07:12:24 AM »
 :cmonson

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 07:22:58 AM by Premium Lager »

bluemax

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2017, 03:10:22 AM »
Turns out he also hates Trans people, so that probably was a bigger issue.
NO

N0brainner

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2017, 02:24:21 PM »
This is honestly a life lesson in keeping your friends close and your enemies closer. You could end up being co-workers with the very same people you're competing against one day. Should just try to not burn bridges with people who you think are worth it unless you know for a fact they're scumlords or something awful.

jizzoh
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:22:29 PM by N0brainner »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2017, 07:10:15 PM »

Wait, so he had a bunch of transphobic stuff also through his main account?

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 11:12:33 PM »
ugh, Halo is his favourite franchise. being transphobic seems par for the course.
◕‿◕

bluemax

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 11:16:41 PM »

Wait, so he had a bunch of transphobic stuff also through his main account?

He did indeed.
NO