Author Topic: Retrogaming! Games,consoles,setups,displays,modding and emulation! Up to PS2 Era  (Read 18118 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
:lawd

Looks amazing. :drool

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Bought the Xenosaga trilogy for $90 off eBay.  Seems like only the third game is really worth anything?  I see copies of the first and second game are readily available, even new.  All the discs and manuals are in great shape, but the box on 2 could be a bit better.  Still not gonna complain for the price.

That just leaves Xenogears on PS1 and I'll have the complete 'Xeno' set.  Not even sure if I care about buying that.  I owned a copy that I sold off a few years back before I decided to get more into collecting again.
ど助平

Rman

Could you connect them to a CRT?

The NT Mini has full RGB analog video output support via a hd15 port (vga) at the back as well as 480p-1080p HD via HDMI, so yes

I'll be picking up a vga-scart cable from maplin tomorrow and then I'll be able to use it on my JVC CRT
Awesome. Looks like they are sold out though.

yep...I'm amazed I managed to actually get one. I knew this was the last of them, but didn't realise just how few were left. Going by whats been said on atariage, there likely won't be any more as Analogue is moving towards the much cheaper Super NT.

I've been messing with the Game Boy Color core tonight and its awesome.

(Image removed from quote.)

Bummer. I waited too long. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 07:57:26 AM by Rman »

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
i am nuking the last shit of my shitty retro collection

i have a full x360 cave collection if anyone wants to throw copious cash at me - plus other crap.

.... i really should make a list
O=X

Rich!

https://gizmodo.com/game-boy-is-coming-back-thanks-to-hyperkin-1821898716

oh man

that's like...my biverted pocket, but without the shitty battery life (two aaa batteries isnt enough to power an everdrive!). sold.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
i am nuking the last shit of my shitty retro collection

i have a full x360 cave collection if anyone wants to throw copious cash at me - plus other crap.

.... i really should make a list

Do you have Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets? I'd be interested...
^_^

Rich!

Built an RGB scart cable for my NT Mini! Had a bit of trouble before realising the vga standard requires pins 4 and 10 to be connected to register as RGB. Looks awesome on my CRT:

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Picked up at the record shop:

Dark Cloud 2
Sword of the Berserk (Dreamcast)
Super Street Fighter 2 (SNES)

They had Wild ARMs 2 but no manual, and also a copy of Ogre Battle PS1
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
i tried replaying beserk last year and that game aged like poo in the hot sun. good luck
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
i dont actually plan on playing it
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
hoarder collectors  :bolo
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Dont worry, all those games you sold me are in a safe place now
fat

Shuri

so yesterday I got my supergun board from ebay, and my modular atx power supply. I'm waiting for my second OSSC and the assorted scart cables to show up in the mail and i shall build the most modular supergun setup EVAR

I'm going to be using super nes controllers but I am starting to think I should had went for sega gen 6-buttons instead..  :doge

A family member commented that I maybe be about to ascend to the final form of being a gamer.

Rich!

yoooooooo bitches

I bought this last week for £20 on ebay:

According to the listing it's never been used, and going by the photos I believe it.

It's the Korean release of Yoshi's Island. And it's not in Korean - it's identical to the 1.1 version USA ROM. Boxed copies of this version go for £150+, so I think I've done alright here! Was dispatched on Monday, the tracking gave me the plane number itself and I watched it fly earlier today over Russia to Helsinki, Finland, along with its speed and altitude. Insane how we can track this kind of stuff nowadays.

I’m in the UK, so uh…I’ll give it a few more days.

Fifstar

Congrats, my personal goat!
Gulp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Interesting- Was under the impression that South Korea did not get game consoles only until recently due to some kind of ban on console gaming, but it seems that this was not the case at all?  (Am not confusing this with China!)

EDIT: Maybe this is what I was thinking of-
Foreign companies like Sega and Nintendo had difficulty to enter the market, so they licensed out their consoles to Korean companies. Samsung took Sega's Master System, which was then released in April 1989 as the "Samsung Gam*Boy". Most of the games were released on Korea on their original languages, being Phantasy Star the first game to be fully translated to Hangul. One year later, the Mega Drive arrived with the name of "Super Gam*Boy", having on 1992 all Samsung consoles renamed to "Alladin Boy". Samsung also produced its own game, a shoot 'em up called "Uju Geobukseon". Hyundai was the responsible for the releasing the NES, named Comboy. However, It didn't have any translated games.

But I remember reading that you basically couldn't find home consoles in Korea for a while and everybody was gaming on PC. 
:confused
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Yeah I played a few Korean Master System games, they were pretty bad... I think there was a ban on Japanese corporations directly releasing consoles there but they usually went through a Korean company - Hyundai, Samsung, etc.

^_^

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh dat Samsung Saturn :bow2

Kurt Russell

Does anybody have any experience with this?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-players-Pandora-s-box-5-960-in-1-Console-Red-Circle-Wolverine-Surface-8-Button/32842581499.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000023.3.2cd86979dibFPl

(I don't really care about hardware emulation, I just want to play salamander with decent controls)

- I was originally looking for a stick to use with mame on my nvidia shield because the shield controller is shit tier, but I've watched some youtube videos of the built in pandoras box emulation and it seems pretty decent. I still can't find a definitive answer as to whether I could add my own roms to it though.
woke

Rich!

Interesting- Was under the impression that South Korea did not get game consoles only until recently due to some kind of ban on console gaming, but it seems that this was not the case at all?  (Am not confusing this with China!)

EDIT: Maybe this is what I was thinking of-
Foreign companies like Sega and Nintendo had difficulty to enter the market, so they licensed out their consoles to Korean companies. Samsung took Sega's Master System, which was then released in April 1989 as the "Samsung Gam*Boy". Most of the games were released on Korea on their original languages, being Phantasy Star the first game to be fully translated to Hangul. One year later, the Mega Drive arrived with the name of "Super Gam*Boy", having on 1992 all Samsung consoles renamed to "Alladin Boy". Samsung also produced its own game, a shoot 'em up called "Uju Geobukseon". Hyundai was the responsible for the releasing the NES, named Comboy. However, It didn't have any translated games.

But I remember reading that you basically couldn't find home consoles in Korea for a while and everybody was gaming on PC. 
:confused

heh, well it's kinda like the ique in China - Nintendo had to pass on manufacturing/distribution to a south korean firm to enter the market. That was Hyundai, who marketed their line of Nintendo releases as the Comboy (FC/NES) and Super Comboy (sfc/snes)

aside from a couple of games, all of the Super Comboy releases are the USA versions, with the EU artwork or box (depending on game) in a JP shell or box (depending on game). It's bizarre but awesome. There weren't many releases, but they're all classics:

http://scanlines16.com/en/blog-3/retro-gaming/super-nintendo-super-famicom/supercomboy-english/

so yeah a neat oddity, but the prices are going up. I was lucky as fuck to get Yoshi's Island for £20.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Just got my OSSC and a pack of several SCART cables in the mail! Still waiting for my NES/Duo/N64 RGB mods to be completed, and for the gscartsw to become available again... gonna be out all weekend so I won't be able to test till Sun night though :(

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 02:13:24 PM by tiesto »
^_^

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
Castlevania Legends though... :yuck

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー

I hear it's nothing too great but now I own all 3 of the GB games CIB... next up I wanna get Turtles 2 and 3 for GB...
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

It was a great game
spoiler (click to show/hide)
for me to have sold off years later for a tidy profit.
[close]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 10:25:45 PM by bork »
ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

I hear it's nothing too great but now I own all 3 of the GB games CIB... next up I wanna get Turtles 2 and 3 for GB...

CIB nice, Castlevania is alright kinda jank awesome soundtrack Castlevania 2 is pretty great even better soundtrack hell one of the best Castlevania OST's.

paprikastaude

Nice cover though :trumps

Shuri

the ossc is the best purchase you can do right now. I don't get people who still want to even fuck with those damn sony PVM monitors  :doge

I use mine with my arcade supergun, and my snes/sat/genesis/sms and it works perfect. AND IT LOOKS AMAZING.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
Went to the Seattle Retro Gaming Expo today. Pretty crappy vendor turnout but I got a Guncon 2 and like......all of the Namco Guncon games. Time to whip out that CRT boyeeee

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
All I have left for CRT is a Samsung GXTV with composite inputs.  Maybe it's time to look into the OSSC...
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
the ossc is the best purchase you can do right now. I don't get people who still want to even fuck with those damn sony PVM monitors  :doge

I use mine with my arcade supergun, and my snes/sat/genesis/sms and it works perfect. AND IT LOOKS AMAZING.

Got some questions about the OSSC and Saturn/SMS -

Do you notice really obvious jailbars on the SMS?

Do you notice a loud static sound when playing Saturn?

I am using the cables from retrogamingcables.co.uk and have these issues...
^_^