Author Topic: The Orville  (Read 13167 times)

Bamelin

The Orville
« on: October 25, 2017, 02:13:01 AM »
Anyone watching?  It's a zillion times better than Discovery

I mean like look

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Re: The Orville
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 02:16:03 AM »
Yeah, we've been talking about it in the Star Trek thread to piss off himu  :-*

Bamelin

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 03:10:04 AM »
To be fair The Orville deserves its own thread.  To seperate it from the shit That's Discovery

etiolate

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 03:11:07 AM »
I never thought I'd like a Seth MacFarlan Star Strek but he does ST pretty well.

Bamelin

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 03:16:18 AM »
I never thought I'd like a Seth MacFarlan Star Strek but he does ST pretty well.

Right?  It's like STG up to Voyager.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 03:57:06 AM »
He's a huge fan and has spoken at length about TOS/TNG before at cons and stuff and how important they were to him personally so I knew he wouldn't completely let it be schlock.

IIRC, he considers himself more of a Trekkie than Star Wars fan but Family Guy chose to recreate Star Wars because it fit the format better and was more easily known by the broader audience. If you watch the early seasons of FG they do more Trek related gags than when Seth came back in less of a day-to-day role. But yet they also had that episode with the whole TNG cast, and Patrick Stewart did voices on both FG and AD! for years.

Himu

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 04:01:35 AM »
Yeah, we've been talking about it in the Star Trek thread to piss off himu  :-*

You're not pissing me off? I'm going to start watching it soon. Are you getting me mixed up with someone else?
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 04:28:58 AM »
You're not pissing me off? I'm going to start watching it soon. Are you getting me mixed up with someone else?
wow calm down, you sound hysterical

Bamelin

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 11:42:55 PM »
Tonight's episode was awesome, straight up Reddit and shame culture condemnation.

jiji

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 12:05:33 AM »
I think this show is pretty okay. It's a love letter to Star Trek, but the writing is kind of shitty sometimes and gets in the way. I really want it to succeed, though. I want it to be smart enough to accept what previous Treks did and go beyond them rather than just being a pastiche with Macfarlane's humor.

Haven't seen tonight's episode yet.
OTL

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 12:13:59 AM »
Yeah, it's great. I'll eventually catch up, but the first three episodes were really great, and very much Star Trek but with humor. And not a crazy amount of humor.

Apparently Seth went to CBS and asked to take a  stab at the license, but they demurred. So he did this off-brand version with Fox. It works just fine.

Pwnz

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 01:27:09 AM »
Show has gradually gone from a silly parody to a serious modern take to Star Trek TNG with comedic relief.

Pwnz

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 02:26:42 AM »
I felt like the last episode was quite the extended metaphor for neoGAF.

:ryker :takei :quark :lucas :letsfukk

benjipwns

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 02:49:52 AM »
i have to imagine it gets a second season, its ratings are pretty decent all things considered, those renewal/cancel sites all seem be giving it an above average shot at it

i think that will be the interesting part of the show more than this first season, what direction they take it in having kinda bounced around this season

i don't mean like it becomes serious or anything, i have to assume it'll always be a homage-comedy but mostly whether or not they start to play things more straight in-world instead of some of the more deliberate setups and jokes, it's generally funnier when it does that already

also i wonder if he'll grow a beard for it, just for a gag

:ryker

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »
The Orville s01e07

I liked this episode a lot! Favourite so far and super topical to everyone on the net.

*SPOILERS*
spoiler (click to show/hide)
The plot is essentially a capatilist world where social media is real life, everyone is walking around with up and downvote buttons on their chest and people are seemingly frivolously up/down voting others with dire effects - The first 5 mins shows a guy getting his brain fried cause he reached 10 mil downvotes. Essentially our social media witch find thingies circa 201X. 

The musical cues, lighting, acting and show structure continues to channel TNG era Trek and I'm happy to so say it still works! The actor that plays John Lamar (J Lee) didnt really have much to do in previous eps but make bro jokes, in this ep he had a lot to do and really won me over.

I liked how the solution to this episode's problem was to spread #fakenews :lol

Tidbits - The concept of money is foreign to the orville universe, as seen when the captain has to explain to the crew what money is and why they need it they also seem to have their own version of the prime directive
[close]

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 02:12:39 PM »
Last episode was fun enough. The concept is good if not one of those snapshots of society at any one given point and time that trek from any era is known for.

The execution on the moral dilemma and main crisis was a bit weak. I think Orville struggles with that quite a bit but at least it attempts the plot lines.

ThePhantomBlot

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 04:15:32 PM »
Season 2 confirmed!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/orville-renewed-season-2-at-fox-1054275

I’ve been really enjoying the show, so this news has me very pleased.
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 04:19:17 PM »
fuck yeah, seaking!

Bamelin

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 12:19:02 AM »
Another AMAZING character development episode.  This show is SO much better than Discovery they aren't even in the same league.

CHOW CHOW

• Iconzzzzz.... zzzzz
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 08:09:13 AM »
Now that a season 2 is confirmed I wanna give it a shot.  Fox is terrible with cancellations.
hey

CHOW CHOW

• Iconzzzzz.... zzzzz
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 08:18:12 AM »
If I loved BSG am I gonna like this?  Doesn’t have to be BSG, but in general if someone who considers BSG to be a GOAT level show would he like Orville
hey

machine

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 08:31:42 AM »
I've seen so many positive comments about the show I decided to watch last night's episode. I wasn't that impressed. It felt like a season 1 episode of STNG. Can anyone recommend an episode that has a better chance of selling me on the show?

benjipwns

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 08:33:03 AM »
If I loved BSG am I gonna like this?  Doesn’t have to be BSG, but in general if someone who considers BSG to be a GOAT level show would he like Orville
Um, well, it's a comedy. And TNG homage.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 08:37:14 AM »
The only sci-fi I can think to recommend a BSG fan is The Expanse.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2017, 08:48:18 AM »
So this is like an actual show and not just a parody?

Lol yeah, a (semi-)serious Seth MacFarlane show weirds me out. But if it's any good, I'm gonna take a look.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2017, 09:04:35 AM »
It's really good fellows, please watch

etiolate

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 10:22:08 AM »
It's TNG + Seth's humor.

From what I've seen, it appears that teleporters are not a part of this Trek-ish universe. Wonder why they chose to leave them out. Makes for a lot of shuttle shots.

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 02:54:26 PM »
i thought the first few episodes were hit or miss in regards to the tone.. felt too jokey but as the season has gone in it seems to have found its groove. season 2 will be great if the trajectory continues

Stoney Mason

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2017, 03:30:05 AM »
Good on them for getting a second season.

Episode was meh.

Bamelin

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2017, 03:38:57 AM »
This weeks episode had done hardcore things to say about sexual assault.  Or not say? 

kingv

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2017, 04:29:52 AM »
I thought the early reviews were that this show was terrible.

etiolate

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2017, 12:29:55 PM »
The sex thing is weird, since his aura intoxicates them.

The critic reviews are negative. The audience reviews are good.

Himu

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2017, 01:26:39 PM »
Want to watch but can't afford even Hulu rn :(
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2017, 03:35:02 PM »
This episode was a pure comedy episode so that probably determines whether you like it or not. The comedy of Orville isn't the strongest bit of it for me, so this episode was one that wasn't for me.

I also hope that's the last time they bring up the the affair that happened for seasons. Enough of that plotline.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2017, 03:37:29 PM »

Too moral for this world.  :'(

Himu

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2017, 04:19:17 PM »

Too moral for this world.  :'(

Moral?
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2017, 04:25:16 PM »
Just saying there is about 5 to 10 ways to watch any movie or tv show nowadays and I'm not including torrenting in that.

Himu

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2017, 04:29:28 PM »
I'm not sure if I can afford buying it from iTunes either. Piracy is my only option and I like to support things.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2017, 04:36:13 PM »
Sure. I hear ya

etiolate

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2017, 04:46:46 PM »
It's on broadcast TV if anyone still has that.

Himu

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2017, 07:21:17 PM »

It also means starting from like episode 8 if any can use their brain to realize why someone might not wanna do that in 2017 because they're not a dumbass
IYKYK

Bamelin

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2017, 01:54:44 AM »

It also means starting from like episode 8 if any can use their brain to realize why someone might not wanna do that in 2017 because they're not a dumbass

Actually, since each episode is self contained, starting wherever isn't as big a deal as it would be in a serial show.

ThePhantomBlot

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2017, 02:37:25 AM »
Are you in the US, Cindi? All the episodes aired so far are up for streaming on the Fox website:

https://www.fox.com/the-orville/

I think you might need to sign up with a profile for this one, but it seems to be free.

There's also the "Fox Now" app. It's got ads, but all the episodes are there as well and it doesn't seem like a profile is needed.
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

ThePhantomBlot

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2017, 05:31:09 AM »
Some random details:

-Although 13 episodes were filmed for season 1, Fox is cutting the season off at episode 12. Episode 13 is going to be held back, and instead become a part of season 2.

Source: http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-orville-season-1-episode-count/

-Seth MacFarlane recently announced that there’s a book called “The World of the Orville” on the way. The book will offer concept art, costume/set details and behind the scenes info for the series. I’ll admit that I was hoping for something closer to those old ‘Trek technical manuals, but I’ll still take it.

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/sethmacfarlane/status/927960995124748288

Edit: whoa, I wasn’t expecting that preview image for the tweet. Is that something I can turn off?
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2017, 11:32:57 PM »
Last weeks episode with Rob Lowe was weird.
That motherfucker was raping people, but everyone just silently went with it, there wasnt even a second of pause in any of the characters. I had hoped at the end they would address it in some way, instead it became about the 'cheating' incident between Ed and Kelly.
[close]

Watching tonight's episode later  8)

Stoney Mason

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2017, 12:34:20 AM »
Tonight was a good episode.

It was also the approach I wish the show always took with its humour as compared to say last episode.

Small jokes like with the people in costumes waiting to use the holodeck.

Bortus is the funniest character on the show because less is more.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2017, 10:08:15 AM »
Amazing ep of The Orville this week, glad the comedy was toned down. Alien inspiration :rejoice

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2017, 06:04:54 PM »
Alara :lawd

etiolate

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2017, 07:44:45 PM »
Alara :lawd

Running down that hallway with the rifle   :checkit

bonus
[close]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:59:38 PM by etiolate »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2017, 04:19:50 PM »
Good solid episode. The actual plot mechanics of the space situation were really just an excuse to do character building for the crew but it was handled well. The humour was on point in that episode as well.

The acting on the show is often a little wonky if I'm being generous but the intent and direction of the moment is more important sometimes than just pure execution.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2017, 05:27:59 PM »
Saw the majority rule, my first orville ep. Pretty good

etiolate

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2017, 07:13:50 PM »
I am pretty sure there was a TNG episode where they came across a 2d anomaly that caused troubles. However, Stoney's right in that this was more about expanding some characters than the speculative scifi stuff.

Though I wonder how they'll fill the pilot seat. I do like that they're keeping up character plot lines, such as the kids and Isaac being pals.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2017, 09:22:20 PM »
Would be fun if they fill the pilot seat with a new guest star that dies in some stupid way every week lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2017, 04:13:10 AM »
Would be fun if they fill the pilot seat with a new guest star that dies in some stupid way every week lol

That's Harmon's other show, HarmonQuest!

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2017, 11:44:58 AM »
Last episode: Horrible.

Stealing from Next Generation: Not a good idea.

Pilots becoming chief engineers: Dumb.

Please don't bother explaining to me the pilot is a genius and etc. The two jobs are vastly different and there's got to be a learning curve. Plus, F- the other engineers who worked as engineers to do engineering because the pilot's taking over.

etiolate

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2017, 11:57:01 AM »
Maybe they'll revisit it later down the road. I was surprised there wasn't more conflict over the decision. The underlings just went along with it. And that Yaphit fellow, yeesh. I mean, where's his spine?

:beetlejuice

Stoney Mason

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2017, 11:52:36 PM »
Didn't care for the episode. The idea is good. The execution was extremely poor as the main drivers of the episodes were the incompetence of the crew and a simplistic punch-out ending to make everything okay. With better writing and execution you could have a really good prime directive episode. As it stands this would be a sub-par prime directive trek episode.

I'm not the biggest fan in general of the relationship stuff between ed and kelly but this was probably the episode that handled it the best without either side suddenly becoming a petty love-sick teenager.

As far as the overall show, I enjoyed the first season of the Orville. It's a show I will continue to watch. I hope it improves. There is no doubt it is an entertaining show. And it could safely exist on what it is currently and be a fun show for however long it runs. My complaint is that it could be a really good show if the writing and execution improve in general and it finds its own voice. There were a number of episodes this season that were bold but I couldn't help but feel like the execution let down the premise. Tonight being a perfect example of that. It still feels like such a TNG clone that I think that's limiting. I understand the nostalgia and appeal of that but I think better writing can retain some of those elements and step out and be something more fresh. With things that just don't ape TNG episodes. I think their aspirations should be higher.

I think the show also needs an arc. I'm not saying it needs to become so serial that every episode leads into the next episode or anything. But it does kind of need seasonal directional as it continues. Arcs give the show someplace to go. Someplace to grow. And lessons to learn that actually effect things. A larger frame to the show could help define themselves as something other than just a funny TNG clone.

I think the humour improved as it went on. Early on it was super hit or miss. Mostly miss imo. But I think the jokes and humour style found a better rhythm. There are jokes that seem so perfect when they land. And some that seem so cringey. Part of that is the nature of comedy itself. But part of it is just being more strict about the selection process of what is a good joke that's appropriate to the tone they want to set.

I think the strongest piece of the show is the crew. This is the one thing they've probably done maybe better than any existing trek show has ever in a first season, I think everybody fits and everybody has a role and a distinct personality. And the democracy of the show to give everybody a piece of the pie is laudable. I hope they continue that. Despite whatever sketchy acting slips through, as long as the honest effort is put through to characterize, I'm cool with it.

Continue to focus on the characters. Beef up the quality and execution of the plot. Be more selective with the humour. Give me some arcs. That's my take on the first season of the Orville. For a first season though on a show that was initially beat up on by the critics, I think they did a good job. I was doubtful of Seth Macfarlane and the show originally. I was scared it was going to be family guy in space. It's better than that. It's better than the critics lashed on it about. And it has potential to get better. That's all good stuff. The best compliment I can give is that I'll miss it until Season 2. There is a little Orville hole in my viewing schedule so I'm excited for Season 2.

etiolate

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »
I also don't care that much about the Ed/Kelly stuff. It best served the show as a comedic reference rather than a plot, but perhaps I am less keen on romance plots than other viewers.

The incompetence of the crew is a factor I am not sure about. TNG's crew was based on high competence. I think for Orville's approach to work it must make the lack of competence come naturally from the characters and not from lack of attention to detail in writing. I think they handled this well with Lt. Kitan, but I am not sure they handle it well with Kelly. Ed and Kelly get drunk and hungover, leads to problems when finding a planet that exists in two different time lines/realities. Okay, that feels like a character based screw-up. However, the handling of everything after that makes me wonder if its natural for the characters or a product of writing. For example, they researched Kelly on the planet when it hit the computer age. Alright, then why not research the Abbot they met the last time? Find out what went wrong? Nah, they just skip all over that and proceed to the next big move. Feels a bit like sloppy writing.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2017, 06:54:42 PM »
I don't mind incompetence from the crew. But it has to feel like its baked into the show. The crew of Galaxy Quest felt incompetent but that was kind of the premise of the movie. They were completely fish out of water.

The Orville crew doesn't necessarily feel like its supposed to be that. Inexperienced in some cases. Sure. Human and fallible. Sure. Even sometimes childish. Sure also.

But everybody just felt dumb last night. It's like when the writers know they want to get from Plot point A to B to C but they don't care about how they get there. They are more concerned about hitting those beats than setting up the transition elements to make sure it flows nicely and makes sense. That's when it feels like poor writing. And the Orville has that flaw quite a bit.

Also this was funny

etiolate

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2017, 07:19:11 PM »
Bortas gets a solid laugh every episode.