Author Topic: The Return of Goinio: Pillars Of Eternity Thread for NON GAMERS  (Read 5374 times)

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
The Return of Goinio: Pillars Of Eternity Thread for NON GAMERS
« on: October 31, 2017, 02:41:04 PM »
I'm terrible at this game, please help me git gud boritos.

My first 10 hours were pretty terrible. I ended up missing a bunch of party members so it was just Aloth and I getting smashed by wolves and bandits and trolls over and over. Never rested at the Black Hound in Gilded Vale so I missed Eder. Somehow walked right past Durance. With no tank or support classes, I was having a bad time. I can only imagine how many reloads I've had.

Eventually I relented and used a guide to see what why I missed so many characters. That helped me get on track and fill out my party but I still feel like I'm in way over my head. I've found the Stronghold and and went far enough south to get Sagani. The next area had some stupid strong enemies so I headed back north to Raedric's place. Snuck in and I'm now fighting zombies and monsters in the dungeon. Some questions...

What is the best way to use the Chanter? Can they be specced for melee? Seems like the class has the potential to be really good but I'm not really sure where I should put him.
How many front line fighters should I have? I was using a custom sword and shield guy alongside Eder and it was working pretty well. I swapped my rando fighter out for Sagani and now I feel a lot more vulnerable. Is two rangers a bad idea?
Is there better weapons and armor eventually? Could just be because I'm still so early but most of the gear seems to be the same with similar stats.

There are so many things I don't understand. Just figuring out how to make custom formations and getting the AI on each character to not burn through their per rest powers helped but I'm still at square one here.

Any tips would be much appreciated. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Late to the Party: Pillars of Eternity
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 05:20:47 PM »
You should have at least one armored tank and support fighter on the front line. Even better if you can manage to get three party members that can fight at the front without getting torched, though that's a bit more difficult to manage.

Make sure you're doing as many side quests as you can, the extra XP and loot/money is worth the time [and side quests are generally pretty good anyway].

You want to be pausing combat a lot to readjust and optimize what you're party members are all doing, especially early on or in more difficult battles. Don't rely too much on auto-attacks and AI to get you through.
dog

Let's Cyber

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 08:11:21 AM »
Ok, I created a Paladin at the inn for better frontline support/healing, at least until I find a named Party member to swap in. Seems to be working for the better with him and Eder together, fights are a lot more manageable. 
You want to be pausing combat a lot to readjust and optimize what you're party members are all doing, especially early on or in more difficult battles. Don't rely too much on auto-attacks and AI to get you through.
You're not kidding. The Raedric battle was brutal but I think I have a better understanding of buffs and debuffs now. Took me 17 attempts to finally kill him.  :doge
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:34:29 AM by Let's Cyber »

Freyj

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 01:06:29 PM »
Food buffs, buffs in general are crucial to a lot of the more difficult fights. Raedric was probably the first fight I completely loaded my dudes out with buffs.

My OCDedness prevented me from encountering this: but I would imagine the game punishes not exploring every inch of the maps / side quests.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 03:30:24 AM »
Food buffs, buffs in general are crucial to a lot of the more difficult fights. Raedric was probably the first fight I completely loaded my dudes out with buffs.

My OCDedness prevented me from encountering this: but I would imagine the game punishes not exploring every inch of the maps / side quests.
Yeah, I missed a few new areas south of Gilded Vale by not fully exploring and had to backtrack. I think I got everything for act 1 though. I just got to Defiance Bay.

Game is really good so far despite my rocky beginning.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
The Return of Goinio: Pillars Of Eternity Thread for NON GAMERS
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 06:53:56 PM »
So I want to buy Pillars Of Eternity but I'm curious whether Steam has cyber Monday deals. It's $17 now but as a cultured non virgin man I'm not comfortable buying games for much more than $10 unless I have to.  :doge
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 08:28:36 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Himu

Re: ATTN Nerds: I am buying a vidya game
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 07:05:20 PM »
If you know what cyber Monday is then you're a nerd. You nerd.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 07:19:35 PM »
definitely still a virgin
fat

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 07:30:23 PM »
Sounds like I should just buy it now then.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 07:57:13 PM »

Steam's updated their sales, WYSIWYG when the sale launches now a days. So yes, don't bother waiting. Just grab it if you're wanting it. I doubt the Winter sale during Christmas/New Years time is gonna have it go lower.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 08:06:36 PM »
what username said, just grab it now

(idk of the 17 dollar version comes with the 2 expansions though so keep that in mind)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 08:37:04 PM »

Check GMG for it:
https://www.greenmangaming.com/search/Pillars%20Of%20Eternity

It's $14.99 and they have a coupon still valid (GMGBLACKFRIDAY) for an additional 15% off.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 10:05:07 PM »
Yeah Steam probably won't go any lower.

I bought the Expansion for $25 like 3 days before the sale and then it was $15 and I was like fuck, but then whatever I like Obsidian and don't mind supporting them a little.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 11:13:38 AM »
I like how even the most debased and disgusting geek can feel himself superior to others of his ilk just because he managed to dip his dick in a pussy once or twice :lol

Nerd hierarchies  :neogaf
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:51:46 AM by desert punk »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 03:48:42 PM »
Not going to a Gamestop to ogle the alternative chick behind the counter?

Not a true gamer!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 03:57:28 PM »
Not going to a Gamestop to ogle the alternative chick behind the counter?

Not a true gamer!

I was trying to find something to post in response to this and uh...you find some interesting things in Google searches.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/you-walk-into-gamestop-and-this-girl-waves-at-you.453731927/

« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 04:02:04 PM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 04:17:12 PM »
I had a spare key from a bundle for pillars. I just pm’ed it.

I don’t believe it has been redeemed, but I am not 100% sure.

Phoenix Dark

Re: The Return of Goinio: Pillars Of Eternity Thread for NON GAMERS
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2017, 08:33:57 PM »
Bought it last night before seeing your PM breh.

This game is pretty good. I really like the music; very immersive and atmospheric, which is perfect for long play periods. I created a dwarf fighter and named him Goinio, of course. Playing on normal, didn't have any issues until I did this quest where you gotta kill a big ass bear. Died a couple times before remembering how to equip potions.
:snoop

But then I find out the nicca who asked me to kill the bear and avenge his friend actually set his friend up. To take his wife.
 :beli

THEN I find the dude ages later and turns out the wife was abused by her husband, and that's why she wanted to run away with the other guy. So I felt bad about going on a revenge quest just to help a domestic abuser.

Still killed the guy and the wife tho

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2017, 08:48:35 PM »
fucking dwarves

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 08:58:33 PM »
only people with severe mental trauma ever choose dwarves
pcp

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 10:12:37 PM »
Around Drawves, never relax.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 11:07:18 PM »
This cool blonde dude joined my group  :-[

I like how things are slowly unraveled via dialogue. When I first started playing I felt like I just wanted to read a quick rundown of the lore but now I appreciate how it's spoon fed. Looking forward to having more time to sit down and really play this.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 05:25:45 AM »
It tries very hard to be that Baldur’s Gate successor everyone wanted, to a point that it’s actually a detriment. Even though Obsidian said they wanted to give it their own spin, in the end they didn’t really stray that far from the clichéd Forgotten Realms setting. But unlike BG 2 it’s just not as engaging. It’s kinda boring actually, and that’s also because of the clunky and self-indulgent writing.

There is also way too much combat and a lot of it is cumbersome with all the micromanagement, but I realize that that’s what many backers wanted from a return to the Infinity games, so I can’t fault Obsidian for that.

Mind you, it’s not a bad game and I backed PE2. I just hope the setting and the writing in general will be a bit more interesting and engaging than what I saw in PE1.

This cool blonde dude joined my group  :-[

Yeah Eder is cool. He's the only party member whose name I can remember. The others weren't so hot, except maybe that Inuit chick. I think I liked her.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:46:27 AM by desert punk »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 11:55:21 AM »
I like Icewind Dale more than BG.

Some of the writing feels repetitive in terms of how certain things are presented. For instance when you glance into someone's soul/past, the writing feels like it's following a template. I like the dialogue though.

Bebpo

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 12:04:15 PM »
Oh, you can avoid the gold name NPCs. They are stories written for backers and have no lore or anything to do with the Pillars world/story.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 12:44:03 PM »
Oh, you can avoid the gold name NPCs. They are stories written for backers and have no lore or anything to do with the Pillars world/story.

Ah. I keep thinking they're potential companions.
:dead

I like the combat overall but so far it's been a breeze (outside of the bear). Looking forward to it getting harder, which will presumably require some strategy. I'm about to do a temple so I'd expect there will be spellcasters, which should make combat harder.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2017, 01:48:48 PM »

Then I guess you're going to like this game more than me. I think many of the peeps who were working on this game also worked on the Icewind Dale games.

Bebpo

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 02:11:37 PM »

Then I guess you're going to like this game more than me. I think many of the peeps who were working on this game also worked on the Icewind Dale games.

Well, Josh Sawyer who was the lead designer & director of Pillars was the designer of Icewind Dale and lead designer of Icewind Dale II so that makes a lot of sense.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I haven't played any Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale so my only frame of reference for IE classic rpgs are Fallout 1 & 2 ^^; But I really like Pillars!
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 02:27:49 PM »
Finished the first dungeon. As expected the difficulty ramped up. The shadows were tough but nothing too crazy once I realized I can't let Aloth's bitch ass get touched.
:snoop

Eder is cool. I'm not super stoked about my party composition right now though. I have two warriors and a wizard. Hoping to get another caster next, or a melee character with some range/magic.

Now I'm trying to complete some random quests. I have the Lord Raedric quest, but got destroyed when I tried entering his keep. Guess I need a bigger squad first  :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 03:25:20 PM »
Your playthrough sounds a lot like mine! Yeah Aloth would keep dying in that dungeon for me. Was kinda annoying. The next party member makes a HUGE difference in combat and changes the entire gameplay/dungeon-crawling. Most people don't do that first dungeon apparently until they have a 4 person team, but I did it with those 3 like you.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2017, 12:25:19 PM »
Got sidetracked by Odyssey and Horizon DLC but I'm back in.

Finishing up the first part of Defiance Bay, my team feels solid now. I've been overwhelmed by sheer numbers a few times (the trolls and mushrooms in the Catacombs in Defiance Bay but I managed to survive anyway) but having two frontline fighters feels like the way to go. I do find myself using chokepoints in a lot of cases. It's an effective strategy but sometimes it does feel kind of cheap. Both with Raedric and in the Temple of Woedica, I pulled everything into a doorway with my ranged units behind to slowly whittle down the number of enemies.

In most cases I've had the option of settling things peacefully, just killing everything or first settling things peacefully and then murdering everyone.  :lol  And in most cases it's morally ambiguous in a way I find to much more satisfying relative to a lot of modern day RPGs. This game really shows how lazy and formulaic most studios (bioware  :wag) have become in terms of quest design and choice. With PoE feel like I'm playing a role and not just picking between GOOD GUY CHOICE and ASSHOLE CHOICE.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2017, 12:28:20 PM »
There may or maynot be another new PoE thread on the Bore for filthy casuls.

By default that makes this thread for cool, hardcore players. Eat shit, PD.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2017, 01:55:04 PM »
Durance joined the squad. The intro kept noting how ugly he looks but not gonna lie, he just looks like a certain Bore poster to me  :doge

Can he used ranged weapons? He gets wrecked pretty easily, even by just a couple hits.

I completed a blacksmith quest and am heading back to Gilded Vale. However I should note I had the hardest fight so far. These two big ass tree/rock monsters were tough as fuck. They kept stunning or snaring my melee. Without Durance the fight would be impossible; his heals saved my ass.

How does gear progression work? So far I keep finding weapons that aren't really noteworthy or much better than the starting weapons I had. Armor is even worse. Most of my squad might as well be naked.

Bebpo

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2017, 04:16:28 PM »
Durance can use ranged weapons. Pretty much everyone can use everything in the game, the only difference is if you get the passive talent for the weapon (knight/noble/ruffian) it gives +6 accuracy for those types of weapons.

Also I never played D&D, don't understand anything about dice rolls, but looking at the math (if you click on the attack in the status window it'll show the math including the dice roll), does accuracy not just mean hit chance but also mean damage? Like if you have way higher accuracy do you hit + do higher damage? If that's the case, the +6 accuracy would also add some to the damage with those weapons.

Gear progression is interesting, generally the base stats of any weapon/armor you're going to find from the start of the game until the end of the game isn't going to be much different. So a sword at the start might do 14-20 damage and a sword at the end of the game might do 14-20 damage. But the difference is the number and quality of the enchantments. You can add various "builds" of enchantment onto a weapon like "fine/exceptional/damage" which give it certain stat bonuses (and cost crafting items + money). These might be like damage +15% or accuracy + 10, then you can add base stat adds of +1 or +2 to any base stat to the weapon, then you can add on elemental damage of +25%. For armor you can add buffs towards the types of damage.

Now that's all self-enchanting weapons/armor. What happens is as you loot stuff/get drops you'll get weapons that are pre-enchanted and have a bunch of additional effects + other unique effects. Silver colored gear just has some extra enchant stats, gold are the rare weapons/armors/accessories and not only do they have additional enchant stats, but they include unique talents like single use spells or skills that activate on being critical hit, etc... so you'll get more and more rare weapons with the same base stat of 14-20, but with +30 damage, +15 accuracy +15% corrode damage, and +3 might on critical or something.

And then in the 2nd half of the game/expansions you start getting soul bound weapons. These are white colored and once you equip them on a player no other player can ever use them. They have really good stats and they level up after you meet specific requirements (ie, kill 300 enemies with this weapon to unlock tier 2 of stats/abilities) and so they get stronger and stronger and are pretty badass in the end.

Also lore-wise, the rare/spellbound equipment all have stories if you right-click them which is cool.

Oh and how armor works, all armor slows down your action speed. The more heavy the armor the more reduced your action speed is. Like heavy armor is -50%. Armor has DR damage reduction. When an enemy hits for 15 damage, if you have 12 DR, you only take 3 damage. Same applies for enemies, so if they have 20 DR and you are hitting for 19 DR, you won't do any damage. So for big or armored enemies you want to use either 2H weapons which are slow but high damage or more realistically you just have your mages debuff the enemy DR so you can do damage. Normal enemies don't have too much DR so with a 2H character it can make more sense to dual-wield where you alternate the single handed weapons at a faster action speed and do more DPS but lower damage hits than a single handed 2H weapon. Also, some classes have skills that reduce armor speed reductions like Fighters reduce it by 15 or 25% so you can wear heavier armor and still have decent speed. Dexterity also is the stat that effects speed of actions.

As you can see, the combat-side/character-build-side of the game has some good depth. I find it pretty fun!

Bebpo

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2017, 04:23:09 PM »
3 Pillars threads for 3 people playing Pillars is kinda overkill I think. Let's merge all Pillars talk into PD's thread. I'm replying to your post there.

Bebpo

Re: The Return of Goinio: Pillars Of Eternity Thread for EVERYONE
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2017, 04:31:08 PM »
Ok, gonna merge my Pillars talk in the What are you Playing thread and Let's Cyber's Pillars thread into this so there's just 1 Pillars thread since 3 of us are playing.

Got sidetracked by Odyssey and Horizon DLC but I'm back in.

Finishing up the first part of Defiance Bay, my team feels solid now. I've been overwhelmed by sheer numbers a few times (the trolls and mushrooms in the Catacombs in Defiance Bay but I managed to survive anyway) but having two frontline fighters feels like the way to go. I do find myself using chokepoints in a lot of cases. It's an effective strategy but sometimes it does feel kind of cheap. Both with Raedric and in the Temple of Woedica, I pulled everything into a doorway with my ranged units behind to slowly whittle down the number of enemies.

In most cases I've had the option of settling things peacefully, just killing everything or first settling things peacefully and then murdering everyone.  :lol  And in most cases it's morally ambiguous in a way I find to much more satisfying relative to a lot of modern day RPGs. This game really shows how lazy and formulaic most studios (bioware  :wag) have become in terms of quest design and choice. With PoE feel like I'm playing a role and not just picking between GOOD GUY CHOICE and ASSHOLE CHOICE.

Eh, I don't think chokepoints are cheap. Especially later on when they become essential tactics for large fights with a ton of mages firing AoEs. If I'm struggling on a fight I'll usually look for a bridge/door to run back to and build a tank wall and take on the enemies in small numbers as they approach. Usually when I trigger the fight and try to run and do this like 1-2 of my characters get engaged with the enemy group and die horribly so like 4 people make it back and I do the fight with 4 but it still often goes better than doing the fight with 6 surrounded by 10 hardcore enemies.

And yeah the choices are great. Very Black Isle/Obsidian. I like that a lot of the game is grey. I always player Law/Reasonable/Benevolent in rpgs but sometimes I gotta make hard choices like do I let someone walk away unpunished for something bad that they feel bad for and have atoned or do I kill them/jail them. Sometimes the choice you really want isn't in the list and I find those are the morally toughest situations when you are forced to pick from choices you don't agree with on all sides. Those times are kinda bad design because realistically in roleplaying you'd cover all the potential player choices, but it is what it is and I also enjoy the game not letting you always get what you want and forcing you to make some tough decisions you can't go back on.

I'm generally the type of "well, I won't kill you but I won't let you get away, you should go to jail for a bit and atone" lawful softy, but sometimes I don't get that choice and I end up killing people for justice over letting them walk if they've committed murder or something even the circumstances were understandable /shrug

Bebpo

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2017, 04:33:05 PM »
Since I'm merging the threads, just reposting my latest progression in here:

Finished Pillars of Eternity - The White March I - On hard, I haven't felt anything like that since the first time I played SMT3 Nocturne. Was one of the toughest and most brutal rpg experiences of 30 years of gaming for me. Was doable as long as I took it slow and I learned so much about the combat system, build types and abilities through it since I had to in order to survive. The story choices felt kinda brutal too. Lots of tough stat checks and I'd often get to the end of a quest with 3-5 choices blocked out because even though my stats are good, they didn't meet any of those exact builds. So sometimes quest tales didn't go the way I wanted in The White March, but that's good roleplaying, sometimes things just don't work out in life. Brutal questing.

Took me about 20 hours and felt really substantial and great. It's definitely more of a dungeon crawler and it was only the final dungeon which took me like 4-5 hours where it started to feel a bit tedious with so many battles and most of them are challenging so you can't just get tired of it and auto-power through. I liked the story and the quests and characters are good deal. The art was great and the music for this game is some of the best I've heard, adds so much to the areas. Like Durgan's Battery outside map had this kinda thumping mysterious music that kept you on your toes.

I used all 3 of the White March new companions because I like role-playing like that. Unfortunately it meant running with 4 melee characters + priest + cipher gunner which might've made it even tougher than it needed to be. There were only two fights in the expansion that were so unbelievably hard I almost bailed. One I sorted did. It was the 2nd tier Bounty in Longwatch Falls

the Flames of something, bunch of super mages and barbarians and the mages spam so much AoE stuff non-stop my team just could not survive the status effect/AoE damage/summons onslaught. After like 30 mins of retries with different tactics I bailed, changed out 2 of the 4 melee characters for Wizard and Druid and did my own AoE spell casting to wear down the enemies with status effects & damage while buffing and healing to barely survive.
[close]

The other fight was the final boss of The White March I. Fight was insane. After 3-4 tries I was gonna call it unbeatable with my party setup and thought I'd need to leave the dungeon, change in Aloth the Wizard for some Frost spells/DR AoE debuffs, and run back through the whole dungeon again to the boss fight, but on my 5th try somehow I kept surviving (Zahua was able to tank like 2 of the annoying caster enemies all on his own and survive with like no healing and take out melee enemies that flanked him. Dude is a BEAST) and eventually got through the fight. Was nice to beat it, but yeah one of the toughest fights. Seems kind of bullshit if you don't have a Wizard/Druid on you, but oh well.

Finished it up and went back to my castle and hit lvl.13, nice to start getting some of the expansion level cap new skills. Next up will be to do the rest of Endless Paths floor 7->15 and then I'll jump into Act III and save WM2 for after that.

Very good expansion.

Bebpo

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2017, 04:49:08 PM »
Ok, so following up on my question about how accuracy works with increasing damage, I googled and found this gamefaq post from 2 years ago:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/687020-pillars-of-eternity/71523727

I've read through the guide and how Misses, Grazes, Hits, and Crits work. This system stresses not only the importance, but the strength of Accuracy.

Explanation: Example Melee Strike -- Game rolls 1-100, adds Accuracy, subtracts Deflection.
<0-15 = Miss. 0% Damage and no Duration of Effects
16-50 = Grazing. 50% Damage and 50% Duration of Effects
51-100 = Hit. 100% Damage and 100% Duration of Effects.
>100 = Crit. 150% Damage and 150% Duration of Effects.

On a weapon with Average of 10 Damage per swing, rolling 1-100 and equal Accuracy and Deflection, you would Deal an Average of 6.75 Damage per swing.

By raising Accuracy up by 10 points above Deflection, you would Deal an Average of 8.25, a 22% increase in Damage. This would mean that 5 points would be 11% Increase.

By raising Accuracy up another 10 points above Deflection, you would Deal an Average of 9.5, a 41% total increase in Damage.

In the highest difficulty, your largest drop in Damage will be Misses, due to enemies having higher Deflection, so this is even more important.

Because the game limits Damage Reduction to only lowering Damage to 20% of it's original value, this means that Grazing strikes will at minimum deal 10% original damage, and Crits will deal at minimum 30% original damage. This by instead means that Weak, but fast weapons without bypassing DR will cripple your Damage Output. This also means that the ~+10 Accuracy boost for using just a single one-handed weapon could be comparable or even better than dual wielding.

Give me your thoughts on this and if you've looked into accuracy as a build focus.

The thing is that I can't follow this poster's math at all with how the bolded works. The only thing I get is the general message "more accuracy = more damage". I get that more accuracy = higher chance of crit = higher damage, but I don't get the math where even non-crit you're doing more DPS (other than having fewer misses). Not having played D&D growing up really fucks with some of my rpg understanding. If I was a kid again I would totally find D&D groups.

Also the last paragraph seems like my understanding of DR is a bit off, if that's right then if you hit 19 DR against a 20 DR armored enemy, instead of doing 0 damage, it'll do 10% damage on a hit, 30% damage on a crit.

Bebpo

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2017, 04:56:10 PM »
Also, I have serious problems with how much I like the whole cast besides Sagani and it's always hard figuring out who to leave behind. Like I didn't have Kana in my party at all for WM1 and I miss all the quips I'm sure he'd make about the areas in the White March and my new companions.

If I was just playing for gameplay, I know exactly what kind of team composition I'd do, but since I like having certain characters on board for their dialogue I have to adapt to unorthodox parties at times.

Sagani is boring though, has no HP and her dog sux

Himu

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2017, 05:43:52 PM »
Play Divinity: Original Sin instead bb
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2017, 06:17:19 PM »
Thanks for the info/help Bebpo.

I haven't really run across any natural choke points but I've done a pretty good job of positioning my two fighters and also ensuring Aloth can hit multiple enemies with aoe

Bebpo

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2017, 07:31:59 PM »
Play Divinity: Original Sin instead bb

@_@

Divinity OS's supposed to be good, but most people who've played both prefer Pillars from my experience, especially on the writing/narrative/choice-side.

Freyj

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2017, 09:36:49 PM »
Give me RTWP any day over turn-based.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2017, 09:39:25 PM »
Original Sin 2 got a lot more praise than the first.

Bebpo

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2017, 09:45:33 PM »

I'm sure the Divinity OS games are great. I will play them soon enough (and Witcher 2/3 and Shadowrun Dragonfall), but for now Pillars is great and I'm satisfied for my wrpg needs. The 60 hours I've played of Pillars and Zelda BoTW are the best games I've played this year.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2017, 10:00:45 PM »

OS2 is better than the first in virtually every way.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2017, 01:08:58 AM »
Managed to do Endless Paths 7-15 today, but stuck on the final boss. Seems almost unfair in how it can wipe my entire party in a single attack 3 seconds into the fight. Had one really good run and got it down to 2 dots of HP left but then it hit everyone prone and then wiped everyone before they could get back up :|

Been reading up on it and there's a few strategies to make it a little easier so I guess I'll do that since I can't beat the fight taking it straight on :| I enjoy the tough fights in this game but stuff like entire party wipe damage in a single hit is not fun.

Bebpo

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2017, 03:12:51 AM »
2 hours and 30 tries later and boss of the Endless Paths is done.

[close]

Ended up turning the AI off and setting EVERYTHING AUTO-PAUSE, which helped a lot for seeing every movement in the battle and being able to react to it.
Still, that fight is bullshit and broken piece of shit because of a random factor: When combat first starts, 90% of the time the boss will go straight into Wing Smash which takes everyone down to 5% health (or kills them) and makes everyone prone. Then the boss kills anyone left alive. Because the boss does this right away, there's not enough time to get buffs/debuffs in beforehand.

So it was like every single attempt I'd have my MC start by rushing the boss trying to knock it prone. This works 10% of the time. If it works, that gives me like 8 seconds now to start actually casting stuff and a chance for the battle. So it was like: retry -> 2 seconds into battle WIPE -> retry 2 seconds into battle WIPE -> etc... and every once in a while I'd knock the boss prone and then fight for a few mins before wiping and then a bunch of instant wipes, etc...etc...until I won.

The only way I could win the fight, because the boss's wing smash is too damaging has huge range (basically anyone who can attack even ranged) and breath is an instant killer, is

To never let the boss get off a single attack the entire fight.

-Which meant having Aloth spam slicken over and over with a raw damage AoE here and there when he can fit it in.
-Having Grieving Mother spam Paralyze over and over while shooting in between to rebuild cipher meter
-Having my MC continually cast bash, bash, dash and bash, dash and bash

But the thing is for all the above attacks taking the boss out of the fight, the accuracy sucks because the boss has insane stats. I enchanted a shit down of stuff vs. beast and for +accuracy and camped for accuracy vs beast bonus and I was still getting like 60-70% accuracy on those. So winning the fight was really just a matter of chance once I got him knocked down the first time and if my accuracy rolls were hitting enough to keep him prone & paralyzed so he couldn't do anything.

To help this I had:
-Durance buff everyone's accuracy and at least protect against the fear aura coming from the dragon
-I don't think Durance has a single spell that could damage the boss since all his stuff is burn and boss is basically immune to that

-Then as long as the boss was out of it I had
-Maneha & Zuhau just doing melee attacks for minor damage. They only did like 20-30 damage per hit, so probably could've had different characters for these two's position. Grieving Mother whose my gunner was doing like 50-60 damage with a shot, but she was mostly just paralyzing so she didn't have time to shoot for damage much.

I guess I also could've respec'd to get the 25% extra damage vs beast on everyone if I took the time.

Actually, the funny thing is the time I won the dragon actually did the wing smash like always but somehow it only hit my MC tank and everyone was just a sliver outside the hit range and hadn't started combat yet.
 So I had everyone rush in and start the prone/paralyze stuff as the boss was recovering from doing the attack before it moved on to the next attack. Pretty much fought for like 5-10 seconds of the fight before my MC even got up again and then I did the dragon strike lowering the boss defenses and beat him just a bit after he recovered from it. So even though on auto-pause the fight was about 5-10 mins, in real time it was probably about 30 seconds from start to the dragon kill.
[close]

Even though it's satisfying to have won without any cheat tactics or anything (well a little bit, I took out the 2 mage adds before the fight, otherwise they'd stun my party and screw everything up), it still wasn't a good fight just because of that initial 3 second wipe 90% of the time bs. It just wasn't fun reloading over and over for the first 2-3 seconds of the fight. Hopefully there are no more bosses that wipe the entire party in the first 2-3 seconds in the game.

Also reading online, apparently they BUFFED the fight after the White March expansions and added a bunch of immunities to counter the strategies people would use (like petrify, which now it's immune to). You don't see super bosses being buffed that often >< Not sure what's the point, so everyone who plays it later has a harder time than the people who played it at launch?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 03:42:50 AM by Bebpo »

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2017, 05:25:05 PM »
This game is like watching fucking paint dry. Play one of the Divinity games (except Beyond) or read a fucking fantasy novel instead. I'd rather play Lionheart than this trash.
reckt

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2017, 11:32:20 PM »
Raedric's Keep is great. First off I like how he has been built up via lore and dialogue since Gilded Vale; this really gives the game a sense of importance. The actual keep is well designed so far. I'm enjoying staging fights, creating choke points with doors and hallways.

Doing a quest to save someone in the dungeon. Hope I get a new companion, I could use one. I've been pretty conservative with Durance, trying not to waste spells. I did give him a bow btw which has been helpful.

Freyj

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2017, 12:03:04 AM »
Started a POTD run. Spent 5 hours on and off creating custom hires at the Gilded Vale Inn.

PC: Coastal Aumana Darcozzi Paladin — Main Tank
Pale Elf Eothas Priest — Off-Tank / Buff / Heal
Death Godlike Barbarian
Borean Dwarf Rogue
Coastal Aumana Ranger
Wood Elf Wizard

Bebpo

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2017, 01:00:15 AM »
So I'm in New Orleans now on vacation and on the flight I tried starting Beamdog's port of Baldur's Gate 1 on the iPad. It's crazy to see how similar it is to Pillars. The only difference seems the dialogue which is soooo bad "Wench I don't need your trouble" fedora-type dialogue choices & combat at the start consists of 30 seconds of people swinging before anyone hits anyone. Also the portraits lol

Otherwise it's just missing the speed up/slow down modern options of Pillars and the interface is clunky in comparison. I even recognize the attacks from pillars like chill touch here is chill fog in Pillars and I saw the wizard do the 4 body double spell.

In retrospect, Pillars really does seem like a love letter to BG with good dialogue & lots of QoL modern stuff.

Dunno if I'll play BG, lack of FF and everyone whacking but not hitting + cringe dialogue and ugly portraits is kinda eh. Might try jumping to BG2 after Pillars on PC where I can use mods.

Raedric's Keep is great. First off I like how he has been built up via lore and dialogue since Gilded Vale; this really gives the game a sense of importance. The actual keep is well designed so far. I'm enjoying staging fights, creating choke points with doors and hallways.

Doing a quest to save someone in the dungeon. Hope I get a new companion, I could use one. I've been pretty conservative with Durance, trying not to waste spells. I did give him a bow btw which has been helpful.

Interesting, I don't think I found that dungeon quest and I've been pretty thorough and thought I found all the quests so far.

Then again my experience with the keep was climbing up to the roof, lock picking some doors and ending up at the throne room.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2017, 01:08:36 AM »
don't judge BG2 off of Beamdog's "remasters"
reckt

Bebpo

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2017, 01:10:50 AM »
If I play BG2 I'll just play the original from GOG with mods. I have all the infinity engine games off GOG to play someday.

Did you even make it out of Act I of Pillars? The game doesn't really get interesting until Act II. Then it's goddamn great.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2017, 01:17:22 AM »
Must confess I didn't make it past I. I've tried to play it like...four or five times already and it kinda gelled a little during my first attempt but not enough where I kept playing. Every attempt after that has ended in total failure. I just find it boring, and when so much of the game seems like wall of texts and ok combat...eh
reckt

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2017, 10:16:16 AM »
Bepbo how do you decide when to rest? I try my hardest not to use my camp supplies, even less so now that I'm a lot more careful on using Durance's spells. For instance I've used 1 in Raedric's Hold so far. Eder had a broken shoulder or some shit and healing wasn't being effective, so I didn't really have a choice.

Also I need to get used to picking up all loot and throwing it in the safe. Just feels weird picking everything up and not having to worry about inventory.

Bebpo

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2017, 01:00:33 PM »
I rest at Inns when I’m at one, but with camping supplies I try to hold out until someone is gonna perma die next fight or two. But if someone has a bad injury it’s usually worth resting because that will really hurt them in combat.

If you play on hard you’re restricted to only 2 camping supplies at a time in your inventory. Combined with 3-5 hour dungeons it gets super intense being down to one supply and figuring out when to use it. Or being out and pushing further and further hoping you run across a loot that has 1 camping supply replenish.

Of course, since enemies don’t respawn you can always retreat, rest and refill supplies and head back, but where’s the fun in that :)

Resting also changes once you get and upgrade your stronghold, as you get further the dialogue checks will get higher and higher and resting at your stronghold can give +3 to any base stat which is huge, especially combined with equipment that gives stat bonuses. +2 mechanics boost can mean the difference between unlocking a shortcut.

Things open up a lot in Act II.

Bebpo

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2017, 01:17:17 PM »
Must confess I didn't make it past I. I've tried to play it like...four or five times already and it kinda gelled a little during my first attempt but not enough where I kept playing. Every attempt after that has ended in total failure. I just find it boring, and when so much of the game seems like wall of texts and ok combat...eh

Gotcha, the combat gets really good and intense (especially on hard & up) in Act II onwards when you start to get a lot of skills and teammates. Having played like 100s of rpgs, both wrpg & jrpg over the decades, the high level combat in Pillars is some of the best and most satisfying combat I’ve played on hard. Shit gets intense often and boss fights can be crazy. I mentioned SMT Nocturne earlier and I think the challenge & intensity can get pretty close here, though honestly it wasn’t until The White March which felt like that (from what I hear White March 1&2 are a lot more challenging than the base game).

Also, I thought the story and companions were dull in Act I, but at this point I love the world and am reading every book & weapon story and all my companions are great characters up there with other rpgs. The story is also much more entertaining even if the main plot is just ok, the MSQ is like 4 hours out of every 20-30 hour chapter and there’s lots of interesting quests and npcs and great exploration on maps.

Act II also introduces a lot of New Vegas style factions that you interact with however you want. Plus the Act II stronghold roleplaying is very cool.

It’s worth pushing through Act I for Act II onwards. Near the middle of Act I I was googling “is Pillars boring/bland? Does it get interesting?” And now it’s one of the best games I’ve played all year after Act II, White March I and the Endless Path dungeon.

Freyj

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2017, 12:35:45 AM »
PotD hasn’t been too bad so far. The worst was the first Wisp pack in the temple, my tanks melted.

I really need to get back to finishing Witcher 3, but Pillars is so much more enjoyable even the third time around.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2017, 02:49:19 AM »

If you don't dig the combat, then don't bother. It's the meat of the game; in this aspect PoE is actually more closer to the old Icewind Dale games than to BG.

If you want a stronger focus on narrative, try out Obsidian's Tyranny.