Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2174572 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #10320 on: January 15, 2018, 04:05:37 PM »
Quote from: excelsiorlef
I’m just being pragmatic. It doesn’t do any good to argue about whose responsibility it is. Outright banning ignorant (but not malicious) people isn’t going to make them disappear from the world. It isn’t going to make things better for women and minorities. At some point, someone needs to engage with these people if we want to improve our world.

I totally understand if you don’t want to or are too tired to. I can’t even imagine how it must be for women and minorities. I’m just saying we shouldn’t get in the way of those who do choose to engage them — because engaging them is the only way we move forward as a society.
Again you've crafted basically an entire idea around sorry women and minorities you're just gonna have to get exhausted here because you need to save society

Banning them outright will get rid of them here... that's all that matters. It'll make this place better for minorities.
yet it'll still be a forum where a "resettlement advisor" has "EXCELSIOR" the known catch phrase of a white cishet male rapist in their username and an avatar paying tribute to their works, one of the most likely triggers i've seen on GAF.ERA

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #10321 on: January 15, 2018, 04:07:48 PM »
Quote from: excelsiorlef
I’m just being pragmatic. It doesn’t do any good to argue about whose responsibility it is. Outright banning ignorant (but not malicious) people isn’t going to make them disappear from the world. It isn’t going to make things better for women and minorities. At some point, someone needs to engage with these people if we want to improve our world.

I totally understand if you don’t want to or are too tired to. I can’t even imagine how it must be for women and minorities. I’m just saying we shouldn’t get in the way of those who do choose to engage them — because engaging them is the only way we move forward as a society.
Again you've crafted basically an entire idea around sorry women and minorities you're just gonna have to get exhausted here because you need to save society

Banning them outright will get rid of them here... that's all that matters. It'll make this place better for minorities.
yet it'll still be a forum where a "resettlement advisor" has "EXCELSIOR" the known catch phrase of a white cishet male rapist in their username and an avatar paying tribute to their works, one of the most likely triggers i've seen on GAF.ERA

Donald Trump's home state...coincidence?
©@©™

Leadbelly

« Reply #10322 on: January 15, 2018, 04:11:12 PM »
Good post by Gotchaye, Neogaf mod.
Can you list anything more evil than voting for trump?

Now let me think... Hmmm.

The interesting thing about this is, despite Trump saying a lot of dumb shit, what exactly has he really done? I guess put a temporary ban on 7 Muslim countries? I would consider it harsh and ill thought out, but on the scale of most evil things done in history, it probably doesn't even register.

benjipwns

« Reply #10323 on: January 15, 2018, 04:11:13 PM »
so users who post bad things (possibly in bad faith) are to be immediately permabanned so as to not spread their negative toxicity all over the forum, but topics about bad things (and the users who post said topics) need to be promoted until they dominate because WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT FACING THE FACT THAT REALITY IS TERRIBLE AND NEEDS TO BE ENDED ASAP

benjipwns

« Reply #10324 on: January 15, 2018, 04:13:29 PM »
LIVES ARE LITERALLY AT STAKE

benjipwns

« Reply #10325 on: January 15, 2018, 04:14:16 PM »
LIVERS ARE NOT BECAUSE ALCOHOL IS DISGUSTING AND I LIKE TO FEEL IN CONTROL AT ALL TIMES

benjipwns

« Reply #10326 on: January 15, 2018, 04:22:30 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/we-need-a-better-way-to-argue-in-controversial-serious-sensitive-topics.16379/page-19#post-3293504
This thread is a great example of what is going to happen to Era if it continues down the path of impotent moderating. Posts filled will people whining about bubbles, dog-piling, echo chambers, "orthodoxy", eggshells, and all other manners of bullshit - without one single fucking example of the views they aren't "allowed" to express or how they are being treated unfairly. Bobby Roberts said it already on the first page: if you want good discussions, fill the room with good people. Otherwise, "garbage in, garbage out" is what you should expect.

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #10327 on: January 15, 2018, 04:23:08 PM »
Good post by Gotchaye, Neogaf mod.
Can you list anything more evil than voting for trump?

Pineapple on pizza?
Being a Patriots fan?
Checking all of a developers’ beliefs before feeling comfortable you can buy their game?

benjipwns

« Reply #10328 on: January 15, 2018, 04:28:25 PM »
Diversity of thought is a valuable thing for any discussion board, whether most people who represent the majority position understand that or not.

It is possible to have civil disagreement and debate with other people, even on heated topics, where people passionately disagree. Possible, but not if diversity of thought is not valued.
What do you mean by diversity of thought?

Leadbelly

« Reply #10329 on: January 15, 2018, 04:30:20 PM »
Diversity of thought is a valuable thing for any discussion board, whether most people who represent the majority position understand that or not.

It is possible to have civil disagreement and debate with other people, even on heated topics, where people passionately disagree. Possible, but not if diversity of thought is not valued.
What do you mean by diversity of thought?

Hahaha.

This is guy is thinking about a conversation where every nationality and race is represented.

benjipwns

« Reply #10330 on: January 15, 2018, 04:30:45 PM »
And this is the problem.

People argue about the lives and freedoms of people like they're talking about lootboxes. It's meaningless to them because it doesn't affect them. It's just arguing for the sake of arguing. They likely don't think about their words anymore 2 minutes after leaving the thread. Because it's all happening at a distance. No skin in the game, no personal involvement, no genuine care or empathy, no interest in further educating themselves. Just enough care to post a shallow comment, as if it was no more consequential than talking about a lootbox.
:dead

we're still talking about a video game nintendo direct speculation message board's off-topic section right?

benjipwns

« Reply #10331 on: January 15, 2018, 04:37:31 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/le-monde-journalist-who-reported-the-quantic-dream-scandal-says-he-got-blacklisted-by-sony-read-op.16529/

Gaming ERA vs. Off-topic ERA.

Sony vs progressives.

Whoever loses, we win?
Maybe he was blacklisted for not going through proper channels first and instead decided to make it public?

I don't see why Sony would be a bad guy in this scenario.
What would be proper channels for a journalist?
Take the story to Sony first and see if they can handle it internally?

Idk, maybe Sony is not their responsibility in which case it makes no sense.
It’s very possible everything in that tweet is true. It’s also possible that the source heard this after hearing office gossip. One thing we didn’t seem to get was asking Sony about it first before throwing it up on Twitter.
:rofl

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #10332 on: January 15, 2018, 04:41:54 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/le-monde-journalist-who-reported-the-quantic-dream-scandal-says-he-got-blacklisted-by-sony-read-op.16529/

Gaming ERA vs. Off-topic ERA.

Sony vs progressives.

Whoever loses, we win?

Hey, gotta ask them. Really want to just go by Joe the Developers opinion for Sony’s actions?

Hey, you do a story, you ask the particulars for a response. I guess because it’s a Tweet, he didn’t think he had to?
Maybe he was blacklisted for not going through proper channels first and instead decided to make it public?

I don't see why Sony would be a bad guy in this scenario.
What would be proper channels for a journalist?
Take the story to Sony first and see if they can handle it internally?

Idk, maybe Sony is not their responsibility in which case it makes no sense.
It’s very possible everything in that tweet is true. It’s also possible that the source heard this after hearing office gossip. One thing we didn’t seem to get was asking Sony about it first before throwing it up on Twitter.
:rofl

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #10333 on: January 15, 2018, 04:43:36 PM »
Just saying, you gotta ask.

Side Note: I hate fucking posting from a tablet.

Leadbelly

« Reply #10334 on: January 15, 2018, 04:57:14 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/we-need-a-better-way-to-argue-in-controversial-serious-sensitive-topics.16379/page-19#post-3293504
This thread is a great example of what is going to happen to Era if it continues down the path of impotent moderating. Posts filled will people whining about bubbles, dog-piling, echo chambers, "orthodoxy", eggshells, and all other manners of bullshit - without one single fucking example of the views they aren't "allowed" to express or how they are being treated unfairly. Ted Danson said it already on the first page: if you want good discussions, fill the room with good people. Otherwise, "garbage in, garbage out" is what you should expect.

I'll give an example: defending damore. It was brought to their attention that the same thread on NeoGAF was largely in support of Damore.

To which one person replied:

https://www.resetera.com/posts/3067227/
I mean, what can you expect from NeoNaziGAF? The scumbags were just lurking, waiting to surface like the rancid turds they are. It delights me to no end that the site is practically dead. Fuck that rapey asshole and his shitstain supporters.

On topic, fuck Damore.

Now it is one thing to be wrong about Damore and that memo, it is something else to then disgustingly throw the most vile insults at people who defend him, while being wrong about damore and his memo. To the moderators credit, however, they actually warned this person for that.

Now, i commented on this before and posted some Steven Pinker videos becuase I thought they were relevant. However, I recently came across a discussion he was in where he actually gives his thoughts on the Google memo.

Around the 7:41 mark.

Imagine if you said, "Damore did nothing wrong!" in that thread. You would be correct, but yet, I could only imagine how you would be treated.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:05:19 PM by Leadbelly »

Boredfrom

« Reply #10335 on: January 15, 2018, 05:03:59 PM »
Is kind of sad that Resetera is using Movie Bob to defend the last Jedi

Hot Slice

« Reply #10336 on: January 15, 2018, 05:10:17 PM »

A dagger through my heart.

Rman

« Reply #10337 on: January 15, 2018, 05:23:10 PM »
Message boards are over, I mean yeah there is reddit, but beyond that they're done. I like somethingawful and rpgcodex for their gaming stuff, but ERA is never going to be another GAF, that time is past, its just going to be the worst of neogafs 2012 and on echo chamber as time goes on.

also wtf at some people already over 5k posts in less than 3 months?  :kobeyuck
Let me guess, LionPride is one of them?

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #10338 on: January 15, 2018, 05:24:46 PM »

A dagger through my heart.

I can’t properly post unless at home, in front of my desktop, old T-shirt and comfy ratty shorts with holes in the crotch on.

It’s a process.

Boredfrom

« Reply #10339 on: January 15, 2018, 05:25:05 PM »
Hey Huelen, you were not exactly wrong in not liking violence to resolve political clashes in that Resetera thread.

FStop7

« Reply #10340 on: January 15, 2018, 05:31:32 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/jay-z-vs-eminem-your-preferred-hip-hop-legend.16613/

Post-2005 Eminem sucks.

It is generic and whitebread.  “Not Afraid” is an insult to music.

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #10341 on: January 15, 2018, 05:39:24 PM »
Message boards are over, I mean yeah there is reddit, but beyond that they're done. I like somethingawful and rpgcodex for their gaming stuff, but ERA is never going to be another GAF, that time is past, its just going to be the worst of neogafs 2012 and on echo chamber as time goes on.

:nope
bent

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #10342 on: January 15, 2018, 06:04:59 PM »
So you can hide your profile on Reset, huh? I don't really get what the purpose of that feature is

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #10343 on: January 15, 2018, 06:12:35 PM »
That's what I thought too, but you can still search by poster, the profile preview shows your post tally and join date, and you can presumably still send PMs since that's also an option on the preview.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10344 on: January 15, 2018, 06:20:47 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

5000 garbage posts no less.
🤴

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #10345 on: January 15, 2018, 06:27:21 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/will-a-new-nintendo-direct-happen-this-week-more-hints.16394/

These people are crazy.

I mean, even if it does happen, why get your panties all twisted like that with speculation all the time? I've ignored most nintendo threads anywhere as I wasn't really into the 3DS and hated the Wii U but damn did I forgot how insane nintards can be.

Yea that 600+ page thread for nothingburger with a DKC port and DLC.

Mario Tennis Aces is not a nothingburger you piece of shit

Jansen

« Reply #10346 on: January 15, 2018, 06:28:44 PM »

:lol

etiolate

« Reply #10347 on: January 15, 2018, 06:28:46 PM »
You can' really be edgy when you got rich off your first few albums.

Happens to rock bands all the time.

Jansen

« Reply #10348 on: January 15, 2018, 06:29:47 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/will-a-new-nintendo-direct-happen-this-week-more-hints.16394/

These people are crazy.

I mean, even if it does happen, why get your panties all twisted like that with speculation all the time? I've ignored most nintendo threads anywhere as I wasn't really into the 3DS and hated the Wii U but damn did I forgot how insane nintards can be.

it sure is you dumbass nintendrone

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10349 on: January 15, 2018, 06:32:04 PM »
Don't forget Luigi will hide balloons all over Super Mario Odyssey and we get to fight the tree in Kirby again.

lit af  :doge
🤴

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #10350 on: January 15, 2018, 06:42:19 PM »

These people are crazy.

it sure is you dumbass nintendrone

MODS HELP

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #10351 on: January 15, 2018, 06:43:51 PM »
Don't forget Luigi will hide balloons all over Super Mario Odyssey and we get to fight the tree in Kirby again.

lit af  :doge

1. luigi balloons is free update, entitled ass gamer whining about something FREE
2. yes kirby fights a tree in the first level it is called tradition, yet you will go buy the latest COD game wow get to shoot soldiers in war again

:six:

Boredfrom

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10354 on: January 15, 2018, 07:03:56 PM »
Neogaf running on fumes

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/heaviest-empty-console-boxes.1460577/
I want the Sonic fans to completely take over the forum
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/which-game-began-the-dark-age-of-sonic-games.1341104/

It would be worse than GAF dying, I want Malka to suffer  :doge
🤴

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #10355 on: January 15, 2018, 07:16:32 PM »

I realize it's easier than ever to post on the internet on the go but godamn :jeanluc

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #10357 on: January 15, 2018, 07:26:03 PM »
And lol at Stubby acting like Reee is his turf and telling people to "go home" after catching like two bans in one week. You are not long for Era, Stubby.

Well that's an interesting opinion agrajag. That's an interesting handle agrajag, neither a noun nor a name, not quite as good as Wetbloodfart but it will have to do. I'm sure you have interesting opinions for me to hear agrajag.
ὕβρις

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #10359 on: January 15, 2018, 07:29:17 PM »
And lol at Stubby acting like Reee is his turf and telling people to "go home" after catching like two bans in one week. You are not long for Era, Stubby.

Well that's an interesting opinion agrajag. That's an interesting handle agrajag, neither a noun nor a name, not quite as good as Wetbloodfart but it will have to do. I'm sure you have interesting opinions for me to hear agrajag.

I love the propensity to shit on peoples user names from a full-grown adult who has still chosen to call himself "Bobby"

Bore Expert

« Reply #10360 on: January 15, 2018, 07:37:08 PM »
Neogaf running on fumes

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/heaviest-empty-console-boxes.1460577/

Those aren’t fumes... it’s steam coming from the shower

etiolate

« Reply #10361 on: January 15, 2018, 07:44:46 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/could-communism-work-with-ai.16647/

:doge

Well, it's a bit difficult to survive when the you're been constantly undermined by the western world.

You are wholly off base for the reason communism failed in the post WW2 era.

Communism, always undermined by the outside forces. Much like the great German state.

Jansen

« Reply #10362 on: January 15, 2018, 07:46:57 PM »

:lol

To bad I know how Devilman ends...

well that image says he dies

it's hilarious seeing the reactions to devilman crybaby from people that are unfamiliar with the source material lol. episode nine and ten are a real gut punch :rofl

agrajag

« Reply #10363 on: January 15, 2018, 07:53:07 PM »

Ted Danson satire notwithstanding, Agrajag is a name, wtf dude

Jansen

« Reply #10364 on: January 15, 2018, 08:01:02 PM »
Thread Title: Movies that profoundly affected you

https://www.resetera.com/posts/3326533/

The first time I watched End of Evangelion back in the early 2000s. I knew nothing about it other than it was an alternate ending for Neon Genesis Evangelion. By the end of that film, I had tears in my eyes contemplating life, death, religion, and how depression clouds our judgment.

this some top shelf weeb shit :expert

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #10365 on: January 15, 2018, 08:02:30 PM »

Ted Danson satire notwithstanding, Agrajag is a name, wtf dude

Not a proper one like Porkins, Sheev or Moff.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Didn't know it was from Adams book tho, so I learnt something.
[close]
ὕβρις

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #10366 on: January 15, 2018, 08:12:09 PM »
Moff is a rank title
bent

Boredfrom

« Reply #10367 on: January 15, 2018, 08:18:41 PM »
Why the fuck Resetera likes Devilman Crybaby, I mean is legit awesome but is probably one of the least Social Studies Warrior friendly story in Manga. The first episode alone should tell you this is not going to end well and there is going to be a lot of tits and blood.

Jansen

« Reply #10368 on: January 15, 2018, 08:29:29 PM »
Why the fuck Resetera likes Devilman Crybaby, I mean is legit awesome but is probably one of the least Social Studies Warrior friendly story in Manga. The first episode alone should tell you this is not going to end well and there is going to be a lot of tits and blood.

I mentioned it a few weeks ago on here but I'm kind of surprised that the show isn't getting more shit from reset especially with stuff like the mid-air rape and teenager anime nudity

benjipwns

« Reply #10369 on: January 15, 2018, 09:50:16 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/could-communism-work-with-ai.16647/

Well, it's a bit difficult to survive when the you're been constantly undermined by the western world.

You are wholly off base for the reason communism failed in the post WW2 era.

Communism, always undermined by the outside forces. Much like the great German state.
This might be a pedantic argument, but the existence of communist states, however brief, does indicate that communism can and has worked.

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #10370 on: January 15, 2018, 09:52:28 PM »
Now that women in the media are saying the Aziz Ansari story isn't literal rape the narrative on Era is that the media loves Aziz and is trying to protect him?

who the fuck loves Aziz?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 11:51:22 PM by clothedmacuser »
sigh

agrajag

« Reply #10372 on: January 15, 2018, 09:53:19 PM »
The Peoples Temple Agricultural Project of Jonestown worked, self-evident by its very existence!  :lawd

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #10373 on: January 15, 2018, 09:53:31 PM »
The first thing to fixing a problem is admitting you have one. And America has too many to count.

Maybe for people born into this society with a silver spoon in their mouths, or fortunate enough to rise to a position of privilege through pure luck they can ignore everything that goes on in favor of their own fortunes, but most of us are not lucky enough to be apart of that segment of the population.

Only in America where you can have the country spend twice as much on bombs, guns, bullets and the military in general as the next 5 other world nations combined, yet have a huge portion of the country barely being able to survive on less than basic necessities will you have people still try and call it great. All the while the government is bought and paid for by anyone with enough money to lobby the politics against the citizens and the media is disinterested in covering anything worth half a damn from a global perspective.

Its a damn shitshow.

What is going on in this place? Why are they all little socialist marxists ? Everything is luck, everything is rigged. America is the big bad wolf and all these innocent middle eastern countries are wonderful places that get treated poorly by superpowers.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #10374 on: January 15, 2018, 10:03:00 PM »

I mentioned it a few weeks ago on here but I'm kind of surprised that the show isn't getting more shit from reset especially with stuff like the mid-air rape and teenager anime nudity
But gaffers love anime rape and anime teenage tits.
reckt

agrajag

« Reply #10375 on: January 15, 2018, 10:04:46 PM »
Now that women in the media are saying the Aziz Ansari story isn't literal rape the narrative is that the media loves Aziz and is trying to protect him?

who the fuck loves Aziz?

"Literal rape???" Talk about moving goal posts. Could you be any more disingenuous? Rape is rape, whether you violently gang raped, popped a boner in the presence of, or looked at a woman without her consent, all will be judged equally in the eyes of the community. This is not the court of law, kiddo, we condemn with impunity. Now think about it, is Aziz Ansari really the hill you want to die on?

User was warned for posting in bad faith and mocking the official Reset Era position on the zero sum rape game as well as  lampooning the veritable Robert Boberts by posting kiddo. Do not post kiddo, kiddo is reserved for Robert Boberts only.

benjipwns

« Reply #10376 on: January 15, 2018, 10:05:15 PM »
This might be a pedantic argument, but the briefer the existence of the state the better the proof that communism has worked, no? :thinking

etiolate

« Reply #10377 on: January 15, 2018, 10:29:00 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3336917/

Why? WHY??

TELL ME HOW MANY LIGHTS ARE THERE, CHELSEA!

Boredfrom

« Reply #10378 on: January 15, 2018, 10:30:53 PM »
It isn't just reddit. The vast majority of people I've talked to IRL are against Grace here. This is the hay that broke the #MeToo movement's back for a lot of people.

The main argument I've heard against this women is that Aziz's behaviour was "normal", and she should have done something different. They're right about the first thing, Aziz's behaviour was normal, but that's exactly the problem with society. If the #MeToo movement can't overcome this, can't have a serious conversation about sexual misconduct that extends beyond overt sexual aggression, then nothing will have changed.

Boredfrom

« Reply #10379 on: January 15, 2018, 10:32:20 PM »

But gaffers love anime rape and anime teenage tits.

Not Social Studies Warrior gaf_resetera

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not openly at least
[close]