Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2174762 times)

Optimus

• Lieutenant colonel, 26th Hate Machine battalion
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #11760 on: January 23, 2018, 08:28:48 AM »
Peterson is a dipshit and why does he keep getting brought up by the same few idiots in this thread :stahp

Oh look, another identity politics enthusiast triggered by Peterson for mentioning scientifically proven facts. Can't allow people bursting our bubble like that.

Kurt Russell

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #11761 on: January 23, 2018, 08:32:47 AM »
Peterson is a dipshit and why does he keep getting brought up by the same few idiots in this thread :stahp
Oh look, another identity politics enthusiast triggered by Peterson for mentioning scientifically proven facts. Can't allow people bursting our bubble like that.

A day in the life of Broseidon

> Whines about Reeeeeee
> Tries to turn thebore into Reeeeee
> Takes a break for five minutes to check out his favourite Twitter movie critic:

(still blocked lol)
woke

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #11762 on: January 23, 2018, 08:58:36 AM »
I don't pay a lot of attention to popular academic figures and their arguments, but I saw the Peterson interview and he didn't seem like a dipshit.  He stated his positions very well and they seem reasonable.

I don't think being against compelled speech law necessarily means you're anti-trans.  Sure, he could be using the law as a shield to hide sneaky personal bigotry.  He didn't feel like that sort of person though.

I mean if there was suddenly a law that required all citizens to start the morning loudly proclaiming "pedophiles are disgusting human beings," protesting that law doesn't mean you support pedophilia.  It's the same shit as bills pushed through congress with patriotic riders so congressmen can say "you don't hate America, do you?"
Uncle

kingv

« Reply #11763 on: January 23, 2018, 09:11:40 AM »
I don't pay a lot of attention to popular academic figures and their arguments, but I saw the Peterson interview and he didn't seem like a dipshit.  He stated his positions very well and they seem reasonable.

I don't think being against compelled speech law necessarily means you're anti-trans.  Sure, he could be using the law as a shield to hide sneaky personal bigotry.  He didn't feel like that sort of person though.

I mean if there was suddenly a law that required all citizens to start the morning loudly proclaiming "pedophiles are disgusting human beings," protesting that law doesn't mean you support pedophilia.  It's the same shit as bills pushed through congress with patriotic riders so congressmen can say "you don't hate America, do you?"

agreed. I did not watch the interview, but Imma shitpost anyway.

What is the big difference between compelled pronouns and arresting people for not taking their hat off during the national anthem or saying the pledge of allegiance every morning at work.

One of those things we call a vast government overreach, I feel like any sort of compelled speech is the same. (arguably even grand juries, though, I guess they have their moments... as seen in the russia investigation).

« Reply #11764 on: January 23, 2018, 09:13:59 AM »
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/channel4-jordan-peterson-debate-on-the-gender-pay-gap-campus-protests-and-postmodernism.1460648/post-253165413

He really wants to be liked by the people he shat on for years. Is the empty forum getting to him?

I wouldn’t be surprised if he read here or Voat. Obviously a very insecure guy and the sudden 180 in behavior is so unnatural.

It's not a 180, he's been against the tone of his own forum for years.  Just a couple random posts:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/when-the-left-turns-on-its-own-nyt-opinion.1384767/page-6#post-239047632 (long post)

World isn't binary, folks. Hyper-partisan, radical, binary, "us or them" environments with constant purity tests demanding adherence to the pre-established talking point of the hour breeds ignorance, intolerance, hate, and self-destruction.

Another moderate post from that thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/when-the-left-turns-on-its-own-nyt-opinion.1384767/page-9#post-241563126

He likes Dave Chapelle (gasp): https://www.neogaf.com/threads/dave-chappelle-collection-1-ot-netflix-standup-special-its-a-celebration.1354103/page-14#post-232649232

Right, so I'm being condemned for attending a comedy special -- that also happened to be the decade-in-waiting comeback tour for one of the best comedians of all time and my personal favorite -- and laughing? That makes me an enemy of the LGBT community now? Yeah, Dave used some outmoded terms that we try to educate folks about avoiding on here, and he went to some places that could justifiably offend or disappoint some people: white, black, gay, and trans too. The so-easy-Clayton-Bigsby-could-see-it takeaway, though, is that Dave clearly isn't promoting a message of hate or trying to tear down social progress or civil liberties for anyone. He's telling jokes. We can talk about the social impact or appropriateness of these jokes, sure, but your "disgust" at me for laughing at goddamned Dave Chappelle's comedy special is impressively misguided, absurd, and pathetic.

1) Go fuck yourself.

2) Leave.

Thanks for your feedback!

Hates Anita Sarkeesian: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/anita-sarkeesian-tackles-problematic-humor-when-criticizing-donald-trump.1376355/page-4#post-237301377

This attempt at political commentary seems to be about as lucid, informed, relevant, and substantiated as her film critique of good ol' "misogynistic" Mad Max: Fury Road.

Not remotely thread-worthy.

Also lol: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/like-the-sun-neogafs-life-will-eventually-end-but-when.1213607/page-4#post-202372717

Yeah, Evilore was one of the better posters/moderators on his forum the 2 or 3 days a year he showed up.

Kurt Russell

« Reply #11765 on: January 23, 2018, 09:17:14 AM »
Yeah, Evilore was one of the better posters/moderators on his forum the 2 or 3 days a year he showed up.

But was he posting in good faith?
woke

Jansen

« Reply #11766 on: January 23, 2018, 10:03:34 AM »
Probably feels like being a Resetera member.

Bitch you ain't banned. How dare you lie 2 me!

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #11767 on: January 23, 2018, 10:08:15 AM »
Why are we suddenly forgetting the numerous times he's deleted people's accounts?

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #11768 on: January 23, 2018, 10:34:00 AM »
Even a broken clock is right twice a day  :trumps

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #11769 on: January 23, 2018, 10:34:26 AM »
and I'm pretty sure fuck you
rub

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #11770 on: January 23, 2018, 10:35:13 AM »
Why are we suddenly forgetting the numerous times he's deleted people's accounts?

Or that his ego was so inflated that he thought he had to publicly take a stance on the Paris Agreement.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #11771 on: January 23, 2018, 10:43:46 AM »

That's because he is. The main flack he gets is from the trans community because they can't force him to use words he doesn't  want to despite still always calling a trans student by her/his preferred pronoun if they ask him genuinely and with respect.

But ya know he's just a raging alt-right hellbent on destroying the trans community... that's how these fucking people are. They're tyrants, they want control over what you can or cannot do in order for them to feel not only "safe" but powerful.

« Reply #11772 on: January 23, 2018, 11:03:21 AM »

Or that his ego was so inflated that he thought he had to publicly take a stance on the Paris Agreement.

His ego, insecurity, and the way he overcompensates by trying to be Alpha as fuck is one of his biggest flaws. 
At his worst, he's like a low-rent Donald Trump before the dementia kicked in.
Which is a fair bit better than a lot of the mods/posters at Resetera.

Free Demi

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #11773 on: January 23, 2018, 11:04:14 AM »

But he is a master of a thousand fights. Show some respect.

« Reply #11774 on: January 23, 2018, 11:13:16 AM »

But he is a master of a thousand fights. Show some respect.

A feminist prone to bad (she's bi) shower dates?  Sounds more like a Master of None™

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #11775 on: January 23, 2018, 11:38:08 AM »
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/channel4-jordan-peterson-debate-on-the-gender-pay-gap-campus-protests-and-postmodernism.1460648/post-253165413

He really wants to be liked by the people he shat on for years. Is the empty forum getting to him?

I wouldn’t be surprised if he read here or Voat. Obviously a very insecure guy and the sudden 180 in behavior is so unnatural.

There's no 180. His position on that kind of stuff wasn't exactly a tightly kept secret. He just went completely hands-off and let it fester though.

railGUN

• If my bones are breaking would you tell me that I'm weak?
« Reply #11776 on: January 23, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »
My original intent was just to be running the site as I would a social space in real life. Most of us can get along with people of whatever sex, whatever orientation, whatever ethnicity, and whatever politics without going off the rails, so why can't it be like that on the internet too? I'm a pretty laid back person who can get along with nearly anyone and who wants to engage with diverse viewpoints.

Regarding trans issues, I recognized that trans people have it really hard in society and I paid extra attention to attempting to shape an environment where they could be comfortable being themselves, since those environments are few and far between. I was happy to see a trans-gaf subcommunity form over time and the community trend toward better understanding of trans issues such that they'd be far more respectful by default than you'd typically see.

That being said, my own views on how an internet forum should be run trend toward not giving a damn what anyone claims to be in terms of identity, just the content of what they have to say and the evidence supporting it. I'm not anonymous, and some other people here aren't, but most personas are formed freely on the internet and when you can become a "protected class" and wield power by announcing that you're a person of color or a woman or trans or whatever it may be, that's going to be taken advantage of on a platform like this. And it was. I never wanted that outcome. I just wanted everyone to be able to come on here and not deal with what I felt was a massive dissonance between how we typically engage with each other on the internet vs how we do IRL.

What the OP describes wasn't really specific to the trans community here. Every identity of person seemed to trend toward hostile tribalism over time, a huge rift formed between community and moderation, individual mods had their own agendas they were furthering, and I failed to course correct it all. Eventually nothing was "progressive enough" and I became the enemy to a subset of the trans community here as well as a subset of every minority community here. I took that all in and tried to navigate it, tried to understand people's positions, but nothing was good enough and a ton of people lashed out at me any time I said anything eventually.

Honestly, I was completely miserable every moment I was on GAF in 2017. I tried to turn things around, but I was dealing with rough personal issues all year and was only just starting to pull myself out of that when I got #metooed (falsely) out of nowhere. It was overwhelming and scary. It got mainstream media attention. The community had become a powderkeg of polarized, authoritarian left hostility that seemed to revel in setting this place on fire from within and throw me onto a pyre the moment they found out about that BS allegation, and almost all the mods immediately bailed, we got DDoSed for like two straight days, and by the time we were back up we barely had any mod coverage and I was deeply hurt by what the community was saying about me and could barely engage with it. Then I had to step back and take care of important personal concerns, so it took some time to figure out where to take the site from there.

Anyway, don't blame the trans community here. Blame me. Everything that happened, at least, eventually became an opportunity to actually course correct this place like I couldn't when it was at its peak, so that we'd be able to actually talk about things again, and use this place for escapism from the shitty real world, too, rather than some insane asylum where you're driven out for "normalizing!!11" if you don't hate everything and want to die.

I think @Rocket Number 22 sets a great example by being willing to talk about her identity and demanding a baseline of respect we all should have for each other, but not constantly relying on "as a trans woman....." at the start of each sentence in an argument. We all have an identity, we all have our struggles, we can all respect each other. Let's do it without creating a swirling miasma of bitter hostility in a game of oppression olympics where there's one correct thing to say and we all hate each other for the privileges we see on the other side of the screen. And let's be cool with our trans gaffers too.

Thanks. :)

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/why-did-gaf-have-such-a-militant-trans-community-before.1460684/#post-253165809
Fish<

Boredfrom

« Reply #11777 on: January 23, 2018, 12:42:20 PM »
"I tried guys. Also Im not a total creep."

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #11779 on: January 23, 2018, 12:54:50 PM »
I’ll take all the blame, but none of the consequences.

:hhh

Oh, not all the blame, because dat bitch was crazy! And bi.

Also, now it’s 2 straight days of ddos attacks? It’s sad because I agree with a lot of his sentiment, just hate the cake hole it’s being spewed from.

Boredfrom

« Reply #11780 on: January 23, 2018, 12:55:20 PM »
Who knows if Lime is a woman, fatty or PoC or whatever, she is so far left that even tried to defend Chelsea Manning going to parties with the "alt-right".

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #11781 on: January 23, 2018, 01:10:07 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/how-video-games-demonize-fat-people.18304/

Is Lime a fattie?

At least Lime finally admitted he'll never accomplish anything by posting on ResetEra

I don't see why demonizing a group of people will motivate them to "change".
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3657480/

Jansen

« Reply #11782 on: January 23, 2018, 01:16:24 PM »

Lol

Boredfrom

« Reply #11783 on: January 23, 2018, 01:19:41 PM »
Does Nirolak work in EA or a mobile company? He is a bigger corporate cheerleader than a regular nintendo fan.

Clockwork5

« Reply #11784 on: January 23, 2018, 01:20:36 PM »
(falsely)

« Reply #11785 on: January 23, 2018, 01:33:53 PM »

This is more ridiculous than all of Assimilate's posts combined.

Evilore ain't the hill I want to die on but...
 :cmonson

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #11786 on: January 23, 2018, 01:37:58 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3657754/

MMaRsu, bro, you just got put on a list. Only a matter of time now  :'(

etiolate

« Reply #11787 on: January 23, 2018, 01:43:52 PM »
Don't ridicule fat people

Tell Totalbiscuit to die soon

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #11788 on: January 23, 2018, 01:45:56 PM »
How about we refrain from ridiculing anyone.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/3662745/

How is an Obese, Monosyllabic, Cheetoskinned, Rapist polling at 45%

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #11789 on: January 23, 2018, 01:46:13 PM »
No one's telling him to die of a heart attack though

Boredfrom

« Reply #11790 on: January 23, 2018, 01:46:32 PM »

Because cancer is so much better...

Clockwork5

« Reply #11791 on: January 23, 2018, 01:46:34 PM »
Don't ridicule fat people

Tell Totalbiscuit to die soon

That's just practice for the next Bothsides Boogie thread.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #11792 on: January 23, 2018, 01:49:17 PM »

Because cancer is so much better...

he said "don't ridicule fat people, tell TB to die" so I assume he was referring to people mocking his wait. Unless he's implying that they're saying "don't make fun of fat people for being for any reason" but even he's not that distinguished mentally-challenged

etiolate

« Reply #11793 on: January 23, 2018, 01:49:19 PM »
The point seagram is that "don't ridicule people" is obvious BS they don't believe in on any real level.

It's just a bunch of spineless twats trying to fit into the body positive movement.

Which is hilarious since you don't develop any real self-confidence if you avoid ridicule.

It's feigned kindness that they can't even muster up for someone dying of cancer.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #11794 on: January 23, 2018, 01:51:06 PM »
I don't disagree with that general point, but I sincerely doubt chiding fat people and going "Hey, did you know you're fat? Haha that's gross eww don't be fat" is an effective weight loss motivator

« Reply #11795 on: January 23, 2018, 01:54:35 PM »

This is more ridiculous than all of Assimilate's posts combined.

Evilore ain't the hill I want to die on but...
 :cmonson

His opinions on topics weren't extreme like most of GAF, that's about all I'd give him.  Beyond that the dude is kind of unhinged, and that was clear when it came to his "moderating."  Which involved randomly showing up, banning people who disagreed with him, then banning anyone who dared question his banning.   

And that's just post-going into hiding 'lore;  he used to actually post about his life and was basically laughed off of his own forum.  Some of the most hilarious shit I've ever seen on the internet was his Europe stories lol.

All of that is true.  The Euro thread was embarassing.
But my point was that he's better than some of the mods over at Era. 
Probably not a better person than any of them though.

But definitely better than Assimilate.

agrajag

« Reply #11796 on: January 23, 2018, 01:56:17 PM »
Lore was so petty he'd straight up delete accounts for making fun of him.

Boredfrom

« Reply #11797 on: January 23, 2018, 02:01:46 PM »
About waypoint new clickbait

so they're hypocrites because they didn't contact the dev about what the writer perceived as a transphobic pitfall in what was otherwise a fairly progressive and interesting game?

Yes, actually.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #11798 on: January 23, 2018, 02:19:04 PM »
What the hell is a transphobic pitfall.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #11799 on: January 23, 2018, 02:21:46 PM »

As a transmale this offends me....

:banplz

Bore Expert

« Reply #11800 on: January 23, 2018, 02:22:53 PM »

A problematic Atari game.

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #11801 on: January 23, 2018, 02:39:06 PM »

At this point it’s probably easier to say what isn’t a transphobic pitfall.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11802 on: January 23, 2018, 02:39:37 PM »
Quote from: Evilore
Honestly, I was completely miserable every moment I was on GAF
©@©™

tummyfat

« Reply #11803 on: January 23, 2018, 02:47:21 PM »
Evilore let the lunatics run the asylum for years and dogpile/ban anyone who tried to argue a viewpoint different from theirs.

Now he would kill to have a 'pile' of posters of any beliefs and he's backtracking on his own complicity

Jansen

« Reply #11804 on: January 23, 2018, 02:48:39 PM »
but most personas are formed freely on the internet and when you can become a "protected class" and wield power by announcing that you're a person of color or a woman or trans or whatever it may be, that's going to be taken advantage of on a platform like this

This is era times a million now.

I guess the good news is that you can go crawling back to gaf if era permabans ya
spoiler (click to show/hide)
For a few months cuz gaffy is gonna die
[close]

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #11805 on: January 23, 2018, 02:49:32 PM »

so they're hypocrites because they didn't contact the dev about what the writer perceived as a transphobic pitfall in what was otherwise a fairly progressive and interesting game?

Yes, actually.

Oh jeez, what a shitshow for Waypoint. They essentially published an article where a cis-female attacks a transgender developer for not writing a transgender character the right way.

Tweet thread from developer:
https://twitter.com/thefingerspit/status/955861193696202752

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #11806 on: January 23, 2018, 02:56:32 PM »
Ah, how quickly the transphobic pitfalls have turned.

Boredfrom

« Reply #11807 on: January 23, 2018, 02:56:37 PM »
If I heard correctly what actually happens in the game, Is depressing that a Trans Developer needs to tell them "the villian deadnamed someone because he is an asshole. Duh"

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #11808 on: January 23, 2018, 03:12:02 PM »

Yes, actually.

Oh jeez, what a shitshow for Waypoint. They essentially published an article where a cis-female attacks a transgender developer for not writing a transgender character the right way.

Tweet thread from developer:
https://twitter.com/thefingerspit/status/955861193696202752

insularityyyyy

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #11809 on: January 23, 2018, 03:20:01 PM »
I was about to tell a really shameful story from my youth, but I thought better of it.
serge

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #11810 on: January 23, 2018, 03:22:57 PM »
Are you the kid in the pool from the chuck palahniuk story?

Boredfrom

« Reply #11811 on: January 23, 2018, 03:25:00 PM »
Waypoint is often quite bad at nuance, which is weird because they are populated entirely by smart people. I am starting to despair of getting consistently thoughtful games writing from any website

But they were always like this, both Austin and Patrick, while being smart persons themselves, often ignored nuances when trying to make points or decry something. And when called out, they choose to ignore or dismiss this criticisms.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #11812 on: January 23, 2018, 03:30:29 PM »
yeah its almost like austin walker is a piece of shit only focused on himself  :doge

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #11813 on: January 23, 2018, 03:31:32 PM »
I was about to tell a really shameful story from my youth, but I thought better of it.

You've lost your touch.

No? I’m touching myself right now.
serge

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #11814 on: January 23, 2018, 03:32:31 PM »
Does someone still have the picture of Patrick watching the Yakuza sexy video thing?

Boredfrom

« Reply #11815 on: January 23, 2018, 03:33:40 PM »
After reading the developer response twitter thread, I'm agreeing with some of the criticism leveled against Waypoint for this article. They could and should have handled this better / with more nuance. But I still do not personally see the article as the accusation / attack some seem to see it as. I understand that the developer saw it as an accusation too, and I will not dispute the validity of those feelings, but at the same time I cannot dispute the validity or genuineness of the criticism leveled against that specific element of the game by Danielle.

In any case, looking into the game has made me pretty interested in playing it, so I'm getting it and playing it and will eventually see that part for myself and shape my own opinions on it.

https://twitter.com/waypoint/status/955591007004917762

Welp

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #11816 on: January 23, 2018, 03:34:08 PM »
Lol at Evilore doing a PR job on himself. Every one of the old gaf mods I talked to about him said he was capricious, immature, and overall insufferable.
每天生气

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #11817 on: January 23, 2018, 03:35:08 PM »
Waypoint is often quite bad at nuance, which is weird because they are populated entirely by smart people. I am starting to despair of getting consistently thoughtful games writing from any website

But they were always like this, both Austin and Patrick, while being smart persons themselves, often ignored nuances when trying to make points or decry something. And when called out, they choose to ignore or dismiss this criticisms.

I don't know why anyone still looks up to Patrick after he embarrassed himself with the Allison Rapp story.

Does someone still have the picture of Patrick watching the Yakuza sexy video thing?

Lol at Evilore doing a PR job on himself. Every one of the old gaf mods I talked to about him said he was capricious, immature, and overall insufferable.

You sure they weren't just upset that he never sent them a fruit basket?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11818 on: January 23, 2018, 03:40:20 PM »

Was it about being gay in NYC in the 70's?
©@©™

etiolate

« Reply #11819 on: January 23, 2018, 03:43:22 PM »

A problematic Atari game.

In Pitfall Harriett you return to the jungle with your favorite hero-xine and use vines to cross dangerous traps, holes, and rivers filled with deadly Elton Johns from the Crocodile Rock era.

You can assume it'll be deadly and dangerous, but you better not assume their gender!