Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2174186 times)

Boredfrom

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #12000 on: January 24, 2018, 03:13:37 PM »
Optimus, why the fuck you are posting again your defense for Evilore if you are not defending him?

Himu

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #12001 on: January 24, 2018, 03:18:28 PM »
Though many cishet Black men would not use these words to describe their experience, I argue that the relationship between Black men and their barbers is a homoerotic one. Furthermore, their refusal to acknowledge it as intimate not only reinforces hegemonic masculinity, but it also aids in the demonization of queer Black men.
http://blackyouthproject.com/the-black-barbershop-is-both-toxic-and-intimate-for-cishet-black-men/

(Image removed from quote.)

kill me

Satire? This shit just makes the gap between LGBT and non-LGBT black folks even wider. Fuck that queer shit. This is exactly why I cannot stand queers and their militancy. Truly putting the queer in queer, making crazy ass shit like this.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12002 on: January 24, 2018, 03:20:57 PM »
Though many cishet Black men would not use these words to describe their experience, I argue that the relationship between Black men and their barbers is a homoerotic one. Furthermore, their refusal to acknowledge it as intimate not only reinforces hegemonic masculinity, but it also aids in the demonization of queer Black men.
http://blackyouthproject.com/the-black-barbershop-is-both-toxic-and-intimate-for-cishet-black-men/

kill me

Getting your hair did  :fabulous
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #12003 on: January 24, 2018, 03:23:34 PM »
What about the salon? Is the salon toxic too? The only thing toxic about the salon are the prices those bitches put on you. 100 dollars for a twist out.....lol, girrrrl. Bye. Hello Youtube.

I forgot to mention those salons that are African owned and they TRY TO RIP YOUR HAIR OUT FROM THE ROOT. Those Africans are cold blooded mf'ers. OMG. Never again.
IYKYK

etiolate

« Reply #12004 on: January 24, 2018, 03:24:08 PM »
Slayven
You probably post about me on another board.

:umad :lol

Is that new?

Himu

« Reply #12005 on: January 24, 2018, 03:24:58 PM »
Slayven

Is that new?

He been having that. It's a ki.
IYKYK

Boredfrom

« Reply #12006 on: January 24, 2018, 03:25:38 PM »
Slayven

Is that new?

No. That tag has been there for months. Still funny.

nudemacusers

« Reply #12008 on: January 24, 2018, 04:01:45 PM »
It's an undertaking, but going back and reviewing bishoptl and besada's bans particularly are on the agenda. We also have 1000 accounts in the approval queue; we're just taking things slow and trying to shape things in a positive direction on a smaller scale first before we bring a lot more folks in. We'll also look into initiatives like giving members in good standing an invite for instant access for a friend etc., lots of other stuff. We have so many options now on the new platform and we will utilize them as best we can. :)

Dennis, buddy, now's your chance!!
I feel like freenudemacusers1’s account should take priority
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #12009 on: January 24, 2018, 04:01:52 PM »
User has been banned (24h): trying to bait users with poor whataboutism.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/3700042/

I bet certain users clenched up seeing that ban.  JK, they will just be commended for baiting users with good whataboutism
sigh

agrajag

« Reply #12010 on: January 24, 2018, 04:02:18 PM »
fight over Evilore brehs  :crowdlaff

etiolate

« Reply #12011 on: January 24, 2018, 04:04:04 PM »
If you want to fuck Resetera up in that Peterson thread, then point out his psychoanalytical take is the same argument as suspecting that every heavily evangelical anti-gay politician is secretly homosexual.

tummyfat

« Reply #12012 on: January 24, 2018, 04:05:43 PM »
I'm so happy Evilore mentioned besada being awful at handing out bans 

Hopefully this will get him to reactivate his Twitter account to speak out against the hate machine rewriting history and the missing Christmas presents.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #12013 on: January 24, 2018, 04:09:07 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/jordan-peterson-feminists-support-muslims-because-of-desire-for-brutal-male-domination.18620/

Here we go

User banned for one week for not viewing evidence, and continued to argue in bad faith
I feel this "quote" is going to be something that is misrepresented or misunderstood.

Holy fucking shit this place!!!!  :anhuld

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #12014 on: January 24, 2018, 04:12:42 PM »
Are we allowed to talk about any forum here or just the GAF diaspora?

I've linked some forums I'm a member of as well. Mostly dumb drama.
rub

Leadbelly

« Reply #12015 on: January 24, 2018, 04:12:57 PM »
Okay so the full clip has been posted, and the clip etoilete provides gives further context.

Peterson states that he can't understand this alliance except in maybe a psychoanalyitical sense. Psychoanalysis is a study of the unconscious which is more the Freudian style of psychology. It is worth pointing out that he is talking about unconscious desires, not conscious ones. He says that overemphasis of radical equality in the conscious mind, might be leading to an unconscious balancing act.

Putting whether it is a correct analysis to one side, it seems obvious that he doesn't mean it is something they consciously desire. It is something going on deep within the psyche.

Optimus

• Lieutenant colonel, 26th Hate Machine battalion
« Reply #12016 on: January 24, 2018, 04:16:03 PM »
OK guys we have fresh new damning evidence of Peterson's bigotry: Circling the word they!

etiolate

« Reply #12017 on: January 24, 2018, 04:19:23 PM »
It's really a whole bunch of nothing in the end from a twitter account that seems to do nothing but edit clips to frame the ideological enemy of ...I don't know what. Globalist progressives? I don't care. It takes two minutes to search for context and explanation of everything posted in that thread.

Even the image of him supposedly making up the murder rate among Katos (because he's secretly a hack racist!) can be quickly found in a search.

https://ourworldindata.org/ethnographic-and-archaeological-evidence-on-violent-deaths

It's nothing but a feeding frenzy born of how poorly the Cathy Newman interview went for "their side". Amusingly, the entire thread is them acting out their sub-conscience fears that Peterson has merit.

Boredfrom

« Reply #12018 on: January 24, 2018, 04:19:34 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3717088/

this picture is great

it's a shame that one of the circled "they" is actually a case where it's not used as a genderless prounoun for people. the second "they" refers to "words". other than that this picture is perfect

:doge
Okay so the full clip has been posted, and the clip etoilete provides gives further context.

Peterson states that he can't understand this alliance except in maybe a psychoanalyitical sense. Psychoanalysis is a study of the unconscious which is more the Freudian style of psychology. It is worth pointing out that he is talking about unconscious desires, not conscious ones. He says that overemphasis of radical equality in the conscious mind, might be leading to an unconscious balancing act.

Putting whether it is a correct analysis to one side, it seems obvious that he doesn't mean it is something they consciously desire. It is something going on deep within the psyche.

Still sounds a little reductionist from his part.

El Babua

« Reply #12019 on: January 24, 2018, 04:24:38 PM »
Peterson's another case of chuds finding an intellectual foothold to coddle their shit beliefs.

He knows it and that's why he's banking while pandering to them.

etiolate

« Reply #12020 on: January 24, 2018, 04:25:02 PM »
All the circled "they" is referring to a plural group and not a singular individual. I really don't even know what the gotcha is supposed to be. That he understands plural pronouns?

Leadbelly

« Reply #12021 on: January 24, 2018, 04:29:21 PM »

Well, in the other video on it he states that he doesn't know whether he really believes it, just that it is something he has thought. One thing I think is being missed in this is that he is a psychologist. That is what he does. So when he thinks about something that doesn't quite make rational sense to him he tends to look at it more from a psychological perspective.

Boredfrom

« Reply #12022 on: January 24, 2018, 04:29:24 PM »
All the circled "they" is referring to a plural group and not a singular individual. I really don't even know what the gotcha is supposed to be. That he understands plural pronouns?

The gotcha is that Hieropant is an idiot but is not going to get called out so he will continue being a idiot.

Jansen

« Reply #12023 on: January 24, 2018, 04:31:40 PM »
Ban lengths on ERA are getting much longer now.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/3711092/

nudemacusers

« Reply #12024 on: January 24, 2018, 04:36:05 PM »
Resetera edges ever closer to the event horizon of the singularity that is dogmatically pure keyboard woke millennial progressivism
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #12025 on: January 24, 2018, 04:37:11 PM »
Resetera edges ever closer to the event horizon of the singularity that is dogmatically pure keyboard woke millennial progressivism
i think they've already reached it. can it get worse? i don't see how

nudemacusers

« Reply #12027 on: January 24, 2018, 04:38:23 PM »
I dunno

Oh btw as a follow up to the above neogaf is a trash pile don’t get me twisted
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #12028 on: January 24, 2018, 04:38:42 PM »
My whole point is that neogaf is better because it wasn't Evilore's actions but his laziness and his inaction to do anything about the lunatics that made that forum a shithole.

I got your point, you braying jackass. The point is:

Also "the forum is better now because Social Studies Warriors are gone!" :girlaff No, you idiot. It's better because far less people are posting on it. If half the board was "Social Studies Warrior" as you claim people to be when they disagree with you, it'd be like 1:1.5 on GAF or anywhere else. Their opinions don't mean shit when the sheer volume of posts means there's less "dissenting opinions" (Social Studies Warrior as you claim them) to post in opposition.'

Enjoy your dead board, though. Because again: No one cares.

etiolate

« Reply #12029 on: January 24, 2018, 04:40:44 PM »

The gotcha is that Hieropant is an idiot but is not going to get called out so he will continue being a idiot.

It's not just Heirophant. People are replying that its an amazing gotcha.  The fairest take I could give them is that it's not absolutely clear if the they is plural in his response. It reads like he's responding to all the people who request he use their pronouns, which is a plural, but it could at least be a vague or undefined person from a group referenced in that question he responds to with a "they" for which a "he or shoe" fits but not a he or a she fits grammatically.

They're being illiterate with pride.

Boredfrom

« Reply #12030 on: January 24, 2018, 04:41:10 PM »

Well, in the other video on it he states that he doesn't know whether he really believes it, just that it is something he has thought. One thing I think is being missed in this is that he is a psychologist. That is what he does. So when he thinks about something that doesn't quite make rational sense to him he tends to look at it more from a psychological perspective.

The thing is that is not a particularly original "Hot take" and can be easily labeled mysoginistic. I dont particularly see it being malicius (i dunno about the guy) but even in context seems to be a easy way to latch on him.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #12031 on: January 24, 2018, 04:41:11 PM »

wtf, dude should be perm'd for that comment.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #12032 on: January 24, 2018, 04:41:23 PM »

have seen drive bys pop off because of forums, be careful, you never know.
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

sounds like he deserves the ban for being distinguished mentally-challenged

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #12034 on: January 24, 2018, 04:42:20 PM »
This is a great story, thank you for sharing. Very important for everyone to read in its entirety.

This is why you have to be your own doctor as much as you have your own doctor, IMO. I don't know if this was in the U.S. (did you say above?), but I have very much found that I need to self diagnose in order to get closer to answers sometimes. Experimentation is also very necessary.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #12035 on: January 24, 2018, 04:44:08 PM »
I just watched this for the first time a couple days ago.

Feel like I understood everything I needed to know just from reviews and clips over the years.  Holy shit is it slow.  Also Tommy was barely in it, the whole movie was other people talking about him.  I didn't realize literally every line of dialogue he spoke had been part of a meme, I assumed there would be other things said by the lead character?

Also no less than four slow mo navel sex scenes accompanied by four different songs, my god

It's a mess. There's barely any plot. Half the scenes are just stand-alone shit that doesn't even matter.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #12036 on: January 24, 2018, 04:44:38 PM »

Boredfrom

Boredfrom

« Reply #12038 on: January 24, 2018, 04:49:32 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/cant-access-resetera-from-sega-dreamcast.18467/

:confused
Apparently whatever he started messing with actually fucked with the site for a bit, iirc they said 20 mins.

Some of the more special people here who F5 all day spotted that and freaked out.

I knew I was special.

etiolate

« Reply #12039 on: January 24, 2018, 04:50:13 PM »

The thing is that is not a particularly original "Hot take" and can be easily labeled mysoginistic. I dont particularly see it being malicius (i dunno about the guy) but even in context seems to be a easy way to latch on him.

Which is why it shows up on that twitter feed out of context. It's very apparent what is the aim of the clip.

Like I said earlier, its the same psychoanalytical view that the loudest evangelical anti-gay politicians have suppressed homosexual desires. It's not misogynistic, it's psychoanalytical. They perfectly understand the reason in one example, but have a conditioned emotional response to this clip.

it's not his only take on the Islam/Radfem friendliness. It's just the one for which a bad actor can align with the conditioned responses of the irrational audience they cater towards.  It's food for the mentally lazy and scared.

Leadbelly

« Reply #12040 on: January 24, 2018, 04:52:23 PM »

He was being labeled that anyway before this was unearthed. Anyone who has listened seriously to Jordan Peterson would know that there is very little in what he believes to suggest that. The truth is, he has views that run counter to a particular ideological perspective. Some people would go digging literally for any thing to discredit him. It has nothing to do with what Peterson thinks, I suspect it is attempt to deal with their own cognitive dissonance.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Boredfrom

« Reply #12042 on: January 24, 2018, 04:56:08 PM »

Which is why it shows up on that twitter feed out of context. It's very apparent what is the aim of the clip.

Like I said earlier, its the same psychoanalytical view that the loudest evangelical anti-gay politicians have suppressed homosexual desires. It's not misogynistic, it's psychoanalytical. They perfectly understand the reason in one example, but have a conditioned emotional response to this clip.

it's not his only take on the Islam/Radfem friendliness. It's just the one for which a bad actor can align with the conditioned responses of the irrational audience they cater towards.  It's food for the mentally lazy and scared.

I still feel that is pretty reductionist as I could another reasons why (power, recognition, genuine but superficial sympathy).

Optimus

• Lieutenant colonel, 26th Hate Machine battalion
« Reply #12043 on: January 24, 2018, 04:57:11 PM »
My whole point is that neogaf is better because it wasn't Evilore's actions but his laziness and his inaction to do anything about the lunatics that made that forum a shithole.

I got your point, you braying jackass. The point is: (Image removed from quote.)

Also "the forum is better now because Social Studies Warriors are gone!" :girlaff No, you idiot. It's better because far less people are posting on it. If half the board was "Social Studies Warrior" as you claim people to be when they disagree with you, it'd be like 1:1.5 on GAF or anywhere else. Their opinions don't mean shit when the sheer volume of posts means there's less "dissenting opinions" (Social Studies Warrior as you claim them) to post in opposition.'

Enjoy your dead board, though. Because again: No one cares.

No distinguished mentally-challenged fellow, it's undeniably better because the SJ Ws that were controlling it are gone not because it's slower, there are plenty people I can disagree with there from Trumptards to neoliberals and identity politics nuts. The fact that you're in denial about it proves one of my point about pathetic fucks like you whining about SJ W havens like resetera but then discreetly defending the same lunatics and their ideology any chance you get. Thanks for that I guess. Now fuck off.

etiolate

« Reply #12044 on: January 24, 2018, 05:03:53 PM »

I still feel that is pretty reductionist as I could another reasons why (power, recognition, genuine but superficial sympathy).

It's about suppressed elements and not his only take on the issue. In both video clips, other reasons are given as well. The suppressed sub-conscience take is just the most tantalizing.

This shit requires a certain intellectual and emotional maturity that a Reset lacks. You have to entertain various explanations and views, and filter through them. You often have to ask the scary thing to know whether its true or not.

Jansen

« Reply #12045 on: January 24, 2018, 05:07:18 PM »

have seen drive bys pop off because of forums, be careful, you never know.
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

sounds like he deserves the ban for being distinguished mentally-challenged

for sure. I'm just noticing that instead of the hand slaps of 24/48hr bans weeks and month long bans are becoming more frequent.

Boredfrom

« Reply #12046 on: January 24, 2018, 05:11:08 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/cant-access-resetera-from-sega-dreamcast.18467/

:confused
Apparently whatever he started messing with actually fucked with the site for a bit, iirc they said 20 mins.

Some of the more special people here who F5 all day spotted that and freaked out.

I knew I was special.
You're not a bad poster, I just assumed it was somebody here who practically froths at the mouth when they post.

Don’t worry, I was not offended.

agrajag

« Reply #12047 on: January 24, 2018, 05:17:13 PM »
Some of you are getting way too heated over some sjw cucks  :doge

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #12048 on: January 24, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #12049 on: January 24, 2018, 05:25:35 PM »
filler just liked that comment because he's still mad about the custom tag thing
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12050 on: January 24, 2018, 05:27:37 PM »
 ::)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12051 on: January 24, 2018, 05:28:43 PM »
 :pitbull

etiolate

« Reply #12052 on: January 24, 2018, 05:36:57 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3720066/

:lol

We realized this a little later this time for some reason.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #12053 on: January 24, 2018, 05:37:45 PM »
Wowwwwwww
每天生气

Jansen

« Reply #12054 on: January 24, 2018, 05:43:07 PM »
they need to get rid of sweetnicole asap.what an embarrassment

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12055 on: January 24, 2018, 05:44:34 PM »
sweetnicole seems a bit bitter  :doge

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #12056 on: January 24, 2018, 05:48:03 PM »
sweetnicole sounds like the name of a spambot from a porno site ad

railGUN

• If my bones are breaking would you tell me that I'm weak?
« Reply #12057 on: January 24, 2018, 05:50:40 PM »
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/revisiting-when-the-left-turns-on-its-own-from-back-in-june-2017-and-healing-neogaf-off-topic-in-2018.1460712/

Last June we had a thread about the Evergreen campus scandal, and I felt like things had completely gone off the rails on NeoGAF Off-Topic, manifesting in that thread in particular. My mods were either on board with the thread or scared of the backlash for speaking out, and I take responsibility for my failures there, but at any rate I ended up writing something in there that I feel is still relevant to circumstances now. It was concerning hate mobs on the left, echo chambers, and the damage that was done when bishoptl went rogue and banned hundreds of people immediately after the election in secret. It did a lot of harm and I think contributed at least to some extent to the powderkeg that ended up forming later in the year. Anyway, since it was thrown deep in an existing thread and didn't get much visibility, I figured I'd repost it here. For full context, read a bit of the rest of the thread regarding Evergreen.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/when...own-nyt-opinion.1384767/page-6#post-239047632

"
This is all very reminiscent of what happened to off-topic for a couple months post-election. Of course, that madness turned out to be directly induced through sabotage by a now-former admin secretly banning *hundreds* of members totally outside of any justifiable grounds (not that any attempt at justification was made to begin with, being undisclosed and undocumented bans) in some 85-90% of each of those bans that were subsequently investigated after we became aware of the incident.

NeoGAF is a discussion forum; the whole point is to disseminate information and debate it, on civil terms, in an atmosphere that encourages healthy skepticism, fact-checking and credible sourcing, challenging preexisting worldviews and talking points and biases by providing a platform for a diverse audience to contribute, etc. And yes, the site does lean progressive, because it is inclusive and evidence-based and intolerant of hate speech. But while there are core values associated with this place, there's no point in discussion without providing a framework that allows for multiple perspectives to engage with each other.

I mention all this because, particularly for those couple months I mentioned when anyone trying to operate in good faith within the aforementioned parameters I've set up for this place ended up sniped en masse, Off-Topic suddenly became unrecognizable to me some 15 or 16 years after we set this side of the forum up. The place kinda turned into what this Evergreen outcome sounds like: with everyone who tried to contribute to civil discourse systematically thrown down the well, the remaining members either stayed silent or radicalized up, and we were left with a squad of polarized "progressives" unwilling to have a conversation with anyone about issues, repeating the same talking points in every thread to each other in a self-righteous echo chamber, newly confident that any non-conformity would be driven out or otherwise made to disappear. This was not just ostracizing people attempting to challenge reductive, exclusionary "with us or against us" polarized rhetoric, either (and that should absolutely be challenged), but also anyone even trying to have a conversation within that radicalized bubble. People were driven out, character assassinated, labeled traitor for "not sounding angry enough," or for not being entirely on board with ostracizing someone else for the same reasons.

There's nothing righteous, informed, or progressive about that. It's just a sanctimonious, vitriolic, self-destructive circle jerk that drives out the kind of people most valuable to discussion: not the "retweet my Side and quote it in yells or else you're The Enemy" people, but the people engaging on each individual issue with critical thought and an open mind, willingness and capacity to perform independent investigation into the materials initially presented, come to an independent conclusion and present it, and to allow the same from folks who have made similar effort but with different credible sources or different justifiable conclusions than your own.

That's the sort of thing I'm seeing here. Professor's conclusions about the event that prompted the protests should certainly be challenged, but he did justify his positions reasonably and stay civil throughout the argument he presented. Yeah, that annual event change-up is a complicated issue, as we can see by all the folks here struggling with the right and wrong of it, so it's absolutely a legitimate topic for an academic debate. And that's all he did: debate the merits of it and the campus ethics of an exclusionary event with what he felt were undercurrents of pressure to comply or end up branded a racist/traitor/whatever.

...and now we're seeing exactly that, with an aggressive push for his removal, threats against him, and even an order issued that the chief of campus police not take measures to ensure the professor's safety on campus.

Smear campaign articles posted earlier here that attribute *swastikas* being spraypainted by some apparent alt-right dickwads who have involved themselves here, and doxxing alleged to have occurred at some point along the way by third parties unrelated to the professor (alt-right again apparently latching onto this), all somehow ultimately being the the fault of this *progressive activist Jewish professor* (who as far as I can tell has sound credentials, and who one of his long-time students personally vouched for in this thread as someone who wouldn't have a disingenuous, racially motivated angle with this thing) for daring to break formation and have an academic conversation that scrutinized something on "the progressive side" that day.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

World isn't binary, folks. Hyper-partisan, radical, binary, "us or them" environments with constant purity tests demanding adherence to the pre-established talking point of the hour breeds ignorance, intolerance, hate, and self-destruction.

This is why we talk about things. This is why diversity of background/ethnicity/orientation/culture is important within an environment like a campus or a message board: not just as an outcome better representing the diversity of the population it's pulling its membership body from, but critically for the diversity of perspective that results from that intense microcosm you've built, and the insight and nuance of thought it can bring to each participant when they share an appropriately moderated space and each have a fair voice.

That's why we talk about things."

:gurl
Fish<

agrajag

« Reply #12058 on: January 24, 2018, 05:50:56 PM »
filler just liked that comment because he's still mad about the custom tag thing

A filler like is like the kiss of death

Rman

« Reply #12059 on: January 24, 2018, 05:51:48 PM »
I'd think the fomer GAF now ERA community would be done with easy outrage bait, but they fall every time.  Don't they get tired?