Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2174535 times)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #13320 on: January 31, 2018, 04:26:18 PM »
MH2 > MH> MH3 > MHW > MH4

Disclaimer: I've never played any MH.

Himu

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #13321 on: January 31, 2018, 04:27:40 PM »
Like I said, I don't follow games to the nitty gritty details. I had never read a single interview for Monster Hunter World nor did I know what the developers aims were.

IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #13322 on: January 31, 2018, 04:28:09 PM »
Yeah, it's shit like you don't have to hunt your  mark. In old MH, you didn't get a fucking lazy ass thing that automatically told you where the monster was. You had to actually "hunt" it by finding its location by yourself and then you had to mark it with paint so it'd show up on your map. MHW not only gives you hints on where the monster is, it gives you a literal trail via the bugs and auto maps the monster on the map for you without effort.

I never used the paintballs. The flying monsters on the 3DS version had a texture seam in the exact middle of the round shadow they'd leave on the ground when flying away. You literally just had to step in the middle of the shadow texture and look the way it flies. You'd then look at the minimap and since your character shows up as an arrow it'd point at the exact location you need to be.

Ground monsters you'd just run after.

Himu

« Reply #13323 on: January 31, 2018, 04:31:05 PM »

You are the most sensitive and impossible to argue with person I've ever met on the internet, and that's saying a LOT.

Good. Then I'm doing something right.

:aah
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #13324 on: January 31, 2018, 04:34:08 PM »
I dunno, Nintendrones really took MH for granted for years even when it was known it was partialy moneyhated by Nintendo to be in portable in the first place. The franchise started as a console game to begin with.
It went to PSP ages before it showed up on 3DS.

And then they didn’t bother to port to Vita even when it could have made okey money in Japan.

The game was Moneyhated, dude.

His point is that it was on PSP first for "portable." "Moneyhat" or not, Nintendo got it as a sloppy-second.

Himu

« Reply #13325 on: January 31, 2018, 04:34:54 PM »
It's a stramwan because you picked one game, and used only one guy to prove and example, when I listened multiple games and two guys. One of whom is famous for saying,"your games suck" to Japanese game developers you complete fucking moron.

I asked you a question about one of your examples, that is not a straw man.  I'm not questioning you entire statement and I couldn't care less about Jonathon Blow.  And hell, it's the only game that really even matters in the West... Yakuza sold a few hundred K.. and Persona is niche too.. MHW is a huge hit.

You are the most sensitive and impossible to argue with person I've ever met on the internet, and that's saying a LOT.

Definition: Strawman - an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

"I asked you a question about one of your examples, that is not a straw man."

"I'm not questioning you entire statement and I couldn't care less about Jonathon Blow."

Isn't MHW so popular because they copied many Western tropes?

Like.. sort of makes Jonathon Blow's point for him..
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #13326 on: January 31, 2018, 04:36:47 PM »
The only sign I need that Japanese games changed and got better over the last decade is Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword vs BOTW

Jansen

« Reply #13327 on: January 31, 2018, 04:38:15 PM »
It's a stramwan because you picked one game, and used only one guy to prove and example, when I listened multiple games and two guys. One of whom is famous for saying,"your games suck" to Japanese game developers you complete fucking moron.

I asked you a question about one of your examples, that is not a straw man.  I'm not questioning you entire statement and I couldn't care less about Jonathon Blow.  And hell, it's the only game that really even matters in the West... Yakuza sold a few hundred K.. and Persona is niche too.. MHW is a huge hit.

Were you around on gaf before himuro was perma'd?

Boredfrom

« Reply #13328 on: January 31, 2018, 04:40:44 PM »
I dunno, Nintendrones really took MH for granted for years even when it was known it was partialy moneyhated by Nintendo to be in portable in the first place. The franchise started as a console game to begin with.
It went to PSP ages before it showed up on 3DS.

And then they didn’t bother to port to Vita even when it could have made okey money in Japan.

The game was Moneyhated, dude.

His point is that it was on PSP first for "portable." "Moneyhat" or not, Nintendo got it as a sloppy-second.

And Nintendo got Monster Hunter 3 and 4, for 3ds first.

My point is that Nintendo played a big role in mainting MH in their Portable consoles first. Thats why many people are thrilled to have a console MH. 

Himu

« Reply #13329 on: January 31, 2018, 04:42:59 PM »

Definition: Strawman - an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

"I asked you a question about one of your examples, that is not a straw man."

"I'm not questioning you entire statement and I couldn't care less about Jonathon Blow."

Isn't MHW so popular because they copied many Western tropes?

Like.. sort of makes Jonathon Blow's point for him..

You defeated yourself when you claimed both that Monster Hunter hadn't changed and that it was babbies first Monster Hunter. 

And how is pointing out that they changed MHW to appeal to Western Audiences not direcrtly addressing your argument?  I didn't address your ENTIRE COMMENT because I don't know jack shit about the completely irrelevant other games you mentioned that sold nowhere near the 5 million MHW did in it's first couple of weeks.

And I don't care about Jonathon Blow;  I don't even know WTF he said other than that Japanese games need to change.. or maybe that was Phil Fish.  It's completely beside the point because he has little to do with your point in the first place.. you are making fun of Western "gamers" and just used Jonathon Blow as an aside.

I never claimed MHW was the exact same thing, which is ridiculous. If you read my posts in the MHW thread, you'd know that. I didn't defeat myself. I can admit that some elements were more streamlined, but the core experience was still MH. MHW is still MH. I can say that and still admit that it's babbies first MH. The premise of your argument is ridiculous.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #13330 on: January 31, 2018, 04:58:06 PM »
You're examples suck cindi.

Persona didn't really exist last gen.

Yakuza was mishandled by its own publisher and at the end of the day wasn't really hated on.

Monster Hunter was ignored because it was on handheld. Handhelds are ignored yes, but that also means they weren't critized as examples of Japanese games being bad.

On the console side is where Japanese games were critized and it's not hard to seee why. They had an identity crsis, didn't make anything epoch making, and weren't apart of current trends.

There was no big Japanese game that seemed important like say Bioshock. There was no Japanese Call of Duty. There was no Japanese Gears of War that defined a play style.

Metal Gear Solid had 4, which was early in the gen and at the end of the day was a fan game only. It was not genre defying. We all know how FFXIII went. Even fan darlings like Nier were rightfully critized as not fun to play.

The most you could say about the JRPG genre on consoles was that it had some ok games, but nothing that screamed pay attention or this is interesting. For all it's faults, XV is at least unique.

You had series like Ace Combat lose thier personality with games like AH and then kind of fade away as Japan didn't know what to do.

I mean yes Dark Souls and whatnot was a bright spot but people also love to play down its Japanese ness. Oh it's not anime so it looks western!

I'm not saying there weren't plenty of good Japanese console games, but they weren't the taste of that gen.

Why do they seem fresh now? Probably because tastes have changed again, but also because this industry has shifted.

No one is making Bioshock.

EA is fuck all and not making stuff like Mirrors Edge or Dead Space.

Fallout 4 was another Bethesda game.

Ubisoft almost is a genre of game now.

Rockstar takes forever.

CoD is an old hat now.

Western games have gotten normal, that's it. It's not a big deal.

But also because in your examples.

Yakuza finally got a spotlight on it. Brings in new people.

Persona 5 finally comes out and builds on the word of mouth from Persona 4 8 years later. Brings in new people.

MH has nice visuals and is on a system the core can look at and understand. Of course it brings new people.

If anything this gen has shown Japanese developers have a grip on what they want to actually do.

Nier no longer sucks to play and still delivers a "deep" story.

Fighters are embracing esports, but also what Netherrealm figured out. People do care about single player content.

Ace Combat 7 is a real AC game.

You didn't have Team Ninja make NioH into this Quantum Theroy like western focused game. They kept in Japan and filled it with Japanese mythology.

Square may have made FFXV open world because that's what western and honestly Japanese console gamers like, but they still had the details and character shit that makes Japanese games feel a bit more personable. They didn't try and make everyone some hard ass Marcus Fenix like that you saw in plenty of Capcom, Konami, and Namco console games of that gen.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 05:03:15 PM by Rahxephon91 »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #13331 on: January 31, 2018, 05:00:52 PM »
Also let’s admit it. New Trilogy sucks ass and the only good Star Wars is the Classic Trilogy.

ftfy

FTFTFY.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #13332 on: January 31, 2018, 05:01:47 PM »
No one is making Bioshock.

Look at who didn't play Prey.

Himu

« Reply #13333 on: January 31, 2018, 05:04:56 PM »
There was no Persona last gen, but Persona 3 and 4 both came out in the middle of last gen. They were late ps2 games and no one gave a shit then. If Persona 5, the same exact game, came out on ps3 in say, 2011, no one would have given a shit about P5 and we still would have heard "Japanese games suck." I guarantee you wouldn't see Persona 5 ps3 2011 in the running for, much less winning, the best RPG at the VGA's. I don't really care if you think my examples suck. Last gen there was a heavy anti-Japanese game sentiment and this gen suddenly people are slobbering over series they would have ignored just five years ago. We see this in releases like Nier Automata. Who bought Nier? Fucking nobody. I'm not the first weeaboo gamer to notice it either so :idont
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #13334 on: January 31, 2018, 05:06:49 PM »
I didn't play Pret because I actually think Bioshock sucks and I don't really like immersive first person games like Prey.

But my point stands. No one has made that Bioshock game that captures people with its storytelling and feels like it's uplifting the genre. Nier Automata kind of actually, but that was an actual surprise more than anything.

If anything Pret proves my point. It kind of looked like been there done that and this gen people seem to not want the same as last gen.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #13335 on: January 31, 2018, 05:10:52 PM »
Just sounds like the load of gamers that came into the hobby in the 360/PS3 era are growing up.

It's melting my cynical, old, frozen gamer heart. :'(

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #13336 on: January 31, 2018, 05:10:53 PM »
No one gave a shit about Persona 4? What? That's the first Persona people did give a shit about

Himu

« Reply #13337 on: January 31, 2018, 05:12:05 PM »
The original, when it released on ps2, no one gave a shit about P4. It eventually grew a base because of Giant Bomb and Golden, but at release?
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #13338 on: January 31, 2018, 05:14:14 PM »
Maybe on GAF. Shit was huge on my homebase back then.

Gametrailers...

Himu

« Reply #13339 on: January 31, 2018, 05:14:21 PM »
Just sounds like the load of gamers that came into the hobby in the 360/PS3 era are growing up.

It's melting my cynical, old, frozen gamer heart. :'(

:lol

I'm not talking about people new to the genre or games or series. If you're new. Cool. My problem is with the people who said for ten fucking years how bad Japanese games were and now they're nutting over weeb shit talking about how "unique" it is. How much you wanna bet a lot of the wrpg people who said jrpgs were archaic bought Persona 5 are now shooting a load over their waifu's?
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #13340 on: January 31, 2018, 05:16:06 PM »
It has a 90 on Metacritic, so that's a pretty good response from the West. And the Endurance Run was only about 3 months after release, that's pretty close to launch.

Also the highest selling PS2 game on Amazon for two weeks after launch
https://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21886

Himu

« Reply #13341 on: January 31, 2018, 05:18:01 PM »
The amount of "japanese rpgs are archaic" threads I and Segata, Aeana, Charlequin, Ethelred, and Dragona had to suffer through at neogaf :stahp

Never forget :usacry
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #13342 on: January 31, 2018, 05:18:46 PM »
There was no Persona last gen, but Persona 3 and 4 both came out in the middle of last gen. They were late ps2 games and no one gave a shit then. If Persona 5, the same exact game, came out on ps3 in say, 2011, no one would have given a shit about P5 and we still would have heard "Japanese games suck." I guarantee you wouldn't see Persona 5 ps3 2011 in the running for, much less winning, the best RPG at the VGA's. I don't really care if you think my examples suck. Last gen there was a heavy anti-Japanese game sentiment and this gen suddenly people are slobbering over series they would have ignored just five years ago. We see this in releases like Nier Automata. Who bought Nier? Fucking nobody. I'm not the first weeaboo gamer to notice it either so :idont
Well this is kind of wrong.

If Persona 5 came out in 2011 people would have been all over it. Catherine sold well and got attention because of P3 and 4. Persona 4 portable sold well and got attention because of P3 and P4. If P5 had come out and been as good as it is now it would have sold just as well. People were hungry for a good JRPG?

Because how do you explain Ni No Kuni? Which only has a sequel because of western sales. Even fucking Tales was allowed to prosper last gen.

There was an ant Japanese sentiment because on consoles they weren't at thier best and weren't in vogue.

Who bought Nier? No one because the game sucks. People bought Nier Automata because quite frankly it was a better presented product. Mostly thanks to Platnium who did receive plenty of praise last gen.

But also Japanese companies have gotten a clue this gen.

Namco went from sidelining and not localizing stuff to basicly bringing out every Japanese game and not trying products like Enslaved. Also by letting its ip like Ace Combat and Tekken be thwmselves.

Square has realized there's value in smaller games and consoles.

Sega seems to understand how to leverage its Japanese games now probably thanks to Atlus.

If anything Japanese companies have thier expectations in check and that's the real difference. They aren't chasing CoD numbers anymore. Even Capcom has realistic expectations now and seems to actually not making huge over expensive games like RE6. Sure they had to double down on ports and reexamine themselves but they are better now then where they were 2 years ago.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #13343 on: January 31, 2018, 05:19:43 PM »
The original, when it released on ps2, no one gave a shit about P4. It eventually grew a base because of Giant Bomb and Golden, but at release?
Thats not at all true. Persona 4 was pretty big for a niche JRPG.

Himu

« Reply #13344 on: January 31, 2018, 05:20:18 PM »
Catherine sold well? Let's find the receipts. Catherine sold 500k worldwide. That's niche af.
IYKYK

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #13345 on: January 31, 2018, 05:22:46 PM »
jesus christ shut up you fucking nerds

Rahxephon91

« Reply #13346 on: January 31, 2018, 05:24:54 PM »
Catherine sold well? Let's find the receipts. Catherine sold 500k worldwide. That's niche af.
Eh no one is arguing these games aren't niche. Catherine was thier biggest sucseas at that point.

I mean even this gen these highly praised Japanese games are still niche. Yes they sell maybe a million, 2 million. But it's not like any of them are giants.

Himu

« Reply #13347 on: January 31, 2018, 05:26:18 PM »

That Gamasutra link doesn't mean anything. Persona 4 came out in 2008. PS2 was a dead system by then in terms of SW and most everyone moved on. Topping the chart means very little.

HW sales of December 2008, the month Persona 4 came out.

Nintendo DS - 3.04 million
    Wii - 2.15 million
    Xbox 360 - 1.44 million
    PlayStation Portable - 1.02 million
    PlayStation 3 - 726,000
    PlayStation 2 - 410,000

Top 20 software sales:

Wii Play w/ remote (Wii) – 1.46 million
    Call of Duty: World at War (X360) – 1.33 million*
    Wii Fit w/ balance board (Wii) – 999K
    Mario Kart Wii w/ wheel (Wii) – 979K
    Guitar Hero: World Tour (Wii) – 850K*
    Gears of War 2 (X360) – 745K*
    Left 4 Dead (X360) – 629K
    Mario Kart (NDS) – 540K
    Call of Duty: World at War (PS3) – 533K
    Animal Crossing: City Folk (Wii) – 497K*
    Wii Music (Wii) - 487,000[2]LTD of 865k and then subtract Oct and Nov months)
    New Super Mario Bros. (NDS)
    Personal Trainer: Cooking (NDS)
    Fallout 3* (X360)
    Club Penguin: Elite Penguin Force (NDS)
    Link's Crossbow Training (Wii)
    Guitar Hero World Tour* (PS2)
    Madden NFL 09* (X360)
    Call Of Duty: World At War (Wii)
    Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip (Wii)- 366k [3][4][5]

It doesn't even show up on the top 20. This game you're saying which was super successful at release.

IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #13348 on: January 31, 2018, 05:30:02 PM »
Where's my Binary Domain 2 now the Yakuza team is having succes? Shit japanese devs...

Rahxephon91

« Reply #13349 on: January 31, 2018, 05:31:19 PM »

That Gamasutra link doesn't mean anything. Persona 4 came out in 2008. PS2 was a dead system by then in terms of SW and most everyone moved on. Topping the chart means very little.

Wii - 2.15 million
    Xbox 360 - 1.44 million
    PlayStation 3 - 726,000
    PlayStation 2 - 410,000

Top 20 software sales:

Mario Kart (NDS) – 540K
    Fallout 3* (X360)
    Madden NFL 09* (X360)

It doesn't even show up on the top 20. This game you're saying which was super successful at release.
What is your argument? That no one cares about Persona or that releatice to what the series it wasn't successful?

Or is your argument simply to satisfy your "I liked it before it was cool" rhetoric.

Persona 4 was successful. It sold well for a niche JRPG and continued to sell well. The portable game sold well as well. Of course selling well here means selling maybe 500,000 copies.

Raist

« Reply #13350 on: January 31, 2018, 05:31:46 PM »
If she were my daughter, I'd be in jail for murdering the kid's parents. What failures they are. I can't wait to see the what the punishment is for all the kids involved.

:badass

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note: the daughter in question had her wig snatched by some kid, while another recorded that + her crying in the bathroom, and posted it on facebook or whatevs
[close]

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #13351 on: January 31, 2018, 05:32:03 PM »
Dragons Dogma 2 when?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #13352 on: January 31, 2018, 05:33:00 PM »
First it was "no one gave a shit about Persona 4". Yet it had the Endurance Run right after launch, got a 90 on Metacritic, and topped charts for its console when it came out.

Now the goalpost is shifting to "It wasn't a top software release overall". Welcome to the definition of niche games. Just modify your statement to exclude Persona 4 from the 'no one gave a shit' and it'd be accurate. No need to keep changing your goalpost.

Himu

« Reply #13353 on: January 31, 2018, 05:37:37 PM »
First it was "no one gave a shit about Persona 4". Yet it had the Endurance Run right after launch, got a 90 on Metacritic, and topped charts for its console when it came out.

Now the goalpost is shifting to "It wasn't a top software release overall". Welcome to the definition of niche games. Just modify your statement to exclude Persona 4 from the 'no one gave a shit' and it'd be accurate. No need to keep changing your goalpost.

I haven't really moved any goal posts lel.

I said no one gave a shit about P4 at release. I used the software sales to prove that. :idont
IYKYK

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #13354 on: January 31, 2018, 05:38:59 PM »
Star Wars > GotG > Battlestar Galatica > Star Trek > Star Ocean > Hillary Clinton
dur

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #13355 on: January 31, 2018, 05:39:35 PM »
Sigh.

FFVI>>>>>>>>>>>The last Jedi
que

Rahxephon91

« Reply #13356 on: January 31, 2018, 05:39:41 PM »
Well then no one ever really gave a shit about Japanese games outside of the big ones and they still don't.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #13357 on: January 31, 2018, 05:39:56 PM »
Bears > Beets > Battlestar Galactica

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #13358 on: January 31, 2018, 05:40:46 PM »
Hillary sucks but Star Ocean?  :donot
You need a frame of reference for the suckage. I find it completely valid.
que

Partition

« Reply #13359 on: January 31, 2018, 05:42:57 PM »
trolling gaf with an alt isn't even fun anymore

Himu

« Reply #13360 on: January 31, 2018, 05:43:50 PM »
WRPGs are still king though, by far.. Mass Effect Andromeda which is probably the most made fun of game in history easily sold twice what persona 5 did (with no Japan boost.).. Fallout 4 makes both look like indie titles..

JRPGs are now pretty damn niche in the West.. and I don't see why you think that's changed.  They've always had quite a few fans, particularly on places like NeoGAF.

Um.

Let me tell you Japanese rpg sales basics.

Once upon a time, 200-250k was your sales max, because jrpg fans tended to be a dedicated bunch and if your game was good we'd buy it. Aside from Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, this was the rule. There were exceptions like Dragon Quest VIII where they would pad the sales by putting in a demo but that would max out at like, 700-800k.

But the run of it is that jrpgs were never popular. Only Final Fantasy, Pokemon, and Kingdom Hearts were popular.

Persona 5 and Nier Automata selling 1 million changes the game. Even during the psx era,  the best a non-FF title would sell for was 100-200k. This number has stayed flat and consistent for years. Generations even. Didn't Final Fantasy VI (III) sell something like 250-300k when it came out on the SNES? So to say "nothing has changed" "they're still niche" is to be ignorant of actual JRPG sales in the west.
IYKYK

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #13361 on: January 31, 2018, 05:44:43 PM »
trolling gaf with an alt isn't even fun anymore

i agree. more often than not, they just agree with my trolling.  :maf

Himu

« Reply #13362 on: January 31, 2018, 05:48:00 PM »

How does any of that not make WRPGs still king, by far?

Who is even arguing they aren't? :mindblown

The point is that you're acting it's not a big deal. Games like P5 and Nier Automata selling what they have is absolutely incredible if you have been following the genre and its sales in any form.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #13363 on: January 31, 2018, 05:50:05 PM »
FF15 was the best Ubisoft game.

Jansen

« Reply #13364 on: January 31, 2018, 05:50:20 PM »

Wii - 2.15 million
    Xbox 360 - 1.44 million
    PlayStation 3 - 726,000
    PlayStation 2 - 410,000

Top 20 software sales:

Mario Kart (NDS) – 540K
    Fallout 3* (X360)
    Madden NFL 09* (X360)

Or is your argument simply to satisfy your "I liked it before it was cool" rhetoric.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #13365 on: January 31, 2018, 05:53:30 PM »

Raist

« Reply #13366 on: January 31, 2018, 05:56:13 PM »

Himu

« Reply #13367 on: January 31, 2018, 05:56:22 PM »
What is your argument? That no one cares about Persona or that releatice to what the series it wasn't successful?

Persona 4 was successful. It sold well for a niche JRPG and continued to sell well. The portable game sold well as well. Of course selling well here means selling maybe 500,000 copies.

Persona 4 ps2 was successful. For an Atlus game (at the time). When P4 came out, no one gave a shit about it. I have used the sales data to argue to my point. The Endurance Run, and then later Golden re-release put Persona 4 in a category of being exception because it sold more than the typical 250k max. But it's still pretty niche. My argument is that I don't think Persona 5 would be as successful then as it was now. I think it would have sold okay for a niche game, but definitely not 1 million. Didn't Persona 5 also win best rpg at the Game Awards? If Persona 5 came out in 2011, as a niche jrpg, do you think it would have won that? Much less been nominated?

That's all I'm saying.

I'm happy that they're finally getting recognition, but my problem is entirely with the people who said jrpgs suck, how jrpgs are archaic are now fellating Atlus' cock. I just find it funny as fuck while at the same time being absolutely infuriating, and I shouldn't have to explain why.
IYKYK

Boredfrom

« Reply #13368 on: January 31, 2018, 05:56:34 PM »
Wait, we are pretending that Persona 5 didnt sell well?

Boredfrom

« Reply #13369 on: January 31, 2018, 06:04:20 PM »

No; it was successful.  No one said it wasn't.

It wasn't some massive hit though in the West; it did well.

Persona is still a pretty niche game;  a little over a million sold outside of Japan.. across platforms with 150+ million install base.

I really don't think it's some super relevant game that makes some argument that suddenly Western gamers are gobbling up Japanese games.

MHW certainly counts with nearly 5 million sales almost instantly. it's a massive hit.  Persona is a successful niche game.

???

Boredfrom

« Reply #13370 on: January 31, 2018, 06:06:46 PM »

No; it was successful.  No one said it wasn't.

It wasn't some massive hit though in the West; it did well.

Persona is still a pretty niche game;  a little over a million sold outside of Japan.. across platforms with 150+ million install base.

I really don't think it's some super relevant game that makes some argument that suddenly Western gamers are gobbling up Japanese games.

MHW certainly counts with nearly 5 million sales almost instantly. it's a massive hit.  Persona is a successful niche game.

???

Ummm.. you literally just quoted me saying it's a successful game.

"BUT NICHE. DONT COMPARE, IS NICHE. ONE MILLION AND RECOGNITION FROM DORITOS POPE? Pffft"

Himu

« Reply #13371 on: January 31, 2018, 06:17:59 PM »
Let's be honest. Games that sell 25 million are exceptions. Using them as the rule is distinguished mentally-challenged. That's not to say 1 million isn't niche, but using software that sales 25 million as evidence is ridiculous. lol
IYKYK

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #13372 on: January 31, 2018, 06:19:25 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Don't worry, I'm sure a Resetera link that'll spark more cringeworthy sociopolitical discussion from Assimilate and Optimus is waiting in the wings for us  :doge

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #13373 on: January 31, 2018, 06:21:36 PM »
How did you guys manage to shit up the shit thread of the forum? :neogaf
que

Boredfrom

« Reply #13374 on: January 31, 2018, 06:22:06 PM »
"BUT NICHE. DONT COMPARE, IS NICHE. ONE MILLION AND RECOGNITION FROM DORITOS POPE? Pffft"

In an industry with games that can sell 25 million copies, 1 million CAN be niche.

Not every 1 million seller game is niche.. it depends on the gameplay elements. 

It's niche because JRPGs are a specialized game, a genre that even the Japanese have moved away from.. JRPGs of the past became Japanese ARPGs for the most part over the years, aka "westernized."    Persona 5 isn't; hell it even has "relationship simulator" elements which in the west is 100% a niche market.

It says the JRPG niche has a pretty decent sales potential in the West, which is a good thing for fans but doesn't suddenly make it not niche.

Those games being very very very few.

Is true that is not a AAA blockbuster game. but the game did way better than the ps2 counterparts and the fandom is way larger than you credit it to be.

Also, ARPGs where not really uncommon in the japanese market, like at all.

nudemacusers

« Reply #13375 on: January 31, 2018, 06:22:15 PM »
Can we take moment from discussing permavirgin weeb games and recognize how #iconic fendi men’s few 2018 just was?

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2018-menswear/fendi/slideshow/collection#1

:bow
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Boredfrom

« Reply #13376 on: January 31, 2018, 06:24:00 PM »
Can we take moment from discussing permavirgin weeb games and recognize how #iconic fendi men’s few 2018 just was?

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2018-menswear/fendi/slideshow/collection#1

Is that Final Fantasy XV?

In an industry with games that can sell 25 million copies, 1 million CAN be niche.

Not every 1 million seller game is niche.. it depends on the gameplay elements. 

It's niche because JRPGs are a specialized game, a genre that even the Japanese have moved away from.. JRPGs of the past became Japanese ARPGs for the most part over the years, aka "westernized."    Persona 5 isn't; hell it even has "relationship simulator" elements which in the west is 100% a niche market.

It says the JRPG niche has a pretty decent sales potential in the West, which is a good thing for fans but doesn't suddenly make it not niche.

Those games being very very very few.

Is true that is not a AAA blockbuster game. but the game did way better than the ps2 counterparts and the fandom is way larger than you credit it to be.

Also, ARPGs where not really uncommon in the japanese market, like at all.

And I never said they weren't few.... and where did I say ARPGs were not really uncommon in the japanese market?

the fuck?

You just said that the genre was "westernized"...

etiolate

« Reply #13377 on: January 31, 2018, 06:24:03 PM »
That last image does look like a NPC Guard in your average JPG

paprikastaude

« Reply #13378 on: January 31, 2018, 06:24:13 PM »
The amount of "japanese rpgs are archaic" threads I and Segata, Aeana, Charlequin, Ethelred, and Dragona had to suffer through at neogaf :stahp

Never forget :usacry

The last batch of gaf RPG voting threads still had a stark contrast between either WRPG- or JRPG dominated lists, so I don't know where you taking from that some hardcore nerds are now changing positions. And even if it was that, why would people growing out of being obnoxious fanboys be bad :yeshrug Unlike the reee-protected Nintenyearold distinguished mentally-challenged fellows, who can't stop trolling even after they've been put in their place by MHW debunking their fanboy narratives left and right.

nudemacusers

« Reply #13379 on: January 31, 2018, 06:25:19 PM »

Is that Final Fantasy XV?
PLEASE respect the GRAVITY and SERIOUSNESS inherent to APPLIED TEXTILE ART.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽