Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2174290 times)

paprikastaude

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #13500 on: February 01, 2018, 08:53:45 AM »
I hope Lime is legit, so that he is sincerely butthurt right now.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #13501 on: February 01, 2018, 09:18:30 AM »
Kirblar was demodded! Huzzah.

No drama though, he voluntarily stepped down
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4019487/

Era has way too many mods anyway

TwEE-N-Toast

« Reply #13502 on: February 01, 2018, 09:19:18 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so-i-really-wish-my-nieces-and-nephews-didnt-exist.19918/

Did Amir0x get out early?

Ya got it backwards. This dude is a mother loving child hater. Amir0x on the other hand is a mother hating child lover.

Himu

« Reply #13503 on: February 01, 2018, 09:19:22 AM »
:lol Lime
IYKYK

Jansen

« Reply #13504 on: February 01, 2018, 09:25:48 AM »
Waking up to see the mighty lime has fallen  :rejoice

sphagnum

« Reply #13505 on: February 01, 2018, 09:29:27 AM »
Did Lime ever actually do anything to indicate they were a troll? The only thing I know about is claiming to be from different places but I don't spend all my free time reading about forum drama.  I've always got the impression they were just a very earnest leftist poster whose views were so far left that a lot of people's eyes bugged out thinking "there's no way this can be real".

But when you're a communist, heterodox views are a dime a dozen.

Trurl

« Reply #13506 on: February 01, 2018, 09:50:02 AM »
Lime should go back to neogaf where he/she/it/whatever could make all the stupid threads he/she/it/whatever wanted to make. Lime is too woke even for resetera standards.
Lime is this era’s RiskyChris before everyone became RiskyChris.  :doge
I don't remember RiskyChris being that bad at all.  He derailed some threads but, as I remember it, he didn't act like everyone who disagreed with him was scum.  He seemed like he was probably a chill and respectful dude in real life.

Edit: I don't actually know what Lime is like as I haven't paid attention to the GAF community for years.  I just know that RC became infamous.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #13507 on: February 01, 2018, 09:53:13 AM »
Lime isn’t on the same (low in comparison) level as RiskyChris but he/she sure does stand out like Risky did when most gaffers didn’t really get too bent out of shape over social justice topics pre-2008
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 11:23:11 AM by Atramental »

jorma

« Reply #13508 on: February 01, 2018, 10:02:24 AM »
Lime should go back to neogaf where he/she/it/whatever could make all the stupid threads he/she/it/whatever wanted to make. Lime is too woke even for resetera standards.
Lime is this era’s RiskyChris before everyone became RiskyChris.  :doge
I don't remember RiskyChris being that bad at all.  He derailed some threads but, as I remember it, he didn't act like everyone who disagreed with him was scum.  He seemed like he was probably a chill and respectful dude in real life.

Edit: I don't actually know what Lime is like as I haven't paid attention to the GAF community for years.  I just know that RC became infamous.

Maybe you weren't as annoyed with RC because you were allowed to argue against him without ending up on besadas list of "people with a voice that doesn't need to be heard".

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13509 on: February 01, 2018, 10:02:34 AM »
As a life long rum&coke drinker, I just recently learned the original form of the drink called for lime, I tried it and it was insanely disgusting :rejoice

Jerry

« Reply #13510 on: February 01, 2018, 10:13:02 AM »
As a life long rum&coke drinker, I just recently learned the original form of the drink called for lime, I tried it and it was insanely disgusting :rejoice

I will be hard pressed to find a more incorrect statement for as long as I live.

It works doubly well for spiced rums like red leg.
COYS

jorma

« Reply #13511 on: February 01, 2018, 10:13:20 AM »

what? it's barely drinkable unless you have plenty of lime in your Cuba Libre.
 :snob

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #13512 on: February 01, 2018, 11:25:08 AM »
Rum & Coke

:ohyeah

Fruiting up your Rum & Coke

:nope

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rum

:woken
[close]

agrajag

« Reply #13513 on: February 01, 2018, 11:33:53 AM »
lime isn't fruit it is a citrus

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #13514 on: February 01, 2018, 11:45:49 AM »
Hard liquor  :donot

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #13515 on: February 01, 2018, 11:47:16 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so-i-really-wish-my-nieces-and-nephews-didnt-exist.19918/

Did Amir0x get out early?

Ya got it backwards. This dude is a mother loving child hater. Amir0x on the other hand is a mother hating child lover.

:whew

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #13516 on: February 01, 2018, 11:49:08 AM »

Citrus are a genus of plants. Which make fruits. Such as lemons and limes.

Shitlord.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #13517 on: February 01, 2018, 11:49:14 AM »
Calling Cuba Libre "Rum and Coke": :beli

Raist

« Reply #13518 on: February 01, 2018, 11:52:03 AM »
Calling Cuba Libre "Rum and Coke": :beli

"Cuba libre" is up there with things like ID4 as the dumbest "ameriiiiicaaaaaaa fuck yeaaaaaah :usacry" things ever.

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #13519 on: February 01, 2018, 12:16:43 PM »
This is coming from the higher levels of the staff apparently, and they feel that my threads criticizing either the political aspects of games (work conditions, diversity, corporate white-washing) or US imperialism/environmentalism/capitalism/failure of democracy are not genuine and only aimed to create controversy. They do not realize that whatever controversy is generated from me highlighting a political issue should be an indication of how hegemony works - that those who are offended by simply *talking* about e.g. representation or work conditions or capitalism or US imperialism want to shut the conversation or the topic down.

Lime pulling the ol' Glenn Beck "I'm just asking questions" schtick, I see.

The real question is, does Lime slither back to GAF after this, or does he stay on REE where he can troll and provoke many more people, even without thread posting privileges?

And, what's stopping him from going into that 'adopt a poster' thing they have and dropping one of his turds that way?

nudemacusers

« Reply #13520 on: February 01, 2018, 12:22:46 PM »
Sidecars with remy Martin 1738, Cointreau, and fresh lemon :lawd
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #13521 on: February 01, 2018, 12:38:55 PM »
Should go well with that awful Fendi menswear.

nudemacusers

« Reply #13522 on: February 01, 2018, 12:45:59 PM »
Should go well with that awful Fendi menswear.
:jeanluc

I only drink sidecars at home in my Richard James smoking jacket and dolce & gabbana silk pyjama set. :ufup
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Mortimer Brewster

« Reply #13523 on: February 01, 2018, 12:50:37 PM »
This is coming from the higher levels of the staff apparently, and they feel that my threads criticizing either the political aspects of games (work conditions, diversity, corporate white-washing) or US imperialism/environmentalism/capitalism/failure of democracy are not genuine and only aimed to create controversy. They do not realize that whatever controversy is generated from me highlighting a political issue should be an indication of how hegemony works - that those who are offended by simply *talking* about e.g. representation or work conditions or capitalism or US imperialism want to shut the conversation or the topic down.

Lime pulling the ol' Glenn Beck "I'm just asking questions" schtick, I see.

The real question is, does Lime slither back to GAF after this, or does he stay on REE where he can troll and provoke many more people, even without thread posting privileges?

And, what's stopping him from going into that 'adopt a poster' thing they have and dropping one of his turds that way?

Probably just makes a new account, puts in the junior time and starts up the same shit again. If he isn’t tolerated on reset, he certainly won’t on Gaf where it’s been taken over by shitlords.

Jansen

« Reply #13524 on: February 01, 2018, 12:55:58 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4033315/

Quote from: PsychoHydro, post: 4033315, member: 36425
It is shockingly bad but not surprising. Western developers don’t hold a candle to Japanese when it comes to creating faces or emotions. Just look at how insanely good Silent Hill 3‘s characters still look. They are way better than most current Western games‘ faces.

This is not a matter of hardware power, but a matter of art and understanding emotion.

That said, I really hope there will be a patch that fixes the face and/or its lighting.

:expert :gddr5 :expert

agrajag

« Reply #13525 on: February 01, 2018, 01:02:21 PM »

Citrus are a genus of plants. Which make fruits. Such as lemons and limes.

Shitlord.

oh right

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13526 on: February 01, 2018, 01:36:20 PM »
I'm a member now and lime is junior forever.

The force has been balanced.
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #13527 on: February 01, 2018, 01:37:04 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4033315/

Quote from: PsychoHydro, post: 4033315, member: 36425
It is shockingly bad but not surprising. Western developers don’t hold a candle to Japanese when it comes to creating faces or emotions. Just look at how insanely good Silent Hill 3‘s characters still look. They are way better than most current Western games‘ faces.

This is not a matter of hardware power, but a matter of art and understanding emotion.

That said, I really hope there will be a patch that fixes the face and/or its lighting.

:expert :gddr5 :expert
Are they wrong?

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #13528 on: February 01, 2018, 01:47:52 PM »
I really don't like most Japanese games but they do beat western ones in terms of style and cool looking crap.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13529 on: February 01, 2018, 02:24:27 PM »
"Thank you for joining me on this video call. I have some very good-u news. I have decided that we will bring more joy to people all over the world"
"My Gaijin friends please remaster this Nippon true work of art and natural beauty, dericate like a flower"
"After long consideration I have decided that you may bring it to a new generation of players who will see its joy, emotion and story"
"Thank you very much for your hard work and effort. I know that I can trust you will treat it well like your own grandmother"

"Sure thing Mr Japan *BURP*"

🤴

Father_Brain

« Reply #13530 on: February 01, 2018, 03:03:00 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/us-poliera-2018-ot-welcome-to-the-resistance-the-only-funded-organization-in-d-c.17899/page-97#post-4040795

for him to accuse anyone else of "combativeness corrosive to discussion" reflects an amazing lack of self-awareness

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #13531 on: February 01, 2018, 04:26:28 PM »

Wut? Hard liquor is the best. Nice glass of Johnny Walker or Hendrix Gin  :delicious

I just can't drink it near people i'm close with in case i hit that darkside.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #13533 on: February 01, 2018, 04:57:32 PM »
Kirblar was a good mod even if I thought his opinions were dumb. Shame.
每天生气

Boredfrom

« Reply #13534 on: February 01, 2018, 04:59:38 PM »
I also thought he was decent mod prior the Hillary meltdown.

shosta

« Reply #13535 on: February 01, 2018, 05:03:18 PM »
That wasn't even a meltdown, that was just an overwrought carepost with a faulty premise.
每天生气

Raist

« Reply #13536 on: February 01, 2018, 05:22:25 PM »
How many mods have come and gone already :lol

Boredfrom

« Reply #13537 on: February 01, 2018, 05:23:13 PM »
That wasn't even a meltdown, that was just an overwrought carepost with a faulty premise.

Dunno, making a thread just to basically save face feels pretty laughable to me.

Tokyosandblaster

« Reply #13538 on: February 01, 2018, 05:31:01 PM »
Kirblar was a good mod even if I thought his opinions were dumb. Shame.
How so?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13539 on: February 01, 2018, 06:17:03 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/if-you-hear-the-question-why-cant-there-be-a-white-panther-tell-them-there-are-2.20512/
And yet Slayven remains Mod with yet another gem.

You will never hear that question, except in Slayven's imagination
[close]
🤴

Rman

« Reply #13540 on: February 01, 2018, 06:18:24 PM »
Did Lime ever actually do anything to indicate they were a troll? The only thing I know about is claiming to be from different places but I don't spend all my free time reading about forum drama.  I've always got the impression they were just a very earnest leftist poster whose views were so far left that a lot of people's eyes bugged out thinking "there's no way this can be real".

Lime was caught lying about his country of residence.  It was rather blatant.  Lime is an obvious troll.  Surprised ERA took so long to notice.

Boredfrom

« Reply #13541 on: February 01, 2018, 06:20:05 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/if-you-hear-the-question-why-cant-there-be-a-white-panther-tell-them-there-are-2.20512/
And yet Slayven remains Mod with yet another gem.

You will never hear that question, except in Slayven's imagination
[close]

Being fair, I dig comic book trivia.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #13542 on: February 01, 2018, 06:46:25 PM »

Wut? Hard liquor is the best. Nice glass of Johnny Walker or Hendrix Gin  :delicious

I just can't drink it near people i'm close with in case i hit that darkside.
I'm still a lightweight  :goty2

Raist

« Reply #13543 on: February 01, 2018, 06:46:47 PM »
Did you know... it's possible to both believe that women should be able to do anything we want with our bodies and feel bad for the women who enjoyed this and have lost their jobs AND think that 'grid girls' are a deplorable practice that have no place in modern society? Wild.

I think there's a term for that. Cognitive dissonance.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #13544 on: February 01, 2018, 07:00:57 PM »
"BUT NICHE. DONT COMPARE, IS NICHE. ONE MILLION AND RECOGNITION FROM DORITOS POPE? Pffft"

In an industry with games that can sell 25 million copies, 1 million CAN be niche.

Not every 1 million seller game is niche.. it depends on the gameplay elements. 

It's niche because JRPGs are a specialized game, a genre that even the Japanese have moved away from.. JRPGs of the past became Japanese ARPGs for the most part over the years, aka "westernized."    Persona 5 isn't; hell it even has "relationship simulator" elements which in the west is 100% a niche market.

It says the JRPG niche has a pretty decent sales potential in the West, which is a good thing for fans but doesn't suddenly make it not niche.

Uhh, Japan practically invented the "ARPG" genre with Dragon Slayer, Hydlide, Ys... and DQXI naturally sold pretty well in Japan. Most of my expat coworkers who still game do prefer Japanese RPGs over all, but it was surprising when one of them mentioned he liked Witcher 3.
^_^

Boredfrom

« Reply #13545 on: February 01, 2018, 07:07:27 PM »
Did you know... it's possible to both believe that women should be able to do anything we want with our bodies and feel bad for the women who enjoyed this and have lost their jobs AND think that 'grid girls' are a deplorable practice that have no place in modern society? Wild.

lol I was like WTF when I read that...

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #13546 on: February 01, 2018, 07:13:57 PM »

It's one thing to have odd opinions, but why do people have to be so fucking condescending about it at the same time? Only makes them look all the more idiotic

Raist

« Reply #13547 on: February 01, 2018, 07:18:23 PM »
Doubling down :lol

Women should be allowed to do what they want with their bodies. If Grid Girls are a gonna be a thing, then women should be allowed to be Grid Girls if they so choose. However, Grid Girls are a sexist practice and if they're no longer a thing then that's good for society as a whole, but it still sucks for the women who lost their job.

:nintendo

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #13548 on: February 01, 2018, 07:30:02 PM »

I've mentioned a few times in this thread that I actually appreciated Lime (or the various posters behind the username) poking the beehive once in a while and bringing up uncomfortable questions for the typical GAF off-topic poster to digest. Some of Lime's threads I found perfectly valid. Lime was also very clearly arguing in bad faith. Their nationality and country of residence would change depending on the argument, usually to gain a moral high ground.
Lime was caught lying about his country of residence.  It was rather blatant.  Lime is an obvious troll.  Surprised ERA took so long to notice.
Yup.

deepest throat

« Reply #13549 on: February 01, 2018, 07:32:36 PM »
iirc lime works in academia and travels a ton because of it according to people that've met them irl

Jansen

« Reply #13550 on: February 01, 2018, 07:39:01 PM »
so XSeed Tom is on era and posted this

https://www.resetera.com/posts/4042223/

Quote from: wyrdwad
That's part of why I wanted to field that question in the GOG interview. People have jumped to a lot of conclusions about me (particularly since the Akiba's Beat issue noted above), assuming I'm a Gamergater or a Trumper or what-not because of the content I've fought to keep intact over the years (I am neither of those things, BTW!), and I wanted to make it crystal clear that my defense of this content should not ever constitute my APPROVAL of it unless I very specifically state as such. My stance on censorship is that it's never appropriate, but not because I actually want to SEE the content I'm defending. I'm just as taken aback by a lot of it as the rest of you, and would really rather not have anything to do with it, given the choice.

The difference is, I believe it is not in our place to alter artistic works in the name of cultural morality, and thus feel it is my duty as a localizer to preserve the original work as accurately as possible -- "warts and all," as it were. If you're not changing a work for legal reasons, or to aid in its comprehension, then I feel you devalue it as a work of art by changing it at all. And there are no exceptions to this, in my mind, because there really can't be: once you justify changing one piece of content in someone else's artistic work, you open the floodgates. The original creator's intent begins to lose all relevance.

And while I seem to have earned some degree of ire and concern from the ANTI-censorship crowd as a result of this GOG interview (much to my surprise and confusion!), I do nonetheless hope it was successful in communicating to those of you who've always been turned off by me that I'm not the monster you think I am! I'm just a guy who has really idealistic views about video games as art, and can't bring myself to compromise those views, as a matter of principle.

If you dislike me for this, so be it. But I hope that even if you'll never agree with me (general you, not you specifically, LordGorchnik), you can at least understand and respect my point of view. That's really all I can ask for, and is the only thing I seek, ultimately.

-Tom

My stance on censorship is that it's never appropriate, but not because I actually want to SEE the content I'm defending. I'm just as taken aback by a lot of it as the rest of you, and would really rather not have anything to do with it, given the choice.

:mindblown :confused

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #13551 on: February 01, 2018, 07:39:08 PM »
grid girls definitely are a practice better suited for the 18th or 17th centuries, not a modern society :snob

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #13552 on: February 01, 2018, 08:02:27 PM »
Uhh, Japan practically invented the "ARPG" genre with Dragon Slayer, Hydlide, Ys... and DQXI naturally sold pretty well in Japan. Most of my expat coworkers who still game do prefer Japanese RPGs over all, but it was surprising when one of them mentioned he liked Witcher 3.

This was addressed;  I was wrong to claim making something an ARPG was westernizing it.  My main point wasn't really to do with westernization though, more that many of the original JRPG series abandoned the style that is still known as JRPG.  A lot of that has to do with trying to appeal to the West more, which is why I mistakenly labeled them.

As a long term Japanese RPG player, the only series that really westernized the last few years was FF (which is of course the one RPG series that is known for drastically shifting things up between games, and also the most popular in the west). And of course the influence goes both ways - how many western devs talked about wanting to make "the Dark Souls of _____"?

I do think last gen Japanese devs tried and failed to appeal to the west in mostly superficial ways, (yet I also think there were lots of great JP games last gen too, especially on handhelds and the Wii) this gen it's more that they have been less afraid to embrace their traditional strengths and also adopt trends popular in the west that they have a historical precedence with (BOTW being a callback to Zelda 1's open endedness for instance).

But I'm still surprised how quickly people turned on Bioware and Bethesda, after tooting their horns so much last gen. I played Fallout 3 and the first 3 Mass Effect games - are the new ones really THAT much worse?
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13553 on: February 01, 2018, 08:10:21 PM »
Dunno what problems people had with Fallout 4, I thought it was great. ME: Andromeda was definitely a half-finished mess, though.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #13554 on: February 01, 2018, 08:13:45 PM »

wait wait wait

Even the most backwater dingy bars I've ever gone to have put a lime in it (also, it's fucking delicious.) How many of these could you have possibly drank without encountering this? I'm calling your story into question.

As the President of the Rum and Coke Club, you're officially on probation.

shosta

« Reply #13555 on: February 01, 2018, 08:14:35 PM »
Kirblar was probably the best mod on the forum. At least PoliERA still has B-Dubs.

Kristoffer was garbage, but he shouldn't have stepped down.
I agree that Kristoffer was a trash heap choice of a mod but
Kristoffer is a great mod.
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #13556 on: February 01, 2018, 08:16:04 PM »
Some of Lime's threads I found perfectly valid. Lime was also very clearly arguing in bad faith.
these are polar opposite sentiments
每天生气

Tasty

« Reply #13557 on: February 01, 2018, 08:18:27 PM »
Also hard liquor is great, but I can't fuck with tequila. Whiskey's iffy and I know it's gonna take years to build up a liking of the flavor.

Vodka and rum... :delicious

Haven't really had enough gin to make a call there but I'd rank it above tequila and whiskey.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #13558 on: February 01, 2018, 08:22:40 PM »
grid girls definitely are a practice better suited for the 18th or 17th centuries, not a modern society :snob

XSeed Tom doesn't think Grid Girls should be a thing, but he will defend to the death your right to see underage ones in a low budget Japanese video game.  :american
©@©™

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #13559 on: February 01, 2018, 08:25:10 PM »
Some of Lime's threads I found perfectly valid. Lime was also very clearly arguing in bad faith.
these are polar opposite sentiments
The thread/point could be valid AND Lime could still be deceitful over the course of the argument.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:30:31 PM by Let's Cyber »