Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2174649 times)

etiolate

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #15660 on: February 13, 2018, 01:34:58 PM »
Spoiler: White dudes don't look at super heroes and think that dude looks like me. Don't look at Friends and say that represents my life.

Just basic as fuck people do.

My favorite comic book hero is Nightcrawler. I am not a fuzzy blue demon elf, though some of you seem to think so. I just found the idea of representation to be so shallow and surface level that I wonder how they think others view the world? Black Panther is as relatable to me as Superman or Tony Stark is.

Optimus

• Lieutenant colonel, 26th Hate Machine battalion
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #15661 on: February 13, 2018, 01:35:23 PM »
Except GB2016 looked like hot garbage way before it came out and this doesn't? Not sure why you're getting so worked up over a super hero movie, Optimus.

Stop with the intellectually dishonest bullshit, it was Rahxephon91 who had a meltdown because I dared to question the cultural significance of a fucking superhero movie and as per usual I replied accordingly. And the movie btw looks like another pointless and mediocre Disney production.

JaseC

« Reply #15662 on: February 13, 2018, 01:36:47 PM »
So a Nintendo fan entered the Steam thread to mock them for discussing the potential of a Bayonetta 3 port. Mods decide to ban everyone who gets upset at this. Looks like JaseC days as a moderator are numbered.

Starts here: https://www.resetera.com/posts/4487691/

I took full responsibility for inadvertently derailing the thread. It seems the reason my "I suspect 3 will go multiplatform because of the difference in copyright ownership" posts blew up was that there was a misunderstanding and some were under the impression I was flagrantly accusing Kamiya of lying to his fans. In actuality, I don't think anything he said was dishonest but rather that he didn't quite give the full picture regarding Nintendo's funding in the interest of balancing transparency with corporate politics; admittedly, I could have made that a little clearer.

But, hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong and will happily admit it.

tummyfat

« Reply #15663 on: February 13, 2018, 01:38:50 PM »
Wakanda has the cure for cancer and refuses to share it with white society.

They are the true villains of the movie.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #15664 on: February 13, 2018, 01:38:54 PM »
"Meltdown"

Yes, that's what it was.

And etiolate, it's basic race and media story stuff there. Of course white dude's don't look at Super-Hero stuff and act like it represents them. They don't need to. There's millions of things for them to find.

And either way your comment doesn't make sense.

Friends appeal to many was that yes they did share similar life experiences to the characters on that show.

Spider-Man's appeal has been that plenty of people can relate.

Plenty of white male viewers have complained about not being able to get into media that features character (female,minorities) that they can't relate to.

Media movies have been popular because the people that go to them do relate to them.

But relating doesn't mean oh I 100% see myself in it. It can be a simple 1% of oh that persons looks like me, cool.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:45:33 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15665 on: February 13, 2018, 01:39:30 PM »
No one I know gives a fuck about Black Panther, except for woke white bloggers trying to make american style reporting a thing in Africa.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #15666 on: February 13, 2018, 01:40:27 PM »
You can recognize a Reset diatribe on the significance of a movie as being particularly misguided without categorizing everyone who is encouraged by it as being distinguished mentally-challenged.

If people can't be excited about it, then what do you allow them to be excited for?  A particularly stirring book?  A video game?  Legislation?  What's acceptable, if not this?  Movies are a major part of culture, like it or not.  And it's a mostly all-black cast, set in Africa, taken seriously, as a nationwide blockbuster, and apparently it's also a good movie.  You can't point at something like Blade and say it was quite the same.

I just take issue with the conversation revolving around how "black people have nothing and this shows what could have been."  That's attributing way too much to this movie.

I mean at its heart this is just another white savior story.  Not the plot of the movie, the meta-plot how white people had to create a black hero and make a movie about him, for them, so BossAttack could write a long thread about how much black people needed this.
Uncle

Optimus

« Reply #15667 on: February 13, 2018, 01:41:52 PM »
No, people are proud and happy about the sentiment. The idea. And while that has been created no doubt by smart marketing and whatnot and will be capitalized on. It doesn't take way from the fact some minorties are going to go to this movie and see something they may be to relate to more in either the story, the aesthetics, the cast, music, dialogue, tone, whatever. And that's cool for them. I'm not sure what's hard to figure out here, but please die on your "I'm so smart, I'm above the masses" hill.

Oh and no I'm not proud of the movie. It will probably be a another solid Marvel to me and that's it. But it's called empathy.

OK, I might be wrong but from what I'm reading I have a suspicion. Please tell me you're not even black and you speak on their behalf, that would be fucking hilarious.

agrajag

« Reply #15668 on: February 13, 2018, 01:44:30 PM »
Spoiler: White dudes don't look at super heroes and think that dude looks like me. Don't look at Friends and say that represents my life.

My favorite comic book hero is Nightcrawler. I am not a fuzzy blue demon elf, though some of you seem to think so. I just found the idea of representation to be so shallow and surface level that I wonder how they think others view the world? Black Panther is as relatable to me as Superman or Tony Stark is.

Some might say you've been afforded a certain luxury to be so detached.

« Reply #15669 on: February 13, 2018, 01:45:09 PM »

White dudes don't have to because they've had crazy amounts of representation that it's the norm. It's expected.

I think it's pretty cool that kids will be able to look at Black Panther and see a character that looks like them.

Also, I'm curious how it would go over in modern society if two white dudes created Black Panther now. Probably not well, I'm guessing.
野球

tummyfat

« Reply #15670 on: February 13, 2018, 01:48:30 PM »

White dudes don't have to because they've had crazy amounts of representation that it's the norm. It's expected.

I think it's pretty cool that kids will be able to look at Black Panther and see a character that looks like them.

Also, I'm curious how it would go over in modern society if two white dudes created Black Panther now. Probably not well, I'm guessing.

They would force HBO to cancel their show before it even filmed

Rahxephon91

« Reply #15671 on: February 13, 2018, 01:49:13 PM »
No, people are proud and happy about the sentiment. The idea. And while that has been created no doubt by smart marketing and whatnot and will be capitalized on. It doesn't take way from the fact some minorties are going to go to this movie and see something they may be to relate to more in either the story, the aesthetics, the cast, music, dialogue, tone, whatever. And that's cool for them. I'm not sure what's hard to figure out here, but please die on your "I'm so smart, I'm above the masses" hill.

Oh and no I'm not proud of the movie. It will probably be a another solid Marvel to me and that's it. But it's called empathy.

OK, I might be wrong but from what I'm reading I have a suspicion. Please tell me you're not even black and you speak on their behalf, that would be fucking hilarious.
I'm a mixed male. I don't identify as black or white and since I'm white passing I don't have to either and usually up until a point most people see me as white.

No where did I speak on anyone's behalf. What I said is that I can understand why someone could have certain feelings towards the movie and it's not hard to get why.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #15672 on: February 13, 2018, 01:51:45 PM »
Fuck Marvel trash Black Panther. Black folks should instead be proud of this, which is now instantly on my anticipated list:

https://www.avclub.com/lebron-james-to-produce-house-party-remake-from-atlanta-1822964844
serge

Optimus

« Reply #15673 on: February 13, 2018, 01:52:38 PM »
You can recognize a Reset diatribe on the significance of a movie as being particularly misguided without categorizing everyone who is encouraged by it as being distinguished mentally-challenged.

If people can't be excited about it, then what do you allow them to be excited for?  A particularly stirring book?  A video game?  Legislation?  What's acceptable, if not this?  Movies are a major part of culture, like it or not.  And it's a mostly all-black cast, set in Africa, taken seriously, as a nationwide blockbuster, and apparently it's also a good movie.  You can't point at something like Blade and say it was quite the same.

I just take issue with the conversation revolving around how "black people have nothing and this shows what could have been."  That's attributing way too much to this movie.

I mean at its heart this is just another white savior story.  Not the plot of the movie, the meta-plot how white people had to create a black hero and make a movie about him, for them, so BossAttack could write a long thread about how much black people needed this.

Be excited with any kind of popcorn trash at the cinema, I don't give a shit. The moment you try to shoehorn any kind of political significance into a fucking Marvel movie that's when I lose all respect for you. Every single part of these "political messages" in these pieces of crap is a marketing ploy. It's the latest craze in capitalism, pretend to be "socially conscious" for free and very successful publicity. Corporations might be pillaging the planet and exploiting humanity, but look, Disney has a black superhero and Walmart just introduced it's latest green initiative! (that won't do shit) OMG so great!

etiolate

« Reply #15674 on: February 13, 2018, 01:56:16 PM »
"Meltdown"

Yes, that's what it was.

And etiolate, it's basic race and media story stuff there. Of course white dude's don't look at Super-Hero stuff and act like it represents them. They don't need to. There's millions of things for them to find.

And either way your comment doesn't make sense.

Friends appeal to many was that yes they did share similar life experiences to the characters on that show.

Spider-Man's appeal has been that plenty of people can relate.

Plenty of white male viewers have complained about not being able to get into media that features character (female,minorities) that they can't relate to.

Media movies have been popular because the people that go to them do relate to them.

But relating doesn't mean oh I 100% see myself in it. It can be a simple 1% of oh that persons looks like me, cool.

The 1% looks like me thing doesn't matter. People don't relate to the Friends life. They have shit jobs and own a rather large apartment in NY. The popularity of the show has little to do with relatable people and lives, and mostly to do with relatable personalities and sitcom trappings.

My point is the idea of a media being relatable only exists on the shallow surface level and people don't exist at that level. Those that do are either 1) Not that smart or 2) played into it by the pressure of surrounding media. 

Spiderman is just a smart kid that gets some powers. Black Panther is a prince with a ton of wealth and secret techno-marvel city hidden away. Which of those two is going to be more relatable to the nerdy sort of black kid that reads comics?

The very shallow way we talk about representation is insulting to the audience.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #15675 on: February 13, 2018, 01:56:47 PM »
Teaching boys that girls have no autonomy and are nothing more than broodmares and property of men at a young age I see. Disgusting.

Promoting tolerance? These boys need to learn that girls don't owe them shit

I want to make more clear that I agree that this is toxic, especially as it pertains to young girls' perception of their roles societally.

Teaching children that they can't say no and consent essentially doesn't matter with regards to their body is pretty concerning whether it's the same or not.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/kids-at-one-utah-elementary-must-say-yes-if-another-kid-asks-to-dance.22916/

The crime?

A voluntary event where elementary school kids line dance with a partner.

American Taliban.
:O

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #15676 on: February 13, 2018, 01:58:13 PM »
I just liked a Rahxephon91 post :beli

etiolate

« Reply #15677 on: February 13, 2018, 01:59:22 PM »

Honesty and intelligence.

And that I probably relate to about 5% of the population. Somehow that is a luxury to you.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #15678 on: February 13, 2018, 02:00:44 PM »
Get blown the fuck out by Rahx crehs  :dayum

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #15679 on: February 13, 2018, 02:02:05 PM »

https://www.resetera.com/threads/kids-at-one-utah-elementary-must-say-yes-if-another-kid-asks-to-dance.22916/

The crime?

A voluntary event where elementary school kids line dance with a partner.

American Taliban.
Let me put it in ways you'll all understand:

Say lil Jessica is the hottest girl in school, by 11 year old standards. Say every little Mormon boy there wants a dance with lil Jessica, but say Jessica doesn't wanna dance with all of them. Maybe she thinks some of them are weird. Maybe some of them don't bathe enough and they stink. Either way, she doesn't wanna dance with them. Come dance time, Jessica only wants to be with her friends, but nope, she's got a bunch of 11 year old kids coming at her from all angles to dance with her. She can't say no, it's in the rules. Now, Jessica feels uncomfortable. Now, all those Mormon boys get to have their turn dancing with her, even though she feels uncomfortable. Don't you think lil Jessie-poo should have the ability to say "no, I don't wanna dance with you?"
:holeup

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #15680 on: February 13, 2018, 02:06:10 PM »

That's because 90% of all characters across all media are straight white men dudes. White people aren't constantly aware of being represented in media because that'd be like being constantly aware of your lungs filling with oxygen every few seconds.

etiolate

« Reply #15681 on: February 13, 2018, 02:10:14 PM »
All you guys are arguing against me is that you're basic, shallow bitches.

james

« Reply #15682 on: February 13, 2018, 02:10:51 PM »
RE: Black Panther

I find it appalling that theres a movement to donate money so black kids can go watch another shitty Disney factory-produced superhero sleepfest.

If you want those kids to learn about black culture, take them to see Hidden Figures, Selma, or any not garbage movie

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #15683 on: February 13, 2018, 02:12:17 PM »
You fuckers seriously think that those of us outside of US feel represented by white Muricans? :neogaf

If anything, i mostly feel insulted any time Hollywood tries to portray anything other than it's usual garbage.

Fucking skin color oriented culture, Jesus.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #15684 on: February 13, 2018, 02:12:38 PM »
Be excited with any kind of popcorn trash at the cinema, I don't give a shit. The moment you try to shoehorn any kind of political significance into a fucking Marvel movie that's when I lose all respect for you. Every single part of these "political messages" in these pieces of crap is a marketing ploy. It's the latest craze in capitalism, pretend to be "socially conscious" for free and very successful publicity. Corporations might be pillaging the planet and exploiting humanity, but look, Disney has a black superhero and Walmart just introduced it's latest green initiative! (that won't do shit) OMG so great!

Doesn't actually work, though.

take them to see Hidden Figures

Amen to that, great film.
Uncle

agrajag

« Reply #15685 on: February 13, 2018, 02:14:41 PM »

Honesty and intelligence.

And that I probably relate to about 5% of the population. Somehow that is a luxury to you.

:lol. Never change dude, never change.

tummyfat

« Reply #15686 on: February 13, 2018, 02:14:46 PM »
Black Panther is making people lose their shit.

Why is every piece of media a culture war now

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #15687 on: February 13, 2018, 02:16:31 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4494106/

Just to be 100% clear. Each ban and warning is discussed among multiple moderators and administrators.

:doge

etiolate

« Reply #15688 on: February 13, 2018, 02:16:37 PM »
dont think anyone that mad

oh we'll all see Black Panther :fbm

disposable entertainment straight into my veins

TVC15

« Reply #15689 on: February 13, 2018, 02:16:59 PM »
Be excited with any kind of popcorn trash at the cinema, I don't give a shit. The moment you try to shoehorn any kind of political significance into a fucking Marvel movie that's when I lose all respect for you. Every single part of these "

messages" in these pieces of crap is a marketing ploy. It's the latest craze in capitalism, pretend to be "socially conscious" for free and very successful publicity. Corporations might be pillaging the planet and exploiting humanity, but look, Disney has a black superhero and Walmart just introduced it's latest green initiative! (that won't do shit) OMG so great!

Holy shit, that Tibet Groupon ad is basically an SNL parody ad.
serge

james

« Reply #15690 on: February 13, 2018, 02:19:22 PM »

Just to be 100% clear. Each ban and warning is discussed among multiple moderators and administrators.

Thats pure bs. I got a warning because a low IQ mod had trouble understanding my elevated level of discourse

agrajag

« Reply #15691 on: February 13, 2018, 02:20:06 PM »
I'm behind on MCU. Haven't seen Ant Man, Dr. Strange or Spider-Man.  :yeshrug

Optimus

« Reply #15692 on: February 13, 2018, 02:20:54 PM »

It's not that it doesn't work, it's that some of them are so fucking transparent that even the mouthbreathing distinguished mentally-challenged fellows who usually fall for this bullshit (see: itt) realize what they're trying to do.

james

« Reply #15693 on: February 13, 2018, 02:21:31 PM »

Have you seen Iron Man, Avengers, or the 12 other Spidermans?

Congrats, youuve watched Ant Man, Dr. Strange and Spider-Man!

etiolate

« Reply #15695 on: February 13, 2018, 02:23:03 PM »

Dr Strange is skippable.

They needed to make that movie after they decided to go drug fueled, because they went serious Inception mode when Strange comics are pure 60s hazy smokefilled acid trips.

Jansen

« Reply #15696 on: February 13, 2018, 02:24:03 PM »

the mod team that is stuffed with ntards? :lol

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #15697 on: February 13, 2018, 02:24:47 PM »
Somehow I've only seen the 3 Iron Man movies, the first Avengers, and the 2 Guardians movies.

Saved like $150!
Uncle

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #15698 on: February 13, 2018, 02:25:05 PM »

the mod team that is stuffed with ntards? :lol

To be fair, this place is also staffed with ntards. Clearly it's not the main factor.  :-*

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15699 on: February 13, 2018, 02:26:51 PM »
Somehow I've only seen the 3 Iron Man movies, the first Avengers, and the 2 Guardians movies.

Saved like $150!
Iron Man 2 and 3 are garbo lol

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #15700 on: February 13, 2018, 02:28:35 PM »

Saved like $150!
Iron Man 2 and 3 are garbo lol

Yes definitely.  Half-naked man waving around electric wires.
Uncle

agrajag

« Reply #15701 on: February 13, 2018, 02:29:41 PM »
Quote from: Impact
Reporting posts really doesn't seem to do anything tbh. But I will keep on doing it.   

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Impact
Banned
[close]

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #15702 on: February 13, 2018, 02:30:08 PM »
Some day, some day people will realize the greatness of Iron Man 3 and join me in celebration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA52uNzx7Y4

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #15703 on: February 13, 2018, 02:30:50 PM »
It just cracks me up to see those folks shouting out their lungs that they finally have a meaningful and impactful representation of their culture with Marvel's 43rd movie of the decade.

A movie about a king of a fictional super high tech african country (who I assume couldn't care less about their fellow africans outside Wakanda) who dresses up in a magical fucking cat suit to beat up evil super-villains.

Go watch some Spike Lee or something if you want some movies a bit closer to your culture you cretins.

Nola

« Reply #15704 on: February 13, 2018, 02:34:10 PM »
Why are people using this movie as an example of "what was lost" in Africa? Is there any reason to think that if white people stayed the fuck out that there would have been some advanced civilization or something? I'm confused...

Honestly, that is such a ridiculously hard set of counterfactuals to even discuss though.

What if Carthage had never met setbacks with Alexander The Great and went on to win the second Punic Wars? Who knows where the fuck the world would be right now. At a minimum you probably never get what became modern Christianity or Islam. So does the Aksumite Empire continue to survive and evolve with no Islamic Empire pushing into the Red Sea and Nile? Does a finicky climate and the harsher environment of Africa stagnate and do them in anyways?

There are any number of those historical flashpoints that had things tipped in a different direction, it's almost impossible to figure out where the path diverges too. I don't think it is completely unreasonable to suggest that had things tipped a different way that you could of seen North Africa and other locations be more of developmental hubs toward advanced civilization. It's also kinda ridiculous to assert something would of assuredly happened if X or Y never happened. Africa is not an easy place to live in. Hard to build a thriving, ongoing civilization in the heart of Africa when disease is much more prevalent due to evolutionary forces and a few fucking elephants could come by and eat up your entire crop yield in a day.

james

« Reply #15705 on: February 13, 2018, 02:35:04 PM »
It just cracks me up to see those folks shouting out their lungs that they finally have a meaningful and impactful representation of their culture with Marvel's 43rd movie of the decade.

A movie about a king of a fictional super high tech african country (who I assume couldn't care less about their fellow africans outside Wakanda) who dresses up in a magical fucking cat suit to beat up evil super-villains.

Go watch some Spike Lee or something if you want some movies a bit closer to your culture you cretins.

My favorite part is that the cast isnt even from Africa. Can you imagine the outrage if they made a movie set in Asia and none of the actors came from Asia?

Chadwick Boseman
November 29, 1976 (age 41)
Anderson, South Carolina, U.S.

Michael Bakari Jordan
February 9, 1987 (age 31)
Santa Ana, California, U.S.

My favorite:

Danai Gurira as Okoye:
An "extremely proud" Wakandan and traditionalist from the Border Tribe,

Danai Jekesai Gurira
February 14, 1978 (age 39)
Grinnell, Iowa, United States

Theyre appropriating and stereotyping the fuck out of African accents.

Not that theres even a single African accent

(Lupita Amondi Nyong'o was born in Mexico but was raised in Kenya)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #15706 on: February 13, 2018, 02:38:22 PM »
Does Monster Hunter makes you uncomfortable?

Recently I've seen some posts in my social media bubble about Monster Hunter World... is making people uncomfortable. Because of the premise and main feature - hunting monsters.

At least 3 people wrote independently about how they can't even watch how player characters chase down and beat up monster that are trying to run away or hide etc. 3 people isn't impressive number, but at the same time I see no one having similar issues with other fantasy games with hunting.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/does-monster-hunter-makes-you-uncomfortable.22962/

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #15707 on: February 13, 2018, 02:42:59 PM »
I have close to 10k HUMAN kills in the most recent call of duty, I wonder if anyone besides my wife is uncomfortable with that.

james

« Reply #15708 on: February 13, 2018, 02:45:28 PM »
The kids (YES CHILDREN) in Splatoon are aged 12, and I splat the FUCK out of them.

Optimus

« Reply #15709 on: February 13, 2018, 02:47:32 PM »
The kids (YES CHILDREN) in Splatoon are aged 12, and I splat the FUCK out of them.

I don't think resetera would have a problem with that one.

TVC15

« Reply #15710 on: February 13, 2018, 02:47:41 PM »

:six:
serge

samir

« Reply #15711 on: February 13, 2018, 02:51:18 PM »
is resetera the worst forum on the internet?

utter garbage

james

« Reply #15712 on: February 13, 2018, 02:52:05 PM »

I don't think resetera would have a problem with that one.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #15713 on: February 13, 2018, 02:55:48 PM »
I wish Nollywood and Ghaliwood movies got the praise they deserve instead of this Marvel shit.

Isn't that Monster Hunter shit basically the same as the complete distinguished mentally-challenged fellow comparing it to colonialism. Please think of the Diablos' beautiful cultural heritage while playing. 

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #15714 on: February 13, 2018, 03:01:04 PM »
Honestly, that is such a ridiculously hard set of counterfactuals to even discuss though.

What if Carthage had never met setbacks with Alexander The Great and went on to win the second Punic Wars? Who knows where the fuck the world would be right now. At a minimum you probably never get what became modern Christianity or Islam. So does the Aksumite Empire continue to survive and evolve with no Islamic Empire pushing into the Red Sea and Nile? Does a finicky climate and the harsher environment of Africa stagnate and do them in anyways?

There are any number of those historical flashpoints that had things tipped in a different direction, it's almost impossible to figure out where the path diverges too. I don't think it is completely unreasonable to suggest that had things tipped a different way that you could of seen North Africa and other locations be more of developmental hubs toward advanced civilization. It's also kinda ridiculous to assert something would of assuredly happened if X or Y never happened. Africa is not an easy place to live in. Hard to build a thriving, ongoing civilization in the heart of Africa when disease is much more prevalent due to evolutionary forces and a few fucking elephants could come by and eat up your entire crop yield in a day.

I was gonna say it might not be too late for Africa but at this point in world history what we have seen is a group of people go around conquering everybody, claiming land, clear-cutting forests and driving various animals to extinction in the name of growth and industry, and then quickly say "nobody else do what we just did, conservation and preservation is important."

Africa can't undergo their own industrial/societal revolution because that would necessitate making the land habitable by driving out some really nasty species and razing jungles.  Conservationists would get upset.
Uncle

Nola

« Reply #15715 on: February 13, 2018, 03:01:59 PM »

Turns out as a country becomes more diverse, it becomes increasingly financially wise to try and advertise and produce products catered toward a diverse array of audiences. Not sure why that automatically assumes the creative talent behind these products is always some nefarious capitalist ploy. A 200 million dollar, primarily black cast Hollywood movie, is going to evoke political discussion regardless of anything the studio does. Since there aren't a whole lot of those.

...Though talking about losing respect for people's priorities and wasting energy on meaningless events, as you spend hours a day lurking and hate-blogging a a fringe left-wing video games forum is a bit on the nose even for this thread.

Optimus

« Reply #15716 on: February 13, 2018, 03:11:45 PM »

Turns out as a country becomes more diverse, it becomes increasingly financially wise to try and advertise and produce products catered toward a diverse array of audiences. Not sure why that automatically assumes the creative talent behind these products is always some nefarious capitalist ploy. A 200 million dollar, primarily black cast Hollywood movie, is going to evoke political discussion regardless of anything the studio does. Since there aren't a whole lot of those.

...Though talking about losing respect for people's priorities and wasting energy on meaningless events, as you spend hours a day lurking and hate-blogging a a fringe left-wing video games forum is a bit on the nose even for this thread.

Turns out as a country become more pretentious, partisan and hypocritical it becomes increasingly financially wise to pander to the traits of narcissistic millennial idiots who think activism is posting on social media about fucking superhero movies.

And fyi, resetera isn't fringe left, it's the epitome of modern neoliberalism that uses these distinguished mentally-challenged social movements to distract from its very rightwing roots and economic principles. Hillary Clinton shills aren't fringe left, Jesus Christ.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #15717 on: February 13, 2018, 03:17:27 PM »
All you guys are arguing against me is that you're basic, shallow bitches.
The only thing shallow here are your posts on this topic and your inability to look at the forest beyond the trees.

"Oh well if you need something to relate to in media to like it, you're shallow"

That's such a bullshit cop-out, a shitty diversion. That tries the lame "let's pull this to it's ultimate end". The argument is not that people need something to relate to, not all the time though this is also a stupid argument because of course people like to see things they can relate to in media. Skin color, personalities, settings, behavior, whatever. You're being delusional if you can't understand that people respond to things that remind them of something anywhere on the measuring stick. I'm not Japanese, but I relate to the coming of age aspects of Evangelion or Devilman Crybaby. I'm not a struggling architect in LA, but I related to JGL's romantic frustrations in 500 Days of Summer. Responding to things usually means you've made some connection on some level.

You seem to think it has to absolute. "Oh well since of course someone doesn't think Captain America represents me 100% the entire idea of wanting to see a super hero who looks like them fails" which doesn't make any sense. Where it's well walked ground that many people sub consciously or not are drawn to characters that resemble them or what they want to resemble in some way, what they think or want to think. Captain America doesn't represent me, but he represent how I would like to be as an American maybe. Rouge of the X-Men doesn't represent me, but I relate to her inability to get close to people on some level and I like her as a character a lot more.

And while none of this has to be there for people to like characters or media, it is often there and a part of what drives people.

So the fact that you can't understand why someone would like the fact that they have a super-hero that looks like them is mind boggling.

But then it isn't because you did what a lot of white people do. You answered with the reply of well "I don't have to do that". Of course you don't. You are pandered to and you can afford not to. There will be millions of things you can relate to or see yourself in even if you don't want to.

Your post would be parody if it wasn't so seriously from you.

james

« Reply #15718 on: February 13, 2018, 03:18:59 PM »
I think it's really ridiculous that there's so much shit around Black Panther. The people saying "omg who cares about black panther" ad nauseam are the worst of it.

It's an extremely popular, mainstream movie with an almost entirely Black cast. Take a step back from the pop culture nerds you see on ERA and realize that this is just a fucking comic book movie meant for fun.

I might roll my eyes a bit when reading some hot takes about how bold Marvel is being for simply handling the story the way it's meant to be handled, but it's something that's really fun and important in the moment in that has yet to be done on this scale.

The amount of people complaining that this movie simply exists, or is successful, is pretty sad, because it's not even an indifference over it "just being a comic book movie", it's an active dislike of merely the concept that something like this exists.

Like, I really get that criticism of it being "just a comic book movie", but why REEEEEE about it so much if you earnestly don't care about it?

Don't get mad at the people that are hyped to see this movie or personally feel like they're better represented for its existence.

It was bad enough when we had too many white comic book nerds.

Do we really need to add to that by "diversifying" the number of people with garbage taste in movies?

Why create more neckbeards. Nobody wins.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #15719 on: February 13, 2018, 03:23:19 PM »
Where's my dutch superhero at? Eating cheese and smoking weed powers up her clogs and then she fights the ultimate dutch villain, The Ocean, in a field of tullips with windmills in the background. 

Kick that asshole back in the sea.